Year 6 (First Draft) #Wattys2...

By 32_books

The Year Rules were simple. Year 1- Crawl Year 2- Walk Year 3- Talk Year 4-Start learning second... More

-Synopsis-
-Chapter 1-
-Chapter 2-
-Chapter 3-
-Chapter 4-
-Chapter 5-
-Chapter 6-
-Chapter 7-
-Chapter 8-
-Chapter 9-
-Chapter 10-
-Chapter 11-
-Chapter 12-
-Chapter 14-
-Chapter 15-
-Chapter 16-
-Chapter 17-
-Chapter 18-
-Chapter 19-
-Chapter 20-
-Chapter 21-
-Chapter 22-
-Chapter 23-
-Chapter 24-
-Chapter 25-
-Chapter 26-
-Chapter 27-
-Chapter 28-
-Chapter 29-
-Chapter 30-
-Chapter 31-
-Chapter 32-
-Chapter 33-
-Chapter 34-
-Chapter 35-
-Chapter 36-
-Chapter 37-
-Chapter 38-
-Chapter 39-
-Chapter 40-
-Chapter 41-
-Chapter 42-
-Chapter 43-
-Chapter 44-
-Chapter 45-
-Chapter 46-
-Chapter 47- Final Chapter

-Chapter 13-

13.3K 615 192
By 32_books

  Kane called an early meeting this morning. The pounding sound of a fist on my door woke me up at six this morning, leaving me bone tired. Even in this state though, I feel like a force to be reckoned with. My tiredness brings that out in me. I left Amelia with a little boy by the name of Timmy, who promised me he wouldn’t let her out of his sight. I trusted him. A child isn’t so quick to betray, yet they are easiest to manipulate. That worries me, knowing that boy runs with Kane Porter.

  I slowly made my way down to the meeting, my feet dragging as I walked. I’m much more awake now, though. I had been the last to show up, my tardiness obvious in the large main room. Everyone had turned, their eyes focused on me, the girl who they are learning to trust. The girl who will destroy them.

  I sit on a small flimsy cushion now, trying to get comfortable for the tenth time, listening to Kane’s words.

  “For the time being, we are safe,” He says. His voice sounds hopeful, as if he can feel their safety withering, but he feels the need to hold on. “The Government believes our little scenario. As far as they know, Kane Porter is no more than a pile of ash, buried under a pile of rubble.”

  A few men around me sigh, and some of the more boisterous men cheer. They had been worried people wouldn’t believe the story. They hadn’t been entirely sure of themselves. I can’t blame them, though. Their plan wasn’t exactly Grade-A. A bomb that wasn’t even entirely real, gave away their home base. They are so very lucky that the Government didn’t send Agents in to investigate the rubble. They wouldn’t have found much. Certainly not the remains of their most wanted man. Not only that, though, but they would have been discovered.

  I feel my own type of relief wash over me. If they had been discovered, I would have been too. I try to imagine how that conversation would go. No Mr. Government Agent, I was going to turn them in! You can’t arrest me! Something tells me that would have gone over as well as an offensive joke.

  “But eventually,” Kane continues, his voice wavering ever so slightly. “We will have to fight back again, and they will know we are here! They will know that we are alive, well, and powerful. And that is a combination they shouldn’t ever try to go against!” Kane’s voice is deep, and his battle cries crack through the air like a whip.

  Men all around me stand, raising their fists. Kane moves up to a higher point, stepping onto a metal chair. Cheers erupt around him, and a sneer appears on his face. He is too confident. His plans with all fail. They will be the end of him and his followers. I stand too, but I keep my hands down by my thighs, not willing to cheer a battle cry that is not my own.

  I feel a hand on my shoulder, and spin around, glad to see it is only Charlie. He too, isn’t cheering, but I can see the need for change in his eyes. He may not be cheering, but his motives match Kane’s. They both want to defy the Government and take their place in a society they see fit. Part of me wants to congratulate them on their bravery and commitment to their cause. But most of me just wants to use them and their cause to get me back to where I want to be. A week ago I had no interest in going back, but once I discovered hope, it was like a fire ignited. And only my family can help me put it out.

  “You don’t seem to agree with Kane,” Charlie says, taking a seat next to me, pulling a cushion over next to me. He crosses his legs, and puts his elbows down, settling his chin in his flat palms. He turns, looking at me, waiting for me to defend myself. I don’t know if I can.

  “I am just weary,” I say. It isn’t completely false. Sure, I would love a world where the Government wouldn’t take children from their homes and throw them onto the dirty, cluttered streets. But I am not willing to die. I am not willing to give up my only chance to get back to a real life. Not for a flawed plan put together by a group of trouble loving men. I can’t do that.

  “Set your weariness aside, Newbie. We could use your help. I think it would be nice to have a woman’s thoughts thrown in here and there,” Charlie says. He has to raise his voice, the men around us still shouting, their voices creating a pounding pulse in the confined area. Suddenly I feel claustrophobic in this space, surrounded by men of all ages. Their voices are deep. Their movements are sharp and focused.

  I feel myself swaying, and a crippling pain forms in my head. Charlie’s voice is there, but I can’t understand what he is saying. Nothing coherent is coming from him. Not to me.

  Charlie’s hand appears on my shoulder again, and then I hear the pounding sound of footsteps behind me. I feel a cool gel like material cling to my temple, and I sigh, the pain created by the cheers turning to nothing more than a whisper.

  “I didn’t think they’d get this riled up,” A voice to my right says, and I see that it is Kane. “I wouldn’t have had her come down if I had known.”

  “Get back up there,” I say, lightly shoving Kane. “Your men need you.”

  Kane doesn’t think twice before running back up to his place in the spotlight. He climbs back up onto his chair, and raises his fist. The room falls silent, and everyone leans in, anticipating their leader’s words. His next statement sends a chill through me, and I understand why the Government wants a person like him under their control and away from the influential people. He is convincing.

  “We will be prepared. We will win. Nothing will be the same.”

  My head feels better now, and I lightly peel the blue patch off. I’m shocked to see it is no longer blue, and it has nearly flattened, no logger squishing under my touch. The blue gel must be the medicine. I hadn’t even considered that. The thought seems so obvious now that I almost laugh at my small mindedness.

  Breakfast is being served and I walk up to the preparation area, looking over my options. Bacon, eggs, and toast. I begin to wonder how they even get half of their meals when they are supposedly dead. Someone could spot them and turn them in.

  Timmy- the boy I left Amelia with- walks up to me, handing Amelia to me. I hold her in my arms, glad though when another little boy comes, dragging her box behind him. She isn’t heavy, I just don’t feel super well after not getting a full night’s sleep. Amelia fidgets as I lay her down. Her hands get tangled in my hair, and I gasp when she manages to pull a few strands of hair free. My scalp stings.

  “Could you watch her while I get something to eat?” I ask Timmy, clenching my teeth. Timmy nods, taking a seat next to Amelia’s box. I walk off, rubbing my head with my fingers. Man that actually hurt! I walk back up to the preparation area, and this time, I grab a plate and utensils, heading to where the cook is serving the food. He piles my plate high with scrambled eggs, five slices of bacon, and three pieces of toast.

  “You look like you could use it,” He says, his lips forming a small smile that nearly resembles a grimace. He must not smile often enough though, because his smile looks forced. I thank him, although I can’t envision myself eating the much food in one setting. I was lucky if I had one apple for a whole day on the street. My stomach isn’t used to eating much. Even when I had the money for food, my parents never believed in us spoiling ourselves like pigs. Maybe my parents saw faults in the Government, just like Kane. Or maybe they just wanted healthy kids. I honestly don’t know. But now that I think about it- my parents had some strange habits that I had vaguely noticed. They wouldn’t always keep up with the News. Everyone else did. They wouldn’t attend every Social Gathering held by the Government. They always said they were sick, but I had never noticed the symptoms.

  Suddenly it dawns on me. A Social Gathering. What better place to give up the Governments most wanted criminal and his men, than a party full of Government Agents and partygoers. My mind whirs into action. Could I convince Kane and his men to go to a Social Gathering if he thought he could get something out of it? What if the Government Leader himself was there? He usually attends. How could Kane pass that up? I reach for my LR-5 which I had been smart enough to grab before leaving my room this morning.

  I check the News, looking for any news on a Social Gathering coming up. Sure enough, there is news of one.

  NEWS: SOCIAL GATHERING--- SAID TO BE THE BIGGEST THIS YEAR--- YEAR 18 AND ABOVE--- PERMITTED TO ATTEND--- ID MUST BE SHOWN AT DOOR FOR CLEARENCE---

  A small part of my hope wavers. IDs? I don’t have an ID, and I guarantee the men here don’t either. Could we forge some? Could we make ourselves into the perfect party guests? I’m too excited now to eat, so I just look around the room, looking for Charlie. I see him. His back is to me, and he is carrying an empty plate. I begin to walk towards him, setting my plate on a chair near Amelia’s box. I see Timmy eye the untouched food, and I nod in approval. He immediately reaches for the fork and digs in. I can’t eat now.

  “Charlie,” I say. “I have a plan. You said you wanted a woman’s input?”

  Charlie chuckles, his voice deep.

  ”I didn’t think I’d get one this fast. What’s your plan, Newbie?” He asks. I can almost guarantee that he isn’t expecting what I am about to say. I surprise myself with the easiness of the lie.

  “Social Gathering, two nights from now. We go and we stir up some trouble,” My words sound so sure. Am I sure? Will this plan even be put into consideration? Or will I get shot down, put back where I started from. Nowhere.

  Charlie sends me an incredulous look, his eyebrows raised. He sets his plate down on top of a stack of dirty dishes then folds his arms over his chest. Whatever is running through his head right now, he is guarding well. I can only imagine he thinks I’m crazy. Why would anyone believe me at this point? What have I done for any of them?

  “I think you are forgetting that we are supposed to lay low. We are supposed to be dead you know,” Charlie begins to turn away, but I reach out, forcing him to face me. He needs to listen; to hear me out.

  “We can do it. But I’m going to need some help if we want to be ready in two days. I’m going to need a lot of help. I know I am going to need some help from Paul,” I say. “And you and Kane will need to approve my plan.”

  “I still don’t get it,” Charlie admits, sighing. “But if you’re so sure about this plan of yours. I’m willing to listen. I’m sure Kane will be too.”

  I grin.

  One small step, and he has already fallen into the start of my trap.

  One small step, and I have already gained the upperhand.

  Maybe this will work out after all.

A/N Woah! Thoughts? Did you see that coming? I honestly didn't haha :D I hope this chapter was long enough. I could have honestly kept going, but I felt like that was a good chapter ender. How do you think her plan will go? Will Kane and Charlie even agree with Felisha?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 78.4K 50
Part 2 of The Runner series. ================================== The Runner's Rebellion was only the beginning. Tensions run high as the City struggle...
1.2K 112 40
You're a Star Wars fan on this planet. Until one day Imperial ships drop out of Hyperspace to claim the Earth for the Empire. You find out you're at...
873 243 56
*wattys 2018 shortlist* *writer's awards sci-fi winner* It all started with an accident. Through vast consolidation begets a single empire borderin...
212K 5.7K 37
Celeste is the daughter of the Citizen Principia, but when she stumbles upon a conspiracy and is kidnapped by rebels, the future of Verium rests in h...