Memoir of the Messenger (tras...

By 01LuNa08

The war has ended, they had finally killed the man whose sole ambition is to conquer the world, the White Sta... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
End

Chapter 6

15.7K 1K 341
By 01LuNa08

Long before, they have thought that it was Cale who is distancing himself first and they just followed suit.

But in reality, it was the opposite.

They didn't realize that they are the ones who pushed Cale away from them.

Then again, they wouldn't have noticed, although they had shared a roof for years and even shared the same surname they never concern themselves with others' problems and often disregarded each other.

Choi han and the others previously have thought his behavior purely because he was born in a wealthy family and was pampered since birth, but have now realized it was far from the truth.

The Citizens who openly denounced him before and who would start throwing curses at him, felt a plague of remorse swept over them, and a strong sense of guilt and shame.

But it was already too late, the youth who sat alone at the end had fully closed off his heart.

The scene faded and was replaced by two figures walking down the hallway, a huge distance can be seen between them.

A five years old Basen walks ahead, his shoulders slumped. The candle's glaring light glints in his reflective tearful eyes. The tip of his nose was faintly red.

While Cale on the other hand, looks furious, his eyes narrowed.

The others look worried and at the same time curious, as to what makes the young masters in that way.

Even Violan, who knows about what goes on in the Henituse territory, looked slightly confused, and glance at his son as if asking.

Basen lowered his eyes for a moment, thinking how to say it. Then he raised his head and cleared his throat. "I think this was the time when I had a small dispute with some of our cousins."

Violan didn't press him anymore as she understood immediately what had happened, while the others gave him a look of sympathy.

Nobles tend to have issues with ones they called half-bloods or bastards, what more to someone that doesn't have the same blood as theirs.

Even though the Count always said, Basen is his child and has his blood, it doesn't take a smart person to know it wasn't the truth.

It was the main reason why no one in their relatives likes him or even acknowledged him as one of the Henituse and instantly expressed his disdain to him.

Basen arrived with his mother at the Henituse household at the age of 5. And Violan already had given birth to Basen before her first meeting with the Count.

That's why they all threw a fit and were unhappy when his father announced him as one of his possible heirs.

It was only when his older brother started acting trash and maybe, through his perseverance and hard work, that they started to reconsider him worthy of such a title.

And finally placed their hopes in him, when his older brother decided to abandon them during the war.

But then again, they would have chosen anyone other than Cale at that time.

They looked back and saw the distance between the two of them quickly disappear when Cale who had been trailing behind Basen, fasten his pace to catch up to him.

They watched as Cale grabbed Basen by his shoulder and dragged him inside an empty room.

The small Basen inhaled sharply as he found himself being dragged.

Cale closed the door before he look at him in the eyes and spoke lowly. "Basen. You are part of the Henituse household. Remember that. No matter where you go, your family name is Henituse. Got it?"

For a moment, they were taken aback by what he said. They didn't expect Cale would say things like that.

Seeing him having no response he asked. "Don't you remember what father said?"

"Listen to me unless you are an idiot. Tell people that the Henituse blood flows through you. Tell them that no matter what." he hissed.

But Basen only shook his head in return and subconsciously took two steps backward and his speech was incoherent." I-I couldn't possibly-"

"-Shut the hell up." Cale immediately cuts him off, his eyes reflecting annoyance, and lowered his voice threateningly. "And do as I said. Otherwise, you won't be able to live in this house.

Cale approached him and clasped his shoulders tightly but not enough to hurt him and gave him a curt shake as he asked coldly. "Do you think that the cousins and the collateral family will leave you alone?"

Not waiting for a reply, Cale asked him again. "Are you going to be dumb?"

Basen who couldn't control his overwhelming emotion anymore has burst into tears, his head hung low as he tried to wipe the tears and snot with his sleeves.

Cale scoffed at him but his expression became tender as he tentatively reached out a hand and gently patted the top of Basen's head as the tears flowed down uncontrollably from his eyes.

Their gaze fixed on the two brothers.

In Basen's memories, he only remembered his cousin calling him names and him walking out, leading him to that situation where Cale raised his voice at him, scolding him.

His words, let alone having that kind of tone may come out as harsh and cruel, but his actions were very gentle.

However, Basen was too hurt at that time to notice, too scared to think, and too young to even remember.

But Basen who is now an adult and more mature has truly realized his brother only did it with good intentions.

It saddens him how he only realized it now. His brother wasn't exactly scolding him, and rather, Cale was telling him to stand up for himself.

And he is in fact, a Henituse.

Basen felt frustrated with himself and can't help but wonder if he had chosen to look up that time and maybe stop crying even for a damn second.

Will he notice the concerned gaze that fell heavily only for him? The meaning behind his older brother's words?

His brother has long acknowledged him as a Henituse?

Basen knew his question would be left unanswered, that's why he withdrew all his questions back into the depths of his heart as he sighed heavily.

Alberu studied the red-haired, not only do they have several similarities, they wildly differed from each other too.

For one, his relationship with his step-siblings.

And it seems like Cale was just never been good with words and has always been misunderstood. Unlike Alberu, who is born with a glib tongue, and could cleverly charm the people around him.

The two brothers disappeared from their sight and were replaced by Cale who stood against one wall, two servants appears to be gossiping at the other side.

"It's a peaceful morning isn't it?" a small smile placed on her lips.

The other darted her eyes around, as though worried that someone might hear them before casually leaning in as she whispered. "It should be... Especially the young master is absent."

Cale turned stiff as he slowly crouch down, the grievances in his heart overflowed.

she quickly shushed her as she playfully smacked her shoulder.

The other only rolled her eyes at her and said. "It's not like I'm lying, it's true... You have seen it too didn't you?"

"They are finally eating together like a real family this morning."

She let out a wistful sigh before adding. "I hope every day is as peaceful as this."

"Then are you suggesting the young master should always be absent?"

"I never said that but... Who wouldn't?"

"You-"

"It's not like it's only me who thinks that way." she defended herself as she raised her brow and asked. "Don't you wish for that as well?"

Taking her silence as a yes, she continued. "We all know, everyone in this household thinks that way."

Cale looked as though he wanted to laugh, his lips curling up in a pained smile, hugging his knees.

He lowered his head and unconsciously closed his fist.

They couldn't hear his thoughts are but it was not difficult to guess at the matter.

He was hurt beyond measure.

After a while, Cale stood up, but instead of confronting them, he retreated to his room.

The others who watched silently felt a tugging heartache and yearned to hold the youth in their arms to comfort him.

While the Henituse thought back to those times Cale didn't join them eating, always arriving late or just in time after they finish eating.

They thought it was because he didn't want to dine with them as he haven't accepted them yet, and for the latter reason are the hangover.

They have never thought that this would be the case, never imagined he would feel that kind of way.

The scenery changes as Cale strut away and is replaced by vague images of a red-haired that grew older and older, his eyes now filled with mistrust and having a detached temperament. Wearing more and more luxurious clothing.

The layers of his clothes seemed to have doubled along with the amount of wine he consumed, day by day.

While Deruth watched with a pained expression, sadness seeped into his eyes.

Until the scenery put to a halt.

It was one of the expensive taverns in the Henituse territory.

Cale sat alone at a table, as he finishes a couple of bottles of alcohol by himself, his cheeks were red as his hair.

But the peaceful atmosphere didn't last long when a commotion can be heard.

His sharp, reddish-brown eyes flickered across the other side of the thick entry door, where a skinny, young boy with many scars around his body, is standing and surrounded by a couple of men, base on their looks and the way they dressed, they could guess they are gangsters.

the boy looked fierce but it was evident he was terrified as his body didn't stop quivering.

Litana leaned forward and held her breath, waiting for the others to interfere.

And soon turn into distress as no one paid attention to them.

It was apparent they all turned blind towards the commotion as they continued to mind their own business.

But not of all them.

Cale clicked his tongue in obvious annoyance before he quickly finishes the remaining half of his drink in one gulp.

He raised his arm and didn't think twice about throwing the bottle across the room. It landed just right above the gangster's head before exclaiming. "Shut up!"

The owner along with the waiter who witnessed it, quickly went upstairs while the bystanders hurried outside with their heads lowered, showing that they did not wish to be involved with them.

The gangsters snarled at him in anger, but Cale didn't look frightened as he only scoffed at him and even stared right back at him as he unconsciously brushed a hand over his clothes.

The gangsters looked as though they wanted to refute, but quickly withdrew as soon they recognized his unique red hair.

Not waiting for them to talk, he spoke as if he owns the place, his voice turned colder. "Leave."

And soon enough only the young boy and Cale were left inside.

The young boy looked blankly at him as his thoughts began to wander.

"What are you still doing here?" Cale grumbled, ripping him out of his thoughts.

The boy pursed his lips and spoke. "I'm here to have a drink."

Cale only raised his brow at him as the boy continued. "They... They told me that drinking will solve all of your problems."

Cale paused for a moment before chuckling, the kind that gives you a chill down your spine, and spoke. "Whoever told you that kid, had lied to you."

he furrowed his brows and asked. "And what makes you say that?"

He swept a cold look at him, he answered nonchalantly. "Because it doesn't solve mine."

he turned quiet, thinking for a moment. "Then... Why are you still drinking?" he asked.

"Just because." and grabbed a bottle of alcohol that they didn't realize he opened earlier, from the table.

The boy wasn't satisfied with his answer and waiting for him to continue, but Cale didn't look like he will speak any time soon. And so, he bowed his head, offering silent gratitude, before heading out.

Leaving Cale all alone.

After a moment of stillness, Cale's expression loosened up for a moment, looking down at the bottle of wine in his hand, he spoke softly. "Because it helps me, even just for a while." Before drinking from it.

The others who heard him and witnessed everything from the start, have finally seen a different light of Cale than they always did and it made them wish they had known it beforehand.

They gradually understand the meaning behind why he acted that way and why he did those things.

They once thought he wore those extravagant clothes to gloat at their faces.

But it turns out he essentially uses it as a security blanket, it gives him a sense of protection. He uses it as a shield.

The smug look on his face and the cold gaze was akin to a mask, as he doesn't want to appear vulnerable in front of them, something he has always worn, and what they failed to recognize.

And liquor was some sort of companion, his gate away-hope.

He drank and drank in the hopes of drowning his sorrows and misery away, not realizing the one that is drowning is only himself.

How horrible it was, suffocating without dying.

The feeling of forever drowning, with no one to pull him out, no one to save him.

It is something that no one knew, except the person in front of them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 9K 63
A fanfiction for Lout of the Count's Family written by Yu Ryeo Han. I do not own the Lout of the Count's Family. This is just a FANFICTION. Note: Thi...
5.8K 376 22
The war with the White Star has come to an end and peace was now reigning over and so it was time for Cale to address the problem he has to carry for...
38.2K 2.7K 30
in a world where there are no hunters and no white star, there's a lot more time for petty politics and relationship drama og cale x alberu PLEASE NO...
9.8K 607 9
The son of a Count in Northeast of Roan Kingdom, is named Cale Henituse, had lost his mother and his father had neglected him. The once cheerful chil...