The Librarian

By lyttlejoe

Deadly St. Louis epidemics of cholera and typhoid in the mid 1800s had taken her father and changed Harriet's... More

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 20
Episode 21
Episode 22
Episode 23
Episode 24
Episode 25

Episode 6

75 12 25
By lyttlejoe

Colonel Stark stood in front of the sheriff's desk and counted out an amount from a handful of bills.

"None of my business what he did, Sheriff. I hired him to help bring my herd to auction and I honour my contracts. This is what he's owed. Other than that, our business is done."

"That's fine, Mr. Stark, I'm sure he'll be happy to be able to pay his fine and get out of my jail . . . and my town."

"Like I said, my business with him is done, and now that they are all paid off, I have no more business with any of them." The Colonel touched his brim and left the office.

Becker walked back to the cells and stood looking in at Larkin.

"Colonel Stark brung your share from the drive," He waved the bills like a fan.

Larkin dragged himself up from the cot and stumbled toward the bars.

"'Bout time. How much?"

"Lotta dinero for a polecat like you."

"How much?"

"I counts out to fifty dollars." Becker said. "'Course, less the fine for your attack on the school marm, you get thirty." He held out the bills.

"You old bugger!" Larkin's hand shot through the bars, reaching for the sheriff's neck.

Becker stepped easily out of reach, grinning evilly. "That little display just cost you another five." He threw the bills into the cell and left the room.

"Havin' trouble with your prisoner, Dan?"

Becker grunted. "Nothin' I can't handle, Doc. What can I do for you?"

"Couple of my patients, friends of his, want to know if you'll let him out. The new buyers are driving to the rail head and they're lookin' for hires. These boys are going along."

"Suits me. I'll fetch him now. Tell his friends, first move to make trouble and I'll lock the lot of them up."

Becker and the doc stood in front of the jail and watched the cowboys ride off toward the pens and out of town.

"Good riddance," Becker said.

"He had some fiery words for you, Dan."

"Yeah, well I took half his pay in fines, figure on givin' half that to Miss Holden."

"Not quite the old mule you like to let on are you?"

"You let on and you'll soon find out." Becker said goodbye, wearing a wry smile.

****

"You didn't join the new drive?"

"Had enough of that for a while." Cass said, looking up from his meal. "How come you didn't?"

"Aah, some of the boys got Larkin outta the hoosegow and took him with 'em. I had enough of him on one drive." Higby pulled out a chair and sat down. "So whatta you gonna do? I heard they was looking for wranglers back down near the Peyote."

"I got some business to take care of." Cass chewed his last bite and shoved the plate away.

"Up at Dolly's?" Higby leered and tilted back on his chair.

"Not after all the spokes you soaks put in that wheel."

"Ho, ho! You find sumpthin' better?"

"I aim to." Cass left some money on the table and looked at his trail companion. "You really going to take the wranglin' job?"

"You got sumpthin' better?"

"Maybe. I could use some help with what I wanna do."

The chair banged back down and Higby rested his forearms on the table. "Is there money in it?"

Cass didn't care about any money but it might be profitable to spend some of his own for the help, he thought.

"Some. Gimme a week and I'll pay you three dollars. That's as good as wranglin' money and you don't have to go nowhere."

"Three dollars. I reckon I can sure give up a week for that, what's the job?"

****

Amanda was speechless, and remained that way as Sheriff Becker tipped his hat and wished her a good day when he left the hotel room.

"That was a very generous act," Harriet observed, watching her friend holding the money. "Thirteen dollars is a mighty sum."

Amanda looked up, her eyes filling and she dropped the money, covering her face with her hands.

"Now, now, it's all right. You are safe and you need to put what happened out of your mind." Harriet knew that was empty advice. Even if Amanda's experience was far less traumatic than her own, she knew the memories would never leave. Instead they were burned into a part of her mind, influencing every moment of every day.

The most natural or mundane greetings from a man, a smile of innocent recognition, all brought her defences to the fore, steeling her senses for any hint of that possible transgression. Amanda may or may not feel that as deeply but she would remember, and future relationships would all fall under the same tainted looking glass.

Harriet suddenly found herself in an embrace, Amanda's tears damp on her neck and murmurs of need tickling her ear. Gently, she eased the woman away and sat her on the bed.

"I- I feel dirty somehow accepting money . . ."

"You needn't. That animal was fined for what he did and the sheriff felt you should be compensated - he did tear your blouse." Harriet picked up the bills and put them on the bed beside Amanda. "Think of how you can use it. Turn what it represented into something useful and good. Maybe for your school children."

"Oh, Harriet, what would I have done without a friend like you. I don't have a social life or even a family. You held out your hand when I needed both."

"It's not an easy country for women, I've found. We need to support one another. Besides, I'm in the same position, so having you as a friend means as much to me." She patted Amanda's hand, smiling.

Amanda stood and straightened her skirt then picked up the money, folded it and pushed it into her pocket. "I won't forget what you did for me, Harriet. Going back to my place alone – I would have been a wreck."

"Come, I'll walk you home now so you don't have to feel like the whole town is staring at you . . . even if they are." Harriet smiled widely and stood as well, taking Amanda's hand.

"You are so strong. I think I would have-"

"Don't think. Forget it. Find something else to occupy your mind." The tone was a little harder and Amanda bit her lip.

"Sorry. You're right."

They left the hotel and walked calmly and boldly down the boardwalk in front of the businesses. Amanda held the shawl closed over her torn blouse and felt safe, with her arm through her friend's. At the livery, Cletus Brown set down his feed bucket and approached the two women, hat in hand.

"Miss Amanda, it sure pained the missus and me to hear about your troubles. She's tidied up your room out back there and put fresh flowers in, and would like you to join us for dinner so you don't have to work." He acknowledged Harriet with a nod.

"Thank you, Cletus. Please tell Martha thank you too. I think I'm just going to have a good wash and an early to bed. I'm very tired."

"Sure. Will do. I understand, Miss Amanda." He bounced awkwardly from foot to foot. "I'll tell Martha, you get a good rest. Terrible thing." He scurried away and they walked behind the stable to the small cabin Amanda stayed in.

"This is very cozy," Harriet said, sniffing the fresh flowers and gazing about.

"It used to be a tack house but Cletus moved it all to a small extension on the stable and let me stay here. After moving from family to family of my students, getting settled here was heaven."

"It's lovely. I'm jealous." Harriet took her hands. "You get that rest and bring the shawl back later. If you need anything else just—"

Amanda leaned forward and kissed Harriet then stepped back, wide-eyed and shocked.

"Oh!" Her face flamed and she turned away. "I- that was- oh . . ."

Blinking and caught off guard, Harriet covered her mouth then moved to the door.

"I was going to say- I was going to say, if you need anything else just come and see me at the library."

"I'm sorry – I didn't, mean . . ."

"It was just a nervous impulse, forget it. You get that rest." Harriet left the cabin and walked quickly back past the livery to the street, her head churning with possible implications.

She went to the library and let herself in, locking the door behind her and sitting woodenly at her desk. It was just a nervous impulse . . . wasn't it?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58 0 30
a lady lived most of her life in the city--or so she thought--until she remembers who she really is... what her family really is I'll make a sequel o...
221 3 18
Set in a trailer park in a small town in the USA, there lives me. My mom, my sister, and my brother. Then, there is my father. What I am about to te...
582 2 12
Dreams a party animal to say the least, a wild card, someone that's always down for whatever whenever. But she's also the queen of getting her get ba...
467 0 23
Harriet, a girl who has dreamed of love since she was very young, will finally discover the truth about it. She's always believed that love was good...