Golden Destiny

By FelicityGWrites

Mia Larkin, born to a latent wolf and her pack's Beta, was rejected by her destined mate because of her possi... More

Chapter 1. - Mia
Chapter 2. - Harper
Chapter 3. - Mate
Chapter 4. - Realizations
Chapter 5. - Royalty
Chapter 6. - Character
Chapter 7. - Severed
Chapter 8. - Attack
Chapter 9. - Ascension
Chapter 10. - Revelations
Chapter 11. - Second Thoughts
Author's Note
Chapter 12. Alexei
Chapter 13. Turning Tides
Chapter 14. Recognition
Chapter 15. Backtrack
Chapter 17. Pillars
Chapter 18. Curiosity

Chapter 16. Substitute

83 10 13
By FelicityGWrites

I had been showing Veren around the school for three days. Harper, while respectful to him, kept on asking if Veren knew when Alexei was coming back. I think she was just missing Dimitri, which I knew I had to ask her about. In detail.

On Tuesday, I found out that Veren was very candid when he told me that he knew about the prophecy, that he was one of the players in it, and that he knew about my true lineage. It turns out that the four other ruling families had made sure to apprise their own about the roles they might play in it. That must have been nice.

At lunch on Wednesday, Harper and I were waiting for Veren by the tables outside school when Adam came up to us.

"Mia, can I talk to you?" He asked. "In private," he added, looking pointedly at Harper who rolled her eyes and stepped a few feet away when I gave her a nod.

"What is it?"

"I want to talk to you about our mating," he told me very casually.

My jaw dropped.

"What? You think it's a foregone conclusion?" I told him scathingly.

He looked confused.

"I don't understand. I had been very nice to you for the past weeks," he said.

I raised an eyebrow.

"And you think being a decent person to me for the first time in a long time makes up for the bullying you and your friends put me through? You think that makes up for the fact that you rejected me?" I told him in a very low voice.

"But when you stood between me and that rogue as wolf, I thought-"

Seriously? I cut him off before he could continue.

"What? You thought that me doing that meant that I was choosing you as my mate?" I laughed. Like belly laughed.

"You are obviously not acquainted with how decent people act, Adam. I protected you because no one else could at that time and because your father always told us to do all we could to protect your family. I was doing what I had always been taught ever since I was a pup. It had nothing to do with what you think I feel for you."

The confusion was still evident on his face.

"But you shifted. Dad said-" his voice tapered off.

"I know what your dad thought. That my desire to protect you was because of the matebond. He thought that because of that, my wolf came out to defend my mate. Newsflash, Adam. There is no matebond. You severed it, remember? When you rejected me. When you asked for the Moon Goddess to break that link between us."

He was silent. So I continued.

"And I highly doubt you really want us to be mated. I saw how you and Tawny were on Saturday night. It's clear to everyone that you still choose her," I told him.

"You jealous?" He smirked.

I wanted to claw that expression off his face. But since that was a very real possibility, I took a deep breath to calm myself.

"No, Adam. I feel nothing for you. There is nothing in me that an emotion like jealousy could possibly spring out of."

He stepped closer to me and I felt Harper do the same.

"Look, Mia. Cards on the table, even if I want to be mated to you, I still prefer Tawny. She's in my social circle and will make a great Luna to this pack because they respect her. Even if you can now shift, your mother still can't and that doesn't look good for me. But I need you. Let's not kid ourselves that a mating between us will be a love match. The fact is, I need you to bring my wolf back, that's it. If you agree to this, then I promise that all the taunts and jeers from my friends will stop immediately because I'll make sure they do. And when I'm Alpha, I might even lay down as pack law that no harm, verbal or otherwise will come to your mother."

I saw red. I felt my body shaking and I just knew that I was on the verge of shifting. And for the life of me, I didn't want to stop myself.

"And when I'm King, I might lay down as shifter law that Alphas who don't do what they're supposed to in order to protect each and every pack member should be promptly and unceremoniously relieved of their station. As you may know, I'm sure I'll get the agreement of the Russian Crown," I heard a deep voice behind me say.

I turned around and saw Veren, his arms crossed in front of his chest casually but I noticed his stance was very stiff.

I relaxed when he winked at me. He then turned his attention back to the wannabe Alpha.

"I'd be careful with your words, future Alpha. You might think you're the big fish around here, but in case you didn't notice, there are two members of the royal families in this school." He finished.

Veren then walked up to me, gently took me by the elbow and led me to his truck, a very unassuming Ranger. Harper followed behind us, but not before shooting Adam a look that said, "Dare to follow us at your own risk."

When the three of us were inside the cab of the truck, I turned to Veren and told him, "Thanks, but you shouldn't have told Adam about the royalty thing. He might get suspicious."

Veren smiled, "With how thick that boy's head is, he would simply assume that I was referring to Alexei."

"Speaking of Prince Alexei, when is he coming back?" Harper spoke up from the backseat.

At that moment, Veren's phone rang. He took it out of his pocket and I saw a naughty smile form on his face.

"Speaking of the devil," he muttered. Then he turned to Harper and said, "Did you know that saying the devil's name might cause him to appear? Or in this case, connect via phone call."

He answered the phone but spoke in what I assume was Russian so I couldn't understand. Harper, meanwhile, looked giddy.

Veren ended the call and started the car.

"Maybe you'll back off now, huh Prince Veren?" Harper asked him.

"We'll see what happens," he answered.

———0———

The next day, the principal announced that there was a new member of the faculty, a substitute guidance counselor. He encouraged everyone to talk to her about absolutely anything, but specially about the events of the past week.

I was surprised when I was called out of History class and told to meet the new counselor. When I got to her office, her secretary told me to just walk right in and that Ms. Bardeen had been waiting for me.

I knocked twice on the door and opened it when I heard a musical voice tell me to come in. The moment I stepped inside, Ms. Bardeen went to the door to shut it, took my hands in hers and smiled.

"It is my honor to meet you Princess Mia. I am Nevaeh, a Seer from the Temple of the Goddess," she said reverently.

That explained it. I almost panicked when I smelled she was wolf and when she called me "princess" but her being a Seer made sense. Although mom hadn't really explained much about the Temple of the Goddess, she did say that the prophecy was given to one of the Seers there.

"Thank you, Ms. Bardeen. It's a pleasure to meet you, as well," I told her.

She let go of my hands and sat me down on the couch by the door.

"You must have a lot of questions about what is to come. I am here to answer what I can. I assume Princess Sophie has talked about the prophecy?" She asked.

"You know my mom?" I asked, surprised.

Ms. Bardeen smiled once again.

"Yes. I consider her an old friend. I first met her when she went to the Temple in her youth, when the prophecy was first made known to her. I remember how she despaired at the thought of her being castoff by her mate. But you must know, Princess, that what she feared the most was that it was going to happen to you," she said, the sympathy clear in her eyes.

I nodded.

"Now, Princess, do you have any questions for me at all?"

I thought about it and asked the first question that came to mind.

"Why aren't my brothers' furs white? I thought members of the royal families have white furs?"

She laughed gently and it was like a song was sounding through the air.

"Such an inquisitive mind. I have to say, I'm surprised that with the dearth of knowledge you can now access, the first thing you ask is about the color of your brothers' furs. Very well. That is a widely believed notion, and while it is mostly true, that idea was circulated to protect the princes and princesses before their time."

I shook my head. "I'm sorry. I don't know what that means."

"Those who come from royal lineages have common coats until they are mated. After the ceremony, during the first run with their mate is when the new coat is revealed. It is believed that it is the blessing of the Moon Goddess that turns their furs white."

"But dad is a brown wolf," I told her.

"Yes, interesting, isn't it? Your family's true power must be hidden and the Moon Goddess made it so that you father's fur stayed the same," she said in a contemplative voice.

"But, if that's the case, then why is my wolf white? I haven't mated yet."

"That, dear Princess, is testament to the role you must play in the war that is to come. All five of you who are referred to in the prophecy have white coats, and can shift to light before shifting to fur," she explained.

A part of me was still refusing to believe it, but I moved on.

"You said, 'all five of us.' The prophecy talks about three matepairs. Who's the sixth wolf in the prophecy," I asked.

Her smile grew bigger.

"I see you have your mom's brains. As to your question, all will be revealed in time. While we Seers see what the Moon Goddess wishes us to see, we are not at liberty to disclose all She makes known to us."

Fair enough.

"Do you have any more questions, Your Highness?" She asked.

I shook my head no. "Is it okay if I come to see you when I do have questions?" I asked her.

"Of course, Princess. This is why I am here. Also, I'm here to help your brother actively see the events that might affect you."

"Jarick?"

"Yes. The Prince's visions are very useful but he must learn to seek out them out in order to protect you."

There was a knock on her door.

She stood and opened it and I heard her secretary say that a student wanted to see Ms. Bardeen. I stood up and gathered my things.

"Thank you, Ms. Bardeen." I told her.

She faced me and gave a slight bow.

"Anytime, Ms. Larkin."

———0———

As we were leaving school in the afternoon, while Veren, who shared last period with me, and I were waiting for Harper, a group of girls which included Ally, Jessie's girlfriend who was also Tawny's sister walked by us.

"I don't understand her appeal to the princes. She's a nobody. I mean, sure, she can shift now, but so can all of us. There's absolutely nothing special about her," Ally stage whispered, clearly wanting me to hear her.

The girls surrounding her were silent, perhaps because of the dark look Veren sent them when he heard it as well.

"I mean, even Jessie said that she's like a third class citizen even at home. Her brothers don't pay her attention, even her dad is always out of the house when she's there! Can you believe that? I mean, something must be really wrong with you to have your dad not want to be around you," she laughed.

Inasmuch as I knew that there was a reason for that, it hurt that she knew about it and that she was broadcasting it to every wolf within hearing distance.

"Hey, babe! Tell them!" I heard Ally call out.

I followed her gaze and saw my baby brother walking towards her.

"Tell them what?" He asked as he placed a kiss on her upturned lips.

"That your sister is an outcast even in your house. I was telling the girls that it's totally weird that the princes seem to be enthralled by her when her own family doesn't want her," Ally said in that annoying voice.

Jessie looked up and met my eyes, and with a smirk, told her and her friends, "Yeah, that's true. Although things have changed now that she can shift."

I closed my eyes and bowed my head, trying to fight the tears that wanted to make their way down my face.

"She's still a total weirdo, though. I'm sure her mom is the only one who really loves her. You know, because they're both weirdos and all," Ally laughed.

I balled up my fists, trying to stop myself from clawing her throat out. I can't believe Jessie said nothing when she began talking about mom! That he didn't defend me was unfortunate, but expected. But mom? Had he been allowing his so-called friends to talk about our mother this whole time?

Right before I took a step towards the group, I felt Veren's arm snake behind my back and pull me to his chest to face him. Once I was right in front of him, almost no space between us, he placed his hands on the sides of my face and wiped away the tears that had started to fall.

"They're just words, princess," he whispered. "Just words said by juvenile wolves who don't know any better. You know what's important, you know what matters. Don't let the immature taunts of wolves who you know should bow down before you get to you."

I kept looking at his every color eyes and took a deep breath. Then I nodded.

He let me go, looked over my head and smirked.

"I believe you owe me dinner and a movie perhaps, since I so effectively stopped you from committing wolficide," he chuckled.

Because this was true, I was about to open my mouth when I heard a dear, familiar voice.

"That's not happening."

I turned around and the first person I saw was Harper, who was smiling like a loon and had Dima's arm around her shoulders.

"Look Mia! Alexei's back!"

I felt a smile begin to form on my face. Something in me wanted to run to Alexei, to touch him, but I stopped myself.

"Hey, Mia," he smiled at me warmly.

I gave him a little wave then felt my cheeks warm. Dima and Mischa came over to hug me, but I noticed that Alexei didn't. I was disappointed, since he was a bit touchy-feely before leaving for Russia.

"You mind letting her go, Veren?" He pointedly asked the prince.

Veren chuckled and gave a shake of his head. I didn't notice that he had his arm around my shoulders, but a few moments after Alexei's demand, he stepped away from me and went to Alexei and gave him that half hug, back thump, handshake thing that boys did.

"Let's run," Veren invited. I thought the invite was for all of us, and I was excited to let Alexei see my wolf, but the two of them began running towards the forest, leaving me, Harper, and Alexei's boys.

I turned to Harper and saw that she and Dima were busy whispering to each other so I decided to just head home.

"Hey, Harp, I'm gonna go ahead. See you tomorrow," I called out to her.

She nodded at me and Mischa offered to drive me home, which I gladly accepted.

———0———

The next day, Ms. Bardeen, whom mom told me to call Nevaeh outside school called me to her office during last period. It was a relief to skip that class since I shared it with Alexei and he had been weird since he came back yesterday.

While he still sat with us at lunch, he seemed to be keeping his distance from me. Before he left, he would always sit beside me, playing with my hair or something. But today, nothing. He sat in front of me, putting the table between us and one time, I caught him flinch when my fingers almost touched his as we both went for the fries that Veren got for us to share.

Whatever.

When I got to Ms. Bardeen's office, she asked me to shut the door and we sat down on the same couch we shared the day before.

"How have you been, Princess?" She asked.

I shrugged, not saying a word.

"I noticed that Prince Alexei's back today. Have you spent time together?"

Again, I shrugged.

Her eyebrows knit together.

"Is something wrong, Princess?"

I gave a sigh, debating on whether I should tell a Seer about my boy problems.

"I'm here for lots of reasons, Princess Mia. And while one of them has to do with providing you with the information you need, I'm also here as a counselor, as a friend."

My jaw dropped.

"You can read minds?" I breathed out.

She let out a soft giggle. "No. But that debate in your brain is very clear on your face."

I took a deep breath and let it out.

"As a Seer, are you bound to tell a Prince what I'm about to say if he asks?" I asked her, nervous about Alexei knowing about the feelings he evokes in me, and terrified that he doesn't care.

Ms. Bardeen took one of my hands and held it tight.

"I am bound by no one but the Moon Goddess, Princess. No earthly King or Queen, Princess or Prince can command me to divulge my secrets," she told me. "After all, we Seers must be able to resist spilling to royalty the secrets that the Moon Goddess has revealed to us."

That made sense.

"I don't know what's happening with Alexei but he's changed," I told her in one breath.

"Changed?" She asked, her head tilting to the side.

I nodded. "Before, he seemed to want to be near me. He was always, like, brushing off imaginary lint from my shoulders, tucking my hair behind my ear, things like that. But ever since he returned, I don't know," I said.

"It is my experience, Princess, that trying to guess what's in boys' minds will drive us to insanity. Even male Seers around your age seem to develop a whole new personality that drove our Ancients off the wall. And they have been through a lot," she said.

"Ancients?" I asked her.

"They are the oldest and wisest of us Seers. They are the ones who basically manage the Temple of the Goddess, and guide the rest of us to what we should be doing, or where we should be."

I sighed again and asked her, "So Alexei being like this is normal?"

"I'm afraid I don't know the Prince personally. But if he is anything like the boys his age, then yes, it is normal."

I could deal with that. Maybe.

Ms. Bardeen interrupted my thoughts when she spoke again.

"Now, I actually have something important to tell you. That's why I called you here."

I sat up and faced her.

"Alpha Andrew called me to the pack house last night. He wanted to know about the prophecy."

My heart started beating.

"Don't worry, Princess. He doesn't know anything concrete. While he knows about the existence of the prophecy, he doesn't know to what it pertains. He wanted me to explain it to him. I told him that the only person who could do that was the Moon Goddess herself, as She is the one who communicated it."

I chuckled.

"I bet he was angry. he doesn't like being denied."

Ms. Bardeen smiled.

"He was flustered, yes," she smiled. Then her smile died and her face got serious.

"I have to caution you, Princess. I had a vision the moment I stepped into the pack house. You're being watched."

"Watched? By whom?" I asked, shocked at what she said.

"By the Alpha's men. I saw that they had been following you. I'm not sure how they've managed to get past you or your pillars, or even Prince Veren, but they're watching you," she told me.

"Why?"

"I'm not sure, but it has something to do with the Princes and why they have taken such an interest in you," she told me, then a smile appeared on her face.

"What is it?" I asked.

"You should know, I called in the Princes earlier today and told them about this. I told them that it was best to not show you too much favor, to not be around you so much, as it was drawing the attention of the wolves in this pack."

I nodded. Ally and her friends had been talking about this just yesterday. It was understandable, what would I, a common wolf from a common family have that would make royalty treat me as if I was one of their own?

"Right," I said, my voice mirroring the sadness I felt at the thought of not spending time with Alexei, Dima, Mischa, and Veren.

"You misunderstand, Princess. While Prince Veren laughed it off-"

I interrupted her.

"He laughed?"

She nodded. "Prince Veren had always been the one to do what he wants. I knew he wouldn't change how he acted, even knowing that his treatment of you was being closely observed, but I still had to let him know about it."

I nodded because I was fast learning that Veren was exactly like that.

"And Alexei?" I asked her, not being able to hide the faint thread of hope in my voice.

"Prince Alexei, well, the moment I voiced my suggestion, that he should maybe spend less time with you, he said that that was not going to happen. And then he walked out of the room. I thought the door was going to break off the hinges, he slammed it so hard."

"What do you think that means?" I asked her, having an idea in my mind, but not voicing it out because it might seem like a impossible wish.

She smiled and said, "I think it means, Princess, that our Prince cannot bear to be away from you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 20.2K 31
"I, Cal River, Alpha of the Climax Night pack reject you, Raven Woods, as my pack's Luna and as my mate." ***** Raven Woods was born a rogue. She wou...
5.7K 325 27
What is the destiny of a she-wolf on the run to the human land? . . . At a young age, Alexia lost her parents. With her current status and rumours su...
5.1K 101 33
PROLOGUE Mates, simple word but have a lot of meaning behind it, it says mates were to protect each other love each other care for each other and the...
229K 9.5K 29
**I am currently rewriting this book** Mia West was a Wolf Gladiator. She was stolen and used for cruel fighting to the death. The way to lose is t...