The Last Candle

By alexxxfrost

Encanto is split into two parts- the upper levels and the outskirts. The people who live and depend on the Ma... More

Market Meeting

You Owe Me A Dance

28 1 0
By alexxxfrost

The sun had crawled away to sleep for a while before people started trickling towards la Casa Madrigal. Lanterns were lit, fine clothes were donned, foods were gathered and people started to get loud. 

Valeria wrinkled her nose at her brothers, who were all walking ahead of them, bellowing loud songs at the sky. Their words were so garbled that Valeria wondered if they had been drinking her tío's wine. It was too late now... she just hoped they wouldn't do anything stupid in front of the entire town. Not that they weren't stupid when they were somber, but it was worse when they weren't. 

Luckily it didn't happen that often. 

"Valeria!" A voice shrieked, and Valeria turned to see a dark-haired woman weaving through the crowd of people steadily moving up the streets. She was tall- much taller than most everyone on the street, with a giant grin on her round face. 

"Gemma!" Valeria embraced the girl, a smile taking over her face. "Where is Elonzo?" 

"With my parents, of course." Gemma paused for a moment, the lanternlight glinting on her hair before she broke, squealing as she hopped up and down. Her skirt wooshed around their legs, and Gemma twirled excitedly. "He proposed!" 

"No- really?" 

Their laughter carried on all the way up the hill to the Madrigal's home, Valeria making sure to squeeze every detail out of her best friend. She hadn't expected the man and his family to make the offer so soon- but it was perfect for Gemma. Elonzo was a nice man, quiet, a woodworker that could provide. And though his attempts at poetry were... odd, it was the thought that counted. 

Valeria sucked in a breath as they neared Casita. Light shone through the windows, and there was a comfortable hum emitting from it. People. Lots of people. It was ok. She could do this. No backing out. That would be cowardly

As they waited in line, Valeria realised that there was a Madrigal standing before the door, greeting the guests as they walked up. One minute there was an elderly woman, the next a tiny, giggling child. 

Camilo. 

His eyes seemed to dart right towards her, no matter how fast she tried to duck behind Gemma. The hint of a smile had just started to cross his face. His stupid, stomach-fluttering grin that she wanted to punch. 

She struggled to get her breathing under control. Valeria frowned down at her chest. Maybe she should see a doctor- chest pain didn't sound normal. 

"Mi amor, are you hiding from me?" A deep voice whispered in her ear, fanning the side of her cheek as Valeria shrieked, jumping away. Camilo's laugh burst out, and he had to lean over and gasp for breath as Valeria glared at him. 

"It's not funny."

"It is." He pretended to wipe tears from his eyes. "You actually thought you could hide from me, hermosa. I am the king of hide and seek." He puffed out his chest. 

Valeria grumped. "Only because you cheat. Aren't you supposed to be greeting people or something?" She looked at the people steadily moving towards them, and her family, which had already disappeared inside of the magical house. Camilo opened his mouth to say something as she darted for the door, trying to hide her burning face before she reached the temporary safe house. 

Casita waved a shutter at her happily, and Valeria waved back. The house had always seemed to like her, even more than all the other kids that had been there. 

She hadn't seen it in so long. 

"Valeria!" A new hand grabbed hers, and more faces appeared in her vision. People that she had not seen for years, all expecting her to remember them and their favourite colours and that secret that had been shared during a sleepover, the one she wasn't supposed to share. The one she had forgotten a long time ago. 

She circled the open room, dancing around people and aiming for the table of food that was calling her name. 

"Don't you think it's a little early to be getting in the food?' A teasing voice broke through the mindless haze that had been leading her to sustenance. 

"It is never too soon for food, Dolores. Surely you know that." 

The pretty Madrigal laughed loudly, twirling around Valeria with a large smile. "But you have barely socialised with anyone- there are so many people here you have yet to meet!" A squeak came out of her throat, as if she knew something that Valeria didn't. She had always been pretty, her dark eyes were wide and usually teasing, her curly hair done up above her head. And her dress was a beautiful red and yellow that swirled with her movements. Dolores was delicate in an alluring way. 

"I do not feel like talking to hundreds of people tonight," Valeria mumbled trying to reach the arepas that were just beyond her fingertips. 

"But it has been so long since we last saw each other." Dolores pouted. "There is so much you have missed! Isabela and Mariano are engaged, Mirabel and Camilo have taken on the responsibility of pranking everyone else, mama has learned to create mini funnels and send them into our rooms if we are late-"

"She sends tornadoes into your rooms?" That sounded... dangerous?

Dolores shrugged, her face splitting into another smile. "Yes, yes she does. It has been so long since we last saw each other!" She swamped Valeria in a hug, and giggled, making Valeria feel giggly and happy too. It was strange, her emotions were so heavily dependent on the people around her. 

"Has it already been two years?" Valeria mused, sneaking a desert off a nearby tray. "It doesn't feel nearly that long." 

"Yes, it has. You never come around anymore." Dolores huffed. 

Valeria winced. Why was that? She didn't try to avoid the Madrigals, necessarily... she just avoided the people that the magic family hung around. By themselves, the Madrigals were energetic, kind, inclusive. A model family, to be sure. 

Almost too perfect. 

She did like them though, all of them, with their weird quirks and habits. They were all special in their own way- without the gifts. 

Whatever perfection Valeria saw was a front. Something to hide what was inside. 

"That last prophecy freaked me out." Valeria stuffed an arepa in her face, feeling the bruises she had grown accustomed to disappear on her back. "I did not know what to think, and everyone was hiding it from me. I guess I was... mad." 

Dolores paused, an arepa in front of her own mouth. Her dark eyes were wide, staring into Valeria's soul. 

A moment passed. 

Then another.

And another. 

"That prophecy was not important." Dolores waved it off. Valeria frowned. It had seemed pretty important- when Casita had brought it down and given it to Mirabel the entire Madrigal family had been freaking out, running around and whispering Valeria's name. When she had asked about it they had given her bright, forced smiles and said yes before continuing their muttering. 

She had wanted Dolores' gift so much at that moment. 

"Whatever you say." Valeria sighed. Secrets were annoying. They broke trust and forged walls between people. But, it was the Madrigals business, not Valeria's, so she would respect their privacy. 

Even if everyone had acted strange around her when the prophecy had been found. 

But she wanted to know so bad- 

No. She would be a good friend and a good person, and she would keep her nose out of other people's business. 

"Have you seen Antonio recently?" Dolores changed the subject abruptly. She tilted her head to the side, raising a hand to her ear as if listening for something. "Mama was looking for him, but he seems to have disappeared." 

"Can't you just find him, with your ears?" Valeria cocked her head sideways. 

Dolores' shoulders slumped. "Yes. I know exactly where he is, and I'm not cruel enough to drag him into a party where people want to make a good impression so that they'll get the most help once his gift comes." She pulled herself up again. "However, I am going to pretend that I do not know his location. You're the first person who actually realised that I could figure it out on my own." 

"What can I say, I'm smart." Valeria laughed. "Sometimes." 

"You and me both." Dolores linked their arms, leading Valeria across the room. "Say, what did you get for Antonio's gift? I had no idea what to buy him." 

"Food." Valeria shrugged. "You can't go wrong with that. Unless he's allergic to it. We baked all day, mama sewed him the cutest shirt, and my brothers... I have no idea what they got him." It was probably something immature, if she had to guess.

The candlelight flickered around them, a soft, faerie-like glow spreading across Casita. It was golden, like a ray from the heavens. Ethereal, otherworldly. It lined the large bowls of flowers and the happy people's faces. Valeria sighed, feeling contented. Everything seemed more beautiful at night, as if you could never see true beauty and light until you were surrounded by darkness. 

"Hmm." Dolores hummed, looking out around the party. There were candles and firecrackers and people laughing. It was almost as if... everyone was getting along. 

There was a crash and an enraged scream that made Valeria wince. 

She had spoken too soon. 

Two men were rolling around on the ground, throwing punches wildly as they spat curses at the other. Dolores pulled her arm away from Valeria, covering her ears with her hands. Valeria stepped forward, ready to jump into the fray when a soft hand covered her. 

Pepa.

Dolores' mother. 

The woman marched forward, her yellow dress fluttering around her lithe form. A dark cloud formed above her head, crackling with thunder and lightning. It grew, and it almost seemed as if Pepa grew with it. "What is this?" She hissed, standing up and glaring at the two roughhousers on the ground. "Are you men or children? This is a celebration, not a wrestling match. Get on your feet."

The two men scrambled up, ducking their heads while sneering at the other. 

"Good." Pepa crossed her arms over her chest. "Now what do you have to say for yourselves?" 

"He started it!" One man cried, sounding like a child as he pointed at the other. His hair was undone from its slicked-back position, his fine clothes were ruffled and dirtied. He wiped viciously at it, but nothing changed. "You ruined my clothes!"

"You may have fine clothes but you are rotten and spoiled on the inside." The other man brushed himself off, turning his nose away. Valeria knew him- Gabrio, he was a woodworker with Elonzo. 

The first man went red, even in the darkness. "I live in the upper levels, I am far above you and your worthless children and whor-" 

"Enough!" Pepa thundered. "Deberías avergonzarte de ti mismo!" 

Hanging their heads, the men muttered empty apologies and went opposite ways towards those from their respective levels. Valeria looked around, noticing the segregation in the party. There were few who mingled with those from the other level. Dolores seemed to have been the first and one of the only ones to have taken companionship with an outsider

Valeria shuffled her feet, the words echoing around in her head. 

Outsider. Outsider. Outsider

"Papa wants me to go back and wish Antonio luck." Dolores offered Valeria a sweet smile. "I will find you later- I want to hear about your life over the past few years." And then she was gone, whisking towards the back like a seed in the wind, light and airy. Delicate, yet budding with promise. 

Valeria shivered at her last words, unwanted memories flooding her mind. 

She did not want to relieve the past. Perhaps if Dolores sought her out- which she would certainly do, the woman didn't make an empty promise- she could change the subject or make a hasty getaway. 

Abuela Alma was walking down the stairs, her movements slow and precise. The crowd went quiet at the elder's approach. She was about the same age as Valeria's abuela, though she sported many more wrinkles, and there was a sadness in her eyes, a loneliness. Her black shawl was wrapped loosely around her fragile shoulders, and in her hands, she carried a glowing candle. 

It had always fascinated Valeria. 

Something so tiny and fragile was the whole reason for the Madrigals, for the creation of Encanto. Would it go out if someone blew on it? 

No, that was not the right thing to think. 

Nuh, uh. 

Bad Valeria. 

Alma's voice carried across those gathered, low, moving. She spoke like an ancient tree. Weathered, but strong. "Fifty years ago, in our darkest moment, this candle blessed us with a miracle. And the greatest honor of our family has been to use our blessings to serve this beloved community. Tonight, we come together to celebrate Antonio and the joy he had brought to our family. May you have a long and happy life, mi vida." Thunderous applause broke out, and Valeria looked around for the boy of honour. 

Curtains opened, lights shining down on the tiny boy that stood there, his hands clasped in front of him as he curled in on himself.

Poor guy. Maybe he had stage fright. 

He looked back into the room he had come from, holding out his hand. Valeria couldn't hear what he whispered, but then Mirabel appeared, taking the boy's hand and standing next to him. There were gasps, hurried whispers from people who were so stuck in tradition they wouldn't have anything else. 

Valeria smiled, leaning back and watching the two of them make their way down the aisle, up the stairs to the glowing door that was waiting for Antonio. 

Abuela Alma bent down, holding out the candle for her nieto. "Antionio... will you use your gift to honor our miracle, our family, and our village? Will you serve this community and strengthen our home?"

The boy nodded, his dark hair bouncing as he let go of the candle. He stepped forward, his eyes glued to the glowing door that was meant to be his. Everyone leaned towards him as if being closer would help it work. His hand brushed the golden handle, and light spilled across the door. Golden lines created a beautiful image of a boy, surrounded by animals. Lots and lots of animals. 

A large toucan flew through the roof, landing on the small boy's arm. It bobbed its head, dancing around for his amusement as Antonio nodded, soft words coming from his mouth. Valeria tried to strain her ears and catch whatever he was saying, but they were swept away in the patter of small paws hitting the ground, wings churning the air. 

Hundreds of animals poured into Caista, chittering excitedly and running up the stairs to Antonio's open room. 

Valeria walked up the stairs with her tía and tío, trying to catch a glimpse of what lay behind the large door. She caught a whiff of something sweet, almost like a jungle flower. In fact, the entire room was a jungle, one large tree obviously the centre of attention. There were vines and a waterfall and hammocks. 

The animals flocked towards it, squalling as a young girl's mouth dropped open. "It's bigger on the inside?" 

"I know we like to uphold our legacy of not needing magic, but by Diego's beard, I want a gift right now." One of her brothers walked by, his mouth open and a giant grin overtaking his features. "This is amazing!" 

She couldn't disagree- it truly was something special. 

Music started, and Valeria laughed, walking with the crowd up into Antonio's new treehouse. It was huge, much larger than one boy needed. Though with all the animals, it almost appeared small. Food and drinks were brought up, and people eagerly began dancing. Valeria found herself swept up in it all, unable to keep her happiness down with everyone else so obviously at ease. 

I hope the rest of the night is like this

"A dance, mi vida?" 

Valeria turned- and her heart dropped down into her stomach. A man stood a few feet away from her, his hair long and grown out, framing his lean face. His shoulders were broad, and his clothes tight. She swallowed, the action suddenly painful. There was only one man who could call her all sorts of sweet names without being pushy or seductive, and this man was not him. 

"My apologies, Holden, I am not up to a dance." Valeria kept her hands close to herself, her eyes slightly downcast. She did not want to be rude. She knew why Holden was here, and while she knew being snarky would only rain judgment and punishments down on her head, she did not want to encourage his advances. 

He made her uncomfortable, though she could not say why. 

"Perhaps later then." Holden did not seem fazed by her refusal. If anything he smiled even wider. Valeria shivered. His smile was like a snake, waiting, biding its time until it leaped for its prey. He was cruel, one of the more... unsavoury men that inhabited the outskirts. 

Valeria scrambled around for some sort of answer. "I am afraid I have will only be dancing once tonight. You'll have to catch me first." Camilo, please, please, please make some dramatic entrance before Holden had a chance to snag her. She had to hold back a shiver at the thought. 

"Hey, you want a drink?" Gemma appeared at Valeria's side, sending a fake smile towards the man across from them. "Elonzo and I want to talk about wedding plans-" She dragged Valeria away, across the giant treehouse to a table that had been set up. "Ugh, I hate that man. Are you alright? You look kind of pale..."

"I'm fine now, thanks." Valeria shivered. "I didn't know what to do."

"Slap him."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm not saying it's going to happen, but if he- or anyone else for that matter- tries to come at you, slap him. So hard it'll make your palm sting for a long time. It would be hilarious seeing him walk around with a red print on half of his face." 

Valeria shook her head, an airy laugh falling from her lips. "Sure. I'll do that." 

I hope I never have to do that

"Here," Gemma placed a cup of something purple in her hand, "loosen up. You look tense." She snorted. "I mean, you have a reason to be, but I'm trying to make you feel better so drink." 

"You're trying to make me feel better by getting me drunk?" 

The woman shrugged. "So what if I am? We're legally adults now, you might as well take advantage of it." 

Ehh, why not. Valeria raised the glass to her lips, letting the strange liquid pour down her throat. It was cold, smooth, and had a slightly bitter taste. She grimaced, forcing herself to take another sip. It didn't get better the second time. 

"This is gross." Valeria wrinkled her nose at the drink. 

"It's a grown-up drink, what did you expect?" Gemma put her own glass down. "I wouldn't let someone pay me to drink that. Bleh." She caught sight of someone over Valeria's shoulder. "Elonzo!" 

The man himself appeared at his betrothed's side, a giant smile on his face. He wasn't the largest, most muscular man in the village, but he had gentle hands and loved children. And he was good to Gemma. Much more than her own parents were. They were a match made in heaven. "Mi vida," He kissed Gemma on the cheek before looking over. "Valeria. It is good to see you again." 

Valeria averted her eyes as Gemma kissed Elonzo again. "And you as well." Her words went unheard and Valeria made a hasty escape. 

It was awkward being around other... couples. 

She caught sight of someone walking out the door. A red dress, incredibly curly hair. She frowned. Where was Dolores going? Talking with her would be nice, if she wasn't leaving. Valeria looked around at the party. No one seemed to notice the Madrigal's departure. Maybe she had been sent for something from the kitchen. Valeria noticed Holden walking her way. uhh, maybe Dolores' needed help. 

The hallway was dark, empty as she left Antonio's room. The candles and tables had all been moved, everyone had wandered inside. 

Sudden movement caught her attention. 

The wisp of a green ruana, around a corner. Valeria glanced around, looking for anyone else. Dolores never really wore green, ever. And she hadn't left with anyone... that Valeria had seen. Was she here... with someone? 

Valeria crept down the hall, looking for someone who could be there. "Hello?" 

No one answered. 

A painting beside her creaked, and Valeria whipped around to look at it. It was a normal picture, a teapot, and cups, darker colours that meddled into the darkness. It seemed to wobble, the entire thing was off-centre. Valeria raised a hand, gently pressing on the bottom. The painting moved... like it wasn't hanging off the wall.

Like it had handles. 

"Hola, hermosa." Valeria whipped around, ready to throw hands until the familiar, cheeky face appeared before her again. Camilo leaned towards her, his face barely visible in the darkness. "Miss me?" 

Valeria swallowed hard, trying to calm her racing heart. "If I didn't know better I would think you have a crush on me, Madrigal."

Camilo's hand came down beside her head, fixing a painting beside her head. His eyes still held a mischievous glint, the promise of endless teasing. His eyes zoomed around her face, searching for something. "I don't call everyone mi vida, amor. Just you." 

Was that- no, he couldn't be saying that... could he? 

Whether he was just being flirty or not, it send a tremour through Valeria's stomach, and her brain sputtered before halting completely. 

"I do believe that you owe me a dance, Valeria." He held a hand towards her. Valeria stared at his strong fingers, her heartbeat pounding through her ears. Slowly she reached up, gently placing her hand in Camilo's. His warm fingers curled around hers, and a breathtaking grin overtook his face. "There, that wasn't so hard, was it?" 

She scoffed. "Actually-" She squeaked as Camilo whisked her down the hall, through the shadows, and towards the door that spilled golden light. "- is it your life mission to dance with me, or are you always like this?" 

He turned, pulling her past groups of people, his grin never fading. "Only for you, amor, only for you." 

And that was how she found herself whirling around Camilo, laughter falling from her lips as she was twirled and dipped. They weaved through the other people dancing in Antonio's tree, ducking under couples, and spinning over the edge. Camilo nearly gave her a heart attack the first time he did it, and she smacked him. 

Not hard. At least, it didn't faze him. But her hand smarted. 

Antonio came up to steal her away from Camilo's embrace, tugging excitedly on her skirt and whispering about something his animal friends had said. Valeria didn't catch most of it over the noise, but she nodded and kept a bright smile on her face. 

The boy was precious. 

A hand on her waist drew her around, and Valeria turned to see... Holden. Again. Bile flooded her throat. "Holden."

"Princesa," He grinned unnervingly at her, "I believe it's my turn for a dance." 

But Camilo was there, pulling her out of the leeches grasp and winging her away. "Sorry, señor, but Valeria only has enough mental capacity for one dance tonight, and I believe I've already laid claim to it." He didn't wait for the outrage to burst out on the man's face, taking Valeria across the treehouse to a stand of food, where he grabbed a few things as they moved past. They stopped in a secluded corner where they could sit on a branch and dangle their feet over the pool thirty feet below. 

There she could finally breathe, let her shoulders loose. "Thank you, Camilo." Valeria let out a shaky sigh. "I thought I was a goner." She tried to laugh, but it sounded forced, strained. 

The boy shrugged, eating whatever was in his hand. "It is no problem. He makes you uncomfortable, it is the least I can do."

Oh. 

Well. 

That... made her feel strangely sad. 

Camilo was known for his shapeshifting ability. His knack for bringing smiles to people's faces was legendary. He was always there, drawing laughs from those thought emotionless, cheering up those who were down, and being a light in the upper levels. 

He had probably just rescued her because he was supposed to keep everyone happy. 

There wasn't anything special about it. Her. 

She sat there in silence, trying to fight the tears that were burning behind her eyes. It was stupid, she told herself that she did not like the tricky shapeshifter. She did not have a crush on Camilo Madrigal. 

Which was true. 

She did not have a crush.

That was too simple a word, something that teenagers experienced when someone caught their eye or held a door open for them. Valeria did not have a crush, it was deeper than that. Something that wouldn't change before the week had ended. It awakened her soul, breathing happiness and joy into her day with the mere thought of him. Sure, he infuriated her to no end when he was in her presence, teasing her and sending all sorts of annoying pranks her way. But she had seen his kindness, gentleness. Confidence was alluring. She was infatuated, deeply. Truly. And there was nothing she could do to change it.

Love seemed too foreign a word, something that would only come to her when she was married and had a spouse. 

Whatever it was, it lit a fire in her heart. One that would either warm her or burn her down. 

"Valeria?" Camilo's quiet question drew her out of the thoughts swirling through her, so sudden and fierce she feared she would have whiplash. "Are you alright?" 

She noticed the cold tracks running down her cheeks, the water falling on her lap. 

Oops. That was bad. Crying was unacceptable in public. She was supposed to have better control of her emotions. Valeria almost snorted. How ironic. She had been commenting that morning about how the Madrigals were not allowed to be their true selves, and yet here she was, in the same position. Trapped. Wanting to get out, but there was no rope to pull herself from the pit in which she found herself. Silent screams had rendered her voice useless, the tears that had been spilled kept her quiet. 

Her tío would flip if he saw he crying at the party. She was supposed to be strong, independent. 

"Sorry," Valeria mumbled, wiping at her cheeks. It was embarrassing that Camilo had to be here and witness her silent breakdown. Why hadn't he left? She wasn't the prettiest crier. "Thanks... for the arepa." She bit into the delicious food, sending up a thanks to the heavens for Señora Julieta Madrigal.

If only her food could heal Valeria's heart. 

"There is no need for you to be ashamed of crying, mi amor." Camilo's words send a ripple through Valeria's body. "We all need to cry at some point in our life, holding it in will only make the pain worse." 

"Thanks, that makes me feel so much better." Valeria sniffed, wiping her nose. She winced at the heavy sarcasm she had spoken with. "S-sorry, I'm in a bad mood." 

Camilo shrugged, a light smile stretching his lips. "As I said, it happens to the best of us." 

Why was he being so... sweet? It made the butterflies in her stomach worse, the warm feeling in her chest grew as her lungs constricted. By all in Encanto... she couldn't deny the truth. It sat plainly in front of her, obvious for her eyes. Echoing around, taunting her at her powerlessness. Words that she could not say out loud, for fear that they would not be reciprocated. 

Te quiero, Camilo.

Te quiero

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

341K 7.3K 34
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
606K 30.5K 23
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...
663K 31.6K 55
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
947K 40K 81
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC