Daggers and Daffodils

By LockPickCommposer

'Imagine if you were hiccups twin (yes I know, not that original, but stay with me) thanks to a certain nigh... More

Dragon Raid
Mark
New Friends
New Arrivals
Welcome to Berk
Turning Tides
Downed Dragon
Dragon Training
All Goes to Hell
The Lonely Dragon
He Returns
Happy Hunting
Airborne
Mixed Signals
Cat and Mouse
Bad Luck
Betrayal
Just Perfect
Sooner or Later
Patchy Faced Rat
You Little Brat
Couple's Quarrel
New Flyer
Family Feud
Not as Planned
Two Sides Same Coin
Update- will delete later

The Proposition

1K 35 10
By LockPickCommposer

Today chapter is a bit longer than usual sorry, couldn't find a good stopping point that would keep the chapter interesting.

-Clover

Dagur POV

'A TERRIBLE TERROR!' I had to stop myself from laughing. A terror, she was being praised from across the isles for killing a terror. On one hand I was irritated that such an honor as earing a mark was even allowed for a dragon as trivial as a Terror. But on the other, it explained a lot.

My thoughts were interrupted by her voice. "Please don't laugh".

I had barely heard her; she was speaking so quiet. My smile fell as a weird feeling invaded my gut. Her voice had slightly cracked, and small crystals were forming in her eyes. I had seen this look on many of the girls I pranked back home and knew what it meant; she was going to cry. Normally I wouldn't care; often earning me a scolding from my parents. But something about the way her eyes looked at me made me feel a sort of guilt and pain, so much so that I knew I couldn't allow her to cry.

"Hey" I reached to... uhm ''what do I do?' I retracted my hand, which she was staring at. "I won't". She looked at me her forming tears rubbed away. "good" she sniffled turning to continue to walk. "we're almost there anyways". 

The cliffside was like any I'd seen before, with the exception of a few makeshift targets. 

"Ok, here's the rules, starting from the top of the hill and down the hill there are a number of targets, we each get 5 rocks that we can throw. Plain targets are 5 points, and targets with sheets on them are 10. Each target can be used once, and there are a limited number of targets with sheets. But whoever reaches the bottom first gets 20 extra points" she explained.

"This... is your training" I asked. "What don't think you can keep up" she raised an eyebrow at me, and I felt my face heat up again, 'ME!? Not able to keep up? oh hoho, this is going to be fun'.

"Of course not!" my voice went up an octave, and I felt my face become even hotter. 

"Ok, then. Let's get started" I watched as she drew a line in the dirt and adjusted her boots.

Narrator POV  (Don't be surprised if I never use first person again after this chapter)                

Dagur took his place next to you and crouched into a running position. "3....2..." you began to count down before Dagur interrupted you "If I win you owe me a favor ""Wait what?" Before you could get a response from him, he broke out into a sprint, causing you to take off with a delayed start.

Dagur took the lead throwing his first stone at a target wedged between a tree and boulder, and his second at another target hidden (poorly) in a patchy bush."10 points!" he exclaimed, Dagur had taken the lead, but you knew this track like the back of your hand. Dagur was throwing with extreme accuracy, but he wasn't looking at whether or not the targets had sheets, as long as you made sure you hit more targets with sheets than him you could still win. 

"You keep'n up back there?" Dagur laughed turning his head back to you with a crooked grin. You nearly forgot you were coming up on the first sheeted target due to the heat you felt spread across your face and the weird feeling in your stomach. 

'Focus!' you scolded yourself before answering Dagur's taunting, "Of course I am! Pretty soon you won't be!" Dagur laughed at that facing forward again. 

The quick exchange turned out to be exactly what you needed to give you the perfect window. With him distracted he didn't notice the Sheet covered target tied to a tree. You threw your first rock, it just barely hitting the outer most circle, "10 points!" Dagur looked back again wide eyed before his smirk changed into closed mouth smile and his pupils dilated on you with a squint of his eyes.

'Surprise won't work anymore, now he'll be shooing for sheet targets' you pushed a little harder, so you were now neck in neck with Dagur. You were coming down from a particularly steep hill of the cliff when your eyes locked on the target. Both you and Dagur threw your stones at it, yours hitting the outer rim a second before his. You turned to face him sticking your tongue "20". Dagur's once seemingly sweet smile returned to its competitive craziness. 

Halfway down the cliffs you knew there were only 4 covered targets left. "You're a lot faster than I'd thought you'd be" Dagur complimented. 'ODIN! Why is my face so hot!?' you thought to yourself looking anywhere but at him. "20 points!" Dagur exclaimed now down to one stone. 'Ugh, forgot the one by the salvaged cart'. 

In the distance you saw two upcoming targets, Astrid had placed a covered and regular target on each side. you would take turns switching which side each target was on, unfortunately Astrid was the last to move the targets. 

"Time to choose it seems" Dagur let out a cackle that wouldn't have sat right with you if you weren't too captivated by his face. wait wut. 

"What do you say, we each take one and hope for the best, aha AHAHAHA", Ok.... That most defiantly didn't sit right with you, "Ok?". Deciding to stick to the target on your side you threw your 4th stone the moment it was within reach. Only to be disappointed realizing you had hit the uncovered target while passing it. Dagur was now in the lead but out of stones.

"You know for someone who does this for training, your intuition could use some work" Dagur teased. "And your very distracting" nearing exhaustion you began to slow down, but for some reason you were still keeping up with Dagur. 

"I'd consider that a good thing, you look ready to pass out-""DO NOT!" his roaring cackle was infectious and soon you were laughing as well. " you'll be the one-heh- passed out and tired when I beat you" you said in-between laughs. 

"Oh? And how do you plan to do that with no stones" Dagur said with a mischievous look. "Huh? Wait. No! Dagur!" You yelled as in one swift movement Dagur dipped close to your side grabbing your stone. "I didn't realize we were playing street rules!" you laughed. 

"What are you gonna do now princess?" Dagur taunted as you inwardly preened at Dagur's use of your title. "I'M going to beat you" you broke out into an all-out sprint using what little reserves of energy you had left, leaving a shocked Dagur in your wake. 

"Well, it seems like I'm going to have to catch you then" Dagur called out for you as he picked up his speed. You and Dagur barreled down the final hill of the cliff. Dagur's delay had given you just the right head start for you to pass the marked finish line first.

"Woo Hoo! SUCK IT DAGUR!" You turned your head to gloat at Dagur as you slowed only to see him still running towards you at full speed. Dagur was now playing an entirely different game, one of cat and mouse. And though you were tired, you were having way too much fun to let it end there. 

Area Skip (change in focus of character, but not POV)

Stoick stood at the mouth of the great hall as the feast was being prepared, they had just finished sorting the Berserkers gifts as well as making the standard introductions. He was thankful for the fact that chief Oswald had never thought the traditional tour was necessary, or they would have had to spend all day on it.

"Tensions are getting tight Stoick" Oswald said coming to his side while they began to walk down to the village center. "Aye, had break up three fights since this morn'in". It was apparent that the treaty did little to improve relations between the two tribes beyond an immediate call for war. 

"With Dragon raids becoming more common the people are even more on edge". In the past year Stoick had, had many come to him with their fears mistrust of the Berserkers. "Times are changing Stoick, these beasts, their starting to turn us on our own". They were at the bottom of the stairs when Stoick spoke next, "If we don't figure something out before the time of our children, Berk and the Berserkers will go to war". 

"It'll be harder than you think old friend, I haven't seen a pleasant interaction between a Berkian and a Berserker in the past two years " Oswald chuckled dryly patting Stoick on the back as they entered the village "Where is everyone?" he asked. The village seemed empty with only a faint sound of people echoing from across. 

"What in Odins name?" The two approached the sound to see a group gathered. Momentarily they had both thought they would have to break up a fight until they had recognized the sound of laughter. In the center of the crowd's semi-circle was you and Dagur. Dagur had caught you soon after running you into the village and now had his arms wrapped around you from behind.

"Caught you, Princess!" you squealed loudly enticing a laugh from the crowd. "Put me down Dagur" you wiggled in his arms, but he had an iron grip. Dagur felt his smile widen and his heartbeat faster at your voice.  

Stoicks eyes searched the crowd seeing that it was made up of both Berk and Berserkers, laughing and smiling together. Meanwhile Oswald's eyes focused on his son, and the smile he himself knew all too well.  It was the smile he had whenever he looked at his wife, it was the smile he had when his son took his first steps, it was the smile he had when his daughter was born. It was a smile of love, a smile that showed when you loved someone so much you were willing to fight anyone and wait till the end of time for them. And Oswald's chest grew with pride and joy when he saw a smaller yet similar smile on you. 

"Stoick" Oswald called as they tore their gazes away from the crowd. "I have a proposition" Stoick raised his brow. 

Dagur POV (Thats it... If I EVER do first person again, I will set my house on fire)

 I was holding Y/N in an arm lock when in the corner of my eye I saw my father and Stoick turn to walk away 'they must have been watching us'. I looked back down at Y/N whose face was bright pink while she was giggling. "Oh, Thor am I choking you?!" I let go immediately in fear of hurting her. 

"No" she answered beaming at me. Murmurs broke out in the crowd, ' when I realized. 'Huh when did this crowd get here', it was made up of both Berk and Berserkers which took me off guard as they were getting along. But even more so what I heard from one of the onlookers; "Wow he actually seemed concerned for once" followed by a laugh. It had been said by a Berserker and made me think. I had never once cared if I hurt someone, I was known for playing ruff with other kids when I was younger, and I wasn't one to lighten up when training, regardless of who it was with. 

"Dagur look" Y/N pointed to a number of the crowd disbursing and heading towards either their homes or the great hall. The sun was near setting, so people were likely either getting ready or heading over the great hall for the feast.

"We should probably get going" I told her while still looking at the passing crowd. Suddenly I felt her had wrap around mine, "Ok" she started to pull me towards the stairs while I felt my soul leave my body.

Narrator POV (It might have been a short section, but still too long)

The great hall was flooded with Vikings, you and Dagur were separated and taken to your designated seats. You sat down next to a rather dejected looking Hiccup. "Hey Hiccup" you greeted guiltily. "Hi" his eyes didn't meet yours and you felt your once delighted moon shatter, replaced with guilt. "I'm sorry I left you alone, Dagur was pulling me, and I didn't know what to do... Are you ok?" he finally looked at you with his nose a little pink and eyes returning to normal after once being puffy.

"I'll be fine... You won't leave me, right?" he asked. "Leave you? When? of course not!" you told him hoping to sooth his worries. "It's just... After hearing dad and Oswald, I thought you were going to leave" Hiccup murmured looking away from you again. "After they said what?" Hiccup looked to the floor embarrassed of his eavesdropping. "Hiccup, I promise no matter what I'll always be by your side, even when everyone else is against us. Ok?" Hiccup grew a half smile before he spoke "It's ok. you don't have to be next to me all the time, just knowing you'll always believe in me is enough. Promise?" he held ought his hand for you to shake, "Promise" you shook his hand before pulling him into a hug. 

"Alright everyone quiet!" You heard your father call standing Oswald next to him. "As you know every year a treaty is signed between Berk and the Berserkers" he paused, his eyes landing on you for a few moments, and you could have sworn for a second a look of shame passed over them before he looked away and continued. "However, many of you have voiced your distrust of the other". The crowd began to rile arguing and defending themselves at being accused of treachery. "Thats enough" He shouted slamming his axe on the table, earning a flinch from both you and Hiccup. "Me and Stoick have come to an agreement to cement the trust and intentions of either side" Oswald said, "As of this afternoon Stoick and I have come to the agreement, of bringing our two tribes together, and the betrothal of Dagur of the Berserkers and Y/N the defender". Volume in the hall rose once again as a clash of disapproval support and confusion racked the crowd. Stoick's axe rose and cut back into the table once more silencing the noise. 

"With this bond both Berk and the Berserkers will be unified through blood. Berk will gain the support of the Berserker armada, and the Berserkers will have their future queen" Oswald finished, while silence still filled the hall. Berkians within the crowd showed interest in the mention of the Berserkers armada however the Berserkers themselves stayed quiet "Y/N would make a capable future queen for our people. She has earned her mark before most of our youth, including Dagur" still the Berserkers were uneasy. "Unless you trust Dagur to find another woman willing to put up with him" Stoick added, and cheers of approval flooded the hall. Berkians and Berserkers speaking in agreement and Oswald sent Stoick a chastising look, "Got the job done didn't it".

You were very confused to say the least, your father and Oswald had announced that you were betrothed to Dagur, buuuut you had absolutely no idea what that meant. "Thats what I heard them talking about earlier" Hiccup leaned over to tell you, you watched as he flinched turning away at something behind you. Hiccup sat to your left your fathers chair to your right then Oswald and his company, specifically Dagur. You turned to see His eyes locked on you, no mischievous grin or smirk to be seen. Just a look of starstruck wonder, till his hanging jaw lifted and he looked at you in a way you had only seen when you saw Astrids parents look at one another.

"With this year's treaty signing comes not just another year of peace, but a promise of a future of unity" Oswald spoke as he signed the treaty followed by Stoick. The feast swung into full effect with music drinking and food. Stoick took his seat next to you and for a few minutes refused to look or speak to you as well as eat. 

"Dad" you called quietly; Stoick sighed looking down at you "What's going on?". "Lass... Do you remember when you asked me why we can't get along with the Berserkers, because were not family" you nodded "Well, you being betrothed to Dagur means we can", "Really" you smiled "Why?". "Because it means that soon... we will be". "How?" you couldn't help but question each of your father's answers, as he seemed to be purposefully trying to hide something. "It means you're going to marry Dagur" Hiccup interrupted, "Hiccup!" Stoick scolded making Hiccup sink into his chair, Stoick sighed and gave Hiccup an apologetic look. 

"I'm going to marry Dagur?!" When you had woke up this morning this was certainly the last thing you thought would happen. "I know you didn't expect it, and I know your probably angry" he looked back to you seeing you face scrunched into a pout of confusion. "And I know you don't entirely understand what's going on, but I need you to believe I'm trying to help our people. And if you really don't want to than you won't have to, and we can call it off after we have enough time to come up with another sol-", "I'll do it" you interrupted surprising Stoick and dropping Hiccups jaw. "Are you sure, lass?" He asked you one last time. "If It'll get everyone to get along, then yes" Your father pressed a kiss you your forehead and held you tight against his much larger frame. "Thank you, lass" he said before standing and turning to Oswald who was surrounded by a number of Viking who he shooed off upon seeing Stoick, "She agreed. Any luck with Dagur, he's a prideful boy, it'll take some time" Oswald held up his hand, "He agreed the moment I brought it up", "Really?". "You were there Stoick, today, in the village. I know that look they had" Stoick raised his brow, "It's the same look I have when I look at Dahlia, and it's the same look I saw between you and Valka" Stoick felt the knife in his heart twist at the mention of his lost love. "He loves her" Oswald said his smile growing, "Their children Oswald, they don't even know what that means". "Love is a feeling Stoick, and as a child you love more than any other time in your life. Before you know the pain of heartbreak. Who are we to say they don't understand". Stoick's hardened gaze softened at his words, "Besides, he's a Berserker. We don't fall often, but when we do; we fall hard", a chuckle escaped the two.

As the feast went on many came to you and Dagur to express their congratulations. At the end of the feast and goodbyes to the leaving Berserkers you gave a small wave to Dagur as pink tinted your cheeks. Dagur who watched you as his ship departed from the dock thought to himself, 'I love this girl, don't I?'.

Next chapter release date: 3/25/22 (or sooner)

Thank you so much for reading!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 152 7
(y/n) is the son of a fishermen who grew up on Berk alongside his best friend Hiccup. Both went through losing a parent during a dragon attack. (y/n)...
54.6K 1.3K 17
Y/n has always been Hiccup's best friend. She has also always calmed the dragons around her, yet no one knows why (yet). She is the "sister" of Astri...
67.6K 1.9K 18
ᯐ π’π€π•πˆππ† 𝐌𝐘 π‹πˆπ†π‡π“: 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝟐 ( π™·π™Ύπš† πšƒπ™Ύ πšƒπšπ™°π™Έπ™½ πšˆπ™Ύπš„πš π™³πšπ™°π™Άπ™Ύπ™½ 𝟸 ) ─────────────────── ❝ 𝐈𝐌 π’πŽπ‘π‘π˜, 𝐁𝐔𝐓 𝐈'𝐌 οΏ½...
459K 6.7K 41
A story about Hiccup and Astrid on Berk. They are now 21. Takes place after httyd 2. This is my first story ever so please don't hate. Sorry if I hav...