The Aberrations of S.I.D.E.

By DragonWriter77

Virgil's life has changed drastically since last October. In the span of eight months, he gained a group of f... More

No. 1: Phone Call
No. 2: Welcome Back!
No. 3: We Declare Anarchy
No. 4: Julian
No. 5: First Revenge Heist of the Year!
No. 6: Family
No. 7: Research Project
No. 8: Costume Planning
No. 9: Shakespeare Is Funnier Than You Think
No. 10: Sparring and Swearing
No. 11: Anything Can Happen On Halloween
No. 12: Simply The Best
No. 13: 07734
No. 14: Shit's Getting Serious
No. 15: Ultimate Horror
No. 16: Powers Explained
No. 17: Closeted As Of Now
No. 18: Practice Makes Perfect
No. 19: Dumbed Down
No. 20: Housewarming Gifts
No. 21: What Can I Say?
No. 22: Family Time
No. 23: Flying's Overrated
No. 24: Snowfall
No. 25: The Theater Has Many Secrets
No. 26: The Curse Strikes Again
No. 27: It's Up To You
No. 28: Talking Things Out
No. 29: Family Reunion
No. 30: Memories and Mishaps
No. 31: Darkness Hidden
No. 32: Kiki
No. 33: Chaos and Comfort
No. 34: Not Anymore
No. 35: Better Every Day
No. 36: And All That Jazz
No. 37: Second Shot
No. 38: Email Warning
No. 39: Get Wrecked
No. 40: Crew Head Training
No. 41: Just Your Problem
No. 42: So Kind
No. 43: You're Worth Every Risk
No. 44: Not That Awkward
No. 45: Hurricane Marcelle
No. 46: I'd Do The Same For You
No. 47: Flame Blown Out
No. 48: Crossed The Line
No. 49: Has He Changed?
No. 50: Systems Down
No. 52: Love Like You

No. 51: Breakout Breakdown

380 30 21
By DragonWriter77

Another difference between the last time they did this: getting out was relatively easy. They went out the same way they went in, only one person stopped them, and it was pretty damn painless.

This time, however... well, there were some things that you couldn't just hack into not working.

"Oh, that is disgusting," Augustus said as another guard passed out into a puddle of vomit. "How come you never broke out those moves in Ability Usage?"

"I did," Patton responded, sidestepping the unconscious bodies lying on the floor. "You weren't around to see it."

Jules did his best to circumnavigate the bodies, which was probably hard due to the fact that he was carrying Augustus on his back. "If you decide to be an op someday, I pity whoever you have to go up against."

Patton cracked his knuckles with a satisfied grin. "I've been learning new stuff. I actually have this idea involving blood—Julieta kinda inspired it with her powers."

"Bloodbending?" Logan guessed.

"Nah, it's more..." He waved his hand around. "Abstract, I guess. I'll tell you about it when we get back."

"All right."

They rounded a corner and put their invisibility rings back on... which didn't do much, since Augustus was still very clearly hovering in the air. Virgil had been the one to give them the rings, and evidently, he'd forgotten that they'd need a fourth.

"Damn you and your memory issues, Virgil," Logan muttered under his breath, handing his own to Augustus.

Augustus put it on and vanished. "Holy shit, this is freaky as hell."

"What's up with Virgil?" Patton asked.

"Oh, nothing, it's just that I forgot one of the key symptoms of inattentive ADHD—which is ironic if I think about it." Logan brushed his jeans off. "It'll be easier if I'm the visible one. I'd honestly prefer being seen in case we run into Deadbeat Dedushka and I get to kick his ass."

"Get to?" Jules repeated.

Logan paused. "Have to. Have to kick his ass."

Augustus let out a cackle. "I gotta tell Lena that one the next time I see her."

After a few minutes of circumnavigating the halls, Logan finally caved. "Who's Lena?"

"Your cousin. Elena Jacobi."

He shook his head. "Never met her."

"Probably a good thing. She had to rebuild the firewall you so casually destroyed last spring." Augustus snorted. "Well, she made it weak on purpose, but still."

"Hmm." Logan mulled it over in his mind. "Is she still here, or—"

"She left."

"Ah."

Their conversation was briefly interrupted by two more guards spotting Logan and instantly trying to tackle him. Patton took them out with ease.

"Thank you," Logan said in what he hoped was his boyfriend's general direction.

"Don't sweat it!" Patton said cheerfully. "It's fun being the heavy-lifter in battle!"

A distressed sound came from Logan's right. "What the fuck happened while I was gone? Why is the little blonde cherub scary?"

"He grew," Logan told him. "Like you did."

"Cherubim are actually really terrifying in actual Biblical lore," Patton added. "They're giant monsters with four heads and wings covered in eyes, and they've also got flaming swords. What you're actually thinking of is a baby cupid."

Augustus let out a strangled sound that was remarkably similar to a cat throwing up.

"How do you know that?" Jules asked curiously.

"I did a book report on the Divine Comedy in sixth grade for extra credit, why?"

"Just curious."

They continued to run, eventually passing the carved-in graffiti. A thump sounded, followed by Jules letting out a small shriek and taking off his invisibility ring.

"Auggie, what are you doing?" he whisper-screamed, grabbing at what looked like thin air. "You can't—"

Augustus became visible as he slipped the ring into his pocket, staring up at the slashed words in shocked silence on his knees. And seeing that expression on his face...

Logan was well aware that Augustus had changed. He'd made a freaking case for it in Emile's office. But it wasn't until now that it really hit him.

This guy—the one who always had a cocky confidence, the one who laughed in that raspy Nick-Cage voice whenever someone failed, the one who seemed to revel in people's misery—was a scared, mistreated kid whose mental stability was hanging by a very, very thin thread. And the thought that someone cared about him enough to wreck everything because they lost him... was unfathomable.

"Frosty," Augustus whispered, hands curling into fists.

Jules put a hand on his shoulder. "I... I'm really sorry that she separated you two."

His lips tightened and he stood up. "I gotta find him."

Patton took off his own invisibility ring as he pulled out his phone, eyes widening slightly. "Guys, I... I have news, and I don't know if they're good or bad."

Everyone turned toward him.

"The helicopter guy said that he can pick us up right from the grounds," Patton said, pocketing his phone. "But we have to be out of here in fifteen minutes. Not sixteen, not fifteen and a half—fifteen. So we need to hurry."

"Screw that," Augustus snapped, whirling towards him. "My best friend... or... I don't know what the hell he is to me right now, but I have to tell him that I'm okay, time limit or no time limit. Tell that copter dude to wait."

"I can't—" Patton started.

"Try. Meet you at the grounds." Augustus raced down the hall, putting his ring on just before turning the corner.

..............

Please let me remember where his room is, Augustus prayed, invisibly darting from door to door. If he's even in his room to begin with—oh, god, I don't know where he goes when he's sad, what kind of friend am I? What kind of boyfriend will I...

He faltered a little when he realized what he'd just thought.

Are we gonna be boyfriends?

Are we already boyfriends?

What does it mean when you kiss your best friend when you're so sure that you're going off to die? Are you dating for that short period of time? Or are you just telling them that you love them before you head off to the chopping block?

Augustus shook his head. Nope. Don't think about the logistics right now. You got a fucking time limit.

He continued looking from door to door until he finally stopped at his old room.

Lumps of snow covered the floor, and icicles hung from the ceiling—and all of his old possessions looked like they were frozen to the floor. And sitting on the bed, knees to his chest, head in his hands, and sandy-blonde hair loose and spilling over his shoulders, was Ian.

Augustus took a deep breath, pocketed the invisibility ring, and cautiously walked in. "Hey."

Ian slowly lifted his head, grey eyes widening. "Gusty?" he rasped.

"It's me." He bit his lip. "Look, before anything else, I can't be here long, so—"

That was all he could get out before he was tackle-hugged by six feet and three inches of pure Icelandic hunk.

"My astvinur," Ian choked, burying his head into Augustus's shoulder. "You're alive. You're all right. I was so scared—I was so scared that she'd killed you for real—I—"

Augustus let out a little laugh, stroking Ian's hair. "It'll take more than that wannabe dictator to kill me, babe."

Ian met his eyes, face lined with tears. "Where was she keeping you? How did you get out? Why are—"

"Shh." Augustus kissed him quiet. "Like I said, I can't be here long. Elena's good cousin and the McLain kid got me out, plus Jules—and yeah, he's alive for real—but we have a window for when we can ditch this place, and that window is closing fast."

"So why are you here, then?" Ian said, mild panic crossing his features. "You need to go!"

"I needed to tell you that I'm okay, and I needed to tell you to get the fuck outta here," Augustus told him. "If Mom finds out I'm gone? She'll blame you, and I am not going to have your death on my conscience. If you die, it's gonna be when you're old and gray and can't remember what your birthstone is—"

"I don't even know what my birthstone is now—"

"My point is, leave," Augustus said. "I can't take you with me right now—it's way too risky—but start packing. Get on a train, get a plane ticket, and don't stop until you're somewhere I can find you." He cracked a smile. "I hear Toronto is nice this time of year, and, well... can't guarantee you a spot in the Academy, but Doc Picani never turns down a teen in need."

Ian looked uncertain. "Do you think they'd take in a Circle kid?"

"Yeah, you hate it here, you'll be fine." Augustus gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "I gotta go. Love you, and don't forget what I said." He dug the invisibility ring out of his pocket.

"Wait!"

Augustus sighed. "I just said that I needed to—"

Ian tossed him a slightly ratty stuffed tiger. "Just in case you have trouble sleeping."

Trying his very best to not break down, Augustus gave Ian a grateful smile before putting the ring back on. "Thank you."

..............

"Where is he?" Logan exclaimed, looking at his phone. "We're almost at the time limit! At this point, we're going to have to rescue him all over again!"

"Could someone text him?" Patton suggested.

"Okay, A, he definitely wasn't trapped in there with a phone, and B, none of us have his number, so—"

"I'M HERE!"

Augustus appeared on the grounds, something small and orange tucked under his arm. "Made it," he panted, raising a hand. "I made it."

Logan raised an eyebrow. "What's that under your arm?"

"Not important, where's the copter, I wanna get the fuck outta this hellhole."

"All right, I see your language has not changed," Logan muttered.

Jules let out a happy gasp. "Ohmigosh, it's Stripes! You grabbed Stripes!"

Augustus pushed the stuffed tiger into Jules' hands, face burning. "Shut up."

The whirring of helicopter blades sounded overhead, signaling that it was high time to leave.

"There it is!" Patton yelled, pointing upward.

Logan looked around. "Wait, why aren't there any guards?"

"Mom called them back," Augustus responded. "Heard it when I was trying to find my way out. Guess she didn't care either way."

"Then it'll make this easier," Jules said, waving down the helicopter as it landed. The four of them rushed inside as soon as the doors opened and took their seats, strapping themselves in.

Once the helicopter took to the air, Augustus let out a slow breath and closed his eyes. "I'm out. I'm out of that place for good."

"Thank god," Jules murmured, patting his brother on the back.

Logan and Patton exchanged an awkward look, realizing the situation they'd just put themselves in. Yes, they'd let out someone who could help them, but there was definitely still issues that had yet to be addressed... beyond a slap on the face and a knee in the nuts.

Patton finally cleared his throat. "Um. Augustus?"

Augustus gave him a bleary-eyed expression. "What is it?"

"I, well..." Patton sucked in a breath through his teeth. "About Janus."

He flinched slightly at that.

"I know it's probably not something I should bring up this soon after getting you out, but I need to hear you apologize before I can trust you," Patton continued, sitting forward. "A sincere apology would be nice."

"Give him a—" Jules started.

"No, it's fine," Augustus mumbled, lowering his head. "He has every right. I hurt his best friend."

Logan intertwined his fingers with Patton's.

"I've made so many mistakes since Mom and Dad—" He paused. "Since Augustina and Nero disowned Jules. I pushed my best friend away, I shut out Remus even though we were becoming friends, I turned myself into a Nero copycat, but..." He started to blink back tears. "What I did to your friend... I would literally do anything to take that back, Pat. I swear to god, I've never regretted anything more—I—"

Augustus started to cry for real, burying his head in his hands. "I'm so sorry," he whispered. "I was such a goddamned idiot. I'm sorry."

Patton visibly relaxed, giving him a smile. "It's alright. I forgive you."

He looked up, sniffing. "You really mean that?"

"It's not my forgiveness you're looking for, Augustus. It's Janus' forgiveness." Patton twisted his lips. "And that may be a bit harder to come by, but..."

"I know." He wiped his good eye. "Call me Auggie."

Logan gave him a nod. "You're on our side now."

A smile flicked across Auggie's face. "Thank you."

A/N: Happy first anniversary of Aberrations! To celebrate (and to relieve you of your tears), here's an extra-cute Calvin Candid:

Look at the boy. JUST LOOK AT THE BOY.

Also, heads-up---next chapter will likely be the last, and I'm gonna be going on a S.I.D.E. hiatus when it comes to story content. However, I will still be uploading things onto On The S.I.D.E, and I might even be adding in more oneshots. And, of course, all of you Owl House fans have Changeling Witch to look forward to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 878 69
*Completed* Everything was normal, Virgil's learned to be normal. It was hard at first, living with a human family on a farm and all, but he got used...
11.8K 473 39
After a horrible day Virgil finds himself in a place he doesn't recognise. What will happen? Who will save him? Will the others come to his rescue, o...
16.6K 1.3K 34
*Completed* Virgil doesn't know it, but he's the son of Lucifer. After his caring mother is killed in a horrible car crash that should have killed V...
13.2K 822 21
Virgil Storm has grown up in a world where everything is normal, but it's turned upside down when he suddenly develops powers. How will this hormonal...