X-Men 1st Redemptions

By worldwalkerdj

Back with another story of our dynamic DJ duo, and their wacky but nerve wracking adventures: This time Shine... More

Introduction
1: X-troductions
2: X-Pectations
3: X-Cursion
5: X-cident
6: X-pedition
7: X-pedient
8: X-onerated
9: X-amination
10: X-communication?
11: X-treme
12: X-tolling
13: X-pectations--2
14: X-Pertise
15: X-hibit
16: X-tortion
17: X-acerbate
18: X-amined
19: X-tinguished
20: X-tinguished-2
21: X-position
22: X-posed--1
23: X-posed-2
24: X-ceptive
25: X-agitate
26: X-ceeding
27: X-traordinaries
28: X-torsive
29: X-changes
30: X-cerpts
31: X-stole
32: X-lucidating
33: X-pertise
34: X-odus
35: X-terior-1
36: X-calating
37: X-terior--2
38: X-cuses
39: X-hortation
40: X-cavation
41: X-cavation-2
42: X-cavation-3
43: X-tremities
44: X-celsior
45: X-celsior-2
46: X-punge
47: X-cimer
48: X-hibits
49: X-pelled
50: X-scapee
51: X-capee-2
52: X-solated
53: X-travagate
54: X-ilic
55: X-istential
56: X-istential-2
57: X-cluded
58: X-trageneous
59: X-cluded-2
60: X-amined
61: X-cludable
62: X-posed-3
63: X-cruciating
64: X-cruciating-2
65: X-asperated
66: X-ternally Bound
67: X-ternally Bound-2
68: X-ternally bound--3
69: X-cursion
70: X-uvia
71: X-odoi
72: X-orcised
73: X-egesis
74: X-uvia--2
75: X-termination-1
76: X-emption
77: X-campment
78: X-campment-2
79: X-stablished
80: X-quivalent X-change
81: X-quivalent X-change-2
82: X-termination-2
83: X-traversion
84: X-stablished-2
85: X-citation
86: X-plaining
87: X-temporal
88: X-ceptions-1
89: X-ceptions-2
90: X-hortation-2
91: X-asperation
92: X-lucidatory
93: X-plete
94: X-plicit
95: X-pso Facto
Ending notes: About how I create

4: X-planations

22 0 0
By worldwalkerdj

"Our mission is the same as yours, bro," Wally said, leaning back nonchalantly.

Kurt looked puzzled still. "I don't even have a mission, beyond being part of the brotherhood."

"That's a mission," Shine said. "But...well...it's hard to know where to start.... I guess the beginning really is with God. It always is. He's the one who sent us here...because of Logan--much how He put you in his path, I'm guessing."

"Brother Logan is searching." Kurt nodded. "I think he has been drawn to Gott. I hope I played a small part in it."

"I think it was more than you thought," Shine said, "but he's still searching, in a way. It was just a few days ago, in this timeline, I believe, but I was having my daily time with the Lord--you know how it goes."

Kurt nodded.

"Usually that is when I get my next assignment. There's never any real warning or pattern. It just happens. I've had dreams too. But this time it was just...I got a vision--of Logan," Shine said.

"Yeah, so did I," Wally said, "only I got it while I was running."

"He rushed home right off," Shine said, "but before he did, I also heard these words, inside, you know?" She tapped her chest. "It sounded like Logan's voice saying something.... I think it was sort of a peek into what he's been looking for.... I'd heard stories of that before--people getting visions in that form.... It's even in Acts, I think. But I'd not had that particular experience before. It was odd."

"It sounds astounding," Kurt said. "I've never had such a vision, but I do know people who have."

"Skeptics think we're crazy." Shine smiled. "But we know. It's not like that's something I'd just invented out of my own head. I wasn't thinking about it beforehand. I knew at once we were supposed to come here and help him. But I can't say I'm shocked that he's pushing us away."

"He did that with me too," Kurt said. "He was so angry...but sad, I think, underneath."

"He seems mostly angry," Wally remarked.

"We can't get him to talk to us about it," Shine said. "For better or worse, I let him know what we heard. But it spooked him."

"Not everyone is ready for such revelations," Kurt said. "I don't even know if I would be.... But how did you know of the others, then? And myself?"

"We...have ways to research a calling," Shine said. "You know it's only wise to study up somewhere you're going to go. We dug into it. Some we'd heard before. The X-men are quite well known where we come from. And you're part of it. I mean, there're discrepancies, but we felt fairly sure you'd be someone who'd understand our plight here. Trying to speak to people, most of all mutants, about the faith when there's so much unfairness in the world can be quite a challenge."

"Ja..." Kurt agreed. "So much suffering. It drives people away from Gott so often. But it drives some of us to Gott."

"And however many we can turn from the first to the second is vital," Shine said.

"I agree it would do the world good," Kurt said, "but not everyone wants to hear this. We can pray for them, but if you are going to try to convince people like Herr Logan of this, you will have a challenge. Logan seems to believe, in a way, but I do not think he would like being pushed."

"Hmm, that's true," Shine said, not at all concerned, "but it makes it more fun that way."

Kurt raised an eyebrow. "And what about what I was told? You claim to be from the future? How can such things be?"

"God's outside of time," Wally said, like it was old hat now. "Why is it so hard to believe? Other people time travel with machines."

"Fascinating," Kurt said, "and miraculous...to come so far...or so far back, just for one man?"

"But what else is the Gospel about? The 99 and the 1, the Prodigal Son, all of it?" Shine said.

"That is true." Kurt rubbed his chin. "But usually I think God would send people who live here.... Why such lengths?"

"Well, it's about more than Logan," Shine said. "There's always a bit more to it. Something important is happening here, Kurt, something big. Not sure when it will start, or if it has already, but times like this in history are crucial, and sometimes they need extra help. The angel to Gideon, the general of the Lord to Joshua, and so many other instances. Joan of Arc and her voices that she heard--people have needed a little extra help and guidance to do great things. I guess we're like that, minus the part where we're angels. We aren't." She laughed. "Though people have made that mistake when they can see what we do."

"What can you do?" Kurt asked.

Wally buzzed to behind him. "Hey," he said.

Kurt jumped.

"How did...? Can you teleport also?"

"No, that's me." Shine suddenly made a Bible appear in her hands.

Kurt startled again. "You can do objects without yourself.... That's useful."

"Parlor trick, not that important." Shine sat the Bible down. "We can do more. But this is a secret for now."

"Why? They would find it useful," Kurt said.

"And in time, we'll show them," Shine said, "but our orders from up High are not to reveal ourselves for now. You can know--you don't think any different of people, regardless of where they are from or what they can do, but not everyone is like that. And I think you had to learn that through a lot of hardship, didn't you?"

Kurt bowed his head. "You are right, Fraulein."

"Frau," Shine said, smiling.

"Oh...sorry," Kurt said. "But this is a lot to accept.... I see why my friends are having a difficult time with it."

"So do you believe us?" Wally asked, sitting back down.

Kurt thought. "I do," he said. "I sense your sincerity. And it would be a serious thing to claim what you claim if you didn't believe it. I don't pretend to understand how you can be from the future, or another world, but you clearly mean it. I do not know if the others will accept it. They brought me here to see if I knew you."

"You know us now." Shine smiled. "And in a way, we sort of did know each other. All of us know each other in some way, don't we? At least, I usually see it when I meet someone. I could see it in you right away."

"I do think I know what you mean," Kurt said. "People who live by love have a different way about them...but this is not a strong case for my friends, who like to see proof. Many skeptics are in the X-Men."

Shine leaned on her hand. "I figured you didn't miss that. Not that he tries to hide it."

"You mean the one they call Gambit?" Kurt said. "Yes, he made his sentiments clear. I pray for him."

Shine laughed. "He needs it.... Not sure about Rogue either. Or the rest. They haven't talked about it. I don't think they consider that part of us to be important."

"Not everyone thinks it matters," Kurt said. "Many people care more about what you look like than what you believe.... Forgive me, but are you both human?"

"Yeah," Wally said.

"Very," Shine said.

"And you see the trouble?" Kurt said. "I do not care, but many mutants do not believe humans can understand or will understand them and their struggles. I was accepted by my brothers, but not before. And my own family hates mutants."

"Creed?" Shine said.

Kurt blinked. "Why, yes.... How did you...? Nnevermind. What I am trying to say is...it may be hard for them to think you have anything to offer them."

"Wow...I did not think you'd be that pessimistic," Wally said. "You're surprising, you know."

"Wally," Shine said. "I don't know if he's going to understand what you mean by that."

"I don't mean to be pessimistic," Kurt said. "I have the same problem with humans. They mostly ignore what I say, because of my appearance."

"And I think your warning is valid," Shine said, "but would you let it stop you?"

Kurt considered. "I would feel it was my duty to try anyway. We who know God's love must share it with the world."

"Then we must, and if this is where we were sent, this is who we must try with," Shine said. "But...for that...Kurt, we have something to ask of you."

"Do you? What?" Kurt leaned forward.

"I know we just met you, but bearing in mind how many relationships in the Bible begin after just a few seconds of time to make a decision, I'll risk it anyway," Shine said. "Wally and I have been discussing it today, and we really feel we're going to need help here. The X-Men will be watching us closely for a while. If we screw up, they'll come down on us like a ton of bricks. We need help to learn about this world. Logan is supposed to help us, but he's holding out, and we're losing precious time by it. Every hour counts in a world like this one--new crisis every other week."

Kurt nodded. "I see."

"If you feel it would be God's will," Shine went on, "we...could really use someone else with our beliefs to help us...and, to be frank, a mutant one especially. We're the only regular humans here, if we are regular, which I doubt. But to them we are humans, you see. Hank already asked us about it, and so did Xavier. They don't mean any harm, but they suspect we can't be unbiased. If you could help us, they might see that we are, and that all of us are one, in this respect."

Kurt was very quiet.

Wally looked from him to Shine but wasn't sure what to say.

Finally Kurt spoke again. "I am honored you would even ask me, but if I may, even other mutants do not usually feel comfortable around me. Even the X-Men thought I was a demon at first.... This form I have, perhaps it is to humble me, but it is off-putting.... Almost everyone hates me right away.... You may have a few obstacles, being humans, but I'm sure in a short time they would see you're sincere. I don't think I could be of much help."

Wally looked sad. "Wow...man, that's so bleak."

"But, Kurt," Shine said, "it's not just that you're mutants, you have a gift, one I'm not sure we have, to be honest. Not like you do. You inspire people, even us, and you have connections to the X-Men. Perhaps you are here for just such a time as this, just like us. We may be from different times and different worlds, but what does it matter? We're united under one purpose, aren't we? Before you say no, you have to at least pray about it, please. For God's sake, if not ours."

"I will," Kurt said, "but I'm not sure it will change my answer.... You are kind to say that, but I don't think I have any particular gift. The Lord is inspiring, not me. I am just a humble vessel."

"But a willing vessel is all that matters, humble or not," Shine countered.

Kurt actually seemed to think about that.

"I will give it more consideration," he said, "and prayer. May I have a day or two to think about it?"

"You can have a week, for all I care," Shine said.

"Yes, we're in no rush. We're on probation anyway--again," Wally said.

"This does happen a lot," Shine mused, "but it could be worse. At least Professor Xavier gave us the benefit of the doubt. The last place we were at accused us of being Villains after, like...a day."

"I'm sorry to hear it," Kurt said.

"Oh, don't be, it's nothing new." Shine stood. "And compared to what you've been through, we have nothing to complain about. We all have our share of trouble, but what we suffer for doing the right thing doesn't sting so much."

"I pray I will have that kind of faith about it," Kurt said.

Wally went to the door. "I'm surprised, but I don't think they eavesdropped."

"I'm sure they tried," Shine said, "but this room has very thick walls. I picked it on purpose. And I spoke low, so I don't think they could have made it out."

Kurt blinked. "You put a lot of thought into this."

"Kurt, after our last few missions, we've picked up the skills of CIA agents," Shine said. "They bugged, tracked, and wired us enough times for us to just assume it's there until proven otherwise."

"Checked our room for it right off," Wally said. "Not that I think the X-Men would do it, but it's a force of habit now."

"And we know where all the cameras are," Shine said. "There's not nearly as many as you'd expect though."

Kurt looked astonished. "This is worse than I thought.... That is, they are more careful. They must have a lot of reason."

"People break into this house every 6 months, so yeah," Wally snorted. "But, oh well, beats attacking school kids, I guess."

"Does it really?" Shine said. "I think it's kind of rough all around.... No, the ninjas are worse...definitely worse."

"Okay, but they're worse anyway," Wally said. "It can't get much worse than that...unless you count the demon animals."

"They weren't that bad," Shine said.

Kurt tilted his head.

"Sorry...uh, we've been a lot of weird places." Shine smiled. "If you do stick around, you'll get used to us saying bizarre things without thinking of it. Professional habit."

"I see," Kurt said. "I am not one to judge, but I would not say that in front of everyone. People are afraid of what they can't understand."

"Too true," Shine said, opening the door.

They didn't see any of the others immediately.

* * *

"Well, dis is strike two, chere," Gambit said while they were waiting.

"Whaddya mean?" Rogue sounded testy.

"First it don't work when you try to absorb information, and now the lead turns out to fall in with dem right off," Gambit said. "What next?"

"So it's my fault!" Rogue snapped, because she thought it probably was.

"Well, it was your idea."

"And who went along with it? I didn't hear you say it wouldn't work," Rogue said.

"Would you have listen if I did?" Gambit made a good point.

"Maybe." Rogue wouldn't have.

"Can you two shut up?" Logan said. "I can't hear a thing they're sayin' from here."

"That door is too thick anyway," Rogue grumbled. "And I feel like we shouldn't be eavesdropping. They asked for privacy."

"Right, and that means we should just pass this up," Logan said.

"Kurt will tell us if there's anything to worry about," Rogue said.

"No offense, Rogue, but you've met the guy twice," Logan said. "You don't know him that well."

"Well enough! And you met him too. You think he'd sell us out?" Rogue said.

"Types like him don't sell ya out on purpose," Logan said, "but if ya put it to them the right way, make it about religion, they might. People will do a lot of stupid things over their beliefs."

"I thought dey got to you," Gambit said, mockingly. "What about your faith, Logan?"

Logan scowled. "It's my business, not those two idiots."

"If you'd just tell us whatever it is they said that got you so jumpy, maybe we'd know what to think," Rogue said.

"I'll tell ya what to think," Logan said. "They think they know more than they do, and that gives them the right to interfere in other people's private business. I don't like busybodies."

"Some might call us busybodies for doing the same," Storm remarked, "and I do not think we should be spying. Move farther off from that door, Logan."

"Who's gonna make me?" Logan said.

Storm eyes turned white. "This is not the time to fight amongst ourselves. I can't imagine it will earn their confidence if we eavesdrop."

Logan moved a little farther from the door, grumbling.

"She said I would understand," Rogue muttered. "What don't I understand? What are we not good enough for them? And Kurt is because he already agrees? That don't seem fair."

"It ain't. Dey always prejudiced," Gambit said, with the air of one who'd seen it before.

It was only a few moments later that they did come back out.

Kurt came up to Rogue. "Would it be all right if I stay a few days?" he asked meekly. "There is something I need to consider before I return home. I have nowhere else to go."

"Of course. You're family," Rogue said readily.

She glanced at the other two, oddly.

Shine was beaming. "I think we're going to get on just fine. I can't thank you enough, Rogue."

This was the final straw.

"Look, I didn't bring him here to help you," Rogue said crossly. "I was trying to get to the bottom of this, because you won't tell us any more, and no one around here wants to share."

She meant Logan.

Wally chuckled. "Relax, lady, we knew that."

"You...did?" Rogue sputtered.

"Of course. We're not dumb," Shine said. "I was just teasing you, sorry." She gestured. "But it worked out. I guess God had it in hand."

She just ignored the other part!

Rogue was starting to feel like she was being brushed aside, and she didn't take kindly to that at all.

"Well...why don't you just tell us what you were talkin' about?" She pointed at them accusingly.

"We were simply talking about our jobs," Shine said. "We have a lot in common, after all. Is that so wrong?"

"So what kind of religion are you?" Gambit said.

"Christian," Shine said. "I thought it was clear. I guess not."

"Why didn't you say so before?" Storm asked.

"Didn't we?" Wally said.

"Why did it matter?" Shine asked. "The question of us staying here had nothing to do with our faith, did it? Unless there is some policy against it we didn't know about."

"No, of course not...it just...seems odd we didn't..." Storm didn't know why actually. "But I suppose it doesn't matter. Only what did it have to do with...?" She stopped. "You know what? Nevermind. You'll tell us when you're ready."

Shine looked surprised. "Why...thank you." She smiled. "How unique."

"Which I bet will be never at this rate," Logan said.

"Oh, please, you have no excuse--we did tell you," Shine said. "If you didn't put it together, it was because you didn't want to." She tossed her hair. "Now that that's over, can we get Kurt a room to stay in? And let everyone else know he'll be here. I'm sure they'll be happy to have him."

"Uh...sure," Rogue said, frowning. "But--"

"Cool." Shine walked away. "I'm going to get lunch."

"Yeah, me too. I'm starving," Wally said, following.

"Well, dat get us nowhere," Gambit said unnecessarily. "What dey tell you, preacher?"

"It was in confidence," Kurt said apologetically. "But I assure you, it was nothing you need worry about. Their intentions are pure. They are simply waiting for the right moment to explain."

"Why do they need a right moment if they're pure?" Logan said.

"Brother Logan, timing is important," Kurt said simply. "I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you. The sooner you drop this whole thing, the sooner they will probably be understood."

"Sounds like you already on deir side," Gambit said.

"I am on no one's side," Kurt said. "I just think they will feel more at home here if they are allowed to go at their own pace--what we all would like. Forcing people to share their history is not a very kind thing."

"I reckon so," Rogue said. "And if that were all, I'd understand, but it still has to do with us."

"That is Logan's place to tell," Kurt said, "not theirs."

"Kurt, what did they tell ya?" Logan demanded warily.

"Perhaps you had better just talk to them." Kurt was surprisingly kind of sassy. "They are waiting for you to broach the subject. It's not my place." He poofed toward the door. "I should fetch my things I left on the plane.... At least I thought to bring a few extra..."

He vanished.

"Anoder house guest and still no answer," Gambit summarized. "Maybe it is time to start talking, Logan."

"Stay out of it, Cajun," Logan snarled, before stalking off.

"I give up!" Rogue said. "Either they break or he does. I'm washing my hands of it!" She walked off, muttering to herself angrily.

"I do believe she's right," Storm said. "One of them will have to resolve this, not us. I'm inclined to think Logan should just confront them about his part in this, but I know it's a waste of time to tell him so, so I'm just going to wait."

She brushed herself off and walked away too.

Gambit was left to ponder the virtue of patience.

* * *

Professor X agreed that Kurt could stay as long as he wanted--everyone there trusted him after he'd helped them out before.

Scott, however, didn't care for how Shine and Wally had just recruited him, in a sense, without any hesitation. Or that he immediately seemed to trust them also.

But some of the others found it reassuring. Kurt seemed a reasonable person--if he thought they were trustworthy, then maybe the concern had been for nothing. Jubilee at least relaxed more.

Rogue chose to ignore the conflict, as she'd said, and Storm actually ignored it successfully.

They managed to get through the rest of that day with no further blow-ups.

Kurt kept to himself the day after that, doing as he promised and giving it consideration.

Shine and Wally got restless on the third day with no real employment. They tried tidying up, but beyond that had nothing to do. Shine ended up reading mostly, and Wally check out old TV shows.

On the 4th day Storm had had enough of wasting time.

"We might as well start observing them outside the house," she said.

She had to go to town to gather more supplies, and Jubilee usually went with her just to get out of the house and visit the mall, so she included Shine and Wally in her invitation.

Wally jumped at it so fast it was almost sad.

Shine was a little less eager. She didn't mind sitting around the house as much as he did, but she was still eager to explore.

They put on more city-friendly attire, and Shine somehow produced a purse, and they were all set.

The car they took made Wally geek out.

"This is vintage," he told Shine. "They don't make 'em like this anymore."

Shine didn't think it was the smoothest ride. "Do they make shock absorbers yet?" she asked.

"I think our vehicle may be a little worn down," Storm said. "We probably should replace it soon."

"Come onm Sunshine, genuine leather upholstery," Wally said. "This is the stuff. I'd love to drive this baby at home."

"I'm find with my Honda, thanks," Shine said.

"I bet they have flying cars in the future, huh?" Jubilee had decided they were basically from Back to the Future 2.

"Yeah, we call them helicopters," Shine said.

Jubilee frowned. "Hoverboards?"

"They exist but aren't common," Shine said.

"Holographic advertisements?" Jubilee tried again.

"Don't you have holograms already?" Shine replied.

"Well...yeah, but not ads..." Jubilee said. "Ooh, what kind of arcade games do you have?"

"Oh...they aren't that different," Shine said. "Arcades never get any better."

Jubilee frowned at her. "Excuse me?"

"Worse," Shine amended, "they never get any worse. They just change a few styles of games, that's all. People are more into in-home video games."

"I bet the graphics are sick, right?" Jubilee said.

"Some of them," Shine said vaguely.

"Sugar, why does it matter that much about video games?" Rogue, who had elected to come also, asked. "The real important stuff is if the world is a better place."

"Can't answer that. It wouldn't be the same as here," Shine said.

"Well, what are you good for, then?" Jubilee probably meant that as a joke, but they shot her annoyed looks anyway.

"You know, if you've seen Back to the Future 2, kid, shouldn't you know that knowing too much about the future is kind of dangerous?" Wally said a bit severely.

"Yeah, we're not here to give you cheat codes," Shine said. "But avoid social media, for the record. That's my best advice...and the news channels--it's a vanity fair. "

"That we know," Rogue said dryly. "Some things never change, I take it."

"Nothing new under the sun," Shine agreed.

"Ugh, boring," Jubilee said.

At the mall she split off to "browse."

"People!" Wally said, faking being overly excited. "Wow, it's been forever."

"76 hours is not forever," Shine said.

"Close enough," Wally said. "And...wow, this mall just screams 80s.... This ought to be a nostalgia trip and half for me. Let's find some 3-cent candy."

"Wait, you two aren't really supposed to go off alone," Storm said. "Part of our agreement is that we supervise you."

"What would we do, blow up the mall?" Shine said sarcastically.

"Look, I just think we should stick to the terms of our agreement," Storm insisted.

Storm kind of had a way with being firm and immovable.

Shine shrugged. "Fine, but can we check it out anyway? This is before the inflation of the early 2000s, and I want to gawk at the prices."

"The what of the what?" Rogue said.

"I suppose we can browse a bit," Storm compromised. "I can still get what we need. Rogue, shall we meet back here in an hour?"

"I'll just go with you," Rogue said. "Might need help carrying--" she lowered her voice, "--and reigning them in."

Storm nodded resolutely.

[I guess the mall thing is a running gag in my writing. Must be because it's such a magical, exhausting place.

I asked my mom about pricing for this era since I was not born in the 80s, and she didn't remember anything about clothes, but somehow could tell me penny candy went up to 3 cents. Priorities!]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 3.5K 24
After being rescued by two men from the cruel prison she's spent most of her life in, Willow has much adjusting to do and much to learn about other p...
20.9K 1.6K 12
A mediocre human isn't exactly a likely protagonist, or so he thinks until something decidedly not average happens to him - an alpha werewolf way out...
396 1 24
The Dawn of X has arrived in the Marvel Universe. Xavier and his allies have founded the new mutant nation of Krakoa, promising a safe and supportive...
179 2 12
Dominic is finally making a life for himself. He's going to a small community college, he has a part-time job at a bakery that pays well, and he fina...