The Life of Viscount Downton...

By downton_bridgerton

[UNDER HEAVY EDITING] The little boy that Robert and Cora Crawley hoped for has safely arrived, making him th... More

Prologue
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI

I

1.3K 22 2
By downton_bridgerton

June 1927

Alexander Isidore Crawley woke up at the sun shining from the window of his room. Despite the heavy curtain that cover them, light still manages to get in.

He slowly gets up and wears his glasses as he manages himself for a quick bath and change. He knows that everyone else isn't up this early in the morning, so he learns to help himself, despite having a valet of his own.

He dressed simple: a white button up shirt, a black and yellow necktie, and his favorite blue sweater vest. He then gives himself a quick hair comb before quietly heading downstairs to the kitchen, where he saw Mrs. Patmore and Daisy preparing breakfast.

"Good morning, Mrs. Patmore! Good morning, Miss Daisy!" He said happily as he glides across the kitchen, secretly snatching a piece of bread on the table.

"Good morning, Lord Downton!" the cook and her assistant greeted in unison.

Alex have been close to the two of them ever since he was young, letting him sneak out a candy or two, or even sometimes a piece of cake whenever the rest of the family aren't looking.

"Up for another bike ride around town, milord?" Mrs. Patmore asked.

"Of course!" Alex replied, pouring himself some cold milk from the refrigerator "It's a great way to start your day, you know."

"Oh, not to me," Mrs. Patmore said "I've been cooking since the break of dawn and that's how I start my day."

Mrs. Hughes then entered, and immediately caught Alex getting another piece of bread.

"Lord Downton, I know you're up early, but please leave some bread for the rest of us" she said, making Alex surprised and almost stumble on his seat.

"Mrs. Hughes!" he then said after regaining his balance "You really scared the soul out of me!"

Mrs. Hughes chuckles softly "I'm sorry, milord. But if you're going to finish up all the bread, surely there is nothing left after!"

"I can buy one, then. At Mr. Bakewell's!" Alex said, and chugs down his glass of milk "And are there some supplies that needed to be picked up, Mrs. Patmore?"

"You don't have to, sir" Mrs. Patmore said "And it's a lot of items, so I believe they'll delivered it later before lunchtime."

"Well, I'll have to go now." Alex smiles "I might be late for breakfast if I don't go on."

"Be careful, Alex" Mrs. Hughes said.

The Viscount stops his tracks for a moment and smiled, as she was one of the very few people downstairs who can call him by his name.

"I will, Mrs. Hughes" he turns back to her and gave her a quick kiss on her cheek before wearing his hat "I'll be back in time for breakfast, I promise."

He then quickly heads off back upstairs, where Mr. Molesley was already waiting for him with his bike, as well a bouquet of new flowers that were just picked from their garden. Alex then thanks him before heading off to the village.

***

At the Dower House, Violet Crawley wasn't really expecting any guests at this early in the morning. That is, not until someone suddenly arrives at her doorstep.

"The Viscount Downton, Your Ladyship." Spratt then announced as Alex smiles and enters the house.

"Alexander!" Violet looks up at her grandson from her seat "Why are you up this early?"

"Can't your handsome grandson visit you every now and then?" Alex said and gave her kiss on the cheek before sitting down beside her.

"Of course you can come and visit, but I am quite surprised that you did at this early hour." Violet replied "They might be looking for you back there already."

"Don't worry, Granny. It's still early and they won't be down anytime soon" Alex then pulls up the bouquet "I do have to give you these, which is why I came here at this hour. These are some of the new flowers from the garden"

"Oh my!" Violet looks at the bouquet in surprise as she receives it "Is this really for me?"

"Of course, Granny." Alex chuckles "No one likes flowers more than you do."

He then caught a small smile from her grandmother, making him smile as well. He rarely saw her smile on small things, but he's glad that he just witnessed one now.

Violet then looks at her grandson again, who was smiling at her all along "Are you feeling alright, dear boy?"

"Yes...yes, of course" Alex snaps back to reality before standing up "I do really have to go now, Granny. I might be late for breakfast."

"Yes, do go on now." Violet said as he leans down to kiss her cheek "I'll see you all for tea later."

Alex nods in agreement before heading out of the house. Violet Crawley wasn't really expecting any guests at this early in the morning. But if it's her grandson, Alexander...

...well, she can make an exception.

***

Alex then bikes off fast to Mister Bakewell's first to buy two loaves of bread before quickly biking again back to the house.

"Lord Downton! You're just in time" Thomas Barrow then greets him by the entrance "His Lordship just got down, as well as Lady Mary and Mister Branson."

"Thank you, Mister Barrow." Alex smiles as he parks his bike and gives the loaves of bread to him as they head inside "Please do tell Mrs. Hughes that I brought back bread for everyone downstairs. And, don't tell anyone in my family about this."

"Yes, milord." Barrow replied before heading downstairs as Alex heads to the dining hall.

***

"Ah, look who's here! The Little Prince of Downton." Lady Mary Talbot said as she saw her little brother jogging quickly to the dining hall.

"Good morning to you too, my dear sister." Alex grins before planting a kiss on her cheek.

"You went on another bike ride again?" His father, Robert asked him as he sat down.

"Of course, Papa!" Alex replied, planting a kiss on his cheek as well "It's how I start my day."

"A healthy way, I might add" his brother-in-law, Tom Branson said.

"Yes! Thank you for the support, Tom." Alex smiles "I suggests you should do it too, Papa."

"I think I'll prefer walking around the grounds with Teo, thank you very much." Alex chuckles softly at his comment as he sat down beside his sister.

Breakfast was rather quiet, except when both Tom and Mary discuss about the estate and the car business, while his father simply read the morning news. Alex tries his best to listen, but he's not really that interested...at least, not yet.

***

After breakfast, the young Viscount quickly rush upstairs to his parents' room and gave their door a knock before being allowed to enter.

"Alexander, my darling boy." his mother Cora then said as he opened the door to enter.

"Good morning, my beautiful Mama." Alex smiles, then sitting beside her and kisses her cheek "How are you?"

"I'm quite good. Baxter just brought up my breakfast." she smiled, "And you?"

"I am quite well, too. I just had breakfast, and I went to the Dower House." Alex replied, removing his shoes and settling down beside her.

"You went to Granny? Why so?"

"Well, the new flowers arrived earlier today and I thought I'd bring her some."

"But you didn't bring one for me?" Cora teased.

"Well...I mean, we can have a stroll around the grounds later, if you like." Alex smiled nervously, making his Mama chuckle.

"Oh, it's alright Darling. You don't have to be quite nervous about it." Cora smiles, making him relieved.

They then heard another knock, and saw Robert enter the room.

"Why are you here?" the Earl asked his son as he enters.

"Well, why can't I be here?" Alex replied. Cora was trying not to laugh, clearly sensing the sarcasm in his voice.

"It's because this is our room."

"Well technically, it's Mama's room. Your room is the other side."

"But I sleep here, too."

"And just because you sleep here doesn't mean it's your room, too"

"Well, I–" Robert stops himself, and sighs in defeat "Alright, you win." His son and wife then shared a laugh, making him chuckle along.

"Well, at least your Mama has two of her favorite men here with her now." he gently sat down on nearby Cora and held her hand, making her smile at both of them.

"I...I actually have been meaning to talk to both of you, for some time now." Alex then said, looking at them.

"Why, Darling?" Cora looks at him, suddenly concerned "Is something of the matter?"

"I want to talk about the school that I'll go to, once I'm thirteen."

"And...what school did you choose?" Robert asked.

"Harrow School." Alex replied "One of the most prestigious schools in England, alongside Eton."

"But why not Eton?" Of course, he also expecting that question—from none other than his father himself.

"Because—because I don't really see myself in such an institution like Eton." he replied, "In fact, I think I will hate it in there."

"But Eton is the most prestigious school in all of England!" Robert said "Harrow is great, yes. But not as great as Eton!"

"I know Papa, but Eton is too...traditional. I know that you went there, as well as many Crawley men before me." Alex explained in a respectful matter "But I don't see myself there. I want to try something new, like I've always done."

Robert then stood up, and looks at him "I'll think about it." he said.

"But you're not mad? Disappointed?" Alex carefully asked.

"A bit disappointed, yes. But not mad." his father replied as he heads to the door "Just...give me time to think about it."

As the older man exits the room, Alex sighs softly and looks at his mother.

"What about you, Mama?" he then inquired her "Are you disappointed with me as well?"

"Of course not!" Cora said, and reaches out to fix his messy hair "In fact, I am going to support you in your decision."

"Really?" the young man said, quite surprised at his mother's support.

"Yes, no matter what they say." Cora smiles "Don't worry about it for now. We will all have a proper discussion on this some time soon."

Alex smiles back, grateful for his mother's support. And although he doesn't have high hopes, he hopes his father will eventually support his decision as well. But the only obstacle left, if not pretty obvious—is his grandmother, Violet.

"By the way, Mama," he then remembered "Granny said she will come by here for tea later."

"Really? Did she say why?" Cora asked.

Alex shakes his head "I suppose she just wants to visit. But other than that, I don't really know."

"Well, we'll see about that later." Cora said, and kisses his cheek "Go on now. I'll join you for a walk later before tea time."

The young Viscount nodded, and kisses her cheek as well before heading out of his parents' room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.1K 1.4K 20
When the youngest Crawley sister falls in love with the chauffeur trouble ensues.
2.8K 71 11
Continuation of Downton Abbey, the life of the third daughter (OC) of Robert and Cora Crawley. MUST READ SEASON 1,2,3 BEFORE READING THIS TO CATCH U...
421 18 13
What if Robert and Cora Crawley had a fourth daughter who were born in 1906 Gabriella is secret hero with Anne Shirley, Diana Barry, Ruby Gills and...
94K 1.6K 33
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 the second eldest Crawley sister navigates life at Downton when a new heir arrives ⇥ matthew crawley x margaret crawley (oc...