Golden Destiny

Galing kay FelicityGWrites

Mia Larkin, born to a latent wolf and her pack's Beta, was rejected by her destined mate because of her possi... Higit pa

Chapter 1. - Mia
Chapter 2. - Harper
Chapter 3. - Mate
Chapter 4. - Realizations
Chapter 5. - Royalty
Chapter 6. - Character
Chapter 7. - Severed
Chapter 8. - Attack
Chapter 9. - Ascension
Chapter 10. - Revelations
Chapter 11. - Second Thoughts
Author's Note
Chapter 12. Alexei
Chapter 13. Turning Tides
Chapter 14. Recognition
Chapter 16. Substitute
Chapter 17. Pillars
Chapter 18. Curiosity

Chapter 15. Backtrack

84 7 20
Galing kay FelicityGWrites

"Mia!" We heard dad's voice after what was presumably the door hit the wall hard.

Mom looked at my four older brothers, Harper, and myself and gave us a knowing look. Dad came into the kitchen where we all were.

Only a few words had been said once we got home, my brothers as their wolves, myself in skin wearing Harper's coat, which thankfully came down to mid-thigh.

As soon as the rogues ran into the woods, my brothers quickly went to where I was standing in front of Adam and herded me out of there. They told me to shift once we were out of sight of the rest of the teachers and students, but not before we ran into Alpha Andrew and his cavalry.

He was clearly surprised at seeing a fifth wolf among my brothers, but since Harper was there with us, I guess he quickly added things up.

His parting words to us were, "I want to have a meet with all of you later tonight at the pack house."

After I had shifted back to skin, my brothers kept on urging me towards the direction of home and when we got to our house, they all rushed to their rooms except for Jervin, who waited until we were inside and the door was closed, only then did that weird glow leave his eyes. The moment it did, he shook his big wolf head, licked my cheek, and headed upstairs as well.

I looked at Harper to say that I was going to my room as well to shower and change, but my mom's voice stopped me.

"What in the Goddess' name happened, Mia? Where are your clothes? Did you shift? In public?" She asked, clearly panicked.

"Don't worry, Your Highness. Jervin did a great job at glamouring her," Harper explained.

My mom relaxed and nodded as though she understood what Harper was talking about. I, on the other hand, had no idea what that meant.

Mom told me to shower and change and as I was on my way upstairs, some of my brothers were going down. Jameson was the first to reach the kitchen, obviously, because I heard mom's voice ring out, "Jameson Larkin, tell me why your sister had to be in the position where she had no choice but to shift to wolf. And make sure that explanation will be good, young man."

I snickered, as did some of my brothers. We all knew Jameson wasn't in any real trouble with mom as soon as she heard about what had happened at school.

After I cleaned myself and changed into a pair of jeans and a hoodie, I went downstairs to find my older brothers and Harper sitting around the breakfast table looking properly chastised.

"What's going—" I started to ask, but Harper shot me a look that clearly told me to shut my mouth.

I took one of the open seats and sat as my brothers and best friend did, silent and waiting.

Until dad got home and banged the door open.

When he entered the kitchen, he immediately went to me and pulled me up. He wrapped his arms around me so tight, and considering he hasn't done this before, I felt like he was squeezing the water from my body, forcing it to leak from my eyes.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my mom smile and Jameson, who was beside her, looked down at his hands on the table.

When dad loosened his hold, he cupped my face in his hands and said, choking up, "I was so afraid I was going to lose you, sweetheart," as his eyes started to fill up.

I saw him take a moment to reel his feelings in, and wondered at how he was able to do it, and then I realized, he had always done it. When I was growing up, he was able to mask his true emotions from the world, even from me, and he did this at a high cost.

Because he almost lost the love I had for him.

Almost.

Especially when my mom, and Harper, and my brothers were with me up on that mountain, knowing that rogues were in the area, and also thinking that dad put his position in the pack above us, above me, he almost lost my love.

Now, I knew better.

He had been carrying a heavy burden.

And he must have known, with each passing day, with how the way I looked at him changed because of the way he had been cold to me, the way he looked at mom, that he was losing his part in my heart.

And that must have made the burden he carried all the more heavier.

I wanted to hug him right then, hug him as tight as he had been hugging me just a few seconds ago, but for this man, this wolf who had to risk losing his daughter's love for a duty that my grandparents and their peers had given him, I held it in.

So that he could, as well.

His hands descended to my shoulders and he looked around.

"Where's Jessie?" He asked.

"He wasn't there, dad," Jarick told him. "I guess we have one thing to thank his little girlfriend for. She wasn't there, either."

Dad nodded and motioned for me to sit back down.

He took the chair at the head of the table and roamed his eyes around us all.

"Now, tell me what happened."

Jameson told him the events that led us there. When he got to the part where the rogue leader told everyone there that all they wanted was Adam, dad sat up.

"He wasn't after Mia?"

Jameson shook his head.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, dad. It was only Adam they wanted," Jagger put in.

"Why are you asking, honey? Is there something we need to know?" Mom asked dad.

I looked at dad and saw dad's face gentle upon looking at her.

"Nothing concrete yet. But one of Chief Cochise's men came to me one night and told me to take extra care with Mia," he said.

"What does that mean?" I heard Harper ask.

Dad looked at her, maybe surprised that she was there.

"I mean, what does that mean, Your Highness?" Harper corrected.

Dad bellowed out a laugh. We all looked at each other, clearly wondering what the eff was so funny. He calmed down and told Harper, "'Your Highness,' yeah, that's not me. It's Uncle River to you, Harper."

And then to all of us, "He had no time to tell me details, or if this was the threat he was talking about."

We all fell silent for a while then Jervin said, "Oh, and something really weird happened towards the end."

Dad stayed quiet, waiting for him to continue.

"That rogue looked at Mia when the earthquake happened and it looked like he called out to his wolves and then that was it. They left," Jervin continued.

"He bowed to her, too," Harper added.

Mom spoke up, "He bowed?"

Harper answered in the affirmative and mom got up, mumbling something about needing to call her parents.

"There's something else, dad. We came upon the Alpha on our way home and he told us to meet with him in the pack house later tonight," Jameson said.

Dad nodded.

"Yes, I figured he would want to speak to Mia after he saw her wolf."

"Wait. You're not concerned that our secret's out? What about the importance of keeping this all hush-hush?" I said, flabbergasted at his non-reaction to the reveal that had inadvertently happened.

Dad raised an eyebrow, looked at Jervin and said to him, "I assumed you'd take care of it."

"I did, although it was sort of touch and go there at the beginning. We didn't imagine she would shift just to defend Adam," Jervin answered.

What?

"What?" I asked, not understanding how Jervin "took care of it."

"I think your mom should be the one to tell you about it," dad said.

I looked at the doorway mom had gone through then turned my sight back on the people at the table.

"Well, considering mom's not here, and you all seem to be talking in riddles, and we agreed to not have secrets about me and the part I play in this prophecy, why can't one of you do it?" I tell them, my eyebrow raised.

Harper spoke up, "You're right."

I waited for her to continue, and to my relief, she didn't disappoint.

"It is written that each of the six major players in the prophecy will have five pillars. Two shields to protect them, a guide to see what's to come, a light to lend strength and lead eyes away, and wings to carry them to safety if need be."

"Okay," I said, not really understanding.

"We're your pillars, Mia. Jameson and I are your shields. This means we have strength that's greater than most. Jarick is your guide. This is why he has visions of the future specially pertaining to you," Harper continued.

I nodded, this time, getting some of it. "Jag," I said, looking at him. "You're my wings. That's why James told you to take me away fast if something happened earlier."

Jagger nodded, a smile on his face.

I looked at Jervin, and said, "And you're my light. What does that mean?"

"First of all, I'm like an energy cell for you and you alone, Mia. When you feel weakened, I can transfer energy to you. But also, and this answers your earlier question, I can manipulate the light around you to make you appear as I want."

My mouth opened.

"So when we were little, when mom couldn't find me for hours and got mad at me after and not let me have any ice cream for a week, that was you?!" I screeched.

Jameson guffawed and lightly backhanded Jervin on the chest.

"Told you she'd find out eventually," he said, chuckling.

I took a deep breath and looked at Jervin again.

"So earlier, clearly you didn't make me invisible so what did you do?"

"I masked your shift and your wolf, made it appear as a normal shift and you as a normal wolf. You shift different than other wolves, Mia, you already know this. I almost wasn't able to do it in time, since that rogue was on me, thanks for having my back, by the way, Jar," he looked at Jar.

"Always, brother," Jarick said.

"When I looked at you, your eyes were glowing. Was that the reason why?" I asked Jervin, completely fascinated with his ability.

"Yes, that happens when I need to concentrate really hard."

"That rogue saw it too. Right before they ran away," I told him.

Jameson and my dad gave each other knowing looks.

"What?" I asked them.

"Nothing yet, honey. Your mom's right. Your grandparents need to know about this before we can figure things out. Now, how about you all get ready for the meeting with the Alpha?"

"Wait," I stopped them before they could get up. "What about Jessie? If you four," I said, gesturing to my older brothers, "are four of my pillars, and Harper is the fifth, what does that mean for Jessie?"

"I'm afraid that's something we're still yet to figure out, sweetheart," dad said.

———0———

My mom, brothers, including Jessie, and I were waiting in front of the pack house for dad when the door opened and Luna Heidi came out to greet us.

"Come in, dinner's in about ten minutes. Andrew's in his office and he'd like to speak to you before we eat," she said, taking our coats as we entered.

We were walking to the office just as dad joined us. I looked at him, and saw that he had his mask on, again playing a part for the pack to see.

He went to the front and knocked on the door. We heard Alpha Andrew's voice tell us to come in and we all filed inside.

Alpha Andrew's gaze touched each of us and I distinctly saw a slight sneer of disgust when his eyes passed through mom. I wanted so much to punch him in the face.

"Sit," the Alpha said, gesturing towards the couches. I was sandwiched between dad and Jameson, the two of them acting as my guard, the rest of my brothers ushering mom to the single armchair in the room, surrounding her, as well. They clearly saw what I saw from Alpha Andrew earlier and they didn't like it.

"We're having a celebration two nights from now, on Saturday to honor our dead. Your family will be the guests of honor."

"This is greatly appreciated, Alpha, but we don't deserve such recognition. My boys were just doing what any wolf in this pack would have done," my father said.

"Nonsense, River. This entire pack knows that a lot more than four wolves would be dead had your boys not arrived when they did," Alpha Andrew insisted.

And then he looked at me, and I swear, I felt a creepy shiver run down my spine.

"And then there's your daughter. Mia, how great is it that in your great desire to protect my son, your mate and future Alpha, you found your wolf."

"You shifted?" I heard Jessie's voice from across the room.

I looked at him and nodded. His eyes grew wide, and then he looked down guiltily. I think he was remembering what he said to me back when I was about to go to Adam's and my Severance Ceremony,

Funny. It seemed like that happened ages ago, a lot has happened since then.

The office door opened and Luna Heidi poked her head inside to announce that dinner was ready.

We all stood up and my brothers began filing out the door. Before I could step outside, Alpha Andrew told my dad, "I'd like to speak to Mia in privacy, River. Shut the door behind you."

My dad hesitated for a split second then gave me a look and walked out.

I faced the Alpha. "Yes, Alpha? You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yes," he said, walking around to sit on his desk, perhaps wanting to remind me that he was the Alpha of this pack. My Alpha.

"You must reconsider the matebond between you and my son, Mia."

I felt my eyes grow wide.

"The only reason why we were against your mating was because you didn't have your wolf. Now, you do," he said, as if that was enough reason to do what they did.

"I'm sorry, Alpha. Are you saying that Adam wanted to honor the matebond?"

He laughed. This ass laughed.

"Oh no, dear girl. He was so happy when we agreed to the Severance Ceremony. But that is neither here nor there. What matters is that now, you have your wolf, and you will make a good Luna for my son."

"Didn't the Severance Ceremony cut the matebond that tied me to your son?" I asked.

"Yes, well, while a chosen bond is not ideal, we have to make do with the situation we have. I'm sure the Moon Goddess would be appeased if the both of you were to try and put things back as she wanted them to be."

"Appeased?" I asked. And then it dawned on me. "You think Adam mating with me would bring back Adam's wolf," I guessed.

All signs of joviality left Andrew's face. He stood up and walked to where I was standing by the door.

"You had better keep that information to yourself, pup. And yes, so do your obligation to your Alpha family and agree to the mating with Adam or else—"

I cut him off before he could completely deliver his threat.

"Or else what, Alpha Andrew? Because the way I understand what you just said, you won't do anything to harm me since you need me to hopefully bring your son's wolf back," I told him, not able to stop some of my dominance seep through with my words.

His eyes widened so slightly, I thought I imagined it.

And then he stepped back and very calmly told me, "There are other ways to get your cooperation, Mia Larkin. And don't forget, I am your Alpha. One command from me and I can make you mate with anyone I like. I'm just giving you the chance to make the correct choice on your own."

———0———

The following day, Harper and I were at school early in the morning, along with so many other kids, one would think the day prior had just been an ordinary day.

I saw students milling about the parking lot, with the doors to the school shut, some teachers, wolves and humans manning the front. The principal, who was a wolf, arrived and told us to settle down for some announcements.

Because there were four casualties, the humans were apprised of the "situation," in that  three men did get into the school and killed two students before the English teacher managed to take them down at the cost of his own life. The men according to the official story, were not students, but random persons who had somehow gotten into school grounds with the intent not to kill, but to just steal.

That being said, school was closed for the day, a day for mourning the lives that were lost. The human children, their families, and even humans from the nearby towns left flowers and notes by the school fences, memorials for the wolves who had lost their lives too early. By the end of the day, the flowers had overflowed to the street, but no one, human or wolf, who passed by made a fuss, and instead stopped for a moment, bowed their heads, and said a few words for the wind to hear.

Back home, the families of the wolves who had died came by the house to thank my brothers for getting revenge upon their son's, daughter's and mate and father's killers. A lot of other wolves who had children or relatives who went to or worked at the school also made known their gratitude.

Surprisingly, they also included me in their thanks, saying that they were grateful that I protected the future Alpha.

———0———

The celebration on Saturday night was somber at the beginning as we all paid witness to the end of the lives of four of our wolves.

Their bodies were set upon four pyres, covered with flowers and letters, and things that were put there by their families and friends, who spoke for and about them.

A prayer was said by the Alpha, and the pyres were lit by the pack warriors, all in full regalia, uniforms that were specially made to be worn on special occasions, both good and bad.

We stood around the pyres as their bodies turned to ash, each of us saying our own prayers to the Moon Goddess to welcome these wolves in her midst, the belief being that it's the pack's requests that would reach the Goddess' ears, enjoining her to welcome them back home.

Afterwards, Alpha Andrew called my brothers and I to the front and did this whole speech about how the pack would have suffered more losses had they not been there. I could tell my brothers were very uncomfortable with the attention, as was I. But we stayed there, waiting until his long-winded speech was over.

Tawny was giving me the dirty eye all throughout the night but I paid her no mind. She was clinging to Adam like a bad rash, and Adam looked like he wanted her there.

Once our eyes met and I just knew he made it a point to draw Tawny nearer, hold her closer.

I just shrugged.

So much for wanting to rekindle our bond.

———0———

By Monday, Harper and I saw fresh flowers by the memorials and I knew there would be fresh flowers there for a long time. Some of the human students were coming out of their cars, or coming down from the bus, holding flowers and immediately going to the memorials to lay their offerings down.

The gratitude of humans en masse was a sight to behold.

As we were going inside the school, the principal's assistant called me over.

"Principal Malone wants to see you," she said.

I went to the principal's office and heard the tail end of a conversation.

"Are you sure everything has been prepared?" I heard a slightly accented voice say.

"Yes, Your Highness. She'll be here any moment now," the principal answered.

I knocked on the door and was told to come inside.

"Ms. Larkin, this is Prince Veren O'Caroll, Crown Prince of the Irish Crown. He's here as a transfer student. I'd like you to show him around, make sure he doesn't get lost in the halls," principal Malone told me.

I nodded. "Sure, no problem."

The prince made his way to me and as he came closer and closer, in fact closer than what was appropriate, I was entranced with his eyes that appeared green from afar, but were in fact, made up of a variety of different colors.

"Mia Larkin, it's a pleasure to meet you. You may call me Veren. The title that principal Malone just said is such a mouthful, don't you think?" He teased, holding out his hand.

The moment I took it, I saw a flicker of disappointment in his eyes before they went back to their smiling state.

And then he added, "And maybe you can you show me around town as well."

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

3.7K 167 14
Beta Frank Crisp felt down after he rejected his mate. (His rejections of her was in The Shunned Wolf Fights Back.) They have over the years discusse...
7.4K 246 35
Life isn't easy when you're a teenage girl living in a house full guys. Throw in a controlling father, an overprotective brother and a jackass of a w...
1.1M 33.4K 28
Jade is a 15 year old girl. She is different from everyone in her pack. Because her eyes are multicolored she's bullied because no one has ever seen...
640K 9.9K 28
Isabelle Slate had gone her whole life looking forward to finding her mate- the one who'd look after her, love her, and protect her. But when she's m...