You Are My Encanto

By OneAlexAndRyan

πŸ¦‹β€’Β°Β―'β€’β€’ ⭐️ 𝒲𝒽𝒢𝓉'π“ˆ π’½π“Šπ“‡π“‰π’Ύπ“ƒπ‘” πŸŒ•π“Šπ“‡ 𝓂𝒾𝓇𝒢𝒸𝓁𝑒¿ ⭐️ β€’β€’'Β―Β°β€’πŸ¦‹ ... More

πŸ†- | Chapter Two | -🌳
| Chapter Three |
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen

✨- | Chapter One | -✨

836 21 19
By OneAlexAndRyan

In la Casa Madrigal, it was far from odd to wake up to the sound of floorboards and tiles shuffling about, or the shingles dancing to their own unique tune across the roof. It created its own music in a way, and gave the Madrigals something that grounded them in the magic of the miracle, and in the enchanted house the family was so lucky to call their home.

Today, you woke up to something unlike the typical symphony outside your bedroom window, which filled the air with the sound of Casita to greet you. Instead, you woke to a different kind of music, and a series of short knocks on your door. You thought you could hear a voice just outside in the hall, so in a matter of a minute you were up, your favorite leather bag slung over your shoulder, and shimmying into your skirt as you opened your door. Never mind the hair...it was too much trouble.

As you pulled your door back, you caught sight of your closest friend, Mirabel Madrigal, singing and dancing merrily through the halls. She jumped between each of the hypnotically shimmering doors, knocking on each of them with a cheerful tune. She stopped short at Abuela Alma's door, a wide smile painting her face. The elderly matriarch herself had emerged, her face set in a pleased smile. Even still, Mirabel continued her song.

"Woah! Let's be clear, Abuela runs this show~ Woah! She led us here so many years ago~"

Each of the Madrigal children emerged from their doors, each joining in on Mirabel's joyful, upbeat tune. Your eyes wandered between each of them, finally resting on Abuela Alma's steady demeanor.

"Woah! And every year, our family blessings grow!"

You were delighted to see Mirabel making her way back to you, and she gripped both of your hands in hers. She spun you around a bit before Casita helped the both of you safely down the stairs with a smooth wooden ramp, and to the front door. It was clear Mirabel was having a rather excitable morning so, being her bestest friend in the world, you decided to join in on the fun. The next part, the both of you sang together.

"There's just a lot you simply got to know, so..."

The two of you burst through the tall wooden doors, and the entire family poured out into town. You caught several pairs of eyes on you as you sang, partially because listening to you had always been several of the Madrigals' favorite pastimes. Especially for one Camilo Madrigal. His gaze on you lingered as he followed his family into town, and you felt a warmth spreading up to your cheeks. You sent him a playful wink, which he returned with a toothy grin.

"Welcome to the family Madrigal!"

Mirabel spun once, twirling her skirt, and took the next line.

"The home of the family Madrigal, we're on our way!" You turned slightly and waved goodbye to Casita, and followed Mirabel out into town.

"Where all the people are fantastical and magical! I'm part of the family Madrigal~"

A small group of children gathered in the town clamored after one another, and after the family. You walked in the back, beside Mirabel, grinning at one another as they began crowding you.

"Ohmigosh it's them!" one of the children exclaimed, waving and pointing at the family excitedly. Then, where one started, several others would continue. Several of them talked over one another, each vying for yours or Mirabel's attention. One of them pulled at your arm, earning a little laugh from Mirabel.

"Alright, alright! Relax," she told them lightheartedly, holding her hands up in a little surrender.

"It is physically impossible to relax!" one of the girls exclaimed, waving her arms in the air frustratingly.

"Tell us everything!" the other shouted. "What are your powers?"

"Just tell us what everyone can do!" a boy exclaimed, jittering as he struggled to hold a cup full of something with a familiar scent. It sloshed around, splashing and spilling out onto the cobblestone street.

You reached down and plucked the cup from his hands, holding it up at your level with a nervous smile.

"Aaaand that's why coffee is for grown-ups!"

The two of you then moved to stand in front of a mural of the entire Madrigal family, and the small army of children gathered in front. Mirabel gestured to her Tía first.

"My Tía Pepa, her mood affects the weather!"

You then took your turn, leaning in towards the children with your hands on your knees. You held one hand up to cup the side of your mouth, as though you were telling them a secret.

"When she's unhappy, well...the temperature gets weird~"

"My Tío Bruno—"

"We don't talk about Bruno!" The entire street suddenly cut Mirabel off, and she leaned in closer to the kids to explain.

"They say he saw the future..."

"One day he disappeared."

"Oh! And that's my mom Julieta, here's her deal—"

You and the children followed Mirabel to the center of town, where Julieta herself stood feeding the ill and injured of the town.

"Woah!"

"The truth is she can heal you with a meal!"

"Woah!"

"Her recipes are remedies for real!"

You leaned into the kids again, arms folded loosely over your chest.

"If you're impressed imagine how we feel—"

Julieta set down her basket of buñuelos, and pressed a big kiss to Mirabel's cheek, spinning her across the plaza as the kids all watched, laughing.

"Mom!"

"Welcome to the family Madrigal!" You danced around the plaza with Mirabel, children in tow.

"The home of the family Madrigal!"

"Hey, coming through!" You smiled apologetically at the couple you'd jumped through, racing to catch up with Mirabel.

"I know it sounds a bit fantastical and magical, but I'm part of the family Madrigal!"

Felix and Agustín came walking up to you, dancing, quite frankly, as dads did. You jumped to the space between them, and threw your arms over both of their shoulders as you swayed your hips from side to side.

"Two guys fell in love with family Madrigal!"

Mirabel spun to stand in front of them, pointing to them for the kids as they watched, amazed.

"And now they're part of the family Madrigal~"

"Felix married Pepa, y Agustín married Julieta, it's how Abuela became an abuela Madrigal!"

The entire family all gathered around Abuela, dispersing when Mirabel came and pulled you away.

"Let's go, let's go!"

Abuela smiled as the family all went back to doing what they were doing, and started singing her own song as she got caught in a line of people, passing bricks along.

"We swear to always help those around us, and earn the miracle that somehow found us. The town keeps growing, the world keeps turning, but work and dedication will keep the miracle burning, and each new generation must keep the miracle burning."

Mirabel looked to you, and hooked her arm into yours.

"Wait...who's the sister and who's the cousin?" one of the children asked, confused.

"There's so many people!"

"How do you keep them all straight?"

You looked at Mirabel, guiding her back to the mural of the family. You split and stood beside yourself; or rather, the painted image of yourself, standing between Camilo and Antonio. You looked to be in a bit of a dance, one hand at your waist, the other raised to the sky, palms facing upward as wisps of golden light surrounded you like a delicate oil painting you'd seen in shops.

"Okay, okay, okay, okay! So many kids in our house, so let's turn the sound up! You know why? I think it's time for a grandkid round-up!"

You shook the stray thoughts now wandering your mind, and forced yourself back into the current reality.

"Cousin Dolores can hear a pin drop!"

You nodded, waving to Dolores, and pointed off to a nearby bench where Camilo was helping a young mother with her fussy baby. You smiled, feeling a familiar heat rushing to your face.

"Camilo shape shifts," you explained. "Antonio gets his gift today!"

Mirabel then wandered back to the plaza, standing between her sisters.

"My older sisters, Isabela and Luisa!"

"One strong, one graceful—perfect in every way," you added.

"Grows a flower, the town goes wild!"

As if on cue, Isabela twirled, and a wave of gorgeous blooms flooded the town square. You could see Mariano up on a balcony directly above, smiling dreamily at the eldest Madrigal grandchild.

"She's the perfect golden child~"

You then fist-bumped Luisa as she walked by, right as she picked up the bridge that you, Mirabel and the children were standing on, and set it down over the river.

"And Luisa's super strong! The beauty and the brawn do no wrong!"

Mirabel led the group of children over the bridge next, jumping up on the wall as she continued her dance.

"That's life in the family Madrigal!"

You jumped up on the other side, twirling your skirt as Mirabel did. The wind blew hair into your face, so you flicked it back.

"Woah!"

"Now you know the family Madrigal!"

"Woah!"

The two of you jumped off the bridge, dancing up to the next street.

"Where all the people are fantastical and magical!"

"That's who they are in the family Madrigal!"

You each hooked arms again, and you raised a goodbye salute to the kids.

"Adiós!"

Right as you turned, another child appeared silently at your feet, startling you.

"But what are your gifts?!" she asked, looking up at the both of you with wide, bright eyes and a big, innocent smile.

You looked over at Mirabel, but at the moment she was difficult to read. The absence of her gift had always bothered her a bit, you knew, even if she never said anything. You couldn't exactly tell the kid that, though.

Shrugging your shoulders in a small movement, you knelt down a little closer to the height of the children. You opened your mouth to say something, but what came out sounded unsure.

"Well...I have something called photokinesis," you explained, glancing over at Mirabel. Still no read on her expression. "That means I can control light." The children all looked between each other with amazement, one of them even clapping their hands.

"Wow! Really?"

You nodded your head slowly, forcing a tight smile. You held your palm out to the sky, and a ball of golden-yellow light grew in your hand, shimmering brightly, even in broad daylight.

"Wow!" The girl looked to Mirabel, the same expectant flame in her eyes. "What's your gift?!"

Mirabel barely opened her mouth to protest before a nearby instrument shop owner tossed an accordion into her hands, and she went into a mode of intense nervous breakdown...through song.

"Ah...well, I gotta go, the life of a Madrigal!"

She darted away, but wherever she went, the children followed. You reached out to take her hand and pull her back, but she evaded your grasp too easily. You ran with the children to try and catch her.

"Wait—!"

"But now you all know the family Madrigal!"

"Mirabel!"

"I never meant this to get autobiographical!"

"Hey!"

"So, just to review the family Madrigal, let's go!"

The children got closer, chanting after Mirabel. You ran after her, but always just barely missed her hand.

"But what about Mirabel?"

"It starts with Abuela and then Tía Pepa, she handles the weather—"

"But, Mirabel—!"

"My mom Julieta can make you feel better with just one arepa!"

"But what about Mirabel?!"

"My dad Agustín, well, he's accident-prone but he means well!"

"But what about Mirabel?!"

"Hey, you said you wanted to know what everyone does, I've got sisters and cousins and—"

"Mirabel!"

"Mi amiga y/n's got a light that'll show you the way!"

"Mirabel—"

"My primo Camilo won't stop until he makes you smile today!"

"Mirabel!"

"My cousin Dolores can hear this whole chorus a mile away!"

"Mirabel!"

"Oh look, it's Mr. Mariano, hey, you can marry my sister if you wanna! Between you and me, she's kind of a prima donna. Yo, I've said too much and thank you but I really gotta go!"

"Mirabel!"

"My family's amazing!"

"Mirabel!"

"And I'm in my family, so—"

"Mirabel!"

"Well..."

"Mirabel!" Abuela's stern voice suddenly echoed out from Casita, where she stood in the doorway holding a flower vase, confusion written across her aged features like a well-worn book. "What...are you doing?"

Finally catching up to Mirabel, out of breath and panting heavily, you looked up and tensed. Despite the casual stance, there was always just something about Abuela that put you on edge. The intensity of her stare was enough to send you away to do something—anything—anywhere else but in her presence.

"Oh...they were just, y'know, asking about the family, and—"

"She was about to tell us about her super-awesome gift!"

Mirabel's eyes widened at the little girl's sudden proclamation, and you walked up to put a hand on your friend's shoulder. Your heart pounded, and you nervously chewed your bottom lip.

"Oh," Dolores chirped, coming in from behind Abuela, "Mirabel didn't get one." She let out a little squeak as she walked off, and Abuela carried on with what she was doing. You still couldn't really read her expression.

All heads turned to the Madrigal girl with furrowed brows and saddened eyes. Somehow, all you felt was guilt. You thought back to the mural...how you were shrouded in a bright, golden light, whereas Mirabel got the darker end of the deal. No lights, no rainbows, no gift.

"You didn't get a gift?" one of the little girls asked. You were about to cut in, hoping to lessen the tension a bit, until a wagon from town pulled up, and a man jumped off his donkey to grab a basket full of party favors from the back.

"Mirabel! Delivery!" he called. He walked up to Mirabel and handed her the basket, which she took with a light huff. Must have been heavy. "I gave you the special since you're the only Madrigal kid with no gift!"

You could almost feel the awkward tension rising in the air, and the looks from the surrounding children lingered. You were tempted to say something, maybe cut in for Mirabel...but then you remembered that there were small children at your feet, so you bit down on the inside of your cheek and kept quiet.

"Thanks," she muttered, smiling nervously.

"I call it the "'Not Special' Special" since, uh, you have no gift."

"We'll put it to very good use tonight, Señor," you chirped, forcing the words out through gritted teeth.

"Yeah. Let's just hope tonight goes well," he said. "Oh, and tell Antonio good luck! Last Gift Ceremony was a bummer. Last one being yours, that did not work!"

"Uh-huh."

The man nodded his head, and got back on his donkey. You frowned slightly as he rode away, and turned back to Mirabel and the kids at her feet. You bit the tip of your tongue to keep yourself from doing anything stupid—for instance, temporarily blinding the man. You decided against it.

Curse your morals.

"If I was you," one of the little girls told Mirabel, "I would be really sad." The other kids all nodded and agreed, looking up sadly at Mirabel. However, ever so graceful, she simply smiled at the girl, and swayed with the wind.

"Well, my little friend, I am not." She looked at you with a smile, and nudged your arm. You forced a small smile, but no doubt Mirabel didn't realize it wasn't as true as you wished it could be. "Because, gift or no gift, I am just as special as the rest of my family."

You wrapped your arm over Mirabel's shoulders and offered a smile. However, in looking forward at Casita, you noticed Luisa lifting a wagon over her head with a single hand, Isabela drowning the entire western exterior wall of Casita with pink carnations, and Pepa forming a dazzling rainbow in the sky over the house. Petals danced in the soft breeze, and you felt a bead of nervous sweat trickle down your brow. You forced another thin smile, glancing over at Mirabel.

"Maybe your gift is being...in denial...?"

You bid farewell to the children as Mirabel started her way back into the house, the large basket half-ways blocking her view. You jogged a bit to catch up to her, and as you followed her through the front door, you noticed a lot going on in the preparations for tonight.

Mirabel managed to bump into several people on her way to the kitchen, and you followed close behind, muttering apologies to anyone she bumped into.

"Do you need some help with that, Bel?" you offered, accidentally bumping arms into Luisa as she ran past.

"Careful, y/n/n!"

Mirabel turned to face you, her expression soft as she peeked through the gaps in favors.

"I've got it, Y/n... Why don't you go and help with all the others? I'm sure Abuela would appreciate it," she muttered, hiding behind a smile.

You looked at her worriedly, but agreed to go and help elsewhere. If Mirabel wanted to do something for herself, she was going to do it for herself. So, you figured the best way you could help her was to let her go.

"Sure thing, Bel. I'll see you tonight at the ceremony, okay?" Your friend nodded her head, and turned to make her way to the kitchen.

You gasped when Pepa came storming into the courtyard, quite literally. A miniature tornado encircled her, blowing away flowers and other loose things from around the room. People and decorations alike struggled to keep their footing. She was muttering things frantically to herself, and the sky above darkened drastically. Felix followed after her, desperately trying to get her to calm down.

"Pepa! You're tornado-ing the flowers! The flowers!"

Now, as part of your everyday duties, one of your jobs was to help calm Pepa down in times like this, and to restore sunny days after her storms. Breaking through her clouds was difficult, but after some years of practice, you've gotten quite used to it.

"Did someone say...flowers?"

As if on cue yet again, Isabela appeared from the second floor balcony like some kind of flower goddess (ego just as evident,) summoning vines from somewhere above to swing her across the room. Only to add to her melodramatic spectacle you'd restored the light, which was stained pink due to the abundance of new flowers following Isabela in her wake.

As if floating through the air, Little-Miss-Princess spun and twirled around in her vine swing, growing flowers anywhere she even looked. She landed effortlessly, as expected, and handed a bouquet to Pepa. The entire room erupted in scattered applause, and Pepa's storm ceased entirely. She smiled and thanked Isabela, and walked off again with Felix beside her. She seemed much calmer, thank God.

You walked past Mirabel and Isabela again on your way up the stairs, rolling your eyes the entire way up. You caught sight of Isabela flipping her hair over her shoulder, coincidentally slapping Mirabel in the face with it. You scoffed, and impulse control went out the window. You flashed a light directly in front of Isabel shouting a half-asses "Sorry Isa!" at her. The woman groaned in response, looking up at you with daggers in her eyes. Mirabel did poorly to hide her smirk. You just kept walking.

"Nice job, up there!"

The familiar voice of Camilo Madrigal rang through your ears, and you glanced up over the top of the steps to see the shape-shifter himself, leaning against the stairway railing before shifting into someone you didn't quite recognize. He held up the other end of a green banner that read 'Antonio' over the unmarked door. The man nailed the banner into the wall, passing the hammer and a nail to Camilo right as you ascended the last step, leaning against the rail where Camilo originally stood.

Not a moment later, the man was thanking his double with a firm handshake. Camilo mirrored him, before switching back to himself. When the man left, Camilo's gaze fell to you, and he smiled as he approached you, opening up his arms for an embrace. Naturally, you fell into it.

"Hola, Hermosa," he hummed into your ear, arms wrapped tight around your waist. Your arms were slung over his shoulders, and you gave a squeeze right as both of you fell away, but stood close together still.

"Hey Camilo." You let your face fall into a natural smile, and your eyes fell to the door behind him. Camilo followed your gaze, and his smile turned soft, and sincere.

"I really hope it goes well this time," you muttered, and stared down at your hands. Despite being surrounded by the beginning stages of a joyous celebration, you couldn't help but feel as though it wasn't all it could be. Despite the sun burning bright in the sky, there was an invisible cloud of nervous dread hanging over the heads of the family. Despite her smile, Mirabel was more nervous about this day than anyone else. Even Pepa. "Sometimes it works in really backwards ways."

Camilo didn't seem to understand, so he did the only thing he knew how to do: make people smile.

"Chin up, Hermosa," he grinned, wrapping an arm over your shoulder as he led you to stand in front of the door. "I'm betting Toñito's gift is going to be amazing."

You smiled, relishing the warmth of Camilo's arm around you. Even still...you couldn't help staring back down at your hands, turning them over as though you could find some kind of answer there.

"Why do you think it worked for me...but not for Mirabel?"

Something finally clicked in Camilo's mind, and he released you. He moved to stand in front of you, and cupped your face in his hands, guiding your eyes to look up at him.

"Hey, Y/n, look at me." You hesitated, but met the boy's eyes as he'd asked. They were a soft hazel-green color, and they bore into yours with such intensity you could melt.

"I just don't understand what happened, Camilo..."

"Neither do I." You were shocked at his answer...and the tone of his voice. It lacked his usual sense of lighthearted humor, and sarcasm. He sounded much more...genuine. "But Y/n...we really can't worry about what's happened in the past. What really matters is that you're here. Mirabel's healthy. What matters is that—"

"Y/n?"

Camilo instantly pulled his hands back to his sides, and you turned to see Dolores behind you with a raised, curious brow. She'd definitely heard everything that was said, but how long had she actually been standing there watching?

"Hola Dolores," you mumbled, waving meekly at the taller girl.

"Do you think you can set up some lights around the room? Abuela's been asking Mami where you were so you could." Nodding, you looked around the room at all the available spaces between Isabela's obnoxiously pink flowers.

"Sí, of course." Dolores nodded her head once, humming a familiar tune as she ascended the remaining steps, and walked into her room.

"I don't think I can help you very well with your job," Camilo chuckled, "but do you want some company while you work? I'm not doing anything."

"Of course," you smiled, offering him your hand. He took it eagerly, and you dragged him along as you ran down the hall, hand reaching out towards the wall. A trail of shimmering, golden lights ran across the wall with you, all the way around. You laughed all the way down, and Camilo, though you couldn't see it, looked at you as though you were in the midst of hanging the moon and stars themselves.

When you got back to the stairs, you released Camilo's hand and jumped, sliding down the ramp Casita created for you. Both hands flew straight out to either side, creating two sets of glowing lights floating down the stairway railing. At the bottom you jumped up again, spinning as lights erupted on each column, and floated in the air like fireflies above everyone's heads. Camilo only saw them as a second layer of stars, and slid down the ramp to join you.

"Es perfecto, y/n/n," he told you, replacing his arm over your shoulders as the two of you stood in the center of the courtyard, staring up at the sky in awe. You were panting slightly and out of breath, but the sight made it all worth it.

I'm an effort to add in some final little touches, you decided to let loose some simple floating flickers of light, similar to fireflies, or the magic surrounding the miracle candle. Several people stopped what they were doing to admire the light show you'd created, and though none of them cheered for you as they had for Isabela, the look of awe, wonder, and amazement meant far more. From the corner of your eye you could see Isabela scowling up at the display, and rolling her eyes at you before she huffed off. You smirked at the little victory, and returned your gaze upward.

Scanning the room for familiar faces, you managed to catch sight of several family members looking up at the sky. Even if the sun was still up, the lights far outshone it. Luisa, for the first time all day, stopped. Pepa and Félix were in awe. Even Abuela looked pleased, her hands folded in front of her. She found you amongst the crowd, and nodded her head in praise. You smiled thinly, and pulled Camilo along as you made your way back up the stairs, a chill running down your spine.

For the next ten minutes, Camilo accompanied you in wandering around Casita, avoiding having to clean your room as Abuela had told everyone else to do. Unfortunately, Abuela eventually did catch you, and the next half hour after that was spent cleaning your room. Somehow, by some unspoken miracle of itself, Camilo's room was already spotless, so he decided he would help you clean yours.

Your room, not unlike any of the others', was tailored specifically to you, and your gift. Since your gift was the manipulation of light, your room saw it fit to provide you with a comfortable natural space, where you could control the day and night setting. It was also limited on the reflective surfaces, and the curtains over your window magically changed to fit the atmosphere in the room, keeping in the heat, or expelling it to your liking. Lanterns floated above your bedroom, and around the natural setting of the room. You could control those too, and you often left them there to twinkle and shimmer, regardless of the sky setting.

The natural setting of your room looked almost like a park, with trees, bushes, benches, and a pond swarming with various fish. A babbling brook trailed from this pond outward into areas past the tree, creating a symphony of calm waters. Strings of dimmable lights hung from the branches of the trees, and fireflies often fluttered about when you set the room to darkness. Soft grass carpeted the floor, and cobblestone paths led from your bedroom to the river, and across the river to a gazebo overrun with ivy, which housed a tea table and metal garden chairs. Various flowers grew around the gazebo, and painted the natural setting in an array of brilliant, vibrant colors. Isabela didn't even have to touch anything for them to look well cared for, which you did every day. Songbirds were also housed in little birdhouses throughout the tree, and butterflies speckled the flowers. A hummingbird zipped past your face just as you turned to see Camilo sitting on a bench by the tree, and you couldn't help but admire how he looked sitting there, relaxed, illuminated by the twinkling lights above him.

"I've always liked your room, you know." Folding an extra blanket back into your dresser, you looked over at the boy and shrugged, not bothering to hide your smile.

"Thanks. I've always found it pretty peaceful." Camilo nodded, following the flight pattern of a yellow butterfly fluttering around him.

"You think so?" You shut the drawer of your dresser just as a fish splashed in the river, and turned to make your way to the bench opposite of Camilo.

"Yeah. Don't you?"

The boy shrugged, getting up. You wondered what he was doing, until he made his way over to you. He sat himself down right next to you, leaning back, and looked straight up. His chocolate-colored curls fell away from his face, and you had to resist the urge to brush that one little curl from his forehead that, for some reason, enjoyed taunting you.

"It's so quiet," he admitted, folding his arms loosely over his chest. You shrugged, finding it hard to disagree with him.

"Yeah, maybe...but not always. Sometimes those songbirds won't let me sleep at night. They like waking me up at the crack of dawn. Or earlier."

"Don't you control the daylight here, though?"

You sat back, letting out a sigh through your nose.

"Doesn't matter. They're animals. They always seem to just...know." Camilo chuckled, but you just lifted your arms and went on. "Doesn't matter if I set the sky to a pitch-black sea of darkness, or to the brightness of a sunny, cloudless afternoon. They still won't let up!"

Camilo doubled over in laughter at the distressed look on your face, and you couldn't really help but join him.

"That bad? I find it hard to believe that a few birds would be so disruptive."

Your eyes drifted over to the boy next to you, and if there was ever a time which you'd wished you had kept your mouth shut, it was now.

"Maybe you should come by tonight and see for yourself, if you don't believe me."

A bright shade of red washed over Camilo's cheeks, and your own face felt as though your blood had been replaced by fire. A lantern floating somewhere above you suddenly popped, and small, broken fragments of light kept exploding until nothing but a powder fell over your heads, drowning both of you in golden sparkles.

You'd never, not once, invited Camilo to your room at night. Even when you were younger, the only ones who'd ever stayed in your room before were Mirabel, Luisa, and Dolores.

"I, uh...didn't mean it that way."

At first, you'd thought Camilo would have done something—anything—to convince you that he didn't want to continue the conversation, maybe come up with an excuse to leave, but what he did both shocked and surprised you.

"What time?"

This time, several lanterns popped above you, and some songbirds screeched in fear as they flew away from you and your tiny exploding suns. Silence stretched on for several seconds before a sudden knock sounded at your door, and every light particle surrounding you froze in place.

"¡Está abierta!" you shouted, turning your face away from Camilo. You didn't see, but Camilo's face had heated to such a bright shade of red that he had to shapeshift it away.

You weren't sure who you were expecting at the door, but when you saw Pepa's head peeking in through the crack, you stood to go and meet her.

"Hola Mami," Camilo greeted, walking up behind you.

You half expected Pepa to come in stressed or distressed, and upon being met with such a standard, your mind immediately swam with anxiety. A storm coming through your room was far from desirable.

"Something wrong, Pepa?" The woman looked for a moment between you and Camilo, but sighed and refocused her attention to whatever was bothering her.

"Oyé, have either of you seen Antonio? I can't find him anywhere!" A cloud brewed above Pepa's head as she talked, and began to thunder.

"Lo siento Pepa, but I haven't. Have you tried the nursery?"

Pepa's cloud darkened, and unbeknownst to you, the light particles surrounding you started buzzing, brightening in nervous pulses.

Camilo, following close behind you, noticed the lights around you pulsating like a heartbeat, getting faster and faster with each beat. He reached out and took your hand in his, stroking it with his thumb. Something in you softened at the touch, and your eyes drifted down to your hand, gripped firmly in his. The heat dissipated into a cool numbness, and you exhaled softly. Even Pepa's cloud lightened, just barely, and she looked between the two of you.

"We can help look," Camilo told his mother, who nodded.

"Yes, that's a good idea." She then quickly backed out of the doorway, and you could hear footsteps down the hall. You could faintly hear Abuela's voice out there, and then a clap of thunder, followed by an exasperated, frustrated Pepa.

"I know Mama, but now I can't find Antonio!" she shouted. "What do you want from me?" Another clap of thunder followed her as she stormed off, and you looked sideways at Camilo. His soft gaze mirrored back at you, and he smiled.

His soft gaze mirrored back at you, and he smiled

"You alright, Hermosa?"

Grinning at the nickname, you squeezed Camilo's hand and made your way to your bedroom door with him in tow. When you got close, you stopped, and released Camilo's hand. You turned your head to look at him, and was met with a confused smile.

"Y/n?"

Smiling, you stepped up closer to Camilo and wrapped your arms around his torso, burying your face into his neck. The boy's curls tickled your face, but you didn't care. Especially when you felt Camilo's arms snake their way around you, and he nuzzled his nose into your hair. You could feel his breath on your ear, and for the first time that day, you'd actually felt relaxed.

"I'm betting he's hiding somewhere in the nursery," you murmured, picturing the young boy tucked away under the bed, or something.

Camilo's grip on you unexpectedly tightened when you tried to pull away, and there was such a foreign vulnerability in his voice that you'd never heard before. Part of you hated hearing him so unlike himself, so quiet as opposed to his usual sense of humor and warmth...but then another, larger part of you, was pulled into the softness and the quiet desperation there. It made you feel sorta special, in a way.

"Don't leave yet," he pleaded, his forehead now resting against the side of your head. "I don't want to let go."

You didn't move. Instead, you let out a quiet little sigh, and eased into his embrace. You smiled against his ruana, and he buried his face into yours.

You weren't sure how long the two of you were there, holding one another up, but even for as long as it was, it never could have been enough. Even though it was meant to only be a short, friendly embrace, you were drowning in the bliss of his arms around you. You weren't even sure who was holding who up, or who was doing it for who. You'd figured Camilo was just as nervous as anyone else in his family, with the lingering threat hanging over his head that the ceremony might not even work.

Whatever the case, this was something you'd be left to think about tonight, at Toñito's Gifting Ceremony. Then, whatever happened afterwards... Well.

You would just have to wonder if Camilo was serious about spending the night in your room to hear songbirds at two in the morning.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.2K 1.4K 11
The story is finished I just stopped doing the one shots :) β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’ After your father, died your...
207K 4.9K 32
❝ I just plan on getting to know you better ❞ ❝ If you let me at least ❞ IN WHICH 𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐚 𝐝𝐞 π₯𝐨𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞π₯𝐞𝐬 and her family comes to encanto...
120K 4.6K 50
"Please, tell me why, Silent movies always make me cry." "You've always been supporting us in silence and nobody noticed. You've been struggling in s...
66.3K 1.4K 25
Camilo madrigal x female!reader (Y/n) and her family moved with their grandparents in Encanto, in which our protagonist will face a lot of events whi...