The Lonely Warrior Queen

By LavenderHamsa

It all started when Princess Catheline married the dangerously attractive and recently crowned King of Anthre... More

{Chapter 1}
{Chapter 2}
{Chapter 3}
{Chapter 4}
{Chapter 5}
{Chapter 6}
{Chapter 7}
{Chapter 8}
{Chapter 9}
{Chapter 10}
{Chapter 11}
{Chapter 12}
{Chapter 13}
{Chapter 14}
{Chapter 15}
{Chapter 16}
{Chapter 18}
{Chapter 19}
{Chapter 20}
{Chapter 21}
{Chapter 22}
{Chapter 23}
{Chapter 24}
{Chapter 25}
{Chapter 26}
{Chapter 27}
{Chapter 28}
{Chapter 29}
{Chapter 30}
{Chapter 31}
{Chapter 32}
{Chapter 33}
{Chapter 34}
{Chapter 35}
{Chapter 36}
{Chapter 37}
{Chapter 38}
{Chapter 39}
{Chapter 40}
{Chapter 41}
{Chapter 42}
{Chapter 43}
{Chapter 44}
{Chapter 45}
{Chapter 46}
{Chapter 47}
{Chapter 48}
{Chapter 49}
{Chapter 50}
{Chapter 51}
{Chapter 52}
{Chapter 53}
{Chapter 54}
{Chapter 55}
{Chapter 56}
{Chapter 57}
{Chapter 58}
{Chapter 59}
{Chapter 60}
{Chapter 61}
{Chapter 62}
{Chapter 63}
{Chapter 64}
{Chapter 65}
{Chapter 66}
{Chapter 67}
{Chapter 68}
{Chapter 69}
{Chapter 70}
{Chapter 71}
{Chapter 72}
{Chapter 73}
{Chapter 74}
{Chapter 75}
{Chapter 76}
{Chapter 77}
{Chapter 78}
{Chapter 79}
{Chapter 80}
{Chapter 81}
{Chapter 82}
{Chapter 83}
{Chapter 84}
{Chapter 85}
{Chapter 86}
{Chapter 87}
{Chapter 88}
{Chapter 89}
{Chapter 90}
{Chapter 91}
{Chapter 92}
{Chapter 93}
{Chapter 94}
{Chapter 95}
{Chapter 96}
{Chapter 97}
{Chapter 98}
{Chapter 99}
{Chapter 100}
{Chapter 101}
{Chapter 102}
{Chapter 103}
{Chapter 104}
{Chapter 105}
{Chapter 106}
{Chapter 107}
{Chapter 108}
{Chapter 109}
{Chapter 110}
{Chapter 111}
{Chapter 112}
{Chapter 113}
{Chapter 114}
{Chapter 115}
{Chapter 116}
{Chapter 117}
{Epilogue I}
{Epilogue II}
ו My Review •×
!NEW STORY!
×Swords and Schemes×

{Chapter 17}

5.9K 223 8
By LavenderHamsa

Xander's POV:

"You all might be wondering why I summoned you so early," I stated.

I conducted a council meeting with all the Dukes and Ministers to discuss what I found. Some might say that it is too soon but it had to be held.

"Your Majesty, we have to talk about Duke Sunster," one of the ministers, Sunfrey, told me.

"I rather not mention him. Just couldn't believe that he had been a traitor," another Duke replied anxiously.

Fredrick Vernet, was currently the youngest member of the council due to his father passing away. He must be the same age as Nathaniel. I gazed at him with interest.

"Tell me, Duke Vernet, what do you think about this?" I asked him.

This was to test him on whether he could be ideological and wistful. Since he didn't serve my father, there could be hope for him as he was in the same generation as me.

Frederick Vernet looked at me with panic. But quickly regained his composure.

"I think it's rather absurd, My King. Coming to think of it, Duke Sunster had been loyal to the previous King. My father had always talked greatly about him. If he was a traitor, think of how many are present," he said calmly.

I mentally approved of him. He looks like a weakling but has good speaking abilities. I looked at the others and they all seemed to listen intently. I found no one suspicious so far.

"What do you all think of his statement?" I asked them.

They all fell quiet and some were looking anxious. Now, it's the perfect time to pull the ace.

"I have found some interesting pieces of information from someone recently. It is very shocking and I couldn't believe it." I told them with a calm voice.

All the officials present there looked at me.

"What is it that worries you, Your Majesty?" Duke Vernet inquired.

I sighed ominously.

"Well, I have an inquiry about my father. Most of you have served him and know more about him. So tell me, did he have a half-brother?" I said it out calmly.

The entire room fell silent. Some people quivered in shock as if they knew something.

"I have received such information from someone. This is such shocking news to hear. How come I have never known about it?" I asked them all.

The whole room fell silent. I was hoping for some sort of reaction or an explanation. But this was a test that could decide the good from the bad. I almost gave up before someone voiced their thoughts.

"Your Majesty...most of us do know about him. But it was through rumors and gossip. Your father had never mentioned him in front of us and hence, we do not know much about him," an elderly Duke, Daven, reported.

"Then why was I not informed of it?"

The old man sighed as if the matter was intricate.

"He left before long ago, Your Majesty. Who knew he would show up with this evil motive of trying to harm you?" He replied calmly.

I gathered whatever information I had just heard in my mind. Duke Daven was a man who I have no idea about his personality or loyalty. All I knew was that he served my grandfather and my father. He is the oldest member of this council.

"Elest Simion was-"

That was the sentence I had been waiting for. I quickly looked up at the man who had said that. He was Duke Esther, a man whom also I have no idea about.

"Oh my. Lord Esther, what have you said?" Duke Vernet quickly asked him with a smile.

The man looked at me and him, startled.

"No- I have not-"

"Lord Esther, we know that Elest Simion is the man who has been troubling us for the past few weeks. He made several attempts to assassinate the King. Why are you talking of such a vile man when we are talking of the late king's half-brother?" Duke Vernet went on.

The more I listened to him, the more I admired his talent. Duke Esther was confused and furious. At this moment, I knew I had the lead.

"Why are you not answering the question, My Lord?" Nathaniel, who had been quiet this whole time, voiced out loudly.

"Well- I-"

"Perhaps...you know something...treasonous?" Duke Vernet scrutinized him.

Duke Esther banged his fists on the table angrily. "What are you trying to implicate me of, boy!?"

"Why are you so startled, Lord Esther? I was merely implying that you knew some useful information," Fredrick Vernet replied calmly.

"Enough." I stopped them. "Elest Simion was my father's half-brother. He is attempting to seize the throne,"

Everyone was shocked. Lord Esther had a complete deterioration inscribed on his face. He silently fell back to his seat. To me, he is the most suspicious. Since I have no evidence and can't arrest him yet.

"Here is my decree. No one is allowed to enter or exit Anthreal without my permission. There shall be guards near the entrance of the country. Anyone suspicious shall be arrested and interrogated,"

"Your Majesty, I have a suggestion that could be useful," Duke Daven let out.

I nodded, permitting him to voice out his thoughts.

"We should heavily guard the nearby forests since they do not have a proper border,"

"Good. I shall also authorize that. I warn you all to be careful and safe. The council is dismissed." I asserted.

Everyone nodded in agreement. Duke Vernet looked at me with concern.

"Have you thought of an incoming war, your Majesty?" He asked me with dismay.

I gave his words some thoughtful consideration. If this altercation leads to war, then I might have to take steps to protect the kingdom from now on.

"We do not know what will happen in the future but should be prepared for it. No matter what, I am not allowing such a man to expropriate the throne. If I ever face him, he is mine to kill." I said, the sudden urge of anger running through my head.

Duke Vernet nodded. For a moment, there was silence in the room. The thought of war plagued my mind deeply. Would my father be proud if I sacrificed lives for this cause? Whatever I had to do, I had to make sure that a diddoes not occur. This must be a battle between two men only.

In which, one must die.
____________________________________

Catheline's POV:

The royal library was one of my favorite places in this castle. It provides the much-needed silence and peace one wants. But this calmness was killing me today.

I was reading the history of Anthreal when I came across the page that interested me. It was said that this kingdom was famous for tourneys and formal gatherings. The scratches of old writings speak that a year would not pass by without any celebration. But...why is everything so different now?

During my year, there was not even a hint of any celebration of any event. Even the King's birthday went by quietly.

In my homeland, there was just so much cheer and joy around. Every other day, there was some event or competition that always kept me on my heels. Though I was not allowed to participate in any tourneys, I was allowed to watch them. During those days, I remember how I would receive so many flowers from the competitors.

I sighed, shaking away those memories. That was Peliasse, my old home. This was my new home and I had to act accordingly. I would not like to upset Xander further with my silly ideas. He must have his reasons for the quietness of this castle.

Someone knocked on the door, pulling my attention from my distracting thoughts.

"Come in," I shouted.

I looked around to find Karra opening the door quietly. She had a look of joy as she swept toward me.

"Your Grace, I made a new batch of snacks," she whispered. "Would you like to have a try of them later?"

I shook my head and looked at the silly girl. "I would love to. After all, you make them the best,"

She made a small clapping gesture and bowed to take her permission to leave. But I held her skirt and made her stay.

"Tell me, why is this castle always so devoid of any celebration?"

At that, Karra's face fell and she looked at her feet. "Well...I do not much, Your Grace, but I heard from others that the castle is still in mourning,"

"Mourning?"

"For the late King and Queen," she replied sadly.

It hit me. It had been eighteen years since Xander's parents passed. He must miss them. Is that why he is always quiet and miserable? Then...he would have been devastated if I had told him the complete truth about what happened to his parents.

I shook my head and made up a resolution. From now on, I would take care of him. He is my husband by law and I would try my best to bring back happiness to his face.

Even if I had lost my mother, I do not remember her as she died two years after giving birth to me. I could still see the devastation on my father's face. He never recovered after losing her.

"I want to clear my mind," I stood up and shut the book close. "Is the King free now?..."

"I suppose not yet, Your Grace," Karra replied.

I nodded quietly and we made our way out of the royal library. As I walked through the hallways, I realized just how much importance I had in life. I was no longer the foolish girl who wanted to return home. I was the Queen of this kingdom and it was about time I do my duties.

I must support Xander in his concerns, both as his Queen and through Lady Cassandra. I wanted to know more about him. I wanted to know who he truly was behind his facade.

I should be more mature in my consideration. The windows were illuminated by the afternoon sun by now. I walked ahead and watched the garden, which was quiet and serene. The bees were humming and I spotted many butterflies roaming around the flowers.

"Your Grace!" I heard the furious whisper of my maid.

"What?---" I turned to her but she was pointing at someone behind me.

I turned around to find that Xander was watching me in a trance. As soon as I saw him, he averted his eyes away. He was alone and looked a little tired.

"Leave us," I told Karra, who nodded and almost ran away from her place.

I took a deep breath before walking forward. No matter what I told myself, my heart would not calm down. When I was near him, I greeted him with a smile.

"I hope the council gathering was fine," I said, trying to start casually.

He studied me for a long time and looked doubtful as to why I was so happy. At last, he sighed and turned to the large window to face the garden.

"It was fine," he replied calmly.

I was disappointed by his small talk, but I motivated myself to keep speaking.

"How was it?..." I asked quietly. "Did anything happen---"

"We need to talk,"

I blinked and smiled nervously. "We are talking now, right?"

He turned me to and watched me seriously. "Catheline,"

I was starting to feel afraid of what he might say. I made up with so many expectations of how he would react but this...this was not one of them.

"What do you want to talk about?" I questioned, trying to be brave.

At this, his expression changed. He seemed so confident to speak his opinion. But the moment I asked him to say it, he seemed clueless.

"I am talking about...about last night," he said, turning away from me.

I bit my lip to avoid smiling at the mention of last night. He sounded so serious about it. He remained silent, which urged me to initiate speaking.

"I was quite upset that you left," I said in a slow voice.

He turned around to see my reaction but I went closer to him. He seemed stunned by this move but did not back up.

"Forget it,"

His voice was cold and yet so calm. I looked up to see the same eyes I saw last night. They seemed nothing but distant. I played with my fingers nervously and looked away.

"What do you mean forget it?..." I asked him, not bothering to hide my disappointment. "You were so---"

"Forget what happened last night, Catheline, it was a mistake," he repeated coldly. "You know I was drunk. Whatever I did or said last night...either bad or good, please forget them,"

I looked up, feeling my patience running out. He was making me angry now. He was much nicer when he was drunk out of his mind.

"How can I forget it just like that?" I asked him boldly. "You just deny what you did? What we had done together?"

"Drunken words are worthless," he came closer and said calmly. "I never meant for last night to happen. Know that this will not repeat,"

His harsh words were breaking my heart. I could not even speak a word against him. I wanted to fight for us so bad and him? He wants to forget what happened.

"I am sorry, Catheline. But...it will be better if we both forget it," I heard him say.

"I will not forget it," I replied firmly, looking at him. My eyes were already starting to tear up. "I will remember what you told me last night. You assured me something and I will see to it that it comes real,"

He seemed to have something else to say but gave up. He sighed and looked at the garden once more.

"If that is your wish..." he asserted. "Be it. But remember, I am incapable of loving anyone,"

With that, he turned around and left me there. As soon as he was out of sight, my tears became uncontrollable. How could he do this to me?...

All I wanted was for him to be happy.
____________________________________

Author's note:

Here is your weekly update 😁

I know the story is going at a slow pace but things will get much spicier, trust me.

Thank you so much for reading this chapter and please vote and comment your with thoughts! 🤔

Also, this chapter is edited.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 3 47
I have always been a hopeless romantic, always daydreaming of my prince charming to come, sweep me off my feet and we would ride off into the sunset...
36K 2.6K 34
2023 December Book of the Month @CupidOnTour @WattpadSeries General Fiction Feature JUNE 2023 @HistoricalFiction 'Rise of Civilization' Reading List...
817K 43.2K 58
Book of Aarna and Dhruv(Arranged Marriage Series #2) She is an extrovert He is an introvert. she is full of words. He is a man of few words. She is c...
4M 124K 58
*COMPLETED* BOOK 1 of the BLOOD MOON PACK SERIES #1 Packs 26/01/2021 #1 Emotions 27/09/2019 #1 Sacrifice 25/10/2019 Elizabeth Crow was only a young p...