Queen of Midnight

By ak_lloyd

"You can't tell anyone." His words hit me hard, but I was ready for them. I grimaced slightly, but did my bes... More

About
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty One.
Chapter Twenty Two.
Author's Note.

Chapter Seventeen.

170 8 7
By ak_lloyd

I wasn't out for very long; my eyes blinked clumsily as I tried to take control of my limbs, but I was being held in a way that made it very difficult. I felt my body jostling, which told me I was being carried and we were walking, but apart from that, I didn't know what else was going on. I couldn't see; my face was pressed up against an arm, and I had to pull my head back to try and capture a breath. The walking stopped, and I was suddenly placed on the floor. I grunted, my teeth beginning to chatter as I was able to open my eyes again. I peered up, seeing a piercing blue eye staring down at me, paired next to a white eyeball that saw nothing.

"I'm cold," I chattered, struggling to sit up. Terk knelt down next to me, a hand behind my back as he helped me up.

"You're burning up," he told me, a hand pressing against my forehead. My teeth chattered again.

"I'm- I'm cold hot," I explained, blinking heavily as I looked down. Blood was staining the snow around where I was sitting; lots and lots of blood.

"Can you tell me where James is? Is he close? What way is he?"

I looked around, feeling my brain beginning to focus on Terk's words. James. My mind sharpened, and I nodded, wincing as I tried to turn my head slightly. I felt a light, airless feeling grace my lungs as I looked slightly to the right, and I felt the feeling expand. I lifted my hand shakily, pointing through the trees. My eyes flickered down to my hand, and I frowned as I remembered I was missing a finger.

"He's coming," I said quietly as Terk went to pick me up. "He's not far. You could probably see him if you walked past that rock."

He hesitated, then got up and jogged over to the rock I was referring to. My heart sang as I realized James was here; soon, I would be in his arms, and everything would be okay. Suddenly, my wounds didn't seem so painful; I felt as though I could fly.

"James!" Terk shouted, and I lifted my head again as Terk slowed to a stop, and held his arms out. I saw him, in that moment as the men embraced, and a lazy smile found its way to my mouth.

"Where is she?" I heard him say. It was a matter of seconds before he was kneeling in front of me, and his scent overwhelmed my nose. I was finally home, and safe.

"Fuck me," he whispered, eyes wide as he took in my state. I frowned at him.

"Maybe later," I replied, and Terk choked on a laugh. James, however, was looking at me as though I had grown a third eye.

"Are you okay? What-"

"I'm okay," I murmured, leaning forward until my forehead was pressing against his chest. I closed my eyes, breathing in deeply, and a sense of calm washed over me. "Just a little sore."

"A little sore?" he snapped, holding my shoulders and leaning back so he could get a good look at me again. "Rhea, you're practically bleeding to death! What the fuck did he do to you? And how did you get out?"

"I snatched the gemstone and we got out in the confusion," I explained as Terk came to crouch down next to us. I gave him a sad smile. "He wasn't gentle with us, but we're okay."

"I've healed from most of my injuries," Terk said quietly, his eyes flickering down to my body. "He was a little harsher with Rhea."

"He wanted to know about the gemstone. I didn't tell him what he wanted to know, and he got angry."

"I'm going to fucking bury him alive," James scowled, and it was only then I noticed his eyes were glassy. "Look at what he's done to you." He lifted my hands gently, his eyes trailing down my arms and to my leg. His eyes hardened and his jaw clenched.

"You'll be happy to hear what I did to him," I murmured, glancing at Terk as I said it. He raised an eyebrow.

"I'll say," he muttered. "The guy was cooking like a smoked pig when we escaped."

"I stole the gemstone," I explained sheepishly. "Scorched him. Don't think he's dead, but it meant we got out of there."

"I'm so glad you're home," James sighed, wrapping his arms around me gently. "I can't explain how worried I've been. I thought we lost you for good."

"At least I had Terk; if I was alone, I'm not sure I would've gotten out."

"We did good," Terk acknowledged with a small smile, then gestured back through the trees. "Should we get moving? We've been walking for ages, but I don't want to risk anything."

We murmured our agreements, and James bent down to pick me up and cradle me in his arms as we made our slow trek back to the rest of the pack.

"Thank you for being there for her," James murmured finally, and Terk shot him a quick look.

"It's fine," he replied, his voice gruff. "Just following orders."

"Stop being such a statue," James scoffed. "You protected her like she was your own mate, your own family. You were there for her when I wasn't. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you."

I smiled into James' chest. "He thought he was gonna be in trouble with you," I said, my voice muffled.

"You did?"

"Well, you did scare the fuck out of Violet last time," Terk grumbled.

"He overreacted."

"I'll say."

"Will you just take my appreciation and shut the fuck up, please?" James snapped. I stifled a laugh, and Terk just shook his head. But I could see the ghost of a smile on his lips out the corner of my eye, and it made me smile too.

"I'm so happy to see you."

James smiled down at me, but it was faint; he was distracted. I let out a heavy breath of air and closed my eyes.

"I'm okay, James," I assured him. "I mean it. You can stop worrying."

"I can't," he muttered. "As long as he's still out there, you are never going to be safe. And I'm always going to worry. From now on, you're not leaving my sight. Ever."

"Perfect," I said dreamily. "That's the best news I've heard all week."

He scoffed at me. "I should hope so."

We made it back to the safe borders of the pack's village in one piece; it was hard to avoid people, as everyone was out and about, bustling nervously as they awaited news. But when they saw us, it went quiet. They could sense it wasn't the time to celebrate; it might've had something to do with the amount of blood that covered myself and Terk, but everyone was silent as we made our way through the pack towards the castle.

"You need to wash up and get some rest," James told me once we made it in safely, and he had taken me in to our bedroom. "I've got someone bringing the doctor in here for you, but I'm not going anywhere."

"What about Terk? Where is he?"

"He's across the hall. The doctor's gonna stop in there to check on him, too."

"Good." He set me down on my shaky feet in the bathroom, making sure I wasn't going to fall over before he got the bath running. I took my time in stripping my clothes off and discarding them in the corner of the room, and climbed into the steaming tub once it was full enough. I closed my eyes as the warmth enveloped me, and sank down to my neck. I could feel most of my cuts stinging at the touch of hot water, but the rest of me felt so much better I was able to ignore it.

"Lean forward."

I did as my mate asked, tucking my knees up to my chest with a wince as I leant forward. He gently washed my back, pouring water down from my neck with a little wooden cup. I tried to avoid looking at my hand with the missing finger, feeling myself get agitated whenever I caught myself looking at it. Everything Anthony did to me would heal, but I would never grow this finger back. Or my toes.

"Your stress is stressing me out," James murmured, and I stifled a little laugh as I dropped my face down between my knees.

"Sorry. I'm trying."

"Try harder."

My smile broadened as I lifted my head and leaned it back so he could pour another cup through my hair.

When I was all washed up, James helped me climb gently out of the rub and wrapped me in a warm blanket before he led me back into the bedroom. He helped me into some soft, comfortable clothes and guided me to the bed, all without a single word. I climbed in under the covers, and he joined me, waiting until I found a position that I was comfortable in before he nuzzled in next to me, wrapping his arms protectively around my body.

"I love you," he murmured into my hair, pressing a soft kiss on my head.

"I love you too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

514K 16.7K 31
Natalie was raised in a world where there is nothing more sacred than the mate bond. She lived with that belief all of her life, but when one of her...
102K 4.3K 79
***Please read my message on November 12, 2019 (if you can) for enlightenment purposes*** "Who are you?" A certain Luna asked. "Tell me, why do I fe...
12.8M 452K 40
What if mates didn't exist? Instead, werewolves chose who they wanted to be mated to for the rest of their lives during a short period of time once a...
6.1M 211K 61
HIGHEST RANK: #4 as of 3/8/17 *PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION, THIS BOOK WAS WRITTEN WHEN I WAS 16 YEARS OLD, THIS BOOK IS NOT PERFECT BY ANY MEA...