Outliers [L.S]

By louisrrry

"Louis, let me be open with you," he mutters softly. My brain was pounding with warnings. I knew deep down t... More

Prologue*
1*
2*
3*
4*
5*
6*
7
8*
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18*
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
40

39

155 5 8
By louisrrry

READ A/N AND THE BOOK TRAILER IS ON MY TWITTER UNDER THE SAME USER AS MINE ON HERE

Louis' pov:

It was later in the night. The four of us were strolling through downtown London. A milkshake was clutched in my hands, the cold slightly numbing my fingertips. To the right of me, Liam was laughing loudly. Niall smiled from the reaction. I hadn't heard Niall's joke, and I felt slightly left out and stupid for being distracted by my milkshake.

"God my arms are numb from carrying these bags," Harry grumbles. I turn to him with a smirk. I knew that making him carry my bags was rude, but I had no intention in stopping him. I shrugged, taking another sip from my milkshake before speaking.

"I could carry them," I commented, giving Harry a side glance.

"No, it's fine but I just wish we didn't park so far away," he insisted, shifting the bag handles in his hands.

"I wanted to see the lights at night."

Harry laughs lightly. "I know you did," he trails off, looking over at Niall and Liam. "I didn't expect them to get on so well," he comments.

I follow his gaze. I felt a little sad over Niall finding a new friend so easily, but I knew he still cared about me the same as he did before. It was selfish of me anyway, to think like that. I shouldn't want him to only be friends with me. My smile drops the smallest bit before I answer.

"Yeah, I know. I'm surprised another human other than me can handle Niall."

Harry hums in agreement.

Our walk to Harry's car was slow. I took as many chances I could to stop to take pictures of the city lights. Even some pictures of Harry when he wasn't paying attention. At one point, Niall had insisted on a group selfie. I hadn't wanted it, seeing as I hate selfies but when I looked at the picture in my camera roll now it had made me warm inside. I had something to look back at, and I wouldn't have to soak in the moment as much as I was trying to.

I was scared, though. My life was seeming way to normal after all the chaos that had occurred. I knew that there was still danger out there for us, and that thought alone was stopping me from living in the moment like I should. I wished that there wasn't a reason for me to be scared. But I know, we'll get through it, and that helped a little.

I guess I also hated how everyone was pretending like it hadn't happened. Two attacks on the Harry styles? Unheard of. Harry always took out his enemy before they had the chance. Part of the reason why I think they snuck their way past him is that so many of his close friends died in that house fire. Niall only knew so much about Harry, seeing as Harry didn't fully trust him yet with full reasoning. But if Harry did, then we would have Niall's brains. I just wished it was easier for Harry to trust people but I understood the reason why he didn't.

Liam bursts out laughing, Harry's soft chuckle following. I glance up from the concrete sidewalk, spotting them many paces away. I take a sip from my shake, quickening my pace. I hated how I always seemed to be sucked out of reality from my rambling mind.

But, what I saw has concerned me. His veins had turned black. I had no clue how. Did the guy over the phone click a button? I didn't see the guy slip anything into his mouth. Even if he had, there was no drug in existence to have turned his blood black like that. I knew it was bad, when Niall had been left confused.

Harry's black Volvo came into view as we turned a corner around a large building. The car lights blinked on, and when I turned to Harry I was surprised to see him juggling my few bags in one hand while using his keys with the other. His hair hung in front of him like a curtain, and suddenly I wanted nothing more but to tangle my hands in its softness. But I resisted the urge, by turning back towards the car, and opening the passenger door. Ignoring how my chest felt warm and bubbly.

Niall was the first to climb into the back, immediately resting his chin on my seat for his face was only inches from mine. I didn't know he had a tendency to do that until today. No matter how many times I told him not to, he wouldn't listen.

"Niall!"

"What," he whines, his voice ringing right into my left ear.

"Move the fuck back," I grumble, turning on him, and shoving him by his shoulder. He rolls his eyes, slumping in his leather seat.

"I feel left out back here," he whines, tossing his head to look out the window.

"Talk to Liam," I shoot, looking away from him and out the windshield.

"But I want to talk to all of you!"

"We can hear you just fine where you are now," I point out, glaring at him over my shoulder. He rolls his eyes once again, but immediately smiles when Liam slides into the back.

"My buddy," he exclaims as if he hadn't seen him just a few seconds ago. "Talk to me! I'm already bored and Louis is being pissy.."

"Actually," I spit. "I just don't like you leaning on my seat." Liam sheepishly buckles himself in, obviously uncomfortable with the particular conversation.

Niall doesn't answer, and a few seconds later Harry is climbing into the driver's seat, slamming his door shut aggressively.

"Don't lean on his seat, Niall," Harry grumbles, turning the car keys, waking the engine to a slow purr.

"Why does it matter!"

"It matters because I don't enjoy someone breathing down my neck," I bark. Harry shakes his head with a small smile, obviously finding this pointless but also very point full argument humorous.

I glare at him, seeing him as a perfect candidate to take my annoyance out on, but I bite my tongue, choking the words back. I strapped my belt over my shoulder, shrugging until it was comfortable. I stared down at my melted milkshake, watching the pink liquid ripple as Harry turned onto the road, accelerating until 50. The London lights disappear behind us, stealing a fraction of my happiness with it.

"Carpool karaoke," Niall mutters sheepishly. My eyes squeeze shut, as I realize how annoyed I am with him. I don't understand why I was feeling this way but I knew it was from the stress of all the thinking I've been doing lately.

"Not right now," I pleaded. Harry glanced at me, the skin between his eyebrows splitting into a frown. I ignored him, leaning my head against the cool window.

It was stupid, how no matter what my mind was constantly racing with Harry. It's either about his life in danger, or how my heart beats faster when he's near me. When he talks. Or very much so how his lips feel on mine. I loved the electricity it built in my belly.

I groaned to myself, wanting no more but to sink into the car's humming where it was peaceful and quiet. That's all I wanted to hear, not my own words of obsession over a guy who was originally my enemy. That hadn't lasted long, not at all. It was barely an enemy.

I still question how and when it happened. The how, I'll never know. He never really did anything good for me, not something that could erase all his bad. The when, I could pinpoint. But it will always remain a mystery. Since it quite literally sprung on me.

The how though, is so confusing. Him locking me in a cell for I'm not sure how many days should have immediately erased all potential feelings for him. It should have dug a heart in my chest large enough for Harry to lay in, closed with a lid saying this dudes a dick, and we hate him. But no, it made me curious about him. Made me wonder why he had did that to me, over my normal human reaction. Of course I would want to escape.

Then, I couldn't forget about how he tortured me in the beginning. That's something I will never forget. Each lash from the whip burned into my brain. Each punch across the face, leaving an everlasting scar. But even with knowing he did that to me and caused it, my heart still flutters when he talks. My stomach becomes a big pile of sizzling goo when he's near, weird as it sounds.

My phone ringing rips me from my thoughts, making me jump. I blink my eyes down to the lit up device, staring at it with disbelief before quickly answering. The contact name made my heart race.

"Louis, thank you for answering so quickly." His deep voice tickles my ear.

"What's up," I muttered, feeling the urge to keep the conversation quiet. Harry glances at me again, I point back at the road. He shouldn't be looking at me anyway, but the look of worry did make my heart flutter. He cares. I focused back on my father.

"You need to return much sooner than anticipated. There was another attack, and I think it's best your here."

"What do you mean," I ask, my tone a little harsh. I sit up straighter. Now every pair of eyes in this moving vehicle were staring at me.

"The serpents, they attacked us again. They mentioned your mother. I need you back tonight."

***

I felt light headed. The only thing I could acknowledge is my own breathing. It was so automatic. A constant reminder to breathe. Breathe. In. Out. The soft hum in, and the harsh hum out. Shoulders up, shoulders down. A particle of dust floats through the air, distracting me from my breathing.

I gasp, ripping me from my trance. Suddenly Harry's sitting in front of me facing my direction. Niall's head is peeking around his seat, and Liam is peeking around mine. I stare at them, shock still surging through my veins. I glance at my hands, rubbing them together. They were numb.

"Lou," Niall questions, I glance up at him.

I was confused about how they knew of my mother. Did they kill my mother? Why did I care? I hated her my whole life until Louise told me she visited me. What if she was lying and my mother had just left me? I shouldn't care.

"I shouldn't care," I ordered, my fingernails pressing into my palm, finding my hand still numb.

"About what," Harry asks, and suddenly my hands weren't numb, and my blood wasn't pumping loudly in my ears. The words were spilling out of my mouth.

"My mother. The serpents attacked my dad again and they mentioned her. It's killing me not knowing why. It's frustrating, I care."

Liam looks down, Niall's face drops, and Harry stares at me. Not talking.

"Is your dad still on the cell?"

I quickly look down at my phone, staring at the lit up screen. "Yeah. I guess so," I muttered. Suddenly Harry's taking the phone from my hand. I'm quick to try to snatch it, but he's much quicker then I am, stepping out of the car.

I'm ripping off my own seat belt, pushing open the door. A rush of wind gushes over me, twisting my hair up and making my clothes ripple. Goosebumps prick across my bare arms but I'm rushing around the front of the car, ignoring the biting cold.

"Yeah I'll bring him," Harry says. I stop, my shoes squeaking against the smooth pavement. A car flashes by, spitting up water.

"Yes okay. Gotcha. Niall and Liam too. Yup. He'll help. Okay, we're in the outskirts of London but I got my Volvo, we'll be there quickly. Don't say anything to him, they have him wired too." Then he turns on me.

"We're going to your dads, we agreed to join forces together on this," Harry mutters, handing me my phone. I take it, ignoring the way my hands shake.

"What did he say?"

"Nothing really, other than he has one for questioning. But I've told him to not speak to him. We're finding out tonight, what's their problem and how they know your mother."

"I'm not sure if this is a good idea," I pointed out, my stomach twisting. The thought of my dad and Harry working together seemed terrible. It's what my dad always wanted.

"Yes, but it's for you. You shouldn't be in danger anymore and once we figure this out I'll turn myself over, after I kill Troy."

My heart just about bursts out of my chest. "You can't kill him! And you can't turn yourself over!"

"That's the only way. I kill him or someone else is going to. I'm turning myself in because it's what you want. A world where there isn't war between two street gangs."

"That's not true," I bark, jabbing a finger at him. "I want a world with you, and you know that."

Harry smiles softly, comfortingly, while gently pushing my hand down to my side. "That's what you're worried about? You don't care about your dad."

"No."

"How come?"

I try to answer, but my answer is stuck in my throat. It was true, but I've never said it. Not really thinking about it. It just went through my head once or twice, never lasting in my brain more than a second. I swallow heavily.

"I was going to kill him anyway."

"Good, then you can," Harry says, as if that's the end of it.

"I will, but you aren't turning yourself in."

Harry scoffs, ripping his hands through his hair. "What? You want a life where you're constantly running with me? Where you're hidden away and can't live normally?"

"Yes."

"Bullshit, and you know it. Let's go," Harry barks, ripping open his car door. My heart breaks the slightest bit, but I convince myself that Harry's only acting like this because he's not used to people caring like I do. He doesn't know how to care for people either, and I can't blame him for hurting my feelings.

"Okay," I say, softly. Harry doesn't answer but instead climbs into his car, slamming the door shut.

_____

OMFG HELLO WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME. Writers block is literally killing me right now but it feels so good to get this out and finished. I haven't sat down and written in so long and it's a big wash of relief.

Also Harry is 28!!!! And yesterday was two days of walls :)))) (fun fact I have a really old draft of this book from like 2019 when he turned 26 let me know if y'all would want to see it. It's kinda funny how bad it was written.)

I'm so sorry for the lack of updates... hopefully my writers block isn't going to be as bad as it was. I finally planned out the rest of this book :) and I'm so excited for it. Don't hate me for taking so long haha

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.4K 1.2K 35
Louis comes to the bakery every morning and he knows everyone there. They know Louis personally that his friends with everyone who works there. There...
195K 4.5K 36
Harry could tell he was upset. He denied it, but Harry knew, Harry always knew. He wanted to comfort him, but couldn't take the chance of someone see...
6.4K 211 10
~Louis hasn't spoken for four years. He used to be full of life in other words he loved life so much but one day can change everything and in his cas...
1.6K 40 23
"I can't keep doing this," he said as he stopped and glanced back at me. "You can't keep running either," I said loudly. That made him turn and fac...