The Light Of His Life

By katiehelmsway

What if Damon Salvatore was engaged when he was a human? Before he was turned into a vampire by Katherine Pie... More

Author's Note
ACT I
CAST
HISTORY REPEATING
THE TURNING POINT
BLOODLINES
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED
FOOL ME ONCE
FLASHBACK: SIF COMES TO MYSTIC FALLS
A FEW GOOD MEN
THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
UNDER CONTROL
MISS MYSTIC FALLS
BLOODLINES
ISOBEL
THE FOUNDER'S DAY
SEASON 2 CAST
THE RETURN
BRAND NEW WORLD

UNPLEASANTVILLE

2.3K 42 7
By katiehelmsway

Now that Damon knew how to get Sif back, he was out of the moping mode and in the obsession mode. He couldn't exactly get her out without the key ingredient- Emily's spell book. So here he was, trying to find anything that would lead him to the tomb or Emily's witchy cookbook.

He was in the library of the Boarding House, looking through the books for something useful. Stefan came up behind him and asked, "What are you lookin' for, Damon?" Damon deflected the question saying it wasn't his concern.

Stefan replied, "No, but putting Elena in harm's way, that is my concern." Damon feigned ignorance and asked, "What are you talking about?" "I'm talking about Atlanta."

Damon smirked and turned towards Stefan and sarcastically said, "Oh, yeah. Elena and I had a blast." And went back to his work. Stefan chuckled and said, "I get it. You're just bitter because one of us gets to be with the person that we love, and poor Sif is just out of reach. Unless there's another way for you to get into that tomb. Is that what Bree said?"

Damon masked his anger and replied, "You're pathetic when you're fishing." "And you're transparent when you're deflecting." Damon looked at his way and smirked, "Don't you have school?" Stefan just smiled and left.

Damon watched him leave and then went back to finding something useful. He searched for a while before he gave in to that small voice in his head telling him that he needed the Bennett witch if he wanted Sif out.

He tried to ignore it as much as he could, not wanting to align with the witches until absolutely necessary but apparently the necessary came earlier than he expected. He went to the grill because school was over and that is the only place people hang out apparently.

Lucky for him, Bonnie was there. He approached her as she got up from her table. Bonnie looked at him and demanded, "What do you want from me?" Damon took a deep breath and said, "I think we need a fresh start." "You tried to kill me." Bonnie argued.

Damon pointed out that he didn't and if he wanted to, he could've. That should mean something, right? Bonnie didn't feel the same way and threatened, "You know, I can start fires with my mind. Fires kill vampires, right?" Damon looked slightly concerned because she was right. Bonnie noticed the look and continued, "Stay the hell away from me."

A boy's voice interrupted the staring contest between Damon and Bonnie, "Everything ok over here?" He was presented with a "we're fine" by Damon and he replied, " I wasn't talkin' to you."

Damon had to physically stop himself from killing this kid in a public place and just chuckled and left.

He went back to step one: Finding something important in the journals.

He was writing down the names of the founding family members, when Stefan came into the library. Damon glanced at him and commented, "You got the hair right." Stefan ignores the comment and drops a journal on the desk Damon is sitting at. Damon asked his brother why he brought him their Dad's Journal.

And Stefan stated, "Because you were looking for it." Damon looked up and questioned, "And why would I want it?" Stefan mocked him, "Gee, I don't know, Damon. Maybe you wanna do a little bit of posthumous bonding. Go ahead. Enjoy it. Read it." Damon picked up the journal and flipped through its pages, "I have. Nowhere in it does it say anything about Sif, or the tomb, or how to open it."

Damon muttered, "I'm not surprised. Man could barely spell his own name." Stefan ignored that and continued, "I'm really sorry that it won't be of any help with your Diabolical Plan: The Sequel." Damon smirked at that, annoyed and proud. Proud because his diabolical plans are everything Stefan disapproves of, which he likes, and annoyed because he can't believe that even after 145 years, there even has to be a diabolical plan.

Stefan offered, "You know, I could help you." Damon mocked him, "You? Help me? Aw, I don't know. Seems a little unnatural."

Stefan sighed and put his hands on his desk and said, "I'll do anything to get you out of this town, even release Sif." Damon prodded, "What about the other 26 vampires?" "No, no, no. They can't come. They have to stay put, but Sif, I would consider that." Stefan immediately answered.

Damon stared at him for a moment, contemplating on whether he could be trusted or not, before he asked, "What are you doin'? Hmm? What's your angle?" Stefan just asked to think about it. Damon had to admit it was a good deal, he would get Sif back and... well he doesn't care what happens to anyone else. He just cares about Sif. But why would Stefan want to help him after he promised him an eternity of misery?

He voiced his concern, "Why would I trust you?" And Stefan responded, " See that's your problem, Damon. You apply all of your shortcomings to everybody else. If history's any indication, there's only one liar among us." Damon sarcastically smiled and Stefan returned it as he left his brother alone.

Now alone, the raven-haired vampire actually thought about Stefan's deal. It was perfect. And Stefan seemed sincere about it. Damon would leave him alone if he asked after he gets Sif, they would leave this cursed town and go to somewhere far away. But he's ninety-nine percent sure that once he lets his guard down and trusts his brother with it, it would bite him in the ass. And he couldn't take any risks.

He was still thinking about the deal, when he heard Stefan's phone go off. He walked over to it and saw Elena calling. Answering it, He greeted, "Stefan's phone. How may I help you?" Elena's panicked voice responded, "Where is he?" Damon calmly answered, "He's on his way to you. Forgot his phone." Elena sighed on the other line and explained the reason for the call, "Oh, thank God. This compass was spinning. Stefan must be here. Thank you." Damon accepted it and she hung up.

Two minutes later, he got a call on his phone. Seeing Elena's name again, He picked up and said, "Elena we just talked two minutes ago. What do you need?" Stefan's voice came, "You need to come here now. The vampire was here and he attacked Elena."

Damon didn't exactly want to go but he needed to gain Stefan's trust so Stefan would not want to betray him, if he took the deal. He drove to the house and found Elena and Stefan sitting on the couch talking.

They told him why he had to put his Diabolical Plan: The Sequel (Shut up! It's his now.) on hold and had to come to save their asses immediately. He paced around the living room and asked, "How did he get in?" Elena explained that he was invited in and Stefan elaborated that he posed as the pizza delivery guy. Damon didn't get why she would invite a total stranger in her house when a vampire was out to get her, but hey what does he know.

He asked if he said what he wanted and Elena snapped, "No. He was too busy trying to kill me." Stefan calmed her down and asked his brother, "And you have no idea who this is?" Damon immediately replied no and when Stefan looked unconvinced, he tried to justify himself, " Don't look at me like that. I told you we had company."

Elena asked in a scared voice "You think there's more than one?" Damon answered her, sitting on the armchair of a couch, "We don't know." Stefan looked at the other vampire and said, "Damon, he was invited in." Insinuating that they had to kill him as his girlfriend was in danger and Damon nodded in understanding and agreement, "Then we go get him tonight." He looked at Elena and asked, "You up for it?"

Elena questioned what she would have to do and Damon answered, "Let your boyfriend take you to the dance. We'll see who shows up." And Stefan being Stefan immediately rejected the idea and Damon reasoned, "Till we get him, this house isn't safe. For anyone who lives in it. It's worth a shot." Elena agreed with Damon. Stefan still looked anxious so Elena reassured him, "I'll be with the two of you. I'll be safe."

They went to the dance and Damon and Stefan went away from Elena so the vampire wouldn't hesitate to approach her. There was an awkward silence between them as they looked around. Both of them were obviously thinking about the conversation they had back at the Boarding House. Damon asked Stefan if he could trust him again and Stefan just said, "When you're done with the numerous trust issues you're dealing with right now, I hope you clearly think about my deal since I have no reason to betray you. You getting Sif back would work in my favor too."

Damon didn't know what irked him more: the fact that Stefan just roasted him or the fact that he was right. Again.

Eventually Stefan wandered off and Damon searched for the Bennett witch. Now that he was here at the dance, might as well do something for his benefit. He approached Bonnie and Caroline at a table and said, "Hi, Bonnie. Wanna dance?" Bonnie stared at him in disgust and muttered, "I'm out of here."

She tried to walk away but Damon blocked her way pleading, "Please give me another chance." Bonnie ignored and pushed past him, walking off. Caroline was quick to follow, threatening Damon to back off and going after Bonnie.

Damon watched them leave and was approached by Elena and Stefan. Elena asked, "Where did they go?" Damon turned around and feigned ignorance. Stefan smiled and asked, having heard most of the conversation, "What did you say to them?" Damon replied with his usual snark, "I was perfectly polite."

He then turned towards Elena and asked just to mess with his brother, "Elena, would you like to dance?" She smirked and said, "I would love to!" Damon smirked but Elena turned to Stefan and asked him to Dance.

Damon sighed and looked around for the vampire again when someone came and stood by him. The man spoke, "Yeah, I don't recognize you. How'd you get roped into chaperoning?" Damon stared at him confused. He introduced himself, "Alaric Saltzman. I'm the new history teacher."

Damon shook his hand, "Ah, the cursed faculty position." Alaric chuckled and agreed. Damon introduced himself and Alaric asked if he had any relation to Stefan. Damon agreed, "He's my little brother. I'm his legal guardian, hence the chaperoning."

Alaric nodded, praising Stefan, "I hear he's very bright, not that I've had a chance to see for myself." Damon responded, "Well, his attendance record's a little spotty. Family drama." Alaric looked at him with pity and asked for parents and Damon informed that it was just the two of them now.

They stood in silence before Alaric spoke up again, "you live here your whole life?" Damon vaguely responded that they traveled a bit. Alaric prodded, "Really? Where? Around the states?" Damon knew this man was trying to fish something out of him and he was getting obvious. He turned towards the teacher with raised eyebrows and Alaric chuckled, embarrassed, "I'm sorry. I'm nosy. I...I don't mean to pry. Look, it was nice meeting you."

Damon returned the favor and Alaric bid him goodbye. Damon looked around, bored and found a girl in a red skirt to dance with. He danced with her for sometime when Stefan came up to him and dragged him away, claiming that the vampire was there.

They tracked Elena to the cafeteria and Stefan sped up to them and pulled the vampire away from Elena just as he was about to bite her. He was about to attack them, when Damon called out, a piece of wood in hand that he picked up from the floor, "Hey, dickhead. Nobody wants to kill you. We just wanna talk."

The strange vampire just smiled and went to attack Elena and Stefan again. Damon threw the stake to Stefan and he stabbed the vampire with it. The vampire grunted and fell to his knees. Damon walked over towards Elena and Stefan so they could interrogate him.

Stefan asked, "Now you feel like talking?" The vampire just replied, "Screw you." Stefan dug the stake in deeper and the vampire groaned in pain, "Wrong answer. Why are you doing this?" The vampire admits, "Because it's fun." Stefan dug the stake in a little bit more.

He continues to prod, "What do you want with Elena?" The vampire answered, "She looks like Katherine." Stefan and Damon shared shocked looks before Damon questioned, "You knew Katherine?" The vampire laughed, " Oh. You thought you were the only ones. You don't even remember me."

Damon took his chances, bent down and asked, hoping he would know, "Tell me how to get in the tomb. Hmm?" The vampire looked at Damon and refused. Stefan dug the stake in deeper. That seemed enough for the vampire to answer, "The grimoire."

Now Damon was even more interested. This vampire could lead him towards the grimoire which would help him get Sif. He asked, "Where is it?" When received with silence, Stefan dug the stake in deeper and he answered, "Check the journal. The journal. Johnathan's journal. Johnathan Gilbert's."

Damon stood up and grimaced. Stefan asked about the others who are working with him. The vampire didn't say anything and Damon asked again, "Who else is there?" Out of loyalty, the vampire says, "No. You're gonna have to kill me."

Damon sighed and looked at his brother who rolled his eyes and removed the stake from the vampire's stomach, only to stab him in the heart after a moment, killing him. Elena gasped in shock as the vampire fell to the floor and began to desiccate. She exclaimed, " What do we...how are you gonna find the others now?"

Damon firmly answered her, claiming that he had to die. Elena tried to argue weakly and Stefan reminded her, "Elena, he's been invited in." They heard a door open and saw Alaric coming. Stefan looked at Damon and told him to go deal with that.

Damon ran out the door and saw Alaric quickly making his way down another corridor. He sped up to the teacher and Alaric stopped abruptly. He cleared his throat and greeted Damon but the vampire just started to compel him, "What were you doing?" And the compelled human replies, "Looking for Ms. Hilden."

"Why are you in Mystic Falls?"

"I got a job as a teacher."

"Do you know what I am?"

"You're my student's brother."

"Is everything you're telling me the truth?"

"Yes." Damon smirked and said, "Then forget we had this conversation." And he walked off.

He walked back towards Stefan who was leaning against the wall in a corridor. They both stood in silence before Damon broke it, "There's no way that idiot was working' alone." And Stefan reminded him that he is before he deduced, "So the grimoire...That was Emily's, right? That's what you need to reverse the spell. When the founding families burned her, they took her things, and you were hoping that dad's journal would tell you where it is."

Damon mocked him, "Look at you putting the pieces together. Good for you." Before informing him, "I was half-right. Well, it's out there now. Let the games begin." Stefan reminded him that his offer still stood and Damon reminded him, "Yeah, with some hidden caveats, no doubt."

Stefan shook his head, "No. Nothing hidden about it. No lies. No deception. I'm there when you open up that tomb, you and Sif go, and the other 26 vampires die."

Still skeptical, Damon prodded, "If I agree?" "I'll help you." Damon asked, "Why should I trust you?" Stefan responded, "Because I'm your brother." And Damon was quick to tell him that it was not enough. Stefan changed his answer to something more believable, "Because I want you gone." Damon thought if this is an acceptable reason to trust Stefan and agreed. Stefan nodded, sealing the terms to their agreement.

They then took the body from the school and buried it somewhere. Stefan took Elena home and Damon went back to the Boarding House. He was one step closer to getting Sif and even if he wasn't completely sure of a lot of things in the plan, he was sure of one thing. He couldn't trust Stefan.

⟪⁌‖↤∾∳∾↦‖⁍⟫

[Words: 2773]

[A/N: And that was the new chapter! ONLY TWO CHAPTERS FOR SIF!! YAYY!!]

COMMENT

VOTE

SHARE

-Katie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

501K 8.5K 58
Emily Forbes was engaged to marry klaus mikaelsons but after he cheated on her she knew she deserve better and moved on with her life though the dif...
1.2M 23.8K 58
Juliet Salvatore hasn't seen her brothers since 1864, she thought they were dead. After she woke up she thought she was all alone, she didn't want to...
349K 8.1K 60
Samantha returns back to Mystic Falls to help her sister after her parents death. Unexpected, mysterious things started happening in the tiny town. S...
2M 49.3K 34
❝Only three things are infinite: the universe, human stupidity, and my hate for Damon Salvatore; and I'm not even sure about the universe.❞ In 1864...