Finding My Normal

By vm-pb-sn

After Sang's family died she was moved from foster home to foster home. She has finally found a new life wit... More

Ch 1: One Step at a Time
Ch 2: My First Friend
Ch 3: Tackling the Assignment
Ch 4: Porcelain Peek-A-Boo
Ch 5: Mall Adventure
Ch 6: Fountain of Gods
Ch 7: Academy Files- Sang on the Case
Ch 8: Sang in a Tree
Ch 9: A Birthday to Remember
Ch 11: Meeting Betsy
Ch 12: Proposals, Cheers and Red Gummy Bears
Ch 13: To Ask or Not to Ask
Ch 14: Front Seat, Back Set, Passenger Seat Driver...and Sang
Ch 15: Secret Admirer or Stalker?
Ch 16: Torn to Pieces
Ch 17: Cheer Hell
Ch 18: Meeko
Ch 19: A Night with Gabe Keeps the Worries Away
Ch 20: How Do You Spell Trouble?
Ch 21: Empty Hallways
Ch 22: Drop of Doubt 2.0
Ch 23: Sparks Ignite
Ch 24: Where There's Smoke
Ch 25: There's Fire
Ch 26: The Raven Was Called Sin
Ch 27: Sweet Dreams
Ch 28: Trouble's in Trouble. Again.
Ch 29: Owen vs. Sang
Ch 30: Face Off
Ch: 31 Within the Lines
Ch 32: Spy Girl Sang
Ch 33: I Spy an Amatuer
Ch 34: Confronting My Nightmares
Ch 35: Who is the Big Bad Wolf?
Ch 36: Private Eyes
Ch 37: Into the Woods
Ch 38: Sang's Balloon
Ch 39: May the Odds be Ever in Your Favor
Ch 40: Ghosts, Snakes and Panties Oh My!
Ch 41: From C to Shining D
Ch 42- Swing My Heart Across the Line
Ch 43: Kumbaya
Ch 44: Communication Intercepted
Ch 45: Déjà Vu
Ch 46: Breaking News
Ch 47: Working on Overdrive
Ch 48: Secrets
Ch 49: Rah-Rah-ah-ah-ah!
Ch 50: Tales
Ch 51: Happily Never After
Ch 52: En Prise
Ch 53: Family Fun Time
Ch 54: Happy Birthday to Me!
Ch 55: Wake Up Call
Ch 56: Trapped Ghosts
Ch 57: Things of My Nightmares
Ch 58: A Rose by any Other Name
Ch 59: Kotov Syndrome
Ch 60: A Message From Volto
Ch 61: On the Hunt
Ch 62: Five Years Ago
Ch 63: Blindsided
Ch 64: Inside the Mind of Perfection
Ch 65: Sisters Grimm
Ch 66: Running Out of Time
Ch 67: A Mother and her Bird
Ch 68: The First Family Meeting
Ch 69: The First Betrayal
Ch 70: Caught in a Web of Lies
Ch 71: Friends vs. Family
Ch 72: Lessons Learned
Ch 73: Blank Space
Ch 74: The Accident
Ch 75: My Chance
Ch 76: Reflection
Ch 77: Silver Lining
Ch. 78: Play Time
Ch 79: Marie
Ch 80: Finding My Normal
Ch 81: Epilouge
Ch 82: Clues
Ch 83: Finding My Family

Ch 10: Nightmare on Sang Street

4K 244 39
By vm-pb-sn

"Sang!! Sang!!"

"Pooh Bear wake up, you're okay."

I realize my parents are shaking me, trying to wake me up and I slowly open my eyes to see them hovering over me with worry in their eyes.

"Booger was it the same dream again?"

"Yes, Dad"

"Oh Babykins, I'm so sorry. Having to relive that day over and over again must be horrible, I just can't imagine. I'm going to call Dr. Roberts, see if he has any recommendations."

"Mom, no! I don't want to see anyone. I'm fine."

"Sang, this has gone on far too long. And now that you are venturing out of the house it shouldn't be a problem to meet up with a professional to help you with these nightmares. Also you need closure for your family's death, Babykins. You've never dealt with that."

I think about how much my parents don't know. They think my nightmares are only about the accident; about how both my parents died on impact and Marie's body was never recovered. They don't know about the connection between that day and my last night in foster care. They don't know about the unanswered questions that haunt me. My dreams started turning those questions into nightmares- a reminder of everything I don't know about that day. For all the questions the police threw at me that day, I now have one of my own-What scared them into ruling my family's death as an accident instead of pursuing whatever leads they had?

"Mom, please. I haven't had the nightmares in a long time. This is the first in like two weeks. I think I was just nervous about tomorrow or something."

"Okay, but if it continues I'm taking you, no excuses. I'll make your favorite breakfast for today, maybe you will feel better after that."

My parents leave my room and I'm surprised Dad didn't complain about Mom feeding me chocolate chip pancakes for two days in a row. He must feel bad about my nightmare. Once I'm sure they are all downstairs I crawl over to the small attic door and dig out the book I keep in there.

It is a first edition copy of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. The only thing I have left of my old life and the only thing that contains the answer to my parent's accident. As I open the book it automatically flips to the page where I have pressed the rose from that day. A single red Chrysler Imperial rose. It was once a deep red color and has now faded to a light rouge. The edges of each petal have shriveled and curled a bit, the faintest tint of brown is visible. I pull out the note that was left with it, "Sang- We will be back to get you soon. Happy Birthday". I have read the note so many times it is worn out and creased, about to fall apart.

The police thought my parents had left the note. That they had gone to run an errand and were going to come back to pick me up for my birthday. I had assumed the same for years. I put down the note and picked up the dried rose again and started thinking about all those questions the police asked me at the station. At eight years old I didn't understand why they were asking me such strange questions after they had already told me the deaths were an accident. They were making it sound like someone did this to them.

Looking back at the rose in my hand I know the suspicions of my eight year old self were spot on. The police did know someone had done this to my family. Someone was after them. The roses left in the front yard of my last foster home was the final clue. The day I found the note on the kitchen counter took on a whole new meaning. My parents didn't leave the note. They were not coming back for me, but someone else was.

Was the note the killers way of sending me a message or did the killer leave the note as a decoy to erase any thought of murder? If the killer is after me, what does he want with me? Why hasn't he taken me already? And why did it seem like the masked boy was protecting me that last night in foster care? He seemed so young, if the masked teenager is involved with my parents accident then he must be working with someone older. The masked teenager would have been too young when my parents died.

I place the rose back between the pages of the book and slip it back into my attic space. I crawl back under my covers and my mom brings me breakfast in bed because I don't feel like doing much after waking up from my nightmare.

I start feeling anxiety about registration tomorrow. It's not full on school, but it is lots of people, lots of new faces and new experiences. I'm a little scared at the thought. Making friends with Kota, Victor and Nathan was easy, but it was just them around. Now I will be at a school with thousands of kids at one time. Not knowing who is going to be in my class, who is around the corner, do I keep to myself? Should I make friends with just anyone? Or just the people on my assignment list? How am I even going to make friends with these people?!? Meeting Kota, Nathan and Victor was by chance. Pure luck. I didn't do much to force an interaction with them. They did most of the heavy lifting; literally with Nathan. I can only hope I will have just as much luck with the rest of the list and don't run into any trouble.

Later that night I do my best to fall asleep, but struggle out of fear that the instant I close my eyes I will have another nightmare. Tuesday finally arrives and I drag myself out of bed exhausted from lack of sleep. I pick out a white eyelet fabric fit and flare dress and pair it with tan gladiator sandals. After I bathe, brush my teeth and fix my hair in a twist at the base of my neck with a clip, I head downstairs to find my parents huddled around the kitchen island. At the sound of my footsteps they turn around and yell "Surprise!!!"

"It's not my birthday."

"We know that, silly monkey!"

"Sang, Babykins, we wanted to celebrate your first day of school. Now I know today is only registration, but tomorrow you take the bus so we won't have as much time to celebrate as we do today."

Dad continues, "Your favorite breakfast and a gift!" He pushes forward a plate of chocolate chip pancakes. I'm surprised I'm not tired of them after three days in a row, but the smell already has my tummy grumbling. He also pushes forward a small package wrapped in pink polka dot paper.

I sit down to munch on my breakfast while staring at the package trying to figure out what it is.

"Booger it's not going to open itself!"

"Dad stop calling me booger!" I say with a laugh. I begin to open the gift and find a brand new iPhone with a pink case. I am shocked and excited at the same time. It had never occurred to me how much I wanted a cell phone because I never had anyone to talk to, but now that I will be attending school and have made some new friends I am excited to put this thing to work.

"Thank you! Thank you! I love it!!"

"We thought it would be a great present for your new start. And we've programmed our numbers in there in case of emergencies and the house number is on there too along with Dr. Roberts in case you ever need anything and you can't get a hold of us. You know he would do anything for you."

"Thanks mom, I know."

"Well lets get going you don't want to be late, all the classes you want will be filled then you'll have to take something boring."

As Mom and I head over to her car and make our way to Ashley Waters I see that Nathan and Kota have already left because there are no cars in Kota's driveway.

It takes us less than 15 minutes to get to school and when we walk in I look around for any recognizable faces. Surprisingly the first person I spot is the Greek god from the mall. Being so tall he sticks out like a sore thumb over the crowd of other students. What was his name again?? Oh, yes Silas! I wonder if he will recognize me.

"Sang!"

I turn and see Kota, Victor and Nathan huddled in line by the sophomore registration table. They wave me over and I turn to my mom silently asking for permission to leave her with the rest of the parents while I go with my friends. She nods and smiles in response.

As I walk over Victor's eyes smolder as I approach. "Hi Princess". Victor's greeting doesn't seem to phase Kota, probably because he has heard him call me 'princess' before at the mall, but I notice Nathan makes a face at it.

"Hey guys! Did you all register already?"  I ask all of them at once.

Kota nudges his glass up with one finger and replies, "Nathan and Victor are all set. I still need to visit the Medical Magnet table for those classes."

"Okay, I'll register for my regular class then meet you at the Medical Magnet table?"

"Sure, we'll meet you there. Maybe we can all hang out after at my house?"

"I'll have to ask my mom first."

Nathan hasn't spoken a word during this entire conversation; he seems serious or mad. I don't know him well enough to tell, but I know for sure something is bothering him when he declines hanging out at Kota's house.

"Nah, I've got things to do, can't hang out today."  He says as he shoves his hands in his pockets.

After registering for my basic core classes I head over to the medical magnet table to register for my special science and math classes. I notice Kota has already finished and the guys are huddled together having a somewhat heated conversation. Nathan seems angry at Victor and Kota is trying to be the mediator. As I walk past them I overhear Victor and Nathan's voices.

"What are you doing? You barely know her."  Nathan accuses.

"Someone sounds jealous..."

Nathan huffs, "She means nothing to me."

Are they talking about me? What could Nathan be jealous of and do I really mean nothing to him? I thought we were friends. Uhh this people stuff is so complicated. I guess I shouldn't feel bad. I only spent time with Nathan that one time, I'm stupid to think we're friends after one day.

Feeling a little saddened over the revelation that Nathan isn't a friend yet, I'm excited to see the smiling face sitting at the medical magnet table. Person of interest Dr. Sean Green. Perfect! There's nothing like my assignment to keep my mind occupied.

"Hello, beautiful. What can I do for you?"

I blush at him calling me beautiful and I can't help but stare at his green eyes and curly blonde hair. His smile is infectious and I instantly forget all my friend worries from five minutes ago. That is until He speaks up.

"Sean, appropriate behavior please."

While Dr. Green laughs off the reprimand I start to look up. My pulse quickens at every inch of grey I see until my heart stops at the sight of a maroon tie. It can't be him.

The mysterious man from the mall. What is he doing here? At the mall I figured he was a businessman, is he a teacher? Ok Sang, not to worry, he's not following you, he's not the masked teenager from all those years ago, he's not involved with my family's accident. It's all just a coincidence. You are bound to run into the same people when we all live in the same city. My brain tells me this, but something at the bottom of my stomach tells me to pay attention to this man. The way his eyes bore into me like he's reaching into my soul makes me feel like he knows me. Or wants to know me? I can't tell.

"Sang this is Mr. Blackbourne, the Dean of Education. He and I are working on implementing this new program together. All medical magnet students will be working very closely with the two of us."

Well, that's good for my assignment. Not good for my sanity when this suit clad man terrifies me. I'm not so sure terrify is the right word. My anxiety is high, but I'm not running for the hills. Intimidate? Yes that's the word, he is very intimidating and I feel like if I don't pull it together this could turn out to be a worse nightmare than the one I had yesterday.

Mr. Blackbourne doesn't say another word while Dr. Green handles my schedule and signs me up for my special classes. He looks to be about the same age as Dr. Green. How is he in such a high position at the school when he is only a few years older than me? I should have finished reading the file that night! I didn't get a chance to look at the last page. Now I know the steel gray eyes boring into me are what I would have found staring back at me had I flipped the file to the last page that night. I could have been better prepared for this encounter, not frazzled and speechless like I am now!

Why oh why did I ever leave the house? It's times like this when my anxiety is on overload that I wish I were Dorothy chanting "there's no place like home" while clicking my ruby slippers together. Make that pink slippers.

—————-A/N—————-

I had a little trouble writing the first part of this one. So if there is confusion just ask me in the comments and I'll help explain anything. (that is if it doesn't give away important stuff ;) )

Next chapter is called "Meeting Betsy"! Take a guess as to who/what Betsy is in the comments! Chapter 11 will be posted after I finish reading TOSOE <3 Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.7K 1.7K 13
Karen convinces Sang to end her dry spell by participating in a weekend long dating marathon. How many items will Karen and Sang be able to check of...
46.1K 4K 25
When Gabriel and Sang are assigned to watch over bullying happening in a children's art class, Sang is on cloud nine that she actually gets to help w...
44K 2.5K 21
NOTE: I'm editing this story now! Not planning on changing any content. I'm just fixing typos, punctuation, grammar, etc. If you see any errors (incl...
136K 6.4K 36
After making a tough and final decision to leave home where family clearly didn't want her, Sang meets Phil and is joined into the academy very quick...