Memoir of the Messenger (tras...

By 01LuNa08

The war has ended, they had finally killed the man whose sole ambition is to conquer the world, the White Sta... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
End

Chapter 5

15.6K 985 328
By 01LuNa08

A long table was placed in the center of the room, filled with numerous expensive foods, side dishes, too much for one person. A few servants were seen to be standing in the sides.

From the furniture to the foods, it can be described as anything but less.

The commoners who were watching can't help but feel slightly envious and drooled at the sight, as they can only have that much food during festivals or celebrations and even some of them have never experienced that much in their whole life.

But if you look closely at the Child sitting on the edge, will make one think twice.

A couple of minutes has passed but Cale remains seated, his hands folded on his lap, the food that screams to be eaten was left untouched.

"Does he not like the food?" a child innocently asked in the crowd, followed by a scoff from someone else.

Beacrox's expression was scrunched into a grimace.

Food is rather a sensitive topic to him, he understood the meaning of starving and the importance of food more than anyone in the room.

Seeing someone who doesn't appreciate it, quite upset him.

At the same time, the door creaked open and revealed a man in his late 60s, wearing a chef's uniform.

Ron still recognizes the old man, he was the one who is responsible for the main kitchen and who was later demoted to #3 kitchen.

The chef walk up to him and bowed his head with respect before greeting him. "Young master."

"Pardon me for asking, but is the food not in your liking?" he asked carefully. It seems that the chef has the same assumption as them.

After a while, the chef inquired again. "Do you wish for me to replace them?"

However, contrary to everyone's beliefs.

Cale leaned his body backward and turned his head towards him, but instead of answering, he asked. "Is father not going to eat?"

Hearing Cale asking for him made Deruth raise his head and look towards his son.

Beacrox's frown slowly dissipated, while the others were seemingly surprised by his question.

The chef hesitated for a while, he looked at Cale, his eyes revealed conflicting emotion as he spoke,
seemingly choosing his words carefully. "Young Master, I'm afraid the Count has already finished eating in his office."

The room got a lot quieter in an instant, their hearts quivered at the sight.

Cale looked at him, before glancing towards one of the servants, looking so confused. "B-But when I asked you earlier, you said father hasn't eaten yet.

Blinking, he asked confusely. "How come he has finished eating so quickly?"

The servant bowed his head respectfully, pursing her lips into a thin line. "Young Master, you asked this servant when you have arrived here earlier..." she can't help but avert her eyes.

After a while, she finally mustered up the courage to speak, a bitter expression can be seen on her face as she continued. "It's been four hours since then, Young master."

Cale looked surprised and glance towards the clock that was hung on the wall before looking back in front of him, It was past 10 in midnight.

After a moment of silence, Cale spoke softly, his expression sinking in an instant. "Ah... I see I haven't noticed."

The servant looked like she wanted to speak but she then stayed down, she reminded herself that she's just a servant.

Cale didn't speak anymore and was about to pick up the silverware to start his eating but the chef eagerly steps forward. "Young master, please wait as I'll fetch another set of food."

Cale gently raised his hand, stopping him."Don't bother."

"Young master, please... At least let me re-heat them for you." After a few more persuasion from the chef, Cale finally gave in. " Very well, then."

The chef put on a relieved smile as he rushed on getting the plates, while the servants who earlier watched the scene unfold in front of their eyes in silence, quickly stepped in to help.

While Cale only watched them as they did and slowly the scenery changed again and again.

They watched as Deruth immerse himself in work. Locking himself inside his office, as if forgetting he still has a son.

They all watched how much he neglected Cale.

while Cale on the other hand, has always sought for his father, showed him nothing but patience and understanding.

Waiting for his father to join him to eat, even though he always ended up eating alone and his food was either re-heated or left cold as his father never showed up.

Stopping numerous times in front of his father's office, hoping for him to come out while holding a sheet of paper in his hands, they could guess it was his daily paper activities, with the huge marking of a perfect score.

Silently following his father, Deruth didn't seem to notice or maybe just deliberately ignored him as he didn't even spare him a glance and treated him like air.

Ron who previously has said he knew everything about Cale didn't seem to have the confidence as much as now. As he couldn't recall these events that happened in the past in detail.

Perhaps, it was because he didn't pay much attention to him as he only regarded him as nothing more but a duty, that needed to be taken care of.

Although Ron knew the reason as to why the Count acted that way.

The Count was too heartbroken that time, that he dared not even see his son who resembled his wife.

Whilst Alberu felt a tug in his chest, he can't help but be reminded of himself in the past after his mother passed away, losing his father's favor.

Alberu looked intently at the child in front of him as he chuckles to himself, he didn't think the person has so many similarities to him.

But unlike him who still has his Aunt Tasha and the people of the dark elves tribe, he knew the child in front of him has no one.

Deruth faltered as he swallows thickly, he had a look like something valuable shattered before his eyes but couldn't do anything.

And finally, it took a stop. This time, they were in a study room. Cale is sitting on a couch while a book that was far advanced for his age can be seen in his hands.

A knock was heard, A familiar voice announced from the outer room, Cale paused for a moment before flipping the page and spoke in a childlike voice. "Come in."

The door was pushed open, and a butler entered on light footsteps. It was Ron, still in his 50s.

Ron who is watching, let out a breath. He remembered which period this was.

This was the time when Cale started to change.

He stood respectfully in front of him, with his hands at his sides. Ron spoke with a benign smile on his face. "Young Master, the Count wishes to speak with you."

If someone didn't know him in person would likely mistake him for a soft-hearted old man.

Cale beamed in reply, almost dropping the book in his hands, as he hastily stood up from his seat.

Ron turned on his heel and walk out as Cale followed him from behind, smoothening out the wrinkles of his clothing with his small pale hands, his smile never left his face.

His father who ignored him for two years had come looking for him especially.

They stopped in front of a garden, they could see flowers swaying in between the greenery.

Ron announced his arrival, he waited for Deruth to dismiss him, before leaving.

Ron whose back was covering his sight was gone, allowing Cale to finally see the view in front of him.

But the happiness radiating from Cale was suddenly gone, his smile vanishes along with it.

His line of sight was focused on the unknown woman drinking tea with his father.

Seeing those reddish-brown eyes that light up with joy vanished in an instant, made Violan feel cold in the pit of her stomach.

Cale looked at his father as if asking. Hoping his speculations are wrong.

But Deruth didn't seem to notice his conflicted gaze and didn't pick up on the impending breakdown as he spoke without hesitation.

"Cale, greet the new Countess." he place his hand atop Violan's hand, a small smile was placed on his lips.

'New Countess...' he muttered, it barely came out as a whisper. His eyes slowly became overwhelmed with emotions.

The couple were far from him and couldn't catch what he said.

But Violan and Deruth who now stood closer, heard loud and clear, even the emotion lacing his words.

The ache in their chest intensified.

Cale slowly glanced at her before bowing and greeted her respectfully. As he lifted his head, his gaze became frigid.

He looked back at Deruth and spoke, his voice suddenly dry. "I forgot I still have matters to attend to, please excuse me." He then turned on his heel and left.

The sound of a scraping chair can be heard. Cale could see in his peripheral view his father stood up and Violan, who cast him a worried gaze as he left, but Cale didn't stop.

He pretend that he didn't notice and slipped away, as if afraid that even a minute longer he stayed there would break him apart.

The people's eyes went dull as their gaze subconsciously followed the back of the retreating figure.

It is only normal for someone to remarry again, especially if one is a noble or an aristocrat.

They had witnessed how Deruth fell into the abyss as he lost his wife, and how the Count finds his way back again when he met Violan, the head of a merchant guild.

She who made the Count open his heart again and learn how to smile again.

That's why they view Cale being immature and inconsiderate, for not wanting his father to be happy.

But watching now, they begin to realize the timing was indeed not perfect. And it was only normal for Cale to react in such way.

They have forgotten to include that Cale was also mourning that time and needed his father the most.

A child whose mother tried to kill him and who later lost his mother at a tender age with no one to confide in, and has a father who avoids him like a plague.

They couldn't simply imagine how shocking and betrayed the child must have felt, when his father brought a woman he never met in their house, let alone when the count declared that she will be the new Countess.

However, Deruth who watch the scene unfolded in his eyes for the second time finally understood.

The sorrow in Cale's eyes, the disappointment radiating from Cale-his son stabbed him like a thorn.

But watching himself being oblivious of his son's pain is even more unbearable, he felt numb and helpless.

Deruth closed his eyes, he knew there is no point in dwelling on the past, but the memories kept rushing and pouring through his mind and the image of his son became even clearer.

Deruth was aware of his shortcomings, that is why he was tolerant of his son's behavior, listening to his son's every demand.

Giving him money that is far more than enough for him, even though he knew Cale would always squander it on expensive liquors.

However, he has failed to realize.

He failed to give what Cale badly needed.

He was only focused on the things he had done for his son, forgetting the things he should have done for him.

Deruth failed to be a father to Cale and that can never be undone.

The scene faded and changed into a different scenery.

There were back in the dining room, Cale sat in his previous sit, except this time, his father occupied the other end, besides him was Violan and on the other side was Basen.

And the food is still warm as they could still see smoke coming from it, making the food more inviting.

But the atmosphere didn't hold the same warmth, and no one tried to break the awkwardness that was filling the room as they all continued eating.

They looked back at the figure of the youth that was silently eating, his eyes have now held the usual coldness and indifference, and an arrogant expression on his face, something that they are all used to seeing.

But somehow, in their eyes.

The youth looked so pitiful and lonely.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

175K 13.8K 52
Somehow, a narcoleptic transmigrator is working as a stablehand in the Henituse County. That's fine, there's no way Cale would care enough about this...
38K 2.7K 30
in a world where there are no hunters and no white star, there's a lot more time for petty politics and relationship drama og cale x alberu PLEASE NO...
13.2K 751 19
〔 Kim Rok Soo x Cale Henituse (og!) 〕 Cale made a deal with the god of death, he returned to the past and was surprised because there were several ch...
2.8K 181 4
Maybe if he did things differently... Maybe he wouldn't be standing here again. In front of a grave. No. It wasn't 'A grave ' anymore. Not anymore...