Letters and Love

由 thequietwriter

Elizabeth Garrison has never had an interest in the newspaper advertisements of men seeking a bride. But life... 更多

Chapter One: Elizabeth
Chapter Three: Elizabeth
Chapter Four: Noah
Chapter Five: Elizabeth
Chapter Six: Noah
Chapter Seven: Elizabeth
Chapter Eight: Noah
Chapter Nine: Elizabeth
Chapter Ten: Noah
Chapter Eleven: Elizabeth
Chapter Twelve: Noah
Chapter Thirteen: Elizabeth
Chapter Fourteen: Noah
Chapter Fifteen: Elizabeth
Chapter Sixteen: Noah
Chapter Seventeen: Elizabeth
Chapter Eighteen: Noah
Chapter Nineteen: Elizabeth
Chapter Twenty: Noah
Chapter Twenty-One: Elizabeth
Chapter Twenty-Two: Noah
Chapter Twenty-Three: Elizabeth
Chapter Twenty-Four: Noah
Chapter Twenty-Five: Elizabeth
Chapter Twenty-Six: Noah
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Elizabeth
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Noah
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Elizabeth
Chapter Thirty: Noah

Chapter Two: Noah

2K 151 30
由 thequietwriter

"I've got three letters here for you, Coleman. Your sister must have a lot to say this year."

Three? My heart sank as I reached to take the letters. I hadn't realized how eagerly I'd been anticipating answers to my advertisement. It wasn't as though I'd believed I would get responses from hundreds of women eager to marry me, but...three? I'd waited weeks for three letters?

Was I doomed to remain alone for the rest of my days?

"You look disappointed," Abe Collins commented, getting my attention. He rested his elbows on the counter and leaned forward. His eyes were alight with interest. "It's not every family that has a diligent letter writer like your sister. Were you expecting something else?"

At least he thought all three letters were from my sister. If he knew I had advertised for a bride, it would be all over the territory by the end of the day. Gossipy old ladies had nothing on Abe Collins when he wanted to be the first to spread news.

"Did any newspapers come in?" I asked, avoiding the question in the only way I knew how. I slipped the letters into my pocket for later.

Collins straightened up and reached under the counter. "A few from Chicago and one came all the way from Missouri. You want to read them?"

Though I had no interest in Chicago in general, I much preferred a newspaper from there over anything that would come from Missouri. I accepted the paper and added it to my crate of supplies. Thank goodness, I hadn't chosen Chicago to send my advertisement to.

Behind me, the bell jangled cheerfully as the door opened. Collins' gaze shifted past me. "Well, afternoon, Burns," he said with a smile. "And Miss Annie. How pretty you look today. What brings you back in again today?"

Just the two people I had hoped to avoid seeing. The only way it could have been any worse was if Mrs. Burns was with them, but happily that didn't seem to be the case. She wouldn't have been afraid to chase me down and press her point.

"I'll see you next time, Collins," I said, grabbing my crate. I wanted to be on my way and avoid conversation. "Thanks for the paper. I'll bring it back as soon as I'm finished."

"Leaving already?" Jake Burns asked as he came up beside me. He clapped a hand on my shoulder. "It seems we hardly see you in town anymore, Noah. I hope things are well on your homestead."

Uncomfortable, I edged away, trying to shake off his hand without being blatant about it. I may have had a few inches on him, but he managed to seem bigger than me. It was true I had cut down on the times I would ride into town for company, but why I chose to do so was not something I would voice in front of an audience.

Especially not when the audience was the biggest gossip in the territory.

"Things are just fine," I answered, trying to be polite. I stepped away from the counter as a hint that I wasn't about to stand and shoot the breeze with them. "There's always things to do, though."

"Why don't you come to dinner while you are in town?" Sixteen-year-old Annie Burns asked with a wide smile. "Ma baked a pie this morning and I know how much you enjoy sweets, Mr. Coleman."

"Mr. Coleman?" Her father repeated with a laugh. "There's no need for such formality between neighbors, is there? I'm sure he won't object to you calling him by his Christian name, will you, Noah?"

I eyed him uneasily. There was every objection to such informality. She was a child and while I came into town often, we were not close neighbors or even friends. I'm not even sure when he started calling me by my Christian name instead of simply "Coleman" like everyone else.

"Thanks for the offer," I said swiftly before he cornered me into being rude. "I'm afraid I can't accept it. I have to get back to my spread."

"Surely you have time for a piece of pie," Burns said, his hand tightening on my shoulder. "The missus makes a spectacular pie. Come, Noah. You must be starved for some good cooking and company. We have plenty of both under my roof."

I was highly conscious of Collins watching this all with sharp eyes and amusement. What must he think of this and what would he say to others about it? Shifting away, I managed to get free of Burns' hand as I said, "Not today. As I said, I have to get back to my homestead."

"Well, will we see you on Sunday?" Annie asked, disappointment shining in her brown eyes. "The preacher will be in town, you know."

"I'm sure I will be in town to hear the Reverend's sermon," I said, unwilling to commit myself to anything. "Good day to you both."

The girl's mouth was open as though she were going to say more as I hurried away. I suspected she was about to ask if I would join them for Sunday dinner after the morning sermon and I didn't want to have to refuse her. If I did, I wouldn't be able to accept any other offer that might come my way from the kind families in town. It seemed kinder to just avoid the question altogether.

Call me a coward if you will, but it is what it is.

I stepped out of the general store into the sunshine, appreciating the heat of summer. I heaved a sigh of relief as I moved to my wagon. The last six months had been uncomfortable because of that family. They meant well, I'm sure, but I did not appreciate how they hounded me...

"Noah, wait a moment." Burns' voice rang out behind me. "Good lord, boy, why are you walking so fast? Are you running from a fire?"

No, I was running from him. "Is there a problem?" I asked, glancing over my shoulder. "Did I drop something?"

"No problem, and no, you didn't drop something," the stocky man said as he strode over. "I thought you might be the one with a problem. You've been avoiding us since springtime, and fair broke poor Annie's heart by doing so! What's happened? Whatever offense there is, I'm sure we can talk it out."

Lord, how I had wanted to avoid a conversation like this! Why couldn't they just take the hint that I wasn't going to give them what they wanted?

"There is no offense on my side," I told him, choosing my words with care. I set my crate on the bed of my wagon. "And I'm sorry if Miss Burns has had her hopes raised for any reason—"

"Noah, Noah, Noah!" Burns interrupted with a forced laugh. "I just said there was no call for any formality between us since we've known each other for near six years now! Say you'll come to Sunday dinner and we'll put this all behind us. It'll put a smile on Annie's face."

His wheedling tone set me on edge. "No, I really won't be able to accept," I said swiftly. "Mr. Burns, with all due respect—"

"Come now. How many times do I have to tell you to call me Jake?" the older man interrupted with a laugh. "No stuffy formality between us. I insist! We'll leave that kind of thing to the city people back East."

Given that he had only begun saying that in the last six months, about the time his daughter turned sixteen, I wasn't prepared to accede to his request. For whatever reason, they had singled me out as a prospective husband for the girl.

Because I'd proved up my stake and the land was mine, free and clear? I couldn't be the only man to have met all the government's requirements. I certainly wasn't the only unmarried man in the territory.

Whatever the reason they had chosen me, I had no interest in courting a girl who was fourteen years my junior. She was still a child and had no business chasing a husband yet. Well, that was my opinion and obviously her family disagreed.

"That's all well and good, Mr. Burns," I said firmly as I faced him. It looked like I needed to be direct with him. "Thank you for the invitation, but no. I am unable to accept your invitation. I am simply not interested."

"Come now—"

"I know why you keep inviting me," I continued, steeling myself. "Annie is a fine girl. You and Mrs. Burns have raised her well. However, I have no interest in her as a wife. It would be unkind to encourage her to chase after me."

Burns stared at me with open astonishment. "What do you mean? Annie will make a good wife. What makes you think she wouldn't?"

"I'm sure she will be a good wife, but not for me." How much more direct did I need to be?

"A man like you needs a wife," Burns persisted, his tone becoming stubborn. He stepped closer as if he could persuade me if he invaded my personal space. "What do you have against her? Has someone dared to say something about her?"

"I have nothing against her, and I've never heard a bad word about her," I told him defensively. "But she's young. Too young for me, that is."

Scoffing, the other man waved hand. "Surely you know her youuth is a benefit for you. Her ma and I have raised her up right, and she knows what a girl like her needs to know about work and keeping things going on a farm. But she's still young enough you can train her how you want your wife to behave. She's a quick learner. You wouldn't have any problems with her."

His words made my stomach twist with disgust. How could he say such a thing about his own daughter? Clearly he didn't know me well if he thought I was that kind of man. And just as obviously, I didn't know him as I thought I had.

"The answer is still no. I'm not interested in courting or marrying your daughter."

"What?" Burns asked with an incredulous laugh. "I don't know what game you're playing at, but it's ridiculous. It isn't as though you have many other options, Coleman. Who do you imagine you are going to marry? Mrs. Royal with her six children? A fine match that would be."

"There is just as much reason for me to marry her as there is for me to wed your daughter," I snapped back, bristling at the implied disrespect towards the widow. "Any man who marries Mrs. Royal will be a fortunate man, whoever he may be."

Given that Mr. Royal had only been gone a month, I highly doubted Mrs. Royal had an interest in a second marriage so soon. She'd barely had time to grieve given that she had to worry about providing for her children.

"This is how it's going to be?" Burns exclaimed, his forehead furrowing into an angry glare. "How stupid are you? You would break Annie's heart? For no reason other than she is young?"

"You heard what I said, Mr. Burns," I said, refusing to answer such a manipulative question. "I don't think there is any more that needs to be said about it. Have a good afternoon, Mr. Burns."

To my surprise, Burns jabbed my chest with his finger. "You'll regret making a fool of me," he growled before spinning on his heel. "Annie! Let's go! There's chores to do."

The girl came running from the doorway. Her hopeful expression died as she glanced from her father to me. Burns grabbed her arm and strode off, dragging her along. "Stop dawdling, girl!" he snapped at her.

A sliver of guilt wormed its way into my mind as I watched them go. He wouldn't take out his frustration with me on his daughter, would he? Burns' mood had shifted so abruptly, I couldn't be sure. What could I do though? I wasn't going to marry a sixteen year old girl.

"That didn't sound like a friendly conversation," Collins commented, drawing my attention back to the general store. He was leaning against his broom in the doorway. "What was that about?"

Well, I could expect the territory to hear about it by this time tomorrow. However, there wasn't any reason everyone needed to know all the details. Without a word, I climbed into my wagon and released the brake. I set off, more than ready to put the town behind me.

~*~

After a meal of beans and salted ham, I sat in front of the fireplace. The sun was setting and all of the evening chores were finished. The three letters had been burning a hole in my pocket since I'd picked them up. I'd made myself wait since I wanted to give them my full attention.

The first bore the familiar handwriting of my sister, so I set it aside. So two. I'd had two responses to my advertisement. I tried to ignore my nervousness as I inspected the next envelope. It was neatly addressed but when I opened it, I found that the handwriting was completely different. An editor must have addressed it.

"Der Sir,

I am Mary Jones and I saw yer ad in the paper..."

My heart sank as I struggled through the poorly written message. The poor woman had clearly worked hard to write each mispelled word. She, as she plainly stated, had "no edcation", but was accounted a hard worker by her employers. The only other detail I could determine was that she wanted a husband.

Sighing, I let the paper fall to the table and leaned my head back. I hadn't put any specifications in the ad. After all, I hadn't wanted to be overly particular in seeking a wife. Maybe I should have?

I was fond of reading, especially in the long winter months when the weather kept me inside for hours at a time. I couldn't imagine spending years with someone who didn't have the same fondness for literature. At least, she should be capable of reading.

Guilt hit me. I shouldn't hold it against poor Miss Jones. She hadn't had the privilege of an education as I had. Perhaps she would learn to read and write once she came west. Was it possible such a project could bring us closer together? Or would she resent me trying to teach her? How would we get to know each other if she could not read my letters or answer my questions?

Troubled, I straightened up. Not for the first time, I wondered if I was doing the right thing. It had seemed a good idea to search for a bride out of the territory. What had I been thinking in sending that ad at all if this was the response I was going to get?

It took an effort to pick up the second response.

Again, the envelope was written by a different hand than that inside. However, the letter itself was as different from the first as could be. The words were formed in a neat hand. For a moment, I wondered if someone had written the letter on behalf of the woman. The thought fled as I read the straightforward and honest letter.

Miss Elizabeth Garrison was from Indiana and, if she was to be believed, came from a good family. Right from the start, she apologized for the awkward tone, admitting that she had never responded to an ad before. She asked if I had a farm and where I was located. Then, she told me a little bit about her family; how her father had recently passed away and her mother was ill. She was the oldest daughter and had four siblings, both older and younger than herself. The letter concluded with the information that I could respond to her via the Peru, Indiana post office.

Her letter intrigued me and I read it through twice before I set it down. Had the death of her father been the reason she had written to me? Did she fear for what her future would be? Surely her brothers would look after her. It was surprising that a woman from a good family had not found a beau from among her neighbors.

With a scoff, I shook my head to get rid of the idea. Perhaps she had an unwelcome suitor, much how I had been pursued by the Burns. And, I couldn't forget that the country had been torn apart by war and many men of my generation hadn't returned home.

Sighing, I folded the letter and set both missives side by side. Now it was my choice, and what a decision I had to make!

A desperate woman who was likely trying to escape a harsh p[ostion for a better one, or a woman who wouldn't know how a farm worked. Or perhaps I should wait and see if I received any other responses. I could even give it up as a futile venture.

All I could see were pitfalls no matter what I decided.

Even if the Burns family hadn't begun pushing their sixteen-year-old daughter on me, the thought of a wife had been on my mind for some time. Eight years alone while I proved my claim had been filled with hard work. Neighbors and the growing little town had kept loneliness mostly at bay.

Now that the land was mine, my thoughts had turned to the future. The prospect of sharing my life with someone who could help face the challenges of frontier life was an appealing one. The challenge was finding a woman who wasn't afraid to learn in a community where there were few females.

"Well," I said out loud. Over the last couple of years, I'd started talking to myself and to the animals in the barn. At least it broke the silence and sometimes it helped me make a decision to hear it psken. "Maybe I should write to them both and see what happens."

Of course I would be upfront with both women that I was writing to more than one lady. Hopefully, they would understand and the time between letters wouldn't discourage them. And with any luck, there wouldn't be any letters lost along the way!

I reached for the bottle of ink and my precious store of paper. There was no time better than the present to begin.

~*~

Dear Miss Garrison,

Thank you for your letter. I agree that it is a bit awkward to not only meet someone through letters, but also share personal details to get to know someone. I am willing to do so, if you are. There is no reason to rush when it comes to something that concerns the rest of our lives.

My name is Noah Coleman. I have been in the Wyoming territory for eight years now. I came west to claim a homestead then, and I have now proved up my claim. My land is mine free and clear.

Do you know how a person proves—that's short for improving—their claim? The most important part is to build a dwelling and then plant a crop. It wasn't too hard to build a house. It's small but keeps out the wind and cold in the winter, so I'm satisfied with it. I also have a barn that I built last year for my horsea and cow.

It was a bit harder to keep a crop from failing. There are so many things that can go wrong that are out of my control! The second year, my wheat crop withered in the summer heat. The weather can turn against you at any moment. When the ground is hard...well, I'm not afraid to confess that I had some anxious nights and wondered what would happen next.

But now I have met the requirements. Well, I met them three years ago and have continued to improve my land however I can. I have kept the crops, but I'm shifting more to raising animals. I think cattle will do well, but there is only so much a person can do alone.

I would like to know more about your family. It must be nice to be close to them. I have a sister. Obviously, it has been many years since I saw her. We keep in contact through letters, which is better than nothing...

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

91K 6.1K 15
With the fruits of a successful season safely stowed, whaling captain Robert Thorpe reaches a milestone. The treasures of the sea will buy him a ship...
384K 15.5K 137
Fern is the younger sister of a famous author known for 'The Promise Under The Moon.' At just fourteen, she was the first to read her sister's debut...
40.6K 3.4K 32
*Book 1 in the Isaacson Trilogy* Gunnar Isaacson, a berserker who faints at the sight of his own blood, works as a US Marshal in Old West Wyoming ter...
576K 33.9K 43
A younger sister cannot wed before an older sister. It's a law of their society, a rule vehemently obeyed by prominent families in the nobility, and...