Masters of the Game (Sutherla...

Par greenwriter

The fate of the entire kingdom lies in the hands of the masters of the game. And they are all women. ***** Wh... Plus

I | Darcy
II | Spies
III | Weapons
IV | The High Priestess
V | The Calm
VI | Beware of Rumors
VII | New Players
VIII | The First Moves
IX | The Regent
X | Children
XI | Monday Night
XII | Blackballed
XIII | Blindfolds
XIV | Pieces
XV | The Rulers
XVI | Vandenbergs
XVII | Horizons
XVIII |Family
XIX | Arrivals
XX | Ships
XXI | The Lives We Lost
XXII | To Love, to Greed
XXIII | Sisters
XXIV | Complications
XXV | For Freedom
XXVI | Belles and Soldiers
XXVIII | Choices
XXIX | Pride and Power
XXX | Ships and Allies
XXXI | Dinner
XXXII | Truce and Fire
XXXIII | A Different Opera
XXXIV | In Ten Days
XXXV | Ten Days Later
XXXVI | Trapped
XXXVII | And Then Nothing
XXXVIII | Brother
XXXIX | Mother
XL | Children
XLI | The Evil and the Bad
XLII | Trades
XLIII | Child
XLIV | Autumn
Author's Note
[FREE PREVIEW] The Artemis - I. The Goddess
The Artemis - I. The Goddess
The Artemis - II. The Governess
The Artemis - III. The Maid
The Artemis - IV. The Wicked Secrets
The Artemis - V. The One True Friend
The Artemis - VI. The Grand Scheme
[FREE PREVIEW] Dainty Dalliance - I. Lady Camila Comhar
Dainty Dalliance - I. Lady Camila Comhar
Dainty Dalliance - II. Secret Trysts
Dainty Dalliance - III. An Offer From a Lord
Dainty Dalliance: IV. Let the Lessons Begin
Dainty Dalliance: V. Lesson: Kiss
Dainty Dalliance: VI. Boundaries
Dainty Dalliance: VII. Dear Friend
Dainty Dalliance: VIII. Crossing Lines
Dainty Dalliance: IX. Lovers

XXVII | Summer

5.6K 656 72
Par greenwriter

"I know understand why we have to do this," Prince Emory said, staring straight into West's eyes. Sasha sat quietly in one corner of the room where a woman should be during conversations between men.

"I do," said West with a smile. His leg was crossed over the other, both arms resting on his chair. The prince mirrored him, smiling equally.

"My aunt is quite adamant about getting her daughter back."

"Of course," West said. "As we are about getting both Royals back."

"Fret not, they are in safe hands." Prince Emory threw Sasha a glance, then just as quickly ignored her presence.

"You did not have to resort to this," West said. "We would have gladly handed Gabrielle Shaw."

"It was not my idea," Emory said, but Sasha did not believe him. The prince was wise. But he was also desperate. A man clinging on to his father's power so he could one day have it. He wanted to show the Circus what he could do. However, it was not clear how much control the queen had over him.

"We're hoping for a pleasant exchange," said West, standing to his feet. The prince did the same. West bowed.

Emory noted the reluctant bow and chuckled, shaking his head. "I would hate to be your enemy when the time comes, Blackwood."

"I fear the same, Your Highness."

With his impending departure, the prince's stiff posture loosened. He took a deep breath and let out a long breath. "Is there a chance that you will surrender Reginald?"

West smiled. "Is there a chance your father will step down?"

At this, Emory laughed loudly. "There is, but you and I both know the power is not with him. It's on the other side of the family."

"We understand."

"I hope Leo will someday be gracious enough and join us. I would love to meet him."

"He's currently occupied."

"A pity," Emory said, clucking his tongue. "I heard he wants to marry my sister."

"It's a joke to spite his father."

"A joke I would consider," Emory replied. "Perhaps what we need is a union."

Sasha stood as the two men walked to the doors.

"Congratulations on your child," said Emory. "I heard you have an heir."

"We do, yes," West said.

"Good for you. Keep him well, Blackwood."

"Is that a threat?"

"Depends on how you see it." Emory stopped at the threshold of the doorway. His guards, all five of them, were outside. "Please deliver Gabrielle Shaw safe and sound and you shall have your Royals back."

The moment Emory left, Sasha approached her husband, and they both walked out the doors to the garden. He took her hand as they strolled down the familiar path walk.

"I know you don't want to give up on Gabrielle," he said, kissing the back of her hand. "But I agree with Darcy."

"That Gabrielle is a useless piece?"

He chuckled. "I would not put it that way, but Darcy's argument makes sense."

"Better to give up one useless piece for the two we can use—of course, her argument is sound," she said with a shake of her head. "What did Shaw think?"

"He's still hoping his sister will make the right choice. Otherwise, he knows that his family will take care of his sister better than they would Worthington and Berthon."

"We should definitely get Worthington back. His sister has written us a rather long threat."

He kissed her temple. "Of course."

"And we need to move Reginald. He's getting bored."

"Leo will join him. I'm certain his boredom shall end soon."

"Don't give me a nightmare, darling. Not while I'm awake."

West laughed. Sasha smiled, half of her thinking about Gabrielle and the choice she would make.

*****

"Why do you have to make it difficult?" Ellise asked.

They had reached Greene's estate and were preparing to cross to Islefield. All the while, Gabrielle had been very uncooperative.

Not getting an answer, Ellise pointed at the dress on the bed. "That's just a dress. You put it on and you are still the same person."

The woman stared her up and down with raised brows. "I don't see you in one."

"That's because I am not yet in one," she said. "Put on the dress."

"Or what?"

"Or I'll have Fairborne do it for you."

Gabrielle's jaw tightened. Ellise smiled and stepped back. "I'll be back in half an hour. By then, I hope we shall both be in a dress."

Thirty minutes later, Robert and Rider stood silently on the threshold of the room while the two women, one dressed in a green dress, the other in blue, stared at each other. It was the oddest encounter they had to witness. Both women looked utterly uncomfortable.

"Now that we are off to a good start, may I proceed in relaying our plans?" Ellise asked.

Gabrielle may have been stripped of her shirt and breeches, but not her pride. She kept her silence.

"You will join us in Islefield where your family is waiting."

Robert did not expect Gabrielle's reaction. He expected her to be surprised, yes, but he did not expect the flash of panic that crossed her eyes.

"Why would you hand me over to them?" Gabrielle asked.

"Because they have two of our own. Quite clever of them, actually. Don't you agree?" Gabrielle did not answer. "But," Ellise said, pausing at the word until Gabrielle met her gaze, "if you do not wish to join them, I have another plan."

Gabrielle scoffed. "What makes you think I will not join them?"

Ellise shrugged. "For one, the Vandenbergs are out to get Belcourt."

"So are you."

"Well, no longer. The Royal Circus and your family have reached a temporary truce. We are not to intrude in their plans to reclaim Belcourt from Arielle and we, the Circus, will stop Napoleon's army from setting foot on Sutherland."

"You will stop the French so Reginald can return to power."

"That's what Reginald wants, yes. But that does not mean the Royal Circus has to agree. Unlike the women of Belcourt, we get to vote on things."

"But don't you serve the true king of this kingdom, as you call him?"

"Of course. But there are two of them, you see. Reginald is one, and the other is his heir. Leo wants something else, and he won the vote of the majority."

What Ellise said was true. Leo wanted something else. It was preposterous, but it made sense. At this point, priorities had shifted, much to Reginald's disappointment. He wanted to return to the throne as soon as possible, but as soon as possible was not possible. There were too many factions, most of whom favoring the French because of Belcourt. The Vandenbergs and the Royal Circus were the minorities now.

It was no longer important what Reginald wanted. "It's just his ego," Leo had told them. "Or he might be senile. Why should we blindly follow him?" And he told them of his plans for the future. Once the Vandenbergs got Belcourt and once Napoleon was no longer a threat. "But first, I need to talk to the old man. Get his blessings, you know. And I have to first explain about the voting. I'm afraid he doesn't know how it works and he should honor it, king or not," he added before he left to join his father.

And so here they were, making a different deal with Gabrielle Shaw.

"Well? Do you want to hear my other plan?" Ellise asked.

"Do I have a choice?" Gabrielle gritted out.

"That's the point, Gabrielle," Ellise said. "I'm giving you a choice."

"And what are my choices?"

"One, as I've said, is you join your family. We get our Royals, your family gets you back." Ellise stepped closer. "The other choice requires you to join us."

"You're crazy."

"You'll understand my reason once you hear me out." Gabrielle waited, jaw clenching. "We have a ship full of Soldiers. The ones we captured before you reached Sutherland." At this, Gabrielle's face softened. "We need someone who can make them believe they're being saved, and then use them to scare away a ship full of French soldiers. And once that's done, you can join whoever you wish. Go back to your family or go home to Belcourt with the rest of the Soldiers on that ship. Just one mission for the Circus, that's all." A tense silence followed.

"Don't you have enough men to deal with the French?"

"Unfortunately, we don't have enough who can fight. Think about it. We'll deliver you to the Vandenbergs as promised to get our Royals. We'll leave on the second day. If you wish to join us, be there before midnight."

*****

It was easy. All it took was hours of chipping the edges of one brick with the end of their spoons and forks. They worked between meals, after they quickly ate their meals (and sometimes during) and before the Servants would take their empty plates again. Just one brick and then it became easier.

One, two, three bricks. Five... ten. Until it the hole was big enough for Leila to squeeze out of. The brick wall, as Esther hoped, led into a dark cupboard and the cupboard led straight into the hallway.

It was too easy, they both thought, that it made them suspicious. What if someone was waiting somewhere, expecting exactly for something like this to happen?

But they needed to take the risk, Esther had said. If they wanted to get out of there, they had to. And so Leila, after the third night of planning, squeezed herself through the hole and sneaked into the empty hallway.

Not a soul was in sight.

She knew where the tower was and where Esther wanted her to go. The Village, she said. Leave a message for a certain Servant, she said.

Leila headed down the stairs, but she did not take the direction that would lead her out of the Palace. With hurried, muted steps, she took the series of corridors she knew would be empty in this hour of the night. Until she emerged into the marbled hallway she knew quite well.

Esther was far away, probably hoping Leila was doing exactly what she wanted. And Arielle may kill her for good this time if she caught her.

But Leila was far wiser than her two aunts—one Albert trusted and the other he did not like so much. One Leila once trusted, and one she did not know much. One who stole her throne, the other intending to steal it again.

Arielle and Esther were not the best choices, of course.

So why not play both?

*****

Ruby enjoyed the chilly wind that swept the schooner. Once more, she was far away from home. She closed her eyes, hoping Sheridan was safe.

"Ah, there you are," Crystal, another Belle, stood beside her. "I did not know you're attending the Islefield party, Ruby. Are you back with a mission?"

"I am, yes," she said, eyes scanning the scattered guests on the deck. She was here because Aaron invited her, but she was also here because she had to talk to Summer. The woman missed no Islefield parties. "I'm hoping to get reacquainted with Summer."

"But Summer's not here."

"I'm certain she is. Belle or not, she should be here."

Crystal blinked at her with confusion. "Are you jesting, Ruby?"

"Whatever do you mean?"

"Belle or not?"

"Yes. Summer, Belle or not, will never miss Islefield."

"Why would she not be a Belle?" Then Crystal laughed, stepping closer that her blond hair almost touched Ruby's nostrils. "Darling, don't tell me you don't know."

"Know what?"

Her question caused Crystal to step back stiffly, face completely guarded. "Well, if you do not know, then there must be a reason. I will not be the one to talk."

"Good Lord, Crystal, tell me!" she charmingly prodded.

Crystal shook her head, her smile returning. "Darling, we are Belles. We know when to talk and when to shut up."

"But—"

"If you want answers, ask the Mistress."

"Jade is not here."

"Then ask her once we return home!" Crystal patted her cheek. "Ruby, dear, I missed you. Things had been quite a bore without you. I'm glad you're back."

When they arrived on the island, Ruby was still as confused as she was after her interaction with Crystal.

"Whatever bothers you, I hope you tell me," Aaron whispered beside her. "You've been quiet."

"Aaron, do you know if Summer is attending?"

"Why?"

"I was hoping to enjoy her acquaintance, of course. It had been months since I last saw her."

"She's not coming, I'm afraid."

"Summer never misses Islefield parties."

"Well, this year she is. I heard she's with Ridgemonton. And hear this—" He leaned closer and murmured, "They're spending a week in an abbey. Said they're cleansing their souls. Can you believe those two? Of the many odd things they could do, they chose an abbey for a retreat!"

Aaron followed his statement with a laugh, but Ruby did not. She froze where she stood, realizing Summer's mission.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

646K 62.8K 45
When the obnoxious doctor and notorious drunkard Oliver St. Vincent meets the woman he has always been set to find, he discovers her secrets and he i...
2.2K 364 62
Royally disastrous... Audrey-Rose is strong headed, confident and adventurous. Everything a Duke could ever need in a woman. Especially when he needs...
11.3K 551 26
Ro - or now Princess Aurora as she goes by, has finally been reunited with her family as Princess of Alluvia. But her fairytale is not complete yet...
Diana Par Doir-Rovers

Roman Historique

5K 2.4K 36
Why hold into something that is better letting go. Their both scared to lose what they really can't have. Although it's better to let go of it comple...