Just Good Friends

By actressjp95

Samantha Goode and Daniel "Diggy" Simmons have been best friends since birth. When a new girl arrives at scho... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Epilogue

Chapter 59

5 1 0
By actressjp95

SAM's POV

~Weekend~

The month of February is here and things were moving a bit too fast for my liking. This month, my mom is gonna get married... in two weeks to be exact. Also, Antonio moves into our house this week, so instead of spending a relaxing Saturday in my bed, I'm helping him move all his boxes from his old house into ours. For him to have lived alone with no kids, he sure had a lot of stuff. It's not even 9 o'clock and I'm already done with all this -- and I ain't even eat no breakfast either. it's gonna be a long day...

Me, my mom, and Antonio made several trips back and forth between the house and the moving truck, carrying plastic containers and cardboard boxes of his things and setting them down in the kitchen and the larger dining room area. Occasionally, he would direct us to put specific boxes in specific locations -- like his old football trophies from high school needed to be gently placed on the dining room table to prevent breaking, and his movie collection needed to rest on the couch so he could easily sort them and watch one later. Three larger containers of his wardrobe were taken to the master bedroom that he would now share with my mama along with a box filled with various sneakers and penny loafers. Since he sold most of his big furniture items, thankfully there wasn't anything crazy to drag inside the house except for his work desk and ergonomic chair which he liked so much he apparently couldn't give it away.

After an hour, we had finally cleared the moving truck of Antonio's things. Mama and I took a rest in the kitchen while he locked the moving truck he had rented for the day and got some other things from his car.

"You did good, sweetie. Thank you for helping move Antonio's belongings in..." my mama praised me while giving me a small hug around the shoulders.

"Yeah, yeah... where's my payment at? I prefer cash only," I respond back.

Antonio enters the front door with a smile, carrying a white box in his hands. "Did someone say payment? I hope donuts are okay."

I gasp while my eyes practically bulge out of my head. I run to his side as he opens the box of delicious treats and sets it on the kitchen table.

"DONUTS?! Oh, now you're speaking my language..." I say. Without hesitation, I grab a raspberry-filled treat and bite into it. "Mmm... heaven."

Antonio chuckles at my reaction.

"Girl, you're so dramatic. Thank you, Antonio. Them donuts are almost as sweet as you," mama coos into his ear while wrapping her arms around his neck.

"No problem, baby..." Antonio coos back as he pecks her on the lips. I tune them out by burying my face in more donuts.

"Let me get some coffee going... Sam, slow down with them donuts," my mama says.

"Thanks for your help, Sam," Antonio tells me, "I know you probably didn't plan to wake up so early on a weekend, but I really appreciate your hard work. You're a good daughter."

"No problem..." I say with my mouth full, causing Antonio to chuckle again. Suddenly, the doorbell rings.

"Yeah. Now be an even better daughter and go answer the door," my mama orders while handing Antonio a cup of coffee. I sigh and do as she says, walking through the foyer and opening the front door, peering outside. That's when I see a lady in a light blue uniform walking down our driveway towards her mail truck.

"Oh, the mail's here..."

I peer into the small black mailbox mounted to the front of our house and grab the handful of mail as the mail truck drives to the next house on our block. After closing and locking the door, I walk inside and toss the mail on the kitchen table before grabbing a chocolate frosted donut.

"They're early today..." Mama notes while grabbing the pile of mail and filing through it in her hands.

"That reminds me, I gotta request my mail to get sent here now..." Antonio comments. "Pretty soon, both of our names will be on the mail at our new house... Mr. and Mrs. Martinez. It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?" He asks with a grin, peering down at my mama who has an excited expression frozen on her face. Her jaw was practically on the floor.

"Samantha... you got a letter from UCLA Admissions..." she says with excitement in her voice. She hands the letter to me. "Open it."

My body tenses as I glance at the letter in her hand, and I slowly grab it from her. UCLA... I applied to them last year. They were the only school I was interested in and the only school I've always dreamed playing ball at. This letter would decide my future. I slip my finger underneath the envelope flap and tear across the top, quickly taking out the letter and opening it to read.

"'Dear Samantha: We are pleased to offer you admission to UCLA for the Fall term...' -- I GOT IN!! I'M GOING TO UCLA!" I announce with an excited expression on my face.

"What?! Baby, you got in?!" Mama tap dances with joy and runs around the kitchen counter to give me a huge hug. "I'm so proud of you!"

"And they're offering me an athletic scholarship, too!" I announced with joy. This is the happiest I've felt in a while.

We were smiling really big as Antonio also came over and gently wrapped his arms around us. "Congratulations, Sam. That's amazing," he says.

"That's so amazing... thank you, God. God is good!" Mama rejoices while wrapping me in her arms even tighter than before and shaking me left and right. "This is going to be an amazing month... I can feel it! Ah! My baby's going to college!"

She practically screams in my ear, causing me to squirm in her very tight embrace.

"Agh, my ear..."

"This calls for a celebration, oh my goodness," she says before finally letting me go. "Let's go out to eat to celebrate your college acceptance. You can have whatever meal you want."

As tempting as that sounded... "Eh... I don't really feel like leaving the house today. I already had to wake up early - no offense, Antonio..." I groan.

Antonio shakes his head. "No worries. I understand. I'm not a morning person either unless I have to be."

"Ugh. But we have to do something~" This time my mom was the one whining.

"How about we order out?" Antonio suggests. "We can get some food delivered from your favorite place and eat in? No one has to leave the house. I'll pay for it!"

"Ooh, let's get some pizza and some wings!" I say with a smile.

Antonio checks his watch. "It might be a little early for that, but we can make it work. I know some people that can move some things around..." He grins while mama sizes him up.

"Just how many people do you know? You keep saying you got some people... what kinda people you got?"

Antonio chuckles. "Ay, I told you. I got a good reputation around this area. People love me. I got a few buddies in different places that don't mind doing me favors."

"Mmkay, Mr. Good Reputation."

"Sam, do you want anything else? I know the owner of this bakery who makes the best cheesecake in town."

"Ooh! Yes, cheesecake please!" I clap my hands as my mouth starts to water just thinking about it.

"Okay. A couple cheesecake slices to go..."

"What do you say we watch a movie together while we eat? We can relax a little bit and have family time before we work on putting Antonio's stuff away," Mama asks. 

I shrug and look between them. "Can I pick the movie?"

"Sure, baby. You got into college! My baby's going to UCLA..." Mama says with a proud smile, but then she slowly looks glum. A tiny tear rests in the corner of her eye. "My baby's going to UCLA..."

She opens her arms and walks towards me with a sad face, but I quickly run out of the kitchen and into the living room to switch on the TV. Antonio chuckles as he follows mama out of the kitchen.

***

DIGGY's POV

Today was a busy one. I just got home from shopping with my younger siblings. We had to pick up our formal wear for Mrs. Martha's wedding this month. My parents pretty much left me to babysit my siblings while they went to a church conference this morning. Once we got home from the mall, I decided to play some video games with the little runts before sending them to do their homework while I also finished mine. 

It was a little after 5pm when I heard my parents finally arrive home from their conference. I was laying on my bed, one hand resting above my head, reading the homework assignment for one of my classes when I heard a knock on the door.

"Yeah?"

The door opens and my mom appears with a tired smile. "Hey, baby. How is everything?"

"Hey, ma... it's good. How was your conference?" I ask, looking up from my textbook.

"Oh, it was real nice," she replies while stepping into my room holding her high heels in her hand. She glances at my textbook. "So you got Russy and Miley to do their homework?"

"Yep. You know they gonna listen to me, or I'll put 'em in check..."

"That's good," she grins. "Well, how was shopping? Did they have everything ready? Did you try it on?"

"Yes and yes." I put my textbook away and fill her in on the details of our shopping. It went smooth as butter and everything fit nicely. Surprisingly, my siblings didn't complain about wearing their suit and dress; usually, those are the last things they want to wear, especially Russy. As for me, I don't mind dressing up every now and then. Shoot... especially since I look good in anything I wear.

"That's good. Did you take pictures? And send them to me and ya dad so we can see?"

"Yep. I got all that done. I got you," I assure her. She finally takes a breath.

"Ah... that's good. Thank you again, Diggy. I appreciate everything you do!"

"No problem..."

Just then, my cell phone vibrated. I picked it up and saw a text message from Dana:

DANA: Have you seen that new movie with Denzel Washington at the theatre?

"Ah, I can't believe Martha is getting married. It's only been a couple years since her divorce, but she's so happy with Antonio. He seems like a good guy. A handsome family man, you know?" My mom says as I reply to the text message.

"Mhm..."

ME: That crime movie where she shoots everybody up? Nah, but it looks cool.

"I'm just so happy to see her start this new journey. How is Sam doing, by the way? I haven't heard from her in a while. She hasn't come over the house in a minute either," my mom asks while fanning herself.

"Uh... she's good."

"Do you know what she's been up to since basketball season ended?"

"Mm... just same old stuff I guess. Homework like everybody else," I reply, disinterested in where this conversation might be going.

"Oh, okay. Do you have any plans to meet up any time soon? You, Sam, Khalil, and Becca? You used to do that pretty frequently..."

I release a sigh as my phone vibrates with another text.

DANA: Would you wanna see it with me? I'll buy the popcorn if you get the tickets ;)

"Everyone's kinda been busy lately with school stuff... you know, with graduation coming up and everything."

"Oh, yeah. That's right. You guys probably have tests and scholarship applications and all that stuff. I remember those days... your senior year flies by fast," she replies with an understanding nod.

"Yeah..."

ME: What day?

"Who's blowing up ya phone? Khalil?" my mom asks.

"Uh... nah. It's just a friend," I reply while putting my phone down on the bed.

"Just a friend? Is it a female friend?" My mom asks while lifting her eyebrow and grinning.

"Mom... why you so nosey? I don't ask who you be texting..."

"Okay, okay... you don't gotta be like that. I'm just curious who you're talking to..."

There's a small silence before my phone vibrates again. I glance at my phone and then up at my mom, who is wearing a smirk on her face. I slowly grab my phone and check the message.

DANA: I'm free tonight...

"What happened to that one girl? Sweet girl. What was her name? Julia?"

I scrunch up my nose. "Julie..."

"Yes, that's right. She came over a few times. Are you two still talking?"

"That's been over, ma..." I reply in a stern tone, rolling my eyes.

"Oop," she covers her mouth. "I'm sorry... I forgot. So you've broken up for good?"

"Yes."

"Do you still talk to her?"

"Not really..."

"Alright. You don't talk to me as often anymore, so sometimes I don't know. That's why I gotta ask all these questions, to check in, you know? See how you're feeling," she tries to explain but I scoff.

"You sound like Sam..."

"Sam?"

"She was complaining that I don't talk to her anymore and I treat her like a stranger..."

"Oh. Are you guys still fighting? I thought whatever issues y'all had was in the past?"

"Me too..." I shrug. "I'm just trying to focus on my studies and not get caught up in girl drama once again."

My mom takes a step closer as I sulk. "I understand, baby. You know I'm here to talk, alright? About anything."

"I know, ma. Thanks." I look up at her and grin.

"I love you, Diggy."

"Love you too, ma."

"Alright. Your dad and I bought some dinner downstairs. Take a break from studying and come down so we can eat as a family," she says.

"Alright."

She smiles and walks out of the room. "And wash ya hands!"

"Alright!" I sigh and pick up my cell phone, texting back Dana.

ME: I'm kinda busy tonight. But maybe next week?

***

We were eating at the dinner table, talking about random things.

"...I just wanna say I'm so thankful to have my whole family together like this. If I don't say it enough, I just want y'all to know that I love every one of you and I'm proud to be the daddy of this household," my dad says with a huge grin.

"Love you too, baby," my mom replied while holding his hand.

"Speaking of family, since Diggy has come down from basketball champion cloud nine, tomorrow we will be going to church like a family again."

"Yayyyyy!" My little sister Miley cheers.

"What?" I reply with zero excitement.

"Is that the response you are supposed to have for Jesus?" My dad asks with a lift of his eyebrow.

My younger brother Russy chuckled.

"Nah, it's just... do I have to go?" I ask with a pained expression.

"You got somewhere else to be?" My dad replies.

I try to come up with a lie, but I got nothing. I sigh and continue eating. "No..."

"Good. It'll be fun! It's first Sunday so you'll have communion and get your body sanctified and purified by the holy spirit!" He says while trying to tickle my side. I move away from his touch.

"Alright, alright!"

"Great. Plus, it'll be nice to see my oldest son as much as I can before he goes off to college. You can't get away from us that quickly," my dad says with a grin. "Oh--! You got a letter in the mail, by the way. It's over on the counter. It seems important."

I glance over at the counter to see a lonely letter. Wiping my hands on a napkin, I get up and go check the letter. As soon as I read the front, my eyes grew wide. "It's from UCLA Admissions!"

My mom quickly turns around to face my direction. "What?! Oh my gosh, open it!"

"Did you get accepted?" Russy asks while also turning his body around in his seat to glance over at me.

I quickly tear open the letter and skim through it. "I got accepted! I got into UCLA!!"

"Oh, honey, that's wonderful!" My mom enthuses. "Bring it over here so we can see."

I walk over with the acceptance letter in hand and show everyone. My mom gives me a hug and kiss; Russy gives me a fist bump; Miley was cheering with her fork in the air.

"I always believed in you, Diggy... I'm proud of you, man," my dad tells me as I wear a huge smile.

"Thanks, man. Wow... I'm so happy right now. I'm really going to UCLA..." I take a seat at the dining table with a huge smile on my face. My head felt like it was floating.

"Congratulations, Diggy!" My mom says. "This calls for a celebration. Russy, go get that thing from the freezer."

"Ooh, right now? Say less," Russy jumps up from the table and practically runs into the kitchen. I glance between my parents looking confused. When Russy returns seconds later, he's holding a chocolate ice cream cake in his hands.

"Ooh, cake!" Miley screams.

"Did y'all get that for me?" I ask in disbelief.

"We sure did. We saw your letter in the mail earlier this morning and figured it could only be good news. So after our conference ended, your mom and I thought it'd be nice to grab some dessert along with this food to celebrate our son going to college," my dad explains.

"Wow... you guys didn't have to do all this," I reply, still in disbelief.

"Well, we did. You're welcome," my dad smiles while patting me on the shoulder.

"Thanks..." I reply with a grateful smile.

"Can I cut the cake now?" Russy asks impatiently.

***

JULIE's POV

~That Same Night~

"Julie? I brought dinner! Come down, let's eat!" 

My mother's voice came yelling from the kitchen. I was in my room scrolling through social media, feeling bored out of my mind. It was a weekend and there was nothing to do. Nowhere to go. No one to hang out with. I rolled off of my bed and walked downstairs where I was greeted by the smell of something fishy.

"There you are. I decided to get something quick on the way home. Your father is still at work and won't be back 'til late, so it's just us tonight," she enthuses while unwrapping the bag of takeout food and taking off her dark blue suit jacket, hanging it on the back of the kitchen stool.

As I walk closer to the kitchen table, the smell of fish causes me to cringe. "Sushi for dinner...?"

"Yeah! I figured you might enjoy your favorite food tonight. I even told them to put extra salmon just for you."

I plug my nose with my fingers, feeling a sudden wave of nausea. "Oh, um... I'm not really feeling like fish tonight. Could we have something else?"

"What? But you love sushi. Have a seat," she says without making eye contact with me and grabbing some glass plates from the cupboard. I hold my stomach and slowly back away from the table, feeling beads of sweat form on my forehead. Why am I feeling like this? I haven't gotten nauseous in a while but the smell of this sushi is... insane.

"I... can't..."

I run upstairs to the bathroom, shut the door quickly, and practically place my entire head into the toilet as I vomit.

***

I lay underneath my covers while watching some random videos on my phone. After I threw up, I drank a lemon-lime soda and made a simple deli sandwich. I told my mother I was feeling sick and didn't want to do anything else tonight. I didn't really feel like eating, but she forced me to put something in my stomach. 

There was a knock on my door before it opened. "Julie. Did you finish your sandwich?" My mother glances at the empty plate sitting on top of my drawer.

"Yeah..."

"Are you alright?" She asks with a frown.

I glance up at her, feeling a bit weird about her concern. "Yeah. I just must have a little cold or something..."

She nods and walks into my room, grabbing my empty plate. "Is that all? You seem kind of stressed lately... not to mention you missed a couple of days of school. And now you're sick--"

"I'm fine."

"A cold is normal, but you've never missed school--" she presses.

"Are we doing this again? I thought we had that conversation last week?" I bite back.

"We did but... I'm still worried..."

There was a silence. I felt her eyes on me but I was busy looking at my phone. She sighs and takes a seat near the end of my bed. Suddenly, she perks up.

"Hey, I think I know what could make everything better. Shopping! We have your father's brother's wedding coming up and what a perfect excuse to spend money on being pretty! What do you say? Maybe tomorrow we could have a girls' shopping spree! A little retail therapy!"

"I don't really feel like it..."

"I know you feel that way today, but tomorrow may be different. Shopping is a great destresser, you know," she continues with that signature know-it-all look.

I sigh and roll my eyes. Doesn't really seem like she'll leave me alone until I agree. "Sure..."

"Good? Good! Ah, it'll be so much fun! You'll be back to normal in no time!" She exclaims before bouncing excitedly out of my room.

***

~The Next Day, Mall~

My mom was waiting outside the dressing room as I tried on the sixth dress that she had picked out for me. Usually, shopping and trying on clothes would be a fun, therapeutic experience for me, but today I just wasn't feeling it. I had too much on my brain. I finally slipped the light pink dress over my head and looked at myself in the mirror. The dress was beautiful. It was a halter gown, sleeveless, made of super soft silky material with a matching belt around the waist. It was simple yet formal. Usually, I'd go for something a little bit more sparkly, but this dress will do.

I step outside of the dressing room and show my mother.

"Help me zip it up," I say as I turn my back to her. She zips up the dress and then moves me to face her again. "What do you think?"

She scrunched up her face, looking at the dress. "Mm... it's alright. Kind of simple, don't you think? I love the color but it's missing something."

"I like it. It's simple, but that's not always a bad thing. Plus, I wouldn't wanna show up the bride herself..." I confidently joke. My mother chuckles.

"Hm. That's true. But you also don't want to look like you just picked the first thing you saw at some thrift store. We can do better than that. Here. Try on this one..."

She presents another dress on a rack. It was metallic and gold. Sleeveless.

"Wow..."

"I know, right? This will definitely turn heads."

"No, I mean. It's just a wedding. It's not like we're going to New York Fashion Week. This seems a bit over the top," I reply as I stare down the dress.

"Not just any wedding. It's your uncle. We have to look our best since we're supporting family," she explains while holding up the metallic dress against my body.

I sigh. "I don't even know him... why go through this much trouble?"

My mother blinks for a couple of seconds and steps back in surprise. Then she gasps. "That's right. You're too young to remember him, aren't you? I think the last time we saw your uncle was when you were a baby."

I nod my head, trying to remember my earliest memories as a child. I definitely don't remember any uncles.

"Well, that doesn't really matter because you'll meet him again and form new memories. Weddings are always so beautiful. To celebrate the love between two people is a gift from God. Remember that," she says.

"Whatever you say..." I reply.

"Eh, one day you'll find your future husband and you'll know what I mean. Oh. Maybe you've actually already found him," she suggests while eyeing me closely. "Are you dating someone?"

"Mom!" I roll my eyes and head back toward the dressing room, determined to take off this dress and change back into my clothes.

"What? It's just a question. You are, aren't you? You never tell us about your love life--"

"I don't have a love life. And why do you want to know anyway?"

"All mothers want to know. It's exciting!" She smiles in a goofy way while following me into the dressing room and locking the door. She helps me unzip my dress and change out of it. Being a dance kid since young, it wasn't weird to be in the dressing room with her like this. Before and after every dance competition, she'd help me get dressed, do my makeup, tie my shoes, etc. Of course, now that I'm older, she doesn't need to help as much. But I don't mind it.

"Well, there's nothing exciting about being single..."

"Oh..." My mother begins. "What happened to that handsome boy you brought over a few times? He came over to study, right? I thought that was gonna be my son-in-law."

"No, stop. That's cringey. Seriously? Don't say that."

"What was his name?"

I sigh as I throw my sweatshirt over my head. "That was Daniel..."

"Daniel! He was cute..."

"Can we talk about something else?" I reply as she clips the pink dress neatly back onto its hanger.

"Okay." 

Fully dressed in my regular, more comfortable clothes, I open the dressing room door and walk out onto the store's main floor. I look around at a few more dresses hanging up.

"Valentine's Day is coming close. Do you have a crush on anyone at school?" She asks with a hopeful smile. Her sudden interest in my love life is really freaking me out.

"No," I quickly reply. 

"You can tell me since your father is not around. I was your age once, I understand."

"I said can we talk about anything else. So please."

"Okay. Okay. Cranky pants..." She follows me around the store as we look at clothes. "Let's talk about your plan after graduation then. The Juilliard auditions are coming up very quickly. Do you have your materials ready?"

I internally sigh. I don't want to talk about love but I really don't want to talk about college. Especially, since I'm feeling kind of undecided these days. How can I tell her that I want to change my mind? Maybe take some time off and choose another path? How will I tell her that I'm pregnant?

"Um... materials... yeah."

"Okay. So you know what song and dance you're going to do? Maybe you could show them a cheer squad routine as well -- that'll make you kind of stand out, right? Show them that you can do ballet and contemporary, but you can also do some high-energy stuff..." My mother says.

"That could work..." I reply, not really giving her any other details. Mostly because there are no details. I haven't thought about my Juilliard audition at all since last year; I don't even think I want to audition anymore. I can't have a baby and go to school. It's just impossible.

"Have one of your cheer squad mates practice a routine with you. It's not that I think you need their help because you're already good, but you have to be perfect by the audition--"

"I know," I reply with a sharp tone.

"Okay. I know you know this already. It's my job to remind you," she replies. "This is your big chance. Once you pass that Juilliard audition, there'll be so many opportunities for you. We're all gonna be a thriving family real soon. Your father and I with the business, and you in the dance world. Can you imagine it?! Ah, so exciting!" She squeals with giddiness.

"Yeah... so exciting..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

196K 4.4K 27
Jaelyn Williams is starting her Sophomore year at a brand new school & in a whole new country. Chino Hills, California. • A LaMelo Ball Story COMPLE...
11.1K 260 44
Yes this is a Jah story
5K 79 22
MATTIA POLIBIO FANFIC. 𝗂𝗇 𝗐𝗁𝗂𝖼𝗁 𝖺 𝖻𝗈𝗒 𝖿𝗂𝗇𝖺𝗅𝗅𝗒 𝖽𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗅𝗈𝗉𝗌 𝖿𝗅𝖺𝗏𝗈𝗋 𝗂𝗇 𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝗍𝖺𝗌𝗍𝖾 𝗈𝖿 𝗀𝗂𝗋𝗅𝗌.
858K 39.9K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...