The Maid

By CamelotHealer

Rose Gilmartin leaves her home in London behind to work at her uncle's inn on the lonely Yorkshire moors. Hom... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine

Chapter Six

1.4K 127 10
By CamelotHealer

A/N: Ah, reviews! They gladden the heart! Thanks everyone, for your support and comments! I'm enjoying writing this story but I'll be glad to finish and write something new! SheWhoRidesHorses, you've got a bit of a surprise coming as to Bess' whereabouts, and Rosielaurel, I hope you won't be too disappointed when you find out where our innkeeeper's daughter is going. xoxo, CamelotHealer.

Chapter Six

Stunned, I stared at the empty bed. Where on earth had Bess gone?

Just then, there was a noise from outside. I stepped softly across to the window and opened it. 

Bess was running across the yard, looking like a wraith in her white nightgown. She was met by the stables by a man, who hugged her and then kissed her. Even from this distance I knew it was the man I'd spotted on his horse outside the stables.

So this was why Bess had seemed chary of Major Warrington. She had someone else. But who was he? And why was she meeting with him in secret?

As I stood there, I was reminded of my mother's saying, "You get more bees with honey than with vinegar, Rosie." If I wanted to find out the identity of Bess's sweetheart, I would have to ask her later on. Carefully, I pulled the window shut, making sure not to alert the couple on the ground below to the fact that someone had seen them.

"Rose?" My uncle's voice made me jump and spin around.

"Y-yes, Uncle?" I asked, trying desperately to slow my heart's racing pace.

"What's going on? Why isn't Bess in bed?" 

"She--she went to the lavatory," I said, a flash of inspiration entering my mind. "I was just retrieving something from her room and I happened to hear a noise. I went to the window to see if it was anything, but it was just my imagination."

Uncle Henry sighed and smiled. "Thank the Lord it's only that. I thought you were a burglar, sneaking about! Now go to bed and get some sleep! You've earned it!"

His kindly smile only increased my guilt about lying. But I was determined to find out the truth from Bess, even if I had to drag it out of her!

I woke up early this time and headed out to the barn to do the milking, as Bess was engaged in helping Dominic with the breakfast. Tim was nowhere in sight, and for that I was glad. I sat down on the stool next to the cow, who eyed me warily.

"Easy, girl," I said. I had milked a cow a couple of times before when I had taken a job at the dairy back home, but it had been a while since my last milking.

Thankfully the chore was completed without incident, and I got to my feet, ready to leave the barn, only to have Tim appear out of nowhere, standing in front of me. I yelped in fright.

"I thought Bess did the milking," he said, those unnatural eyes searching mine.

"You scared me!" I snapped, too frightened to be gracious. 

"Did you see anything?" he asked. "Did you?"

"You're crazy," I said. My heart began to beat so loudly I feared even he could hear it. "Let me pass." I tried to move past him, but he stood in my way.

"Answer me!" He stared at me, his eyes gleaming.

"Miss Gilmartin?" The voice made both of us turn. Private Walter Kent, the redcoat I had bumped into yesterday, was standing there, his grey-blue eyes concerned. "Are you alright?" He looked at Tim, who immediately smirked and began rubbing his hands together, humming tunelessly.

"I'm fine," I said, willing my hands to stop shaking. "Was there something you needed?"

"I was sent here to get Major Warrington," Private Kent said.

"He's inside. Come with me." We walked out of the barn and across the yard. As we did so, I noticed a bruise on his cheek, just under his eye. "What happened to you?"

He glanced at me and then put a hand up to his face, smiling a little. "It was just a bit of rough-housing at the barracks. It's nothing." There was a pause and then he spoke again. "I'm...sorry for what happened the other day."

I shook my head, surprised at getting a second apology. "That was nothing. Forget it."

"Friends then?" He smiled, making his entire face light up, and held out his hand.

I shook it. "Friends."

Major Warrington was sitting at one of the tables with Uncle Henry when we got inside the house, and he looked surprised. "Private Kent?" His eyes widened. "Don't tell me Colonel Norton has arrived already!"

"I'm afraid so, sir."

The major groaned and got to his feet. "It looks like I won't be able to stay for breakfast after all, Henry. I'm sorry."

"You know you're welcome any time, Major."

"You're too kind. Goodbye, Miss Elizabeth, Dominic, Miss Rose. Goodbye, Henry. Come on, Walter." The two redcoats headed for the door.

"You can call me Rose...if you like," I called out to Walter, feeling my cheeks turn scarlet as I said the words.

He turned around, a bit of a smile on his face. "I'd like that. Good-day...Rose."

Another busy day--and night--at the inn couldn't erase my memories of what I had seen the night before, or Tim's words in the barn. Had he been watching me? Had he been watching Bess? Or was it just the ravings of a simpleton? Whatever it was, he scared me, and I was resolved to stay as far away from him as I could, even if it meant Bess did the milking.

I was sitting in front of my dressing-table when there was a soft knock on the door. Bess came in, carrying a delicate china cup and saucer. "It's a little hot milk. I thought it might help you sleep."

"Thank you." I smiled at her and picked up my brush. 

"Would you like me to do your hair?" Bess asked. "Mama used to brush mine before bed when I was a little girl; it was very comforting."

"I'd like that; thank you." Truth be told, I'd missed Mam's strong, but smooth strokes of the brush through my hair. It had been a tradition for us, every night, and I missed that like anything, even though I loved the inn and its residents--for the most part.

There were a few moments of silence, and then I spoke up tentatively. "Bess, when did your mother die?"

"When I was seven. She took ill shortly after having my baby brother. They both died. Father was heartbroken."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry."

My cousin shook her head. "It's no matter. At least he had me. We ran the inn very well together, and then when I was about sixteen, Dominic came."

"Was he sent to the inn by his family too?"

"No, he was an orphan brought up by gypsies. They were kind people, but when they came to Yardley, the townsfolk turned on them. Dominic got sick while they were here, and when the townspeople threw them out, he was left behind. Father and I were the only ones who would take him in, and he's stayed with us ever since."

I felt a surge of sadness. "Does he ever talk about them?"

"No. He's very quiet on that subject. But he's one of the best helpers we've ever had, and like a little brother to me. I'd die before I let anyone hurt him." Bess' voice turned fierce on the last words.

The last question was difficult to ask, and I squirmed a bit. "Bess, do you mind if I ask you something?"

"What?" 

"Do you like someone else, and that's why you were so...standoffish towards Major Warrington?" 'Rude' would have been my first choice, and no doubt Mam's too, but I didn't want to make Bess angry.

She was silent for a while before replying. "Major Warrington is a good man. He's kind, and a gentleman, and well-respected by the townsfolk. But..." The brush kept running through my hair. "I don't want to marry him," she finished softly.

I couldn't hold back any longer. "Bess, I saw you last night. Running out to the stables and meeting a man. He was here the first night as well, looking up at your window. Is he the one you like?"

A little cliffhanger (laughs evilly)! You know what to do to get me to write more! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

586K 23.5K 22
Aleera was the typical 21 century woman, had her own house and ran her own business, living all by herself and without relying on anyone. She saw her...
170K 2.7K 11
She was good He was bad She cared what people think He cared less what people think She was his weakness He was her strength When they meet each oth...
18.1K 450 22
(COMPLETED) When Beatrice Bowers receives a call form her hometown of Derry, Maine she knows she must go back. When her and her childhood friends ar...