𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐓...

由 superwholock-queen

[1920s mafia AU] Gerard Way is a young, ambitious journalist in NYC, partly controlled by the mafia. His year... 更多

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue

Chapter 17

150 16 26
由 superwholock-queen

The next day, here I am, back to Prosecutor Toro's office. I didn't think I would be back so soon. I take a deep breath and follow Mr. Toro's secretary like I did yesterday. Mr. Toro greets me.

"Sorry for the bother," I say as we shake hands. "I am here to let you know that Dante D'Avanzo is linked to Taylor's death."

"Please take a seat." Mr. Toro motions at an armchair in front of his desk before he sits down. "Let's talk about this in details."

I sit down and tell the Prosecutor everything that Leo told me. I tell him how D'Avanzo was convicted, too.

"Let me guess. They didn't manage to prove him guilty because of a lack of evidence, and the charges were dropped..." Mr. Toro says.

"Huh? How do you know that?"

"It's nothing. Please carry on." He shakes his head.

"Well as you predicted, he was released six months later and the charges were dropped. I was also told that he was part of the Solazzo family. So, I suppose that the Solazzo family is also connected to all this."

"That makes sense," Prosecutor Toro agrees. "But some things could be... Give me a moment, please."

Mr. Toro interrupts himself and dives into his thoughts. I don't say a thing, afraid I might distract him. After what felt like ages, he finally looks back at me.

"Maybe I should tell you everything I have discovered up to this day. I have heard of this connection between the Solazzos and the D'Avanzos before. My research have shown that some political powers are in league with the mafia."

I bring my hand to my mouth. "You mean, politicians with the mafia?"

Mr. Toro nods. "Correct. There may be some suspicious agreement between them."

"May I know what politicians you are referring to?" I ask anxiously.

"...Christopher Williams."

His answer takes me aback. Counselor Williams? Hayley Williams' father?! I look at him, dumbfounded.

"Unbelievable, is it? But it's the truth, though I genuinely wished it wasn't the case."

"Are you saying that... Counselor Williams is involved with the mafia?" I ask again. I remember the nice, middle-aged man who helped me get inside the building of the gala I attended, back when I was still working with the Sunday News. I remember how much his daughter praised him for being a supportive father.

"I believe he is. But my investigations have been slow, due to his status. For now, I don't have any definitive proof."

If Mr. Williams is involved with the mafia, maybe I should investigate him too. Or should I focus on D'Avanzo? Mr. Toro peers at me as though he had read my thoughts.

"Mr. Way. Gerard. You have means to investigate that I don't. You are a youthful journalist. If you want a suggestion from me, you have the possibility to interview Mr. Williams in order to approach him. He won't slip and reveal anything, but from what I've understood, you don't mind... looking around when you need to. As a journalist, they won't suspect you. But you only can decide what you are comfortable with for the sake of the investigation. I don't want to put you at risk."

"Understood. I will consider it." I nod, though I wonder how to gain the trust of a man who sees dozens of journalists a day and has learnt to stay alert, as a politician and a potential mobster.

Seeing my doubts, Mr. Toro chuckles. "You have always caught my interest, Mr. Way. Do you know why?"

"Your interest? No, why?"

He smiles at me. "Because every time I see you, you remind me of the way I used to be. During my first year as a prosecutor, I was sent to investigate a case related to the mafia. A desperate mother came to us for help. Her son was dragged into a mob altercation and was murdered. That woman knew the identity of the murderer, but we had no evidence and so we closed the case. Tell me, Mr. Way, what would you have done, if you were me?"

"Well... If there wasn't enough evidence, I would have done my best to mind enough," I said humbly, knowing it wasn't as easy as it sounds.

"Exactly. But it's particularly hard to find evidence regarding mafia-related crimes."

"What did you do then?" I inquired.

"A friend of mine helped me obtaining elements once he heard about our problem."

"How did he manage to do that?"

"The murderer was his uncle," Mr. Toro answers.

"He denounced his uncle..." I mutter.

"He made the right choice. He chose the rule of law, and condemned evil."

"But... How can he still look at his family in the eye?" I wonder.

"I didn't want to put him in a delicate situation, but I didn't want to dismiss the case either. If I hadn't pressed charges against the murderer, the truth would have been buried forever. The victim's mother would have spent her whole life in pain. I had to do something to allow the victim to rest in peace and comfort a mother who had lost her son."

Though Mr. Toro managed to do justice, his story still leaves a lump in my throat. We both stay quiet.

"My point being, ." He gives me a slightly sad smile. Nostalgia, maybe. Regrets? I don't think so.

"I understand... Mr. Prosecutor."

______

I go back to my little studio and sit down on my bed. Everything that Mr. Toro has told me is fermenting in my mind and I still hesitate as to whether I should try to interview Mr. Williams or not.

Obtaining an interview with such a mediatized politician wouldn't be easy, and even though I could pull the very few strings at my disposal and get in touch with Hayley to ask her this favor, I wouldn't let myself take advantage of the friendship and trust she gave me. I won't use her to get to her father and dig dirt on him, but I can't do it on my own.

I brutally remember today's date, or more accurately, I recall what occurred nearly 3 days ago. Mr. Iero gave me a choice and a deadline, which is tonight. He told me to reach out if I wanted to keep investigating. I definitely do, so what is holding me back?

Not much. I am still wondering what I am getting into, but I am way too eager to know the truth and get to the bottom of this. I call Mr. Iero and I thank him for what he did for me and my family.

I invite him to the same restaurant where we met last time. I quickly develop habits, especially when it comes to places. I get attached easily and I comfort myself in familiarity.

The next day, I leave work early and I prepare myself. I always feel obliged to make myself spiffy for Mr. Iero, simply out of respect for him. We meet at the Vesuvio; I quickly notice his familiar silhouette and his determined gaze.

I wonder whether we should shake hands or not. He doesn't make the move and so I don't either, we just stand before each other and I decide to salute him with a smile. "Thank you so much for your help, Mr. Iero. My family's problems were solved."

"I only kept my promise, Mr. Way," he states. I can see he takes pride in being a man of his word, a man of honor.

"Let me invite you for dinner, Mr. Iero. Consider this my way of thanking you," I say. Mr. Iero smiles at this. "About what told you last time, I..."

"The fact that we are here tonight proves your determination. I understand." He nods.

"I have made up my mind. I intend to keep investigating," I announce. Mr. Iero tuts at me, shaking his finger. I tilt my head in confusion.

"I fear you might be about to be disappointed."

"Why is that?" I frown.

"D'Avanzo is dead."

"What?" I gasp, my face letting all my surprise show without filter. "Are you joking? "

"Unfortunately, I am not, Mr. Way," Mr. Iero states. The news leaves me speechless. I shake my head, trying to clear my thoughts.

"When? How did he die? Why did this happen?" The questions rush out of my brain and escape my lips.

"Last night. He was shot in his house."

"Who killed him?" I ask, appalled.

"No one knows. No clue was found." Mr. Iero shrugs.

I don't know what to say. I thought that the D'Avanzo lead would give me more clues... There is nothing left. Should I consider investigating Mr. Williams? Should I give Hayley a call?

"...Are you going to pursue your investigation?"

Mr. Iero's question takes me aback. I gather and organize my thought while playing with a chestnut strand of hair. "D'Avanzo might be dead, but there are other leads to explore... I don't know if I will discover anything, but it's worth trying."

"You have no idea of what you are going to go up against." Mr. Iero is oddly calm. Why is he telling me this? I look at him in the eye.

"Do you know what I am going to up against?"

He chuckles, hands joined behind his back. There is a glimmer I can't decipher in his gaze. "A boy like you, a graduate of such a prestigious university. You have a bright future ahead of you. Why take this dangerous path? Why constantly put yourself in danger?"

I have no idea of what he is talking about. I am not going to stop halfway, that would make no sense. I would have done all this in vain. I don't want Emily's death to be a mystery for the rest of my life.

"Seeking the truth might be hard, but I will not give up, Mr. Iero," I state with the most radical determination. "My hard work speaks for itself."

"The Solazzo family is involved." Mr. Iero peers at me. A deep, disturbing sensation makes me feel like he is testing me, put aside his warm smile and gentle demeanor.

"I know that it is the most powerful of mob families..."

"For now." Mr. Iero comments casually; he lets out a quiet laugh and observes me intently as I keep speaking.

"But I don't know much about those people. Only what I read in the press."

"Before being the president of a union, D'Avanzo was the confidant of Angelo Solazzo." Mr. Iero speaks with a certain nonchalance.

"D'Avanzo received his orders from Angelo Solazzo? So, Solazzo could have been the one who killed him?"

"Probably, but this is about your investigation."

I frown. "What do you mean, Mr. Iero?"

"The best way to go to the bottom of the matter is to get closer to Angelo Solazzo."

My frown only deepens. "To get close to him... Who, me? Impossible."

Mr. Iero's little smile widens. "That is entirely possible... with a new identity. I can help you."

I look at Mr. Iero in surprise. His featured seem deeper and more chiseled under the light. It's not a joke. He is serious about this.

"Why would you help me?" I ask, getting over my puzzlement.

"You are as sharp-minded as I thought, Mr. Way. We work in an environment made of rules. But Solazzo has broken some of the rules of this environment. There is a price to pay for that." He is much graver, all of a sudden. As he speaks, his hazel eyes shine like dagger blades.

"And what exactly do you need me for?" I ask, despite my bad feeling about this.

"Solazzo is very careful, but he has nasty habits, like most men. Underestimating a boy with a pretty face, for example." A small smile comes back on Mr. Iero's face. "A clever and tenacious man such as are you is the ideal partner for this mission."

I take a deep breath and attempt to sort out my thoughts. "What do you want me to do?"

"Get close to Solazzo, gain his trust. When time has come, give me the necessary information. I will take care of the rest."

"So, you want me to become a spy? You want me to masquerade as a member of the mafia?"

Mr. Iero tuts. "No, not quite. You have Scottish origins, correct?" I nod, merely wondering how he knew that. "You don't speak Italian at all, do you? That would be an issue for an infiltration, and this method wouldn't be effective anyway as it would take way too much time and risk for you to rise through the ranks. So I have another identity for you. You will become a dancer."

A dancer? What is he talking about? How can he believe that I would accept something like that?

"Why would Solazzo trust a dancer?"

"He will trust you, Mr. Way. I am certain of it. You have the potential of doing something that neither me nor my men can do. This is what I am seeking from you. An unconventional asset."

I am completely baffled. This is absolutely not what I expected to come out of this dinner. Pretending to be a dancer to approach Solazzo? This is absurd! How can Mr. Iero believe it can work? Unless he has something in mind... ? Something planned? Should I trust this without even knowing the plan?

"I know it isn't an easy decision to make," Mr. Iero speaks up. "Think about it thoroughly. There is a price to pay to work with me."

My heart is beating hard in my chest.

"But you will obtain what you are looking for," he adds. He salutes the waiter and pays the bill. "It is all up to you. You don't have to give me your answer now. Take your time and think through. Allow me to show you out."

On my way home, I can't stop thinking about Mr. Iero's offer. If I choose to infiltrate Solazzo's entourage, I will lose a lot of things. I will have to quit a job I love and risk facing the devil himself. But I can't give up on this investigation. What should I do?

______

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

176K 10.3K 39
Gerard way and Frank Iero have always passed each other in the hallway but never spoke a word to one another. They are both alike in many ways. Both...
8.1K 212 20
19 year old Y/N L/N works at a small cafe, doing her best to keep her head above water and support her family. When her mother still refuses to get a...
4.1K 149 26
TW IN ADVANCE: bl00d, sw34r1ng? s3xu4l content, s3lf h4rm, 1ntrus1v3/dark/s3xu4l th0ughts, 34t1ng d1s0rd3r Frank Iero is a senior in high school, he...
545 41 10
"When someone is constantly exposed to evil, they too will start doing bad things." In the age of bell bottoms and roller discos, the only thing on...