World on Fire | J. Saltzman...

De multi_fandom2015

I'll return from darkness and will save your precious skin I will end your suffering and let the healing ligh... Mais

S U M M A R Y
A C T 1
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y - O N E
T W E N T Y - T W O
A U T H O R S N O T E

E I G H T E E N

216 16 1
De multi_fandom2015

Elizabeth walks through the town of Mystic Falls, her mind aflutter with thoughts. Her father is a kind man, one not capable of the atrocities the town accuses him of, and her poor sister who simply disappeared, her best friend now gone after her. All that's left is a clue—a necklace—and she'll be damned if she doesn't do everything in her power to save her family. Even if it does include Stella Lahey.

"I believe you're looking for me." Elizabeth pauses as she turns to see a man slowly coming out of the shadows, his face obscured.

"I believe you must be mistaken. Perhaps if you could come closer, I could see who you are."

"Name's Kaleb Hawkins, ma'am. Best hired gun these parts have to offer. Heard you were looking for such a man. Been asking around town about a necklace."

Elizabeth raises the necklace in hand. "The very one in question. Does this crude bauble mean something to you?"

"It means you ought to leave town. That there is the mark of the Mikaelson Gang, and you don't want nothing to do with them."

She looks back at the charms on the necklace—the M must be for the gang, but the moons on either side seem out of place. "I have no choice," she replies. "My father's life depends on it."

"Sorry, little lady, but your pa's a dead man, and you'll be dead too if you ever cross paths with the likes of Hope Mikaelson."

"I can pay you well," Elizabeth says, "unless a man such as yourself lacks the stomach to track down a girl."

"Hope MIkaelson's no mere girl, ma'am. She's a monster. Not an ounce of humanity in her. It's said she even drinks the blood of her enemies."

"I trade in facts, not tall tales," Elizabeth sighs. Deep in her mind, she knows tales of beings like that, tales connected to her sister's closest friend, though Elizabeth has dispelled these rumors herself. "Does this miscreant also burn down schoolhouses and abscond with innocent women, such as my sister?"

"She might indeed. So I'm afraid I'll have to retract my offer."

When he takes a step forward, Elizabeth counters. "One more step and I'll scream."

"In my experience, ma'am, screaming don't do you no good with holes in your neck." When she turns, he appears before her, necklace in hand. "Much appreciated, but, you see," he holds up his own necklace, identical with the exception of one moon charm, "I got one of my own. Now, about that neck—"

A blade emerges from his chest, silver shining in the low light as a gunshot goes off. The body falls to reveal another man: blond, about her height, scars along his exposed skin as his eyes meet hers.

He swings his longsword down, wiping it off with a handkerchief. "Sorry for the violence, ma'am," he says, voice as smooth as rippling water. "I find the easiest way to deal with the Mikaelson Gang is to shut them up before they speak."

"I'll say," she murmurs. "Who are you?"

"You can call me Aaron, ma'am. You must be Elizabeth Saltzman?"

"And how do you know that?"

He turns and glances back to a man covered in shadows, a smoking gun visible in his hand. Elizabeth narrows her eyes before she stumbles in shock. "Dad?"

"Now, that's an insult, Elizabeth. I'm your Uncle Ric, and I'm guessing my brother never told you about me." A moment of silence passes, shock coursing through her system, Uncle Ric walks away, but Aaron hesitates.

"Well," he rocks back on his heels. "Evening, ma'am. Stay safe out there."

"Wait!" Elizabeth chases after them. "Where are you going?"

"After the Mikaelson Gang, I reckon," Aaron replies as he reaches Ric and the horses. He runs his hand over the horse's mane, the horse happily braying and bucking into the sensation.

"You heard what that monster said," Ric says. "They're bound to have your sister."

"And her friend," Elizabeth says as she reaches out.

Ric spins around, a wooden stake in hand. "Force of habit," he removes the stake. "Apologies."

"What am I supposed to do with this?" She asks as she takes the stake from his grasp.

"Pray that you never need to use it."

"What I pray for is to find Josette and Stella, as it seems you do, but my head is a-cluttered with questions. I didn't know that you existed a moment ago, much less who my assailant was."

"Well," Ric shrugs. "The last part's easy. It was a vampire."

"Well, if vampires are real, and they, in fact, attacked the school, then why doesn't Father remember?"

"Becoming a vampire grants them certain gifts," Aaron says, though his eyes seem a bit wider than before. "They like to use them to hurt innocent people, like your father and sister. And your sister's friend. And Isobel."

"Who was she?"

Ric looks away with his one working eye. "There are things about my past, it's best you don't know. But know this, I will find Josette, and I will kill those bloodsuckers. This, I swear to you."

"We'll find Stella Lahey too," Aaron says as he climbs atop the horse.

"My father will hang if you do not do so by noon tomorrow," Elizabeth says as Ric glares at Aaron. "I can handle a firearm, I'm going with you—"

"Like hell you are," Ric snaps. "You're a soft girl, raised by a soft man who loves books more than a fight, and it suits you, it truly does. But those bloodsuckers, they'd eat you alive."

"You know what, Ric?" Aaron glances around. "May be best if I stay with the girl. I'll meet you out there tomorrow morning. Just make sure she's settled."

Ric climbs atop his horse with a nod. "See you there." Elizabeth sighs as he rides into the night while Aaron plops down beside her.

"He's lost a lot," he says offhandedly. "Don't mean he can be rude all the time."

"Yeah," Elizabeth replies.

"Well, you said you know how to handle firearms. Want to show me? Depending on how good you are, maybe I can bring you out there with me at dawn."

Elizabeth's eyes widen. "Truly?"

"I don't see why not," Aaron shrugs. "We'll need all the help we can get."

~~~~~

Aaron has to admit, the woman is good. Even after years of learning how to shoot, he doubts he has her skill. He prefers to get up close to his enemy and strike looking in their eye so they know who exactly felled them. Elizabeth is a natural—cunning and precise and everything he is not.

Due to only having one horse, she sits before him as they ride through the fields. In order to catch up to Ric, they need to move fast. He would have settled down to get a few good hours before taking on the Mikaelson gang, and Aaron knows his favored spots.

Though, his current situation may be a bit distracting. They bounce to the beat of the horse, but it does not help his racing heart when she lays back against his chest, his hands on the reins before them. He needs to stay focused. Concentrate on the crisp air and not the fresh scent he gets when any stray strands of her hair pass by him.

"So, why are you so invested in this?" She asks, her voice like a song through the air.

He shrugs. "We all have stake. An innocent man shouldn't die for a demon's wrongdoings."

"My uncle does not seem too fond of the saving people part. Only killing vampires."

"We all have our reasons."

"Once again bringing me to the question of yours?"

With a sigh, he lets the horse slow down as Elizabeth looks over her shoulder to meet his gaze. "You're not the only one who's looking for someone they care about." She frowns, biting her lip—a silent request he decides to oblige. "Stella Lahey and I go way back. She's my oldest and truest friend. Ric and I... we were off hunting when the school burned down. Stella sent word, but by the time we returned, she was gone. Off to find your sister. What else would you expect? She does anything for the ones she loves."

"I always thought Josette was her closest friend," Elizabeth chuckles.

"I'd say they are more than that," Aaron sighs. "They always have been."

"I know." She nods as she looks ahead. "Josette never told me, but I know. They are happy together. That is all that matters."

As they near a tree by Ric's normal encampment, Aaron slows the horse and dismounts, helping Elizabeth down. "Gotta be quiet, now," he whispers as he takes out a scope and looks down the hill. He sees the horse, the smoke from the fire, and a still body with blood.

He slowly lowers the scope.

"What's wrong?" Elizabeth asks. She waits a moment before taking it from his hands and looking herself. Taking a deep breath, she says, "I'm sorry. Maybe if you were here and not with me."

"We don't know yet."

"Is he dead?"

Aaron frowns as he turns around, Elizabeth calling her sister's name. His eyes widen as he sees the girl he knows his best friend to love with blood trailing down her chin, staining her dress. Darkness hides behind her gaze as she looks at them.

"I don't know," Elizabeth says as she steps forward. Aaron grabs her arm and holds her back.

"I tried to drink it all, but his blood was bitter like him."

"Josette," Elizabeth breathes out. "What's become of you? What about Stella?"

"Stella's gone. Hope Mikaelson took care of that, but don't worry. Something wonderful's happened. Thanks to Hope."

"Hope Mikaelson is a wretch," Aaron says. "We came here to rescue you. Both of you. What do you mean Stella's gone?" He won't believe it. He can't believe it.

Josette's gaze falters, the darkness swimming. "When she died, everything felt worthless. The world itself was spinning, but then I was saved. And I'm gonna save you too. Just close your eyes. It'll be the best surprise."

Elizabeth shakes her head as Aaron rests his hand on his belt. "I don't want to."

"Well, then, what you're about to see is gonna be a little scary, but don't worry, my sweet, swooning sister. You're gonna wake up and feel so much better. Your mind'll be clear, and the world'll be bright and bustling all around you, and we can discover every inch of it together. We'll never need to be apart."

He feels Elizabeth's hand on his. As Josette races forward, Elizabeth takes his stake and thrusts it into Josette's chest. "Why did you do that?" Josette rasps. "Why'd you make me go away?"

"You were already gone," Elizabeth whispers.

Josette's hand wraps around Elizabeth's shoulder. "Don't worry, my sweet sister. This is far from over. I'll see you again. And so will she."

Her skin crumbles around her as her body falls limp. Elizabeth slowly lowers her to the ground, tears falling down her cheeks. "You did what you had to do," Aaron says, his voice hollow. "Stay here. Keep an eye out. I'm going to Ric."

"I'll go with you." She inhales deeply as she lets Josette's body rest on the ground. Wiping her hands off and drying her tears, she follows him down the hill. "Oh, goodness."

Aaron rips off a piece of his shirt, balls it up, and applies pressure to Ric's neck. "Hold still," he says.

"You never mind that, Aaron," Ric rasps, pushing him away. "You need to go. Josette..."

"Was a vampire," Elizabeth says. "I know. Josette won't be coming."

"I didn't think you had it in you."

"That makes two of us."

Ric's working eye drifts to Aaron. "And Stella..." He gulps down precious air. "Saw the body myself. I'm sorry."

It is as if Aaron's chest caves in. Like someone had thrown a boulder as large as a planet at him, pinning him down. How could he have let this happen? He should have been here. He could have fought back, maybe bested their enemies. Now both Stella and Ric are gone.

Ric raises a hand towards Elizabeth who takes it. "I underestimated you. You're more like me than I realized. My Isobel, she was turned into a vampire too. So, I roamed the plains, killing the monsters in her name, but your father thought I'd gone mad. Maybe he was right. He's a smarter man than I, so he devoted his life to keeping you and your sister away from me. Built you a home and a school. Someplace far away from all the violence. But sometimes, violence is the only solution."

"My father was wrong," Elizabeth says. "We need to kill Hope Mikaelson."

Aaron nods. "I second that."

"Well, you're gonna have to finish this one without me. But don't worry, I'm not gonna leave you all alone." Ric reaches down and hands over two pistols.

"This is not usually the company I'm used to keeping," Elizabeth mutters. "Who are Stefan and Damon?"

"There's no time for that story. What matters most is what's inside them. Hope Mikaelson is no ordinary vampire, but nature always finds a loophole. The bullets within will surely kill her dead."

Aaron slowly removes one of the bullets and holds it in the air before him. "What if we can't do it?" He asks. "What if we're not as like you as you think?" When he looks back down, Ric is already gone.

Legacies is just so weird, man. 

Hope you enjoyed!

-L

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

58K 2.2K 25
The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted. The Mikaelson Academy for the Elite and Superior. Two schools. A decade-old rivalry. What happens when...
59.8K 1.3K 74
A Hosie story This is not well written it gets better along the way but don't expect anything amazing TW: SELFHARM, SUCIDAL THOUGHTS, DEPRESSION Plea...
11.4K 489 28
🔥🔥#12 #hosie! 💚Second book!! Forest Dwellers • check my page• ⚠Mature content Hope mikaelson runs away from school the day she found the whole sc...
25.6K 596 47
-If you ever try to change me, I'll hunt you and everyone else you love. -You know we won't stop trying to bring you back. Especially Scott. -That'...