Pretending (Westshore Series...

By Hayles998

Juliet Grayson and Warner Brooks could not be more opposite. Juliet has struggled with body image issues and... More

Pretending
Chapter One : No more Jiggly Juliet
Chapter Two: Fresh Start Didn't Last Long
Chapter Three: Warner Brooks is Stalking me
Chapter Four: The Juliet Special
Chapter Five: Warner and His Stupid Muscles
Chapter Six: Never Drinking Again
Chapter Seven: My First Kiss Went a Little Like This
Chapter Eight: All Virgins Hate Never Have I Ever
Chapter Nine: Food Fight
Chapter Ten: Fighting over a Bald Lawyer
Chapter Eleven: Straight into the Lion's Den
Chapter Twelve: Doctor Pimple Popper
Chapter Thirteen: Warner Brooks Charity Project
Chapter Fourteen: Worst Thanksgiving Ever
Chapter Sixteen: Trusting Warner Brooks
Chapter Seventeen: Angel in a Room Full of Devils
Chapter Eighteen: Goodnight Sweet Prince
Chapter Nineteen: Greek Goddesses Don't Have Braces
Chapter Twenty: Nice Legs
Chapter Twenty One: Pure ass-beating Rage
Chapter Twenty Two: My Worst Nightmare
Chapter Twenty Three: I Just Want You
Chapter Twenty Four: I Wish I Was Confident
Chapter Twenty Five: I'm Yours
Chapter Twenty-Six: Do You Need That Many Abs?
Chapter Twenty Seven: Revenge Dress
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Possessed by a Sex Demon
Chapter Twenty Nine: Why Don't You Eat?
Chapter Thirty: Arguing Is Our Foreplay
Chapter Thirty-One: Pretty Thighs
Chapter Thirty-Two: Now You Can Have It
Chapter Thirty-Three: Hot Criminal
Chapter Thirty-Four: Breaking Warner Brooks Heart
Chapter Thirty-Five: Fake Smile
Chapter Thirty-Six: You Don't Deserve Him
Chapter Thirty-Seven: I'm Done With You
Chapter Thirty-Eight: I Want You On My Team
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Whipped
Chapter Forty - Chocolate Cake
Chapter Forty-One: You Did This To Me
Chapter Forty-Two: I'm Not Okay
Chapter Forty-Three : I Love You
Chapter Forty-Four: Jealous of Stefan
Chapter Forty-Five: I Shed Like a Dog
Chapter Forty-Six: Better Days are Coming
Chapter Forty-Seven: Happy New Year
Chapter Forty-Eight: Little Goblin
Chapter Forty-Nine: Sacrifice
Chapter Fifty: I'm Going To Kill Them All
Chapter Fifty-One: It's Not Your Fault
Chapter Fifty Two: Recovery
Chapter Fifty-Three: Not Dying A Virgin
Chapter Fifty Four: Little Guard Dog
Chapter Fifty-Five: Unhealthy
Chapter Fifty-Six: Bad Days
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Liar
Chapter Fifty-Eight: Not Okay
Chapter Fifty-Nine: Empty Promises
Chapter Sixty: I'm Sorry
Chapter Sixty One: Goodbye
Chapter Sixty Two: Growth
EPILOGUE

Chapter Fifteen: Emily Might Actually Be a Demon

8.7K 208 47
By Hayles998

A week had passed since Warner basically broke into my room at 430 am. Since then we have basically avoided each other, well I was avoiding him. He just hasn't been bothering me anymore, which I guess is what I asked for. I never thought I would miss his friendship but I did. Especially when he had Emily over, who was still the devil in disguise.

The only good part about thanksgiving being over meant that Halloween was close. This was going to be my first Halloween with my new look. Which meant it was the first year I could wear a slutty tight costume and not be made fun of. Sure I would still be incredibly insecure and worry about my body the whole night but I knew that would happen no matter what weight I was. 

The opportunities were endless, for years I watched from the sidelines but now I was invited to a real Halloween party. I laughed thinking about my last Halloween. I stayed in to hand out candy like I had every year previously while my mom was the one out partying. I took photos of her and her friends from pilates class before they left and I must say their costumes were quite revealing for a bunch of 40-year-olds. It was a role reversal, driving my mom and her friends off that night, warning them not to drink too much. The rest of my night was pretty great, I ate an entire family pack of Halloween candy and watched American Horror Story alone.

Although I had fun, I remember scrolling on Instagram the next day and seeing stories and posts of everyone out with their friends and their costumes and I remember feeling completely alone. I vowed I would make it to one of those parties and post a picture like that and here I was out shopping for costumes with Abby and Sarah a year later.

Sarah and I kept in touch after the banquet, it was nice having an upper-year pre-law student as a friend here. She was a great study partner and she also wasn't interested in popularity or cheerleading, she just liked reading. Having her and Abby together was a comedic show in itself watching two polar opposite girls shop.

"Okay how about this one Sarah? I mean there is hardly any boob showing, it is a high neck top." Abby holds up a devil bodysuit with a high neck but the bad part was it was a bodysuit meaning Sarah's ass would be hanging out entirely. 

"Um yeah maybe with some shorts that could work." Sarah was too nice to say anything but she gives me a pleading look. 

"Abby let's focus on your costume, what are you thinking? You have to have something hot for Winston." I wriggle my eyebrows at her and she blushes. Winston from our floor and her have been spending a lot of time together lately.

"You're right but you also need something hot for Adam." She makes me blush right back so I pretend to sort through the clothes rack. Ever since Warner backed off like I asked, I have been spending a lot of time with Adam. Sure it's a bit awkward since they're best friends but he doesn't seem to care too much.

"Not just for Adam." Sarah makes a side comment to herself but I hear her. I give her a look and she gives me an innocent one right back.

"Well we obviously need more than one costume, we cant repeat our costumes if we go to multiple parties. I am thinking we should do Victoria's Secret Angels. Sure it is basic but Halloween isn't about being creative it's about dressing like a slut and not getting judged." Abby has a point. Plus calling girls basic was just stupid, every time teenage girls like something men just hate on them for no reason. 

"I like the idea." 

We buy our costumes and head out to Sarah's car. After about 15 minutes of karaoke to One Direction in the car, we arrive back at the dorms. There is a soccer game tonight and that meant Abby and I had to go to the field early to warm up and get ready. I don't pay too much attention to school rivalries but apparently, today's game was a big one. Westshore against Laurier.

 At cheer practice, Amy explained to me why it was such a big deal but I wasn't really listening. I don't think I can hate a University simply because my University tells me I do, I also don't care that much about sports. I only go because of cheerleading and let's get real, the cute outfits...and the hot men.

The part I was truly looking forward to was the tailgate after-party. It was an annual thing after every Westshore vs Laurier Game. Nothing like drinking beer in a parking lot to bring two arch enemies together.

Abby and I get changed in her room and I do my makeup with school colours. After watching Euphoria last night Abby and I got quite inspired with our makeup. We had jewels above our eyes and sparkly eyeshadow on, I actually looked pretty? Which was a big deal because I never complimented myself. 

______

The game hadn't started yet, both teams are still warming up so I have time to check my phone and drink some water before I am thrown in the air again.

I go over to the bench on the sidelines and lean over to find my water bottle buried in my gym bag. I'm so concentrated -- digging through that I don't hear the yells from behind me. The warnings.

In a split second, a hand grips my wrist and pulls me away from my bag. I collide with a hard, warm surface and am too stunned to speak after I'm whipped to the side. A soccer ball whizzes just behind me at a killer speed, eventually hitting the bleachers with a loud thud.

Two hands still grasp both my wrists, holding me close, but I shift my gaze toward the field. A group of our players are looking at me sheepishly, clearly guilty of almost taking my head off.

Then I look up at Warner, staring down at me concerned. He's breathing hard, and I assume he ran over to get me out of the way. My mind whirs and I take in the situation -- me pressed against this tall, muscular body -- as he pants above me. My head barely reaches his neck, and he occupies my full field of vision. 

Holy fucking shit.

I take a step backward, trying to gauge the unreadable expression on his face. I smooth my clothes out, about to say something when he walks closer to the guys on his team with a murderous expression on his face.

"Watch where you fucking kick!" He yells at them angrily. They look over toward us and fall dead silent. Though they have the numbers, they straighten up and one holds his hands up in surrender. The four of them back away slowly and go back to practicing shots on the net. 

He doesn't say anything else, just goes right back to their team's warm-up. I grab my water, this time looking back at the field to see if anyone else is trying to take my head off. 

The only person trying to take my head off is Emily, at least with the look she is giving me. She doesn't want me anywhere near Warner and this whole week I have obeyed! This interaction wasn't even my fault, he was protecting me from getting possible brain damage.

She saunters over with a big smile on her face, which is how she tricked me in the first place. That smile is what got me into this mess. Curse me for being the feminist I am and assuming every girl I meet is a nice person.

"Hey, Jules can you do me a favour and not go to the tailgate tonight?" She is smiling at me but her words aren't so sweet.

"Ummm why?"

"Because I don't want to have to keep watching you throw yourself at Warner. I have informed the entire team that you are trying to steal my boyfriend so if they see you there you are just confirming that you are a boyfriend stealing snake." She says her threats in a perky voice and I can't lie I am kind of scared. After the whole Sierra situation, I am exhausted, I know when to pick my battles and this wasn't one of them. Drinking beer in a parking lot was not worth Emily's wrath.

"Okay, I won't go." I smile back walking over to Abby who is holding her fingers up in a cross making me laugh. I wish the power of Christ could repel Emily because she truly was a little demonic.

The game itself goes on pretty well, I land all of my stunts and despite the lightheadedness that I got every time I flipped I didn't pass out. Our team won, and I was glad because I think Amy would have made us run laps if we lost even though we were just cheerleaders. She was a great captain but she was way too passionate about the guys winning. 

The ref blows the final whistle and my eyes can't help but gravitate towards Warner. He looks hot. Ignoring the numerous people badgering and praising him, he runs his fingers through his hair. Slick with sweat, his hair falls messily over his forehead, making him look breathtakingly handsome. Confident and basking in the huge win he just pulled out. His muscles flex attractively and it's then that I notice the swarms of attractive girls gathering around him, reaching out to touch the winner. I tell myself that I don't care but still scan his face for any sign of attraction to these girls that aren't me. He doesn't look at them though I see him heading straight for the one woman I know he loves, Tracey. 

She pulls him into a hug and he hugs her back. I look away so I don't get caught staring but it is too late because Tracey and I have already made eye contact. 

"Juliet! Sweetie, over here!" Tracey waves me over to where she and Warner stand and I awkwardly walk over as if I wasn't just staring at them from ten feet away.

"I was so sad you couldn't make it for Thanksgiving dinner, your mom told me you were sick. I assume you are feeling better now? I mean look at you! You always look so beautiful." Her compliment makes me blush, it always feels so weird having a mom talk to me like that.

"Warner, aren't you going to tell Juliet she looks beautiful?" Tracey nudges him.

"Juliet always looks beautiful," Warner says in a matter-of-fact way like it is obvious.

 I can't even think of a response... did I hear that right?

For once I am thankful for Warner's dad because he comes over and grabs Warner by the shoulder guiding him behind the bleachers. Curiosity gets the best of me I can't help it.

Saying goodbye to Tracey I walk close to the bleachers in case I can hear a snippet of their conversation. 

"You were supposed to throw that game! How could you be so fucking selfish?!" Warner's dad's voice is angry. Throw the game? Why would he do that?

"I told you I am not doing that for you anymore. High school was fine but this is University soccer, scouts are watching I can't just throw games so you can make money." Warner is calm but I know he is getting angry from the way his voice rises with each word.

"Listen here you ungrateful little shit, if I tell you to throw the game then you throw the game. I had a lot of guys expecting a Laurier win tonight."

"Well, it's a big deal to the school that they win the games against Laurier. I guess your betting isn't worth me letting my team down."

"If you want a roof over your head when you come home and your tuition paid you better get used to letting your team down. I think you know what happens when you decide to stand up to me, remember what happened last time?"

There is a long pause after his dad threatens him, so long that I think I have been caught listening so I book it in the opposite direction. I am shocked, Warner's dad makes him throw games to win money?

I think back to high school, I didn't go to many soccer games due to my lack of social life but I do remember one day where everyone was pissed because Warner had missed every shot he took. Now looking back I don't think that was a mistake, I think Warner's dad bullied him into it.

It seemed Warner lived with his own bully throughout high school. 

I try to shake off the feeling I have in my stomach. I hope Warner's dad isn't dangerous. Sure it is legal to bet on sports but I know it is definitely illegal to threaten the players into making your bets come true. 

I go back to the field where everyone is parting ways to where the tailgate is taking place in the parking lot. Abby, Winston, and even Sarah are waiting for me together. I am shocked to see Sarah here, she hates stuff like this she said it herself.

"I wanted to see you guys in your cute uniforms," Sarah speaks up before I can even ask.

"Honestly that's the only reason I play soccer, to see Juliet cheer me on looking like that." Adam grins at me.

I haven't congratulated him on his win yet so I smile at him and jump into his arms laughing while he spins me around. I'm aware of the stares on us but I can't bring myself to care, focusing all my attention on Adam's face. That is until Warner rejoins our group, I guess his conversation with his dad ended. He doesn't show any emotion on his face, if I hadn't eavesdropped I would have no idea the stress he is under. 

"Well I have to go guys, I have some studying to do so I will see you all tomorrow." I try to be nonchalant about skipping the tailgate but judging by their faces it doesn't work.

"Very funny, you are coming to the tailgate let's go." Adam interlinks his fingers with mine. We get about two steps till I stop us.

"No I will not, I cannot and frankly I should not for the sake of my own well being go to this tailgate."

Warner turns in confusion to Abby "What is she on about?"

"What she's trying to so eloquently say is that Juliet has been banned from any parties you are at. If Emily sees her around you she is done for." Abby does exactly what I told her not to do. She tells them the truth! I shoot her a look of betrayal and she shrugs.

The look on Warner's face is replaced by something I can only classify as anger as he clenches his fists.

"How long has she been doing this?" He asks with barely restrained fury and I'm taken aback by his reaction.

"It doesn't matter," I say trying to calm him down, we're starting to attract attention and the unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach is coming back. I really wish I could be somewhere else however it seems like Warner's eyes are holding me captive keeping me rooted to the spot as they burn so fiercely into mine. He is searching for answers I'm not sure he even wants to know.

"How long?" He repeats and this time he makes it clear that I'm supposed to give him a clear answer. I avoid looking at him.

"Like I said it doesn't matter I'm handling it," I say aware that my friends are watching me intently, including Adam.

"I will handle it." Warner doesn't seem to give me much of a choice. 

I know some of you guys might be confused and say Thanksgiving is after Halloween but I'm Canadian and we have Thanksgiving before Halloween in Canada. Therefore it's not a mistake I just based the story in Canada hehe :) Thanks for reading

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 2.3K 54
Jourdan Mathews has a secret, and she knows she needs to take this one to the grave. * * * Her life was never complicated: a college student with a...
17.7K 1.7K 39
"I want how it was before. I want it all with you in my life again... I'm asking you to stay." Miles Cobain-Smith An aloof and detached logician, he...
1K 48 13
Harper Jones: A normal girl who just wants a normal high school life to the point that she moves from Georgia to Virginia to get that experience. Unf...
1.6M 101K 82
Nolan, an unapproachable guy who ignores the existence of all his schoolmates, sleeps in all of his classes. Normally, this wouldn't be Chelsea Arnol...