๐‘ญ๐’๐’–๐’“๐’•๐’‰ ๐’๐’‡ ๐‘ฑ๐’–๐’๐’š |...

By Imaginebooks

โ i have only ever been good at one thing anger anger is all i have been good at โž hermes x oc pre-lightning... More

o. fourth of july
i.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.
xxi.
xxii.
xxiii.
xxiv.
xxv.
xxvi.
xxvii.
xxviii.
xxix.
xxx.
xxxi.
xxxii.

ii.

19.2K 855 212
By Imaginebooks

two ── meetings

𝕰den was practically trembling with excitement. Finally, after so many hours and time spent filling out documents, submitting medical information, having interviews with social workers, talking to her family's lawyer and waiting for a match, it had come through.

She'd been in her mother's home, just about to sit down at the dinner table to eat when her phone had pinged.

"Sorry, let me just get this." Her mother had waved her off, and Eden had smiled before disappearing into the living room to read the email. She had thought that it was something to do with the business, but the message had been on her personal email, and Eden had opened it with a baited breath before grinning widely and pressing a hand to her mouth.

It was from her caseworker, who had sent her the information on a young teenager that needed adopting. It wasn't one that she had mentioned about adopting, but the woman had obviously thought that this little boy was best suited for her and his social worker had agreed.

"Mom!" Eden leant her head back into the hallway, rushing down to show her phone to the woman. "Look. This is who I could be adopting! The case worker just sent it through and wants me to review it before it's finalised!"

There had been muffled screeches from her mother, congratulations from her step-dad and half-siblings as they began to celebrate at the thought of having a new grandchild in the family.

Now, Eden was pacing around her house, chewing on her nails and wondering when they'd show up. It was the first time that she was meeting the boy, a twelve year old called Luke Castellan, and she couldn't quite decide whether she was nervous or excited.

"Mom, I don't know what to do. What do I say?" She paused in pacing to hiss down the phone at her mother, who was laughing at her daughter's panicked state in an unhelpful manner. "Help me!"

"Alright, alright," Her mother laughed again, before finally settling down. "You've said it yourself, he seems like the perfect kid to come into your life. He's active, enjoys sports so you two have that in common, likes dogs so you could talk about Bradley."

The large golden retriever was snoring from besides the fire, and Eden's mother continued.

"He's twelve and look, he's probably just as nervous about all of this as you are." Eden wasn't sure if that was possible, but nodded her head all the same. "You're going to be alright. Once you see him, you'll just know if you think that he could be your son."

Eden rolled her eyes at the notion, before freezing as a car pulled up outside.

"Mom, I'm gonna call you back, they just got here."

"Deep breath, keep calm and I love you." Eden nodded, saying a quick goodbye, before hanging the phone up and sliding it into her pocket as she tried to wipe the sweat off of her hands.

"I'm alright, I'm alright, I'm alright," She muttered over and over again, like it was a prayer, before looking up at the sound of the doorbell ringing. Taking a deep breath, Eden nodded to herself before opening the door and smiling.

Luke's case worker was an elderly woman, who had a small smile plastered on her face. Luke Castellan, on the other hand, looked like he didn't want to be there. He had his hands tucked into his pocket, scuffing his converses on the stone step, but Eden didn't let that hit her too hard.

He just didn't know her yet.

"Hi!" Eden grinned. "I'm Eden Jones, it's really nice to meet you."

"Eden, I'm Pat Harper." Pat smiled, holding her hand out for the woman to shake. "This is Luke."

Pat turned to Luke, an eyebrow cocked as Luke shot the woman a non-committal nod.

"I'm sorry about him."

"Don't worry about it. I can imagine it was a long drive, come in!" Eden held the door open, letting the pair wander into the house. Luke's eyes went wide, looking around the place in slight confusion, and maybe awe, before quickly taking his shoes off. "Welcome to my home."

"It's lovely," Pat smiled. "Why don't we go into the kitchen?"

"Sure thing." Eden nodded, before pausing at the living room. "Uh, this is Bradley. He's tired cause we went on a really long walk yesterday, but give him ten minutes and he'll be up and bouncing around. I hope that doesn't bother you."

Luke watched the dog, eyes wide, before shaking his head as Eden smiled. It was some form of communication, even if it wasn't a lot.

Eden led them through the house, before appearing in the kitchen and motioning for them to sit down.

"Would you like anything to drink or eat?" Eden opened the fridge, turning back to them. Luke looked over her option, perking up at the sight of the Coke cans, before sitting down again.

"Coffee would be great." Eden nodded, grabbing two Coke cans and sliding one over to Luke as he sat down, before placing a tin of biscuits in front of him and brewing the coffee. "So, the way this goes, Miss. Jones, is that there are a couple of little visits with me present and then he can stay over a few times, for a night. I'll be present the first time, and then, if it all goes well, we can finalise the fostering process and then you can apply to adopt him."

"I understand. I read up a bit." Eden grinned, pouring the coffee into a cup. She'd wanted to be as prepared as possible for when the match came through. "Milk? Sugar?"

"Milk and two teaspoons please."

"Sure." Eden made the coffee, passing it to Luke's care worker.

"Now, there is one final thing that I need to confirm with you." Pat began, as Luke turned more in on himself, eyes down turned. "Luke has a history of running away and occasional aggression."

Eden went silent, looking at the boy, before back at Pat and nodding.

"Alright, I understand."

"If you don't wish to go..."

"No, I want to go ahead." Luke froze, before turning to look at Eden for the first time, blue eyes wide in shock. "If that's alright, of course?"

Luke didn't seem to process that she was talking to him for a moment, looking between Pat and Eden a couple of times, before nodding hesitantly. Eden wondered, briefly, how many families had turned him away after hearing that.

"That's great!" Pat smiled, both her and Luke cheering up immensely. "If you want, I can get a plan drawn up and you can show Luke around the house then we can discuss times and dates that work."

"Sure, that sounds like a good idea." Eden placed her Coke can down, standing from the stool. "I think you're going to love it."

Luke glanced back at Pat, before setting his backpack down and following Eden around the house as she began to point things out. He was still quiet, but he was listening now, peering into rooms and along the corridors as Eden led him upstairs.

"This one's my room." Eden opened the door for him to explore. He paused at the threshold, peering his head in. "You can go in if you want. There's nothing much in there though, probably a couple of dog chews under the bed that Bradley put there."

Luke nodded, cautiously stepping in and looking around, before following Eden out and down the corridor.

"Then, I thought, if this goes through, that this could be your room?" Eden cocked an eyebrow, pushing the door open for the boy to walk in. "You can paint the walls whatever you want, and I know it's a bit bare at the moment, but once you get here we can go and find what you like."

It had been one of her spare rooms, but as soon as the news came through about a match, her and her family had got to work finding basic furniture and painting the walls, trying to make sure everything was ready.

"You're still thinking of adopting me?" Luke turned, finally speaking to her for the first time. "Even after hearing that I'm a runaway? And have anger issues?"

"Yeah, of course." Eden nodded, keeping the soft smile on her face. "That happened in the past, and I don't know the circumstances so you could have been completely justified in running away or getting angry."

"Thank you." Luke looked up at her, blue eyes wide, as Eden smiled.

"Come on. I've got to read that paper work through, work out when you're next coming to visit." Luke nodded, walking off with a bit more of a spring in his step and the hint of a smile forming on his face.

Eden knew that this wouldn't be smooth sailing, knew that they would have their issues, but she allowed a wide grin to form on her face. This was going to work, she knew it would.

☾☼☽

Hiya,

All you need to know is that Eden is an absolute sweetheart and she's so nervous about meeting Luke, I just love her. Also, her family are brilliant and we get more background into her in the next chapter so stay tuned for Sunday.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 194 9
๐’ƒ๐’๐’๐’Œ ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’๐’‡ "๐™๐™ƒ๐™€ ๐™ˆ๐™Š๐™Š๐™‰๐™‡๐™„๐™ ๐˜พ๐™ƒ๐™๐™Š๐™‰๐™„๐˜พ๐™‡๐™€๐™Ž" ๐’”๐’†๐’“๐’Š๐’†๐’”. "๐’๐ก๐ž ๐œ๐š๐ซ๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐ญ๐š๐ซ๐๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ข๐ง ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฏ๐ž๐ข๐ง๐ฌ ๐€๐ง๐...
19.4K 410 10
"I'd hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain." a story of unearthing and betrayal. ๊—ƒ part one of the percy jackson...
279K 11.8K 85
"Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood..." With one sentence, her life would be changed forever. Andy Collins could never have expected how her lov...
326K 13.3K 70
โ You know, all the training in the world could not have prepared me for how deeply I fell in love with you, or the tragedies that came with it. But...