Once Upon A Time In Colombia...

נכתב על ידי Icemoor47

The cowardly but loyal Oscar Madrigal is a Bengal cat who lives with his extraordinary family, the Madrigals... עוד

The Family Madrigal!
Uncertainty
Pressure and Predictions
Why Can't We Talk About Bruno?
Of Self-Doubt and Apologies
The Catastrophic Collapse Of Casita and The Cowardly Cat
Forest Follies
Opposed to All Foes
Oscar And Tawney Against The World (Two-Part Chapter)
Una Reunión Muy Peluda

About the Bengal

66 4 18
נכתב על ידי Icemoor47

*Dramatically emerging from behind curtains*

Why couldn't I think of a better name for this? Anyway...

Welcome to my very first Encanto fanfiction! Or should I say: ¡Bienvenidos a mi primer fanfiction de Encanto!

That's right! ¡Yo hablo español!

So before I get started, I'd like to introduce my latest and greatest Encanto OC...

Oscar Madrigal! 

The apprehensive but loyal Bengal cat who assists our canonical protagonist, Mirabel Madrigal, in saving the Encanto's magic!

As you can see by the header, Oscar is a slender feline with green eyes and a plumed tail. He is the SIZE of a serval.

His gift is... Drumroll... 

Super Speed! 

I was gonna go with "Enhanced sense of smell" or "X-Ray Vision," but I figured Super Speed was more plausible. I also considered "tail elasticity, "immortality," and "Supersonic Meow."

His gift ceremony was... Different. Like Mirabel, he didn't get a door. Plus he was the only animal in La Familia Madrigal/Encanto in general who has a gift. For this reason, he doesn't feel like a Madrigal.

And now for a bit of angst:

When he feels down in the dumps, he usually tells himself, "Puede que no sea un Madrigal... O al menos no me siento como uno... Pero al menos tengo un gran cabello." 

Oscar is a lightweight cat, weighing less than seven pounds. But for what he lacks in weight, he makes up for in mach speed. Visualize this: he sees a rat (that isn't one of Bruno's rats), he'll have it hunted down and killed in under ten seconds. That's how swift he is.

He gets scared easily (you can imagine him being a nervous wreck at that dinner scene). And when he does get scared, he'll curl up against the nearest person, flatten his ears, and tremble.

But when he's not having a nervous breakdown, his service to the Encanto is "pest control". Like, say there was an outbreak of mice. He'd be on the job in a jiffy.

When Oscar's not on the job, he's spending time with, in his feline eyes, the best family in the world. Don't get me wrong; he loves everybody, but he has the strongest bond with the grandchildren. Allow me to explain...

.............

How Oscar is treated/acts around each Madrigal.

Abuela Alma: Oscar is aware of the generational trauma she's gone through. He understands how she didn't want to lose any more loved ones. He's on his best behavior in Alma's presence, and saves his energy for later when he's playing. He didn't appreciate the pressure she gave him, though...

Pepa: Unlike most other cats, Oscar LOVES rain, and water in general. Not that he enjoys seeing her in a bad mood. Usually when Pepa's in a bad mood and Oscar shows up, her spirits are lifted almost instantly. They relish each other's company.

Félix: Oscar usually gets Félix's attention by either meowing loudly or rubbing himself against his legs, purring up a storm. Oscar is a lover-bug and enjoys playing/cuddling with Félix.

Agustín: When he goes somewhere when there might be bees, Oscar comes with him in hopes of scaring them away. Yet again, he is easily spooked, so if they DO get attacked by bees, Oscar will either run away or hiss at them, but never swats. He's gotten stung before as well, but not as frequently as Agustín. Like the rest of the family, they get along very well.

Julieta: Let's not assume that Oscar doesn't have a mischievous side, especially when there's food involved. His all-time favorite food that Julieta makes are her arepas. Whenever she makes a batch of them, Oscar has plotted to steal them on more than one occasion. Despite that, Julieta and Oscar love each other dearly. He's even helped her cook on occasion.

Bruno: was slightly afraid of Oscar when they first met, because he's known for hunting small rodents (i.e rats). But Oscar willed himself not to. And after hearing everything that Bruno went through the past ten years, he almost immediately befriended/trusted him.

Isabela: Oscar had somewhat complicated views on Isabela. He didn't like how she treated him as opposed to how she treated her youngest sister (Mirabel). But he does love the flower crowns she's willing to make for him. After "What Else Can I Do?", he almost literally cried for her, knowing that she deserved to be happy.

Dolores: He's typically quiet when he's near Dolores, respecting her enhanced hearing. The only problem he has with being quiet is that he gets paranoid that someone's planning on sneaking up on him. In return, Dolores is very gentle and sweet with Oscar.

Luisa: is also very gentle with Oscar. He just wishes she didn't get anxious whenever he wants her to pet him. When she isn't too nervous to pet him, they're soft, easy strokes from head to tail, and gentle hugs should he ask for one. He hugs her after "Surface Pressure."

Camilo: Oscar and Camilo are basically bread and butter. In other words, BESTIES! Oscar wants to roughhouse? Camilo's willing to get a few scratches and bite marks in exchange for playing with his favorite (and only) cat. Wants to be picked up/carried? Camilo will pick up/carry him. Would you believe me if I told you that he loves Camilo so much, he WEARS A LIGHT BLUE RUANA WITH LITTLE PAWPRINTS AND LIGHTNING STRIKES TO SYMBOLIZE HIS SUPER SPEED? Believe me, because he does. Would you believe me if I told you that Mirabel made it?

Mirabel: Oscar loves Mirabel to DEATH, and vice versa. He sympathizes with her the most, seeing how she didn't get a door like the rest of her family. He also felt bad that neither of them got a door, yet Oscar got an actual gift. So she doesn't feel terribly jealous, he tries not to use his gift too much around her.

Antonio: Especially after he was given the gift to talk to animals (even though Oscar can already speak fluent English and Spanish), he adores little Antonio. Heck, believe me when I tell you that Oscar was trusted to babysit a couple times.

And because I know I was gonna regret leaving him out later...

Mariano: The second he heard "he wants five babies," he disliked Mariano, until he came down to the conclusion that Dolores just added that last part to mess with Isabela. He was friendlier when he came over to propose. When he and Dolores get together, though... He develops a "you hurt her in any way and I'll come for your kneecaps" kind of attitude. Other than that, they're on good terms. He'll let Mariano pet/carry him.

Next up: Things you might need to know before I proceed with the story!

Other facts about Oscar you might like to know:

1. Where he sleeps heavily varies. He'll sleep anywhere comfortable; the courtyard, the balcony, the railings, the room of his choice... Like I said, ANYWHERE he can get comfortable.

2. Like a vast majority of cats, when he's happy, he purrs and/or kneads his paws. He usually kneads his paws when he finds someone laying on their stomach with their back exposed. So in addition to pest control, Oscar specializes in back massages! 

3. Oscar sometimes forgets that Casita is alive, and he's been accidentally and intentionally scared by it on more than one occasion. Countless claw marks on the ceiling...

4. As much as he loves being in Isabela's room, because she basically treats him like royalty, all the flowers in her room... He periodically has a sneezing fit. He has a slight pollen allergy.

5. He sleeps in Mirabel's room the most. I'm hoping you know the reason why.

6. Oscar has random conversations with the donkeys (he named one of them Eduardo). As well as Antonio's animals. Neither talk much. The toucans are too noisy for him, but he LOVES the jaguar the most out of them all. (I just learned today that the jaguar's name is Parce!) He'll always love talking to Antonio the most, though.

Being the one with super speed regardless, Oscar does get tired. But not easily. The main downside to his gift is that he needs to drink more water than necessary. 

Unfortunately, he's very easily scared as well. So having a gift that ensures that whatever scared you can't catch you can be a blessing and a curse. He beats himself up for having a crippling fear of just about everything. For this reason, he also kins Luisa.

Depending on his mood, if he's upset about something, he goes to one of the grandkids. The possible outcomes: A brand new flower crown from Isabela, a bone-crushing hug from Luisa (or any of the grandkids in general, really), a nice, quiet conversation from Dolores or Mirabel, a good laugh from Camilo's shapeshifting, or a brief cuddle with one of Antonio's animals.

Oscar is so passive, he rarely gets mad, and he almost never hisses nor scratches. But when he does get angry, he becomes a livid puffball.

He can jump as high as the floor of the courtyard to the railing on the second floor, twice as high if you successfully sneak up on him. Strong legs! 

You know Oscar trusts you when he lays himself down around your neck, on your shoulders, like a scarf. This will be seen often, as he trusts each and every member of his family with every fiber of his being.

He speaks the most Spanish.

He can sing! He sings "Colombia, Mi Encanto" at the beginning and end of the fanfic. The only songs that Oscar won't be taking part in are "Surface Pressure," "Dos Oruguitas," and "All Of You."

He's voiced by Wyclef Jean (after listening to Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" on repeat for twenty minutes). I also considered: Marc Anthony, Carlos Vives, Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, Sebastián Yatra, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and even Pitbull!

Oscar was adopted into the family at eight months old (he was actually found by Luisa. She brought him home, and Camilo BEGGED to keep him after he licked his face. Isabela didn't like him at first, but that only lasted for a day when she caught him sleeping in her room and purring in her presence), and got his gift when he turned one year old. 

Oscar didn't believe ANY of the stories that everyone told him about Bruno. Any of the bad ones, anyway.

He doesn't hold grudges.

His parents ARE alive. He had to go their separate ways, but they are alive. Probably one of my few OCs whose parents are currently living. Go figure.

As you read the story, watch him analyze "Surface Pressure," everyone's part(s) of "We Don't Talk About Bruno," and the aftermath of "What Else Can I Do?" They're worth reading!

Are my writing skills actually improving is my number one concern right now...

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

17.8K 625 21
"𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑚𝑜𝑜𝑛 𝑎𝑙𝑤𝑎𝑦𝑠 𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑘𝑠 𝑏𝑒𝑎𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑓𝑢𝑙 𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝐼𝑚 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑦𝑜𝑢, 𝑚𝑖 𝑎𝑚𝑜𝑟. 𝑊ℎ𝑦 𝑐𝑎𝑛'𝑡 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑠𝑒𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡...?" ☆.。...
7.2K 212 37
Ah, yes. Marriage on paper. That's okay, it's normal for someone your family anyway. But why does it have to be him? Camilo, the Madrigals' eldest ma...
19.1K 345 22
Luna and Camilo Madrigal are twins who are inseparable and love their family to pieces, but after Antonio receives his gift, it all spirals downwards...
67.9K 1.3K 44
«𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮,𝓽𝔀𝓸 𝓶𝓸𝓾𝓽𝓱𝓼.𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮,𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮.𝓝𝓸 𝓼𝓱𝓲𝓻𝓽,𝓷𝓸 𝓫𝓵𝓸𝓾𝓼𝓮» Just another Camilo Madrigal fanfics :D (I...