The Mughal Princess (Complet...

By the_insouciant_lass

The Mughal Princess fell in love with Rajput Prince. A beautiful love blossomed and soon the wedding prepar... More

Aditya Raj Suryavanshi
Maheen
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
Cast
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
Letters !
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
Epilogue
A/N

43.

15.5K 1.3K 106
By the_insouciant_lass

Maheen woke up the next morning feeling like half of her was missing. She was use to seeing Aditya's face every morning, she wanted to wake up to his scent and touch.

Maheen groaned into the mattress, she was love sick.

Dragging her feet around, with half a heart she pushed herself to get ready. Wearing a pastel pink saree from the trunk she braided her hair and wore some jewellery and her sindoor and nuptial chain. Making her way towards the temple.

She reached earlier than usual as Aditya wasn't there to distract her today.

"Is there something I can help with ?" She asked the ladies working on the garlands.

"No my queen everything is almost done." They replied and Maheen nodded giving them a polite smile.

Maheen walked to the old priest and greeted him.

"Ram ram Maheen." He replied.

"Pandit Ji is there anything left to attend to for the holika dahan tonight ?" Maheen asked.

"Everything has been taken of my queen." He said. "However you must cross check everything off the list once you are free." He said and Maheen bobbed her head in understanding.

"Bhabhi." Mohini called making Maheen turn towards where Mohini stood with Dev next to her.

"Good morning." Maheen said smiling at Mohini.

"Good morning bhabhi." Mohini said embracing Maheen. Dev looked at his sister and Maheen, his heart twisted.

Maybe his uncle had been wrong about Maheen. He has taken the worst decision of his life by turning Maheen down. Looking at Maheen interact with Mohini and everyone around them, he knew whatever Balram Shastri has fed him were lies, he had manipulated Dev enough. He had made a mistake, a mistake he would regret all his life.

"Where is Bhaisa ?" Mohini asked. "Yesterday you were missing and today he is, you both are always stuck to the hip otherwise what is happening?"

Maheen rolled her eyes but let out a chuckle.
"Aditya had to go to Ota. He'll be back tonight."

"He better be back before the pooja."Mohini said and Maheen sighed.

"Me too." She said giving Mohini a small smile. She was missing him already.

"Let's start the pooja." The old priest said.

"Is it just the three of us today then ?" Mohini asked looking around. "Rani maa isn't coming. I don't see Gehna and Mangal Bhaisa either."

"It's just us." Maheen shrugged her shoulders.

After the pooja finished, Maheen like always took the aarti around for everyone to take.

Starting with the people working for them and ending it with family, that's how Maheen went around.

"Bhabhi it's going to be your first Holi. Aren't you excited."

"I am." Maheen chuckled pushing the holy fire towards Mohini for her to take the blessings. She moved right and held it in front of Dev.
"I would have been more, if your brother was here."

"He'll be back before you know."

"Yes."

"Maheen aren't you going to let me take the blessings." Maheen tuned to see Gehna and Mangal standing at a distance.

"Where were the two of you ? You missed the pooja." Maheen said scolding them as she walked towards them extending her arm, the two looked at each other with a knowing smile.

"What ?"

"Nothing." Gehna chirped taking the aarti.

"Now if you are done it's my turn to be blessed."
The voice made Maheen's back stiff.

Gehna took the plate from Maheen's and nodded at her encouragingly.

"Go." She whispered.

Maheen turned around to see Abeer standing in a black kurta, looking as handsome as ever, smiling at his sister.

"Bhaijaan." Maheen croaked as she took big steps towards her brother and threw herself on him.

Abeer stumbled a little but steadied himself as he held on to his sister in months. A sister who had parted from him with a broken heart.

"How are you my Princess ?" Abeer said stroking her hair.

"I've missed you." Maheen croaked her voice cracking as she buried herself in her brother's chest.

"We all miss you." He kissed her forehead lovingly. He pulled her away from himself reluctantly and looked at her.

"Hmm must say the Suryavanshi's are feeding you well." He said mockingly.

"Are you calling me fat ?" Maheen said wiping her tears.

"Did I call her fat ?" He asked turning towards Gehna who shook her head smiling.

"How is baba ? And maa and -."

"Everyone is doing great. I have been told that you are coming home soon, meet everyone and ask them how they are doing yourself. I've travelled from far to see you and you-."

"Lies." Maheen said raising her eyebrow. " I know you've come here for Gehna."

"What ? No I -."

"It's okay bhaijaan. I know."

"Know what ?" Abeer asked.

"Gehna is going back today, with you." Maheen replied confused.

"Oh."

"Is there anything else that I should have known that-."

"Abeer!" Gehna interrupted. "Aarti." She said pushing the thali in front of him.

Abeer looked at Gehna for a second longer than he should have and then turned his attention to the aarti.

Gehna walked away, back to the priest to return the thali now that everyone has taken the blessings.

"Bhai Jaan, what is going on ? You look so."

"Nothing Mahi nothing. Where is Aditya and your mother in law I -."
Abeer stopped mid sentence as his eyes fell on the man standing behind.

Dev looked at Abeer and then down at his feet. He couldn't look him in the eye.

"What, is he doing here ?" Abeer said grinding his teeth.

"Not here bhaijaan please. This is my house and Aditya isn't home." Maheen said tugging on Abeer's sleeve

"I'm not going to spare this basta-."

"Abeer." Gehna said placing her hand on his arm as well. "No please."

"Please bhaijaan." Maheen begged, her eyes wet with tears. "Mohini doesn't know please."

Abeer took in a deep breath and looked at Maheen cupping her cheek.
"Come home soon." He said kissing her forehead.

He turned towards Gehna and said. "It's time to say goodbye to everyone."

"So soon ?" Maheen asked wide eyed. "You should stay for at least tonight, it's Holi and Aditya will be home by tonight yo-."

"We need to be in Agra soon Maheen."

"You are coming to Agra soon yourself." Gehna added.

"But you won't be here with me." Maheen croaked.

"Why am I not invited again ?"

"You don't need an invite." Maheen said throwing her arms around her best friend. "I love you Gehna."

"I love you too Mahi. You are strong and fierce, always remember that. Im always there for you." She kissed Maheen's cheeks. "And do not cry."
She said wiping Maheen's tears.

Gehna went around and bid everyone goodbye. Her trunks had already been loaded and sent ahead of them.

As they stood in the courtyard, a carriage waited for Gehna. Abeer helped gehna inside the carriage as Maheen stood watching her best friend leave her side.

Maheen notices the tall brown horse. She walked towards it and patted its head. It was her mother's horse, the one she had gifted Abeer for his coronation.

"How are you Vayu ?" She said lovingly patting him. "Tell Maa that I miss her and I'll see her soon, really soon. Be a good boy till then." She said placing a kiss on his head.

"Now that you have showered the horse with love it's time to sprinkle some towards your brother as well." Abeer said opening his arms for Maheen. Maheen walked in his embrace and rested her face on his chest.

"I love you Abeer Ali Khan." Maheen said hugging him tight.

"And I love you Maheen Ali Khan." He replied.

"Maheen Aditya Suryavanshi." She said looking at him. Abeer looked taken aback.

"What ?" Maheen chuckled and Abeer shook his head.

Maheen always, always took pride in calling herself Maheen Ali Khan, but he was pleasantly surprised and pleased about her referring to her new identity.

She wasn't the Mugal Princess anymore. She was the Queen of Awadh.

•••

Goodbyes were always difficult, but Maheen consoled herself, reminding that she would be heading to Agra in a few short days herself.

As soon as Gehna and Abeer had left, Maheen had busied herself overlooking the last minute Holi preparations.

Mohini and Maheen has spent the entire day running errands and as the night drew closer Maheen's heart sank.
Aditya wasn't home yet.

She stood in the courtyard, looking over the structure being made for the bonfire for holika dahan.

She walked towards Mangal who was instructing the men to move a few logs of wood around .

"Mangal Bhaisa." Maheen called.

"Ji bhabhisa ?"

"Aditya is not home yet ! Where is he ?" She asked.

"Bhabhi he left from Ota a few hours ago, he will be back home well after midnight." Mangal said apologetically.

"Oh wonder." Maheen said. It was her first festival after marriage and she would be celebrating it without her husband.

"Sorry bhabhi sa I -."

"It's alright. Duties come first."

"It's time you take care of your duties." Maheen turned around to face Mandira who was draped in an elegant yellow saree. "Go get ready for the pooja, I hope this is not what you are planning to wear."

Maheen looked at her blankly and turned her head away, she wasn't listening to Mandira's nonsense anymore and all plans to please her mother in law and be kind to her had gone down the drain the minute she came to know that Mandira had staged Balram Sastri's escape and had a hand in injuring her father.

Mandira Suryavanshi could go to hell for all she cared.

"Mangal Bhaisa, please make sure everything is ready before the mahurat (auspices time)."

"Yes Bhabhi." Mangal replied.

Maheen turned around and walked away not sparing Mandira a single glance or acknowledging her presence at all.

She walked into the confines of her room and sat on her bed. Taking in a deep breath, she closed her eyes.

Aditya would be home soon and then she would have to tell him about Mandira and Balram's dirty games.

Maheen pushed herself up and walked towards her dresser to ready herself to face the witch again.

Under her jewellery box again, she found a note.
She opened it and read.

Dearest Maheen,

Life for the both of us has always been a walk on a bed of roses. Always cocooned and protected, warded away from any evil, we didn't know that roses too had thorns.

My heart bleeds leaving you back in Awadh, but that's your home now. I try explaining to my silly heart that I've not abandoned you, you have your strength, you have Aditya.

Life in your new role as the Queen will be tough and people will try to stab you in the back when you least expect it, but I'm sure you will be able to face everything face front, bravely.

I love you Maheen and parting from you has been the most difficult thing I've had to do in my life, you are my best friend, my sister, my soulmate.

Be safe
Be brave
Be loving and kind
Show the world what Maheen truly is.
I love you,
You'll be in my every prayer and dua.

Yours
Gehna.

Maheen folded the parchment and wipes her cheeks, it was the first time in 21 years of her life that she had ever parted from Gehna.

Sometimes some people love you more than your own blood would.

Sometimes a best friend could be more loyal and loving than your own sister would.

AN: Dedicating this chapter to my best friend! Gehna is truly based on her, she is the sister I never had and I don't think if I had sister she would love me and care for my like my best friend does.

Next few chapters are going to be intense so buckle up.

Guys vote !!
Votes are free you see. Push that tiny star at the bottom of your screen and help the book reach other readers as well.

Stay safe
Lots of love
xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 68.2K 54
•completed• When I was six, Baba had got me my first doll. I vividly remember her, my best friend. I had named her Sameera, she had huge eyes and wor...
829K 53K 35
( 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐲𝐚𝐥 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 #𝟏) "Alright this is getting out of my head, just out with it, who is she?" His best friend asked him.. "MERI HONE...
443K 36.1K 27
maanveer singh raghuvanshi a prince of songadh and most eligible bachelor aashi singh singhania a princess of suryagadh and proud daughter what wi...
16.3K 921 12
He has the potential to be the king of a really powerful empire but he chooses to leave the throne to his useless uncle. Hassan Al Amir is kind and n...