The Red Soldier: Origins of t...

By tobyjames16

in 1941 (Y/N) moved to Brooklyn from the United Kingdom to finish his medical training. When America join the... More

PROLOGUE
ISSUE #1
ISSUE #2
ISSUE #3
ISSUE #4
ISSUE #6
ISSUE #7
ISSUE #8
ISSUE #9
ISSUE #10
ISSUE #11
ISSUE #12
EPILOGUE

ISSUE #5

1.4K 57 12
By tobyjames16

Bucky had spent the past week in Whitehall, talking through strategies in long, monotonous, meetings with people he didn't particularly like, or want to spend time with. The only thing stopping him walking out of the meetings was watching (Y/N), who sat between Colonel Phillips and Lieutenant General Harrison, of the British Army.

Everyone wanted to talk to Dr (L/N) now. The privates wanted to see his powers, the aviators of the Royal Air Force wanted to see him fly, the scientists wanted to take his blood and experiment on him, and every man in charge wanted him for their own.

Presently, in this particular meeting, Lieutenant General Harrison was arguing with Colonel Phillips. The fat, old, lietenant general wanted (Y/N), in simple terms, to fly himself over to Berlin and kill Hitler himself – whether that be by dropping a building on him and his personal guard, or by using his powers to explode Hitler's brain.

For the majority of the meeting, (Y/N) had been pulling faces at Steve, trying his hardest to make him laugh, something Bucky Barnes found genuinely entertaining. Steve was so serious in these meetings; although Bucky had found that (Y/N) (L/N) poking his tongue out and going cross-eyed had evoked a silent chuckle from him.

'Hitler's killed and then what happens Lieutenant General?' Colonel Phillips asked loudly, 'his second in command takes his place, his invasion of Europe ensues.'

'Dr (L/N) is a British citizen, he should be fighting for his own country,' said the admiral of the Royal Navy, 'I doubt his father...'

Suddenly, (Y/N) stopped making faces at Steve, his expression grew confused, his lips transforming into a baffled half-smile. Even Peggy, who sat to Colonel Phillip's right, looked rather perplexed.

'My father died when his ship was sunk crossing the channel to France, Admiral Jones,' (Y/N) spat at the head of his country's navy, a grey-haired, sickly looking man. 'Lieutenant General, my brother was taken prisoner whilst fighting in your army. My uncle went missing in action whilst doing the same. My mother worries about her oldest son whilst grieving her husband's death; my auntie's concern for her husband grows by the day, whilst my seven year old cousin cries because her dad may never tuck her into bed again.'

'W-w-well, Dr (L/N)...' the lieutenant general tried, but (Y/N) soon shushed him.

'I wasn't allowed to join your army, Lieutenant General,' he stated plainly, 'I applied to join the ranks as a medic, and you rejected my application because of my body mass index, despite the fact I was in my fourth year of medical school, and therefore more than qualified to do the job, unlike so many of the men you hired – you too admiral.'

'Well, that is beside the point Dr...' Admiral Jones attempted to cut in.

'That is exactly the point, Admiral,' (Y/N) (L/N) almost laughed, 'I was made chief medical officer of the 107th Infantry Regiment of the US Army the moment I applied and completed my basic training, despite being a foreigner with no previous military experience.'

Bucky smiled at (Y/N), silently urging him to continue, he'd been desperate for any sort of entertainment in these meetings for the past week. 'Dr (L/N)....' Lieutenant General Harrison stood up.

'I'm not finished,' (Y/N) snapped.

Colonel Phillips locked eyes with Bucky, his face shining with pride. He must have been enjoying the confrontation as much as him.

The lieutenant colonel returned to his seat sheepishly. 'I remain with the US Army,' (Y/N) said sternly. 'I'd love to fight for my country, but Sergeant Barnes, Captain Rogers, and I are fighting for something so much more than a country. And after all the discussions we've had this week, I know you understand what we're fighting for. I will continue fighting HYDRA, because without them gone, there's no country, or world, worth saving.'

Peggy Carter was the first to rise at this, clapping for Dr (L/N). And then Bucky joined Steve in clapping for him also. Bucky had been with him and Steve on all of those missions. He'd seen how brutally he'd fought, despite the toll it took on his conscience. (Y/N) (L/N) had trained to save lives, not to take them away, and yet he had spent the past two months of his life doing the latter, not truly knowing the millions he was probably saving.

Then, Colonel Phillips stood up and saluted him, and Bucky saw (Y/N)'s lips twitch, as if trying to smile. (Y/N) only truly smiled when the British representatives stood up and clapped. And that's when Bucky smiled. He saw (Y/N) (L/N) smile, and so naturally, his followed.

As the room began to empty, Lieutenant General Harrison held back Bucky, (Y/N), Peggy and Steve. 'Two helicopters are waiting for you, Dr (L/N),' he replied, 'the four of you have been given a week of paid leave.'

'Train tickets will suffice for Sergeant Barnes and myself Lieutenant General, I don't think flying is an efficient use of the military's resources.'

'And for Captain America and Miss Car...'

'Agent Carter,' (Y/N) corrected him, 'she used to break the codes those men of yours couldn't.'

'How would you like to get home, Agent Carter,' asked the lieutenant general.

Peggy smiled at (Y/N), and then turned to Steve as though asking for his opinion. He nodded, a small grin on his face. 'Helicopter, if it isn't too much trouble,' answered Peggy, and the lieutenant nodded, leaving the room.

'Hampstead's twenty minutes away from here on the bus, Peggy,' (Y/N) almost laughed.

'Lieutenant General Harrison was being a prick, Dr (L/N),' she said with a proud smile, 'let him fly Captain Rogers and I to my mother's house, I'd quite like to see her face when a helicopter lands right on top of her flower beds, and I walk out.'

Bucky and (Y/N) sat quietly aboard the north-bound train from King's Cross Station, their uniforms freshly dry-cleaned, glasses of whiskey in their left hands and lit cigarettes in their right. Bucky had lent (Y/N) his copy of 'The Hobbit' and so whilst (Y/N) read contently, he watched, intrigued. It had taken him about a month to finish the novel, and yet (Y/N) seemed to be speeding through it. He'd reached the centre of the book before they'd even passed Doncaster.

It was when they were pulling out of this station when (Y/N) put the book down, folding the corner of the page to mark where he'd gotten to. 'Is something the matter?' he asked Bucky, meeting his blue eyes. They'd been surveying him for over an hour now, although he'd only just taken notice.

'You're a fast reader,' said Bucky, 'what part are you up to?'

'They're riding the barrels out of Mirkwood,' smiled (Y/N), 'imagine having an adventure like that?'

'I think I'd rather stay in The Shire, eating third breakfasts, drinking mead and smoking a pipe.'

'Do you not think that would be a bit boring though?'

'Not if I had the right company,' he smirked, stroking his foot up and down (Y/N)'s leg, causing him to smile bashfully, his stare focusing on the table between them. Bucky continued to focus on him, biting his lower lip to contain a cocksure smirk; he'd never seen (Y/N) so coy, and he couldn't help but admit he quite enjoyed it.

When the train pulled into the central station and stopped on platform two, (Y/N) and Bucky stepped off, their suitcases in hand. Two women stood on the platform: one elderly, wearing a pretty flowered dress and a lilac headscarf, the other dressed in a conductors uniform, her blonde curls cascading over her shoulders. They both waved over at (Y/N) and Bucky as they walked towards them.

Both women hugged (Y/N) tightly, littering his cheeks with kisses. 'Where's your gas mask (Y/N) (M/N)!' the older one scolded.

'She's gone senile,' the younger one complained, 'I've told her there's hardly any chance we'll need them, and yet she still won't let me, or your mother leave the house without these bloody boxes.'

'Never know when or that Nazi bastard might gas us out of our homes.'

When she finally stopped reprimanding him, (Y/N) wiped the red lipstick stains off his cheeks with a handkerchief, looking rather embarrassed. 'This is my grandma, Gladys McGowan, and my aunty, Mary Havelock,' (Y/N) introduced, gesturing to the older lady and the blonde respectively.

'James Barnes,' Bucky smiled, removing his hat, and kissing each of the women's hands.

'Pleasure to meet you James Barnes,' Mary grinned. 'Have you both got your ration books handy? We'll go get some shopping in for tea before it gets dark.' Bucky reached into his jacket pocket and handed (Y/N)'s aunt his ration book.

'Urm, yeah, you will be back before it gets dark though? Won't you?' questioned (Y/N) worryingly, his shaking hands searching for the ration book in the back pocket of his trousers.

'It's here,' Bucky told him, showing him where it was in the outer pocket of his jacket. (Y/N) nodded, handing over his ration book to his aunt.

'Don't fret, we'll be back before dark.' Mrs McGowan said, hugging her grandson, 'Better keep your friend away from the King's Head though, (Y/N),' she warned as the four of them made their down the platform, 'you should see how our Barbra gushes over the yanks.'

'Barbra?' Bucky asked (Y/N) as they exited the train station and the two women walked off in the opposite direction to them.

'My Uncle George's niece,' he replied.

'She single?' joked Bucky, nudging (Y/N) in the shoulder softly.

'Fuck off Barnes,' (Y/N) swore.

'As long as you give me a kiss before I Fuck off,' Bucky Barnes winked, arrogantly. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.2K 927 26
Bucky Barnes was always a pain in Betty's ass. Until he wasn't... Betty Rogers was glad that her brother had made a new friend, someone to look out f...
The Promise By me

Fanfiction

2.1K 61 18
Bucky Barnes X Y/N (Fem) Bucky Barnes, Steve Rogers, and yourself are a close group of best friends. You guys have been through everything. Life is p...
12.6K 399 38
She's got everything to prove as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, but when thrown headfirst into the demise of S.H.I.E.L.D. hellfire, she's hellbent on proving...
758 30 11
Y/n x Bucky You are Steve's sister and Bucky's bestie in the 40s. All three of you join the army in different ways and eventually begin to work toget...