World on Fire | J. Saltzman...

Von multi_fandom2015

I'll return from darkness and will save your precious skin I will end your suffering and let the healing ligh... Mehr

S U M M A R Y
A C T 1
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y - O N E
T W E N T Y - T W O
A U T H O R S N O T E

S E V E N T E E N

222 18 0
Von multi_fandom2015

She hopes Stella is having an easier time unconscious than Josie is now. It's hard to predict how others will react, how they will respond to things they don't understand. But, she does her best, falling into the role others expect of her.

That is why she sits in this circle with Cleo, MG, Ethan, and Finch as if this might actually help. Yes, she needs inspiration, but Cleo doesn't need to know what for.

"We'll find Hope," Cleo says, "but that is the future, and the key to unlocking her humanity lies in your past, so think back on the fondest memories you've shared."

Like trusting her. Like watching how hurt Stella was after the dress debacle. Like remembering how she killed Josie in the simulation. Like knowing that she broke every promise she made to Stella. Like how Hope Mikaelson betrayed her cousin and tried to kill her.

Like a bolt of lightning, inspiration strikes.

She sees a tree with red leaves and dark oak. She sees lightning flashing around them like a storm was brewing. She sees a snake curling around Hope's throat like a noose and an echoing crack of bone. She sees darkness falling with thunder.

"I have an idea," Josie says quickly as she opens her eyes, "but it's a lot. You go first."

"Mine will require some digging," Cleo replies, "and I'm uncertain if it will work."

Finch winces, saying, "Sorry, I don't really know Hope all that well."

"Same," Ethan nods. "I mean, she sort of taught me for like a month, but I doubt she remembers."

"It's cool," MG says. "You guys just leave this to those of us who know Hope best because I think I got something."

An alarm blares through the school, and Josie's heart drops. She places her hands against the stone floor, hiding the glow behind the pillows underneath her. When she looks down, she sighs seeing the red tint.

"What is that?" Ethan asks.

"The magical alarm I put in my dad's weapon cabinet after Cleo tried to kill Hope that one time," Josie replies with a small shrug.

"Super squad assemble," MG says with a determination that makes Josie melt. He has so much optimism, so much positivity. Stella would gag.

When MG drags both Josie and Cleo into the headmaster's office, Isaac and Vanessa are already there. Vanessa holds a hand out, stopping them from coming any closer, her eyes glowing blue as her claws poke out from her skin. Isaac doesn't fare any better, his shoulders tense and his hands in fists at his side.

"What are you doing here?" Isaac demands, his voice muffled by what Josie suspects to be his canines.

"At the moment, being preemptively annoyed by this conversation." The familiar voice makes Josie goes taught. She expected as much as Hope turns, the light illuminating her face as she smirks at them all. "I was actually hoping to raid Dr. Saltzman's weapons stash, which has obviously been emptied."

MG's hand grasps her own. She hadn't noticed the step she took or the way her jaw hurt from her grinding teeth. Right here, right now, all she can think of is how Stella begged for Hope to stop, begged for a sliver of the cousin she knew only for Hope to beat her senseless. Now, she has a chance to do good by Stella.

Josie thought she knew rage, but this is more. This is utter wrath waiting to be unleashed.

Cleo's voice sounds so far away. "I thought it prudent, given our history."

"Why do you need weapons?" Vanessa asks, her eyes fading.

"It's a long story," Hope says. "I may have to kill some vampires and witches and werewolves, and this place is a one-stop-shop for pointy things."

"Are you seriously threatening us?" Josie scoffs.

Hope's gaze shifts to her. For a moment, she can imagine some hesitance, some humanity, but it gets wiped away by a smirk. "No, I'm talking about the Triad. But if you don't get me those weapons, my new friend may have a shot at trying out her new skills."

"We'll get you anything that you need," MG says. Both Isaac and Vanessa shake their heads at him, but neither says a word, "if you give us what we need first."

"You are aware that I could kill you all, right?"

"Trust me, we know what you're capable of," Josie snaps. "Just like you know that the squad will do just about anything to get you back, so you might as well let us give you our best shot." A calmness spreads through her skin as she glances in the mirror, a scaled body standing beside her. "That is, unless, of course, you're too scared."

"If I put up with this best shot, then will you finally give up on me? Or do I have to find that mother of yours who's never around?" Josie clenches her jaw. "Kidding. Sort of. I mean, it would probably be more efficient to find someone closer. I hear the Hales welcomed you into their pack." Her eyes dart over to the wolves as her voice tightens. "Joking, of course."

"We do not wish for anyone to get hurt, including you," Cleo says. "You have heard our terms. Do you accept or not?"

"All you have to do is listen," MG adds.

"To which one of you?"

Isaac is the one to step forward. "All of them."

Hope takes a deep breath. "I guess I have some time to kill before it's time to kill. As long as Faith is allowed to join. She's waiting outside for an invitation."

"Faith?" Isaac frowns.

Vanessa deflates as Hope grins. "You've lost track of your miracle hybrid. She's with me now. Such a shame you thought I'd be a good teacher. I am, just not exactly teaching what you want me to. So, let her in, and I'll listen to your thing, get my gear, and leave with my hybrid. Let's begin."

"Good, Chosen. Let them think they are the ones deciding their fates," Josie hears as she walks away, desperate for some sleep to talk to Stella for just five minutes. "They'll never see it coming."

~~~~~

The stares don't exactly put Faith at ease, but she smiles anyway at the display in front of her. One of the students, a young boy named Pedro, had dragged a chair out for her to sit beside Hope at the desk she had been given. Faith can practically feel the judgment from everyone around her—the idea that she is heartless or a monster Hope created or just plain crazy—but she pays it no mind.

Actually, it does bother her. A lot. It bothers Faith a lot that the people who saved her life are now disappointed in how she spends that life, but her smile can cover that insecurity.

"Dare I ask what's happening?" Hope asks with a finger playing on her lip as curtains open in front of them, some students dancing around the stage. While Hope seems annoyed to say the least, Faith watches happily with a grin.

The boy named MG plays around with the microphone, saying, "This is Salvatore Idol."

Faith begins clapping while Hope replies, "If people are going to start to sing, I'm gonna turn this into Survivor."

Faith's clapping falters as MG's eyes widen. "Whoa, joking. She's joking. We did a covenant spell. She can't hurt anyone during the show."

"Physically, but I can hurt you emotionally. And I'm pretty sure Faith can do both if she wants."

"I don't," Faith says, raising a finger in the air. "I don't want to hurt you."

"Noted," MG swallows a gulp of air. "Here's how it works—ten stars representing ten of your friends who are going to perform for you, and at the end of each round, you have to tell us how you feel, and the truth orb will keep you honest."

Hope sighs as she leans forward to pick up the glass ball. "This contest is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of." It glows blue. "It's working." Faith slams her heel on Hope's toes; Hope turns her unbothered gaze and whispers, "Try that again and see where it gets you."

"Be nice," Faith murmurs.

"I don't do nice anymore."

"Let the games begin!" MG exclaims hesitantly. He motions away as another boy takes the stage, nervously coming up to the microphone.

"When I first came to this school, I didn't really fit in with any of the factions, but I always really looked up to you, Hope, because you didn't care about fitting in. You were unique, and when I found out I actually was a fairy."

"Wayne, I'm gonna stop you right there," Hope says while holding her hand out and grasping the ball, "because the only thing that I'm feeling is, um, irritation bordering on homicidal rage."

As the orb glows blue, the boy scoffs, "You know my name's Wade."

"I also know I was only nice to you because of Landon. Why don't you go sprout some of your ridiculous wings and go back to Fern Gully or wherever you're from?"

Faith winces as one of the big stars on the stage bursts into flames. "Literal burn," she mutters.

"I was wrong," Hope grins as Wade sadly walks off stage. "This is fun. Next!"

More people come and go, but Hope remains as savage as ever. Faith hates to admit that she snorts sometimes, but truthfully, it is difficult to watch everyone's expressions falling with disappointment.

"Can't you be a bit nicer?" Faith mutters as they prepare for the next participant. "Look at all their little faces."

"You seem to like my roasts," Hope says as she wobbles in the chair. "You're laughing."

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Ok, see?" Faith motions to the stage where Pedro now stands. "Can't you be just a little nice for the kid? For me?"

Hope stares at her for a moment before she sighs. "We'll see."

"I'm not scared of you like everyone else," Pedro says, holding a relatively large canvas for his size in front of him. "You taught me how to kick monster butt, and you helped me with all of my art projects, so I made this for you." He turns the painting around for everyone to see the elementary painting of Hope. "Because you are my Salvatore Idol."

"Awww," Faith coos. "How sweet is that? How can you say something bad now, huh?"

As MG sneaks towards them, Hope whispers, "You know, my cousin sort of adopted him. Wonder what he'd say if he knew I'm responsible for putting her in the hospital."

Faith's smile drops. "I'm sorry, what?"

Hope turns away and puts a hand over the microphone to speak to MG. "Look, I know my humanity's off, but I'm not a monster. Do you really want me to respond to that?"

MG glances back. "Uh, maybe you should just tell me how you feel."

She picks up the ball. "I feel like Pedro should have his fingers cut off and never make art again."

MG eyes the blue ball before he begins clapping and says, "Good job, Pedro. Really good job!" The star burns up, and Pedro's smile drops. "Let's bring in the next contestant, please?"

"You're wasting my time with these scrubs. Pedro. Wade. Are you gonna bring out the A-Team or what?"

As MG walks away, Faith whispers, "What did you mean about your cousin?"

"Not important."

"Uh, kind of important, because I sort of owe her my life."

"I have a feeling she's not going to call in that debt any time soon, so relax. We're almost through this..." Hope trails off as her eyes fall back on the stage: Faith sees a lanky young man standing there with wild hair and a partially hunched back. "I can't believe what I'm seeing. Since Landon's dead, I'm guessing that you're a golem made from my late boyfriend's remains?"

"Illusion ring, actually," the man says, showing off an ornate ring. "I'm not the real thing, but this letter is." He pulls out a sealed envelope from his pocket, opening it to read. "He left it behind for you, Hope."

Silence falls on the group. Faith catches a glimpse of Hope's clenched fists above the table, so she moves closer until their thighs are touching.

"Dear Hope. If you are reading this, it means I'm dead, which, admittedly, sucks, but it's not all bad because that probably means you beat Malivore, which probably means you had to become the tribrid, and I know you never wanted that, but it does mean that you get to do what most of us only ever dream of. You get to live forever. Everything we talked about—backpacking through Europe, hiking up the Pacific Coast—you now have all the time in the world to do those things. I know you feel like you're alone, but you're not. You have friends that love you. People that will never give up on you, no matter what. Don't pull away. My wish is for you to have a long, happy life, Hope. Do all the things I'll never get to. And wherever you go, remember that I'll always love you. Forever."

The words tug at Faith's heart. A love like that is eternal, not something to be used lightly. They must be incredibly desperate. "Hope?" She whispers softly.

"I'm feeling something," Hope replies, picking up the glass ball. "Boredom. Yeah, that's what I'm feeling. Um, it's Cleo, right? Fake Landon's are kind of her thing."

Another star disintegrates as the man takes off the ring, a girl now standing in his place.

"I should thank you. You pushed me to make the transition," Hope says with a smile, "but that also means that Landon's death is your fault. If not for all your secrets, this could have all been avoided. Why don't we just skip to the end? Uh, Ethan. I'm gonna guess you were gonna use some hokey sports metaphor. Jocks like you tend to find their identity in teams because you're completely unremarkable by yourself, so pass. You're up, Finch, since the real heavy hitters aren't here."

"Josie's on her way," a girl says.

"Too bad. Time's up. You can take her place. The school taught you not to be a lone wolf which is really just a cover for your codependency. And as for you, MG, if Salvatore Idol were to be televised, you'd be canceled before the title card, so if this was your big idea, I give it zero stars. See? Game over. Now, where are my weapons?"

We might need to take a short hiatus. I need to catch up on writing. 

Hope you enjoyed!

-L

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

1.3K 34 14
Faith Mikaelson has suffered through a lot with the loss of her mother, Hayley Marshall, and her father, Klaus Mikaelson. She has grieved and is stil...
34K 762 19
"There's no such thing as luck. There's decisions and consequences." When he was 13, Adam Burkhardt sold his soul for the last person he had his moth...
67K 1.6K 52
No one tells you how much things will hurt when those you love most are ripped from your life. It's been seven years since Hope and Henry Mikaelson h...
58K 2.2K 25
The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted. The Mikaelson Academy for the Elite and Superior. Two schools. A decade-old rivalry. What happens when...