Marina Oneshots

By justanotherwriter234

A collection of one shots about the lives of Maya Bishop and Carina DeLuca More

Flatlining
Crying 'cause you weren't around
Flatlining Part Two
Time
Santa's Elf
22:50
I Found You
Love You From a Distance
Love You From a Distance Part Two
A Little Bit Yours
Love In A Photograph
All I Ask Is That I See You Later
Honeymoon Hijinks
Game Of Survival
Game of Survival Part Two
Game Of Survival Part Three
A Little Bit Yours Part Two
Ripple In The Ocean

All Is Fair In The Courtroom

2.7K 96 145
By justanotherwriter234

A/N: Hello, hello, hello! How are you all doing? Thank you all so much for the response to Game of Survival - I'm so glad you all enjoyed it! I have another one-shot for you before I officially come back in February - so count this as a little New Years gift!

It has been an interesting few days BUT this has come at the end of it so all is well! I hope you enjoy, especially sweet-maya who's prompt request this was! Happy reading!

A few notes: Amelia is not related to Derek. Ben and Bailey aren't together. Carina and Arizona were never together and Andrew never knew Arizona (basically any known relationships that aren't ready established don't exist!)

New York is a powerful place. It is the place where people go to make their dreams come true, however unfortunately it was also the place where people's dreams go to die. It is competitive and exclusive, social and influential, intimidating and is one of the wealthiest cities in the world.

And if you are a lawyer it is one of the best places to be. Corporations that were constantly involved in scandals, wealthy people always looking for people to get them out of trouble and people who were seeking out justice. It's the place of opportunity.

In the Upper East Side resided the office of Bishop & Associates - one of the best law firms in the country, with some of the best lawyers under its belt. Maya Bishop was the managing partner having worked her way up through the ranks until she opened her own practice - instantly taking control of the market and dominating the field.

Maya was currently sat in her office, her corner facing office having a nice view of central park - the exact place where she would take her morning runs.

She had her desk covered in paperwork for her latest upcoming case in a few hours.

"Knock knock," Someone said, poking their head in.

"Herrera," Maya greeted. "Everything okay?"

"All good - just wanted to see how you were doing."

"You wanted to see how I was doing?" Maya asked, raising her eyebrow.

"This is an interesting case - family custody, not usually your style."

"Correct - it's not. But I wanted to do it - I owed her a favour. She delivered my nephew so I said if she ever needed anything I was here."

"Well you are looking sharp," She complimented.

"Thanks," Maya smiled. She was wearing a white blouse with a light blue suit - the colour perfectly matching her eyes, her hair lightly curled in waves. Ready for court - but then Maya always looked ready for court. Perfectly dressed every single day.

"You all ready," Andy asked, taking a seat.

"I am - but you know how family law is."

"Unpredictable - yeah I know."

"Who's the judge?"

"Judge Warren."

"Good guy." Andy nodded.

"He is - fair, never heard any complaints."

"How you doing Bishop?" A new voice said.

"You know there is a door for a reason, Hughes. You knock on it." Maya said, dropping her pen to sit back in her chair.

"Hm, is it?" She questioned, before sitting down next to Andy. "So? Big case today."

"I wouldn't call it 'big' given what we've dealt with before." Maya replied, she'd dealt with nearly half a billion dollar lawsuits before - on her scale, this wasn't big. However, it was important and she was putting just about as much effort into this as she would for a corporate case.

"I mean - who it is against !" Vic replied, with a grin on her face.

"Ah," Maya smiled.

"I'd love to take down those fuckers," Vic said, as Andy shot Maya an amused smile at the woman's antics.

"What time is court?" Andy asked.

"Eleven," Maya replied, checking her watch. "Actually-", she moved her head around. "Travis!" She called out, the man walking past walking into his boss's office. "Can you ask if my car is here?"

"On it," he replied.

Maya began packing away all her notes, each folder tabbed and colour coded based on reference and argument. "I need to get going. I'll probably be there all day - so see you both tomorrow."

"Bye boss."

"And get out of my office!" Maya said, walking out the door as Travis told her her car was downstairs.

Meanwhile, around fifteen minutes away Carina was sat in her office looking out at the view she had while her brother was finishing off a few notes for the case.

They both owned their law practice, DeLuca & Co and it was one of the best. Having differed from their father's choice of them pursuing medicine they had both found a passion for the law. Having access to high profile clients from the offset thanks to their connections in Italy they had been on the front foot for most of their lives. But they had not come without hard work and long nights.

They were workaholics, the both of them, known as two of the best lawyers in not only the city but in the country, consistently ranked among the top ten and top five every tear, and given they were blood-related it only helped their image in a field that was constantly evolving and changing. They held a level of power designated to a very few number of people, but they'd earned it.

"Hey DeLuca squared," Amelia Shepherd said as she walked into the brunette's office.

"Hey Amelia," they both greeted.

"You ready for court today?"

"Aren't we always?" Andrew joked.

"When was the last time you both ran co-counsel?"

"Last year maybe?" Carina said.

"The Grant case - oil distributors and the massive fall out," Andrew replied, remembering the case well.

Carina nodded in agreement. "What can I do for you?" She asked the woman.

"Ah I need these signed," She said, handing over a handful of files. Carina flickered through them and then signed her name on the bottom, before Andrew walked over and did the same - needing the names of both partners.

"Thank you both - who are you against today?" She asked, taking back the files.

"Bishop," Carina replied, making Amelia roll her eyes.

"Blondie is attractive but damn is she annoying - well, destroy her today!" Amelia said. "See you tomorrow."

"Bye Amelia." They both replied with a laugh.

"You really ready to face Bishop?" Andrew teased.

Carina laughed. "I've beaten her before, I can do it again."

"Ready to go?" Andrew asked, buttoning his suit. Having chosen a checked grey one, with a white shirt and a dark red tie.

"Ready," Carina replied, taking her own suit jacket from her chair. Having chosen a black one, with a silk white blouse, only a small part of her extensive wardrobe being displayed, and a black pair of heels.

Andrew grabbed his case file, as did Carina and they both walked out the door - a stride in their step.

Two black escalades pulled up outside the district court house and three lawyers stepped out.

Maya walked out the door, the driver having already rounded the car and opened it for her. "Thank you Gibson."

"Pleasure. Have a good day in court."

A few feet away a similar situation was playing out.

"Thank you Schmitt," Carina and Andrew said - Carina walking out first.

"You're welcome Mrs and Mr DeLuca," he replied, closing the door after them.

"DeLuca," Maya said, falling in step with Carina.

"Bishop," Carina replied in the same tone, a glint of amusement behind her voice. "Ready for today?"

"I'm always ready - especially when it's against you." Maya quipped back.

They walked through the halls of the courthouse, their strides only being described as 'power walk' that alone allowed them to command the attention wherever they were, people moving to the side to let them through - Andrew silently following, he knew when he should stay out of things this was definitely one of those times.

"Really because if I remember you weren't prepared when you lost to me at Harvard. Three times, or was it four - I forget." Carina smirked.

"In moot court?" Maya laughed. "Please - don't tell me that's your proudest achievement - because if that is, that is incredibly sad. Plus I don't like to live in the past, because right now we are in the present and right now, in this case, I'm going to kick your ass. Just like I've done before - in the real world, not moot court."

"Oh I'll look forward to you attempting to do that - good luck, you'll need it." Carina said, before walking over to her client as did Maya.

"Calliope," Carina greeted.

"Arizona," Maya smiled. "How are you?"

"We are here today to determine a custody modification of a minor between two divorced parents Arizona Robbins and Calliope Torres. The trial's witness pool is unusual in that it will be shared by both parents.

The parties have stipulated to call each witness once, at which time each side will have a chance to examine that witness. If you are testifying remember that is not a popularity contest. You are not chasing sides, we're all on the same side, the side of a six-year-old child.

Dr Robbins, Dr Torres, custody hearings are without exception, very difficult on all parties involved, your daughter included. Things said here will undoubtedly be harsh and cannot be unsaid.

I ask this of parents before I begin any custody hearing. Are you both sure you want to proceed?"

Both Maya and Carina looked at their clients, nodding for them to answer.

"Yes, Your honour. I'm sure," Arizona replied.

"Dr Torres?" Judge Warren asked.

"I'm sure, Your Honour."

"Then this court is now in session to determine sole physical custody of Sofia Robbin Sloan Torres." Warren announced, banging his gavel.

"Your Honour, we bring Dr Owen Hunt to the stand," Carina said, standing up from her chair.

Owen moved from his place at the benches where the rest of the witnesses were and walked up to the witness stand.

"Dr Hunt, you worked with Dr Torres before, correct?"

"Yes we have on numbers occasions."

"Could you please explain some of your work?"

"Dr Torres and I worked together on a pro-bono project building prosthetics for injured veterans."

"And that's a very meaningful project for you because you're a veteran yourself. Is that correct?"

"Yes I served as a surgeon in the Army."

"What was the connection for Dr Torres?" Carina continued, moving in front of the table.

"Well, she just cares," Owen replied, giving Callie a smile. "While she didn't serve she's always been willing to pitch in, to help. She's a very empathetic person. Big hearted."

"Has Dr Torres discussed her move to Seattle with you?"

"She has."

"Did you feel it was a sudden move?" Carina continued, beginning to walk up and down, asserting her dominance on the floor.

"Well, not for her. I mean, it was seen because Dr Blake's schedule determined the move, but for Callie, no. This is who she is. She gets thrown a situation - it doesn't daunt her. It inspires her. I've seen it time and time again in the OR. She just jumps in, and this is no different. She's found a great school for Sofia, and she's making the best of a tough situation with grace. It's something I admire about her."

"No further questions at this time," Carina finished, shooting Maya a smirk as she sat down.

"We call Dr Eliza Minnick to the stand," Maya stated, before smiling in response, standing up herself and walking onto the floor.

"You live with Dr Robbins don't you?" She asked the doctor.

"I rent a room in her apartment," Minnick replied.

"I bet you never expected to be living with a six-year old?"

"Yeah sure - I wasn't thrilled to be living with a kid, until I started living with one. I've never been around a lot of kids before, I work in sports science so mainly athletes. But Sofia's a blast. She's so smart and hilarious. I mean, she and her mum are just laughing all the time. The place is so happy. Sofia makes the place happy. So much dark stuff happens in hospitals, and at work it's- it's really nice to come home to such a happy girl."

"Thank you so much Dr Minnick. No further questions. We now call Dr Penolope Blake to the stand." Maya continued, walking back to her table to reshuffle some notes. She made sure to give Arizona an encouraging nod as she did so.

"So would you say you love Sofia?" Maya opened strongly.

"I- I have come to yes."

Maya could already sense the nervousness behind the red headed woman's tone, and she was fully ready to exploit that to win her case.

"Oh, that's nice." She replied without any touch of sincerity. She looked into Penny's eyes as she spoke, knowing she could break someone down with just a stare. "And how long have you known Sofia now?"

"Well, we met a few months ago."

"Oh and how well would you say you've gotten to know Sofia in that time?"

"Very well." Penny replied.

"Oh well, that's very good. What's her favourite colour?"

"Blue." Penny replied.

"Her favourite toy?" Maya asked, returning back into her seat crossing one leg over the other as she leant back.

"Objection," Carina called out. "Irrelevant. What is this, a quiz show?" She asked, facing Maya's smug grin.

"I'm trying to establish the nature of Dr Blake's relationship with Sofia."

"I'll allow it. Please continue."

Penny took a moment to think. "Her favourite toy is astronaut barbie. Her favourite cereal is Whole Grain O's. Her favourite animal is a unicorn. Her favourite sea creature is a mermaid, and her bedtime is 8.30. And she loves to pick out her outfit in the morning. You can ask me anything you want."

"Okay. I imagine your work schedule will be pretty gruelling?" Maya said, changing tactics.

"Actually, it's a research fellowship so it will be far more predictable than a surgery resident's schedule."

"Oh I see. What was Sofia wearing this morning?" Maya said.

"What?" Penny asked, clearly taken aback by the question.

"What was she wearing today?" Maya repeated, standing up from her chair to walk the floor again.

"I-I don't know."

"You didn't see her this morning?" Maya inquired.

"No. I-I did. I just, uh-I can't recall exactly what it-"

"Objection relevance?" Carina called out, her head resting on her hand.

"Moving on." Maya replied, knowing she'd rattled Penny with her question. "What grade is Sofia in?"

"Second." Penny answered, her hands jittering against her thighs. "No - first. She's in first grade."

"Are you sure?" Maya pressed, taking another step forward.

"Yes."

"Because you didn't sound sure and you keep saying this is a child that you know, a child that you're soon going to co-parent. I can see how you might not know what she wore to school today, but to not know what grade she is in-"

"So many objections!" Carina called out, standing from her chair. "Badgering, irrelevant!"

"Sustained." Warren replied, making Carina smile as she sat.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to belabour the point but you said it yourself. You've only known Sofia a few months so-"

"No! That is not what I meant."

"But that is what you said!" Maya countered.

"All right, counsellor," Warren intervened.

"I know what grade she is in," Penny said, trying to save herself. "I do."

"No further questions, Your honour." Maya ended.

"That was bad," Andrew whispered to his sister.

"Really, really bad," Carina sighed. "We need to save it."

"We call Dr Miranda Bailey to the stand," Andrew said, buttoning up his suit jacket as he stood. "You're the chief of surgery. Doctors Robbins and Torres report to you."

"That is correct."

"And for those that aren't surgeons. Dr Torres operates on bones, while Dr Robbins operates on babies - is that correct?"

"Fetuses and babies - yes."

"How does the schedule of an orthopaedic surgeon compare to that of a fetal surgeon?" He asked.

"It varies day to day."

"I see, but in your opinion which specialty has more unscheduled surgeries?" He continued, searching for the answer he was looking for.

"There's really no comparison."

Andrew sighed, apparently Dr Bailey was going to be a tough witness to get what he wanted. "But Dr Robbins' schedule is dictated by the unpredicted nature of childbirth, is it not?"

"Objection speculation." Both Maya and Miranda called out. One of them surprising the room more than the other.

Andrew blinked and then looked around the room, "She can't do that!" All three lawyers protested.

"You can't do that," Judge Warren agreed.

"I asked if Dr Robbins' schedule is dictated by the unpredicted nature of childbirth?"

"Objection speculation," Maya repeated, standing up.

"Your honour, I'm asking an Expert Witness her opinion," Andrew explained. "It's only speculation if counsel is calling into question the expertise of this witness as Chief."

"Overruled," Warren said. "Counsellor proceed."

Carina shot Maya a smug grin from her chair as the blonde rolled her eyes.

"Dr Robbins' schedule is unpredictable, wouldn't you say?" Andrew tried again.

Dr Bailey sighed. "It can be yes- any surgeons-"

"Sure, but how many unscheduled emergency procedures did Dr Robbins log over the past six months?" He asked.

"I have no idea."

"I would like to introduce into evidence Document 2C," Andrew said, retrieving the file from his sister, handing one to the Judge and one to Dr Bailey. Carina meanwhile stood up and handed one over to Maya, who almost snatched it from her grasp, Carina giving her a wink as she walked away.

"Take a look, this might refresh your memory," he said. "What is that report, Doctor?"

"This is a list of emergency procedures performed by Dr Torres and Dr Robbins in the last six months."

"And according to that document how many emergency procedures did Dr Torres log in the past six months?"

Dr Bailey flicked through the pages. "Uh-27."

"And Dr Robbins?"

Dr Bailey cleared her throat before shuffling in her seat. "92."

"92." Andrew repeated. "Now even for a surgeon wouldn't you call that kind of schedule gruelling?"

"You can say that. I wouldn't," Dr Bailey replied. "I would say it's widely successful, but then I would never put a woman's success in the con column."

Maya bit her lip in happiness, knowing Dr Bailey had taken the DeLucas' argument down a peg, and essentially turned it on its head.

"What about her daughter though?" Andrew continued. "92. 92 times she dropped everything, Sofa included, to go do her job."

"Would you ask that if she were a man?" Bailey countered, looking at the man in front of her.

"92 times he chose work over her child. Your honour-"

"92 times Dr Robbins was saving babies, saving parents from losing their own children!" Bailey added, not wanting one of her surgeons to be penalised for saving lives.

"No further questions," Andrew finished, walking back to the table.

"Don't be worried," Maya whispered to Arizona, seeing the nervous look on her face. "They are trying to turn your strength into a weakness - but we won't let them. Dr Bailey did us a favour talking about your success." She assured her, the fellow blonde nodding in response.

"We call Dr Meredith Grey to the stand," Carina called.

"Would you say Dr Torres and Sofia are close as a mother-daughter relationship?"

"They couldn't possibly be any closer," Meredith responded.

"So you've seen Dr Torres and Sofia frequently over the years?"

"All the time. My daughter Zola and Sofia went to the same daycare, and now they are at the same school. Sofia's actually at my house right now." Meredith said, the school day now finished.

"And what about Dr Blake?" Carina asked. "In your estimation, how does she get along with Sofia?"

"Great. Sofia loves Penny. She's a great kid like that. Open to new people, as long as they are good people, and Penny is a very good person."

"Thank you Dr Grey." Carina smiled. "Your witness Bishop." Carina said, walking back to her seat.

"You mentioned that Sofia is at your house today, Dr Grey."

"She is," Meredith confirmed.

"It must be nice for you and Dr Torres to have daughters around the same age and they get along right?"

"It is. They love playing together."

"So who's watching your daughters right now while you are here?" Maya asked.

"Their Aunt Maggie."

"You recently lost your husband. Is that correct?"

"I did."

"My sincerest condolences," Maya said, her words having meaning this time. She couldn't imagine losing someone she loved.

"Thank you."

"So, you're a single parent."

"I am."

"And Callie's a single parent."

"Is that a question or-"

"So you two must help each other out a lot - two single parents. You help Callie, Callie helps you? When she has to work, when she has plans, when she needs 'a night off'."

"A 'night off'?" Meredith laughed. "Being a mum isn't a job, we don't punch in and punch out. There are no nights off. We are both single parents - it's not a dirty word. But we do need help getting our kids to where they need to be with all their limbs intact, so we lean on each other. That's not a sign of bad parenting or a weakness if that's where you're going with this." Meredith said.

'Perfect,' Maya thought, resting her arms back against the table top.

"It takes a village and we have a village."

"Here in New York," Maya continued, knowing this was going to be a big swing in their own court.

"What?" Meredith asked.

"The village you just mentioned. The seamless support system these mothers built, this essential network. It's all here in New York. Her friends, her school, her teachers, her home. It's all here in New York. That's what Sofia would be leaving. Is that what you were saying?" Maya asked.

"No - I was saying-"

"No further questions your honour," Maya cut off, smiling as she moved off the table and sat back in her chair.

"Checkmate," Maya mouthed to the brunette who was staring right at her, a glare behind those brown eyes.

"Try me," Carina mouthed back. "We call Dr Richard Webber to the stand."

"Dr Webber you work with Dr Robbins - is that correct?"

"Yes, that's correct."

"Would you say there's overlap between your specialties?"

"Yes, there is."

"So, you two have gotten close over the years. Professionally?"

"We have yes."

"Are you a trivia buff?" Carina asked.

"Objection. Relevance?" Maya questioned.

"Earlier we were on a game show, Bishop. Not a fan anymore?" Carina quipped back.

"Make your point counsellor," Warren said to Carina.

"Are you a trivia buff?" Carina repeated.

"Yes," Richard replied.

"So you and Dr Robbins have enjoyed trivia nights together."

"That's correct, yes."

"You go and play, drink, and flirt with women, is that correct?"

"No it isn't. I'm married and I don't drink."

Maya sat forward in her chair and pulled out a yellow legal pad. Drawing two question marks on it. Maya had no clue what Carina was talking about and she needed to know. Now.

"So Dr Robbins did all the drinking and flirting," Carina reworded. "You just went for the Trivia?"

"That's an over simplified quest-"

"It's a yes or no question Dr Webber."

"Yes."

"You're good at trivia?"

"Don't be modest," Carina smiled. "How many times do you think you and Dr Robbins have won over, let's say, the past six months?"

"I wasn't counting," Richard answered.

"The bar was. They kept a running tally. Does this piece of evidence Document 3C, refresh your recollection." Carina handed out the three pieces again. Making sure to take her time giving it to the blonde who scowled in annoyance.

"You've won twenty-five times in the past six months. That's twenty five night Dr Robbins was out drinking with you, not including the times you lost. Where was Sofia during those evenings?"

"I don't know."

"I'm sorry - what was that?"

"I wasn't privy to her childcare schedule."

"Well let me introduce into evidence document 4C," She did the same rounds again, Maya taking the paper from her hands as she scanned over its contents. "It's a transcript of messages from Dr Robbins to Dr Torres, asking her to take Sofia unexpectedly."

"Callie and I swap all the time," Arizona whispered to Maya as she looked over the document. "We have very flexible schedules."

"Shh," Maya replied, trying to think of a way to spin this in her favour. This was bad.

"Could you please tell the court the tally at the bottom?" Carina asked.

"34," he revealed, making Arizona scoff in irritation.

"34," Carina repeated, walking the floor. "She asked Dr Torres to switch with her 34 times. Now let's do some maths here. We know she was out with your Dr Webber 25 times and that's in addition to the previously mentioned 92 times Dr Robbins was unavailable to parent her own child due to her professional demand. Andrew, how many days in six months?"

"180," he replied, using their innate ability to co-counsel to dominate the courtroom.

"180 days. So far we have counted approximately 150 times in which Dr Robbins shirked her duties. 150 out of 180!"

"Objection!" Maya cried. Standing up and walking to the floor. "Badgering the witness. Calls for speculation," she rallied off.

"Sustained," Warren agreed.

"Your honour we'd like to request a short recess," Maya asked, needing some time to figure out this case.

"Recess," Judge Warren granted, banging his gavel.

Maya looked at Carina and shook her head. "Low," She mouthed, before walking away with Arizona for a short break.

"So Callie's okay slut-shaming me now?!" Arizona said.

They had moved to a private room within the court house for a short recess before they continued.

"Don't let them rattle you. This is what Carina does in court. She tries to get under your skin. We will win this case okay. You hired me because I am the best. I know you both and yes I admit that was low of her, of them both."

"They're making it sound like a working mum is a bad mum. We just lost in there - right? Because they made me sound like I was a selfish, irresponsible, sex-crazed-"

"Arizona, did you hear any of what I just said?" Maya asked, taking a seat opposite her.

"I don't-"

"Stop. You have your chance right now. They tried to rewrite the story, but we are going to set it straight. You are an incredible mother Arizona. I know that. Everyone in that room knows that. We just have to convince Judge Warren that Sofia deserves to stay in New York with you. You tell the truth up there and we win this case - okay?"

Arizona took a deep breath, staring out the window at the New York skyline. "Okay. Let's go win this."

Maya smiled. "Let's go win."

"When Sofia was born how did that day start for you?" Andrew asked Callie.

"I was in a car accident," She recalled, taking a shaky breath.

"Can you tell us what you remember about the accident?"

"I don't remember much but I remember- I remember waking up on the hood of the car. I was covered in glass, I was barely..I'm so sorry," Callie said, feeling her emotions rise to the surface.

"Take all the time you need," Andrew replied sympathetically.

"I was barely conscious and the only thing I could feel was just pain all over. I could have died on the hood of that car. And I wanted to give up, but I couldn't because I was pregnant with Sofia, and if I died, she died. So I had to fight. To stay alive, for my daughter's sake. Sofia is the reason I'm still alive today," she sniffled, wiping her eyes.

"Thank you Dr Torres. We call Arizona Robbins to the stand." He said, his sister taking over.

Maya gave the blonde a reassuring nod before she took to the stand, wiping her hands on her trousers as she sat.

"Dr Robbins you were with Dr Torres before she was pregnant?"

"Yes."

"Were you together when she got pregnant?" Carina quickly continued.

"No."

"So her pregnancy was not an agreement you entered into together, correct?"

"No."

"It was an agreement she entered into with Dr Mark Sloan - correct?" She asked, walking the floor as she spoke.

"They agreed after the fact but yes Mark was Sofia's father. Callie and I were together. We were a couple before the pregnancy and then after Sofia was conceived."

"So you became part of the parenting plan later, correct? Just to be clear Dr Sloan and Dr Torres were Sofia's parents, and then you came around."

Arizona laughed. "No, I didn't 'come around'. I'm Sofia's mother, I legally adopted her."

"Her last names are Sloan and Torres." Carina pointed out, folding her arms.

"I'm going to have to stop you before you continue for your own sake."

"Come on Robbins - you can do this," Maya muttered under her breath.

"You're not going to imply that I am any less Sofia's mother because we don't share the same DNA."

"Dr Robbins - excuse me," Carina tried to interrupt.

"Because that would be offensive, it would be offensive to anyone in this room who has an adopted child or is an adopted child and for you to say that-"

"Dr Robbins!" Carina repeated, trying to regain her position back.

"I chose to be Sofia's mother! It didn't not fall into my lap. There was a choice, and I could stay or I could run and I chose motherhood. And it was the best choice I ever made. I love my child and I want her with me, but I know no matter how this ends she'll survive. She'll be healthy and safe and well taken-care of and loved. Because we are her mothers."

"No further questions," Carina said, walking back ignoring the proud look on Maya's face.

"We will take a short break before I come to my final decision," Judge Warren decided, banging his gavel and letting the two parties walk out of the room.

"So what do you think?" Callie asked as soon as Andrew closed the door to their room. "Was that good, was that bad?"

"We took a few punches in there I will admit," Carina said, taking a seat. "But I have faith in what we presented up there. We made valid points, we have reason and evidence. But with cases like these it can be hard to tell what the judge is thinking."

"Okay, okay," Callie breathed, taking her own seat and putting her head in her hands.

"You did good up there," Andrew praised. "You spoke from the heart - everyone said good things about you. Your work as a doctor, you are compassionate, generous, smart, you have plans for Seattle - I think we have a real shot here," He continued, giving her arm a squeeze in support.

"Thank you both, for everything. Whichever way this goes, thank you for helping me fight."

"Our pleasure," Carina smiled.

"That was good Robbins," Maya said as they sat down. "You told your truth, you were honest. You made Carina speechless which is a very hard thing to accomplish and you made a statement up there. It was powerful and it would have resonated with the Judge, saying you knew regardless that your daughter would be taken care of. I think you have a strong case here."

"Yeah?" Arizona asked, almost in disbelief from her outburst on the stand.

"I really do." Maya smiled. "I honestly do believe you will win today and Sofia will come back home with you and keep her village in New York."

"How long do you think until he will have an answer?"

Maya checked her watch, "Well we've been waiting around half an hour so not too much longer. Judge Warren is usually very efficient with his cases - he would have heard more than enough evidence to make a judgement." Maya said, the two having taken a few moments to get some fresh air before they came back inside.

Arizona nodded, drumming her fingers against the table.

"Thank you Maya, for everything. I couldn't have done any of this without you." She said gratefully.

"Don't even think about it Robbins."

They were interrupted by a knock on the door. "Come in," Maya called.

One of the bailiffs walked in. "Judge Warren is ready for you."

"Thank you," Maya smiled. "You ready?"

"Let's go," Arizona said, as they walked back out into the corridor.

The group all made their way back into the empty court room, taking their places - both Maya and Carina staring at one another as they'd walked down the middle of the room, splitting off at the end to sit in their chairs.

Once everyone was settled the bailiff stood. "All rise and come to order. Honourable Judge Benjamin Warren presiding."

They all watched Judge Warren re-enter the court room and sit down. "Please be seated."

The sound of chairs moving filled the silent room, the decision causing the tension in the air to thicken. These were the moments that made Maya's stomach tighten, she felt confident in her case but you could never be too confident - often that is people's downfall.

Carina and Andrew were feeling the exact same thing, that same gut-wrenchingly tight feeling, as if a coil is being wound up in your body, making it almost impossible to breathe.

"I have taken all testimony and evidence into this matter into submission," Judge Warren started. "And after careful consideration my ruling is as follows."

The room's tension reached its peak, at this moment, no one was breathing.

"I hereby grant sole physical custody of Sofia Robbin Sloan Torres to Arizona Robbins."

Judge Warren banged his gavel for the last time that day, his verdict final.

"Oh my god," Arizona whispered.

"Congratulations," Maya smiled, the blonde pulling her in for a tight hug.

Meanwhile a very different reaction was happening only a few feet away. "How? How did this happen?" Callie cried, being consoled by Penny. Andrew and Carina sighed in defeat as he began to tidy away their notes.

Ten minutes later the room was cleared out, all except for Maya and Carina - the two finalising some paperwork they had to give in to the court before they left.

"Good case today Bishop," Carina said, not looking up from her work.

"Is that you saying congratulations?" Maya asked with a tilt of her head.

"Don't push it. I said good case. That's it."

"I guess I'll take that. But you did good today too. Gave me a run for my money at times."

"Thank you - I know a compliment from you is hard work." Carina said, standing up and waiting as Maya finished packing up.

"I only give them when they are due," Maya replied. "Now if you excuse me my wife is making me dinner tonight - a little celebratory tradition."

"I feel sorry for her - being married to you."

"Oh I can assure you, my wife is always left perfectly satisfied." Maya winked before walking away leaving Carina alone in the empty courtroom.

An hour or so later, after heading back to the office to quickly fill out some more forms and return her folder - not needing to bring it home with her, she walked back out the office, saying goodbye to a few of her staff before walking back down to her car.

"Where to boss?" Jack asked.

"Home. It's been a long day."

"I can imagine. You beat the DeLucas' asses today, that deserves a celebration."

"It sure does," Maya laughed. "But I'm just glad I could do what Arizona asked of me. If she's happy, I'm happy. Beating them is just an advantage."

"I had no doubts."

"I would like to hope not," Maya teased.

"Traffic is fairly clear tonight so I'd say another ten minutes."

"Thank you."

As Jack had promised, ten minutes later, they were outside of the blonde's penthouse apartment - being one of the best lawyers in the country certainly had its perks.

"See you tomorrow Boss."

"See you Jack. I'll get the door, you get yourself home."

"Thank you."

Maya opened up the door and quickly walked into the lobby of her building, the air already getting cold thanks to the nightly New York winds.

"Evening April," Maya smiled at the receptionist, walking towards the elevator and pressing the button

"Evening - good day at work?"

"A tough one but successful."

"Glad to hear that. Goodnight."

"Night," Maya said, walking inside and watching the doors close behind her.

She waited less than thirty seconds before she reached the nineteenth floor, the doors opening out to a corridor although there was only one apartment.

She opened up the door and slid her shoes off, her ankles finally getting some rest.

"Honey, I'm home," Maya called out.

"In here," the reply said.

Maya walked through their entryway, putting her heels to the side and hanging her coat up, before walking through to the kitchen, already smelling the amazing smells filling the air.

She smiled as she saw her wife stirring something in a pan, she walked past the island to wrap her arms around her wife's waist.

"Hm hello - you smell nice," She whispered.

"Oh yeah - I should do, you bought the perfume."

"I did - it was a good choice."

"A very good one."

"You wore that suit today on purpose didn't you? Tried to distract me."

"Maybe I did," Carina smirked, looking back to face the blonde before giving her a passionate yet short kiss.

"Shame it didn't work."

"Ah ah bambina - you know the rule." Carina pointed, slipping from the blonde's arms to quickly get something from the fridge.

"Okay, okay no talking about the cases we worked on together. I know." Maya said, repeating the rule they'd instated as she rested back on the island watching Carina as she worked. "But really - 'are we on a quiz show'?" She asked with a laugh, having found the comment quite amusing.

"What is it you say? All is fair in the courtroom. Here try," Carina said, taking a spoon and spinning around.

Maya opened her mouth and instantly moaned at the amazing sensations hitting her taste buds.

"That is- God that's so good!" She complimented.

"Glad you think so."

"This little bet we have is working out well," Maya smiled, folding her arms.

"Hm the one where you win against me and I cook and the one where I beat you and you take me to whatever restaurant I want? Funnily enough it sounds a lot like how our lives regularly go."

"Yes but there is the sense of victory behind it, which makes this all that much better," Maya grinned, pushing herself off the island to give Carina a kiss.

"Hm if you say so," Carina replied, giving her another one. "Now go and sit - your victory dinner is served."

Maya walked over to their wine fridge and pulled out a bottle, showing it to her wife and getting a nod of approval. She then got two glasses, filled them up and then sat down at the island.

Carina turned off the stovetop and dished out two bowls, placing one in front of each of them.

"Ti amo," Carina said, holding up her glass as she brought her in for a kiss.

"I love you too," Maya smiled.

A/N: Thoughts?? Thank you all so much for reading I hope you enjoyed, especially that twist at the end!! I have opened up prompt submissions again so if you do have them, comment them or you can message me if you prefer!

Full prompt: Maya and Carina high-profile lawyers - rivals - when they go against each other in court, they are put to the test. Little do people know, apart from a few close friends, these two formidable forces are actually married.

See you next time!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.9K 979 39
just one-shots of stefania and danielle/maya and carina
5K 180 19
Marina and stefanielle
28K 726 30
Just a bunch of one-shots about two very amazing characters.
49.3K 966 15
A collection of one shots about Maya and Carina from Station 19. This is my first story ever and English is not my first language, so sorry if there...