the exception

By alyssabedumb

nina salazar roberts. one of the most dedicated, caring, and sweet girls you'll find in salt lake city. she l... More

notes
nina + friends
ricky + friends
nina and ricky intros
1. milk girl
2. partners
3. hatred
4. nothing in common
5. music
6. gone
7. prove it
8. guilt tripping?
9. changes
10. new friends?
***important notes***
11. the devils smile
12. why're u so obsessed with me
13. we're back
14. realization
15. diner
16. replay
17. surprises
18. done
19. smile through tears
20. too good to be true
jolivia one shot boook !!
21. six
22. happiness cant stay forever
23. mission: find nina. complete?
24. oh no...
25. pretending
26. lights
27. sad smiles
28. white coat
29. i love...
30. dinner date
31. ups and downs
32. welcome home
33. messed up
34. mom and dad
christmas story!!
refresher!!
35. visiting
37. unexpected
38. plan it
39. sunkissed
40. overthinking
41: moving forward
42. christmas eve
43. christmas eve gone wrong
44. medication
45. emergency
46. i love you
47. angel in the sky
48. dove
the end :)
update!!
alternate ending :)

36. i hope...

487 15 49
By alyssabedumb

HEYOOO- sorry this chapter is actually extremely boring. im tryna work my way to a big event w/o it seeming rushed- SOOO IM SORRY BUT SOMETHING INTERESTING AND...YEAH INTERESTING IS COMING UR WAY. ENJOYYYYY 

{One month later}

Nina's pov

I'm breathing heavily as I barge through the door and slam it behind me. I rest my head against the door as I try calming my breath.

"Woah woah...are you okay?", I hear him say.

I shake my head, "No! N-no I can't do it anymore-"

I feel his warm hands take mine and I raise my head, looking at him.

"Neens take a breath, okay?", he says.

He guides me up the stairs and into his bedroom. I slouch down onto his bed.

It's been about a month since my mom has passed. And let me say it's been quite the rollercoaster. Some days are good, some days are bad...mostly bad. But, Ricky's kept his word and he's still here with me and so are all my friends. They're all so sweet and loving...but it just doesn't mask the pain. Of course, their friendship love helps me all the time...but I just have no one left to really...love me.

It's safe to say I've been struggling with my mental health the past month too. I think it's pretty clear to my friends as well. I just feel like there isn't a purpose of living anymore without my parents. But...I'm working on it. I go to therapy and stuff...and of course Ricky helps as well.

Ricky's pov

I take a deep breath and look at the brunette-haired girl seated on my bed. The love of my life. My heart breaks for her more and more every day. She's struggling...but won't admit it to any of us. Also, the past month I've contemplated when I should...ask her to be my girlfriend. I want her to be mine in a heartbeat, but I don't want to rush things for her. I especially don't want to ask the question and put her in an awkward place if she's not ready. All I'm worried about is her being okay.

"Okay, Neens...what's wrong?', I quietly ask, sitting next to her.

She blinks and sends tears down her face, 'I-I just can't do it anymore Ricky"

"Do what Neens?"

"Be alive for goodness sakes!", she raises her voice, running her hands through her hair while tears fall down her face.

"Nina what happened at the diner?!", I ask, getting worried, "You were fine before you left I-"

She looks at me with her blood-shot eyes, "It's not just at the diner, Ricky! It's...everywhere. Everything."

I sigh, "Okay...just let it all out Neens. Whatever is going through your head. Just get it out."

She wipes her eyes, "I'm exhausted. I'm drained. Ever since Makenna left for college, the good customers stopped showing up at the diner and now it's these nasty, rude people who have no hearts. The pain for my parent's loss isn't going away, it's only growing stronger. I can't take it anymore. I can't take having to live on this earth knowing they're not here anymore. School starts tomorrow...that just adds a ton of pressure. I mean- it's senior year. I need to graduate so I can have a good, decent job so I can make a future for myself and survive- I just...it's too much Ricky...", she blurts out.

The room goes silent and she's breathing heavy, tears building up. Once again...my heart shatters. Bullets straight through my heart. She hasn't opened up to me like that in a long time. And hearing her saying she just doesn't even want to be alive anymore...makes my heart sink. I can't imagine my world without her in it.

I don't even bother saying anything. I open my arms and wrap them around her, tightly. She collapses and begins to sob and cry into my arms.

"Shh...everything'll be okay. I promise...", I whisper, holding her tighter than ever.

{Later that night}

Nina's pov

"N-no! Please- mom!", I shout, jerking up right, opening my eyes.

I let out a breath, "It's just a dream...a bad dream- but...it's just a dream.", I talk to myself.

I let myself fall back down onto my bed. I stare straight at the ceiling as thoughts begin to circle my mind.

Flashback

"Mommy...wake up", I whisper.

She opens her eyes and looks over at me.

"What's the matter honey? It's late...", she whispers.

I yawn, "I had a nightmare...I'm scared."

"It's okay...come here", she says, picking me up.

She sets me in between her and daddy. I smile and get cozy between them.

"Go to sleep sweetie. Sweet dreams", she smiles, kissing my forehead.

"Goodnight mommy...I love you."

End of flashback

I sniffle and wipe my cheek as a stray tear falls down my face. I let out a breath and turn on my side, cuddling up with the covers. I shut my eyes just when I hear a faint knock on my door.

I sit up, "Come in..."

I watch as the door slowly opens, and Ricky pops his head into the room.

"Hey...", he whispers.

"Hey?", I quietly chuckle.

He walks into the room and shuts the door behind him. He walks up to the side of the bed and looks at me.

"Are you okay? I heard like- shouting and talking...", he asks.

I gulp, nodding my head, "Uh- y-yeah...just a uh a bad dream"

"You wanna talk about it?"

I shrug, "Same old same old. It's about my mom..."

He sadly smiles at me, "I'm sorry..."

The room goes into comfortable silence, and I look down at my lap. I entangle my fingers within my necklace.

I take a deep breath, "Uh- Ricky?"

"Mm?"

"C-can you...stay?", I hesitantly ask.

He nods, "Yeah, of course."

I sweetly smile at him as he makes his way to the other side of the bed. He lies down next to me, and I scoot myself closer to him.

"It's just...you seem to take my mind off of everything.", I sigh.

Butterflies swarm my stomach as I feel his arm wrap around my body. I bite my lip to try and prevent my smile from gushing out. I wrap my arm around his torso as I feel comfortable, calm, and safe.

"You should probably get some sleep. First day of school tomorrow."

I groan, "Don't remind me."

He chuckles, "Sorry...just get some rest. Goodnight ang- Neens"

I happily sigh as I cuddle close to him and take a deep breath before closing my eyes and fading into sleep.

{Next morning}

Nina's pov

I groan, twisting and turning before my eyes shoot open and I sit up.

First day of senior year. I got this...right?

I noticed Ricky was already out of bed, so I assumed he'd already gotten ready and everything. I swing my legs off the bed, my bare feet meeting the cold wood floor. I grab my phone and walk into my bathroom. I play up-beat music as set my phone on the counter while I begin to get ready.

I wash my face, brush my teeth, and do skin care. Next, I apply my normal, natural make-up. I brush the knots out of my hair and slightly curl it just a bit. I exit the bathroom and scan through my closet, searching for something good to wear. I reach my hand out and grab a casual, white sun dress. I nod my head and put that on before grabbing my favorite jean jacket and slipping that on as well. I grab my white Vans and put those on before heading downstairs.

I walk into the kitchen, in quite a rush. I was in such a rush, I didn't notice Ricky and I bumped straight into him.

"Oops, good morning!", I chuckle, "Sorry-"

He laughs, "It's good. And, good morning. How are you?"

I nod, "Feeling great right now! Check back in with me at lunch."

He chuckles, "I'm sure you're going to do just fine today Neens. Don't stress...you hear me? One step at a time."

I playfully roll my eyes as I peel open a banana, "Yeah yeah I hear ya"

Ricky's pov

We pull into the East High parking lot, and I park my car in the usual spot. I look out the window and see crowds of kids walking up to the entrance doors or hanging around. I shut the car off and look at Nina.

"Still feeling okay?", I ask.

She takes a deep breath, "Yes...everything's- great."

"Neens listen...if you need anything just come find me between classes, okay? Or even in class- we have chemistry and math together.", I tell her.

She nods her head, smiling at me, "Thanks...okay we should go-"

We both get out of the car, slinging our bags over our shoulders. We walk through the parking lot and up to the entrance doors. I watch as Nina's hand gets tangled in her necklace. I give her a comforting smile while we walk through the doors. Luckily, our lockers are right next to each other. And all our friends' lockers are pretty much next to ours too.

We make our way through the halls and stop at our new lockers. We enter the code and unlock the lock, setting belongings inside.

"Ninaaa!!! Ricky!!!"

We turn around at the same time to see Kourt, Los, and Seb coming towards us. I watch a bright smile grow on Nina's face as they all give each other hugs. After they hug her, they all come and greet me as well.

"So...how's everything going?", Kourtney asks, literally smirking.

I widen my eyes at them, "Good...you?"

"Pretty good- sad summer is over though..." Carlos complains.

"Hey, I'm gonna run to the bathroom. I'll see you guys in class.", Nina says, walking off.

Once she's gone, they all turn towards me.

"How is she?", Seb asks, frowning.

I shrug, "I mean...she has her really bad days. She's obviously struggling with her mental health."

Kourtney nods, "Yeah...I noticed that. What're you gonna do?"

"Not sure...what do you think I should do?"

"Ask her to be your girlfriend stupid.", Carlos blurts.

"Uh-"

"Ricky, she needs that kind of love. The love only a parent or significant other can give her. We've had this conversation before dude.", Carlos explains.

I nod, "I know, I know. I just don't know when or how to ask her. Also, I don't want to push her into it...or rush her?"

"Trust me hun...you ain't rushing her.", Kourtney says.

Just then the bell rings and everyone walks their separate ways.

First day of senior year...let's go.

{Lunch}

Ricky's pov

I walk into the cafeteria and spot my friends sitting at a table. I walk up to them, setting my bag down and taking a seat.

"Yo- where's Nina?", I ask.

"Nice to see you too", Carlos scoffs.

Kourtney shrugs, "I don't know. Haven't seen her. I've tried calling and texting, but she won't answer."

I sigh, throwing my bag over my shoulder and walking out of the cafeteria. I enter the hallway, looking left and right before deciding to go check by her locker. Just as I thought, I turn the corner and see her slouched down against her locker on the floor. Her legs were pulled to her chest and her head was buried in her arms.

I start walking towards her and her head jerks up. Her eyes were watery, and her lip was quivering. When we meet eyes, she jumps up and runs towards me. She wraps her arms around me, tightly, and I hear her softly cry.

"Hey hey hey it's okay.", I whisper, dropping my backpack onto the floor.

"Ricky I-", she whispers, struggling to form a sentence.

"Neens take a breath. Calm down...it's okay. Everything's okay.", I say.

I pull away and gently move the hair out of her face. I use my thumb and wipe away the remaining tears.

"What's wrong Neens?", I ask.

She clears her throat, "I- I just can't do it, Ricky. I'm only halfway through the day and I already wish I was gone"

"Do you want me to take you home? Because I will- I'll take you back to the house and stay with y-"

"N-no...I need to stay. I just- I need...do you have water?"

I nod my head, "Yeah here"

I grab my water bottle from my backpack and unscrew the cap. I hand her the open bottle and she takes a few sips.

"Do you wanna come to the cafeteria?", I ask, "Our friends are there. They can take your mind off things."

She nods her head and I pick up both our backpacks. She tries taking hers from me, but I insist on carrying it for her. We make our way into the lunchroom and walk over to our friends. We take a seat next to each other and everyone starts asking Nina questions. I give them all a stern look, telling them to stop.

"Hey...I'm gonna go get you something to eat. What do you want?", I ask Nina.

"Ricky- you don't have to buy something for me..."

I shake my head, "I'm buying you something whether you like it or not. What do you want?"

"Just come chips I guess", she chuckles.

I nod my head and get up, heading to the lunch line.

Nina's pov

"Soooo how's it going with him?", Kourtney squeals.

"Kourt we're still just friends!", I argue.

She chuckles, "Not for long"

I furrow my brows, "What?"

"Ya'll are obviously gonna date...right?", Carlos says.

I turn to look at him standing in the lunch line. A small smile grows on my face. I bite my lip and turn back to my friends.

"I hope..." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9K 295 28
Junior Year: What happens when a good girl Nini Salazar-Roberts moves to SLC and goes to the famous EHS? She meets Ricky Bowen, a bad boy, he dates G...
16.2K 602 36
finally. the sun is shining bright and nini roberts, a young women who's mainly turned her focus towards work after a devasting heartbreak, is lettin...
13.8K 382 29
"she's the one..." he whispered. what happens when two opposites, a popular basketball jerk and a smart n sassy new girl, meet for the first time?
30.8K 1K 43
"just tell us your biggest secret!" "I can't!" "why not?!" "because it's about you!" ~the deepest secret~ (hsmtmts fanfiction) I do not own these cha...