Worth The Shot

By SapphireSoup

Camilo Madrigal. His nerve. His self-obsessed smirk. You wanted nothing to do with him after what he did. But... More

A Market Run-in
Gifts
The Hallway
The Shattered Dream
Time For Dinner
Sacrifice Play
Creeping at Midnight
Shards of Prophecy
The Pressure of Earth
Never Have I Ever
He Knows
Meet Me in the Market?
Rain on the Parade
Strings and Stones
Moonlit Caller
Secrets and Sunflowers
Sinking Confession
Vaporized
A Shower of Stars
Unwanted Guests
Flameless Investigation
The Alphabet
Songs in the Leaves
Vipers in the Violets (H)
Whisper Whisper (E)
Slumber Party (i)
Don't Forget Me (S)
Ghost Story (C)
Evicted (O)
Hide and Seek (M)
Felix's Family Tradition (i)
Sunset Celebration (N)
Cobwebbed Tunnel (G)
Visionary
A Lonely Mission
Bitter Bite of the Wind
Cold Candlelight
Dilemma of a Prisoner
The Sin of a Miracle
Heart Bruise
Jury's Out
The Truth
SmokeScreen
Maze of Memories
Rooftop Vigil
Sun of a Dreary Sky
A Quest, With or Without You
Lurking through Dirt
The Yawning Cavern
They are the Hunters, We are the Foxes
Blue Eyes
He Is Here
Snaking Threat
Trust is a Paper
Buried Breakout
Into the Sun
A Ghost Town
The Warm Chamber
Planned Strike
Icy Dread and Fierce Hope
Eerie Darkness
Ruthless
Whispers of Ghouls
Frostbitten Sacrifice
Moon-White Hair
the golden chant (2. 4.)
Dark Secrets, White Lilies
Brother against Brother
Dizzying Gold Bubbles
No cracks, no breaks, no mistakes
The Red-Brick Wall
dream about me
What It's Like to Be Camilo Madrigal
The Diamond Angel
Dream Amnesia
Mystery of a Pendant
-A Surprise-
Ethereal Starlight Ballade
The Collapse of a World
Harsh Spotlight Glare
Ivy on the Wall
To Dust All Return
The Horror That Remains
Sunlit Search Party
Nothing but Grass and Wind
Slipping Back in Time
Infected
Disease and Bad News
The Last Month
Glass Statues
Night Terrors
The Black River
Magical Veins
How to Make a Miracle
Desperate Times, Darker Measures
The Sacrifice
Cold as Corpses
Butterfly Wings in the Sunset
A Love Letter to the Readers
The Eplilogue

Drowning

80.1K 3.6K 8.5K
By SapphireSoup

Camilo rested his crossed arms on the window sill, his expression coldly unreadable. "(Y/n). We need to talk."

He'd leaned a ladder against your house. 

Your fingers halted on the guitar strings and you took a deep breath.  "Okay." I already know he doesn't want to be with me anymore. I won't get emotional.

Camilo swung his legs over the window and said nothing. His back rested against the wall and he ran his tongue over his lips, thinking.

The suspense was torture. You wanted to talk to him, to touch him, to be with him so much it hurt. But not right now. The cold water from your drenched clothes soaked down to your skin, giving you chills. Your abuela was gone. All he had to do was flick you, and you would break down.

Go easy on me, Camilo. You mentally prayed. I can't take much more.

He frowned and ran a slow hand through his hair. Your heartbeat painfully jolted as if its strings were wound around his fingers. You waited for his verdict.

"When were you going to tell me?" He finally challenged, staring you down. You loved his eyes. But at that moment, you wanted their hazel intensity to be focused on anyone else but you.

"What?" You said, confused. You blinked and set your guitar down on your bed. 

"Were you even going to tell me?" Camilo's voice was angry now, barely concealing its undertones of betrayal and hurt.

It felt like a knife in your chest, having him talk to you like that. Your back was against the wall opposite to him now. You pressed your eyes shut as if that could seal any tears from leaking out. "Camilo, I-"

Camilo aggressively took two steps forward and tilted your chin up to look at him. He didn't hurt you, but you couldn't move out of his fingers' rough grasp.

"Don't lie to me." He growled. "Maybe it's your destiny to break casita. To break my family. But you had no excuse to break my heart."  His voice cracked on the last sentence, and he furiously blinked back tears, looking away. "I can't wait until I can hate you."

That was what did it.

The knot in your throat tightened and you shuddered with a sob.

Camilo awkwardly froze. You felt his unsure eyes watch you struggle against the tears that cut your throat and chest like shards of glass.

I can't cry. I'm not going to cry in front of him.

But it was too late. Once your unstably-suspended glass dam had caved in, you couldn't stop the accelerating rush of emotions from pouring out. You were crying, and you couldn't do anything about it. And the last person you wanted to see it was watching.

Camilo's eyes stiffly flickered back and forth between yours. He watched you in a cruel silence.

He finally took a deep breath.

"Hey." Camilo's eyes softened, and he crouched on his knees, looking up at you as if begging you not to cry. He was breathing heavily, trying not to cry himself. "It's okay. It's okay."

"I didn't do anything- Mirabel saw- the prophecy-" your words were jumbled , crammed between desperate inhales and bouts of tears. "I wouldn't-"

"Come here." Camilo whispered, wrapping you in an embrace. "I believe you. If you say it's nothing, it's nothing."

It came out in a flood. "My abuela, she's gone," you choked out. "My father is lying to me. Mirabel hates me."

"Oh. Mariposa." He murmured into your hair.

You stood in silence, pressed against each other's bodies in silent companionship and comfort.

Camilo finally spoke.

"Let's run away."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.8K 1.2K 34
New girl in town? Y/n Perez just moved to Colombia from the Philippines. Lives in a town called 'Encanto', she and her family has heard about the mad...
6.9K 212 37
Ah, yes. Marriage on paper. That's okay, it's normal for someone your family anyway. But why does it have to be him? Camilo, the Madrigals' eldest ma...
612K 15.3K 31
What happens when a child, not born into the Madrigal family, discovers the powers that they hold... a gift, if you will? Keep reading to find out...
20.8K 482 7
Set after the events of Encanto. - Your family has just moved into the village and your first sight is a family with gifts. One of them, a girl named...