The English Rose

Autorstwa taylorleann29

The story of Edward III of England and Philippa of Hainault comes to life in this original screenplay written... Więcej

The English Rose

25 3 1
Autorstwa taylorleann29

"THE ENGLISH ROSE"

Written by Taylor Leann Matthews

First draft: December, 2019

Special thanks to my family & friends, Anneli Ahlmann, Lauren Roberts, Sidharth Paparaju and our world's history for continuing to inspire me.
Some historical events have been changed and/or altered in order to fit the dramatization.

FADE IN: TITLE SEQUENCE

White and red rose petals falling genuinely and softly.

FADE IN:

THE ENGLISH ROSE.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

EXT. COURT OF HAINAULT / FRANCE - SUNNY

The court of Hainault in France, the region in the low countries. There is a big open field of grass, surrounding the castle, a pond towards the start of the tree line of the woods. The capstone of the castle is old, but sturdy. It has vines growing around the walls.

CUT TO:

EXT. OPEN FIELDS / BEHIND THE CASTLE - 1327

A young and beautiful classy woman is running down the fields holding up her lengthy dress, she is PHILIPPA OF HAINAULT.

Philippa turns her head around as her sister, JOANNA OF HAINAULT is running behind her, holding up her equally lengthy dress. Philippa turns her head back around and speeds up, dropping a bit of her dress to the ground.

PHILIPPA
You are not fast enough!

Joanna speeds up her pace.

Philippa turns her head back around to see how far Joanna is away from her. Philippa then trips over a log and falls down a small hill. Joanna stops after seeing Philippa fall, she then runs to the hill and looks over to see Philippa on the ground.

JOANNA
(Chuckles)
I guess you are too fast, sister.

Philippa sits up, brushing the dirt off her shoulders, then her face.

RING! RING! RING! Philippa and Joanna lookup, hearing the sound of the bells, they know that English royalty has arrived at the court of Hainault. Philippa gets nervous.

JOANNA (Cont'd)
I won.

Joanna starts running to the castle.

PHILIPPA
No!

Philippa climbs up the small hill, and then runs back to the castle, following behind Joanna.

CUT TO:

EXT. GATEHOUSE / COURT OF HAINAULT

JEANNE OF VALOIS, COUNTESS OF HAINAULT is standing by the open castle doors, waiting for Philippa and Joanna.

JOANNA
Hello, mother.

Jeanne smiles at Joanna, she then runs through the open door.

Philippa tries to run past Jeanne with hopes of not being stopped, but Jeanne grabs her arm and pulls her back before she can go any further.

JEANNE
(Concerned)
Philippa, your dress.

PHILIPPA
(Out of breath)
I am sorry mother. I fell.

Jeanne sighs, she aggressively rubs the dirt off of Philippa's dress.

JEANNE
I have raised girls Philippa, not boys, you are not a boy, do you understand?

PHILIPPA
Yes, mother, I know.

JEANNE
Then stop acting as if you are one! Get inside!

Philippa goes into the castle.

CUT TO:

INT. COURT OF HAINAULT / HALLWAY

Philippa is walking down the hallway while trying to brush off as much dirt from her dress as possible.

JEANNE
You are to meet the future King of England today, do you even remember me telling you that?

PHILIPPA
Yes, mother, I remember.

JEANNE
(Dictating)
I will not take this kind of child's play, do you understand, Philippa? Edward is going to look at you and think you are some kind of loggerhead.

Philippa pauses and looks down as she continues walking.

JEANNE(Cont'd)
Philippa!

PHILIPPA
Yes, mother, I understand!

JEANNE
Your father and I have been very kind, offering your hand in marriage to the future king. Do not ruin it.

Jeanne grabs Philippa's arm and pushes her forward, making her walk quicker.

CUT TO:

INT. THE GREAT HALL / COURT OF HAINAULT

Philippa and Jeanne walk into the great hall of the court of Hainault.

JEANNE
Your grace.

We see QUEEN ISABELLA OF ENGLAND, ROGER MORTIMER, 1ST EARL OF MARCH, and EDWARD III, DUKE OF AQUITAINE turn toward Jeanne and young Philippa.

ISABELLA
Ah, there you are, Countess. We were starting to worry.

Isabella sees Philippa hiding behind Jeanne.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
And there is the lovely Philippa.

Philippa curtsies to Isabella. Philippa catches Edward's eye immediately. Isabella notices the dirt on the bottom half of Philippa's dress.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
My dear, what happened to your dress?

Philippa notices the disappointed expression on Jeanne's face, she then looks back at Isabella.

PHILIPPA
(Quietly)
I tripped on a log.

Edward smirks. Philippa catches his glimpse of her, they have an intimate moment.

ROGER
Isabella.

Isabella turns to Roger and he nudges toward Edward.

ISABELLA
(Takes Philippa's arm)
Oh yes of course, Philippa, this is my son Edward, Duke of Aquitaine. I am sure you remember him.

Edward bows, Philippa curtsies, she brushes off some more dirt from her dress. Edward smirks again.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
Philippa, you are due to be at the English court very soon. You have a brand new life waiting for you there.

Edward and Philippa are not able to take their eyes off each other.

PHILIPPA
(Still looking at Edward)
Yes, your grace.

ISABELLA
Very well.
(To Jeanne)
Shall we go on?

JEANNE
Of course.
(To Edward + Philippa)
We will let you two get acquainted.

CUT TO:

INT. THE GREAT HALL / PARTY / COURT OF HAINAULT - NIGHT

The people of The Court of Hainault are swaying to the soft music that is being played.

Roger, Isabella and Jeanne are standing near each other in conversation.

Joanna and Philippa (in a new dress) are drinking wine and socializing with other members of Hainault Court. Joanna sees Edward staring at Philippa, she takes Philippa's wrist and moves her off to the side.

JOANNA
The future King seems to fancy you.

PHILIPPA
What?

JOANNA
He is staring at you.

Philippa looks at Edward, and they lock eyes. Philippa turns back to Joanna letting out a breath of air.

PHILIPPA
I do not know how to talk to him. He seems a bit cold.

JOANNA
(Looking at Edward)
Well you should find a way quickly, because he is coming to you.

Philippa turns around and sees Edward coming to her. Joanna walks away.

PHILIPPA
(Curtsies)
Your grace.

EDWARD III
Follow me.

Edward puts his hand on Philippa's back and leads her out of the great hall.

CUT TO:

INT. COURT OF HAINAULT / GRAND HALLWAY

Edward leads Philippa through the grand candle lit hallway. They go and stand next to a tall window. The noise of the party can just barely be heard.

PHILIPPA
I wanted to apologize about my uncleanliness earlier. My sister and I sometimes get into trouble.

EDWARD III
I found it quite amusing, actually.

Philippa smiles a little.

PHILIPPA
I understand if you are not amused by this.

EDWARD III
By what?

PHILIPPA
Our betrothal.

EDWARD III
Should I not be?

PHILIPPA
By the looks of it, you do not seem content.

Edward stares at her intently. Edward then puts his hand on Philippa's stomach and pushes her lightly against the wall. Philippa grows confused.

EDWARD III
Since you are going to be my wife you have to understand something. My country will always come first, therefore you will not expect anything from me in return for marrying you.

Philippa stops.

PHILIPPA
I don't understand.

EDWARD III
I have a duty to my country. First and foremost.

PHILIPPA
So I should not expect love from you? or loyalty, because you have a duty to your country?

EDWARD III
You of all people should know England has no time for such matters.

PHILIPPA
(Scoffs)
I know nothing of the sorts. What I do know is that a husband and wife should be loyal to each other, that is what God wishes.

EDWARD III
So as my wife, you will be loyal to me, and provide me with heirs, is that clear?

Philippa pauses, her interpretation of Edward was completely false.

PHILIPPA
Yes, your grace.

Edward takes his hand off Philippa's stomach.

EDWARD III
I do not mean to frighten you.

PHILIPPA
You seemed so gentle.

Philippa runs away. Edward leans his hands against the wall, he feels bad about their confrontation.

CUT TO:

INT. THE GREAT HALL / COURT OF HAINAULT

Count William, Jeanne of Valois, Queen Isabella, and Roger Mortimer are talking as the celebrations continue behind them.

ROGER
Queen Isabella and I cannot thank you enough for giving your blessing to Edward.

COUNT WILLIAM
Well who could have ever known of our daughter as the Queen of England?

They laugh.

ISABELLA
I do have one more thing to ask of you.

JEANNE
Yes, what is it?

ISABELLA
It regards my husband, and his deposition.

JEANNE
You are deposing the King?

A beat.

ISABELLA
Yes, and we need your help. You both know very well what he has done to our country.

JEANNE
Your grace, I understand everything quite well, but I do not think we should get involved in those affairs.

ROGER
The aid of France can help us get rid of him. It would maintain peace between England and France. Therefore Philippa's marriage to Edward would only keep our countries closer aligned with each other.

COUNT WILLIAM
What do you suggest we do to help?

ROGER
The french army, you have ties to it, yes?

COUNT WILLIAM
Indeed.

ROGER
If you could send some of your men back with us when we leave for England.

William looks at Jeanne, unsure.

ISABELLA
In exchange for offering my son's hand to your daughter.

JEANNE
(Low to William)
William, it is the least we can do.

William turns back to Roger and Isabella.

COUNT WILLIAM
I can send a few of my men, but do not involve Philippa.

ISABELLA
Of course, the thought has not crossed our minds. We would not want her affiliated with anything yet.

ROGER
Thank you.

Roger holds up his glass in solidarity.

ROGER (Cont'd)
Cheers.

Isabella, Joan, and William cheer for his toast. Isabella looks at Philippa as POPE JOHN XXII kisses her hand and she smiles.

CUT TO:

FADE IN:

England.

FADE OUT:

EXT. STREETS OF ENGLAND - MORNING

Edward and Philippa are riding on top of their horses down the streets of England with Pope John, Joanna and the guards following behind them.

The people of England clap and cheer for Edward and Philippa. Edward II's reign has killed England, and the people are glad to finally have their Duke of Aquaitaine Edward III getting married.

Philippa and Edward smile at the citizens cheering for them.

CLOSE ON Philippa waving to some small children as they wave at her. She turns to look at Edward, he's invested in the crowd's praise, then she turns back to the streets ahead of her.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE ENGLISH COURT

The English Court. The outside is guarded by many men of the British army, they are armed with dangerous weapons, as well as the men guarding the inside.

Philippa and Edward lead their horses down the path that leads to the castle. Following behind is Pope John, Joanna, and the rest of the Englishmen that attended France with the royals.

CUT TO:

INT. THE ENGLISH COURT / STAIRCASE

JOHN OF ELTHAM, EARL OF CORNWALL, the brother of Edward III emerges from the hallway at the top of the staircase. He looks out the side window and sees all the people of the English Court gathering around the gatehouse to greet Edward and Philippa.

ELEANOR OF WOODSTOCK (Edward and John's sister) looks up at John as she descends down the staircase. Many English court members surround her as they go down the staircase as well.

ELEANOR
Brother?

John looks down at Eleanor as she descends down the stairs.

ELEANOR (Cont'd)
Are you coming?

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Of course.

John starts down the stairs along with Eleanor and other members of the English court.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE ENGLISH COURT

Edward and Philippa stop their horses along with the guards. The guards begin forming two lines for Edward and Philippa to walk down.

Edward gets off his horse, he goes over to Philippa and grabs her waist, helping her off the horse. Edward and Philippa then start walking down the line that the guards have formed.

The people from the English Court are lined up in two straight lines apart from each other staring face to face.

CUT TO:

JOHN

Coming out of the castle, he stands at the end of the line. Eleanor comes out of the castle after John and stands beside him.

CUT TO:

EDWARD

Offering his hand to Philippa, she takes it. Edward and Philippa start walking down the line of the people from English court. The men and women bow and curtsy to them.

Edward and Philippa approach John and Eleanor at the end of the lines.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Brother.

Edward hugs John. He then places Philippa in front of him.

EDWARD III
Meet Philippa.

John bows to Philippa.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Milady.

Philippa smiles.

ELEANOR
Philippa, how lovely to see you again.

Eleanor curtises to Philippa.

PHILIPPA
And you, Eleanor.

The tension between Edward and Philippa did not go unnoticed. Eleanor sees the nervous look on Philippa's face.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / PHILIPPA'S CHAMBERS

Mary, the servant, opens the door to Philippa's chambers, and she walks in. Philippa walks in after Mary.

Inside the room is a large bed in the center with silk curtains wrapped around it. There is a large window on the left side of the bed, dressers in the middle of the room, against the wall, right in front of the bed, with a desk beside it.

Philippa is mesmerized by the room.

PHILIPPA
My chambers in France were nowhere near this large.

MARY
Her majesty Queen Isabella has sent you a dress to wear tonight.

PHILIPPA
A dress?

MARY
For the celebration.

Philippa looks at Mary still confused.

MARY (Cont'd)
(Smiles)
To celebrate your engagement.

PHILIPPA
(Smiles)
Yes, of course.

MARY
Did no one inform you?

PHILIPPA
I guess not. I was at a celebration in France before I came here. I do not know if I am ready for another one. It is quite overwhelming for me.

MARY
You should get used to it, my dear.

PHILIPPA
(To herself)
Believe me, I am trying to.

MARY
Would you like to see the dress, your grace?

PHILIPPA
Yes, indeed.

Mary goes to the closet and opens the door, she pulls out a long, flowy dress. Philippa walks over to Mary and feels the dress.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
It is beautiful.

Mary sets the dress on the bed.

MARY
I will be back to dress you, your grace.

Mary starts for the door.

PHILIPPA
Wait.

Mary turns around.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
What is your name?

MARY
Mary.

Philippa smiles.

PHILIPPA
I am Philippa.

MARY
(Smiles)
I know.

Mary curtsies and leaves the room.

Philippa looks around her chambers, at the bed, desk, and silk curtains. She then goes to the window and sits on the sill. Philippa finds a book in front of her, she picks it up and opens it, she then begins reading the first page when someone (Eleanor) knocks on her door.

PHILIPPA
Enter!

Eleanor walks in and closes the door behind her. Philippa can't believe her eyes.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
(Smiles)
Eleanor.

Philippa goes to Eleanor and hugs her tightly.

ELEANOR
I am so glad you are finally here.

Philippa pulls away from the hug and smiles brightly. Eleanor looks at the dress on the bed.

ELEANOR (Cont'd)
I see you got my mother's gift.

PHILIPPA
Yes, it is very beautiful. I do not know what I have done to deserve it.
(beat)
Eleanor, Eleanor dear how are you? I was not able to ask you earlier. Edward, you know.

ELEANOR
Yes, unfortunately. I am wonderful, but what about you, you are the Queen?

Philippa chuckles.

PHILIPPA
Nervous, Your brother and I had a serious talk before we left France.

Elenaro squints her eyes.

ELEANOR
What did he say to you?

PHILIPPA
Chatter about how England means more to him than I will. At least at the moment.

ELEANOR
Do not listen to him, he is a stubborn man. He does not quite know how to express his feelings, but with our fathers doing I can see why.

PHILIPPA
It did not seem that way in France.

ELEANOR
Edward is headstrong, that is all. But now that he is betrothed to you my mother seems to be treating you like her own daughter. I guess that makes us sisters.

PHILIPPA
(Smiles)
Since when were we not sisters? Do you remember how we always played in the garden when we were children?

Eleanor smiles.

ELEANOR
Of course, I remember. I could never forget.

PHILIPPA
So what is your other brother like? John, is it?

Eleanor wraps her arm around Philippa's arm and leads her out of the chambers.

ELEANOR
John does not speak much, but he can be a fair man at times.

Philippa nods.

PHILIPPA
At times?

ELEANOR
He can be headstrong. Just like his older brother.

Philippa and Eleanor stop and laugh.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / EDWARD III'S CHAMBERS

John walks into Edward's room as he is putting his cloak around his back.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Going off somewhere?

Edward looks at John.

EDWARD III
To ride my horse before the banquet.

Edwards touches up his cloak.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
So what do you think of her?

Edward doesn't say a word.

JOHN OF ELTHAM (Cont'd)
Takes your breath away, does she not?

EDWARD III
Like you would not believe. She is nothing like what I expected.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Is she better?

EDWARD III
I know not.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
What do you mean you know not? Don't you remember her clearly from when you met when you were younger?

EDWARD III
She is grown now. She is very direct and very... I cannot put it into words.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Is that a bad thing for her to be direct?

EDWARD III
Tis' not a good thing. I told her not to expect anything from me.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
(Surprised)
You told her what?

EDWARD III
She should not expect anything.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
That is a bold thing to say to your future wife.

EDWARD III
Loyalty John, she wants loyalty, when I simply cannot give that to her right now. Not with the situation with our father.

Edward starts for the door.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
I will see you tonight.

Edward leaves his chambers.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY

John is walking down the hallway, he glances to his right, near the library, he then stops abruptly as he sees Philippa taking a book from the shelf inside.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / LIBRARY

John walks into the library. Philippa looks up from the book, noticing him, she closes the book quickly, and sets it on the table.

PHILIPPA
I am sorry.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
What are you doing here?

PHILIPPA
I was just looking. I'm going to be living here, I thought I would familiarize myself.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
These books are fragile. How dare you mess with them?

PHILIPPA
I was told it was okay.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
From who?

PHILIPPA
Her Majesty the Queen.

John walks closer to Philippa, he picks up the book from the table, and skims through it.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Republic?

PHILIPPA
I have been meaning to read that.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
It is no good.

John throws the book on the table.

PHILIPPA
I disagree.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Why is that, milady?

Philippa looks at him feeling uneasy.

PHILIPPA
Plato is one of the best philosophers this world has ever seen. To say his work is no good is ignorant on your part.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
You really believe that?

PHILIPPA
I know that.

John walks closer to Philippa, he is inches away from her face, she begins shaking a little. John then walks around Philippa slowly, he faces her again.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
My brother is infatuated with you.

Philippa walks past John and picks up the book.

PHILIPPA
Excuse me.

Philippa gives a sigh of relief as she leaves the library.

CUT TO:

EXT. BEACH - DUSK

Edward is riding his horse down the beach, fast, letting out his frustrations. He slows his horse down along the way.

Edward gazes out onto the night sky.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL / NEAR BEACH

Philippa is walking along the top of the hill, watching Edward closely, she kneels down. Philippa watches Edward get off his horse and take off his shirt, he then throws it onto the ground.

Philippa watches Edward run to the water, and dive right in.

Philippa gets up and runs down the edge of the hill toward the beach to get a closer look at Edward.

CUT TO:

EXT. BEACH

Philippa hides behind a giant rock in the middle of the beach. It is close to the water. As Philippa watches Edward swim in the ocean under the moonlight, she bites her lip, feeling a sexual attraction in her heart toward him that she has never felt before.

CUT TO:

EDWARD

Running his hands through his hair with the ocean water.

CUT TO:

PHILIPPA

Moving her hand to a different place on the rock, it slips causing a few rocks to cling against each other making a loud noise. They fall to the ground.

CUT TO:

EDWARD

Turning around as he hears the noise on the beach.

CUT TO:

PHILIPPA

Hiding behind the rock, hoping Edward did not see her. She tries to map out a solution in her head that will get her away without Edward seeing her.

Philippa runs away from the rock, Edward sees Philippa running back to the hill.

CUT TO:
INT. ENGLISH COURT / ENTRANCE HALL

Philippa opens the castle doors, she rushes inside and BAM, she runs right into Isabella and Isabella almost falls over.

PHILIPPA
I am so sorry.

Isabella stands up straight, annoyed.

ISABELLA
What are you doing? Why are you out of breath?

PHILIPPA
I went for a walk.

ISABELLA
You dare leave the castle grounds without the protection of your guards?

PHILIPPA
I'm sorry, I did not... know.

Isabella sighs.

ISABELLA
As long as you were not hurt. You must tend to your servants straight away, it is almost time for the banquet.

PHILIPPA
Yes, lady mother.

Isabella walks away, Philippa sighs knowing she is making a terrible impression of herself.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THE GREAT HALL

The party to celebrate the engagement of Edward III and Philippa of Hainault has begun. Music is playing lightly. There are people dancing in the center of the great hall. Surrounding a few of the walls is a buffet table filled with the finest foods in England.

CLOSE UP on Edward drinking his wine.

ELEANOR (O.S.)
How's about a dance, brother?

Edward looks at Eleanor, he sets down his glass of wine and then leads Eleanor onto the dance floor. The two begin dancing. As Edward turns around he sees Philippa walking into the great hall. He stops and stares. Eleanor looks at Edward, wondering why he stopped the dance, she then sees Philippa, she smiles to herself.

ELEANOR (Cont'd)
Go on.

Edward walks over to Philippa.

As Philippa emerges into the great hall the guests bow and curtsy saying "Your Grace" out of duty and respect. Philippa smiles lightly, she has a hard time taking everything in at once.

Philippa smiles at the people as they tell her how beautiful she looks, then curtsy to her. Philippa looks up at Edward as he approaches her. Edward bows to her, Philippa curtsies to him. Edward pauses out of nervousness. Philippa waits eagerly for Edward to spit out words, but he says nothing.

Edward takes Philippa's hand and leads her through the great hall. The men bow and women curtsy as they pass them.

Edward and Philippa sit down on their thrones in the center of the great hall.

CUT TO:

JOHN & ELEANOR

Watching Edward and Philippa's interactions very closely as they sit on their thrones.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
It is all arranged, then?

ELEANOR
Indeed. They sure do not look happy with each other.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
She is just nervous. I can tell by the look on her face. I am sure she will come to him soon.

CUT TO:

ROGER & ISABELLA

standing side by side watching the guests dance to the soft music playing in the center of the great hall.

ROGER
I shall hope nothing interferes with Edward's coronation.

ISABELLA
With his new distraction, nothing will.

ROGER
He is just a boy, Isabella, he is not fit to rule. Something tells me he never will be.

ISABELLA
Which is exactly why Philippa is here, to distract him from his duties for a while. He already fancies her. He will put his feelings toward her above all else.

ROGER
And what about your husband, King Edward?

ISABELLA
He will be dealt with. You know that.

Isabella drinks her wine.

CUT TO:

PHILIPPA

Being led onto the dance floor by an English court member.

John passes Philippa and goes to Edward drinking his wine. Edward and John watch Philippa dancing gracefully with the english court member. She sways in her long beautiful dress and long beautiful hair that flows just the right way.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Are you even going to speak to her?

Edward looks at John confused.

JOHN OF ELTHAM (Cont'd)
You have ignored her all night. Apart from leading her to the throne.

EDWARD III
Do you know how to stay out of matters that do not concern you?

JOHN OF ELTHAM
I am trying to help you, brother.

EDWARD III
I do not need your help with Philippa, nor do I wish it. Problems between her and I will never concern you, she is to be my Queen, not yours.

John scoffs and then drinks his wine.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
I understand. You are a coward.

EDWARD III
I am in no place to marry for love. Father never loved our mother.

JOHN OF ELTHEM
But you feel affection for her. Your Queen. Why won't you allow yourself to love her?

EDWARD III
Because I have learned my personal feelings do not matter.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
You have not said one word to her all night. You leave her in the arms of other suitors.

Edward notices the advances Philippa is getting from other men in the great hall.

JOHN OF ELTHAM (Cont'd)
She is no doubt the most beautiful woman in the room.

EDWARD III
This does not make me a coward.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Then show you are not one, your Grace.

Edward hesitates for a second.

EDWARD III
Alright.

Edward shoves his wine glass on John's chest and starts to Philippa.

CUT TO:

PHILIPPA

Walking up to Joanna from the dance floor.

JOANNA
How might you be, sister?

Joanna hands Philippa a glass of wine.

PHILIPPA
Truly, I know not. I am not used to all the attention being on me.

JOANNA
You better start getting used to it, dear sister. Queens get all the attention as far as I am concerned.

Philippa chuckles. Edward III comes up behind Philippa.

EDWARD III
(To Joanna)
Would you excuse us, Joanna?

Philippa turns around and sees Edward standing right in front of her.

JOANNA
Of course, your grace.

Joanna curtsies and leaves Edward and Philippa by themselves.

EDWARD III
Were you following me?

PHILIPPA
I beg your pardon?

EDWARD III
Earlier at sunset by the water, were you there?

Philippa pauses, knowing she is about to be caught.

PHILIPPA
No, your grace.

EDWARD III
Are you lying to me?

Philippa stops as Edward moves closer to her. She starts breathing heavily, her heart skipping a few beats. She tries to hide it.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Do you see everyone?

Philippa looks at the people in the great hall and notices most of them gazing crucially at her and Edward.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
All their eyes on us.

Philippa looks back at Edward.

PHILIPPA
You make it sound so terrible.

Edward looks up at John across the room as he's looking right at him. John drinks the wine with a big egotistical look on his face.

EDWARD III
Come here.

Edward grabs Philippa's wrist and pulls her deeper into the crowd of people. Edward then kisses Philippa for everyone to see. John's mouth widens, more people turn to witness the revelation. Everyone in the room is shocked beyond belief.

Philippa pulls away from Edward's kiss. She is utterly astounded.

PHILIPPA
(Low)
Edward, are you mad?

Pope John XXII, seeing the erroneous kiss, approaches Edward and Philippa.

POPE JOHN
Your Majesties!

Philippa looks at the Pope, very nervous. Edward puts his hands behind his back out of respect.

POPE JOHN (Cont'd)
Need I remind you public displays of affection will not be permitted here, especially when there is yet to be a wedding ceremony.

PHILIPPA
Yes, your holiness.

Pope John walks away. The people continue their chatter, dancing, and drinking.

Philippa turns to Edward wanting to say something horrid, she is humiliated. Edward stares at Philippa, she tries to let words come out, but instead she walks away.

Philippa walks through the crowd of people to get out of the great hall.

The beat of the music picks up, the people speed up their dancing to match the music. Eleanor comes up to Philippa, very hyper.

ELEANOR
Philippa, come on!

Eleanor pulls Philippa by the wrist to the center of the great hall.

PHILIPPA
No, Eleanor!

Philippa takes Eleanor's right hand and another woman's left hand; she follows their steps. Philippa stumbles over her feet a few times, she then gets the hang of it and starts enjoying herself. She switches directions and takes the hands of two different people, repeating those same steps.

Philippa takes the hand of a man. He bows and Philippa curtsies, the two then place their hands on each other's and begin dancing together.

Edward watches Philippa from afar, he follows her every move. Philippa's dress lightens up the floor as she spins. She hops into the next line of people, another man takes Philippa's hand and spins her. Philippa's smile is as bright as the sunshine, she's having much fun.

CUT TO:

EDWARD

Moving into a line of people dancing, he starts to make his way to Philippa.

Isabella and Roger watch Edward moving in the line of people.

ISABELLA
See, it is already working quite well.

ROGER
I never doubted you.

Isabella looks at Roger and smiles a little.

CUT TO:

PHILIPPA

Following the line of people as they dance, she copies all of their movements.

Edward comes behind Philippa, he grabs her wrist, spins her around, then pulls her close to him.

CLOSE ON Philippa and Edward staring into each other's eyes as the people dance around them.

Edward wants more than anything just to kiss Philippa again, he carefully caresses her chin.

Philippa, feeling overwhelmed, releases herself from Edward's grip, she runs through the crowd of people, right out of the great hall. Edward stays still watching Philippa run away from him. The people continue dancing around him.

CUT TO:

EXT. WOODS - NIGHT

Isabella and Roger's army of English and French soldiers are riding through the thin woods on top of their horses. The intensity of each soldier guiding his horse is affecting.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY

Philippa is standing alone in the hallway, she is leaning her hands against the wall with her eyes closed. Edward grabs Philippa's arms and turns her around to face him. She gasps.

PHILIPPA
Do not do this to me.

EDWARD III
Do what?

PHILIPPA
Humiliate me. Your actions are causing everyone to turn their heads to us.

EDWARD III
That was not my intention.

PHILIPPA
Is that quite so?

EDWARD III
That is so.

PHILIPPA
You showed affection for me in the form of a kiss. For everyone at court to see. What do you call that, Edward?

There is a long pause between Edward and Philippa.

Edward leans in to kiss Philippa, she closes her eyes slightly. Edward places his nose on Philippa's just centimeters away from her lips. He feels her lips, but pulls back before actually kissing her.

CUT TO:

EXT. PATHWAY TO CASTLE

The English and French soldiers are riding up the path of the castle. A few of the Frenchmen are leading the soldiers (wearing different colored armor) on their horses.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY

Edward is almost locking lips with Philippa, she pulls away at the last second.

PHILIPPA
Not here. Tis' not appropriate.

Philippa walks back to the great hall, leaving Edward wanting more from her. Edward's hormones are raging, he doesn't know if he can hold in his feelings toward Philippa any longer.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THE GREAT HALL

Philippa walks into the great hall. Joanna approaches her.

JOANNA
I saw you go away with Edward. What happened?

LORD HUGH (O.S.)
Your grace!

Philippa turns toward LORD HUGH.

JOANNA
(To Philippa)
That is Lord Hugh.

PHILIPPA
Yes, a chamberlain to the King. I hear he is not well liked among the people.

JOANNA
Very much so. He knows the King and he has power.

Philippa and Joanna walk over to Lord Hugh.

LORD HUGH
I have yet to give you my congratulations.

PHILIPPA
There is no need for that, my lord.

LORD HUGH
I insist. I wish you all the happiness the world can give you and may you produce wonderful heirs for this great country.

Philippa smiles.

PHILIPPA
Well I am happy to be at English court.

LORD HUGH
I see you still have your childish ways of life, your grace.

PHILIPPA
I'm sorry?

LORD HUGH
Your dancing reminds me of a child. A child's first time at such an event.

Philippa's smile begins glooming.

PHILIPPA
Well I would like to think I have not lost my innocence yet, my lord.

Lord Hugh raises his glass.

LORD HUGH
Then here's to you.

Philippa smiles annoyed as Lord Hugh drinks his wine.

PHILIPPA
Excuse me while I go get some air.

Philippa starts away.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY

Philippa steps out of the great hall and starts walking down the hallway, she then turns the corner of a wall, and sees Edward arguing with his father, EDWARD II, KING OF ENGLAND. Philippa quickly hides behind the wall, she then starts listening into the conversation.

CUT TO:
EDWARD II, KING OF ENGLAND

Scolding his son, Edward III.

EDWARD II
Have you disregarded everything I have taught you?

EDWARD III
How could I? She is here now, she is not returning to France.

EDWARD II
Isabella does not want her for you! She wants Philippa for her own benefit! You just happen to be a part of that! You should be marrying a woman that is best for this country! Philippa is not that, she is best for Isabella's sake!

EDWARD III
How do you know that, father? You have never even spoken to Philippa, never even looked her in the eye!

EDWARD II
My speaking to Philippa is of no importance. This betrothal gives Isabella access to all our fighting men, and the ships required to transport them everywhere.

EDWARD III
It is already done father, and there is nothing you can do about it. You gave up any right to choose the woman that I should marry when you threw this country to the wolves long ago.

Little beat.

EDWARD II
Then I hope one day you are able to understand the catastrophe your mother has now put you in.

Edward II marches away from his son, Edward.

Edward II turns the corner, he stops in his tracks as he sees Philippa, he glares at her. Philippa looks back at him, frightened, Edward II scoffs and walks away.

Philippa then goes around the corner of the wall. Edward III Looks at Philippa as she comes to him.

EDWARD III
You heard everything?

PHILIPPA
Yes. He does not want me here.

EDWARD III
I want you here.

PHILIPPA
I do not think your judgements matter to that of a King.

Edward moves Philippa against the wall.

PHILIPPA
Edward. Someone will see us.

EDWARD
I do not care anymore. Let them see.

Edward leans in slowly to kiss Philippa.

PHILIPPA
(Moving back)
I thought you did not want this.

Edward stops, just barely touching her lips. Philippa doesn't push Edward back, but he doesn't actually kiss her.

EDWARD III
(Whispers)
Yes, how could I have been so stupid?

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / ENTRANCE HALL

The English and French soldiers storm through the castle doors. The guests at the entrance scream, and run away, fearing for their lives. The soldiers make their way into the great hall.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THE GREAT HALL

The English and French soldiers rush into the great hall, they start shoving through the people celebrating, causing havoc. They are on the search for Edward II.

Edward II turns around from a conversation with Lord Hugh, wondering what is happening.

EDWARD II
What is going on?

Two soldiers approach Edward II, they forcefully grab him and arrest him.

EDWARD II (Cont'd)
Hey, unhand me!

The soldiers bring Edward II down to the ground. One of the soldiers punches him in the face to stop him from squirming. The two soldiers start dragging Edward II out of the great hall to be imprisoned.

EDWARD II (Cont'd)
UNHAND ME! ISABELLA!

Isabella stares blankly at Edward II as he screams for her. The soldiers continue dragging him out of the great hall. Edward II tries to fight his way out of the soldiers' grip on him.

EDWARD II (Cont'd)
ISABELLA!

Other soldiers start to arrest Edward II's closest friends and aquantinces, causing more and more commotion and destruction in the great hall.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY

Philippa looks up as she hears faint screaming.

PHILIPPA
What is that?

Edward hears the faint screaming. Philippa and Edward start back to the great hall.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THE GREAT HALL

Edward and Philippa come back into the great hall. Guests run into Philippa and Edward as they try to get themselves out of the great hall and out of the way of the soldiers.

The soldiers arrest Lord Hugh, and start to drag him out of the great hall. Lord Hugh elbows a guard in the stomach, he retaliates by punching him in the face. Blood comes spilling out of Lord Hugh's mouth.

Philippa, seeing the punch, gasps.

PHILIPPA
(To Edward)
What is going on?

EDWARD III
Mother!

Isabella goes to Edward III.

ISABELLA
Do not question anything, Edward. I promise it is all under control.

Isabella moves away. Edward then pushes Philippa away.

EDWARD III
(To Philippa)
Go, get out of here.

Edward sees Isabella and Roger leave the great hall, following the soldiers, he starts to follow them.

Eleanor and Joanna come to Philippa.

PHILIPPA
Where are they going?

ELEANOR
Come with us.

PHILIPPA
What? Eleanor, people have just been arrested, your father among them.

ELEANOR
You have to come with us. We cannot stay here.

PHILIPPA
Eleanor...

ELEANOR
Philippa, you do not want to know what is going to happen. I promise you, you do not.

Philippa pauses. She looks back at the commotion.

ELEANOR (Cont'd)
(Takes Philippa's hand)
Come on.

Eleanor leads Philippa and Joanna out of the Great Hall.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / EDWARD III'S CHAMBERS

Eleanor leads Joanna and Philippa into Edward's chambers.

JOANNA
This is the future King's chambers.

ELEANOR
I know.

JOANNA
We are not supposed to be up here. We will get into trouble.

ELEANOR
I have been a thousand times.

JOANNA
You are his sister, that is very much different than if his future wife and sister in law are coming in here.

Philippa looks around at Edward's chambers and everything that is placed inside of it.

ELEANOR (Cont'd)
Philippa!

Philippa sees Eleanor and Joanna already on the balcony, she starts onto the balcony herself.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH COURT / EDWARD III'S CHAMBERS / BALCONY - NIGHT

Philippa and Joanna look at Eleanor.

ELEANOR
Look up.

Philippa, Joanna and Elenaor look up and see the radiant stars in the sky.

JOANNA
Is that a shooting star?

PHILIPPA
Where?

JOANNA
(Points up)
Over there.

Philippa, Joanna and Eleanor look at the shooting star across the sky.

PHILIPPA
I have never seen one before.

Little beat.

ELEANOR
Would you ever go to the ends of the earth?

PHILIPPA
Where?

ELEANOR
Anywhere. Just for the chance of seeing anything and everything that there is in the world.

JOANNA
How much is there to see?

ELEANOR
Plenty. I would go to the ends of the earth. Perhaps by sea.

Philippa, Joanna, and Eleanor take a few minutes of silence to gaze at the beautiful stars above them. To take in the stunning night sky.

CLOSE ON Philippa moving closer to the edge of the balcony to get a closer look.

Philippa, Joanna and Eleanor start to hear talking from outside the chambers.

ELEANOR
Hide.

Philippa, Joanna and Eleanor run inside the chambers.

INT. ENGLISH COURT - EDWARD III'S CHAMBERS - CONTINUOUS

Philippa hides in the wardrobe, Joanna hides under the bed, and Eleanor hides under a wooden desk.

A servant enters the room with sheets and clothing, she sets them down beside her.

Philippa opens the door of the wardrobe, she steps out quietly. Philippa looks at Eleanor and signals her to come out, Joanna pokes her head out from under the bed, Philippa signals for her to come out.

Joanna and Eleanor come out of their hiding places and start to tiptoe toward the open door. Philippa runs into the table by the door and almost knocks down the vase.

The servant looks to see Philippa, Joanna and Eleanor by the door.

PHILIPPA
Go!

Philippa, Joanna and Eleanor rush out of the bedroom. The servant goes to the door, opens it, looks out, and sees them running down the hallway laughing with each other.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY

Philippa, Joanna and Eleanor are running down the hallway. Philippa quickly grabs Joanna and Eleanor's arms.

PHILIPPA
I will go this way.

Eleanor and Joanna nod. Philippa runs to her left while Eleanor and Joanna run to their right.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / STAIRCASE

Philippa starts down the stairs, holding her dress up above her feet. As Philippa reaches the midpoint of the staircase she runs into Edward III.

EDWARD III
Philippa.

PHILIPPA
Edward.

Philippa curtsies, catching her breath. Edward bows.

EDWARD III
What are you doing?

PHILIPPA
Uhh, umm...

Philippa doesn't know how to answer the question, she can't think of a good lie in time. She has to go with the first thing on her mind.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
I was looking for you.

EDWARD III
Yes?

there is a slight pause between the two. Philippa again can't think of anything to say.

PHILIPPA
I cannot remember anymore.

EDWARD III
You cannot ever get a word out can you?

Philippa blankly stares at Edward, she doesn't know what to do.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Are you nervous around me?

There is another slight pause.

PHILIPPA
(Low)
Yes, your grace.

EDWARD III
Do not be.

PHILIPPA
(Low)
You overwhelm me.

Edward takes Philippa's hands, he kisses her, but she pulls away quickly.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
You should be concerned about your father.

EDWARD III
It is all I have been thinking about. He has been arrested, Philippa. That is why I need you tonight.

Edward gives Philippa a look of desperation.

PHILIPPA
I am afraid I'm not available, your grace.

Philippa runs past Edward down the rest of the stairs. Edward breathes, a bit heavy, as he watches Philippa descend down the stairs.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / GRAND HALLWAY - MORNING

Philippa is walking through the hallway gazing at all the art on the castle walls, she studies it deeply, taking in every ounce of everything she can see.

Philippa turns down another hallway which is much darker, because there is only one place for the sun to shine. She sees a door cracked open, she looks inside it and sees a pile of dirty books on a dusty table.

Philippa looks, making sure no one is around her, she then opens the door quietly and walks in.

INT. ENGLISH COURT / SMALL LIBRARY - CONTINUOUS

Philippa goes to the books, picks one up, and brushes the dust off the cover. She skims through the book, then starts reading the first page. Philippa sets the book down, then starts brushing off the dust of all the other books on the table.

Edward III walks into the room with another book in his hand.

EDWARD III
What are you doing?

Philippa jumps.

PHILIPPA
I'm sorry, I was just curious.

EDWARD III
(Walking to the table)
There is no need to be curious about these.

Edward sets the book down on the table.

PHILIPPA
How so?

EDWARD III
We do not use them here anymore.

PHILIPPA
They are just as worthy of being read as any other book. No matter how old they are.

Edward smiles.

EDWARD III
Would you like them?

PHILIPPA
You are offering all these to me?

EDWARD III
It seems your curiosity gets the best of you. I admire that.

Philippa smiles.

PHILIPPA
Have you spoken to your father?

Edward pauses.

EDWARD III
No.

Edward leans in to kiss Philippa, but John walks into the room, interrupting it. Edward pulls away, Philippa licks her lips annoyed.

JOHN
Have I interrupted something?

EDWARD III
No, brother.
(To Philippa)
You will take the books?

Philippa smiles lightly and nods.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Help yourself.

Edward leaves the room, John looks at Philippa, then follows Edward out of the room.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY

John catches up with Edward down the hallway.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Any word from father yet?

EDWARD III
No, what about you?

JOHN OF ELTHAM
I briefly heard what mother was saying.

Edward stops in his tracks.

EDWARD III
What did she say?

John pauses nervously.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
John. What did mother say?

JOHN OF ELTHAM
They want to put you on the throne straight away.

EDWARD III
What?

JOHN OF ELTHAM
They arrested him so they could depose him in favor of you.

EDWARD III
What are they going to do with him?

JOHN OF ELTHAM
I did not hear anything else.

Edward pauses for a moment.

EDWARD III
Who else was mother with? Who was she speaking to?

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Sir Roger.

EDWARD III
Damn it. Where is father now?

JOHN OF ELTHAM
They have taken him away from court.

Edward starts away.

CUT TO:

EXT. HEREFORD, UNITED KINGDOM

Two soldiers bring out Lord Hugh Despenser down the path to execution.

Queen Isabella and Defacto leader Roger Mortimer are sitting side by side on the thrones.

Hugh Despenser tries to break free from the soldiers grip on him, but he's not strong enough.

The snake eyes of the citizens of England follow him down the path. People throw trash at him as if he was a worthless rat.

LORD HUGH
This is wrong! I have not done anything!

The soldiers bring Lord Hugh up on the wooden basket. One soldier places the rope around his neck.

LORD HUGH (Cont'd)
(pleading)
Please, your grace, please!

The executioner looks at Isabella, she nods.

LORD HUGH (Cont'd)
Please, your grace, have mercy!

The executioner kicks the basket out from underneath Lord Hugh. Everybody goes silent as he suffocates. Lord Hugh slowly passes away in front of Isabella, Roger and the English citizens in attendance.

CUT TO:

INT. DUNGEON / BERKELEY CASTLE

Two guards walk into the dungeon with a plate of food, they place it in front of Edward II.

GUARD #1
Eat.

The guards wait for Edward II to pick up the food. Instead, Edward II gives the soldiers a blank expression.

GUARD #1 (Cont'd)
EAT!

Edward II picks up the plate slowly, he then launches it against the wall. Edward II sits back down while staring at the guards.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THRONE ROOM

Roger is sitting on the throne of Edward II soon to be Edward III of England. The two guards come into the throne room, they approach Roger and bow.

GUARD #1
My Lord.

ROGER
What are the details?

GUARD #2
He refuses to eat.

ROGER
Force feed him.

GUARD #1
We have tried.

GUARD #2
It has been quite long. What do you want us to do with him?

A long pause as Roger thinks to himself.

ROGER
Kill him.

GUARD #1
My Lord?

ROGER
Kill him. I want nothing left. There is no need for him anymore.

Both the guards exchange nervous glances.

GUARD #1
Yes, my Lord.

The guards start out of the throne room.

CUT TO:

INT. DUNGEON / BERKELEY CASTLE - NIGHT

King Edward II is sitting in the dungeon with his head in his hands. Isabella walks into the dungeon along with the two guards.

ISABELLA
Stand up.

Edward looks up at Isabella.

EDWARD II
I do not answer you.

Isabella nods to the guards. Guard #1 hits Edward in the head, then forces him up.

ISABELLA
Lord Hugh is dead.

Edward II says nothing.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
And as for you, husband. You are no longer King of England.

Edward II laughs.

EDWARD II
And what mastermind is supposed to take my place in this short time?

ISABELLA
Your son.

Edward II's smile fades.

EDWARD II
You are going to crown Edward as a part of your puppet show with Mortimer?

Isabella stares condescendingly at Edward II, he then scoffs at her silence.

EDWARD II (Cont'd)
I tried to warn him of you. But he is too naive to see the devil inside of you.

ISABELLA
Then I guess we are both guilty of having a devil inside of us. Mine might just save the country from your doings.

Isabella nods to the guard. Guard #1 punches Edward II across the face. He coughs out blood.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
Edward's coronation will follow very soon after.

Isabella nods to the guards again. Guard #1 shoves Edward II to the ground, Isabella then starts out of the dungeon.

Soldiers come into the dungeon to kill Edward II as Isabella exits.

We can hear the soldiers beating Edward to a pulp, his screams can be heard all the way outside the dungeon. He slowly begins to die.

CUT TO:

EXT. FIELDS / IN FRONT OF CASTLE

Edward III is practicing his swordsman skills on a dummy placed in front of him. He whips his sharp sword, cutting off the head of the dummy. The anger inside him continues to build up.

Isabella approaches Edward from behind.

ISABELLA
I think you have the strength of a true warrior.

Edward looks at Isabella.

EDWARD III
I am a warrior.

ISABELLA
A very fine one, indeed.

Edward doesn't respond.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
Edward, I see you have taken quite a liking to Philippa. She is very fond of you, as well.

EDWARD III
As I am her.

ISABELLA
I know she will make you tremendously happy.

EDWARD III
Why don't you just tell me your plan, mother?

ISABELLA
What do you speak of?

EDWARD III
I know what you are doing, making me King.

A beat.

ISABELLA
Who spoke of this to you?

EDWARD III
John.

Isabella takes Edward's hands.

ISABELLA
You were not supposed to know at this moment, but...
(Beat)
Edward, you are to be the next King of England. Your time has come.

EDWARD III
What about father? What have you done with him?

ISABELLA
We forced him to step down. He has destroyed England long enough and it was time for him to go. For all the people of this country's sake.

EDWARD III
We?

ISABELLA
Roger and I.

Edward takes his hands away.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
Of course you must start producing heirs right away.

EDWARD III
I will have everything under control, mother. That is how father taught me.

ISABELLA
You like to think you will, but you really have no idea.

EDWARD III
Are you finished?

ISABELLA
No, I am not finished! I arranged this for a reason, Edward.

EDWARD III
For your benefit, not for mine.

ISABELLA
If you are to ever be a great King, you must learn that some things need to be done whether you agree with it or not.

EDWARD III
Is that how you saw Philippa, as just an alliance for this country? Did you even think about my needs when choosing her?

ISABELLA
I saw her as your wife, and the future mother of your children and heirs to the English throne. How dare you doubt my intentions?

Edward pauses.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
Roger and I decided on her because she was the best for you and the country. Everything has been done for England.

EDWARD III
I have never cared what Roger thinks.

ISABELLA
Watch your words!

Edward scoffs.

EDWARD III
Did you know I argued with father about this?
or did you simply not care about my point of view?

ISABELLA
You know what your father has done to me.

EDWARD III
He is still my father, he taught me everything he knows!

Isabella pauses, seeing the resentment Edward is feeling for her in his eyes.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
You cannot leave him imprisoned forever. Wherever he might be.

Edward leaves Isabella in the fields as he walks back to the castle.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / BOUDOIR

A dressing room filled with all fancy dresses and headpieces. It is large with a medium sized table in the center of the room, and silk covering parts of the walls.

Two servants are dressing Isabella, tidying up her dress in the back. One of the servants places a crown on top of her head.

Roger comes into the boudoir.

ROGER
(To Servants)
Leave us, please.

Isabella turns around, noticing Roger walking closer to her. The servants curtsy and leave the boudoir.

Isabella's dress is left undone, Roger runs his hand up her back, and starts fixing her dress.

ISABELLA
Roger, what are you doing here?

ROGER
I could not help but notice you coming in.

Roger finishes her dress, and moves his hands to her waist. Roger then kisses Isabella's neck.

ISABELLA
My son does not know when the time is right.

ROGER
What do you mean?

ISABELLA
We had a disagreement.

Roger stops.

ROGER
What did you do?

ISABELLA
He found out about his coronation from John. He was supposed to hear it from me, now he feels as if I do not care for his needs.

Roger rolls his eyes and continues kissing her neck.

ROGER
He will get over the situation in mere hours.

ISABELLA
And so he will be crowned King. He should have no worries about his father, my husband.

Isabella closes her eyes.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
You cannot be here now.

ROGER
Do you want me to leave?

Roger kisses Isabella's cheek, she steps forward away from Roger's grip.

ISABELLA
Yes, I want you to leave.

Roger looks at Isabella flirtatiously.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
I said leave, Sir Roger.

ROGER
Yes, your grace.

Roger takes Isabella's hand and kisses it, he stares her in the eyes. Isabella then kisses Roger passionately.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THRONE ROOM

Edward III walks into the throne room, he finds Roger stepping down from the throne that he is supposed to sit on. Edward goes to Roger as he starts a conversation with a few other men.

EDWARD III
Roger.

Roger looks at Edward.

ROGER
Your grace...

EDWARD III
Where is my father?

Roger gazes out of the corner of his eye, the group of men are listening in on him and Edward.

ROGER
He is safe.

EDWARD III
I am asking you where he is, not if he is safe.

ROGER
He is at Berkeley castle, where he will not interfere.

Edward starts away.

ROGER (Cont'd)
But it is best you stay away from there!

Edward stops and turns around.

EDWARD III
Why is that?

ROGER
Your father does not want to speak to you. You are taking his place as King. It is for your own safety, your grace. We would not want you harmed.

Edward considers Roger's reasoning. He leaves the throne room.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY

Philippa is walking down the hallway, holding a white rose. She fiddles with its petals.

Edward appears from the Throne room, starting down the hallway. He marches with his head half down about to cross paths with Philippa.

Philippa looks up and sees Edward marching toward her, Edward then looks up seeing Philippa. He slows his walk, gazing at her.

Philippa looks at Edward confused as he passes her without saying a word, she stops in her tracks, watching him go away. Philippa then starts into the throne room.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THRONE ROOM

Philippa walks into the throne room.

BACKGROUND Roger sees Philippa walk in.

ROGER
Your grace!

Philippa turns toward Roger.

ROGER (Cont'd)
Come!

Philippa goes to Roger and the group of men he is speaking to.

ROGER (Cont'd)
Gentlemen, Philippa of Hainault.

The men bow to Philippa.

GENTLEMAN #1
It is an honor to meet you, milady.

PHILIPPA
And you.
(Low to Roger)
What is going on with Edward, he looks unwell?

ROGER
(Low)
It is nothing you need to worry about.

Roger forcefully grabs Philippa's hand pulling her close to him. Philippa tries to pull away.

ROGER (Cont'd)
Gentlemen, did I mention she is going to be my daughter in law?

GENTLEMAN #2
(To Philippa)
Congratulations on your betrothal.

Philippa smiles lightly, still trying to pull herself free from Rogers' grip.

PHILIPPA
Sir Roger, I think you ought to release me.

Philippa jerks her hand away.

GENTLEMAN #3
She is quite tenacious.

ROGER
As a Plantagenet should be. Come gentleman.

Roger leads the gentlemen away.

CLOSE ON Philippa watching him away.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / PHILIPPA'S CHAMBERS - NIGHT

Philippa is sitting on a chair while Mary brushes her hair.

MARY
Come dear.

Philippa gets up from the chair and walks over to the bed, she climbs under the covers.

MARY (Cont'd)
Sleep well milady.

PHILIPPA
Thank you, Mary.

Mary curtsies, then leaves the room. Philippa waits for the door to close, she then grabs the book from under her pillow, and opens it.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / PHILIPPA'S CHAMBERS - MIDNIGHT

Philippa is reading "Republic" by Plato, peacefully, with candles lit around the room.

PHILIPPA
(To herself)
"The soul takes nothing with her to the next world but her education and her culture..."

A quiet whistle can be heard coming from the large window, leading out to the balcony. Philippa turns her head toward the window. After not having heard the whistle again, she goes back to reading.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
(To Herself)
"At the beginning of the journey to the next world, one's education and culture can either
provide the greatest assistance..."

The whistle comes again, this time louder. Philippa looks back at the window, the whistle doesn't come again. She goes back to reading.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
(To herself)
"or else act as the greatest burden, to the person who has just died."

The whistle comes one more time. Philippa, now annoyed, shuts her book angrily. She gets out of bed, and starts outside to the balcony.

EXT. ENGLISH COURT / PHILIPPA'S CHAMBERS / BALCONY - CONTINUOUS

Philippa looks down the balcony, and sees Edward standing in the grass, looking up at her.

PHILIPPA
What are you doing?

EDWARD III
Come down!

PHILIPPA
No!

EDWARD III
I have something to show you!

PHILIPPA
No, Edward, you are not supposed to be out here!

EDWARD III
Please, it is important! Please!

Philippa turns her head, then turns back to Edward. She starts for the door, grabbing a candle.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / STAIRWAY

Philippa runs down the stairs while trying not to make much noise. The candles lit on the staircase project a brighter light for her to see.

CUT TO:

EXT. FIELDS / BEHIND THE CASTLE

Philippa walks up to Edward.

PHILIPPA
What is it?

EDWARD III
Come with me.

Edward holds out his hand. Philippa takes it. She looks back to the castle as Edward leads her down into the fields.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILLS - AWAY FROM CASTLE

Edward and Philippa are walking hand in hand through the grassy hills.

PHILIPPA
We are not supposed to leave the castle without our guards.

EDWARD III
I may do whatever I wish. I am to be King.

Philippa gazes at her surroundings as she walks through the grass. Edward then leads Philippa to the top of a medium-sized hill. It overlooks a sight of mountains.

Philippa is mesmerized by the moon and the stars shining down onto the English countryside.

EDWARD III
Have you ever seen anything like it?

PHILIPPA
No. Why did you bring me here?

EDWARD III
I wanted you to see it. God's creation.

Philippa looks at Edward, he sits down.

PHILIPPA
I know God's creation as well as any man.

Philippa sits next to Edward, she looks at all the mountains surrounding her. Edward moves Philippa's hair out of her face over her left shoulder. Philippa looks at Edward.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
How are you?

EDWARD III
Heaven only knows.

PHILIPPA
What happened?

Edward pauses.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
Edward, you can tell me.

EDWARD III
My father has been deposed.

PHILIPPA
What?

EDWARD III
My mother... spoke of it to me earlier, well I heard it from my brother first. How comical is that?

PHILIPPA
What does that mean for you?

EDWARD III
I am to be crowned. The next King of England.
(Scoffs)
It sounds so foolish when I say it.

Philippa takes a deep breath.

PHILIPPA
You knew it was coming.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
I did not know it was coming so quickly. I knew of the issues my father had, but I did not think it would get him deposed, most of all by my mother.

Edward stands up, goes to the edge of the hill, and looks out at the moon. Philippa stands up and goes to Edward, she wraps her hands around his arm to comfort him.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
My father taught me a lot, but I do not want to fail like him. He knew so much, but never amounted to anything.

PHILIPPA
You will not fail. I will help you.

Edward turns his head to Philippa, they share an intimate moment of silence. Edward turns back to the moon, Philippa rests her chin on the back of his shoulder.

CUT TO:

EXT. FIELDS / ARCHERY - MORNING

John leads Philippa out onto the fields for the archery between Edward and LORD GEOFFREY. Philippa has her hand on top of John's as he leads her to the front spot in the audience next to Eleanor and Joanna. John then sits next to Eleanor.

Philippa yawns, covering her mouth.

JOANNA
Did you get much sleep last night, sister?

PHILIPPA
No, I did not.

CUT TO:

EDWARD III

Putting an arrow into the bow, getting ready to shoot the target. Edward III focuses on the target, he holds up his arrow, he concentrates, blocking out everything and everyone around him.

The crowd goes silent as Edward gets ready to shoot the arrow. Edward shoots the arrow and it lands just above the bullseye. Edward drops his hands and sighs in frustration. The crowd claps.

CUT TO:

JOANNA

moving to Philippa.

JOANNA
For the future King he sure cannot shoot an arrow.

PHILIPPA
It was right above the bullseye.

JOANNA
The King should hit the bullseye every time. Mother told us when she was engaged to father,
He hit the target like it was the easiest task.

PHILIPPA
Our father is not the King of France in case you have forgotten.

JOANNA
No, but he is a count. Just watch Lord Geoffrey now.

CUT TO:

LORD GEOFFREY

Holding up the bow, he pulls it back, and shoots right into the bullseye. The crowd cheers louder for Lord Geoffrey than they did for Edward III.

LORD GEOFFREY
(Holds hands up)
Perhaps I should take Edward's title!

Edward pushes Lord Geoffrey jokingly, he laughs. The crowd laughs and cheers.

CUT TO:

PHILIPPA

Looking to her left and seeing Isabella in the arms of Roger Mortimer, she gets an uncanny feeling of their relationship.

ELEANOR
What are you looking at?

Philippa looks at Eleanor.

PHILIPPA
Nothing.

Lord Geoffrey shoots another arrow at the bullseye, and the crowd cheers for him. Edward and Philippa lock eyes, she smiles at him.

CUT TO:

EXT. FIELDS - AFTER ARCHERY

The members of the English court are socializing with each other after the end of the archery game between Edward and Lord Geoffrey.

Edward and Lord Geoffrey are speaking with each other away from everyone else.
EDWARD III
You know you are one of my most trusted advisors, Roger however is not.

LORD GEOFFREY
I am afraid he insists on the fact, your grace.

EDWARD III
Well he always seems to, now that my father is away I sometimes fear what he will do with my mother at his side.

Philippa comes to Edward and Lord Geoffrey.

LORD GEOFFREY
(To Philippa)
Your grace.

Lord Geoffrey bows. Philippa smiles.

PHILIPPA
Lord Geoffrey, you are a wonderful archer.

LORD GEOFFREY
Thank you, your grace.

PHILIPPA
Perhaps you could teach Edward a few lessons.

Lord Geoffrey chuckles.

LORD GEOFFREY
I would be happy to, your grace, but I have other business.

PHILIPPA
What sort of business?

LORD GEOFFREY
I have been appointed field marshal.

PHILIPPA
Field marshal?
(Looks at Edward)
By Edward?

LORD GEOFFREY
No, Sir Roger, Your Grace.

PHILIPPA
(Surprised)
Sir Roger?

Philippa looks at Roger as he is speaking with a group of people.

LORD GEOFFREY
Yes, your grace.
(Bows)
Excuse me.

Philippa smiles as Lord Geoffrey leaves. Philippa looks at Edward waiting for him to say something.

PHILIPPA
I thought only Kings were allowed to appoint field marshals, or any other high rank in the military?

EDWARD III
They are.

PHILIPPA
Then why is Sir Roger doing it for you?

EDWARD III
Duties of a lord.

Edward walks away. Philippa starts to feel anxious about Roger Mortimer and his influence at English Court.

CUT TO:

EXT. NORHAM CASTLE - NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND - NIGHT

Scottish soldiers surround the outside of Norham Castle in the darkness, about half a mile away in the woods. They are moving towards the castle, slowly, making very little noise. Their leader THOMAS RANDOLPH, 1ST EARL OF MORAY halts them as they reach the tree line with the castle in their sight.

The Scottish archers place their arrows in their bows, waiting for the signal from Thomas.

Thomas waits for the guards to move to the right places in front of the castle. He then gives off his signal, and the Scottish archers shoot their arrows towards the guards on duty at the castle.

The arrows hit the guards one by one.

CUT TO:

THE GUARDS

Atop the castle, noticing their men on the ground, dying. They look afar and see the Scots in the treeline, hiding in plain sight.

One of the guards rushes to the bell and rings it three times, signaling danger.

CUT TO:

THE SCOTS

rushing toward the walls of Norham Castle. As they get there, they try to break down the door. They push and shove as hard as they can.

The guards atop the castle grab their bows and start shooting arrows at the Scots running below them.

Scottish soldiers start getting hit by the arrows, but most are still trying to break down the door of the castle. With one last budge, the Scots knock down the castle door. Before they know it, English soldiers start rushing out of the castle and slashing them with their swords. The Scots in a frenzy pull out their swords and begin fighting back against the English.

The English tower over the Scots with their soldiers as they slaughter more and more Scotsmen that come their way.

An Englishman cuts a Scotsman's head off, and throws it into the crowd. Thomas stabs his sword into that same Englishman's neck, killing him.

The Scots build up more momentum as the English are killing most of their front army. The Scots start fighting back harder, slaying more English soldiers. They move closer to the castle.

Another group of Scotsmen emerge from the side of the castle. They charge into the fight and start killing more Englishmen. The English start to lose many more of their men than the Scots. The English then realize they cannot win against the strong Scots and begin to fall back.

ENGLISH SOLDIER
RETREAT!

More Englishmen start running away from Norham Castle, signaling the Scots victory.

The Scots cheer as the English disappear into the woods.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY - MORNING

Edward and Philippa are walking arm in arm down the hallway.

EDWARD III
How did you sleep?

PHILIPPA
Well. I do enjoy listening to the sounds of the night.

EDWARD III
When will you allow me to enjoy that with you?

Philippa looks at Edward, she then sees a bloody soldier limping down the hallway.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
Edward.

Edward notices the bloody soldier limping toward him and Philippa, he then runs to him. The bloody soldier almost collapses, but Edward holds him up.

EDWARD III
What happened?

SOLDIER #1
(Coughing)
Your grace, it was the castle.

EDWARD III
What castle?

SOLDIER #1
(Coughing)
Norham Castle. Scotland.

Edward knows exactly what that means, Philippa, however, does not.

EDWARD III
(To Philippa)
Fetch him a physician.

Philippa takes the soldier and leads him down the hallway. Edward goes down the opposite way.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH COURT / GATEHOUSE

Edward III comes out of the castle in full armour, he then hops onto his horse. Philippa comes out of the castle after Edward, worriedly, half her shoulder is covered in blood from the injured soldier.

PHILIPPA
Edward, what is happening?

EDWARD III
Philippa, go back inside the castle.

Roger hops on a horse beside Edward. Isabella comes beside Philippa.

PHILIPPA
Edward?

Lord Geoffrey rides his horse up to Philippa.

LORD GEOFFREY
Milady, the Scots have taken Norham Castle. The Duke must leave straight away.

EDWARD III
Geoffrey!

Philippa is completely lost in the situation and by the way everyone is acting.

ISABELLA
(Taking Philippa's arm)
Philippa, come inside.

Lord Geoffrey, Roger, John, and the other men of the English army ride off away from the castle.

ROGER
Edward!

Edward looks back at Roger, he then takes one last look at Philippa and then rides off on his horse with the rest of the army.

CLOSE ON Isabella hunching up to Philippa.

ISABELLA
Do not worry, Sir Roger knows how to handle the Scots.

Isabella moves away from Philippa. Philippa grows angry, she looks to her left, everyone has started to vacate the premises.

CUT TO:

EXT. NORHAM CASTLE / NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND - NIGHT

Edward, Roger, John, Lord Geoffrey and the English soldiers arrive at Norham Castle to see a small fire burning. Scotsmen are standing atop the castle, burning the English flag. Other Scotsmen are surrounding the entirety of the castle.

THOMAS RANDOLPH, 1ST EARL OF MORAY, the leader of the Scottish Army comes out of the castle with five of his fellow soldiers following behind him for protection, he sees Edward and his army on horseback.

THOMAS
(Pretentious)
Duke Edward...

Edward moves his horse towards Thomas.

ROGER
Edward, stop.

Edward stops his horse.

THOMAS (Cont'd)
I'll have to admit, I was not expecting you so soon. Have you managed to keep England well, son?

Roger moves his horse in front of Edward.

ROGER
He does not handle the affairs!

Thomas glances at Roger and then looks back at Edward.

THOMAS
(Chuckles)
Is this man speaking for you, your grace? Have they not given you a mind of your own yet?

EDWARD III
You have stepped foot in the wrong territory, Thomas!

Thomas looks around with a sarcastic grin.

THOMAS
It looks like this territory belongs to King Robert and Scotland now. Doesn't it look that way to you too, your grace? Or have we not killed enough of your men to show?

Thomas turns around and starts walking toward the castle.

THOMAS (Cont'd)
Of course if you want it back you will have to fight.
(Pretentious)
Your grace.

Thomas turns around.

THOMAS (Cont'd)
But we both know you could not even take out my weakest soldiers.

CLOSE ON more English soldiers hiding in the tree line in the woods. Thomas is underestimating the English's ability.

EDWARD III
If you want the fight we will gladly proceed!

Thomas pulls out his sword, preparing to fight.

THOMAS
We are waiting, your grace, we have been for ages! Go on, make your move, boy!

ROGER
(To Edward)
Stand back.

Edward looks at Roger confused.

Thomas laughs in the distance.

A Scottish soldier comes out of Norham Castle with the head of a priest. The soldier launches it to Edward and his men. Some of Edward's men look away not wanting to see the bloody severed head of the priest that they had killed.

THOMAS
I believe he belongs to you. The priest.

Thomas and the soldiers surrounding him, stare blankly at Edward and his men, waiting for them to make a move.

LORD GEOFFREY
(To Edward)
We are waiting for the word, your grace.

ROGER
No, everyone stands back.

EDWARD III
(To Roger)
We have dozens of men waiting on the tree line. We ourselves can take them. They stand no chance against us.

ROGER
Keep your mouth shut, you have no idea what you speak of boy!

Edward glares at Roger, not able to believe what he just said.

ROGER (Cont'd)
We are going back! We rest the fight!

Edward moves toward Roger before he starts off into the woods.

EDWARD III
If we do not attack now, they will grow stronger, we will not be able to make them surrender the castle.

ROGER
We are going back.

EDWARD III
I know their tactics, Roger. It will not work if we leave them now.

ROGER
(Firm)
We are going back!

Roger starts off into the woods. The rest of the army follows behind Roger.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THRONE ROOM - MORNING

Philippa is biting her nails nervously. Eleanor and Joanna are standing beside her, trying to calm her down.

ELEANOR
Philippa?

PHILIPPA
What is keeping them?

ELEANOR
I am sure they will not be too long. You should not worry too much.

Philippa stands up and starts pacing around the room.

PHILIPPA
I would feel a lot better if I knew what was going on in this place.

JOANNA
I do not think anyone knows what is happening.

Philippa stops abruptly.

PHILIPPA
His majesty the King's mother knows. She does not speak a word to anyone. God only knows what else she is hiding from everyone at court.

The bells ring, Philippa notices, and quickly starts out of the room.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / CASTLE DOORS

The guards open the doors and Philippa runs out of the castle.

EXT. ENGLISH COURT / GATEHOUSE - CONTINUOUS

Edward arrives back on his horse along with the rest of his army, unharmed. Edward hops off his horse, Philippa runs to him.

PHILIPPA
(Frantic)
Are you alright?

EDWARD III
I am fine.

PHILIPPA
I thought you might have been hurt.

EDWARD III
No one laid a hand on me. I am alright.

Edward strokes Philippa's chin, and kisses her on the nose. Edward then glares at Roger getting off his horse.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THRONE ROOM
Edward and Philippa are sitting on their thrones. John, Eleanor, Roger Mortimer, Isabella, Joanna, Lord Geoffrey, and some of the King's army are standing below them at the front. The other members of the English court surround them.

EDWARD III
Scotland has taken Norham Castle. If we want it back we must fight.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Is battle not the best solution, brother?

ROGER
(Speaking out of turn)
No it is not. It never is.

Philippa glares at Roger.

EDWARD III
Of course it is not, but we have been at war with Scotland long before this mishap. This is one of Scotland's only attempts at victory with the castle.

LORD GEOFFREY
They killed almost all your men, your grace. Are you going to do nothing about that?

EDWARD III
I am aware, and we have a lot more waiting in the wings if needed.

ROGER
Then what is your plan, your grace?

Edward looks at Roger.

EDWARD III
We go beyond the limits and fight.

ROGER
Your grace, what makes you think we can go beyond the limits with the Scots now that they have taken the castle? You said yourself that we have been at war long before this. Going beyond the limits is something your father should have done when he was King.

There is a long pause between Edward and Roger.

EDWARD III
As I told you when we were there, I know their tactics, for now. We go beyond the limits and we go in for the taking. By all means I will fight for this country against any threat from anyone.

Roger scoffs.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Is there a problem, sir Roger?

ROGER
Your grace, forgive me, but your decisions are much too undermining for the certainty of this country.

The people of English Court look at Roger, shocked at his disrespect towards Edward.

EDWARD III
I am sure you know all about undermining decisions, Sir Roger.

Edward gets off his throne, the people make a path for him. Edward storms right out of the throne room.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / MEETING ROOM

Edward walks into the meeting room where he sees Roger standing all by himself.

EDWARD III
Sir Roger.

Roger looks at Edward.

ROGER
Your grace.

EDWARD III
Who do you think you are, disrespecting me in front of my people in such a way?

ROGER
Your grace, I had no intention of trying to disrespect you. I am trying to make you understand the potential consequences of what your decisions may be.

EDWARD III
You are in no position to lecture me on anything. What is it you know about Scotland that I do not?

ROGER
I am in a position to lecture you, boy. Have you ever been in war?

Edward pauses.

ROGER (Cont'd)
Have you ever killed a man?

Edward stays silent, knowing he has never done such a thing.

ROGER (Cont'd)
Precisely. You should be grateful to God you have my influence, because if you did not you would have died out there at Norham Castle leaving your country without a King and your betrothed all alone before you have even been married. You let me handle the Scotland affairs and we will possess no further problems.

Roger leaves the meeting room. Roger's words really take effect on Edward.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / EDWARD'S CHAMBERS - NIGHT

Edward is leaning his hands against the fireplace in his chambers, thinking to himself. Someone (Philippa) knocks on the door.

EDWARD III
Enter!

Philippa opens the door, walks in, and shuts the door behind her. Edward looks at Philippa in awe.

PHILIPPA
Forgive me, I know it is late.

EDWARD III
Please, your presence is peaceful.

Philippa looks around Edward's room.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
What is on your mind?

PHILIPPA
I have my concerns about Roger.

EDWARD III
You and I both.

PHILIPPA
Do you know how your father's been?

EDWARD III
I do not go near him. Roger says he is safe at Berkeley castle.

A short pause.

PHILIPPA
Would it be safe to say I do not trust your mother either?

EDWARD III
What are you implying?

PHILIPPA
Nothing.

Philippa walks closer to Edward.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
I do not think she has your best interest at heart.

EDWARD III
I try to give my mother the benefit of the doubt. My father was not kind to her. He was the sole reason my mother found Roger.

PHILIPPA
So what are you going to do about everything?

EDWARD III
I am going to become King.

CUT TO:

INT. WESTMINSTER ABBEY

The doors to Westminster Abbey open, the trumpets begin playing as Duke Edward of Aquitaine walks in. Behind him walks two single file lines of people, the person in the front row of each line is holding the Plantagenet staff.

Every guest in the Abbey turns to look at Edward III, he looks up at the mosaic-like ceilings of the Abbey, then looks down to see WALTER REYNOLDS, THE ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY waiting for his approach.

Philippa is standing alongside Eleanor, Isabella, behind her stands her sister Joanna. Two sections behind Joanna stands Roger Mortimer. Isabella glances at Roger from the first row, he smirks at her.

Edward III looks at Philippa as he reaches the end of the aisle, Philippa smiles at him lightly. Edward bows his head to her, then he walks up the steps. The two lines of people stop in the aisle.

Edward kneels down in front of the Archduke Walter Reynolds. Edward puts his hands together and says a quick prayer to the lord to himself.

Walter Reynolds blesses Edward III, then blesses the crown. He picks up the crown slowly, then places it atop Edward's head.

Walter Reynolds steps back from Edward as he arises, he walks to the throne, turns around, and sits down straight up. Walter Reynolds hands Edward his royal staff. Walter then steps down from the throne.

EDWARD III
The church of God and the whole Christian people shall have true peace at all times by our judgment; that I will forbid extortion and all kinds of wrong-doing to all orders of men; that I will enjoin equity and mercy in all judgments!

Philippa smiles.

WALTER REYNOLDS
God save the King!

EVERYONE
God save the King!

The crowd gives a round of applause for the newly crowned King Edward III of England. Edward locks eyes with Philippa as she smiles at him, clapping her hands.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THE GREAT HALL

Flags fall down from the balcony of the great hall in celebration of the newly crowned King of England.

Roger Mortimer walks up to Isabella and kisses her on the cheek.

Edward III walks into the great hall with Philippa on his arm. Everyone in the great hall claps and cheers. Edward III and Philippa smile as the people bow and curtsy to them. Edward III places his hand on Philippa's hand.

John comes up to Edward. Philippa walks away.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Edward.

John bows to Edward.

EDWARD III
My day has finally come, brother.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Long live the King.

Edward hugs John.

CUT TO:

PHILIPPA

Standing beside Joanna, she takes a sip of wine.

JOANNA
How does it feel knowing you are going to be crowned next?

PHILIPPA
Not like you would think.

JOANNA
What do you mean?

PHILIPPA
(Rude manner)
Joanna, I would appreciate it if we did not speak about my coronation. Edward and I are yet to even be wed.

JOANNA
I'm sorry, sister.

PHILIPPA
No, No I did not have to raise my voice that way.

Philippa takes another sip of wine.

JOANNA
Is there a date set for your marriage then?

PHILIPPA
I know not. Ask Isabella why the delay is so long.

Philippa looks at Roger and Isabella as they are laughing with each other and Lord Geoffrey.

CUT TO:

THOMAS RANDOLPH

And two of his guards coming into the great hall, looking around at everyone in the celebration. His eye catches Philippa, his intended target. Thomas goes to her.

THOMAS
Your grace.

Philippa turns to Thomas.

THOMAS (Cont'd)
How lovely to meet you.

Thomas kisses Philippa's hand.

CUT TO:

EDWARD III

speaking with John and a group of people, he sees Thomas Randolph set Philippa's hand down. He watches him off the corner of his eye, he is curious about his presence around Philippa and at English Court.

CUT TO:

PHILIPPA

Smiling at Thomas.

PHILIPPA
Forgive me, I do not know who you are.

THOMAS
Thomas Randolph, Earl of Moray. Nephew of King Robert of Scotland.

Philippa pauses. Her smile fades, she licks her lips as she looks to both her sides almost as if her head is shaking.

PHILIPPA
And how may I help you, Sir Thomas?

THOMAS
Well it is regarding your husband. Or your betrothed, you are not married yet are you?

Philippa looks at Edward, they then make eye contact.

PHILIPPA
What about Edward?

THOMAS
King Robert would like to give his best wishes to him.

Philippa's eyes blink faster than normal as she looks away. She knows the words coming out of Thomas's mouth are complete and utter garbage.

PHILIPPA
I do not think his wishes will benefit much here.

THOMAS
Well his father has been deposed, so what makes him a different King?

PHILIPPA
Edward is nothing like his father.

THOMAS
So much so?

Philippa's heart beat picks up as she grows more nervous. Her chest rises as her breath spans are shorter.

PHILIPPA
Forgive me, I must go speak with my sister.

Philippa starts away.

THOMAS
There is something else you might want to know.

Philippa stops in her tracks, she turns around.

PHILIPPA
And what might that be?

Thomas walks toward Philippa, he stands close by her ear.

THOMAS
(Low)
If Mortimer tries to attack, it will be the very end of you and the English army. Consider that a threat on behalf of King Robert.

Philippa looks at him angrily.

PHILIPPA
What would permit Sir Roger to attack?

THOMAS
He assumes the throne of England, and you my dear should know the rest of the story.

Thomas walks away. Philippa then exhales trying to catch her breath. Edward comes up to her and grabs her arms.

EDWARD III
Hey, hey chin up, chin up.

Edward lifts Philippa's chin up to face him.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
You cannot cry in front of him.

PHILIPPA
(Weeping)
He threatened the army, Edward and me as well. He threatened you!

EDWARD III
He will not get to you or me.

PHILIPPA
And he knows of your basic abdication of the throne. Sir Roger in your place.

EDWARD III
I have not abdicated the throne. He only went after you, because of your vulnerability, you cannot show him you are vulnerable.

Philippa pauses, trying to catch her breath.

PHILIPPA
Please promise me you will not go back to Norham Castle.

EDWARD III
Philippa...

PHILIPPA
Please, Edward, please. Let the Scots have Norham Castle, do not go back there. They will kill you, I know it.

Edward stops, the endangered emotion of Philippa is enough for him to consider.

EDWARD III
Alright, I promise. I will not go back.

Edward hugs Philippa to calm her down.

PHILIPPA
I cannot lose you.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH COURT / GATEHOUSE - MIDDAY

Edward comes out of the castle in full armour. Lord Geoffrey hands him his sword. Roger, John, and the rest of the army are on their horses preparing to return to Norham Castle.

EDWARD III
(To Roger)
Do not speak to Philippa about this. I would like to tell her myself when I get the chance.

Edward puts his helmet on, then gets onto his horse. Roger gives a look of decency to Edward, he admires the deceit Edward is doing to Philippa only to further push his importance on the throne. Roger and the army start down the path, away from the castle.

CUT TO:

EXT. NORHAM CASTLE / NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND - NIGHT

Roger Mortimer is leading the english army quietly through the trees, making way to Norham Castle, which is still held by the Scots. They are marching as quietly as possible, the archers are holding their arrows in front of them for a surprise attack.

Lord Geoffrey moves in front of Roger Mortimer, and halts the army. Lord Geoffrey holds up his arrow, he then shoots it toward Norham Castle. They see the arrow hit the guard standing atop the castle, he is killed instantly. He falls over the edge, hammering the ground.

ROGER
ATTACK!

The English army sprint out onto the fields with their swords, Roger follows behind half of the army along with an inexperienced Edward.

CUT TO:

A SCOTSMAN

ringing the bell at Norham Castle.

The Scottish army comes storming out of the castle with their swords and shields.

The English and the Scottish ram right into each other, they all begin slaughtering each other one by one, Scotsman to Englishman and Englishman to Scotsman.

CUT TO:

JOHN AND EDWARD

fighting side by side, slaughtering every Scot that comes their way. John slits the throat of one Scotsman. Edward then stabs one other Scotsman in the stomach.

John and Edward turn around quickly, clashing their swords together. John and Edward smirk at each other, they then run in opposite directions to continue the fight.

CUT TO:

A GROUP OF SCOTS

struggling to fight back against the English. They are outnumbered and underprepared for a fight.
CUT TO:

INSIDE OF NORHAM CASTLE

The Scots, building up another large Army, but the English have no idea of the Scots extra soldiers. They assume they are able to overpower them.

CUT TO:

LORD GEOFFREY

Moving through the people in front of Norham Castle, trying to reach the now closed door.

LORD GEOFFREY
USE THE BATTERING RAM!

Six English soldiers pull up the battering ram, they then begin pounding it against the castle wall.

CUT TO:

ROGER MORTMIER

And the other English soldiers slaughtering the scots.

CUT TO:

THE SIX ENGLISH SOLDIERS

hitting the castle walls one more time. The door finally breaks open.

The hundreds of Scottish soldiers, placed inside of Norham Castle, come rushing out with their weapons; they begin taking out all the English soldiers in their sight.

Edward slits a Scotsman's throat and then throws him off to the ground. He turns to see the massacre of his men at the hands of the Scots in front of the castle. Many of them are dying quickly. Edward then runs to the aid of the English soldiers and helps to take out a few more of the Scots.
CUT TO:

ROGER

Seeing all the Scotsmen rushing out of the castle, and seeing the Englishmen being mutilated by them. Roger looks back at the forest, then back at the Englishmen.

Roger sees more and more Englishmen retreating back behind enemy lines. He quickly loses hope, he realizes the English cannot win this battle.

ROGER
RETREAT! RETREAT!

CUT TO:

EDWARD

Being pushed back by a few Englishmen trying to save his life. Edward, however, wants to continue the fight.

The rest of the English army starts to fall back. They start running for the forest. Roger takes his sword and kills a few Scotsmen as he runs back. One Scotsman hits him in the face with his sword knocking him down, Roger then takes his sword and stabs him in the stomach.

Roger gets up and sees Lord Geoffrey surrounded by three Scotsmen as he's stabbed to death with swords, dying right on the spot.

EDWARD III
GEOFFREY!

Edward sprints to Lord Geoffrey. Before Edward can reach him, two Englishmen grab Edward to save him. Edward tries to shake the Englishmen off him. They pull him back to the forest with them.

Roger runs back to the forest, leaving everyone else to fend for themselves.

CUT TO:

EXT. FIELDS / AWAY FROM CASTLE - MORNING

Philippa is sitting in the grass, reading "Republic" by PLato. A few of her guards surround her in the distance.

CLOSE ON Philippa as the wind blows through her hair.

All of a sudden, Mary comes running up the hill toward Philippa.

MARY
(Out of breath)
Your grace.

Philippa turns around. Philippa's guards halt Mary from coming any closer to her.

PHILIPPA
Mary, what is wrong? What is it?

MARY
(breathing heavily)
Your grace, you are needed back at the castle.

PHILIPPA
What is happening?

MARY
(Forcefully)
Please, just go back to the castle, your grace!

Philippa gets up and rushes down the hill toward the castle.

CUT TO:

EXT. STREETS OF ENGLAND

Roger is riding atop his horse along with the rest of the English army through the streets of England. The citizens of England start throwing rocks at Roger Mortimer, furious with his loss against Scotland a second time, damaging the country even more.

The English citizens are fed up with Roger, they yell vulgar terms at him as he passes by like "swine" and "damn you" and "hell is waiting for you".

One of the rocks smashes Roger in the face, he catches it as it falls in his hand, and he chucks it back into the crowd angrily. Roger speeds up his horse to get away from the village quicker.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH COURT / GATEHOUSE

Philippa walks out of the castle along with Queen Isabella.

Roger and the army approach the castle from the path. Philippa sees the blood and dirt all over their armour and faces. They look exhausted and dehydrated. Some can barely even sit upright on their horses.

ISABELLA
Oh thank heavens we did not lose many men.

Philippa gives a disgusted look to Isabella.

PHILIPPA
You knew about this?

ISABELLA
I ordered it on Edward's behalf.

Philippa pauses.

PHILIPPA
Half the men are gone!

ISABELLA
That is what war is, my dear.

A beat.

PHILIPPA
(Low)
When Edward hears about this, he is going to annihilate you.

Philippa goes to Roger Mortimer as he's just gotten off his horse, she then slaps him hard across the face.

EDWARD III (O.S.)
Philippa!

Philippa sees Edward atop his horse and stops. All of a sudden, Roger grabs Philippa's neck with both his hands, he tries to choke her for slapping him.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
HEY!

Philippa's guards quickly pull Roger off of her and shove him away. Edward goes to Roger, grabs his neck and shoves him to the ground.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
DON'T YOU EVER LAY YOUR HANDS ON MY WIFE!

ISABELLA
Edward!

Isabella puts her hands on Edward's chest and moves him away from Roger. Edward turns toward Philippa, she looks at him.

EDWARD III
Philippa...

PHILIPPA
What have you done? You went to Norham Castle?

Edward walks closer to Philippa.

EDWARD III
Philippa, let me explain.

PHILIPPA
Oh, there is no need.

Philippa marches back into the castle. Edward runs after Philippa into the castle.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY

Philippa is speed walking down the hallway, her body hunched up, staying professional as she passes English court members. They bow and curtsy to her.

Edward turns into the hallway, running after Philippa. The members bow and curtsy to him as he passes them.

EDWARD III
Philippa!

Philippa continues walking, paying no attention to Edward.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Philippa, stop!

Edward finally catches up to Philippa, he grabs her and forcefully turns her around to face him.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
This is not what you think it is.

PHILIPPA
By all means you do not want to know what I think.

EDWARD III
Philippa, you just do not understand.

PHILIPPA
You have a duty to your country, I want that for you, but do not ever tell me that I do not understand. I want to stand by you, but I cannot do that if you hide things from me.

EDWARD III
Some things are better left unspoken.

Philippa gives a grieving expression to Edward, she shakes her head.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
We were never meant to attack like this. I wanted it the last time.

PHILIPPA
What?

EDWARD III
If we would have attacked last time we would have had the castle back, but Roger insisted we do not.

PHILIPPA
Why are you still listening to Sir Roger? It is of his authority that you could have died up there. That is why I begged you to stay away.

EDWARD III
It is complicated, and with my mother at his side, it makes everything he does indisputable.

Philippa pauses, her look understanding, but her mind in a whirlwind. Edward loosens his grip on Philippa's arm.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Please try to understand.

Philippa walks away from Edward.

CUT TO:

INT. BATHHOUSE - NIGHT

Roger is sitting in a bathtub as Isabella is cleaning him up with a rag. She runs the wet rag up and down his chest, and runs her fingers through his hair.

ISABELLA
How bad was it?

ROGER
It was not graceful.

ISABELLA
Perhaps I should not have ordered it.

ROGER
It was my doing as well, and I felt it necessary. There was no way we could have taken the castle back the first time.

Isabella stands up and grabs another rag from across the room.

ISABELLA
I can see the suspicion in Philippa's eyes. It never goes away. She speaks to Edward about everything.

ROGER
She will not be a problem.

ISABELLA
And what makes you so sure? You see how involved she gets, and you know how Edward adores her so.

Isabella kneels down and continues cleaning Roger with the new rag.

ROGER
Philippa and Edward are not going to be affectionate after this. He lied to her, she will never let that escape her mind.

ISABELLA
Edward is still very protective of her, Roger,
if you try anything...

ROGER
(Cutting her off)
He will not know a thing about it.

ISABELLA
What are you going to do?

Little beat.

ROGER
Do not dwell on it.

ISABELLA
If you cross her, Edward is going to find out.

ROGER
You let me dwell on that.

Isabella squeezes water from the rag onto Roger's head.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / PHILIPPA'S CHAMBERS

Philippa and Mary walk into her chambers, they see Roger Mortimer standing in front of the bed. Philippa tenses up.

ROGER
Philippa.

PHILIPPA
What do you want?

Roger walks toward Philippa.

ROGER
I did not enjoy that slap you gave me.

PHILIPPA
You must leave my chambers at this moment.

Roger stops.

ROGER
Now that is what it is. You have no authority over me. If you ever shame me like that again, in front of your husband the King...

Roger steps closer to Philippa, and speaks into her ear.

ROGER (Cont'd)
(Low)
It will be the last thing you ever do. And I will know if you speak to Edward about this.

Roger steps back.

ROGER (Cont'd)
Is that understood?

Philippa glares at him.

ROGER (Cont'd)
Good. Your grace.

Roger bows and leaves Philippa's chambers.

Philippa gasps trying to catch her breath. Shocked by all means she has to maintain her balance on the table beside her.

MARY
Your grace he cannot threaten you like that.

PHILIPPA
Do not speak of this to Edward, do you understand?

Mary says nothing.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
Do you understand, Mary!

MARY
Yes, your grace. Yes.

Philippa marches out of her chambers.
CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THRONE ROOM

Philippa walks into the throne room, sees Isabella, and stops. Philippa then marches to Isabella.

ISABELLA
Your grace.

PHILIPPA
May I speak with you, lady mother?

ISABELLA
Of course.

Isabella and Philippa walk away from the chatter of the men in the throne room.

PHILIPPA
What have you and Roger Mortimer been doing?

Isabella looks at Philippa confused.

ISABELLA
I am afraid I do not know what you mean?

PHILIPPA
You know well what I mean. I want an answer.

ISABELLA
Philippa, I do not know what you speak of.

PHILIPPA
Sir Roger threatened me in my own chambers in front of my servant.

Isabella pauses.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
I assume you know all about it.

ISABELLA
What I know is none of your concern. You are not to speak to me in such a way.

PHILIPPA
It seems nothing is ever my concern around here, but you will tell me, unless I should consult my husband about it.

ISABELLA
I cannot stop you from doing that.

PHILIPPA
Edward is the King of England.

ISABELLA
Yes, I am well aware, I did birth him, your grace.

PHILIPPA
And yet he is not able to rule as the true King, on account of your liaison with Roger Mortimer.

ISABELLA
Are you accusing me of something?

PHILIPPA
How could you order this invasion?

ISABELLA
Philippa...

PHILIPPA
You will address me as your grace. If Roger would have let Edward attack before, Norham castle would still belong to England, and Lord Geoffrey would not be dead as a result.

ISABELLA
And yet Edward went anyway. It seems he does not like to take the advice of a woman who is beneath him.
Philippa pauses.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
This is not my story to discuss any further with you. Perhaps you should consult your husband about it... your grace.

BACKGROUND Edward comes into the throne room.

EDWARD III (O.S.)
Philippa.

Philippa turns around and looks at Edward, she looks back at Isabella, then goes over to Edward.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Philippa... Sir Roger has come upon some complications regarding Scotland.

PHILIPPA
What does that mean?

EDWARD III
Scotland has crossed an English border and we must return the fight before they continue any further. We are leaving as soon as dawn breaks.

Philippa scoffs and looks down.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
I know you are angry with me, but this is something I must do.

PHILIPPA
(Low)
I am not angry, Edward.

EDWARD III
Then look at me.

It takes Philippa a moment, but she gets herself to look Edward in the eye.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
I am fighting to preserve my country.

PHILIPPA
At what expense, Edward? Roger's?

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
If I die... I will die knowing I did everything I could to protect England.

Philippa is not content with the way things are going.

PHILIPPA
And you should be. But dying for England under Roger Mortimer will never be.

Philippa walks away. Edward looks after her, wondering of the issues he knows she is not telling him.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH COURT / GATEHOUSE - DAWN

The sun has just barely risen upon the Earth.

Edward, Roger Mortimer, John and the English Army are preparing to leave. Philippa is standing near the castle with Eleanor, Joanna and Isabella.

Roger takes Isabella off to the side.

ROGER
I will return to you.

Roger kisses Isabella on the cheek.

CUT TO:

PHILIPPA

Glaring at Roger and Isabella as they speak to each other. Edward comes up to Philippa, she looks up at him as he approaches her. Edward goes in to kiss Philippa's cheek, but she immediately pulls her face back. Edward sighs, a bit frustrated.

EDWARD III
I do not know how long I will be gone.

PHILIPPA
Hopefully it will be long enough for my sake.

Edward shakes his lead a little, knowing he will not please Philippa for the time being.

EDWARD III
I hope you will pray for my safe return, Philippa.

Philippa doesn't look Edward in the eye. Edward goes over to his horse, he gets onto it. Roger gets onto his horse as does John. Roger, Edward and John start their horses down the path with the rest of the English army, leading away from the castle.

Philippa looks over at Edward as his horse takes him away. Edward turns around and looks at Philippa, they both make intimate eye contact one last time. As Edward's presence fades off, Philippa becomes emotional.

CUT TO:

EXT. FIELDS OF YORK, ENGLAND

The English Army is built of thousands and thousands of soldiers eager to take the fight to Scotland. Roger and Edward are leading the English Army through the green fields of York. Riding behind Edward is John.

Up ahead, Edward notices something in the sky. Edward stops his horse in his tracks. Roger stops his horse along with Edward.

ROGER
What is it?

EDWARD III
Look.

Roger looks up ahead. There are burning flames and smoke coming into the sky.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Come on.

Edward starts his horse running through the fields. Roger follows behind him.

CUT TO:

EXT. DURHAM, ENGLAND / VILLAGE - SUNSET

Edward, Roger, John and the army have reached the countryside of Durham, England and have found that their farms have been burnt to the ground, perpetuated by the Scottish Army.

Edward and Roger are riding around on their horses, looking at the destruction the fire has caused the farms and the people living in them.

Edward rides up to one of the village people.

EDWARD III
Who did this to you?

VILLAGE PERSON #1
It was the Scots. They ran right through here with no mercy.

EDWARD III
Where did they go?

VILLAGE PERSON #1
I know not.

Edward pauses for a moment.

EDWARD III
(To Everyone)
WHERE HAVE THE SCOTS GONE?!

Everyone looks at Edward on top of his horse.

FARMER (O.S.)
They rode off that way.

Edward looks down at a poor farmer who is standing near his horse. The farmer is pointing off toward the sunset.

FARMER (Cont'd)
After they burned everything they rode off in that direction.

Roger comes up next to Edward on his horse.

ROGER
(To Edward)
They are going back to Scotland.

Edward looks at Roger.

EDWARD III
How do you know?

ROGER
That is their quickest route. We will not follow them.

EDWARD III
What?

ROGER
Let us intercept them heading back to Scotland. We cut them off of their path and prepare to attack with full force.

Edward starts his horse out of the village. Roger follows behind Edward.

CLOSE UP on the sunset.

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. HAYDON, ENGLAND / ENGLISH CAMP - NIGHT

The camera dissolves from the sunset into the moon during the night. We can see a camp of tents has been set up on the fields for the English Army to take rest while waiting for the Scottish Army to approach the territory.

CUT TO:

INT. EDWARD'S TENT

Edward, Roger and John are sitting at a small circular table inside of the tent eating supper. John notices Edward has dozed off and is not eating the food in front of him.

JOHN
Edward?

Edward looks at John.

JOHN (Cont'd)
You are not eating.

EDWARD III
I am not hungry.

ROGER
Surely you must eat to prepare yourself in case of battle.

Edward glares at Roger.

EDWARD III
Philippa seems to have doubts about your presence at English court.

ROGER
And you are to listen to what your wife tells you of me?

EDWARD III
I am to listen to her suspicions as she is to be my wife.

Roger smirks.

ROGER
Your mind should be on that of the Scots and how we are to defeat them.

EDWARD III
I think about that day and night. Ever since my father was deposed as King it was all I have thought about. How am I to do what my father did not do as king? How am I to be the King of my people?

ROGER
So what does your ignorant wife's suspicions have to do with your duty to be a great King?

EDWARD III
She worries, I worry.

ROGER
She knows nothing. Perhaps she should keep her mouth closed if she knows what is good for her here. And perhaps you should learn to listen to those who are above you.

Edward gets up and marches out of his tent in anger. John glares at Roger.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH CAMP

Edward starts walking through the camp. A soldier by the name of THOMAS ROKESBY approaches Edward.

THOMAS ROKESBY
Your grace. Your grace.

Edward stops and turns to face Thomas.

THOMAS ROKESBY (Cont'd)
We are ready to depart.

Thomas leads Edward the opposite way down the camp.

CUT TO:

FOUR ENGLISH SOLDIERS

Sitting on top of their horses, waiting. Thomas Rokesby and Edward approach the English soldiers in wait. There is an empty horse where Thomas Rokesby will be sitting. Edward grabs Thomas's arm, stopping him.

EDWARD III
(To Thomas quietly)
If you bring me news of the Scots, you will all be knighted and given a pension of one hundred marks.

THOMAS
Yes, your grace.

EDWARD III
Bring me news.

THOMAS
Yes, your grace.

Thomas Rokesby gets onto his horse. The five English soldiers start off into the darkness of the fields in search of where the Scottish Army is hiding out.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY

Philippa is sitting on a window sill in the hallway all by herself, she is crying quietly.

Joanna, who is walking down the hallway, sees Philippa all by her lonesome, sobbing.

JOANNA
Philippa?

Joanna goes over to Philippa and sits down beside her.

JOANNA (Cont'd)
Philippa, why are you crying?

Philippa wipes her tears away.

PHILIPPA
I am going to lose Edward.

JOANNA
What?

PHILIPPA
I let him go without giving him a proper goodbye. I do not know if he will come back to me.

Philippa starts crying again.

JOANNA
Sister... Did he promise you he would return?

PHILIPPA
He hoped I would pray.

JOANNA
Edward would never leave you with nothing.

PHILIPPA
But it is my fault. I was angry with him and I let him go.

JOANNA
He knows you care for him.

PHILIPPA
I love him.

Joanna puts her arm around Philippa to comfort her as she cries onto her shoulder.

JOANNA
It will be alright.

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. WOODS - ONE WEEK LATER

Edward, Roger, John and the English Army are moving southwards to find a new way to locate the Scottish Army.

Off to the side, there is one man on a horse riding toward the English Army. The man on the horse gets closer and closer. Roger turns his head and sees the man on the horse riding toward them.

ROGER
Edward.

Edward turns his head and notices the man on the horse. A few men of the English Army move in front of Edward and Roger to protect them, they draw their swords to the man on the horse as he gets even closer.

As the man on the horse comes into clear view, Edward sees that it is Thomas Rokesby.

EDWARD III
It is Thomas.

Edward gets off his horse and goes over to Thomas Rokesby on his horse. Thomas stops his horse in front of Edward, he is dirty from head to toe, he has also been beaten.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Thomas?

THOMAS ROKESBY
Your grace.

EDWARD III
What happened?

THOMAS ROKESBY
The Scots have captured the other English soldiers. They sent me to tell you that they have much desire to fight and will wait for your arrival.

EDWARD III
Where are they? Where did you locate them?

THOMAS ROKESBY
Near Stanhope.

Edward looks back at Roger, he then looks back at Thomas

EDWARD III
Can you take us there?

THOMAS ROKESBY
Yes, your grace.

Edward walks over to his horse and gets onto it again. Thomas Rokesby starts his horse through the woods. Edward, Roger, John and the English Army follow behind Thomas Rokesby.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE RIVER WEAR - STANHOPE, DURHAM

A small part of the English Army comes upon the edge of the River Wear where they see a larger Scottish Army waiting on the other side of the river; they had formed up into three large schiltron formations on the slope of a hill close to the River Wear. Edward and Roger are astounded at the kind of strong defensive position the Scots have been able to put themselves in.

JAMES DOUGLAS
King Edward!

EDWARD III
You broke our treaty, Douglas! You invaded our land and burned our territory, murdered our people! You are playing with fire, I am warning you, stand your men down!

CLOSE ON John looking at the surrounding land, quickly realizing that he and his men cannot fight the Scots on that kind of ground.

JAMES DOUGLAS
Scotland is fighting for independence from your reign over our country! My men will die for this! The English will no longer be able to rule over the people of Scotland!

JOHN
(To Edward)
The grounds are too swampy, Edward. We would never be able to make it past the river well enough. Their position is too strong for us to confront, we have to retreat back.

Edward turns toward John.

JOHN (Cont'd)
We must find a different way to cross the river.

CLOSE UP on a panic ensued Edward.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH CAMP / NEAR STANHOPE - NIGHT

The English Army are all asleep for the night in their tents. It is dead quiet, there is no noise being made.

CUT TO:

EXT. OUTSIDE OF ENGLISH CAMP - NIGHT
A group of English soldiers are standing guard near the English camp, they are looking out for anything that could be a threat to them.

All of a sudden, an arrow comes flying and hits one of the soldiers in the neck, killing him. The other soldiers take notice and pull out their swords in defense.

More arrows come flying and start hitting the English soldiers who are standing guard outside the English camp. The last English soldier on guard gets hit in the stomach with an arrow and dies instantly.

James Douglas and Thomas Randolph come out of the shadows with the Scottish Army standing behind them. The Scottish Army starts invading the English camp.

JAMES DOUGLAS
YE SHALL ALL DIE, THIEVES OF ENGLAND!

CUT TO:

INT. ROGER'S TENT

Roger awakens from the sounds of screaming and yelling coming from outside his tent. Roger gets up and grabs his sword, he then rushes outside.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH CAMP

Roger sees the men of the English Army being slaughtered at the hands of the Scottish Army. Roger rushes over to an Englishman in need of help, he takes his sword and slashes the Scotsman attacking him. The Scotsman dies.

ROGER
PROTECT THE KING!

CUT TO:

INT. EDWARD'S TENT

Edward awakens from a group of English soldiers storming his tent, he sits up, confused about the current situation.

EDWARD III
What is going on?

The English soldiers grab Edward's arms and stand him up.

In a matter of seconds, something hard hits Edward's tent and it collapses almost immediately with Edward and the English soldiers inside.

A wooden staff falls onto Edward's stomach and knocks the wind out of him. Edward gasps for breath.

James Douglas comes into the collapsed tent, he takes his sword and stabs each one of the English soldier's around Edward, killing every single one of them. James grabs Edward's neck and pulls him to his feet.

JAMES DOUGLAS
Prepare for your men to die, your grace.

Edward punches James Douglas across the face. James retaliates by punching Edward in the face, he falls to the ground. Edward grabs his sword and swipes it at James, he steps back to avoid getting hit.

Edward gets up and throws the sword at James, he dodges it. Edward then attacks James to the ground. James pushes Edward off of him, he gets up and grabs Edward's neck again.

All of a sudden, two English soldiers shove James off of Edward, two other English soldiers grab Edward and push him behind their bodies for protection.

The two other English soldiers shove James out of the collapsed tent to kill him.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH CAMP

A group of Scotsmen grab James Douglas and help him stand up, they then take off running away from the English camp. They have burned and destroyed as much as they possibly could.

The two English soldiers come out of the collapsed tent with King Edward behind their back.

Edward looks around at the destruction the Scottish Army has caused the English camp. There are fires burning all around, shattered tents and dead bodies everywhere.

Roger and John approach Edward, they are all bloody from head to toe, they have killed so many people. Edward knows he has suffered defeat from the Scots yet again.

CLOSE ON the burning fires around the English camp.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / PHILIPPA'S CHAMBERS - MORNING

Philippa is sitting on the window sill, looking out of the window. Philippa then hears the sound of the bells, indicating that the King and his army have returned to England.

Philippa runs out of her bedroom.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THE GREAT HALL

There is an overwhelming amount of people inside the great hall. Philippa is making her way through the herds of people inside trying to find Edward. She worries that he may be gone.

Edward slowly comes into view from Philippa's eyes, she stops as he looks at her. Philippa notices a few marks and bruises on Edwrad's face.

Edward walks over to Philippa.

EDWARD III
Philippa.

PHILIPPA
What happened out there?

A beat.

EDWARD III
We could not pursue the Scots any further after they attacked our camp.

Philippa pauses. Roger then comes up to Edward.

ROGER
(To Edward)
Your grace. We must speak now.

Edward goes off with Roger, leaving Philippa alone.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / MEETING HALL

Roger and Edward are sitting at the table in the meeting hall alone. There is no one else around but them.

EDWARD III
Scotland has already made their way back to their homeland. They killed all of our men at Stanhope which is exactly how they got to our camp.

ROGER
I understand.

EDWARD III
We must go about this in a different way...

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY / OUTSIDE OF MEETING HALL

Philippa sneaks up to the door of the meeting hall and listens in on what Edward and Roger are saying to each other.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / MEETING HALL

Edward stands up from the chair.

EDWARD III
We have brought shame to the English people for what we have done with Scotland. I will not let my people and my country be held for shame among other nations.

ROGER
I am telling you to take into account what Scotland has done to England before making any more decisions on how to further pursue them.

Edward sighs.

EDWARD III
Scotland has us outnumbered. We cannot risk losing anymore men right now. I want to wait a while before pursuing them again. When my men are stronger, we fight.

ROGER
There is no other choice but to go for a peace treaty, your grace. We do not have enough resources nor the money to take this any further.

EDWARD III
A peace treaty? In order to recognize Scotland as a free nation? That is exactly what they will ask of us, I will not do it.

ROGER
Your grace, it is the only option.

EDWARD III
No! I will not surrender to Scotland.

ROGER
Do you want more of your men to die? Do you want to drain all of your money as well?

EDWARD III
I want to fight. Perhaps the reason we are in this position in the first place is because of your influence on my crown.

Edward starts out of the meeting hall. Roger stands up.

ROGER
Your Grace!

Edward stops and turns toward Roger.

ROGER (Cont'd)
A peace treaty now will benefit an invasion later.

Edward takes those words into consideration.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / EDWARD'S CHAMBERS - NIGHT

Someone (Philippa) knocks on the door, Edward goes to the door and opens it. Edward sees the heated look on Philippa's face. Edward widens the door, Philippa walks in giving him a cold stare. Edward closes the door behind her.

EDWARD III
I have decided to ensure a peace treaty between England and Scotland.

Philippa looks at Edward.

PHILIPPA
Did Sir Roger order you to do so?

Edward sighs.

EDWARD III
Philippa, I am sorry.

PHILIPPA
Yes?

EDWARD III
That is all you are going to say to me?

PHILIPPA
(Beat)
I warned you of him.

EDWARD III
(Angrily)
Do not say that to me, Philippa.

PHILIPPA
What do you expect me to say, Edward? That I trust Roger's impact on you? That I believe he is doing what is best for this country? Or how about when he threatened me in my own chambers? Am I supposed to be content with that? Or be content that the citizens of England threw stones at Roger as if he was nothing but a doormat in your servants dwellings?!

EDWARD III
Alright!

PHILIPPA
Are you that blind to his manipulation of you?

EDWARD III
No!

PHILIPPA
Then why do you continue to fall into his traps? You lost, Edward! There is shame among the people of England now for what has been done! All at the hands of Sir Roger! And now he is influencing you to make a peace treaty with Scotland! How could you approve of that after what Scotland has done to England?
(Pushes Edward)
How could you?

Edward turns away from Philippa.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
Edward?

EDWARD III
(Turning toward Philippa)
I told you, it is indisputable with Roger!

Philippa scoffs.

PHILIPPA
You are becoming just like your father.

EDWARD III
How dare you say that to me?

PHILIPPA
Your father stepped aside when Isabella met Roger and you saw where it got him. Deposed. Now you are letting Roger Mortimer walk all over you with the help of your mother!

EDWARD III
Everything that I do has reasoning behind it!

PHILIPPA
Then what is your reasoning behind this?

Edward pauses.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
What is it?! Why have you allowed this to happen?!

EDWARD III
(Shouting loudly)
Because I wanted to prove myself! All I wanted was to prove myself!

There is a long pause. Philippa takes in Edward's distress.

PHILIPPA
You will never prove yourself if you cannot even find yourself. Sir Roger may just be your regent, but he has always had the intention of controlling you along with Isabella. As much as I have seen you have never acted as King. It has always been Sir Roger.

EDWARD III
I have to sign this treaty, not because Sir Roger commanded me, but because too much has happened for me to come back, but I do not want Sir Roger acting as if he were King.

PHILIPPA
Then believe in yourself, Edward! Stop letting him dictate to you! You have been crowned, you are the true King!

Edward stops, he gets lost in Philippa's eyes. Their tension is palpable. Edward then kisses her passionately in front of the burning fire. He pulls her in closer, hugging her slightly.

EDWARD III
(Whispers)
I'm sorry.

Edward continues the lustrous kiss. Philippa has fallen deep into the passion, she wants to stop, but she can't, her heart doesn't allow it.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
(Whispers)
Forgive me.

Edward kisses Philippa again, her mind is spiraling all over the place. Philippa then releases herself from the kiss. She looks at Edward, feeling vulnerable. The love and hate between them is seen through both their eyes and bodies. Philippa wants more but doesn't act on it, instead she turns and walks out of his chambers. Edward is left with nothing.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / PHILIPPA'S CHAMBERS

Philippa is sitting at her desk, thinking to herself, her hand covering half her face.

A guard walks by and sees Philippa through her opened door. Philippa looks at him, the guard then stops in his tracks.

GUARD #1
(Walking into Philippa's chambers)
Milady?

Philippa stands up.

GUARD #1 (Cont'd)
Is everything alright?

PHILIPPA
I need to ask something of you.

GUARD #1
Of course, milady.

PHILIPPA
Would you please find out if his majesty the King's father is doing well?

GUARD #1
Milady?

PHILIPPA
The King's father. I was told he was safe at Berkeley Castle. I would like you to send someone to see if he is doing well. For Edward, he needs it.

GUARD #1
Your grace, his majesty the King's father was at Berkeley Castle, but he no longer lives.

PHILIPPA
Where does he reside then?

GUARD #1
No, he is dead, milady.

Philippa stops with a shocked expression on her face.

GUARD #1 (Cont'd)
He died on orders from Sir Roger and the new regime.

Philippa can't even move.

GUARD #1 (Cont'd)
Milady, I assumed you knew.

PHILIPPA
Leave my chambers.

The guard bows and leaves Philippa's room. Philippa then falls to the ground crying, her insides are fully destroyed.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / HALLWAY - THE NEXT MORNING

Isabella is walking down the hallway, she passes Philippa's chambers.

Philippa walks out of her chambers, she looks to her right and notices Isabella going into her chambers. Philippa starts speed walking down the hall toward Isabella's chambers, as she reaches the door, she puts her ear close and listens. Nothing can be heard.

Philippa opens the door slowly and quietly, she peeks through the small crack she has made. Philippa sees Roger start caressing Isabella's hair, then Isabella kisses Roger intensely. Philippa's mouth widens a little, completely disturbed, she then closes the door and backs away, knowing she has seen too much. Philippa then starts sprinting down the hallway.

CUT TO:
EXT. WOODS / BEHIND THE CASTLE

Edward is practicing his archery, shooting arrows at a tree nearby. A few of his guards surround him for protection.

Philippa walks up to Edward as a slight breeze makes her dress and hair flow beautifully in the wind.

PHILIPPA
You think you are better than Lord Geoffrey now?

Edward turns around to see Philippa walking toward him.

EDWARD III
Philippa, I am in no mood...

PHILIPPA
(Cutting him off)
I did not come here to argue with you. I wanted to see you.

Edward walks toward Philippa, he then rubs her arms and kisses her on the forehead.

EDWARD III
I wanted to see you too. I could not stop thinking of you.

Philippa looks up at Edward.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
I was almost going to come to your chambers in the midsts of the night.

PHILIPPA
You know I would not have let you in.

Edward chuckles.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
Edward, there is something I have to tell you...

EDWARD III
(Cutting her off)
I want to marry you straight away.

PHILIPPA
Edward...

EDWARD III
Why are we waiting?

PHILIPPA
It is not our decision to make.

Edward puts his forehead against Philippa's.

EDWARD III
(Whispers)
Philippa, I have wanted you since the day I kissed you at the banquet. I even wanted you when we met again in France. I want to be your husband.

Philippa breathes slightly.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
I am ready to serve you, and only you. This country loves you for everything that you are. And I love you more than I could ever love anyone else.

Philippa smirks.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
(Whispers)
I know you want me too. You want to marry me.

Edward kisses Philippa's nose.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
(Whispers)
Please be my wife. Please.

Philippa takes a deep breath.

PHILIPPA
Alright.

CUT TO:

INT. YORK MINSTER - 1328

Philippa enters York Minster and starts walking down the aisle for her coronation and marriage to Edward III. Everyone has their eyes on the bride.

Edward stands with his hands crossed, waiting for his new bride to approach him.

Philippa stops at the end of the aisle, she looks at her sister Joanna near the front. Joanna smiles at her. Philippa quickly glares at Isabella from the corner of her eye, Isabella looks at Philippa confused.

Philippa walks up the small steps, she takes a deep breath before reaching Edward.

Edward and Philippa kneel down in front of the Bishop Lewis de Beaumont. Pope John XXII splashes holy water on Edward and Philippa. Lewis de Beaumont then brings up the marriage contracts, he places it first in front of Edward, he signs it with the quill. Lewis De Beaumont then brings it to Philippa and she signs it with the quill.

Philippa places her hand on top of Edward's. Pope John places the cloth on top of their connecting hands. Pope John blesses the cloth, then takes it off their hands.
Philippa feels a bit overwhelmed, Edward side eyes her, he hopes she is okay.

Lewis de Beaumont brings up the Queen's crown, he then places the crown on Philippa's head as she is now QUEEN PHILIPPA OF ENGLAND. Edward takes her hand and helps her stand up.

Edward and Philippa, now man and wife turn towards the audience, they applaud. Edward and Philippa smile at the guests as they cheer for them, they then start down the aisle to leave York Minster.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THE GREAT HALL

Banners drop as the new marriage of Edward III and Philippa of Hainault has come together. Guests gather around to see them as they walk into the room, they clap and cheer for their new King and Queen of England.

Edward and Philippa walk to the center of the great hall, they then begin their first dance together as a married couple. The musicians play the music gracefully as Edward and Philippa start to sway across the dance floor.

Edward and Philippa never lose eye contact even after every spin or hop to the music, they keep close to each other as if their hearts are connected like magnets.

The instrumental music ends right as Edward bows and Philippa curtsies.

A relative of Edward III, HENRY OF LANCASTER steps out in front of Edward and Philippa.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Ladies and gentlemen, your King and Queen of England!

The people applaud Edward and Philippa after their first dance. Edward takes Philippa's hand and leads her over to Henry. As Edward reaches Henry, he hugs him, very excited to see him again.

EDWARD III
It is good to see you.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
And you, your grace.

Philippa can't take her eyes off of Isabella and Roger in the great hall. Edward brings up Philippa to greet Henry.

EDWARD III
You know my wife?

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Yes, of course. Queen Philippa.

Henry takes Philippa's hand and bows to her. He then kisses her hand softly.

HENRY OF LANCASTER (Cont'd)
I heard she was a great beauty.

Philippa smiles.

HENRY OF LANCASTER (Cont'd)
He is a blessed man, my cousin.

Henry winks at Philippa.

PHILIPPA
Thank you for attending our ceremony.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Of course, your grace. I give all my best wishes.

Edward takes Henry away and starts to show him around, leaving Philippa alone. Philippa sets her eyes on Isabella and Roger across the great hall.

Joanna comes up to Philippa in hopes to greet her.

JOANNA
Sister.

Joanna curtsies to Philippa. Philippa, however, completely ignores Joanna, and marches over to Isabella and Roger.

ROGER
(Seeing Philippa approaching)
Your grace.

PHILIPPA
May I speak to my lady mother alone, please?

ROGER
Of course, your grace.

Roger leaves Philippa and Isabella alone.

ISABELLA
You look disturbed, young daughter.

PHILIPPA
Indeed. Disturbed by you and Roger Mortimer.

ISABELLA
Must we go through this again, your grace?

Philippa takes the wine from Isabella and sets it on the table beside her.

PHILIPPA
Do not act innocent, I saw you.

ISABELLA
Saw me?

PHILIPPA
Kissing in your chambers. Caressing... It disgusts every part of me.

ISABELLA
Your grace...

PHILIPPA
(Cutting her off)
It causes me to wonder how Edward's father died so suddenly.

Isabella looks at Philippa, puzzled at how she could know that information.

ISABELLA
What are you talking about?

PHILIPPA
Did you really think I would not find out? What kind of woman are you?

ISABELLA
Do you know who you are speaking to?

PHILIPPA
I don't think you know who you are speaking to, lady mother.

ISABELLA
As I have said before, I do not know what you speak of.

PHILIPPA
(Highly emotional)
You know exactly what I speak of, you slaughtered him in cold blood, and you let your son think he has been safe this entire time.

ISABELLA
I must go.

Philippa stops Isabella by pushing her back.

PHILIPPA
You forget I do not bow down to you anymore, as of now you are no longer my lady mother. So while you rot in the dungeon awaiting your fate, you will bow down to only me and my husband. You lied to Edward, your son, and you are going to burn in hell when you die.

Eleanor comes up to Philippa.

ELEANOR
It is time, Philippa.

Philippa steps away from Isabella. She looks at Eleanor, then starts away. Isabella is left undeniably frightened after Philippa's threatening response to her.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / EDWARD'S CHAMBERS - NIGHT

The chambers are lit by candles, and the fire is burning. Edward leads Philippa to the bed, he then places her in front of him and wraps his arms around her waist.

EDWARD III
Fear not, my love.

Edward kisses Philippa softly.

PHILIPPA
(Low)
You just have to go slow.

Edward looks Philippa in the eye. He smiles.

EDWARD III
(Low)
Whatever it may be for you, my Queen.

Edward kisses Philippa, she closes her eyes while feeling the soft touch of Edward's skin on hers.

Edward lays Philippa down on the bed, continuing to kiss her softly, they then lock hands.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. POND / WOODS - MORNING - THREE WEEKS LATER

Philippa is staring at her reflection in the pond. She's fiddling a rock in between her fingers, she looks up. Philippa throws the rock into the water, and watches it splash. Philippa thinks of the splash as an explosion going off inside her mind. An explosion of everything happening in her life taking a turn for the worst.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THRONE ROOM

Edward is sitting on his throne, looking down at the guard who has approached him. Philippa is standing against the wall, away from Edward, the guard, Henry, and John as they speak.

EDWARD III
(To Guard #1)
What?

GUARD #1
Forgive me, your grace, I assumed you already knew, but the Queen had no recollection, so she summoned me to tell you.

EDWARD III
I want to hear every word from your mouth!

Guard #1 tenses up, afraid of Edward.

GUARD #1
Lady Isabella and Sir Roger had your father killed in the dungeons.

Edward stops. Henry of Lancaster looks at Edward's expression, he sees the anger building up inside him quite fast.

GUARD #1 (Cont'd)
Forgive me, your grace.

EDWARD III
And how do you know this for certain?

GUARD #1
I was there when it happened, your grace. I assumed you knew all about it.

Edward looks at Philippa, wanting an answer. Philippa reluctantly steps forward.

PHILIPPA
I wanted to tell you...

EDWARD III
When did you find out?

PHILIPPA
A few days before the wedding. I wanted to tell you, Edward, but you asked me to marry you, and I...

EDWARD III
(Angrily)
It has been three weeks since the wedding!

PHILIPPA
I did not know the right words to say... I was frightened...

EDWARD III
(Cutting her off)
Stop.

Edward stops for a moment to think.

EDWARD III
(To John and Henry)
Follow me.

Edward starts out of the throne room. Philippa looks at Henry and John, then follows Edward out of the throne room. Henry, John and Guard #1 follow behind Edward and Philippa.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / ISABELLA'S CHAMBERS

Edward bursts through the door, causing Isabella to jump. Philippa comes in after Edward as well as Guard #1, Henry and John.

ISABELLA
(Surprised)
Edward.

Edward steps toward Isabella.

EDWARD III
Did you kill my father?

Isabella looks at Philippa.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Do not look at her, look at me!

ISABELLA
Edward...

EDWARD III
Do not even think of lying to me, mother!

ISABELLA
It had to be done.

EDWARD III
It was not enough just to depose him, you had to murder him? I trusted you, mother.

ISABELLA
To get you on the throne, Edward. England could not take anymore of your father.

EDWARD III
You betrayed me, mother.

ISABELLA
Edward, It had to be done.

Isabella tries to touch Edward's arm, but he jerks it away.

EDWARD III
You are no longer in service to me.
(To Guard #1)
Take her away.

ISABELLA
No!

Henry, Guard #1, and John grabs Isabella and arrests her.

ISABELLA
No! No! Edward you need me, do not do this to your own mother!

Henry, Guard #1 and John moves Isabella out of the chambers.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
You are nothing without me!

Isabella stops herself in front of Philippa.

ISABELLA (Cont'd)
You witch. When this country falls it will be on you. On you!

Henry, John, Guard #1 shove Isabella completely out of the chambers.

Edward sits on the bed and puts his head down in disappointment. Philippa goes to Edward and kneels down in front of him, she puts her hands on his arms.

PHILIPPA
It will be alright.

Edward doesn't say anything.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
Talk to me, Edward.

EDWARD III
How could I have been so stupid?

Edward stands up.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
I want to kill him. I am going to rip his heart right out of his body.

Philippa stands up and goes to Edward.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
He is going to die at the hands of me.

Philippa grows increasingly worried for what's to come.

CUT TO:

INT. NOTTINGHAM CASTLE - NIGHT

King Edward III's soldiers march into Nottingham castle, a few are holding torches for light. They march down the hallway, then turn the corner.

CUT TO:

INT. NOTTINGHAM CASTLE / SMALL ROOM - NIGHT

Roger Mortimer is writing on a scroll, a letter that involves important issues with France and Scotland. King Edward's soldiers all of a sudden burst through the doors. Roger jumps and looks at the soldiers, confused about what is going on.

SOLDIER #1
Roger Mortimer, you are under arrest by orders of His Majesty the King.

ROGER
What?

Two soldiers pull Roger to his feet, causing the important scroll to fall off the table.

ROGER (Cont'd)
I have not done anything, unhand me!

Another soldier punches Roger in the stomach, he falls to his knees and gasps for air. The two soldiers pick him up and drag him out of the room.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THRONE ROOM

Two soldiers force Roger Mortimer into the throne room where Edward is waiting for him.

ROGER
Your grace, tell them to unhand me!

All of the commotion causes Philippa to come into the meeting hall, she stands behind Edward, looking at Roger under siege by the soldiers.

EDWARD III
You had me fooled for so long.

ROGER
What are you talking about, your grace?

Little beat.

EDWARD III
Did you order my father to be killed?

ROGER
Your grace...

EDWARD III
(Fierce)
Did you kill my father?!

John, Joanna, Eleanor and Henry come into the throne room, after hearing Edward's grunt-like voice.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Truthfully tell me you did not kill him.

Philippa goes to Edward and holds his arm.

PHILIPPA
(Whispers)
Edward, I know what you are thinking, do not do it.

ROGER
I did not kill him, your grace.

PHILIPPA
(Whispers)
Edward, please.

ROGER
(Firm)
I did not kill him.

Edward pushes Philippa back.

EDWARD III
LIAR!

PHILIPPA
NO!

Edward grabs Roger by the neck, taking him out of the grip that the two soldiers have on him. Edward shoves Roger against the wall, he then pulls him up forcefully.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
YOU LIED TO ME!

Edward punches Roger repeatedly. Edward then shoves Roger toward the door, he falls on his back. Roger then gets up, almost losing his balance. Edward moves quickly to Roger, he grabs his neck and shoves him through the door, going outside.

EXT. OUTSIDE OF CASTLE - RAINING - CONTINUOUS

Edward trips and falls on top of Roger, he starts punching him again, Roger is quickly losing consciousness.

John, Henry and the guards run over to Edward, they try to pull him off of Roger.

Philippa runs out of the castle into the pouring rain. Eleanor and Joanna follow behind her.

PHILIPPA
EDWARD, STOP!

One of the guards holds Philippa back as she tries to run to Edward.

John finally pulls Edward off of Roger, but Edward quickly pushes John off of him, and goes back to Roger on the ground, continuing to punch him in the face harder and harder.

Henry tries to pull Edward off of Roger, but he pushes him away too. The yelling from John, Henry, and the soldiers overpowers the screams of Philippa, pleading for Edward to stop.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
EDWARD STOP, HE'S DYING!

The blood from Roger spills solely onto the ground. The rain washes it onto the small rocks under Roger. Philippa tries to push herself free from the guard holding onto her.

Henry and John finally pull Edward off of Roger, and restrain him. Roger is laying on the ground with his face completely bloody and he is barely able to move a pinky.

Two other soldiers grab Roger and drag him away from Edward.
Edward collapses. He doesn't move or speak a word, everyone watches him completely still on his knees. John and Henry step back from Edward. The guard holding Philippa finally lets her go. The only noise is that of the rain falling onto the ground. The rain is soaking everyone's body.

CLOSE ON Edward as he looks to the sky, rain falls onto his face, cleaning him of the blood of Roger Mortimer. His many emotions build into tears, and he breaks down crying in front of everyone.

CUT TO:

INT. CASTLE / CHAPEL

Edward is praying inside the chapel, still wet from the rain. Philippa walks into the chapel, also wet from the rain. Edward finishes praying, he stands up, turns around and sees Philippa.

PHILIPPA
Edward.

Edward goes to Philippa.

EDWARD III
Oh, my love.

Edward leans in to kiss Philippa, but she moves him back.

PHILIPPA
No, wait.

Philippa takes Edward's hand and places it on her stomach. Edward looks at her stomach confused, then at Philippa confused. He then realizes she may be carrying a child.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
A child?

Philippa smiles and nods. Edward smiles brightly, he then kisses Philippa. Edward then rests his head on Philippa's shoulder, he hugs her tightly.

Henry walks into the chapel, holding the exact scroll that Roger Mortimer had been writing before he was arrested.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Your grace.

Edward and Philippa look up at Henry, who is coming toward him.

HENRY OF LANCASTER (Cont'd)
You need to see this.

Henry hands Edward the scroll. Edward reads it through.

EDWARD III
Where did you get this?

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Sir Roger must have been writing it before he was arrested.

EDWARD III
King Robert is dead?

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Yes, your grace.

EDWARD III
And David, King of Scotland?

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Yes, your grace.

EDWARD III
This cannot be so, the French cannot have seized our land.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
I am afraid the word is true, your grace.

Edward crumples up the paper and chucks it across the room in anger.

EDWARD III
Damn it!

PHILIPPA
What is going on?

HENRY OF LANCASTER
France has forged an alliance with Scotland and they have already seized part of English land in Gascony.

Philippa looks at Edward, he says nothing.

PHILIPPA
(Shocked)
France?

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Sir Roger was assumed to have been responding to the letter from the army before he was arrested.

PHILIPPA
No, we cannot go to war with France. I am of French blood married to an English King. My Marriage alone would be considered an alliance.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Milady...

PHILIPPA
This is irrational, Henry. All of it.

EDWARD III
(To Philippa)
We will start considering options. Right now you need to take care of our child. I do not want you anywhere near this talk of war. It will put a strain on you.

PHILIPPA
Edward, I can handle it.

Edward takes Philippa's hand.

EDWARD III
No. I do not even know all of what we are dealing with. Until I know every last detail, I do not want you anywhere near the troubles. I do not want you to worry... Promise me.

A beat.

PHILIPPA
I promise.

Edward kisses Philippa's hand and then starts out of the chapel.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / MEETING HALL

Edward, Henry and John surround the lone table in the meeting hall.

EDWARD III
How big of an army do you estimate the french have at the moment?

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Massive, your grace.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
(To Edward)
What do you remember from being in France?

Edward thinks for a moment.

EDWARD III
Close to nothing. I was there for Philippa only.

Edward shakes his head in anger.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
(Angered)
I paid homage to Philip to keep the peace between our two countries. I took a wife from that country.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
What about Gascony?

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Your grace, it seems the people of England are beginning to fear a french invasion.

Edward looks at Henry, he then puts his hands on his forehead in frustration.

EDWARD III
I shall be the rightful King of France.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
What?

EDWARD III
King Charles had no heir to the throne.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
France will declare war.

EDWARD III
By and by, John. My men are already prepared to fight. I will declare myself the rightful King of France and show no mercy. Philippa has a brother. His name is William and I shall call upon him for aid. Believe me when I say France will live to regret the day they stepped foot onto English territory.

Henry stands up.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
I will follow you, your grace.

John stands up.

JOHN
And I.

Edward nods.

DISSOLVE TO:

FADE IN:

EXT. WINTER, 1330

PRINCE EDWARD, son of Edward III and Philippa of Hainault is now five months old. Isabella has been granted an "ample" from death, and banished from the English court on orders from King Edward. Roger Mortimer is currently awaiting his fate.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THRONE ROOM

Philippa and Edward are sitting on their thrones. Philippa is holding baby Prince Edward in her arms while King Edward is playing with his tiny feet.

The English Court members try to catch a glimpse of the little Prince Edward in Philippa's arms.

All of a sudden, the doors to the throne room open. Two guards lead Roger Mortimer into the throne room. He is dirty, starved, and can barely walk.

Joanna comes to Philippa and takes Prince Edward from her.

Waiting for Roger's arrival to them, Philippa purses her lips a little in anger, her death glare is witnessed by everyone in the room.

The guards throw Roger onto the ground, he struggles to stand up on his own.

ROGER
(Weak)
Your grace.

EDWARD III
Get up ,scum!

Roger tries to lift himself up, but falls back down in the process.

EDWARD III
(To guards)
Get him up.

The two guards help Roger stand up.

ROGER
Your grace, I beg of thee, please forgive all that I have done.

EDWARD III
I have enjoyed watching you suffer for the last nine months. Why would I want to put an end to that?
(Stands)
You threatened my wife with death, and you have assumed my crown since the day you murdered my father in cold blood. I see no reason for my mercy on you.

Roger falls to his knees, sobbing.

ROGER
(To Philippa)
My Queen you are beloved by the people for your kindness and compassion, I beg of thee to show me some here.

Philippa glares intently at Roger on his knees before her.

PHILIPPA
It is quite assuming you only ask that of me because you are in a predicament...

ROGER
Your grace, no...

PHILIPPA
Do not speak over me! God knows everything you have done, and I have no mercy for you.

Roger breaks down.

EDWARD III
Therefore you shall be sentenced to death by hanging!

Roger looks at King Edward, trying to accept his fate. He then sees the merciless glare of Philippa, there is nothing more he can do to save himself from death.

CUT TO:

EXT. TYBURN, ENGLAND

Roger Mortimer, assisted by the King's guards, is making his way to the ropes for his execution.

Edward and Philippa watch him closely as they are sitting on their thrones.

Roger forcefully walks up the steps and is stopped in front of the rope. Pope John steps forward.

POPE JOHN
Roger Mortimer, you have been charged with assuming royal authority, treason, and the murder of King Edward II. Do you have any last words?

The executioner puts the rope around Roger's neck.

ROGER
God save the King!

The executioner pushes Roger off the steps and he suffocates.

Philippa looks away, unable to witness the heinous death of Roger Mortimer.
CUT TO:

EXT. STREETS OF ENGLAND

King Edward III and Queen Philippa are riding on their horses side by side down the streets of England. The citizens of England cheer and clap their hands loudly for their King and Queen.

Philippa looks at Edward as he smiles at the people, Edward then looks at Philippa and smiles at her. One child comes running up beside Philippa's horse, she hands her a rose, Philippa smiles, she reaches down and takes the rose from the young child.

PHILIPPA
Thank you.

Philippa kisses the rose.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / THRONE ROOM

The throne room is filled with a handful of members of the English court, they are all chatting with one another, very concerned about what is to come with France.

Philippa, Eleanor and Joanna are secluded from other members of the English court.

ELEANOR
How is Edward handling France?

PHILIPPA
He is on the edge about all of it.

Philippa looks at Edward while he is speaking to John.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
It is too late for peace now.

Philippa thinks to herself for a moment.

ELEANOR
What is it?

PHILIPPA
I was the alliance to England and France. I was the key when I married Edward. Now we are nothing but bitter enemies. My homeland.

JOANNA
We never know what God may plan for us.

CLOSE UP on Philippa's worried expression.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / MEETING HALL

Henry of Lancaster walks into the meeting hall where he sees Edward looking at a map of the land that the French have seized in England.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
Your grace...

Henry starts speaking to Edward, but Edward is fazed out in his mind.

HENRY OF LANCASTER (Cont'd)
You have the army that would stretch as far as the seas, France would be outnumbered two to one...Your Grace!

Edward turns to Henry.

HENRY OF LANCASTER (Cont'd)
King Philip wants liege homage from you.

EDWARD III
Has he lost his mind, that man?

HENRY OF LANCASTER
The land you wish to have in France will not be restored if you refuse.

EDWARD III
I already granted him once, I will not do it again. I am the rightful King, if anyone should get liege homage it should be me!

Edward stomps out of the meeting hall.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / EDWARD'S CHAMBERS - NIGHT

Philippa is stroking young Prince Edward's stomach as he sleeps in his bassinet placed near the window.

EDWARD III
He has your eyes, you know?

Philippa turns around and smiles, her smile soon fades as she sees that Edward has a sorrowful look on his face. Philippa then goes to him.

PHILIPPA
What is it?

EDWARD III
King Philip now wants liege homage from me.

PHILIPPA
He has no right to demand that of you.

EDWARD III
I am not giving it to him.

Philippa sighs.

PHILIPPA
This keeps going back and forth, Edward.

Edward walks to the window, Philippa follows.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
How much longer until you are actually gone?

EDWARD III
Philippa, I am trying to do everything I can.

PHILIPPA
I know you are. But all of this uncertainty worries me for what is to come.

EDWARD III
Do not fear losing me.

Edward hugs Philippa, he strokes the back of her hair.

PHILIPPA
I will always fear losing you.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

EXT. FEBRUARY, 1340 - NINE YEARS LATER

Edward and Philippa now have four children. Prince Edward age nine, Lionel, age one, Joan, age six, and Isabella, age seven. While Philippa is with child again, war with France is on the hinges, anything more could result in an attack in a matter of days.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / ENTRANCE HALL

Joanna walks into the entrance hall of the castle with Princess Joan and Countess Isabella.

PRINCESS JOAN
Where are we going?

JOANNA
To see your uncle William.

WILLIAM II, COUNT OF HAINAULT, brother to Philippa and Joanna enters the castle.

JOAN & ISABELLA
Uncle William!

Joan and Isabella run to William and jump into his arms.

WILLIAM II
Oh, my favorite girls.

ISABELLA
Guess what uncle, I beat Joan in a race yesterday.

WILLIAM II
Did you, now?

JOAN
Only because she pushed me.

ISABELLA
I did not.

WILLIAM II
Girls, girls, where is your brother?

JOAN
He is with mother somewhere.

JOANNA
Hello, brother.

Joanna hugs William.

WILLIAM II
Hello, sister.

Edward III and Philippa come into the entrance hall with nine year old Prince Edward.

PRINCE EDWARD
Uncle William!

Prince Edward runs into William's arms. Philippa smiles at their greeting.

WILLIAM II
My favorite boy in the entire world, look at how much you have grown.

PRINCE EDWARD
Father says I am almost ready for a sword.

WILLIAM II
I hope so, because I was your age when I first held a sword. It changed my entire life.

PHILIPPA
William.

William looks at Philippa.

WILLIAM II
(To Prince Edward)
Why don't you go with your aunt Joanna.

William pokes Edward in the belly, he then goes to Joanna and she leads all of the children out of the entrance hall.

William goes to Edward III and Philippa.

WILLIAM II
Your highnesses.

William bows to Edward and Philippa.

WILLIAM II (Cont'd)
Dear sister.

PHILIPPA
Brother.

William hugs Philippa.

WILLIAM II
Let me see.

William feels Philippa's stomach.

WILLIAM II (Cont'd)
It is getting near then?

PHILIPPA
Yes.

WILLIAM II
And you have another son I hear?

PHILIPPA
Yes, his name is Lionel, he is one years old now.

WILLIAM II
I am delighted to see you so happy, sister.

Philippa smiles.

PHILIPPA
Thank you.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / MEETING HALL

William II, John of Eltham, Henry of Lancaster, and Edward III are all sitting at a table big enough for the four of them.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
France is not going to back down from the crown, because Edward has legitimized himself as the rightful King. And they are not going to go down without a fight.

Edward thinks to himself.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Are you saying we should just storm French grounds by surprise? they will know we are coming.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
That is not what I am saying.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Then what are you saying, because if you have not noticed we are running out of time here.

WILLIAM II
France is expecting us to fight, we have our army posted all around England, they know Edward will fight for the crown, we march to them, we do not wait for them to come to us.

EDWARD III
They are planning a naval invasion.

Everyone looks at Edward.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
We have to stop them by sea.

WILLIAM II
The sea? Are you aware of where they would be?

EDWARD III
Sluys. That is where they maneuvered to bar the port after they spotted us sailing up the Zwin to Bruges.

HENRY OF LANCASTER
The Sluys harbor would put England in a great position if we were to seize it, your grace.

WILLIAM II
Your Grace, we do not know what the waters would be like.

EDWARD III
Is that not a chance we would be willing to take, William?

WILLIAM II
It is far more risky, your grace. You brought me here to give you an insight and I am telling you it is not smart.

EDWARD III
Any option involves risk, William. This could work better with our naval army. This position would give us more of an advantage against France.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
The French are allied with the Castilian and the Genoese, your grace.

Edward pauses.

WILLIAM II
Your grace?

EDWARD III
We will start gathering fleets. We will take them at Sluys.

WILLIAM II
Your grace!

EDWARD III
William... I need you to trust me on this.

Edward gets up and leaves the meeting hall.

CUT TO:

INT. ENGLISH COURT / LIONEL'S CHAMBERS

Philippa is holding Lionel as she walks with him around the room. William II opens the door and enters.

WILLIAM II
Edward said I could find you here.

Philippa kisses Lionel on the forehead, she then sets him back in his bassinet. Philippa rocks the bassinet back and forth as William comes to her side.

PHILIPPA
He sleeps so peacefully.

William walks away. Philippa turns to William.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
What is it, brother?

William doesn't respond.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
William?

WILLIAM II
We are preparing to leave for Sluys.

PHILIPPA
You are?

WILLIAM II
Edward is already forming his army as we speak.

PHILIPPA
Why do you not seem certain?

WILLIAM II
No one is ever certain.

PHILIPPA
William?

WILLIAM II
Your husband shows no mercy. While I admire that about him, it seems quite reckless.

PHILIPPA
Are you questioning Edward's judgments?

WILLIAM II
Philippa...this is an entirely different war than what you saw with Scotland.

PHILIPPA
I know. The difference is Edward is leading the army. He is going to fight and he will not stop fighting until he has won.

WILLIAM II
You know I will always protect him, sister.

Philippa nods.

PHILIPPA
I know you will. France used to be our home, William. Do you remember?

WILLIAM II
Of course I remember. It has been years since then. We have grown up.

PHILIPPA
I felt like I was on the brink of destroying one of the most important things in my life, but life is not always how you feel it should be.

William pauses.

PHILIPPA (Cont'd)
I understand your worries, believe me, but you must trust Edward, brother. He went through hell with Sir Roger and Scotland, and all he wants is for England to succeed. And he needs you at his side to help guide him. Please, trust him.

WILLIAM II
I trust him. I now understand why he appointed you as regent for when he is absent. You are strong for him.

Philippa smiles.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

EXT. JUNE, 1340

Philippa has given birth to her fifth child John of Gaunt. Edward III and his men are preparing to leave for war on the high seas.

CUT TO:

EXT. HARBOR / ENGLAND

Herds of men are pulling the ships into the water. Other groups of men are loading the ships with weapons, and gear. The ships are large enough for twenty five men to be in. One man raises the English flag to the top of the largest ship captained by Edward III.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILLS / NEAR HARBOR

Philippa looks over at John, who is standing alone on the edge of the hill. Philippa walks over to John.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
(Seeing Philippa)
Your grace.

PHILIPPA
Will you watch over him?

JOHN OF ELTHAM
I will, milady.

PHILIPPA
I want you to know I respect you. I want you to return safely.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
Will do, your grace.

Philippa smirks.

PHILIPPA
You do not have to call me your grace.

JOHN OF ELTHAM
You are the Queen and my brother's wife. You have helped make him into the man he has always wanted to be. No one has ever been there for him in the way that you have. He loves you dearly, which is why it is my duty to treat you with the utmost respect. As my Queen.

Philippa smiles at John, she then strokes his arm. Philippa goes back to Edward and little Prince Edward.

Edward puts his arm around Philippa, and pulls her close to him. Philippa has her arm around Edward's and is resting her head on his shoulder, feeling uneasy. Philippa has her other arm around Prince Edward's shoulder.

Edward III then kneels down and puts his hands on Prince Edward's stomach.

EDWARD III
Are you my best King?

Prince Edward nods.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
And my best fighter?

Prince Edward nods, then wipes a tear away.

EDWARD III (Cont'd)
Now there, no tears.

Edward III hugs Prince Edward. Philippa smiles. Edward releases Prince Edward and stands up. Philippa takes Prince Edward and moves closer to his ear.

PHILIPPA
(Whispers)
Your guard is waiting for you. You go on and I will be right there.

Prince Edward runs over to the guard that is waiting for him. Philippa looks up at Edward.

EDWARD III
It was always going to be this.

PHILIPPA
It does not make it any less painful.

EDWARD III
Do not be afraid.

PHILIPPA
I wish you would stop saying those words.

Edward places his hands on Philippa's cheeks.

EDWARD III
My Queen. I will return to you.

Edward kisses Philippa passionately one last time before he departs. He then strokes the bottom of her eye, then kisses her on the forehead.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE HIGH SEAS - SUNSET

There are 210 English ships sailing across the high seas for battle against France.

Edward III is standing on the corner of the English ship CHRISTOPHER, looking out onto the horizon. William II comes up to Edward III and looks out onto the horizon with him.

WILLIAM II
It is surreal, isn't it?

EDWARD III
What?

WILLIAM II
The waters. Stretching all over the world.

Little beat.

EDWARD III
Do you think my father would have wanted this?

WILLIAM II
Your father would not be strong enough to do what you are doing. If it were up to him England would be left to blow away in the dust.

EDWARD III
I have a dreadful feeling about this.

WILLIAM II
What kind of dreadfulness?

EDWARD III
I cannot describe it. But something tells me we are entering a state of war that we are never going to get out of.

William II looks at Edward.

CUT TO:

EXT. HARBOUR OF SLUYS - MORNING

The 210 English ships sail closer to the Harbour of Sluys where the French ships are waiting for their arrival. All the men are gearing up with weapons and shields.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE FRENCH FLEET

The men in the French ships are gearing up as well with weapons and shields. The fleet is captained by HUGUES QUIERET, the French Admiral. As the English fleets sail closer the Frenchmen prepare to attack.

Hugues grabs a Frenchman in the wrong place and pushes him to the other side of the ship.

HUGUES QUIERET
Get over there!

CUT TO:

EXT. THE ENGLISH SHIP, CHRISTOPHER

Edward III is standing at the front of the ship.

EDWARD III
Everyone with an arrow, get down in the fronts of the ship!

The men with bows and arrows run to the fronts of the ships and duck underneath, ready to fire. The other men rowing the boats stop, they get up, retrieve their armor and swords and wait for Edward III's command.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE FRENCH FLEET

NICOLAS BEHUCHET, 2nd French Admiral goes to Hugues.

NICOLAS BEHUCHET
We are ready for the command.

Hugues looks at Nicolas, then at the English Fleet. There is silence in the waters. Dead silence.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE ENGLISH SHIP, CHRISTOPHER

Edward III stands atop the ship, so everyone in the French fleet can see him.

CUT TO:

HUGHES QUIERET AND NICOLAS BEHUCHET

looking at Edward III, waiting for him to make his first move.

CUT TO:

EDWARD III

Signaling for the men with bows to get ready. The men pull back their arrows and wait for the next signal.

CUT TO:

HUGUES QUIERET

Looking back at his men as they get ready with their arrows.

Hugues and Nicolas keep their eyes on the English fleet still in silence, nothing moving, nobody making a sound, except for Edward III staring at them from a distance.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE ENGLISH SHIP, CHRISTOPHER

Edward takes one last breath.

EDWARD III
FIRE!

The men release their arrows.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE FRENCH FLEET

Hugues sees the arrows coming toward his fleet.

HUGUES QUIERET
SHIELDS!

The Frenchmen cover themselves with their shields as the arrows come raining down. Some Frenchmen get struck with arrows, and die instantly. Others fall off the ships into the waters below.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE ENGLISH SHIP, CHRISTOPHER

Edward III
ADVANCE!

The Englishmen start rowing the boats, advancing toward the French fleet.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE FRENCH FLEET

NICOLAS BEHUCHET
FIRE!

The French army fires their arrows at the English fleet.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE ENGLISH FLEET

EDWARD III
SHIELDS!

The Englishmen cover their heads with their shields as the arrows rain down. Some Englishmen get struck and fall off the ships.

The Englishmen continue to advance the ships toward the French fleet. The English ships and the French ships finally cross paths.

Englishmen at the deck, on top of the boats begin firing arrows at the Frenchmen. The Frenchmen retaliate with their arrows.

An English ship of men storms a French ship, the Englishmen pull out their swords and begin fighting the Frenchmen.

One Frenchman tries to slash an Englishman's arm off, but is blocked by the shield, the Englishman punches him in the face, picks his head up, and then slits his throat.

CUT TO:

EXT. FRENCH SHIP

Edward III, William II, Henry of Lancaster and the crew of the Christopher storm another French ship and start taking out the Frenchmen with their swords.

The Frenchmen start killing off some Englishmen. Edward III fights through the French like clockwork, cutting their throats, arms, and legs off.

William II stabs a Frenchman in the stomach, he screams, then falls off the ship, bleeding out.

Henry of Lancaster is choking a man against the floor of the ship, he watches him die slowly. Henry then turns around and throws his sword at the man who was trying to stab him. The sword lands straight into his chest. Henry pulls the sword out of the now dead man.

Other men start falling into the water as the French and English continue to slaughter each other.

CUT TO:

EDWARD III

Fighting with another Frenchman, they clash swords over and over. Edward spins on him and stabs him in the back, he then pushes him off the boat.

Another Frenchman comes up behind Edward III and shoves him against the side of the boat, he turns him around and punches him in the face. Edward III falls to the ground. The Frenchman holds his sword up to stab him, but William II charges toward him and stabs him in the stomach. William II pushes him away, then helps Edward III stand up.

WILLIAM II
Watch your back next time.

Edward III and William II continue the fight.

CUT TO:

EXT. ANOTHER ENGLISH SHIP

The French are dominating the English on their own ship. John of Eltham is holding up as best he can, killing any Frenchmen that he comes in contact with.

More French ships begin surrounding this English ship. John of Eltham realizes he and his men are outnumbered. The french start storming the English ship. John and the Englishmen fight off more Frenchmen as more and more come onto the ship.

CUT TO:

EXT. FRENCH SHIP

Edward kills the last Frenchman on board the ship, he looks out around him and quickly sees the French taking over the English ship Christopher. William II and Henry of Lancaster comes up behind Edward.

EDWARD III
Is John on that ship?

CUT TO:

EXT. THE ENGLISH SHIP, CHRISTOPHER

More Frenchmen are storming the English ship, Christopher. The Englishmen outnumbered are fighting off as many Frenchmen as they can. John of Eltham notices all the other men dying by the hands of the French. All of a sudden, he gets shot in the shoulder with an arrow. John of Eltham falls to the ground.

Hugues Quieret comes up to John of Eltham as he starts bleeding out his shoulder, Hugues looks at him, he then holds his sword up to John's neck and slits his throat. John of Eltham dies instantly.

The English ship, Christopher, begins to capsize.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH SHIP

Edward III, aboard another ship helps take out more Frenchmen, while others retreat, he kills every last one of them until he is the only person that remains on the ship. Edward III then turns around and sees Hugues Quieret climbing onto the ship.

Edward and Hugues stare at each other intently.

HUGUES QUIERET
You have an impressive army, your grace.

Edward III looks at Hugues wanting to rip his throat out.

HUGUES QUIERET (Cont'd)
It is a shame you could not save your brother.

Edward charges toward Hugues and the two clash swords.

Edward hits Hugues on the head, and he falls to the ground, he turns him around and starts punching him in the face repeatedly.

Hugues kicks Edward off, picks up his sword, and tries to slash him, but Edward stops him with his shield. Hugues pushes against the shield, but Edward pushes back and is stronger, he gets Hugues off of him, and slashes his knee.

Hugues's knee falls and he holds the wound.

Nicolas Behuchet comes climbing onto the ship with his sword, he charges toward Edward III. Edward, seeing Nicolas running toward him, grabs his sword and they clash.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH SHIP #2

William and Henry of Lancaster see Edward struggling to fight on another English ship. They take off their armor quickly, they jump into the water with their swords and start swimming toward the ship.

CUT TO:
EXT. ENGLISH SHIP

Edward and Nicolas clash swords again, but Nicolas then shoves Edward and he falls to the ground. Nicolas starts kicking Edward while he is weak.

William and John climb onto the boat as Nicolas picks up his sword to stab Edward.

Edward grabs Nicolas's foot and twists it, breaking it.

NICOLAS
AHHHHHH!

Edward grabs his sword and drives it straight into Nicolas's stomach. Nicolas falls to the ground and then starts coughing up blood.

William II and Henry of Lancaster help Edward stand up. Edward then marches to Hugues as his leg is bleeding out and he cannot stand. Edward grabs Hugues's shoulder and turns him over to look him straight in the eye.

EDWARD III
My glory stands tall.

Edward takes his sword and slices Hugues's head right off. Edward looks at William and John, then throws the severed head aside.

CUT TO:

EXT. THE ENGLISH FLEET

The Englishmen kill the last of the Frenchmen on the ships. The other Frenchmen retreat back to shore, and others throw themselves into the water, trying to escape death. They try to swim back to shore, but with their armor still on, they drown in the waters.

The Englishmen begin celebrating as they have achieved victory.

CUT TO:

EXT. ENGLISH SHIP #2

Edward steps up onto the top of the ship, he holds up his sword, and hollers in victory. William II, Henry of Lancaster, and the rest of the Englishmen hold up their swords and holler in victory and triumph.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

The Battle of Sluys destroyed the French naval capability for some years and enabled King Edward III to land forces in Northern and Western France with little opposition.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. FRENCH COURT / THRONE ROOM

A court jester comes into the throne room of King Philip VI, and bows before him.

COURT JESTER
We have lost Sluys.

KING PHILIP VI
Our knights are much braver than the English. How so?

COURT JESTER
The English do not dare to jump into the sea in full armour.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

"The English Army, well disciplined and successful, stopped cavalry charges, and proved repeatedly victorious over much larger French forces."

FADE IN:

"The Battle of Sluys started The Hundred Years' War between France and England. The end of the conflict was never marked by a treaty, but died out, because the English recognized that the French troops were too strong to be directly confronted."

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

EXT. HILLS - ENGLAND

Philippa comes up the hill, holding baby Lionel in her arms. Prince Edward, Princess Joan and Countess Isabella come up the hill beside Philippa.

Edward III comes up the opposite side of the hill to see his family waiting for him.

PRINCE EDWARD
Father!

Prince Edward, Joan and Isabella run to Edward. They jump into his arms. Edward picks up little Prince Edward, hugging him tightly while Princess Joan and Countess Isabella cling onto the side of him.

Philippa comes to Edward with baby Lionel. Edward then sets little Prince Edward down, he plants a kiss on Philippa's lips. Princess Joan hugs Philippa's waist, Countess Isabella hugs Edward's waist.

Edward caresses Lionel's head with his hand.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

Edward and Philippa would be married for over forty years, producing twelve children.

FADE OUT:

THE END

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

22.9K 501 32
The young Queen of Spain was hidden away as a baby after the murder of her parents as a try to take control of her country. By chance, Castellana es...
5.7K 106 27
Princess Eleanora is a quick-witted, romance loving, independent girl. Who absolutely does not wish to marry a man she's never met, let alone someone...
326K 11.3K 54
Lady Isabella Victoria Parr isn't looking for a husband, but His Majesty is looking for a wife. When news arrives that King Edward's first wife has d...
117K 4.2K 64
Medieval England - Year 1450: Eleanor was a poor shopkeeper's daughter whose only hope for a better life for herself and her family was to marry well...