Paris

By 19RaeNegade

In times where a war between the rich and the poor commences and evil lurks in the darkness, miraculous rebel... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77

18

480 27 13
By 19RaeNegade

{+}{+}{+}

Ladybug's P.O.V

   It is early in the morning. The chilly air hits my face as I swing through the streets. The sun's rays are barely starting to peek out from the horizon and once again greet Paris with a new day. I pause for a moment, letting out a long yawn. Since day one of training, my sleep schedule has been severely tampered with.

   I am missing valuable hours of sleep to sneak out for training, whether it be an hour before dawn or hours past dusk. It is starting to really exhaust me with all the added work and little rest. Yet, I try to keep it hidden as to not show weakness. I am determined to show them that I am worthy of these jewels—that I am worthy to be a hero.

I arrive at the training room and rub the sleep away from my eyes. I thought the cold air would help wake me up as it usually does but it did not do so this time. I nearly stumble into the back door (and probably would have broken it, considering only one doable hinge is holding it up).

"Ladybug!"

I jump nearly two feet in the air and a shot of adrenaline shoots through my system, waking me up. Rena Rouge smiles a little too big, seeming full of life and energy while I am practically a walking corpse. I never knew morning people actually existed until now.

"Goodness! You frightened the living daylights out of me!" I exclaim. Rena Rouge gives me an apologetic look, "Sorry, I am just really excited. I have always wanted to be a tour guide somebody around the poor section. Also, you cannot use this doorway. It will practically fall apart when you touch it. That is why we use the skylight."

I blink and turn toward the door, "Oh."

"Anyhow, it is time to show you around!" the holder of the fox miraculous says, looping an arm around mine. I flinch at the sudden touch, not expecting it. Rena did not seem to notice and dragged me along down a dirt road.

I do not know what it is but I am getting this strange feeling that something is off with Rena. She looks like me in the mirror after a bad experience and tries to hide it all with a smile. She just seems too happy...like she is forcing it. I will have to question her about it later and go along with the tour.

My eyes start scanning the place, seeing the huts and rotting houses, lots of junky objects laying everywhere, and clothes hanging from ropes. I am surprised to see a lot of people already up at this hour, especially some children. This place seems so lively, even if it is in the earlier hours. I can only imagine what the rest of the day is like.

"We will start at the gate then head down the main dirt road," Rena explains. I manage a small smile at this woman's enthusiasm (especially at this time in the morning). It makes me wonder what makes this poverty neighborhood so special to want to tour guide this place.

"I suppose I will understand once the tour begins," I think, "Maybe...this place is better..."

   We arrive at the gate and what looks like the main part of the poor section. Many small shops and stands line the sides of the dirt road, some beginning to open up for the day.

   "I am sure you know about the gate," Rena says, gesturing toward the gate. I look at it—the giant metal doors the upper-class fears of and tries so hard to fit in as to not get kicked out.

   "Then, over here, is the marketplace. Foods, magic, clothes, and more can be found here," the fox heroine explains, guiding me through the market. I perk up at a specific word, "Magic? Is that not outlawed?"

   Rena sighs, "Well...it is a bit of a conflict here in the poor section."

   Suddenly, a piece of fruit hits Rena Rouge in the head and another misses me by a few inches.

   "Stop using magic!" A woman angrily yells, "The reason akumas try attacking us is because of you heroes! You are endangering us all! Leave you, miscreants!"

   Next to the woman, a little boy shyly watches his mother assault us with fruits. Yet, he, unknowing to his mother, waves at us without any sign of hatred. Rena Rouge and I quickly move along.

   "There are some who do not mind magic while others...are against it for their own understandable reasons. But I can see why you would think it is outlawed, the rich are strictly forbidden from ever using it," Rena finishes explaining.

   "That is awful," I reply, remorseful for the rebels, "You guys do everything in your power to protect everyone and still get treated this way."

   Rena chuckles, not a hint of joy behind it, "The price of popularity. You are either treated with great respect or disrespect."

I did not say anything, knowing how painfully true that statement is. Though some might have good intentions or do noble deeds, there are still people who will disagree. Even when heroes protect these civilians from danger, a few might think the heroes are the ones who attract evil or be it.

Rena continues to show me around, teaching me different things I never will know from the wealthy section. She has me join a group of children (with parents who do not hate the rebels) in a game called "wall ball" (sort of like soccer), eat foods that would give my mother a heart attack from just looking at it, and taught me an actually fun dance.

Yet, I did not stop thinking about what Rena said earlier and went deeper into the subject.

"Rena Rouge?" I say, getting the holder of the fox miraculous's attention. We were just outside a fortune teller's hut. An elder woman named Lady Olympia is the owner of the place but I did not meet her. We did not have enough time to go inside so we are on our way to the next place.

   "What was your speculation on the miraculous rebels before you became one?" I ask, "I know you were not a part of the team until three years ago."

"The only time I ever really thought about the heroes was when they were brought up in conversation. Aside from that, I never very much cared about them before I met one," she answers.

   I hum in acknowledgment then continued with another question, "Oh, is that how you got your powers?"

   Rena suddenly stops.

I pause in my tracks, wondering if I said something wrong. Rena's face contorts in anguish and her body goes stiff as a diamond. A past torment seems to show only Rena a story through her caramel eyes, retelling a bitter tale and keeping those skeletons in a closet.

Anxiety, stress, and many other emotions seem to entangle themselves in a never-ending conflict within the fox heroine.

"Whatever she is recalling must be traumatic if it still haunts her to this day," I think in my mind. I do feel guilty for asking the question, unknowing of how personal it is for Rena Rouge. Yet, I did not expect the situation it was going to put her and me in.

Soon enough, Rena snaps out of her daze and seems smaller than before.

"Is everything alright?" I ask, reaching out to place a comforting hand on her shoulder. The ombré-haired woman quickly reacts, catching my wrist before my hand makes any contact. Her mouth moves but no words form, dried out. It takes her a moment to compose herself.

   "Sorry..." she apologizes, letting go of my wrist.

   "It is okay," I reassure her.

   Rena lets out a breath, relaxing a little, "I did not earn, much less am deserving, of this power."

   She clutches the foxtail pendant in her grip like it is her last lifeline, "Some of us either have made terrible mistakes in our past or felt completely useless in times of need. Now...I—we bear and wear this burdensome reminder that represents those mistakes and failures."

Rena looks down at her necklace. My heart breaks, realizing the meaning behind her words. The miraculous is not a lifeline but a weight. Not only does the miraculous hold powers and responsibility, it also carries a reminder of the past—all their unpleasant pasts. Now, I wonder what each rebel had endured to each be given their powers.

Rena Rouge has the power of creating and seeing through lies. What treacherous deception did she experience?

"I apologize for bringing up the topic. I did not know about your...personal struggles," I apologize again, "We do not need to talk about it anymore."

Rena pulls off a grimace and shakes her head, "No need to be apologetic. I needed to get a bit of that heaviness off my chest. I am honestly feeling a bit better."

"Are you sure? We can always sit down for a moment or return to the dojo-"

"Ladybug, thank you for worrying about me but I promise you I am okay," Rena cuts me off, finally managing a real smile, "Now, let us not dally. How about I show you our last stop before you have to go?"

I frown, not answering her. I am still very concerned for the fox holder. I know she has the powers of lies but I believe she is being truthful about her condition at this time. Very wearily, I agree and make sure to keep a close eye on the hero.

   We soon arrive at a bit of an open area with fenced animals. I recognize some of them from books I have read at a young age but I have never seen them in person. There is an animal with a white coat with decorated black or brown splotches and others with merely brown.

   "What are those again?" I ask, pointing at the animals. Rena raises an eyebrow at my lack of knowledge of those animals.

   "You mean the cows?" She answers.

   "Cows. Ah yes, that is what they are called!" I exclaim then search for another animal, "What about those?"

   "Sheep?" Rena questionably answers, "How do you not know what cows or sheep are?"

   I sheepishly scratch the back of my neck, "I do recognize them from pictures in books I read from my early years of life. Yet, it has been a very long time since then."

   When I was younger, I focused mainly on sword fighting techniques, strategies, and styles. Then, I came of age to start my "lady training." My schedule was and still is packed with lessons, practice, meals, parties, finding a male companion, and more. Some things take hours because I have to keep doing them until it is spot on. I used my breaks to practice sword fighting.

   The only books I ever read anymore are for studying things mother gives me and sword fighting. None of those books include animals except for carriage horses and guard dogs.

   Rena sadly smiles, seeming like she understands what I am talking about. But she does not say a word since we arrive at a hut. Two familiar faces are standing outside it, Carapace and Chat Noir. I notice Rena Rouge suddenly becomes hesitant to approach them for some reason.

   "Are you sure you are okay?" I question. Rena did not have time to answer when the two men stand before us. Much to my confusion, Carapace and Chat Noir also seem a bit on edge too. Am I missing something?

   "What are you two doing here?" I ask, trying to ease the thick tension in the air. Carapace turns to me with a small smile, "Mister Martin, the farmer that lives here, had asked us to watch the farm for a bit while he went to the market. He will be back in about an hour."

   I nod, "Alright, Rena Rouge can rest while you two can show me around the farm."

   "What?" Rena exclaims, "I am capable of showing you the last spot of our tour. I do not need to rest."

"Rena Rouge," Chat Noir speaks up for the first time, "I am ordering you to go sit in that chair and rest. Carapace and I will handle Ladybug."

Chat points at a rickety chair sitting by the hut's door. Rena scoffs, not pleased by the direct order coming from Chat Noir.

   Before the fox hero could argue, Chat Noir cut her off, "I do not know what happened with you last night, nor is it any of my business. But if someone on my team is off during an Akuma fight, someone else will pay for your mess up. Unless you want to fess up, then I suggest you follow my order without argument."

   Rena stays silent, narrowing her eyes at Chat Noir and crossing her arms in a huff. She stomps off toward the chair angry and upset.

   "You could have been nicer," I say to Chat Noir.

   "She is stubborn. It is either I get it through her head now or have an argument that could last an hour. Frankly, I do not want to waste any more time than we already have. So let us not dally any longer," the blonde hero explains. Then, he walks off, gesturing to follow him.

   I glance at Carapace, who is worriedly looking at Rena Rouge. The turtle hero lets out a sigh, turning back to me.

   "Let us go," Carapace murmurs, walking after Chat Noir. I glance over at Rena once more before trailing behind the two guys.

{+}{+}{+}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 297 49
Marinette Dupain-Cheng is as we all know, the one and only Ladybug. She has an awesome partner named Chat Noir who's secret identity is none other th...
3.8K 82 27
Marinette has been missing for a week and no one knows where she could have gone. Ladybug went on a mission and she's left Chat Noir in charge while...
2.3K 102 10
❝ 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 and just like the last, and like the next, i'll make you fall in love with me over and over again. we can 𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 our...
26 3 3
At 22, Marinette Dupain-Cheng and Adrien Agreste, also known as Ladybug and Chat Noir, are juggling a lot. They're a year into their relationship and...