Danger

By Booping123

(Book 2 of Vanished) It's been four months since everyone over the age of fifteen vanished. As food becomes s... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thrity-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Ten

103 32 43
By Booping123

Esme searched around town for any sign of Cindy. She didn't want to drive up to Uden or deal with Bella. Scarlett is enough to deal with, but Bella just reminds her of a mom who won't let her kids play. Maybe she's turning into one of those stalker girlfriends.

She opened Cindy's house door, looking around breathlessly in the house. "Cindy!" she gasped, looking around the rooms.

Esme could feel one of her scrapes open on her foot, the pain striking. Emma won't heal them because she now refuses since she injures them too much.

In a bedroom, she spotted Cindy staring at her. "Great! Okay, I need you to bring me to the power plant!" Esme exclaimed.

"Why?" she asked.

"I need to make sure Lukey is actually dead and deal with Greyson," Esme explained.

"Just you alone?" Cindy asked. "What about Jason or Jade?"

"The housewife is keeping him home, and Jade is..." She couldn't remember where Jade had gone. "We'll go see Jason and Bella, then we'll go."

Cindy gripped her hand as they found themselves in the living room. Looking around, Esme realized that it had been awhile since she had been here.

"Maybe she poisoned him," Esme whispered.

"I wouldn't be surprised," Cindy mumbled as she took a seat on the couch.

"Shouldn't we just rush around and find them?" Esme mumbled.

"Might snap her out of that phase," Cindy mumbled, pulling her purple tuque down with crossed arms.

"Oh, so we're like ninjas?" Esme gasped, Cindy nodded as Esme put up a thumb. Speed Demon the Ninja had a nice ring.

"Wait, let's duck behind the couch," Cindy whispered.

They crawled behind it as Esme peered overtop. She heard footsteps as Bella walked into the kitchen, unaware of their presence. She wanted to burst into laughter but kept her face neutral.

Bella grabbed a dirty rag and brought it back into the bedroom. "Are we just going to spy until they see us?" Esme whispered.

"We'll wait until she comes back and scare her," Cindy grumbled.

Esme liked that plan. She didn't realize Cindy had become such a badass since Melany died. They waited as Bella came back into the kitchen.

"Boo!" Esme called, Bella jumped and almost stumbled to the ground. Esme laughed as Cindy stared at her with a neutral expression.

"What are you two doing here?" Bella asked, eyeing Cindy more than herself.

"Esme wants to go back to the power plant, but it's stupid for her to go alone." Cindy explained with crossed arms.

"I'm not going with you," Bella informed them.

"Jason," Esme beamed as Bella eyed her.

"He's injured," she said plainly.

"Apparently, if I go alone, I might die," Esme groaned as she flopped herself onto the couch.

Bella seemed unimpressed with them, even being in the house. "God says it's safer to stay indoors," she stated.

"You sound like Eden," Esme said, holding her stomach in laughter.

"You know, at any given moment, this house could break, and then you would die," Cindy said plainly. "I'll check at the power plant."

Cindy bopped away, coming back a second later. It made Esme wonder who else would end up going to that place.

"I saw Preston, Nevaeh, and two others. The girl had been on the floor laughing and pointing at the ceiling," Cindy said.

Esme knew who that had to be. "Mia is there? She's literally hilarious," she laughed again, rolling off the couch.

"Mia?" Bella asked, as Esme nodded and hopped on her feet.

"Known as Uden's biggest stoner. She gets caught smoking all the time," Esme stated.

"Drugs are wrong," Bella spat.

Cindy rolled her eyes as the door burst open, and Jade slid her way in on some ice. She slammed the brown door, staring at them. Esme always found Jade's powers super cool for everything that they could do.

"Jade, Mia is at the power plant!" Esme exclaimed.

"Why are you two here?" Jade asked, staring at them.

"Well, we're attempting to convince the housewife to let her boyfriend come help at the power plant." Cindy spat with both hands on her hips.

"It isn't right," Bella uttered.

"Where is he anyway?" Esme rushed, speeding her way through closed doors, until she found him asleep in one room. "Jason!" She shook him violently until he stirred and stared with narrowed eyes.

"Don't wake him up!" she heard Bella call.

"Heya, come to the power plant," Esme said.

"We were just there," Jason rasped.

"We have to see if Luke died and if Greyson screwed up," Esme implied.

Cindy bopped into the room as she looked him in the eye. "There are four new people that arrived at the power plant. Preston, Nevaeh, Mia, and another boy," she stated.

"What boy? Maverick?" Jason panicked. She shrugged her shoulders as he let out a sigh.

Esme wondered if it could have been other boys from Uden Academy. If Mia was there with another boy, it could always be Will or Andrew.

"Does Mia have supernatural powers?" Jason asked, but Esme shook her head and grabbed his wrist to pull him out of bed.

"She's high or drunk most of the time. She'll flash people, fall down, or pull pranks," Esme implied, watching Jason's ears tint red.

"I'm okay with staying here," Jason sighed.

"Okay, so if me or Esme end up dying from Luke, we'll blame you," Cindy pointed at Bella. She grabbed Esme's wrist before they stood in the dark power plant.

"You're such a badass now," Esme chimed, grinning.

"Well, Bella can't keep playing the controlling housewife who turned to God," Cindy spat.

"Okay, we have to go this way," Esme implied, pointing down the dark hallway. They walked down the hall, the echo of their footsteps being heard.

"This is where you fought?" Cindy asked, as Esme nodded and held out some of her barbed wire with her gloves.

"I'm pretty sure he isn't dead, but I need to check. We could give him a pretty makeover," Esme said, winking.

Cindy glanced around the hallway until Esme spotted that piece of ceiling missing. She saw all the crumbled pieces around and knew that's where he would be.

"There!" Esme exclaimed, grabbing Cindy's wrist and speeding to where the small pieces were on the ground. Luke's body lay still as Esme tilted her head.

"Is he really dead?" Cindy questioned.

Esme leaned in close to his face, but then met his icy eyes. She jumped back up to her feet while he shoved the pieces off, staring at both of them with a devious grin.

"It's been some time since I faced you two," Luke sneered.

Esme grinned, bouncing on her toes. It was unfortunate that he actually still lived, but his noodle arm dragged on the ground.

"Your noodle arm looks like it needs some sauce," Esme said.

"And you need to die," he snarled.

Ilya woke with her head on a thin sweater. Looking around, she realized she had been on the floor. Layla slumped against the wall, while Angel stood near the door.

"What happened?" She rasped, her mind feeling dizzy as she couldn't remember anything.

"You had a seizure," Angel stated as she lay on her side.

"From what?" Ilya asked.

"That's why we're asking you," Layla implied, sitting in front of her.

"Do you have any medication for my head?" Ilya asked, slowly sitting up and holding her head.

"We'd have to go to the infirmary," Layla said.

If she could get some medication, this headache would go away. It wasn't just the medication, but all the worries and doubts. Medication hasn't just become a need but also a desire.

"We should go there then," Layla remarked.

Ilya tried to stand but stumbled. Why did she feel she was going to fall over and crash to the ground? She should be walking around normally and treating her children, who are probably still cold and hungry.

"We'll go after we talk," Angel said, as he helped her lie back down. "Does your medication cause seizures?"

"They ran out of my antidepressants months ago. I take a different brand now," Ilya explained. "I was probably tired."

She went to stand, but Layla pushed her shoulders down. "Are you addicted?" she whispered.

"To what?" Ilya asked. She glanced at Angel, who held the small garbage bag filled with pill racks. "You think I'm addicted to drugs? No, I'm just taking my normal medication as I would."

She felt sweaty when she should have been freezing. What was happening to her? Why was she feeling all these cravings when her period stopped because of starvation?

"Do you not believe me?" Ilya asked, but both of them didn't say anything.

"We'll perform the test," Layla implied as Angel stood, calling someone into the room.

Talia came into the room, looking at the three of them. The girl sat in front of her, holding out a palm of pills in her hands. Pills that could calm her nerves sent her heart racing and it made her hands tremble, but she didn't show she needed them. She couldn't show when she had to protect the children in the daycare.

"Do you want these?" Talia baited Ilya as she shook her head, but she wanted to say yes.

"I should look after the children. I don't have a drug problem," Ilya said.

Talia set down one pill in her palm. "It's for your headache," she said.

Ilya took the pill quicker than a speeding car. They were pills that could help her through this hardship. Yes, medication taken twice daily could help her get through it all. After all, she needed something to distract her from it all.

Talia handed the other two pills to Layla, who stared uncertainly. "It's fine, Layla. I'm not addicted or overwhelmed," Ilya said.

It wasn't how Emma was feeling after passing out and having a mental breakdown. No, she had still been able to function, even if she barely slept or ate. Ilya stood, using a wall for support. Stepping out of the room, she felt dizzy again. If she had more medication, it could ease all the pain.

"Have you thought about doing drugs?" Ilya flicked her gaze back at Layla.

Why couldn't her sister just believe her? She knew she wasn't addicted. All she wanted was the drugs for support, but she wasn't addicted. She turned fifteen on June 4th. The vanishing process hasn't happened anymore, ever since Greyson and Jason stopped it.

Layla caught up with her in the kitchen, grabbing her forearm. "I'm the one who caught you having a seizure. What were you doing?" she asked.

Ilya couldn't remember what she had been doing. It felt like her mind was blank for the last couple hours.

"Probably just taking a drink," Ilya said, wanting to lay back down and actually sleep.

"It's scary, Ilya..." Layla whispered.

"It's probably hunger, since we only eat canned food now," Ilya implied.

Why would Layla want to suspect that she had a drug addiction? That would be something she would never think about doing. All she is doing is taking her normal medication, like she always has.

"It won't happen again," Ilya said. She walked away from Layla, toward her huddled children.

"Did you get sick, Ilya?" Questions swarmed as she sat in front of the cold and scared children.

"I just needed to sleep," Ilya remarked, as she smiled at them. Her head still pounded, and she felt hot enough that she removed her winter coat, covering some of the children with it.

"Ilya, I'm hungry," she patted the boy's head.

"We'll get food soon," Ilya smiled.

She had to provide them with the reassurance they needed. Stop focusing on wanting pills to help your headache or even just wanting them.

"Will we see our mommy and daddy soon?" one child asked.

It was always some of the same words. How could she get herself distracted by taking antidepressants or doing anything for headache medication? Even if it had just been one pill, she wanted more. No, she couldn't! She'd be proving to be an awful sister and mother for all these children.

Looking around at the cold air, Scarlett felt a pit of doubt. If the power plant ended up blowing up or getting destroyed, there would be no hydro. How did you survive without water, warmth, food, and medicine? She wouldn't doubt it because Greyson would find a way. Then again, not all of his plans have gone successfully.

"We got some tools," Preston called as Scarlett observed Greyson flashing the light.

"Woah, are you going skating?" Mia was awed by all the ice.

"Bring Mia so she can flash you?" Scarlett mocked him with a smirk, as Preston shook his head. The bag dropped by their feet, raiding through the mass number of tools.

"We'll use this," Greyson implied, pulling out the sledgehammer to whack the ice down.

"Are we playing a game?" Mia asked.

"Yes, we're playing; try not to die," Scarlett said.

"I love that game!" Mia cheered. "Once I almost got hit by a car."

Scarlett glanced at Greyson, who was glaring at Henry, who cracked the ice instead. She could feel James' gaze on her, since she had been the one to convince him with all this hydro business.

"We have to crack this top layer," James said.

"You'd better help the Dauntless Leader before he throws you," Scarlett said, as Preston scurried off with one tool.

Mia came over, playing with James' hair, much to his chagrin. "Your hair is so soft," she awed, as he awkwardly attempted to push her hands away.

"James actually has a girlfriend," Scarlett implied.

"The geek has a girlfriend?" Mia asked in a daze. "Is it Esme or something?"

"She's not my girlfriend," he mumbled.

"You need to loosen up," Mia slurred. Scarlett watched Greyson destroy some pieces of the ice. It had been working, but it would take them days.

Mia stared down at the ice in front of them on her hands and knees. The ice reflected their faces, which she kept changing her face into different expressions in the dark place.

"Why is the resident stoner here?" Scarlett inquired.

"I'm bored, so why not come where all the business is happening?" Mia sighed.

This girl can barely think clearly, so Scarlett didn't even have to humiliate her. Sometimes she'd just be living in her own space, partying, or eating.

"Well, this business hasn't gotten very far. First the brother comes, then some flooding happens," Scarlett pointed at the hole at the side of the building. "And that."

"You got any food?" Mia asked, lying on her back.

"If I did, I wouldn't give you any," Mia pouted as she sat on her knees.

Scarlett shuffled her way to Greyson, where the hole in the ice continued to crack. "It's working," he said.

Greyson's plan would go accordingly; they would turn the heat back on while only being concerned about the blizzard and food. They brought canned food, but only two cans of food.

"We just have to crack the top layer." Greyson called.

"Yes, so when we see the pipe again, we have to leave it," James said.

"And what do we do with all this water?" Scarlett inquired.

"There's a drain in the middle," Greyson spat, his teeth gritting. He shuffled across the ice, starting to slam a hammer where the drain had been frozen.

Scarlett arched her brow as she flashed the light at the ice. "Hey!" Preston exclaimed as she glanced back at him.

"Try not to fall in," Scarlett called, watching small cracks form.

Using his one palm, Greyson slammed the hammer down to hit the ice. "Oh," Preston said, coming toward her and handing her a piece of paper. Looking down, she flashed the light over about the Dunlop Cottage.

The large cottage that was built far off at the south end of Wasaga Beach, where nobody boated around due to private property. She heard about this cottage, which is basically a mansion. It had been located separately on a small island. It seemed like complete luxury away from this wreckage they have, which she would take any day.

"What's that?" Greyson asked, dropping the hammer and snatching the paper from his hands.

"It's that fancy mansion that's been built on Beckwith Island," Scarlett said, while Greyson stared at it with narrowed eyebrows. Scarlett didn't know if Greyson would give up this opportunity.

"It'd be empty now that nobody is there," he mumbled, handing the promotion poster to her. Greyson went back to breaking the ice as she slipped it into her pocket.

"It's better than sitting around and doing this," she implied, crossing her arms. "Plus, my birthday is coming up."

Her birthday is next week, on September 12th. They haven't been long in this dangerous situation, but she didn't want to die.

"You won't vanish," Greyson implied.

"Why would I want to vanish?" Scarlet mocked Greyson, who shrugged but didn't say anything. It had been enough already that she was beginning to doubt getting out of this.

Greyson dropped the hammer and stood inches away from her now. Even with the flashlight on, nobody could see them from a distance. He kissed her as she caressed a thin glove on his cheek. It wasn't a gentle kiss, but rather a starving one that wasn't just for food, but for a boy. It was like that feeling that had happened in the cabin at Reform Camp.

Scarlett had been used to taunting through seduction. However, with Greyson, it has been different. They were cruel people who kissed as if they were the last on earth.

The kiss had been so needy that Greyson had stumbled back slightly. Why has it become almost a need for him now? Every close contact had been a kiss, especially how close their bodies had been.

Scarlett didn't feel much in the beginning when Greyson started kissing her, but now she feels it. That feeling she felt inside left her heart hammering, worrying about him dying from Jason. She wasn't sure if they were capable of saying those words to each other.

She pulled back to stare at him. "If this fails, we will go there," Greyson breathed.

"And how would we get there?" Scarlett asked.

"I'd have a plan, wouldn't I?" Greyson inquired.

"And some of those work out so well sometimes," she mocked.

Greyson went back to breaking the ice for the drain, but she felt a crack under her own foot. "Are you trying to get me to fall in?" she asked. Hewhipped around as she pointed at the crack beneath her boots.

"It's cracking!" James yelled, noticing the whole thing had begun to crack. Scarlett rushed back as Greyson followed behind, seeing the many cracks.

"Are we going to drown?" Preston panicked as James pressed his lips into a thin line.

"James," Greyson demanded.

Scarlett flashed around the breaking ice. It was slowing breaking, cracks expanding with each second that seemed to pass by. Slowly, water was becoming visible, with some cracking under her feet.

"We have to get to the control room," James said as he rushed up the stairs as everyone followed behind.

When most of them had been on the steps, all the water came rushing down like a waterfall. Pieces of ice cracked as they stared in from the control room, and the door shut.

"It reminds me of those water parks," Mia said, her face slamming against the plexiglass. "No, the car washes when you go through, but there's no soap."

"Why did it start cracking? We were barely able to destroy it all," Preston asked.

"I've heard breaks from temperature or if you break it hard enough. Neither of those were possible," James said.

Scarlett watched the water rushing through the closed door. It all seemed like a vacuum cleaner was cleaning everything, except the vacuum could kill you.

Greyson opened the control panel door and stood on a step. He faced one palm directed at the water while the other shut the door. He bowled his hands together, seeing the rushing water form a tsunami. There were massive waves forming, directed toward where the drain would be. It made a splash, sending water flying onto the plexiglass. It slowly drained, but the water still rested high above the walls.

"Aim it all directly at the drain," James said.

"That's what I'm trying to do!" Greyson snapped over the roaring water.

Greyson leaned over the railing with gritted teeth. It still seemed like the water wouldn't fully drain, regardless of what he tried. Scarlett sat back on a chair and watched the water. Reaching down underneath her chair, she grabbed the small can of diced peaches. Slipping one in her mouth, she felt all eyes on her instead of the water.

"Gimme!" Mia exclaimed, pouncing at her for one.

"I'm not giving your high-ass one," Scarlett remarked.

"We're both Hispanic," Mia implied.

"Yes, but I'm not Asian," Scarlett said with a smirk, opening the door.

"What, Scarlett?" Greyson asked, his eyebrows narrowing, trying to focus on the running water in the drain. It seemed to not drain but rather flow over the drain.

"Here," Scarlett said. He glanced at her before lowering one hand quickly, grabbing a peach slice."You think Luke drowned?"

"I don't care. He had been someone useful for punishment," Greyson spat.

Scarlett hoped he drowned or that Esme killed him. Luke is entertaining to taunt, especially since Greyson won't let it slide if he touches her.

"Maybe focus it on the hole," she suggested, pointing to the hole covered by machinery.

Greyson took a breath, using his one hand to remove the heavy pieces. Throwing them into the rapid current, he pushed a hand forward, and it had the opposite effect. Instead of it all going through the hole, it broke off more of the wall ahead of them.

Scarlett laughed at his idiotic display. "It got most of the water out," Greyson said.

James came out first to look around at the wet area. The ice they had been cracking came into view as the raging storm seeped into the building.

"The only thing we have to worry about is the pipe busting from the cold air," James implied.

Greyson had descended the stairs before James said anything. Scarlett followed, which she could already tell he was exhausted.

"Do we have to wait or break it?" Scarlett asked as James looked at the hole in the ground.

"Wait," James stated. Scarlett nodded, glancing at Greyson, who was crouched over, wobbly.

"Can we just party around here?" Mia's voice echoed in the room, creeping behind machines.

"Don't touch anything unless I tell you..." Greyson barked before his movements became wobbly. He staggered toward her and swayed as she caught him, unconscious.

"Knew it," Scarlett muttered, groaning.

She placed one of his arms over her neck. She dragged him more than carried him up the stairs into the control room. Setting him against the wall, he slumped as she sat in front of him, eating a peach.

"Honestly, take better care of yourself," she mumbled and rolled her eyes.

Don't forget to comment and vote!
-Lexi

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129 59 25
The world was peaceful for a long time and it was maintained that way because of one sacrifice of a large family. Harmony was prevalent, and peace se...
Fear Games By Alec John Belle

Mystery / Thriller

198K 12K 114
#1 IN MURDER-MYSTERY CATEGORY! Rachel never thought her past would catch up to her. When she and her friends are invited to a new haunted house on Ha...
1.5M 84.5K 76
My name is Tide. I'd love to say hi and all, but if I tell you my location two very bad things could happen. First, someone who isn't really on my l...
Countd0wn By Nuff Said

Science Fiction

102K 10.1K 41
(Highest Ranking: 14 in Science Fiction) 1 year ago, all of humanity was changed in an instant by an event known as the Singularity, a massive shockw...