My Mister Ostrich

Oleh enslavedqueenravena

Gu Mingxi and Pang Qian were neighbours, classmates and deskmates. From year to year,even when the class seat... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 0
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter4-5
Chapter 6-9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12-13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21-23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37-40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 69.1
Chapter 69.2
Chapter 81-90
Chapter 91-100
Chapter 101-119

Chapter 70-80

81 1 0
Oleh enslavedqueenravena

Read Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 70 The Classic
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 70 The Classic
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 70 The Classic
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

When the sun shines on the sea, I miss you. When the dim moonlight shines on the spring, I miss you.

Miss Crab is an interesting girl.

When Mister Ostrich was still a small ostrich, he already knew Miss Crab. Of course, at the time, she was also just a little crab.

The little crab loved to eat and sleep. With a plump, round face and a plump, round body, she didn’t have the smartest brain. She did all the childish things that a childish kid would do. After being scolded very badly, she cried. But after she realized that her tears were useless, she would wipe them away and start to act cute towards the adults.

On this point, Little Crab definitely wasn’t dumb.

She was just a bit innocent.

Little Ostrich played together with Little Crab ever since he was very small. At that time, they didn’t know what the world outside was like. They were very happy and carefree. Even if they fought sometimes, they would make up really quickly.

That wonderful life came to an end the summer that Little Ostrich turned 6 years old. He had a serious illness.

The sick Little Ostrich felt very scared, unsure of what the outcome would be in the end. Would the cowardly Little Crab no longer agree to play with him?

Little Ostrich won’t ever forget the moment that he realized the rest of his life would no longer be the same, and then he saw Little Crab’s eyes.

Little Crab didn’t cry out of fear, nor did she try to hide. She just gave a gentle look towards Little Ostrich and curled her lips without making a sound.

When she realized that Little Ostrich was crying, she reached out her little plump hand and helped him wipe away his tears. And then she smiled.

Little Crab loved to eat sweets. Several of her teeth had cavities, but she didn’t care. She just smiled mischievously with a mouth full of rotten teeth.

That year, Little Crab was just 5 years old.

The 19 year old Mister Ostrich wrote a letter to the 18 year old Miss Crab.

He stuffed it into a pretty picture frame. He gave the frame to Miss Crab and told her to immediately put a photo inside. And Miss Crab agreed to.

Mister Ostrich thought, she’d definitely see that letter.

Actually, Mister Ostrich wasn’t a cowardly person. He’d already expressed himself and left implications many times. Although he was uncertain whether Miss Crab was pretending to be a fool or if she was truly that slow, in any case, Miss Crab’s response left Mister Ostrich very confused.

Mister Ostrich could never understand Miss Crab’s intentions. But they were grown up now, and the cruel reality was that they would probably be separated. Mister Ostrich wrote that letter to Miss Crab as a last chance for himself. Miss Crab was ever the romanticist, so Mister Ostrich used a very romantic gesture to express his feelings to her.

He thought that as long as she showed even a sliver of a response, he wouldn’t be afraid of anything, and he would continue to stay by her side.

Mister Ostrich went to a small park, where the two of them often played together, and he waited under that London planetree. Mister Ostrich’s heart beat rapidly, his eyes stuck on that road into the park. He waited expectantly for his Miss Crab to show up in front of him.

But she never came.

That day, there was a heavy rainstorm. Mister Ostrich kept waiting. He imagined that Miss Crab couldn’t find the place, or that she’d been delayed by other matters. Or even, maybe she was embarrassed, so she was hiding behind some tree, silently watching him.

Drenched in rain, Mister Ostrich waited a very, very long time, until he finally admitted that Miss Crab wouldn’t show up.

His world lost all color. In that heavy storm of torrential rain, Mister Ostrich stood alone in that dark park. In that moment, he decided to let go.

Pang Qian opened her eyes, surrounded by quiet. She fished up her phone to check the time, 7:10 AM.

She had slept in a simple hostel, but it had heating so it wasn’t too cold. Pang Qian got up, walked to the window, and pulled open the curtains. She looked out at the snow-covered world and watched as the snowflakes flew through the air. She let out a sigh and made a call to the airport. She was informed that because of the blizzard, the airport was still closed. The weather condition was too poor, so no flights would be taking off.

Pang Qian immediately decided to ask for a refund.

She collected her luggage, braved the snow, and hailed down a taxi to the train station. The train station was filled with people. Pang Qian wanted to buy a sleeper ticket back to E City, but there weren’t any. She asked about Shanghai. Yes, there was a soft sleeper. She immediately bought the ticket without hesitation.

Because of the snow, the train was also two hours late arriving to the station. While they were waiting, Pang Qian called Jin Ai’hua. She asked, “Mom, do you remember when we moved, I brought along a crystal picture frame? It was pretty big. The one that Gu Mingxi gave me when we graduated high school.”

“Gu Mingxi?” Jin Ai’hua hadn’t heard that name in a long time. She thought for a moment, and then said, “Didn’t you pack up all your things? Gu Mingxi gave you a lot of stuff. Didn’t you put it all into one box?”

Pang Qian was silent, and then said, “Oh, that seems about right. As long as we didn’t throw it away, that’s good.”

“What? Why did you suddenly mention Gu Mingxi?” Jin Ai’hua asked, “Did you find him?”

Pang Qian smiled and said, “No.”

“Where are you right now? The plane still can’t take off?”

“Nope. Don’t you watch the weather report? There’s a blizzard up north. I got my ticket refunded and bought a train ticket. We get on at 12 PM, and we’ll probably be back in Shanghai tomorrow morning. And then I’ll take the railcar back home. If things go smoothly, I should be home tomorrow afternoon.”

Jin Ai’hua exclaimed, “So much trouble!”

Pang Qian sighed, “Yeah, there’s no other way.”

“Did you call Xiao Yu yet?”

“No, I’m not calling him. If he asks you, don’t tell him when I’m coming home.”

Jin Ai’hua chuckled. “Got it.”

When she entered the sleeper car, Pang Qian was met by two men, a 40 year-old and a 20 year-old, who seemed to be on a business trip together. And there was also a young mother with a 3 or 4 year old boy. The young mother had bought the top bed and Pang Qian had the bottom. The young mother sheepishly asked Pang Qian if she wouldn’t mind switching beds, and Pang Qian smiled and agreed. The young mother was about to repay Pang Qian for the difference, but she said forget it, since it was only a few dollars’ difference.

And so, the two of them became friendly. The young mother warmly invited Pang Qian to sit on the bottom bunk and the two chatted.

The weather was bad, real estate was expensive, the price was raised for vegetables, kids are getting harder to raise…

Pang Qian’s phone rang. She looked at it, it was her team leader, Zou Liwen.

Zou Liwen’s voice was as cold as always. “How’s the progress?”

Note: In her work conversations, words in italics were originally written in English.

Pang Qian answered calmly, “The DD in Shenyang is complete. I already spoke to the lawyer about it, and I’ll put out a memo when I get back.”

Zou Liwen said, “The Regulatory Commission and the stock exchange already gave their OK. Follow up with them.”

Pang Qian responded, “OK, I can check the work inbox on my BB at any time. It won’t leak. I’ll update the agenda, and then I’ll send it to the client.”

“Okay, good work.” Zou Liwen’s voice finally eased up a bit. “When are you getting back?”

“Can’t get back. There’s a blizzard here, so the plane’s can’t take off.”

“…” Zou Liwen asked, “Then where are you right now?”

“Aiya, the signal’s really bad–” Pang Qian pulled the phone away from her ear. Holding in her laughter, she said, “Team Leader, what did you say? Hello? Hello?! I can’t hear–”

And then she ended the call.

The young mother looked at her with admiration. “What kind of work do you do? I couldn’t understand anything you said. How amazing.”

Pang Qian laughed. “I’m just a regular worker.”

“Regular workers don’t make calls and speak English. What do DD and BB mean?”

“Oh, DD means due diligence, due diligence. BB is a phone, blackberry, blackberry. They’re just abbreviations we’re used to using.” Pang Qian looked at the young mother’s perplexed face, and then she smiled. “I’m really just a normal office worker. It’s just that my team leader likes to pretend to be cooler, so we can only pretend along with him.”

The young mother laughed. “You’re really interesting. What field do you work in?”

“I work in investment banking.”

“Investment?”

Pang Qian didn’t know how to explain it, so she just threw out some nonsense. “Like, banks.”

The twenty-something man across from them let out a short, muffled laugh.

The young mother looked on with realization and said, “Ah, so it’s banking!”

On the long journey, Pang Qian couldn’t help pulling out the illustrated book again. She’d already flipped through it three times, but she didn’t seem to tire of it.

The little boy saw the picture book and leaned over to look at it. The kid couldn’t read yet, but he liked the colorful pictures. He pointed at the illustration and said, “This is an ostrich.”

Pang Qian smiled. Then she pointed to the crab and said, “What’s this?”

The kid looked at her with a bit of disdain. “This is a crab! You’ve never eaten it before?”

Pang Qian was extremely amused.

The young man across from her struck up a conversation with her. He pointed to the book and asked, “Do you like this author?”

“Mister Ostrich?” Pang Qian nodded. “I do.”

“He’s really popular right now,” the man said. “He’s already put out several books. This one, My Miss Crab, is said to be semi-biographical. It’s selling especially well now.”

Pang Qian stared at him. “I’ve never heard of him before. He’s already published several illustrated books?”

“Yeah, at first, he used to post comics online. He was really popular on Tianya and Sina (websites). Later on, he published a book,” the man said. “But he’s pretty low-profile. People only know that he’s a man, but not much else.”

Pang Qian let out a sigh. “I must have been too busy with work these years. I haven’t gone to a bookstore in a long time.”

One day and night later, the train finally arrived in Shanghai. Because they were in a soft sleeper, Pang Qian didn’t really feel tired after the trip. She got off the train and bought a ticket back to E City on the railcar. Less than two hours later, she arrived at E City’s train station.

When she exited the station, she saw Yu Jialei. He smiled as he stood among the group of people waiting outside the station. He wore a fitted black coat, and with his tall stature, he looked very elite.

Pang Qian walked up to him, “Don’t you have to work?”

“I skipped work. At worst, they’ll just take out a day’s wages.” Yu Jialei took Pang Qian’s luggage. “You must be tired. I’ll send you home.”

Pang Qian’s lips twitched. Yu Jialei reached out grab her shoulders, but she slipped away from him.

“Keep your hands still, move your feet.” She stared at him, and Yu Jialei smiled warmly at her. “Little Crab is really mean.”

Pang Qian, “…”

Pang Qian’s new house was in an area called Prosperous North, situated in the heart of E City. She lived on the 17th floor of the 28 story building. 109 sqm, north and south facing, with good lighting and a good view.

Carrying Pang Qian’s bags, Yu Jialei and Pang Qian entered the house, and were welcomed in by Jin Ai’hua.

“You’re back?” You could see the wrinkles in her face for how big the smile she gave Yu Jialei. “Xiao Yu, you’ve worked hard. You haven’t had lunch yet, right? What do you want to eat? I’ll make you something.”

Pang Qian rolled her eyes at the side. She said, “I’m going to change.”

She entered her room and quickly locked her door. She took off her jacket and then started rummaging through her things.

After searching for ten minutes, Jin Ai’hua knocked on her door. “Qian Qian, come out and watch TV with Xiao Yu. What are you doing in your room by yourself?”

“I’m changing!” Pang Qian shouted. She wiped away the sweat on her forehead, and then said to herself, “Where is it…”

And then, in a flash, she finally remembered.

Pang Qian rolled up her sleeves, and then pushed the pillows and blankets off her bed. She pushed the mattress aside somewhat. Under her mattress, there was a separator and then storage space in her bed. She finally found that hidden box.

The box was stuffed full with things, with a layer of dust on top. Pang Qian knew that there were still a lot of comics inside. She couldn’t pull the box out, so she just started pulling out the items.

Very quickly, she found that picture frame.

Yu Jialei knocked on the door. “Little Crab, what are you doing?”

“Be quiet! I’m changing!” Pang Qian’s heart boomed. She took out the dusty picture frame and sat down beside the table. Carefully, she opened the back.

This time, she was very careful, so as not to prick her finger. After she took off the backing, she saw that between the back and the cardboard, there was a sheet of light blue stationary.

Pang Qian pulled out the paper and opened it. After many years, she once again saw that youth’s elegant writing.

There were just a few sentences, but they entered her mind very clearly.

Pang Qian recalled that year, after the college entrance exams, she was very relaxed. When she was hanging out with Gu Mingxi, they watched a new movie on his computer. It was a Korean romance movie, “The Classic.”

The movie was very moving. The young Pang Qian had cried buckets. Leaning onto Gu Mingxi’s shoulder, her tears wouldn’t stop flowing.

There was a classic line from the movie, and Pang Qian had repeated it many times. And then, it was written into Gu Minxgi’s letter. He wrote–

My Pang Pang,

When the sun shines on the sea, I miss you. When the dim moonlight shines on the spring, I miss you.

Tonight at 8, I’ll be waiting for you at the Little Market.

I’m sure that you’ll come.

Gu Mingxi

2003 June 25

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of useRead Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 71 Reborn
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 71 Reborn
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 71 Reborn
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

It was he who made me this way.

The next morning, Pang Qian felt especially bad. She went to wash up with a pair of panda eyes, giving Pang Shuisheng quite the scare.

“What happened to you last night? You look terrible.”

“I couldn’t sleep all night.” Pang Qian’s mouth was full of toothbrush foam as she vaguely said, “I have a splitting headache.”

“Did you work overtime?” Pang Shuisheng asked, standing outside the bathroom door.

“No.” Pang Qian rinsed her mouth. After thinking for a moment, she stepped closer to Pang Shuisheng. In a quiet voice, she said, “Dad, there’s something I have to tell you. But don’t let Mom know about it for now.”

Pang Shuisheng grew anxious from her serious tone. “What is it?”

“I think I’ve found Gu Mingxi.”

Pang Shuisheng’s suddenly widened. “Really?!”

Aside from slight fatigue, Pang Qian felt pretty good. She carefully put on her makeup, and then put on a navy blue wool coat and walked out the door.

She drove to work, and as she was waiting for the elevator, she ran into Zou Liwen. Zou Liwen was more than 30 years old. He was wearing a dark suit. When he saw Pang Qian, the first thing he said was, “Didn’t you say you weren’t coming?”

“Team Leader, I took an overnight train and rushed back. I arrived home yesterday afternoon at 1 PM, so I came to work today.” Pang Qian’s face looked aggrieved. “It’s one thing to not award me a top employee trophy, but why are you talking like I skipped work and spent the past few days playing and relaxing. Look at my dark circles.”

Zou Liwen looked over Pang Qian, then said lightly, “You look very pretty today.”

“Thank you,” Pang Qian smiled. “Team Leader, you’re super handsome too!”

This was really Pang Qian’s life, the ideal that she’d shared with Gu Mingxi more than seven years ago.

She became an office lady. Every day, she put on delicate makeup and wore pretty clothes. Standing on a pair of heels, she headed to work in a tall office building downtown. She bought a car, and her family moved to a bright, spacious house that was decorated in a modern style. She earned a decent salary. Sometimes she would be in a morning business meeting, and then be sent out on a business trip in the afternoon. She spent a lot of time in the air, and even going to Hong Kong had become very commonplace.

In front of others, Pang Qian was put together and beautiful, but alone in the dark of night, she put on her black-rimmed glasses and dirty clothes, sitting up at night to work overtime on her computer. Sometimes, she felt confused about it.

Perhaps her life had really changed because of certain things. Presently, there were multiple people pursuing her, and their qualifications were pretty good. But deeply rooted in her heart, there had only ever been one person.

During the morning meeting, Pang Qian’s mind wandered a bit. After the meeting, she immediately pulled out her phone and slipped into the stairwell.

She dialed a number that she’d found online. The publisher for “My Miss Crab.”

The receptionist answered the call. Pang Qian just said that she was a fan of Mister Ostrich and wanted to get in touch with his editor. The receptionist stayed calm in light of surprising matters, and helped Pang Qian connect to the phone.

No one picked up the phone, so eventually, Pang Qian hung up reluctantly. She called the receptionist again and said, “It’s really important that I contact Mister Ostrich. Can you give me his editor’s cell phone number?”

The receptionist said, “I’m sorry, we can’t just give out personal numbers as we like. She’s out on a business trip these few days. If you’d like, you can leave a message and I’ll help you relay it.”

Pang Qian thought for a moment, and then straightforwardly said, “Actually, I’m the Miss Crab from the book. I want to find Mister Ostrich. I’ve already lost contact with him for so many years.”

The receptionist laughed. “I’m really sorry, miss. I often received calls from girls claiming to be Miss Crab.”

Pang Qian got angry. “I can prove it! I know Mister Ostrich’s name. Do you want me to tell you?”

“But I don’t know his name.” The receptionist’s voice sounded very pretty, and she sounded sincere. “To be honest, I can understand your feelings. A lot of female readers call to ask about Mister Ostrich. I, myself, am very curious about him, but in the office, we only have contact with his editor. None of use know anything about his personal life.”

She didn’t seem like she was lying, so Pang Qian could only hang up after the call.

She returned to her office and turned on her computer. She went onto Sina Blog and searched for Mister Ostrich’s blog page. His latest post was from two years ago. Seems like he stopped using this blog a long time ago.

His posts were mostly comics. A casual drawing with a few interesting words even received lots of comments.

The previous night, Pang Qian had actually stayed up all night. She went through each and every post on Mister Ostrich’s blog, but she didn’t find any hint of his personal information. But who could understand his style more than Pang Qian?

This was her Gu Mingxi. From 2006 to 2008, he had been here.

Pang Qian rested her chin in her hands and zoned out. Suddenly a cold voice pulled her back to reality. “I didn’t know that you had such a child-like side to you.”

Pang Qian held up her head and looked at the illustration on her computer screen. It was about a group of pink pigs. She silently X-ed out of the page. Turning to Zou Liwei, “Team Leader, are you looking for me?”

Zou Liwen glanced at her. “Come to my office, there’s an E I want to talk to you about.”

That evening, Pang Qian made an unprecedented call to Yu Jialei, inviting him out to dinner.

The two of them met in a private restaurant. Yu Jialei was obviously in a good mood. He took a seat and said, “Little Crab, what’s up today? Inviting me for a meal?”

He looked at her face and then laughed. “You’re really pretty today, but your expression is too scary. That’s not good.”

Pang Qian looked at Yu Jialei. She bit her lip hesitantly, and then said, “Today, Yu Jiawei gave me an E. You introduced it, right?”

“Yeah.” Yu Jialei said as a matter of fact. “My friend wanted to do some business. If I don’t introduce him to you, who would I introduce him to?”

Pang Qian said, “Yu Jialei, I already told you. I don’t like you.”

“That’s because you still don’t understand me.” Yu Jialei poured Pang Qian a cup of tea. “Pang Qian, do you think that I’m not being serious enough?”

“No, that’s not what I mean.” Pang Qian waved her hand dismissively. “I know that you’re very serious and genuine. That’s why I’ve never hidden it from you that I’m looking for someone. I have to find him. Before I find him, I won’t be able to date.”

“Pang Qian, I’m really curious. Is there really such a person?” Yu Jialei folded his hands in front of him on the table. His hands were very pretty. Long, slender fingers, delicate joints. His index finger was tapping lightly on the table, and he was really mesmerizing.

Yu Jialei was 33 years old, who’d returned after getting his master’s degree abroad, a bank executive. He and Pang Qian met through work. Although it hadn’t even been half a year, he had very seriously starting pursuing her.

Pang Qian didn’t answer Yu Jialei’s question, but instead asked, “Yu Jialei, what is it that you like about me?”

“Hey, are you trying to say that you’ll change whatever I like about you?” He laughed. “Pang Qian, I’ve never had such a difficult time chasing after a woman. Especially with someone who has such suitable qualifications for marrying.”

Pang Qian asked again, “I’m not joking around. I really want to know, what do you like about me?”

Yu Jiahe was actually quite unsure about this question. “You’re a girl with great qualifications. Isn’t it normal for me to like you?”

“Great qualifications?”

“Don’t you think so?” Yu Jiahe smiled. “Although it’s a bit crass, I’ll tell you a bit about your strengths. First, your family background. You’re from this area, your family is on good terms, your parents are healthy, your mother’s retired, your father has a stable job that pays well and he’ll also retire. Next, you’re also very qualified. You graduated from a top university, you have a good job, you’re strong and smart. And Zou Liwen told me that you’re a hard worker. Although you complain about the workload sometimes, but you’ll work overtime when you need to, and you’re not lazy. As for money, you have a decent income, really not bad… Sorry, I’ve been friends with Zou Liwen for more than ten years now, so this (information) really isn’t a secret. And lastly, as a person… You’re 25, very young, very pretty, very interesting, very lively. When I’m with you, I’m always very happy. You might not know this, but every time I eat with you, my appetite is especially good, because when you eat, you really look like you’re enjoying it. I always felt that a woman who likes to eat and can maintain their figure is the kind of person who enjoys life the most.”

This long explanation really left Pang Qian a bit stupefied. So she’d already been reborn as a delicious cake on the marriage market?

But, why was it that after hearing Yu Jialei’s praises, Pang Qian felt some sorrow and grief? She was silent for several minutes, and then came back to answer Yu Jialei’s question from earlier.

“Yu Jialei, I’m not lying to you. There really is someone like that. This person absolutely exists. It’s not just an excuse, and I’m not just saying it for you to hear.”

Yu Jialei looked at her silently. Pang Qian smiled at him and said, “Do you want to hear about my story with him?”

“…” His eyes looked like they were concealing something, and then after a moment, he said, “Okay, tell me. I’ll listen.”

“Where should I start.” Pang Qian lowered her eyes, smiled slightly, and said, “Let’s start from your praises for me. Yu Jialei, you think that right now, I’m full of merits, right?”

“Yes.”

“Then let me tell you, it was that person, it was he who made me this way.”

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of use
Read Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 72 Lost and Found
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 72 Lost and Found
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 72 Lost and Found
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

That’s okay, I just want to see you.

Pang Qian had wanted to tell Yu Jiale a heat-rending and soul-stirring love story, but after she started, she realized that her head was just full of bits and pieces of trivial things.

None of it really had anything to do with love.

Pang Qian didn’t know how to explain her long history with Gu Mingxi to Yu Jiale. They were two very ordinary kids from this city. They didn’t go through any major events. Though Gu Mingxi was disabled, in Pang Qian’s memory, he was just like all the other boys.

She couldn’t tell Yu Jiale that she and Gu Mingxi walked to school together every day carrying their backpacks. And then on the crowded bus, she was always pressed up against his chest, her arms wrapped around his waist in an ambiguous manner. Although there were many smells mixed in the bus, she could always smell his particular scent. She could even hear his heart beating in his chest. And he would usually have his head turned, looking out the window quietly.

She also couldn’t tell Yu Jiale about her and Gu Mingxi going to the small park to eat snacks. 50 cent fried sticky rice cakes, 80 cent radish pancakes, 1 dollar sausages and stinky tofu, 2 dollar strawberry cones… Right now, Pang Qian’s casual lunches all cost some tens of dollars. Yu Jiale was the same, so how could she explain this to him?

Even more than that, she couldn’t tell Yu Jiale about all the years that she and Gu Mingxi were deskmates, doing hours of homework together. Those countless days and nights, she sat by him. Sometimes she was good, sometimes she was naughty. He would bend over, with a pen in his right foot, patiently and meticulously going over and explaining the calculations to her.

Gu Mingxi probably didn’t know this either. Sometimes, when Pang Qian was daydreaming, she would see his beautiful face and start counting his eyelashes. When he was younger, his voice was crisp and sweet. When he grew older, his voice was steady and clear. Pang Qian remembered his voice very well. In her dreams, she would hear him laugh and then say to her, “Oh, Pang Pang, it’s you.”

She remembered that year, how she cried tears of happiness as her phone call to him connected.

That summer, after Gu Mingxi and Li Han went back to Z City, Pang Qian pleaded with her father to ask Gu Guoxiang for Li Han’s phone number. Pang Shuisheng didn’t agree at first, comforting her that Gu Mingxi would contact her. But after two weeks, Gu Mingxi hadn’t called. Pang Qian couldn’t stop herself, and she caused a scene, crying in front of Pang Shuisheng. That’s when he bit the bullet and went to find Gu Guoxiang.

Because the Pang’s hadn’t attended Gu Guoxiang’s wedding, Gu Guoxiang had become a lot more cold towards Pang Shuisheng. He said he didn’t know how to contact Li Han at her family’s home. In the past few months, he hadn’t received a call from Gu Mingxi.

Pang Shuisheng felt that Gu Guoxiang was just brushing him off, but he didn’t feel like he should keep asking. He could only relay those words to Pang Qian.

And then, Pang Qian started going to the internet bar. She didn’t know what she wanted to do. She just opened up QQ and stared at that grey rat icon. She continually left messages for him, long paragraphs of words. But “Mister Ostrich” was silent the whole time and didn’t respond to a single message.

Pang Qian called Teacher Dai, but she didn’t know about Gu Mingxi’s whereabouts. Then she called Zhou Nanzhong and Wang Song. They were Gu Mingxi’s good friends in high school, but Gu Mingxi hadn’t contacted them either. Pang Qian even called Jian Zhe and Liu Hanlin, but the outcome was the same.

She ran over to Shark’s barbecue shop on her own, and then found out that he’d sold the shop. Then she ran over to Shark’s house and was informed by Shark’s mother that he’d gone to Shanghai with is friends to start a business.

Pang Qian asked for Shark’s phone number, and then quickly returned home.

The turning point was on Pang Qian’s 18th birthday. She went downstairs to get the newspaper and found a parcel slip from the post office.

Pang Qian grabbed the small, white slip of paper, her heart booming in her chest, and she quickly biked over to the post office to get her parcel.

She opened the package right then and there, and was surprised to find a Motorola phone box. She opened the box and there was a brand new phone inside.

Pang Qian picked up the small card next to the phone and looked at the one line written on it: Pang Pang, happy birthday.

And there was also a phone number with the area code 139.

Pang Qian simply couldn’t describe her feelings at that moment. She grabbed the box, ran outside, and then found a public phone and dialed the number. The dial tone rang for what felt like a century, and then a click sounded and that young man’s beautiful sounding voice asked, “Hello, who is this?”

When she heard his voice, Pang Qian’s tears started streaming down. She gripped tightly onto the phone receiver, her voice thick with tears, and said, “Gu Mingxi.”

After a few seconds of silence, he started to laugh. Hearing his laugh, Pang Qian could imagine what he looked like in that moment. He said into her ear, “Ah, Pang Pang, it’s you.”

School would be starting in just a couple weeks. Pang Qian’s mind was in an uproar, and there were a ton of things she wanted to ask Gu Mingxi. She didn’t know where to start, so just started questioning him. “Why didn’t you call me?! It’s been more than a month! How can you be like this?! You went to Z City! Why didn’t you tell me?!”

Gu Mingxi didn’t make a sound. Pang Qian’s voice was very nasally. She slowed down, and with a sob, “Gu Mingxi, are you okay?”

“I’m good, Pang Pang. Don’t worry,” he said evenly. “I’ve been really busy recently. My mom and I just got settled down. Before, we were staying with my grandparents, and we had to sleep on the living room floor at night. During the day, my mom and I would go house hunting.”

“You bought a house there?” Pang Qian felt her hear breaking. Was Gu Mingxi really going to move to Z City? He wasn’t going to come back over winter and summer breaks?

He answered, “Mm, we bought a two bedroom house, a bit more than 70 sqm. We still have to decorate and furnish it, so we probably won’t be able to move in until the end of the year.”

Pang Qian asked, “Are you guys accustomed to it there?”

“It’s okay. The summer here is much cooler than in E City.”

“Are the winters really cold?”

“That’s without a doubt. But the house has heating, so it won’t be cold.” Gu Mingxi paused. “Did you get the phone? It’s my present for your 18th birthday. Sorry that I can’t spend your birthday with you. Pang Pang, happy birthday.”

“Thank you. I didn’t get to say happy birthday to you either,” Pang Qian said. “Gu Mingxi, I bought you a present too, but I couldn’t get in touch with you. Give me your address, and I’ll send it to you.”

“…” He thought for a long time, and then said, “We’ll talk about it later. Right now, my mom and I are renting a place by the school. It’s a very simple place, and there’s not even a mailbox. I’m worried that the mail will get lost.”

Pang Qian asked, “You’re not going to live in the dorms when school starts?”

“Mm, it will be too troublesome for the other students.”

The two of them were both quiet for awhile. Then Gu Mingxi said, “Pang Pang, Shanghai’s a really big city. You have to make sure to take care of yourself when you’re there.”

Pang Qian started to cry again. With a pout, she said, “You’re the one who didn’t keep your word! Even if SHUFE wouldn’t take you, I don’t believe that none of the other schools in Shanghai wouldn’t either! Shanghai has so many top schools, and you exam score was 130 points higher than the minimum for tier-1! You couldn’t have been unable to get into any of them!”

Gu Mingxi sighed. “What’s the point of saying that now? Pang Pang, don’t cry.”

Pang Qian asked, “Are you coming back for New Year’s next year?”

“Probably not.”

Pang Qian suddenly wiped away her tears. “Gu Mingxi, next summer, I’ll go visit you, okay?”

He was startled, “Ah?”

“Since you bought a house, I’ll have a place to stay when I visit,” Pang Qian said. “You said that the summers in Z City were very cool. Then I’ll just go to get away from the heat for a few days. You’ll have to be the host and take me out to play.”

Gu Mingxi said helplessly, “Z City isn’t a vacation city.”

“That’s okay, I just want to see you,” Pang Qian said. “Gu Mingxi, I’ve never gone so long without seeing you! A year! I definitely have to go see you!”

Gu Mingxi was silent again. Then he said, “Pang Pang, if you still want to visit me next spring, then I’ll gladly welcome you in the summer. But I hope that you can understand that some things are better left to the past. Some people you meet will only be with you for a certain part of your life, like Wang Tingting in primary school, Sun Mingfang in junior high, and even Zheng Qiaoqiao in high school. You guys were really good friends at one time, but later, you grew distance because you went to different schools. You’re always moving forward. After you start SHUFE, you’ll meet a lot of new people, and you’ll meet some boys.”

His voice carried a warm smile. “Pang Pang, when you’re in college, dating isn’t unusual. If there’s someone that you like, you should try to see where it takes you. Maybe in a few months, you’ll have a boyfriend and you won’t want to see me anymore.”

His words were very strange, and Pang Qian felt extremely depressed hearing them. Her mouth was faster than her brain, and she’d already started saying, “I won’t! Gu Mingxi, if you like another girl, you have to be sure to tell me!”

Gu Mingxi, “…”

Pang Qian’s face reddened. Gu Mingxi said, “Alright, we’ve already talked for a long time. I’m handing up. Pang Pang, when you get to Shanghai, set up your phone and message me your number.”

“Oh.”

“Then I’ll hang up, bye.”

“Bye.” Pang Qian still couldn’t bear to hand up the phone. Her eyes were red. She asked the shop boss, “How much?”

The boss glanced at their screen, “18 dollars.”

A very expensive long-distance phone call, but Pang Qian didn’t feel it was a waste at all as she handed the money over.

Because she’d finally found Gu Mingxi.

At the end of August in 2003, Pang Qian went to Shanghai to register. Pang Shuisheng and Jin Ai’hua went with her. The K train took two and a half hours to get to Shanghai. Then they got onto a shuttle bus arranged by the school and made their way to the campus.

Seeing the school gates for the first time, Pang Qian felt a bit disappointed. SHUFE was such a renowned school, so how come it didn’t look impressive at all?

Pang Qian dragged her luggage onto the campus. The school was located in the middle of the city, and the area wasn’t very large. There was green grass and trees providing shade. Along the way, she saw a building that looked ancient with a very Shanghai style.

Pang Qian and her parents were very busy that day. They took care of all the admission papers. Before returning to her dorm, she insisted on going to the mobile store to set up a sim card.

She stuffed the card into her Motorola phone and turned it on. When the screen appeared, she immediately wanted to call Gu Mingxi to let him know her number in Shanghai.

But he’d actually turned off his phone.

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of useRead Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 73 Distance Between North and South
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 73 Distance Between North and South
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 73 Distance Between North and South
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

Mingxi, I told you a long time ago. Qian Qian doesn’t like you.

In the faraway Z City, Gu Mingxi and his mother were busy setting up their new house. They went to the building supplies market and the furniture store. Li Han wanted to get the house set before Gu Mingxi started school.

Because of his body’s limitations, Gu Mingxi rarely carried his phone when he went out. Most of the time, his phone was turned off, lying inside the drawer of their rental apartment.

Sometimes he would think of Pang Qian. What was she doing right now? Was she also preparing for school? Gu Mingxi had grown up in E City. He’d spent 19 years there, and now suddenly, he was here in this foreign northern city. When he imagined spending the next four years there, or even longer than that, he couldn’t help feel lost.

He was a boy from the southern region, more suited to the weather and food there. He even spoke with such a warm tone. Gu Mingxi didn’t dare to ask Li Han if it was possible to move back south after he graduated. He was worried she would use Pang Qian as an excuse to scold him.

When they got on the train, Li Han had told him, “Mingxi, I told you a long time ago. Qian Qian doesn’t like you.”

After two months in Z City, Gu Mingxi felt that life was extremely dull and boring. Especially when they had been living with his grandmother. His mother seemed like she was just depending on others.

Li Han left her home more than 20 years ago. The few times that they’d visited, they’d stayed in fancy hotels. At the time, all her family and friends saw that she was living well in E City. Even if her son was disabled, everyone still envied her. But now, she’d gotten divorced and dragged her disabled son back to her hometown. The gazes and criticism she received were as you would expect.

Gu Mingxi’s grandparents were already more than 70 years old. They weren’t in the best physical condition, and they were worried about their daughter, so they naturally welcomed her return. As for Li Mu, who lived with and took care of the two elderly folk, he didn’t feel the same.

Li Mu was Li Han’s younger brother. He didn’t have a great educational background, so he was a security guard at a building. His wife, Huang Lingli didn’t work. And their son, Li Shiyu was 16 years old, about to start high school. Li Han’s parents’ home was rather small, with only two rooms. Li Shiyu had always slept in the living room, with a curtain to divide the space.

Many years ago, Li Mu had told Li Han that she was always away and had left him to take care of their parents, so she should give him some allowance. He wanted to sell off his parents’ house and asked for some money to buy a new three bedroom home. Then Li Shiyu would be able to have his own room.

Li Han discussed it with Gu Guoxiang, but he refused. His reason was that they already sent 10 thousand dollars every year, which was enough. Their parents’ property would all be handed down to him later too. Him wanting to change houses wasn’t Li Han’s responsibility.

Because of this, Li Mu and Li Han had quarreled for quite some time.

After she divorced and brought her son back home, she wanted to buy a house as soon as possible. Knowing that her sister had brought along some money, he wanted to ask about it again.

Li Han had 650 thousand with her, which was her divorce settlement. At the time, homes in E City were pretty cheap, with just a 5 thousand dollar down payment for one floor. It was even cheaper in Z City, one floor for 3 thousand. Li Mu cried in front of his sister, and when Li Han and Gu Mingxi slept on the floor at her parents’ home, she personally saw her brother’s hardship. Thinking back to how Gu Mingxi had grown up wearing name brand clothing, whereas her nephew Li Shiyu only had clothes from the market and couldn’t even buy a new pair of shoes when his broke, Li Han felt terrible.

She picked out some of Gu Mingxi’s more gently-worn summer clothes to give to Li Shiyu. She even said that in a few days, she’d buy a pair of new shoes and some clothes for him. In the end, she agreed to help Li Mu. He wanted to get a new house, and Li Han helped cover 80 thousand of the cost.

Actually, she’d thought it over herself. She would get old in the future. If she helped Li Mu a bit now, his family would also be able to help Gu Mingxi in the future.

After Gu Mingxi and Li Han returned from getting building supplies and furniture, he suddenly remembered that he hadn’t checked his phone in a long time. He immediately went to pull it out of the drawer.

Gu Mingxi sat on his bed and turned on his phone with his toes. A short while later, several unread messages popped onto his screen. With a pen in his mouth, Gu Mingxi bent over to click on the small phone buttons. He opened up the text messages and noticed they were from an unsaved number.

>> Gu Mingxi, why did you turn off your phone?! It’s Pang Qian. This is my new number in Shanghai. Make sure to save it.

>> Turn on your phone and call me. A text is fine too.

>> Gu Mingxi, are you unable to text?

>> Why don’t you turn on your phone?! Where did you run off to?!

>> It’s late, I’m going to sleep. This is my first night at school. My dorm room is for four people. It’s very clean, but there’s no bathroom. My roommates are very nice. Two of them are from Shanghai, and one is from Fuzhou. We even chatted for awhile before sleeping. One of the Shanghai girls is really funny. I really like her.

>> When my parents left, I cried, but I didn’t let them see. Gu Mingxi, I’m all alone in Shanghai now. I was thinking that if you were also here, that would be so great.

>> Alright, that’s enough. It’s time for lights out. I miss you. Goodnight.

Those were from the previous day. She’d sent more than twenty texts total. Gu Mingxi had been silently reading them all, when he finally grabbed his pen and started to send a reply.

>> Pang Pang, I’m sorry. I’ve been busy these past few days. I just saw your messages.

This was the first time he was sending a text. The buttons on the phone were really small, and Gu Mingxi had tried pressing them with his fingers before, but it was too much trouble. So he just used a pen to press the buttons. Now he’d learned this way of sending messages.

His phone quickly sounded in response. Pang Qian was calling. Gu Mingxi turned his head and moved the phone to his ear. He immediately heard Pang Qian’s excited voice. Pang Qian happily relayed how school was going in detail. Gu Mingxi couldn’t help but remind her, “This is a long distance call.”

“It’s okay! My dad gave me a lot of money to recharge it. Later, I’ll send you the number for the dorm. When you start, send me yours too. I’ll go buy an IP card (internet phone?) to call you, and then it will be cheaper!”

Just when Pang Qian finished speaking, another girl’s voice sounded in the background. “Crab, let’s go eat.”

“Okay, I’m coming,” Pang Qian turned to the side to say.

Gu Mingxi laughed. “You’ve only been at school for a day, and they’re already calling you Crab?”

“I don’t know why either, I never told them about it.” Pang Qian scratched her head and suddenly said, “Gu Mingxi, hurry and send me your address. Otherwise your present will expire.”

“Expire? Is it food?”

“No. But just hurry and send me your address.”

Gu Mingxi thought for a moment, and then told her the address to his grandparent’s house. He said to just address it to his mom, because he’d probably have to ask her to pick it up from the post office.”

Pang Qian happily agreed. “No problem!”

A few days later, Li Mu received the parcel notification from the post office. In a sucking up manner, he asked Li Han if she needed help to pick it up. Li Han was busy discussing the pricing for the house construction and decoration, so she agreed

When she returned to their rental apartment, Gu Mingxi said, “Mom, remember I told you last time that Pang Qian would be sending a package to grandma’s house. When are you going to check? I think it should have arrived by now. Can you help me pick it up from the post office?”

Li Han said, “Oh, it’s already arrived. Your uncle went to get it.”

Gu Mingxi was very excited, “Then that means it’s already at grandma’s house?”

Li Han replied casually, “Mm. We’ll be going over in a few days for dinner. You can pick it up then.”

Two days later, Li Han and Gu Mingxi went to her parent’s house for dinner. She asked Li Mu about the package.

Li Mu thought for a moment, and then said, “I left it on the table after I brought it back.” He went to look for it, but found that it was gone. Gu Mingxi watched him anxiously. Li Mu asked Huang Lingli and then went to ask Li Shiyu who was watching TV. “Son, have you seen the package I brought back and left on the table?”

Li Shiyu stood up and said, “Yeah, I saw it. It was for Aunt.”

Li Mu asked, “So where’s the package?”

Li Shiyu said, “I opened it.”

Gu Mingxi’s face immediately darkened.

Li Mu asked him a bit awkwardly, “If you opened it, then where’s the stuff?”

Li Shiyu pulled at the t-shirt he was wearing. It was a white Nike shirt with a light yellow and gray pattern on the front. He chuckled and said, “I’m wearing it. Aunt bought it for me, right? It looks good, but it’s just a bit too big.”

Gu Mingxi asked coldly, “Was there anything else in the package?”

Li Shiyu looked at him and thought, then said, “I think there was a card.”

Gu Mingxi stared at him, “Where is it?”

“I threw it away with the box,” Li Shiyu said indifferently.

Gu Mingxi suddenly took a step forward. Li Han grabbed him by the waist, and he clenched his teeth. After he calmed down, he lowered his head without saying a word.

Li Han whispered into his ear, “I’ll buy you another one that’s exactly the same. Stay calm.”

Gu Mingxi turned away and heard Li Mu and Li Shiyu’s conversation.

He was praising his son. “It really is a good brand. Our son looks great wearing it, much better than your cousin Mingxi.”

Li Shiyu said very pleased, “I’m going to play basketball tomorrow. I’m wearing this!” He glanced over at Gu Mingxi, and then his eyes landed on his empty shirtsleeves. He suddenly smiled and asked, “Oh yeah, Gu Mingxi, who’s Crab? Your girlfriend?”

“Where’s the card?” Gu Mingxi had been silent, but hearing those words, he couldn’t help asking.

“I said I threw it away.” Li Shiyu looked at him, raised his head and laughed.

Gu Mingxi’s shining eyes stared at him. Li Shiyu stared back, feeling extremely happy.

He really hated his cousin. He hated him so much.

– – – –

From translator: The author posted this at the end of her Ch.73 update (when she was originally writing this), presumably because some of her readers were getting butthurt that she wasn’t writing the story that they wanted. Personally, I appreciate that our leads are getting some time apart, because I always wanted to see what they would do without the other always by their side– Anyway, I felt the following was worth sharing.

Words from the author:

Let me say a few things about the story. Because the outline for this story was very detailed, when I was writing, I was also very calculative. My old readers will know that I won’t ever let a story run off course. But there are times when, inevitably, a writer’s intent and a reader’s expectations are contrary to each other. I welcome you to guess how the story will unfold, but I won’t give out spoilers. I know that everyone is waiting for the reunion, for the sweetness. But I haven’t even gotten to the real reason that they’ve separated yet, so it wouldn’t be suitable to write a reunion here.

In order to disperse any misunderstandings, I felt that I had to write a few words. Part 3 is indeed a bit tormenting, but it won’t be without any sweetness. I promise that (1) I won’t bring harm to the female lead, and (2) I won’t bring physical harm to the male lead. I can’t be too specific. All I can say is, please trust me that no matter what Gu Mingxi must suffer, he will remain strong inside.

As for Gu Guoxiang, I promise that I will write a reasonable ending. Not for the sole purpose of making him suffer, but he definitely won’t simply be joyous and happy. But that’s something that will come in the end.

Also, part 4 will be just as sweet as the beginning.

I suspect that a lot of girls will stop reading the text and wait until part 4 starts. But I want to say that if you don’t suffer through the pain of part 3, how can you understand the sweetness that comes for Gu Mingxi and Pang Qian in the end?

Of course, you’re free to do as you please. I will continue to write according to my plans. I only hope that if you’re going to stop reading, that you do so quietly. You don’t need to tell me about it. I will maintain the integrity of this story.

Actually, from the start, I was a writer who torments. But because my stories have happy endings, everyone feels that those tormenting parts are bearable (?). This is the same thing. All of Gu Mingxi’s past experiences become his fortune in the future.

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of useRead Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 74 A Tale of Two Cities (1)
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 74 A Tale of Two Cities (1)
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 74 A?Tale of Two Cities (1)
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

A long distance relationship? I don’t think it will work out.

In the past years, Li Shiyu and Gu Mingxi had only met a few times. Although they were cousins, their relationship wasn’t much different from two strangers.

Ever since Li Shiyu could remember, he’d known that his aunt was a great beauty. She married and moved to the southern E City. His uncle had a decent job and his family qualifications were good. They also had a son. Unfortunately, his cousin had an accident when he was 6 years old, and he became a crippled child.

The first time Li Shiyu saw Gu Mingxi, he was really startled. At the time, he was just 8 years old and Gu Mingxi was 11 years old. That was the first time Gu Mingxi had come to visit his grandparents after his accident. When they saw their grandson, their grandparents cried until their voices were hoarse. The other members of their family were much the same.

During those few days, everyone had pampered Gu Mingxi. When they ate, the adults would keep giving him food. Even Li Shiyu’s favorite chicken legs were handed over to Gu Mingxi.

Li Shiyu watched quietly from the side as Gu Mingxi ate and cleaned up with his feet. When his grandparents gave him some stationary, he used his feet to flip through it as well.

Li Shiyu didn’t really dare to speak to Gu Mingxi. Every time that Li Mu told him to go play with Gu Mingxi, he would just turn on the TV and watch a random show together. He didn’t know how to interact with Gu Mingxi. Subconsciously, all he could think about was that this cousin of his was rather different than himself.

Under Li Han’s request, Gu Mingxi even put on a demonstration for their relatives, writing and drawing. His writing was very beautiful. When someone asked if Gu Mingxi could keep up in class, Gu Guoxiang would say lightly, “Mingxi is always top three in his year. He’ll definitely be able to get into a top university in the future.”

The ordinary student with scrawly handwriting, Li Shiyu was pissed. Just seeing Gu Mingxi writing, he would turn to the side and say a few belittling words.

Li Shiyu’s great dislike for Gu Mingxi emerged when Gu Mingxi was taking the high school entrance exams. Li Han called to give her family happy news that he’d gotten into a top high school. His score even placed him 5th in the entire year. Li Shiyu’s grandparents and parents immediately admonished Li Shiyu, with Gu Mingxi as an example of what he should be like.

Gu Mingxi lost his arms when he was young, and with his two legs, he was able to get such good grades. You have arms and legs, so why can’t you do a good job studying?

13 year old Li Shiyu retorted to Li Mu, “Gu Mingxi has a rich dad! His clothes are all name brand! His family has a big house! His dad even has a car! We don’t have any of that! What makes you think I should be a good student?!”

Li Mu was furious and couldn’t stop himself from slapping Li Shiyu. Li Shiyu started to cry. Disagreeing with this, Huang Lingli immediately pulled her son into her arms and said to Li Mu, “Xiao Yu didn’t say anything wrong! You don’t have any ability either! If you want to compare Xiao Yu to Gu Mingxi, why don’t you go compete with brother-in-law!”

The two parents started quarreling, and in the end, hits were exchanged.

In many families, the root of all family conflicts was one word, money.

– – – –

Gu Mingxi followed Li Han back to their rental, and he was still in a bad mood. He washed his face and went to bed early.

He laid on his bed for a long time, and then got up. Gu Mingxi bit onto a pen and sat down at his desk and wrote Pang Qian a text.

>> Pang Pang, I got your gift. I like it, thanks.

A little later, Pang Qian’s reply came.

>> Does it fit?

>> It fits pretty welll.

>> When I come to visit next summer, you’d better wear it for me to see!

Gu Mingxi bent his head and responded, “Okay.”

>> Gu Mingxi, when do you start school?

>> There’s still another week.

>> We’ve been doing military training these few days. I’m dead tired.

>> I also have to participate in the training, but it should probably be a lot easier for me.

>> Oh yeah, Gu Mingxi, I’m going to buy a computer. It will be in the dorm. Then we can chat.

>> Okay.

>> Ah, I have to go.

Gu Mingxi was startled when she said she was busy. He wanted to ask why she needed to go out when it was already past 9. But in the end, he didn’t ask and just responded, “Mm.”

He lied back in his bed again, staring at the ceiling, in a daze. This rental was near B University, and it was about a ten minute walk to the school. This place was just a bit more than 30 sqm. One bedroom, one living room, one kitchen, one bathroom. Li Han added a bed in the living room. They planned to spend the next half a year there.

This was a very simple and crude house. It really was a peasant’s house. The walls were stained by the leaking rain, the furniture was tattered, the closet door was nearly broken, the windows were covered in a layer of dirt and probably hadn’t been washed in years. In the hot summer, Gu Mingxi had seen cockroaches and mice, and the corners of the rooms were filled with cobwebs. In the past, he’d never thought that he would live in a place like this one day.

That day, Gu Mingxi was feeling rather down. He let out a sigh and decided not to think about unhappy things. Just sleep early.

Pang Qian ran down to the first floor of the dorm and saw Sheng Feng waiting there for her.

“Sheng Feng? What is it?” Pang Qian asked.

She and Sheng Feng were in the same major and year. They had just started military training and most people didn’t know each other yet. But since Sheng Feng was also from E City, when they had breaks, he and Pang Qian would often chat together. And so, they naturally grew closer.

— “You’re from First High? I’m from Vast Voyage.”

— “Do you know Wu Min? Ah, we went to the same junior high. He’s at Beihang now.”

— “What about Wang Song? You guys were in the same class too? What a coincidence. Wang Song and I were from the same primary school. We got along really well.”

— “He’s dating, I know. He and his girlfriend both got into Nanjing. What was his girlfriend’s name… Something Xiaoyan. Ah! That’s right, Li Xiaoyan!”

— “Yesterday I called Wang Song, and he told me that your nickname is Crab.”

Sheng Feng wasn’t very call, just barely 170 cm tall. He wore a pair of glasses and looked very intellectual, but his gaze always carried an air of arrogance.

When Pang Qian walked up to him, he handed her a stack of papers. “You’re buying a computer the day after tomorrow, so you should look over these configurations first. Then you won’t be fooled when you go to pick one out.”

Pang Qian took the papers and looked at them. It looked to be different computer configurations, each with a pricing underneath. Sheng Feng even wrote down the pros and cons of each setup.

Pang Qian looked at him, “When did you put this together?”

Sheng Feng said, “Yesterday afternoon, I went to look around at the computer store. I found a few places that fit your price range and got a list of their specs.”

Pang Qian felt very apologetic. She just occasionally mentioned that she wanted to get a computer, and then Sheng Feng said that he’d go to the computer store with her on Sunday. When Pang Qian told Pang Shuisheng about it, he agreed. It wasn’t convenient to buy it in E City and then move it to her, so she might as well buy it in Shanghai.

“Ah, thank you. I’ve troubled you too much.” Pang Qian looked at the papers in her hand and Sheng Feng smiled. “No problem. Then I’ll get going first. Take your time looking through it, and if there’s something you don’t understand, feel free to call me.”

“Mm.”

“We’re going to the computer store the day after tomorrow. Don’t forget.”

“Mm.”

Sheng Feng’s left hand was stuffed into his pants pocket and he waved at Pang Qian with his right. “Goodnight, Crab.”

Pang Qian took the papers and headed back up. After hearing about it, her roommate Yang Lu said with a giggle, “It’s really obvious. Sheng Feng is pursuing you.”

Pang Qian made a face 囧 (embarrassed emote). “How could that be! I only met him a few days ago!”

Yang Lu said, “You underestimate these boys whose biological hormones were destroyed by high school life. When they get to college, they’re just like male dogs, running around a girl’s ass.”

“Oh come on.” Pang Qian couldn’t take Yang Lu’s analogy. “I don’t intend to date anyway.”

“Why not? Sheng Feng’s not bad.” Yang Lu didn’t understand. “Crab, do you already have a boyfriend?”

Pang Qian didn’t know how she should respond. She thought for a moment, and then said, “There is a boy. We grew up together. Originally, we agreed to come to Shanghai together, but in the end, he went to another city. There were times that I thought that after we got here, we would start dating, but maybe we’ll only be able to come this far, unable to reach that last step. Right now, we’re in two different cities, and he hasn’t really said anything to me. I’m not really sure what I feel for him right now either. Next summer, I’m going to visit him. After I see him, I’ll probably know what kind of existence he has in my heart. Maybe at that time, we’ll be together.”

Yang Li bit on her lollipop and shook her head. “A long distance relationship? I don’t think it will work out.”

“Really?” Pang Qian looked at her suspiciously. “It’s just four years, and we can see each other before then.”

“You’re too naive,” Yang Lu said. “If I were you, I would definitely consider Sheng Feng. A long distance relationship really isn’t reliable.”

Pang Qian pursed her lips, without a word.

Two days later, Sheng Feng went to the mall with Pang Qian to buy a computer. She spent 5200 dollars. Pang Qian offered to buy lunch, and he happily agreed.

When they were eating, Sheng Feng tested the waters with Pang Qian. She pretended she didn’t see the signs, and since Sheng Feng was a smart person, he could see her reaction. He immediately retracted his questions so that the two of them wouldn’t become awkward.

– – – –

Gu Mingxi finally started school. Li Han went with him to take care of the special admission procedures. He was studying software engineering, which was considered a popular major at B University. But Gu Mingxi didn’t tell Li Han that he didn’t actually like this major.

He didn’t live in the dorms. Every day, he woke up in the rental house, washed his face and ate breakfast, and then put on his backpack and headed to class. After morning classes, he didn’t have to go eat in the cafeteria, and he just returned home to eat lunch and rest. It was the same in the afternoon. The students in his class all treated Gu Mingxi politely, and they help him with things when needed. But in this time, Gu Mingxi hadn’t made any new friends. Everyone was just merely an acquaintance. He was very lonely in his classes. A few students would speak among themselves, that since he was disabled, his personality naturally became a bit reclusive.

Gu Mingxi was aware of this problem as well. He wasn’t an entirely introverted person, but he could never talk to the people in his class. He was all alone in this place. Most of the people around him were all from the northern regions. Gu Mingxi tried to interact with people in his classes before, but they’d always just reply courteously.

This was a two-sided problem. Gu Mingxi wasn’t willing to open himself up to people, so how could people try to understand him? Moreover, Gu Mingxi didn’t live in the dorms. Everyday, outside of class, he spent his time in the rental house. So there were few chances for him to make friends.

Li Han asked Gu Minxgi how things were at school. Gu Mingxi always reported the good and never the bad. He’d always say, “It’s going well.”

But in truth, he didn’t have any friends.

He gradually became a loner. Every day, he carried his backpack and walked silently to school. Except when it was raining. Then Li Han would send him to school with an umbrella and pick him up after class. Gu Mingxi was exempt from physical education and an elective class. He could even choose not to go to evening study class. The class head didn’t even notify him about class events anymore. Essentially, his existence became a very particular one.

In the next few months, he and Pang Qian didn’t have much contact. One, because it wasn’t convenient. Two, because Pang Qian was always busy. Three, because Gu Mingxi felt that he didn’t know what to talk about with Pang Qian.

Pang Qian got a computer, so she went online. But Gu Mingxi lived in a rental and there. Pang Qian’s college life was very colorful and rich. She always told Gu Mingxi excitedly about where she went to play, what new clothes she’d bought, what movies she’d watched, what events she’d gone to… She was in Shanghai, the brilliant and colorful metropolis. How could she not be doing lots of things? How could she be as bored as him?

Z City was a very, very small city. Gu Mingxi would go to class every day. Then when the weekend came, he would follow Li Han to her parent’s house for dinner. Then they would check out the progress on their new house.

Other than that, he didn’t go anywhere.

It was with this stagnant life that Gu Mingxi welcomed the first midterm exams. But his results were contrary to all expectations. This outstanding student, who had gotten into B University with a 641 entrance exam score, actually failed many of his classes.

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of useRead Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 74 A Tale of Two Cities (1)
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 74 A Tale of Two Cities (1)
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 74 A?Tale of Two Cities (1)
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

A long distance relationship? I don’t think it will work out.

In the past years, Li Shiyu and Gu Mingxi had only met a few times. Although they were cousins, their relationship wasn’t much different from two strangers.

Ever since Li Shiyu could remember, he’d known that his aunt was a great beauty. She married and moved to the southern E City. His uncle had a decent job and his family qualifications were good. They also had a son. Unfortunately, his cousin had an accident when he was 6 years old, and he became a crippled child.

The first time Li Shiyu saw Gu Mingxi, he was really startled. At the time, he was just 8 years old and Gu Mingxi was 11 years old. That was the first time Gu Mingxi had come to visit his grandparents after his accident. When they saw their grandson, their grandparents cried until their voices were hoarse. The other members of their family were much the same.

During those few days, everyone had pampered Gu Mingxi. When they ate, the adults would keep giving him food. Even Li Shiyu’s favorite chicken legs were handed over to Gu Mingxi.

Li Shiyu watched quietly from the side as Gu Mingxi ate and cleaned up with his feet. When his grandparents gave him some stationary, he used his feet to flip through it as well.

Li Shiyu didn’t really dare to speak to Gu Mingxi. Every time that Li Mu told him to go play with Gu Mingxi, he would just turn on the TV and watch a random show together. He didn’t know how to interact with Gu Mingxi. Subconsciously, all he could think about was that this cousin of his was rather different than himself.

Under Li Han’s request, Gu Mingxi even put on a demonstration for their relatives, writing and drawing. His writing was very beautiful. When someone asked if Gu Mingxi could keep up in class, Gu Guoxiang would say lightly, “Mingxi is always top three in his year. He’ll definitely be able to get into a top university in the future.”

The ordinary student with scrawly handwriting, Li Shiyu was pissed. Just seeing Gu Mingxi writing, he would turn to the side and say a few belittling words.

Li Shiyu’s great dislike for Gu Mingxi emerged when Gu Mingxi was taking the high school entrance exams. Li Han called to give her family happy news that he’d gotten into a top high school. His score even placed him 5th in the entire year. Li Shiyu’s grandparents and parents immediately admonished Li Shiyu, with Gu Mingxi as an example of what he should be like.

Gu Mingxi lost his arms when he was young, and with his two legs, he was able to get such good grades. You have arms and legs, so why can’t you do a good job studying?

13 year old Li Shiyu retorted to Li Mu, “Gu Mingxi has a rich dad! His clothes are all name brand! His family has a big house! His dad even has a car! We don’t have any of that! What makes you think I should be a good student?!”

Li Mu was furious and couldn’t stop himself from slapping Li Shiyu. Li Shiyu started to cry. Disagreeing with this, Huang Lingli immediately pulled her son into her arms and said to Li Mu, “Xiao Yu didn’t say anything wrong! You don’t have any ability either! If you want to compare Xiao Yu to Gu Mingxi, why don’t you go compete with brother-in-law!”

The two parents started quarreling, and in the end, hits were exchanged.

In many families, the root of all family conflicts was one word, money.

– – – –

Gu Mingxi followed Li Han back to their rental, and he was still in a bad mood. He washed his face and went to bed early.

He laid on his bed for a long time, and then got up. Gu Mingxi bit onto a pen and sat down at his desk and wrote Pang Qian a text.

>> Pang Pang, I got your gift. I like it, thanks.

A little later, Pang Qian’s reply came.

>> Does it fit?

>> It fits pretty welll.

>> When I come to visit next summer, you’d better wear it for me to see!

Gu Mingxi bent his head and responded, “Okay.”

>> Gu Mingxi, when do you start school?

>> There’s still another week.

>> We’ve been doing military training these few days. I’m dead tired.

>> I also have to participate in the training, but it should probably be a lot easier for me.

>> Oh yeah, Gu Mingxi, I’m going to buy a computer. It will be in the dorm. Then we can chat.

>> Okay.

>> Ah, I have to go.

Gu Mingxi was startled when she said she was busy. He wanted to ask why she needed to go out when it was already past 9. But in the end, he didn’t ask and just responded, “Mm.”

He lied back in his bed again, staring at the ceiling, in a daze. This rental was near B University, and it was about a ten minute walk to the school. This place was just a bit more than 30 sqm. One bedroom, one living room, one kitchen, one bathroom. Li Han added a bed in the living room. They planned to spend the next half a year there.

This was a very simple and crude house. It really was a peasant’s house. The walls were stained by the leaking rain, the furniture was tattered, the closet door was nearly broken, the windows were covered in a layer of dirt and probably hadn’t been washed in years. In the hot summer, Gu Mingxi had seen cockroaches and mice, and the corners of the rooms were filled with cobwebs. In the past, he’d never thought that he would live in a place like this one day.

That day, Gu Mingxi was feeling rather down. He let out a sigh and decided not to think about unhappy things. Just sleep early.

Pang Qian ran down to the first floor of the dorm and saw Sheng Feng waiting there for her.

“Sheng Feng? What is it?” Pang Qian asked.

She and Sheng Feng were in the same major and year. They had just started military training and most people didn’t know each other yet. But since Sheng Feng was also from E City, when they had breaks, he and Pang Qian would often chat together. And so, they naturally grew closer.

— “You’re from First High? I’m from Vast Voyage.”

— “Do you know Wu Min? Ah, we went to the same junior high. He’s at Beihang now.”

— “What about Wang Song? You guys were in the same class too? What a coincidence. Wang Song and I were from the same primary school. We got along really well.”

— “He’s dating, I know. He and his girlfriend both got into Nanjing. What was his girlfriend’s name… Something Xiaoyan. Ah! That’s right, Li Xiaoyan!”

— “Yesterday I called Wang Song, and he told me that your nickname is Crab.”

Sheng Feng wasn’t very call, just barely 170 cm tall. He wore a pair of glasses and looked very intellectual, but his gaze always carried an air of arrogance.

When Pang Qian walked up to him, he handed her a stack of papers. “You’re buying a computer the day after tomorrow, so you should look over these configurations first. Then you won’t be fooled when you go to pick one out.”

Pang Qian took the papers and looked at them. It looked to be different computer configurations, each with a pricing underneath. Sheng Feng even wrote down the pros and cons of each setup.

Pang Qian looked at him, “When did you put this together?”

Sheng Feng said, “Yesterday afternoon, I went to look around at the computer store. I found a few places that fit your price range and got a list of their specs.”

Pang Qian felt very apologetic. She just occasionally mentioned that she wanted to get a computer, and then Sheng Feng said that he’d go to the computer store with her on Sunday. When Pang Qian told Pang Shuisheng about it, he agreed. It wasn’t convenient to buy it in E City and then move it to her, so she might as well buy it in Shanghai.

“Ah, thank you. I’ve troubled you too much.” Pang Qian looked at the papers in her hand and Sheng Feng smiled. “No problem. Then I’ll get going first. Take your time looking through it, and if there’s something you don’t understand, feel free to call me.”

“Mm.”

“We’re going to the computer store the day after tomorrow. Don’t forget.”

“Mm.”

Sheng Feng’s left hand was stuffed into his pants pocket and he waved at Pang Qian with his right. “Goodnight, Crab.”

Pang Qian took the papers and headed back up. After hearing about it, her roommate Yang Lu said with a giggle, “It’s really obvious. Sheng Feng is pursuing you.”

Pang Qian made a face 囧 (embarrassed emote). “How could that be! I only met him a few days ago!”

Yang Lu said, “You underestimate these boys whose biological hormones were destroyed by high school life. When they get to college, they’re just like male dogs, running around a girl’s ass.”

“Oh come on.” Pang Qian couldn’t take Yang Lu’s analogy. “I don’t intend to date anyway.”

“Why not? Sheng Feng’s not bad.” Yang Lu didn’t understand. “Crab, do you already have a boyfriend?”

Pang Qian didn’t know how she should respond. She thought for a moment, and then said, “There is a boy. We grew up together. Originally, we agreed to come to Shanghai together, but in the end, he went to another city. There were times that I thought that after we got here, we would start dating, but maybe we’ll only be able to come this far, unable to reach that last step. Right now, we’re in two different cities, and he hasn’t really said anything to me. I’m not really sure what I feel for him right now either. Next summer, I’m going to visit him. After I see him, I’ll probably know what kind of existence he has in my heart. Maybe at that time, we’ll be together.”

Yang Li bit on her lollipop and shook her head. “A long distance relationship? I don’t think it will work out.”

“Really?” Pang Qian looked at her suspiciously. “It’s just four years, and we can see each other before then.”

“You’re too naive,” Yang Lu said. “If I were you, I would definitely consider Sheng Feng. A long distance relationship really isn’t reliable.”

Pang Qian pursed her lips, without a word.

Two days later, Sheng Feng went to the mall with Pang Qian to buy a computer. She spent 5200 dollars. Pang Qian offered to buy lunch, and he happily agreed.

When they were eating, Sheng Feng tested the waters with Pang Qian. She pretended she didn’t see the signs, and since Sheng Feng was a smart person, he could see her reaction. He immediately retracted his questions so that the two of them wouldn’t become awkward.

– – – –

Gu Mingxi finally started school. Li Han went with him to take care of the special admission procedures. He was studying software engineering, which was considered a popular major at B University. But Gu Mingxi didn’t tell Li Han that he didn’t actually like this major.

He didn’t live in the dorms. Every day, he woke up in the rental house, washed his face and ate breakfast, and then put on his backpack and headed to class. After morning classes, he didn’t have to go eat in the cafeteria, and he just returned home to eat lunch and rest. It was the same in the afternoon. The students in his class all treated Gu Mingxi politely, and they help him with things when needed. But in this time, Gu Mingxi hadn’t made any new friends. Everyone was just merely an acquaintance. He was very lonely in his classes. A few students would speak among themselves, that since he was disabled, his personality naturally became a bit reclusive.

Gu Mingxi was aware of this problem as well. He wasn’t an entirely introverted person, but he could never talk to the people in his class. He was all alone in this place. Most of the people around him were all from the northern regions. Gu Mingxi tried to interact with people in his classes before, but they’d always just reply courteously.

This was a two-sided problem. Gu Mingxi wasn’t willing to open himself up to people, so how could people try to understand him? Moreover, Gu Mingxi didn’t live in the dorms. Everyday, outside of class, he spent his time in the rental house. So there were few chances for him to make friends.

Li Han asked Gu Minxgi how things were at school. Gu Mingxi always reported the good and never the bad. He’d always say, “It’s going well.”

But in truth, he didn’t have any friends.

He gradually became a loner. Every day, he carried his backpack and walked silently to school. Except when it was raining. Then Li Han would send him to school with an umbrella and pick him up after class. Gu Mingxi was exempt from physical education and an elective class. He could even choose not to go to evening study class. The class head didn’t even notify him about class events anymore. Essentially, his existence became a very particular one.

In the next few months, he and Pang Qian didn’t have much contact. One, because it wasn’t convenient. Two, because Pang Qian was always busy. Three, because Gu Mingxi felt that he didn’t know what to talk about with Pang Qian.

Pang Qian got a computer, so she went online. But Gu Mingxi lived in a rental and there. Pang Qian’s college life was very colorful and rich. She always told Gu Mingxi excitedly about where she went to play, what new clothes she’d bought, what movies she’d watched, what events she’d gone to… She was in Shanghai, the brilliant and colorful metropolis. How could she not be doing lots of things? How could she be as bored as him?

Z City was a very, very small city. Gu Mingxi would go to class every day. Then when the weekend came, he would follow Li Han to her parent’s house for dinner. Then they would check out the progress on their new house.

Other than that, he didn’t go anywhere.

It was with this stagnant life that Gu Mingxi welcomed the first midterm exams. But his results were contrary to all expectations. This outstanding student, who had gotten into B University with a 641 entrance exam score, actually failed many of his classes.

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of useRead Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 75 A Tale of Two Cities (2)
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 75 A Tale of Two Cities (2)
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 75 A Tale of Two Cities (2)
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

Then quit! Come and be my school junior!

His counselor went to find Gu Mingxi to talk about it, but in the end, she didn’t get a reason. Then she called Li Han, saying that she thought the drop in his grades was a temporary thing. After all, college studies was a lot more work than high school. Gu Mingxi just wasn’t adapted to college life yet.

Li Han finally realized that her son was acting unusual. She waited for her son to return home so that they could have a talk. All this time, Gu Mingxi had been considering something, weighing his options. When Li Han pressed him about his situation, he finally found the courage to say it.

“Mom, I asked the professors about changing majors, but they all refused. They said that if you want to change majors, you have to take the exam in June. Also, the entrance score for the major you want to transfer to must be lower than the one for the major you started out in. No one’s ever transferred to a more competitive major. But the two majors I’m interested in both have higher entrance scores than the one I’m in now. So even if I score high enough on the exam, the school wouldn’t agree to the transfer.”

Li Han was stupefied. “Change majors? Why do you suddenly want to change majors? Software engineering isn’t good?”

“I kind of dislike it.” Gu Mingxi’s gaze was a bit stubborn. He said, “I never once thought about studying software engineering. I’d even rather study English over studying software engineering.”

Li Han said, “Son, it wasn’t easy for you to get into college. B University is already taking good care of you. Four years later, you might even get recommended for post-graduate studies. That’s not a bad academic history to have. Or maybe you’ll be able to get a good job first.”

Gu Mingxi persisted, “Mom, I’m not going to school for a diploma. I really want to learn things, to study the things I’m interested in. Then I’ll be able to find a job doing something I enjoy.”

“This is the way things are now. You don’t like software engineering, but the school won’t let you change majors. What do you plan to do? Are you planning on failing all your exams?” Li Han was a bit angry. “Mingxi, you didn’t used to cause trouble like this before!”

“I want to quit school.” Gu Mingxi looked at Li Han’s expression. He said, “I want to quit school, Mom. I think that it’s not too late if I do it now. I want to take the college entrance exams again. There’s still half a year. I can get into a good school. What’s important is that, even if it’s a tier-2 school, I just want to be able to choose my major.”

Li Han looked at him dumbfounded. “You’ll be 20 years old at the next entrance exams. Then you won’t graduate until you’re 24!”

“If I continue studying like this, it will waste even more time,” Gu Mingxi said. “I don’t want to work in software engineering at all. Why would I study it?!”

Li Han looked at him for a little, then asked him coldly, “You want to go to school in Shanghai?”

“…” Gu Mingxi nodded his head. “Mm, I want to study in Shanghai.”

Li Han stood still, and said only three words, “I don’t agree.”

At the start of December, there was a big snowfall in Z City. There was no rain mixed in at all, so it quickly piled up on the ground.

Gu Mingxi couldn’t stand wearing covered shoes outside, so Li Han bought him a pair of padded shoes, the kind that old men word. Thick, boorish, but easy to put on and take off. She also made him warm open-toe socks. Gu Mingxi didn’t try to oppose it and just obediently wore it and went to class.

He would enter the classroom, wrapped up in a thick jacket. He sat down in the last row and shrugged off his backpack. Then he lifted his left foot to pull down the zipper and take off the coat.

Gu Mingxi sat near the heater. The school didn’t arrange for a special seat for him because the students often changed classrooms in college. They just left Gu Mingxi to adapt to it on his own, and so he used a regular desk just like all the other students.

This made it difficult for him to write.

Gu Mingxi’s backpack was on the floor. He lowered his head and stuck his feet into his bag to pull out his class’ notebook and writing utensils. After a moment, he decided to just give it up.

During the class lecture, he just sat there zoning out. All the computer engineering jargon became more and more unfamiliar and more and more incomprehensible to him. Gu Mingxi looked at his two feet on the desk. His toes were all red. A few days ago, Li Han had been uncomfortable, so Gu Mingxi had scrubbed and washed his clothes for several days with his feet. The water was bone-chilling. His feet immediately became frostbitten, all ten of them.

That day, with the warm air blowing, his feet felt extremely itchy. It only got a little better when Gu Mingxi rubbed his two feet against each other.

His and Li Han’s new house had already completed all arrangements. Li Han said they would leave it vacant for another month and then move in before (Chinese) New Year’s.

Li Mu also had his eye on a three bedroom house. It was new. He’d already put his old house on the market and soon, people came to ask about it. Li Mu and Li Han discussed and decided that they had to sell the old house first, in order to have the money to buy the second house. And then it would take some time to prepare the house for living. It would take about half a year from the time they bought the house to when they could move in. During that time, he was hoping that he and his wife and son, and his parents, would be able to stay awhile at Li Han’s new house.

Li Han found this difficult, having so many people move into the new house. And for half a year at that. No matter who you asked, they would find it uncomfortable. She discussed it with Gu Mingxi and he said, “It’s fine if Grandma and Grandpa come to live with us, but why can’t Uncle and his family just rent a house in the meantime, like we’re doing now?”

Li Han didn’t know how to respond. From Li Mu’s words, he’d said that Li Han and Gu Mingxi had spent nearly two months staying at their house, so it wasn’t unreasonable for them to all stay at Li Han’s new place for a short while.

Li Han said, “Your uncle doesn’t make much money, and every month of rent is several hundred dollars.”

After being depressed for a bit, Gu Mingxi said, “If you want to allow it, I don’t have any problems. But I’m not going to live there. I’d rather just stay in this rental.”

One afternoon, as Gu Mingxi was returning from class, he slipped on a patch of frozen snow and fell.

It was a pretty impressive fall. His chin hit the ground and ended up with a wound.

With his blood dripping onto the snow, it was a shocking sight. Gu Mingxi struggled to get back on his feet. Since his jacket was thick and his sleeves were padded, the passersby didn’t find anything abnormal about his physical condition. Slipping and falling on ice was a common sight, so no one offered to help him.

Gu Mingxi turned his neck and rubbed his tingling chin onto his shoulder. His nose and ears had turned red from the cold. He sat cross-legged on the ground and struggled to put his backpack back on. Then when he stood up, he realized his ankle had been twisted.

He limped back to the rental house. Li Han wasn’t home. She’d probably gone to the new house. Gu Mingxi sat by the furnace to warm up his feet. Afterwards, he went to the bathroom to wash his face and feet.

When he saw the mirror, he saw the the blood on his chin had already started to clot. The wound was about 1 cm long. Gu Mingxi looked at himself in the mirror and laughed a self-deprecating laugh.

He returned to his room and texted the class head. He said he wanted to take the afternoon off and not go to class.

The class head quickly replied, “No problem.”

Gu Mingxi was the only student in their class who could just take time off at a whim without an official request for leave.

Li Han had some food, but Gu Mingxi didn’t have an appetite. He sat on his bed for awhile and then suddenly wanted to call his father.

A 19 year old boy, in this moment of confusion, would naturally want to ask his father for help. Even if his father had already hurt him, in this moment, Gu Mingxi remembered that it was Gu Guoxiang who had reprimanded and taught him time after time.

After he arrived in Z City, out of consideration for his mother’s feelings, Gu Mingxi had never called Gu Guoxiang. After the phone call connected, his father’s calm and familiar voice rang in his ear. Gu Guoxiang asked, “Hello, who is this?”

Gu Mingxi called out quietly, “Dad.”

“Mingxi?!” Gu Guoxiang was surprised. “Mingxi! Is it you?”

“Mm, it’s me,” Gu Mingxi said. “Dad, are you well?”

“I’m great. What about you, are you and your mother doing well?” Gu Guoxiang said, “I watched the weather report, and Z City already had several snowfalls. Is it very cold over there? Are you used to it?”

“It’s alright.” Gu Mingxi thought for a moment, and then asked, “Dad, has the baby been born?”

When it came to this question, Gu Guoxiang’s feelings were very complicated. A flash of joy crossed his mind and he really wanted to share about it. But when he recalled he was talking to his disabled, elder son, he felt that saying this to Gu Mingxi might pain him.

He responded simply, “Mm, (she’s) already born. It hasn’t been a month yet.”

“Is it a boy or a girl?”

“A girl, 3.4 kg.”

“What’s her name?”

Gu Guoxiang said, “Her name is Gu Ziyue. Zi with mu and xin components, and yue with a wang radical.”

Gu Mingxi smiled. “Dad, congratulations.”

Gu Guoxiang was stupefied, and his eyes immediately watered.

He asked, “Mingxi, how are your studies? Are you adapting well to school?”

Gu Guoxiang didn’t hide it from him. This was the reason he called in the first place. “It’s not going well. It’s nothing else, but I don’t like this major.”

Gu Guoxiang heard that his tone sounded strange, and asked, “What’s the matter?”

Gu Mingxi opened his lips. As he as about to start telling his father about it, a baby’s cried suddenly sounded in the background.

Gu Guoxiang immediately said, “Ah, Xiao Yue, don’t cry. Mingxi, let me calm the baby first. I’ll call you back when I have time. Is this your cellphone number?”

“Yes.”

“Then I’ll hang up first. Remember to take care of yourself.”

Gu Guoxiang hung up the phone. Gu Mingxi loosened his cheek and the phone fell with a pa! onto the bed.

He sat down again and made another call.

“Hello, Gu Mingxi?” Pang Qian asked, her voice carrying a smile. “I was just about to text you. I’m about to have a nap. Did you eat yet?”

He lied, “Yeah.”

“I had braised pork and cabbage today. Later, they also had sweet and sour pork ribs. Ugh, so hateful! You don’t know how delicious our cafeteria’s sweet and sour pork ribs are!” Her voice cracked a bit there. “Wait a second. Let me get onto my bed.”

Pang Qian slept on the top bunk. After she climbed up, she pulled closed her curtains. After she curled up inside her blankets, she went back to the phone, “Is it cold over there? Did it snow?”

“Mm.”

“Be careful, and make sure you don’t get frostbite on your feet. Make sure you wear proper shoes when you go out!”

He smiled, “I know.”

“Gu Mingxi, recently, you haven’t texted me much. Are you really busy?” Pang Qian asked. “You’re not dating, are you?”

“How could that be. No, I’m not.” Gu Mingxi’s voice was light. “I’m just… a bit busy with school.”

“Gu Mingxi.”

“Mm?”

“Are you in an bad mood?”

“…” Gu Mingxi was silent a bit, then said, “Pang Pang, I fell down while I was walking today.”

“Did you hurt yourself?” Pang Qian cried out, “Aiya, it’s snowing a lot over there, so the roads are slippery. Be careful when you’re walking! Does it hurt?”

“I scraped my chin and twisted my foot a bit.”

“…” Pang Qian asked, “Gu Mingxi, have you been disfigured?!”

He burst out laughing. “I’m fine. It’s just a small scrape.”

“You can still laugh? Rub some Yunan Baiyao (medicine) on your foot. Don’t be lazy.” Pang Qian held her phone and asked, “Gu Mingxi, are you unhappy? This whole time, I keep feeling like you’re unhappy.”

He thought for a moment, then said, “Pang Pang, if I were to quit school right now and take the entrance exam again next year, would it be very strange?”

“Ah?!” This question was a lot crazier than a sprained foot. Pang Qian asked, “What’s wrong? Is someone bullying you? Are you unhappy with your studies? Or… You don’t like your major?”

She really understood him. Gu Mingxi said, “I don’t like this major. Moreover, it’s already been a semester but I haven’t made any friends. Every day is really boring. There’s not even anyone to talk to.”

He hesitated a moment, then said, “I really miss you. And everyone else.”

Pang Qian, “…”

“You still haven’t answered my question. Do you think I could take the entrance exam again next year?”

Pang Qian seriously pondered the question, and then said, “Gu Mingxi, although your idea looks to be kind of strange and seems a bit unrealistic, but if you really don’t like your major at all, then I support you. I listened to your suggestion to study at this financial institute, and I’m really happy to be here. I really like this major. Thank goodness I didn’t listen to my mom to study law, engineering, or English… So if you want to take the entrance exam again, I’ll definitely support you. And I’m sure you’ll be able to get a high score.”

“Pang Pang,” Gu Mingxi smiled. “If you encourage me like this, I’m really going to quit school.”

“Then quit! Come and be my school junior!” She laughed. “This school senior will make sure to take care of you!”

The two of them both laughed. Then Pang Qian said, “If you’re bored, you can call me. You know my schedule. As long as I’m not in class, you can call me whenever.”

“Won’t I bother you?”

“Gu Mingxi, what’s with your words?” Pang Qian pouted. “In this world, aside from my mom and dad, you’re the closest person I have.”

After he hung up the phone, Gu Mingxi felt that he was in a much better mood. He was about to warm up some food when his phone started ringing again.

He looked down and saw an unfamiliar number. Before, he used his right shoulder to hold up his phone, but this time he changed to his left shoulder. He answered the phone and a loud greeting passed to him.

“Gu Mingxi? Is it you? It’s Zhou Nanzhong!”

Gu Mingxi was surprised but also happy. “Zhou Nanzhong?”

“Crab just sent me your number. This kid… Even if you go to Z City, you have to keep in touch. Leaving without a sound, and none of us even got to treat you to a meal and send you off. You’re just going to college, but you made it out like you were going to disappear forever. That’s not right!”

Gu Mingxi felt all warm inside. “Right, I was wrong. When I get a chance, I’ll treat you guys to a meal.”

“How are you getting along at B University?”

“Alright. What about you? You’re at Wuhan, right?”

“Yeah, for civil engineering. I’ll be working on construction sites later!” Zhou Nanzhong laughed. “If you get the chance to come to Wuhan, give me a call. We spent three years as brothers. Don’t just cut off relations!”

Not long after Zhou Nanzhong hung up the phone, Wang Song called. He and Li Xiaoyan were both studying at Nanjing University. They were both enjoying the sweet campus student life.

“Gu Mingxi, you rotten kid! I spent three years working as a cow and horse for you, and then you just disappear to college!” Wang Song gnashed his teeth in anger. “Good thing Xiao Qian sent me your number. You’re really too heartless!”

Gu Mingxi already had no words.

Wang Song said, “Oh yeah, I have to remind you about something. I have a primary schoolmate named Sheng Feng. We keep in touch, and this kid’s in the same class as Xiao Qian. He keeps pestering me about whether Xiao Qian has a boyfriend. I just directly let him give up on the idea. Gu Mingxi, I can only do so much. Whether or not you can hold onto Xiao Qian is up to you!”

After Wang Song hung up, he got a call from Jiang Zhiya.

“Gu Mingxi! Hey! How are you? Crab sent me your number. I didn’t believe it was your number and thought she was tricking me!”

Jiang Zhiya got into Zhejiang University of Media and Arts for broadcasting, a future host and presenter. After she spoke a few words to Gu Mingxi, she couldn’t help from crying.

“Why aren’t you together with Crab?! You’re the worst! I’ll only allow you to be together with her. If you want to get together with another girl, I don’t agree to it!”

Gu Mingxi couldn’t help from laughing until his shoulders shook.

Just then another call came, but Gu Mingxi couldn’t cut off this call. When Jiang Zhiya finished talking, he moved the phone next to his foot and took care of his missed call.

It was Xiao Yujing.

“Wang Song gave me your number,” Xiao Yujing said. “Gu Mingxi, are you well?”

“Alright.” Gu Mingxi asked, “What about you? Is Peking University good?”

“It’s fine. I just had a meal with Wu Min the other day, since he’s at Beihang. You came up in our conversation.”

“What did you say?”

“We just wondered if you were doing well or not.” Xiao Yujing giggled. “No one had any news of you. When Wang Song told me he had your number, I immediately called. You’re not in class right now, right?”

“No.” Gu Mingxi felt very touched. Then he asked, “How are you and Xie Yi now?”

“There’s nothing much. Sometimes we chat online and send emails,” Xiao Yujing said. “We’re just friends. I won’t get together with him.”

“Are you leaving the country in the future?”

“Yeah, definitely,” she answered evenly.

He smiled and said, “Good for you.”

Later, Gu Mingxi also got a call from Jian Zhe. He was at E University, studying environmental science. He told Gu Mingxi that Liu Hanlin was at Ningbo. He was in class now, so he’d call afterwards.

Aside from these classmates, Gu Mingxi also received texts from a lot of people, from all across the country. Some of those people already felt like strangers to him. Some of them were people who he’d probably remember faces for but might not be able to recall their names. But their text messages were all directed happily to him.

>> Gu Mingxi, it’s Sun Mingfang. Do you remember me? Crab gave me your number. I heard you were at B University. That’s great. Jiayou! When you come back, we should all go out together. We’re junior classmates, but we haven’t had a reunion yet.

>> Gu Mingxi, it’s Hu Tianli. I know that you always wanted to beat me up because I stole Crab away for two years! Hahaha… I’m studying for the entrance exam again. I really envy you guys for being in college already. You don’t know how hard I have it now!

>> Gu Mingxi, it’s Wu Min. This is my number. Stay in touch. If you’re free, come visit us in Beijing. We’ll all play games together!

>> Xiao Gu, Xiao Gu, it’s Ge Xiaozhuang! It’s me, Clam! I can finally contact you! When are you coming back to E City? Oyster took Pearl back home and got married. Shark and Crab are both in Shanghai now, and you’ve gone to Z City. I’m the only one left here! It’s so boring!

The entire afternoon, Gu Mingxi sat on his bed with his back against the wall. Because he was on his phone for so long, it had heated up a lot. Finally it ran out of battery and shut off.

He was the only one home. He felt that this was the day he’d spoken the most after arriving in Z City. One after another, the voices of his past classmates rang in his ear, and the images of their faces flashed across his mind.

He would have his head bent over to the left and then to the right. Then he’d be pressing the phone buttons with a pen in his mouth. His neck ached, but he felt extremely happy inside.

Gu Mingxi plugged in his phone to charge it. He struggled to turn on the phone, and then he quickly sent Pang Qian a text.

>> Pang Pang, thank you.

She quickly replied, “Just remember to take me out for a meal.”

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of useRead Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 76 A Tale of Two Cities (3)
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 76 A Tale of Two Cities (3)
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 76 A Tale of Two Cities (3)
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

Am I a very troublesome person?

Gu Mingxi and Li Han had a great big quarrel regarding quitting school. As more time passed, Gu Mingxi became more anxious. The college entrance exam wasn’t a simple matter, and he would have to study a lot for it. He would also have to go back to E City to register for the exam, which means that he would have to complete his withdrawal process by spring.

But quitting school required the agreement of the head of the family. Gu Mingxi had a difficult time convincing Li Han. She’d already thrown very ugly words at him, like selfish, lacking filial piety, not knowing one’s place, ungrateful, too great (“unreasonable”) aspirations…

Gu Mingxi was stressed from things he’d never experienced before, and during all this, Li Han even did some excessive and undue things. In order to dispel Gu Mingxi’s idea, when he asked for her help putting on a long-sleeved shirt, she refused.

Unable to put on his thermal underpants, Gu Mingxi ended up leaving for school in a single pair of thin pants. In the -10 C weather, his whole body trembled and his legs became numb. When he arrived at school, he couldn’t even lift his right leg.

When he returned home, Gu Mingxi was cold and hungry. He wanted to eat, but realized that there was no food in the kitchen. Li Han sat at the side watching TV as she knit with her glasses on. When she saw Gu Mingxi quietly return to his room, she got up and made him a bowl of noodles.

Delicious tomato and beef noodles with a poached egg on top.

Gu Mingxi knew that Li Han was telling him that if he left her, he wouldn’t be able to take care of himself. Although her method was cruel and extreme, Gu Mingxi realized what the problem was.

His mother had spend her entire life working hard and looking after him. In order to take care of him when she was younger, she even gave up the idea of having another child. When she entered middle age, his father had an affair and they divorced. His father remarried and had another child. But Li Han had never once thrown away Gu Mingxi. She didn’t push her sufferings onto her son or blame him for anything. She still worked hard to accompany him while he studied, to take care of his food. Gu Mingxi didn’t have arms, so Li Han took on all the house chores and never asked Gu Mingxi to help. And he’d enjoyed a peaceful life where he was fed and clothed.

But now, what was it that Li Han wanted?

She wasn’t young anymore. She’d grown old and suffered emotional wounds. She just wanted to return to her home, buy a house, and live out the rest of her life with her parents and her son. This place had her family and her old friends. Falling leaves return to their roots. Li Han had already retired. She didn’t want to leave this place again.

And Gu Mingxi’s physical condition meant that he would never be like other boys. He couldn’t just pick up and go to a new place all on his own. For him, that was a really difficult thing.

This was a very conflicting and prickly problem. Gu Mingxi sometimes did feel like he was being selfish and unfilial. But there were also times where he felt very wronged.

When he was on the phone with Pang Qian, she said, “Why don’t you finish and graduate and then come here for post-graduate studies?”

When Gu Mingxi didn’t respond, she bit her lip and continued, “When that time comes, even if your mom doesn’t come, it’s not a big deal. I can just keep studying too, and we can live together and I’ll take care of you.”

She was really very innocent. Gu Mingxi laughed and said, “How can I live with you?”

“Aren’t the rooms for post-graduate students two-person rooms?”

“Have you ever heard of a male and female living in the same room?”

“If we can’t live at school, then we can just rent a place off campus.” Pang Qian didn’t think there was a problem at all. “Rent a two bedroom place, one room for you, one room for me. I can take care of you, really. If you don’t like the food in the cafeteria, then I can cook for you. I’ll learn how to cook.”

“Pang Pang.” Gu Mingxi’s voice dropped. “Am I a very troublesome person?”

“Not at all.”

Gu Mingxi smiled. “Forget it, let’s not talk about it. I probably won’t be able to become your school junior. My mom won’t agree to me quitting school, so I can’t do anything about it.”

Pang Qian didn’t know how to comfort him either, but she really didn’t like to hear Gu Mingxi sound so crestfallen. She said, “Gu Mingxi, don’t be so discouraged. My dad always says that when the boat gets to the pier, it will go straight with the current (things will be alright in the end). Nothing can’t be overcome!”

“I know,” he said. “I realized that I’ve really turned into a mess recently.” He breathed out deeply. Then he said, “A year ago when we were studying for the entrance exam, I never thought that this was how college life would be.”

“Finals are coming soon. Work hard.”

He felt a bit guilty.

Pang Qian continued, “In another half a year, I’ll come to find you.”

“…”

“I emailed you some recent pictures. Did you see them?”

“Yeah, you’re very pretty now. You know how to dress up now.”

“Yang Lu taught me how to put on makeup. And she helps when I buy new clothes too, teaching me how to match clothes.” Pang Qian’s voice softened. “How come you’ve never sent me any picture? Don’t you have a computer? Why don’t you ever go online?”

Gu Mingxi chuckled and said, “I don’t have a camera or a webcam. And the rental house doesn’t have internet.”

“But Gu Mingxi, I haven’t seen you in almost half a year.”

He said, “Didn’t you say that you were coming in the summer? You’ll be able to see me then.”

January 2004, Li Mu sold off the old house and dragged his whole house along to Li Han’s new place. The grandparents lived in Li Han’s room, and Li Mu and his wife stayed in Gu Mingxi’s room. Li Shiyu slept on temporary bed in the living room. And Li Han and Gu Mingxi continued living in the shabby rental by B University.

When Li Mu went to pay the down payment on his new house, Li Han went along with him. She handed over 80 thousand and wished him well. Li Mu, once again, asked for more. He said that they didn’t have enough to cover the cost of renovations, and he wanted to borrow 5 thousand dollars from his sister.

Li Han lent him that money and had him write a promissory note.

That (Chinese) New Year, Li Han’s family all gathered at the new house for dinner. She and Li Mu also had an older sister named Li Chun. She married and moved to a district nearby Z City. That year, she brought her husband and daughter back for the family dinner.

Seeing their children and grandchildren together in this place, Gu Mingxi’s grandparents were very happy. Li Han, watching on at the scene inside her new home, was also touched to tears.

But she didn’t feel at all like she was the owner of this house. She and Gu Mingxi hadn’t lived a single day in this house, and when they finished dinner, the two of them would be heading back to their rental house.

The evening on the eve of the new year was very cold. The snow had piled up very thick. Li Han and Gu Mingxi walked on the road, wrapped in their thick coats. The sky was blooming with fireworks and the sounds of firecrackers were all around. Gu Mingxi silently looked ahead, slowly walking forward.

As the year came to an end, Gu Mingxi remembered the things that had happened in the past year.

His life had undergone enormous changes, and it felt as if he were dreaming. He was no longer that young and inexperienced youth sitting on the First High stands, and that gluttonous girl who loved smiling and playing was no longer by his side. He stood on the street in a small city in the north, breathing in the foreign air, the cold wind striking his face like daggers, hair disheveled and covering his eyes.

Gu Mingxi looked southeast into the distance. More than a thousand kilometers away. That’s where his girl was.

Gu Mingxi didn’t fail his final exams. After cramming up to each exam, he was able to coast on by, barely passing all his classes.

At this time, Gu Mingxi felt that his life was a big mess, but also calm like water. He wanted to cultivate an interest in software engineering. Since he couldn’t quit school, he should just do a good job. Spending so much time, effort, and money, he couldn’t really just sit in class daydreaming, day after day.

After the new year, Li Mu’s new house started renovations. By summer, they would move out. Thank the Lord. When that time came, Gu Mingxi and Li Han would also be able to move out of this rental house.

And when summer came, Pang Qian would also be visiting. When he thought of that girl, he always felt like smiling.

Gu Mingxi felt that his and Li Han’s bad luck would slowly pass. Gradually, he calmed down and got ready to study hard. But once again, misfortune struck.

One day in early May, Gu Mingxi returned home and knocked on the door. No one answered. He had to drop his backpack on the ground and pull out his keys with his foot, and then unlock the door.

“Mom–” He called out as he looked around the room. For seemingly no reason, his heart started to feel anxious.

The rental house was pitifully small, and you could see all around with a single glance. Gu Mingxi suddenly recalled the year he started junior high, when he stood at the entrance to the bathroom and saw Li Han lying in a pool of blood.

Gu Mingxi charged to the bathroom. No one. Then he checked the kitchen next to it, and immediately saw Li Han lying on the floor.

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of use
Read Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 77 A Tale of Two Cities (4)
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 77 A Tale of Two Cities (4)
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 77 A Tale of Two Cities (4)
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

Pang Pang, we’ll have a chance to meet.

A pot of soup was boiling on the stove, the liquid nearly gone. The vegetables already turned yellow. Gu Mingxi lifted his foot and turned off the fire. Then he kneeled down next to Li Han and called to her, “Mom! Mom!”

He leaned over and bit the back of Li Han’s shirt collar. Her whole body was soft and she didn’t have a response.

“Mom! Mom, wake up!” Gu Mingxi cried out again. Li Han still didn’t move. He was in a panic, but he didn’t want to keep randomly pushing at his mother. He ran back to the living room and found his phone to dial 120 (ambulance).

When he was giving them the address, Gu Mingxi’s eyes were watery and his voice was trembling, but he did his best to stop his tears from falling. He knew that at this moment, crying was the most useless thing to do. No matter what happened to Li Han, he was her only son and she was the closest person he had. What he needed to do was definitely not cry, but rather to take care of matters in a composed manner.

As he waited for the ambulance to arrive, Gu Mingxi quickly emptied his backpack and put in Li Han’s ID card, patient record card, wallet, etc. After a moment, he decided to call Li Mu. When he heard what happened, he became anxious and immediately said, “Don’t worry, I’ll be right over!”

A few minutes later, the ambulance came. The medical staff came to check Li Han and confirmed that she was unconscious. Then they lifted her out on a stretcher.

Li Mu hurried over on his motorbike and took Gu Mingxi to the hospital.

In the hospital’s emergency room, the doctor asked about Li Han’s condition in the past few days. Gu Mingxi said that she was often fatigued and her face was jaundiced. She would also throw up whatever she ate. A few days ago, she kept saying that her stomach felt bloated and it hurt. She also had a fever. After she took some fever medication, she slept and then seemed better. Neither of them felt anything was strange.

The doctor asked, “Has the patient ever suffered from a long-term illness?”

Gu Mingxi signaled for Li Mu to give the doctor Li Han’s patient card. He replied, “Eleven or twelve years ago, she suffered from Hepatitis A, but she recovered.”

The doctor nodded, “Alright, we’ll see.”

Two hours later, they received the results from the CT. The doctor called Gu Mingxi and Li Mu over with a somber expression. He told them that after initial testing, Li Han was found to have a tumor in her liver. It wasn’t yet clear whether this was benign or malignant. They would have to cut out a section for further testing. As it stands, it’s more likely to be malignant, and the doctor told them it would be best for the family to be mentally prepared. Based on the size of the tumor, if it was found to be malignant, this would be the intermediate stage of liver cancer.”

Gu Mingxi and Li Mu didn’t sleep at all that night. They waited in the hospital, but Li Han still didn’t wake. When the sky brightened, Li Chun rushed over from the neighboring district. She was a woman, so she was much more careful with taking care of Li Han than Li Mu. Gu Mingxi remained at his mother’s side, his head empty, feeling that this reality was too unreal.

Cancer– He’d never linked together that word with his mother before. Li Han looked very healthy. She was just 46 years old. If she dressed up a bit, she still looked like a dignified and beautiful middle-aged woman.

Gu Mingxi had even joked with her before, that if she wanted to find a boyfriend when they got to Z City, he wouldn’t mind.

“Just let me see if he’s a good person or not.” At the time, he and his mother were standing together, looking into the mirror. Once, he had to look up towards his mother, but now, her head was only as tall as his chin. He said, “Mom, you’re still very pretty.”

At the time, Li Han’s cheeks flushed and she grabbed her son’s waist. “I’m already old. Finding a boyfriend? My only wish is for you to graduate college well. The best would be if you went on to post-graduate studies and then find a good job, marry a good woman, and have a baby for me to help take care of.”

Everyone says that good things happen to good people. Li Han was definitely a good person. She was kind, gentle, and generous. As a woman, as a mother, as a sister, she was so good there were no words to describe it. When she used to work for the metals company, she was also pretty popular. When Gu Guoxiang had his affair, all the employees backed Li Han, and for that time, Gu Guoxiang was greatly criticized. In the end, Li Han had looked at the big picture and peacefully divorced. She left many women exasperated, but the men all gave her a thumb’s up for being so daring. Things would definitely go well for her in the end.

Gu Mingxi always felt that Li Han would find happiness in the end, that she would find a good partner and grow old in this little town. He never thought that death was already creeping up on her.

Li finally woke up in the afternoon. Seeing her sister and brother’s grave expressions, she had an idea already. When she found a chance, she and Gu Mingxi had a chat by themselves. She told her son not to hide it from her, to tell her what illness she had.

Gu Mingxi said, “Mom, they’re still testing. The results will be out in two days.”

“Is it cancer?” Li Han asked.

“Not necessarily.”

Seeing Gu Mingxi’s languished face, Li Han reached out to stroke his cheek. She smiled and said, “Don’t worry. I won’t die so easily. If I die, what will you do?”

Two days later, Li Han’s liver sample returned. It was malignant.

Li Chun and Li Mu discussed and decided to move Li Han to Z City’s best hospital for further diagnosis. The result was the same.

Those days, Gu Mingxi spent his days and nights with Li Han in the hospital. When the class head called him, he just said that his mother was sick in the hospital and he couldn’t go to class.

When Li Chun found out about this, she pleaded with Gu Mingxi to go to class. In her eyes, Gu Mingxi was still a child. When an adult was sick, what could a child do about it?

She said, “Your uncle and I (and our husband/wife) will take turns staying with her in the hospital. And there’s the hospital staff. You don’t have to worry.

In the end, it was Li Han who persuaded him to return to school. She said that it was almost time for final exams. She didn’t want to see him fail his classes again.

Gu Mingxi spent his time going between school, the rental house, and the hospital. He explain his family situation to his counselor and she arranged for some of the students in his class to help him with things, like the washroom and getting food.

After classes, Gu Mingxi hurried over to the hospital and stayed with his mother until visitation hours were over. Then he would return back to the rental.

Every evening, he would stay in the rental house alone. Gu Mingxi washed and dried his own clothes, boiled his own water, and occasionally cleaned up the washroom.

Living on his own, he inevitably came across difficulties. For example, the after boiling water, the kettle is very hot. Gu Mingxi had to sit in a chair and raise up his legs to pour the water into a thermos. One time, after he scalded his toes on the kettle, the full pot of hot water fell over. And although Gu Mingxi’s reactions were quick and he jumped away immediately, his foot was still burned by the spilling water, and several large blisters appeared on his foot.

He didn’t tell anyone else about this. He just popped the blisters and went to the pharmacy for burn medication.

After discussion with the doctor, the best route was surgical removal of the tumor. But her current situation was suitable for a surgery. She needed to undergo chemotherapy treatment first.

When her health improved a bit, they started chemotherapy. Li Han’s response to the treatment was very severe. She couldn’t eat anything, and she was dizzy, nauseous, and fatigued. After three days, she lost a lot of weight and her eyes sunk into her face.

At the same time, the money for her treatment fees were flowing out. Li Han’s retirement and insurance plan were tied to E City. When she went to Z City for treatment, she had to pay the full treatment amount first, and then she had to apply for reimbursement back in E City. Her bank card was with Gu Mingxi, and Li Mu kept urging Gu Mingxi to get the reimbursement taken care of since there wasn’t enough money to pay for Li Han’s treatment.

Li Han asked Li Mu if he could return a bit of the 50 thousand first. Li Mu spread his hands. All the money had been used to setup his new house. And he had a wife and son at home. He had to keep a bit in his savings.

Li Chun gave Gu Mingxi 10 thousand dollars, and some of Li Han’s old friends and relatives saw her and all helped with the financial need. If they gave less, it was one thousand, if they gave more, it was five thousand. In the end, they scrambled up another 20 thousand dollars.

Li Mu felt a bit troubled by it, so he immediately called for his wife to take care of Li Han. Since Huang Lingli didn’t work anyway, it would be like having a free caretaker.

And so, when Gu Mingxi went to visit his mother in the hospital, he often saw Huang Lingli eating things that were given by visitors – fruit, cakes, health products. If she didn’t finish eating them, she took them home. When she saw Gu Mingxi, she didn’t try to evade him, but said, “Your mom doesn’t have an appetite. If I don’t eat it, it will just go bad.”

She asked Gu Mingxi for money. She said it so pleasantly, that she would make Li Han chicken or fish soup. But in the end, all of that food ended up down into her and Li Shiyu’s stomachs.

“Your mom doesn’t have an appetite. She said she couldn’t eat it,” she said.

Seeing that Huang Lingli was personally taking care of Li Han, Gu Mingxi clenched his teeth and endured. Li Han was in the hospital for half a month when the doctor said she could go home. Then after a bit of time, she would return to the hospital for a checkup to see if she could have the surgery.

Gu Mingxi brought it up to Li Mu, about whether or not Li Han could stay in the new house. The rental house was really just too lousy, it wasn’t suitable for a sick person to live there. Li Mu said that it was possible. Li Han could stay in Gu Mingxi’s room, and then his family and Gu Mingxi could stay in the living room.

He pretended to be ignorant and refused to put out the money to rent a place. Gu Mingxi couldn’t argue with him about it, so he just brought his mom back to that rental house.

He felt that he was very useless, a good for nothing. Really. He never knew that he was so incompetent before. That was his mother’s house. There was a comfortable bed that they’d picked out after going through one after another at the furniture mart. The new house was bright and clean, and the air was fresh. But he couldn’t bring his mother back there to recover. Just because there were a lot of things that he needed Li Mu’s help with. Gu Mingxi didn’t have arms. After he left school, he realized that there were a lot of things in the world that were very inconvenient for him to do. A lot of the things related with the hospital were taken care of by Li Mu, Li Chun, and Huang Lingli. Even when Li Han was tired of laying down and wanted to sit up, Gu Mingxi was unable to help.

When they returned to the rental, Gu Mingxi had Li Han sleep on his bed. Huang Lingli came over during the days to take care of Li Han, and Gu Mingxi stayed with her at night.

Under these circumstances, Gu Mingxi really couldn’t concentrate during class. He simply couldn’t look at the books. When he went to the computer room, he just stared blankly at the screen.

He also hadn’t checked his phone in a long time. Every once in a while, he would turn it on and he’d received more than a hundred messages. Most of them were from Pang Qian.

Gu Mingxi was mentally and physically fatigued, but he bit onto his pen and replied back, “Pang Pang, don’t come up over the summer. My mom’s not well recently, so we’ll probably go somewhere else for her to see a doctor.”

Pang Qian immediately called.

She asked, “Gu Mingxi, is Auntie sick?”

He answered, “Mm.”

“What is it?”

“Nothing major, don’t worry.”

“I can go and visit her.”

“No need, really. It’s so far away, and if you come up, I won’t be able to hang out with you. Moreover, we really are going to go somewhere for a bit.” He patiently persuaded her. “Pang Pang, we’ll have a chance to meet.”

Pang Qian was silent for awhile, and then she finally agreed. She thought that if she really went over at this time, it would just be more trouble. She asked, “Gu Mingxi, why has your phone been off all this time?”

“I don’t usually have much free time. I’m either busy or out. Whenever my phone rings, I can’t immediately answer it. Don’t even mention replying to messages. Whenever the phone vibrates in my pocket, it really bothers me, so I don’t carry it around with me. You can understand, right?”

He sounded very sincere. Pang Qian quieted and finally said, “Yes.”

Gu Mingxi sighed, “Mm, that’s good then.”

After the final exams concluded, Gu Mingxi, once again, failed several courses. When his counselor came to talk to him, he finally said, “Teacher, I want to take a year off.”

Over summer break, Li Chun went along with Li Han and Gu Mingxi to the province’s capital, S City. Li Han was admitted to the province’s best hospital to prepare for surgery to remove her tumor.

Li Chun and Li Mu both needed to work. The half month before Li Han’s surgery, Huang Lingli went to the hospital to take care of her. After a bit of rest following the surgery, she returned to Z City.

During that time, there was only Gu Mingxi to stay with Li Han.

They rented a small place near the hospital. Li Han slept on her bed and Gu Mingxi slept on the floor.

Many years later, Gu Mingxi would recall this period of time, as if it had all been a dream. It was during that time that he learned to cut vegetables, cook, and wash dishes.

With his backpack on, he would go to the market, and when he saw something he wanted to buy, he’d ask the boss to weigh some into a plastic bag and put it into his backpack. He also hung a string around his neck to carry his wallet. Gu Mingxi let the bosses take out the money themselves and put in any change. No one would cheat him. Towards this kind of boy, most people would lend a helping hand. The boss who sold shrimp would always give him a bit of extra shrimp. The boss who sold vegetables would always give him an extra bunch.

When he returned home, Gu Mingxi started to wash the vegetables and cut them up with his two legs.

At first, he wasn’t very good at cutting things with his toes. In fact, he nearly cut off his toes. But after doing it many times, he gradually became familiar with it, and now, he did a pretty decent job cutting.

Cooking wasn’t hard. The hard part was serving the food after it was cooked. Gu Mingxi could never figure out a way, and always had to ask Li Han to get up and help him.

A month after the surgery, Li Han had to undergo another two weeks of chemotherapy. So they never returned to Z City. From August to September, Li Chun, Li Mu, and Huang Lingli would come by every once in awhile to take care of Li Han. When Gu Mingxi was tidying up the hospital invoice, he realized that they’d already spent 250 thousand dollars.

They’d nearly used up his mother’s treatment money, but there were still follow-up treatments and medicine was expensive. Gu Mingxi decided he needed to figure something out.

After discussing with Li Chun, he packed up a bag and boarded a train back to E City. He wanted to go to the insurance to reimburse some of the costs of treatment, but he also wanted to go ask Gu Guoxiang for help.

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of useRead Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 78 Walk Down Memory Lane
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 78 Walk Down Memory Lane
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 78 Walk Down Memory Lane
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

She had a grumpy face the whole time. Tell me honestly, do you want to cut off relations with her?

Gu Mingxi was a somewhat introverted boy. But he was still prideful. Although he didn’t have arms, he always acted without embarrassment. He was always calm when he had to do things with his feet in front of others, and he didn’t care about others’ gazes. He would always do things that he could do on his own, and he would only ask for help as a last resort.

At the start, in school, how many people helped him with things? Moreover, he always had Pang Qian beside him on the way to and from school. Gu Mingxi rarely felt inconvenienced.

But now, he realized that he was too innocent at the time.

The sleeper rooms on the train were small and the restroom was cramped. In order to avoid using the restroom so often, Gu Mingxi just stopped drinking water. When he was hungry, he didn’t ask anyone to help make him instant noodles, and instead ate the bread he brought along. When his throat was was so dry it could catch fire, he finally took two sips of water.

Even so, he still needed to use the restroom. Gu Mingxi could only ask a male attendant to help him. The attendant accompanied him to the restroom, and the two of them squished into the small space. Gu Mingxi’s face went completely red as the attendant helped him urinate. When he was finished, the attendant washed his hands and asked him with concern, “Are you taking the train by yourself?”

Nod.

“Why didn’t you have someone come with you?”

Gu Mingxi smiled, “I’ll be fine on my own.”

The train attendant looked at his dry and cracked lips and said, “Kid, don’t misunderstand, but drink some more water. I saw that your urine was very yellow. It’s not good to treat your body this way. If you need the restroom, you can just come to find me.”

Gu Mingxi lowered his voice, “Thank you, sir.”

For the twenty hour long train ride, Gu Mingxi laid in the bottom bunk of the sleeper. The entire night long, he didn’t feel like sleeping. It was morning when he arrived to the E City train station.

The sky was just lighting up, and the temperature was still cool. Gu Mingxi wasn’t wearing much, so the cold breeze made him shiver. In the meantime, he didn’t have anywhere to go, so he just sat on a bench in front of the station.

He looked around the square. It had been more than a year now since he’d left. He left the city he’d spent the first 19 years of his life him. A year later, he’d come back, and while everything looked the same, the people had all changed.

Gu Mingxi sat there until 8:30 that morning, before he went to the public phone to call Gu Guoxiang. Gu Guoxiang already knew about Li Han’s matter, and he told Gu Mingxi to wait for him at the train station. He would drive over.

When Gu Guoxiang saw Gu Mingxi, he couldn’t believe his eyes. It had only been a year, but Gu Mingxi had actually changed so much.

In the past, he was a handsome boy. Tall stature, wide shoulders, not really thin. He had fair skin and clear eyes, hair cut short, and a smile was often on his lips. Gu Mingxi’s clothes were pretty elegant. All the girls at school had said he was handsome. If he’d had arms, he would have been one of the most popular boys.

But now Gu Mingxi, who was just 20 years old and in his prime, had become tanned and thin, languish and drab. Before, he’d been very attentive of his hair style, but now he’d cut his hair flat. His face was thin, his eyes were dark and dim. Staring at Gu Guoxiang with those eyes made him feel numb.

Gu Mingxi wore a white short sleeved shirt. After spending a night on the train, his clothes were all wrinkled and carried the slightly sour smell of sweat. He had on a pair of shorts, his legs bare, and a pair of flip flops on his feet.

Gu Guoxiang felt very bitter inside. This was his son. His formerly neat and handsome, even somewhat pampered son!

Gu Mingxi said, “Dad.”

His voice was hoarse. He couldn’t help to swallow. Gu Guoxiang was startled. “Get in the car and have some water. I have some mineral water in the car.”

Then he quickly took off his jacket and put it onto Gu Mingxi’s shoulders, and took his backpack from him. He said, “Why are you wearing so little? It’s nearly October. Why are you dressed like it’s the middle of summer?”

Gu Mingxi said, “It’s easier to do things with shorts on.”

“…” Gu Guoxiang looked at his short hair, and asked, “Why did you cut your hair so short?”

“It’s easier to wash.” Gu Mingxi smiled. “I wanted to shave my head, but Mom wouldn’t let me.”

“Your mom…” Gu Guoxiang pondered for a moment, then asked, “How is she?”

Gu Mingxi followed Gu Guoxiang to the car. Gu Guoxiang fed him half a bottle of water, and then Gu Mingxi told him about Li Han’s illness and treatment process. Gu Mingxi sat in the passenger seat, and when he finished his explanation, he turned his head to look at his father. He said, “Dad, can you give us more money? We might not have enough to cover Mom’s treatment costs.”

Gu Guoxiang held onto the steering wheel with both hands, looking forward silently.

He brought Gu Mingxi back to the New Gold Park and stopped the car. As they walked through the area, they would sometimes run into old neighbors or colleagues.

“Mingxi! Aiya, Mingxi’s home!” Auntie Qiu used to work in the same department as Li Han. Now, she’d retired and stayed at home to watch her grandchildren. When she saw Gu Mingxi, she was pleasantly surprised. After a moment, she grew suspicious. “Mingxi ah, why have you gotten so thin? And why have you gotten so tanned? Are you unused to the food in the north?”

Gu Mingxi slowed his steps and nodded. “Mm, I’m not used to the food.”

Auntie Qiu asked, “How’s your mom?”

“Alright.”

“Are you back for National Day?”

Gu Mingxi glanced at his father beside him and then nodded. “Yes.”

“You have a little sister.” Auntie Qiu looked at Gu Guoxiang, not at all unfriendly. She smiled and said, “Mingxi, hurry and graduate, get married, and have a baby. Your child can even go to school together with their little aunt!”

Gu Guoxiang’s face darkened. Not afraid of him, the retired Auntie Qiu started to hum as she walked away.

Gu Mingxi felt a bit awkward. Gu Guoxiang coughed and then lit a cigarette. He said, “Let’s go. We’ll go up and see your sister.”

Gu Mingxi had only lived in the New Gold Park for a year previously.

After Gu Guoxiang opened the door to the house, Gu Mingxi realized that the entire house had changed.

In the beginning, a lot of the furniture and decoration had been chosen by Li Han. But now, all of those things had disappeared. The simple yet elegant pastel-colored sofa in the living room was now replaced by a grand palace-style sofa. The floor was also covered with carpet. The originally round, dinner table had now become a white, long Western-style table. A small bar had even been set up in the corner of the living room.

Gu Mingxi had never seen that woman. Hearing the door open, she came out wearing a nightgown. With her fluffy hair loose behind her head and young face without makeup, she yawned and said, “Where did you go out so early in the morning?”

When she saw Gu Mingxi, her face immediately changed. Her eyes flitted over to his empty sleeved and laughed. “Oh, so this is Mingxi?”

And then she called towards the north-facing room. “Ms. Hou, bring my Xiao Yue out. Her brother’s come to see her.”

That’s when Gu Mingxi realized that the room arrangements had changed. The small south-facing room by the master bedroom had become the baby’s room. Inside was a pink crib, and the room was filled with toys. There were also countless boxes of milk powder and diapers.

The room Gu Mingxi had stayed in had become the nanny’s room. A 40 year old nanny came out with the baby. It was Gu Mingxi’s first time seeing Gu Ziyue. She was just 9 months old and she had a head full of dark hair. She was plump and cute. Her facial features looked like Gu Guoxiang. No wonder her father liked her so much.

Gu Guoxiang introduced Gu Mingxi. “This is current wife, Fang Hui. You can call her Auntie Fang.”

Gu Mingxi couldn’t say it. That woman looked too young. As he was about to open his mouth, Fang Hui said, “Don’t call me Auntie. It makes me sound so old. You can call me Linda.”

Gu Mingxi was silent for awhile. Then he sat down at the table and reached his legs into his packed bag. He pulled out a small lamb doll from his bag and raised his leg to put it onto the table. Then he said, “It’s the first time I’m meeting Xiao Yue, so I bought her a doll. Since she was born in the year of the sheep, I bought her a little lamb.”

Fang Hui’s expression immediately changed. She gave a cold laugh and said, “Thank you, Mingxi. But we’re not a superstitious family. We don’t believe in that nonsense about girls being born in the year of the sheep having difficult lives. Xiao Yue is very healthy. Her father and I like her very much. She’ll have a very safe and smooth life.”

Gu Mingxi was caught off guard. He said quietly, “That’s not what I meant.”

Fang Hui stood up and carried Gu Ziyue. She looked at Ziyue’s face and then she looked over at Gu Mingxi. She frowned and said to Gu Mingxi, “Your dad said that you and Xiao Yue looked alike, but I don’t think so. Ms. Hou, what do you think?”

Ms. Hou immediately responded, “Yes, Xiao Yue’s skin is much fairer.”

Gu Guoxiang was silent the whole time. Everyone sat on the sofa. Ms. Hou watched as Gu Ziyue crawled around on her play mat. Xiao Ziyue already crawled very quickly, and she quickly clamored over to Gu Mingxi’s foot. She sat on the ground and lifted her head to smile at Gu Mingxi. Then she reached out her fingers to play with Gu Mingxi’s foot. Just as Gu Mingxi pulled back his foot, Ziyue was already picked up by Fang Hui.

“Silly girl, your brother’s feet are dirty.” She placed Gu Ziyue on her thigh and turned to look at Gu Mingxi. “Mingxi, how long are you planning on staying?”

Gu Mingxi said, “I’m going home tonight.”

“Oh, and I was going to arrange a place for you to stay.” Fang Hui smiled. “You’re not a small kid anymore, so it wouldn’t be very convenient for you to stay here. Ah, that’s right, how’s your mother?”

Gu Mingxi explained briefly, and then Fang Hui shook her head and let out a sigh. “Cancer is very painful. Even if you spend more money on it, it’s no use.”

She was teasing Gu Ziyue in her arms, as she said, “Raising a child leaves you feeling bright. Raising the elderly leaves you loathing. Raising our Xiao Ziyue needs quite a bit of money, but this money is worth it. Mingxi, let me go over our accounts for you. Xiao Yue’s milk powder costs 1800 every month. Diapers are about 700, clothes 500. And then other food supplements, snacks, toys cost another 1000. Ms. Hou’s salary is 3000, and then there are classes that cost 200 per class. When she grows up, we’ll have to let her study piano and art. That all needs money! To put it in pleasant terms, your dad is a chief engineer, but actually he gets a fixed wage. Moreover, he’s going to retire in thirteen years. In that time, we’ll have to save enough money to send Xiao Yue to college, right? Ah… Mingxi, I’m worried about your mother’s illness as well, but to be honest… Even though I feel for you, it’s a difficult thing to ask of us. How about this. I’ll give you 20 thousand and you don’t have to return it. Use it to buy your mom some health products.”

After she spoke her part, what else did Gu Mingxi have to say? He just looked at his father silently. Gu Guoxiang lowered his eyes guiltily.

Fang Hui went into her dressing room and came out looking like a modern, hot mom. She really gave Gu Mingxi 20 thousand dollars and then pushed out the baby stroller. She called Ms. Hou to go out for some sun. Gu Guoxiang said, “Today, Mingxi’s come over to eat a bit. Let Ms. Hou stay and cook something.”

Fang Hui immediately said, “Xiao Yue has to go to the park for some sun every day at this time!”

Gu Guoxiang said, “Then why don’t you take her out.”

“When she gets to the park, she needs to be carried!”

“You can’t carry her?”

“I can’t carry her. Ms. Hou’s always the one to carry her.”

“Then what do we do about lunch?”

“You make it yourself, or you can order something.” When she finished, Fang Hui left with Ms. Hou.

Gu Mingxi said, “Dad, I don’t need to eat. I still have something to do in the afternoon. Can you take me downtown?”

“This afternoon?” Gu Guoxiang shook his head. “I’m sorry, Mingxi. In the afternoon, I have to go to a meeting. It’s very important.”

“…” Gu Mingxi thought for a moment, then said, “Then I’ll go by myself.”

He paused and then said, “Dad, it’s about time. I should go.”

Gu Guoxiang looked at him a bit, and then said, ” Let’s go, I’ll send you.”

He drove Gu Mingxi to the bank and took out Li Han’s bank card. He went to the counter and added 50 thousand dollars.

When he returned to the car, Gu Guoxiang handed the card back to Gu Mingxi. “I added 50 thousand for now. If your mom still needs money, you can call me. I can send a bit more.”

Gu Mingxi nodded, “Thanks, Dad.”

“Although what Fang Hui said didn’t sound very good, some of it is really true.” Gu Guoxiang pushed his glasses back up his nose. “Raising a child takes a lot of money. You can’t skimp with their food and clothes. Each month needs at least 10 thousand. And Fang Hui doesn’t work. Last year, I gave your mother 650 thousand, so I don’t have much left in savings.”

Gu Mingxi nodded again. “I know, Dad.”

“What time is your train back?”

“Tonight at 7.”

“I can pick you up and we can go out for dinner. And then I can send you to the train station.”

Gu Mingxi thought for a moment, and then shook his head. “No need. I can take care of it on my own.”

Gu Guoxiang drove Gu Mingxi back to the city and then he went back. Gu Mingxi carried his backpack, standing on the street and thinking for a long time. He went to the side and gave Pang Shuisheng a phone call.

Pang Shuisheng hastily hurried over from work. After he saw Gu Mingxi, he gave him a strong embrace. “Rotten kid! How did you get so tan!”

The two of them had lunch at a small shop. Then in the afternoon, Pang Shuisheng went along with Gu Mingxi to sort out Li Han’s insurance reimbursement. Gu Mingxi had prepared everything well, so the procedure went smoothly.

After things were taken care of, Pang Shuisheng invited Gu Mingxi over for dinner. Gu Mingxi hesitated for a bit, but finally agreed.

Once again, he returned to the Golden Compound. Rather than the luxurious but strange New Gold Park, this compound was the place that Gu Mingxi dreamed of and missed.

He saw that old bike shed where he and Pang Qian had often stopped at. Their two bikes were still locked up there, though they were covered in a layer of dust now.

The old guard, Old Ceng, was at the gate drinking beer. His hair was entirely white now. When he saw Gu Mingxi, he called out and smiled a toothless smile. “Mingxi’s home! But your Fattie’s in Shanghai!”

Jin Ai’hua still hadn’t returned from work. Pang Shuisheng pulled Mingxi to the table to chat. When he asked about Li Han’s illness, Gu Mingxi answered briefly and simply. Pang Shuisheng told Gu Mingxi to give him Li Han’s bank card number, and he would add 20 thousand dollars in a few days. But don’t tell Jin Ai’hua about it.

Gu Mingxi quickly refused. Pang Shuisheng pressed down on his shoulders and said, “You took care of Qian Qian so well in the past, and I still haven’t had the chance to thank you. Ten years ago, I would never have imagined that our foolish Pang Qian would be able to get into a top university and even study such a popular major.”

Gu Mingxi lowered his head. “Uncle, Pang Qian’s the one who helped me a lot.”

Pang Shuisheng lit a cigarette and then asked, “Did you tell Qian Qian about your coming back this time? Should I give her a call? You didn’t contact her during the summer, so she had a grumpy face the whole time. Tell me honestly, do you want to cut off relations with her?”

Gu Mingxi couldn’t help laughing. He said, “It’s true that I haven’t contacted her in a few months. And this time I came back, but I didn’t even bring along my phone.”

“Mingxi…” Pang Shuisheng looked at Gu Mingxi and his heart hurt terribly. He’d watched this boy grow into an adult. In the past, he’d never really felt that Gu Mingxi suffered much, probably because his family background was good, he wore brand name clothes, and he was an excellent student. But now, Pang Shuisheng looked at Gu Mingxi’s slightly lowered head, lackluster eyes, and the two empty sleeves hanging off his thin shoulders, and he could really feel a kind of uselessness, powerlessness, and helplessness exuding from his body.

Pang Shuisheng asked what Gu Mingxi was planning to do next. Gu Mingxi told him about his evening ticket back to Z City. Pang Shuisheng pat his shoulders and said he’d send him to the train station.

When Pang Shuisheng was cooking dinner, Gu Mingxi entered Pang Qian’s room. It had some slight changes. Those high school practice books on her bookshelf were replaced by several economics books and some best-selling novels.

Because she wasn’t at home, her desk had been tidied up by Jin Ai’hua. On her desk, there was a picture frame with an artsy picture of Pang Qian inside.

A large photo hang on the wall. In the photo, Pang Qian had shoulder-length brown hair and she was wearing a blue-green dress with a pair of heels on her feet. She had on pretty makeup and held a bouquet of white roses as she stood under the setting sun.

Golden light shined off her head. Because of the image editing, her skin was especially white and tender looking, her smile sweet and bright. Gu Mingxi stood in the center of her room and looked at the girl on the wall. That was his Pang Pang. She was already 19 years old. So lively and so beautiful. He imagined her walking down the tree-lined path at school, carrying her books in her arms, silently reading English. Occasionally she would lift her head, revealing a tranquil and satisfied expression.

She was living well in that flourishing city. And he, he’d already gone in the opposite direction to her.

That evening at 5:30, Pang Shuisheng sent Gu Mingxi to the train station.

When they were exiting the compound, he turned around and pointed at the four buildings. “They’re probably going to tear down this place.”

Gu Mingxi was taken aback, and he asked, “Why?”

“They’re building a large commercial center. Ah, over there.” Pang Shuisheng pointed to a nearby area, where the metals factory used to be. “The real estate prices here shot up. The land belongs to the metals company, but it seems like a developer has taken a fancy to it. They’re currently in negotiations about it. For us, tearing it down is good too. We’ve already lived here for more than twenty years. Later, we should just buy a great big house.”

Gu Mingxi turned to look at the Golden Compound under the sunset. Four six-story buildings stood there quietly. And there was that flower garden, that bike shed, the guard’s house… Apt. 501 and 502 were going to disappear. Did that mean that he and Pang Qian were also going to slip apart as well?

After Pang Shuisheng dropped off Gu Mingxi at the train station, he said a few words and then left. Gu Mingxi sat in the waiting room for half an house when he suddenly made a decision.

He went to the help desk and asked for a refund on his return ticket to Z City. Then he bought a different ticket to Shanghai.

The train was leaving in fifteen minutes. Gu Mingxi carried his backpack, his ticket in mouth, and ran over to the stop. Finally, sweat dripping down him, he got onto the train.

That night at 10 o’clock, Gu Mingxi stood at the front desk of Pang Qian’s dorm, covered in dust. He asked the dorm manager to help him call Pang Qian’s room. In the end, she wasn’t there.

Her roommate said that she’d gone to watch the basketball game.

Gu Mingxi had rushed over so he was still catching his breath. He stood near the entrance of the dorm and every single girl took note of him. Their faces all showed surprised expression, as they whispered to each other, talking about the boy without any arms.

Gu Mingxi walked over to a wall and dripped his bag to the floor. He rested with his back against the wall. His heart was beating quickly, his eyes fixed on the entrance. He waited quietly, waited for that girl to come back.

The last time he left, he hadn’t even met with her. This time, he thought, he definitely had to have a proper farewell with her. To smile slightly and tell her, Pang Pang, goodbye.

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of useRead Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 79 Be There or Be Square (Won’t Leave ‘Til I See You)
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 79 Be There or Be Square (Won’t Leave ‘Til I See You)
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 79 Be There or Be Square?(Won’t Leave ‘Til I See You)
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

Ey– Gu Mingxi, you stink!

When they exited the basketball venue, Sheng Feng turned to Yang Lu and winked. Immediately picking up on his signal, she pulled the other boy away and said that she wanted to go eat. Then the two of then walked off.

Four people had become two. Pang Qian concentrated on walking, and Sheng Feng caught up to her and said, “The basketball match was really exciting.”

“Ah? Really?” Pang Qian responded frankly, “Actually, I don’t really understand basketball. I just went to increase the fan count in the stands.”

“What about football/soccer?”

“I don’t really like it either. I don’t get it.” Pang Qian smiled. “I like ping pong.”

“I know, I’ve seen you play before. You’re pretty good.” Sheng Feng lifted his wrist and checked his watch. “There’s still some time. Do you want to go get a cup of milk tea? My treat.”

Pang Qian shook her head to Sheng Feng. “It’s okay. I still have to finish my homework for class tomorrow.”

Sheng Feng smiled slightly. “Then I’ll send you back to your dorm.”

In two more days, it would be National Day. When they returned to Pang Qian’s dorm, Sheng Feng asked her, “Are you going home for the long holiday?”

“Yeah.”

“Did you buy your tickets yet?”

“Not yet. I’m going to the train station tomorrow to buy them. I don’t have to worry about tickets back to E City.”

Sheng Feng said, “I haven’t bought them yet either. Do you want to go together tomorrow?”

Pang Qian looked at him a bit and then said, “Sure. I’ll call you later.”

It was already late night, and there weren’t many girls left on the first floor of the girls’ dorm and the lights were dimmed. A few girls were coming back with their books from the study rooms or the library. And there were some couples holding each other affectionately, unwilling to separate.

Sheng Feng’s face reddened a bit when he saw those couples. Standing in front of Pang Qian, he asked, “Do you have any plans for National Day? If you don’t, then we can hang out together. There are a few new attractions in E City that are supposed to be pretty good.”

“…” Pang Qian scratched her head. “That’s okay. It’s just a few days. I want to spend more time with my parents, and I have to visit my grandparents too.”

“Didn’t you just spend two months with them over the summer?”

Pang Qian couldn’t reply. Sheng Feng had been pursuing her for a year. Yang Lu and Wang Song had already told him Sheng Feng that Pang Qian already had someone she liked. He was somewhere else. But Sheng Feng didn’t believe that such a person existed at all.

Especially in the most recent half year. Even Yang Lu said that Pang Qian hadn’t hidden in her blankets to receive a call in a long time already. Normally, she didn’t text anyone or chat on QQ with anyone. She definitely didn’t video chat with anyone. In any case, it didn’t seem like this boyfriend existed at all.

Yang Lu once asked Pang Qian if she hadn’t planned to visit her boyfriend over the summer. So why didn’t she go? Then Pang Qian’s face turned sour.

Sheng Feng felt that Pang Qian and that boy were either on the verge of breaking up or they had already broken up. Regardless, to him, now was the best chance.

The wind was a bit chilly outside the dorm. Sheng Feng suddenly pulled the hood on the back of Pang Qian’s clothes and jokingly covered her head with it. The brim covered her eyes so she shouted out, “What are you doing?!”

“Be careful not to catch a cold.” Sheng Feng giggled and even pat her head. “Crab, when are you going to stop carrying your shell around me?”

“Have you ever seen a crab without a shell?” Pang Qian pulled her hood off and glared at him. Then she took a step back. Just then, some girls were returning from studying. As they walked past Pang Qian, one of the girls said, “Hey, did that boy have no arms?”

It felt like a bolt of lightening cracked Pang Qian’s head, with thunder ringing in her ears. Her heart suddenly started beating crazily. She turned back and saw someone leaning against the wall.

The distant street lights shined on him, causing a long shadow to extend on the ground in front of him.

From start to end, he didn’t try to hide. He just stood against the wall as he saw the girl and another boy walking in, talking and laughing. The boy also looked very gentle, and he even affectionately patted her head. His eyes were beaming, enough to reveal his thoughts.

Gu Mingxi didn’t know whether or not he should call out to her. So he didn’t say anything until Pang Qian turned and started towards him.

Gu Mingxi was surprised at the changes in Pang Qian. She’d died her hair and cut it fashionably with fringe. She also had on light makeup and she wore a loose purple sports hoodie and black pencil pants.

He originally thought that the photo he’d seen of Pang Qian in her room was prettier because it was edited, but seeing her in the flesh, Gu Mingxi realized that his Pang Pang had really become a slender and elegant young woman.

His back facing the wall, he took two steps forward. He tried very hard to smile towards her and said, “Hi, Pang Pang.”

Pang Qian’s eyes were already red. Hearing his voice, tears welled in her eyes. She ran over to him. In the surprised eyes of the boys and girls at the dorm, she spread her arms and rushed into Gu Mingxi’s body, hugging him tightly.

“Gu Mingxi–”

She exerted so much strength when she charged at him that Gu Mingxi nearly lost balance and he swayed a bit. She was already crying loudly into his chest. She cried with such hurt and pain, as if time and space hadn’t put a great distance between them, that there was no distance between them. All that existed as a deep longing and missing.

Gu Mingxi stood still, his heart touched. He could feel how strongly Pang Qian felt. How could he not? He couldn’t help lowering his head to lay his cheek onto her hair. Pang Qian suddenly turned her head to look up at him, sniffling with her face covered in tears. Her makeup was all messed up too. She sniffed and then said, “Ey– Gu Mingxi, you stink!”

Gu Mingxi’s face suddenly turned red. He’d spent an entire night on the train and it had already been two nights since he’d showered. He hadn’t shaved, and he hadn’t even properly washed his face. His body must have been soaked with smelly sweat. He leaned back and said quietly, “Let go. I’m really dirty.”

“I don’t want to!” Pang Qian buried her head in his chest again and tightened her arms. “Gu Mingxi, I missed you to death! You’re so heartless! Do you know how many calls and texts I sent you? Why don’t you turn on your phone! You gave me a cell phone, but you don’t turn yours on. What’s that supposed to mean?! (crying sounds…)”

Sheng Feng stood at the side and watched Pang Qian, stupefied. Truth be told, Pang Qian was a pretty extroverted and open girl, but it was still the first time Sheng Feng had seen her lose control of herself this way. She held onto that boy like an octopus. Sheng Feng looked carefully and saw that it really was a boy without arms. He really had a hard time accepting this. He couldn’t help calling out to her, “Crab.”

Pang Qian suddenly came back to her senses and remembered that she was at the bottom of the girls’ dormitory. She looked around with her red eyes and realized that everyone was really watching them. She wiped away her tears as Sheng Feng walked over beside them. Pang Qian pointed to Gu Mingxi and said, “This is Gu Mingxi. He’s… He’s… He’s my best friend.”

Then she pointed to Sheng Feng and told Gu Mingxi, “This is Sheng Feng. We’re in the same class.”

Her eyes were beaming, her face more vivid than ever. Sheng Feng could feel how excited Pang Qian was. He was someone who knew when to stop. He realized that there wasn’t anything appropriate for him to say at this point in time. This was a reunion of old friends for Pang Qian and Gu Mingxi. He smiled and gave a greeting, then he told Pang Qian, “See you tomorrow,” and left.

After he left, Pang Qian totally let go. She grabbed Gu Mingxi’s clothes and looked up at him. It had been a year since she’d seen him. She hadn’t even seen any photos. Seeing him now, just like with Pang Shuisheng and Gu Guoxiang, Pang Qian was startled by how dark, thin, and scruffy Gu Mingxi had become.

“Have you been digging up coal?!” Pang Qian even reached out to stroke his face. Her fingers brushed over the stubble on his chin. “Why have you gotten so thin?! Don’t you eat?! And you’re so tanned! Why did you cut your hair?! It doesn’t look good at all! Gu Mingxi, what are you doing here? Are you coming back for National Day? Are you coming back to E City?”

She asked a whole chain of questions, her eyes unable to leave his face. She started crying again. “I thought I wouldn’t be able to find you. I even told my dad that I would go to Z City over National Day to find you at school.”

Gu Mingxi smiled. “Don’t cry. I was just in E City to take care of some things. On the way back to Z City, I decided to pass by Shanghai. I wanted to come see you.”

“When are you going back to Z City?” Pang Qian immediately stopped crying and stared at him.

“Tomorrow…”

Without hesitation, she cried out, “Get a refund!”

“Ah?”

“Stay in Shanghai for a few days, Gu Mingxi. Please, don’t leave so fast.” Pang Qian tugged at his shirt and continued swaying side to side. “We’re on holiday the day after tomorrow. I have time, I won’t go home. I’ll stay in Shanghai so we can hang out. Our school has guest housing, and it’s very nice. If you think it’s not convenient to stay there on your own, I can stay with you…”

“Pang Pang,” he cut off her bold idea. “I’m sleeping over at Shark’s place tonight. I already contacted him.”

“Don’t go tomorrow…” Pang Qian’s voice choked. She grabbed onto his collar with hands. “Gu Mingxi, don’t go. Stay here for two more days, just two more days.”

Seeing her cry like this, he finally gave in. “Okay, okay, I won’t leave tomorrow. Don’t cry.”

A smile suddenly broke through Pang Qian’s tears, her eyes shining as she looked at him.

She walked him out to hail down a taxi. On their way out, she kept holding onto the hem of his t-shirt.

“Why do you keep pulling on my shirt?” Gu Mingxi asked.

“I want to!” Pang Qian pouted and kept swaying beside him. “Who told you to keep disappearing. I don’t want to let go. I’m scared that once I let go, you’ll just bang, and disappear in a puff of smoke.”

Gu Mingxi laughed gently. Pang Qian asked, “Gu Mingxi, has your mom gotten better?”

Now that his mother had been brought up, his heart suddenly grew heavy. He didn’t want Pang Qian to worry though, so he just said simply, “She’s a lot better.”

Seeing that he didn’t want to say more, Pang Qian didn’t ask any further. They’d already made their way to the school gate. Pang Qian said, “Gu Mingxi, tomorrow at 8:30 AM, let’s meet back here, okay?”

“Where do you want to go?” Gu Mingxi asked. “You don’t have class?”

“I don’t have class tomorrow morning. I’ll take you out someplace,” Pang Qian said. “Just promise. I’ll be waiting at the gate tomorrow at 8:30. Be there or be square.”

She stared at him until Gu Mingxi finally nodded, “I promise.”

“If you don’t come, I’ll be hit by a car on my way out!” She called out.

“Pang Pang!” Gu Mingxi frowned at her. “Don’t say nonsense.”

“I just want you to know that you have to come.” Pang Qian clutched onto his shirt tightly. She lowered her head, “Gu Mingxi, you must come.”

He looked at her silently, finally nodding again. “I’ll definitely come.”

Gu Mingxi took a taxi back to Shark’s place. Shark opened a barbecue place in Pudong District, and the business was pretty good. He also had a girlfriend who was living with him.

Gu Mingxi had been in touch with Shark the whole time. That night, the two of them who were finally meeting up again in a long time drank some dozen bottles of beer, and finally ended up sleeping on the floor of his living room.

At 6 AM, Gu Mingxi opened his eyes, lying on the freezing cold floor. He sat up and felt that his head was kind of itchy. He lowered his head and sniffed the sour smell from his body. That’s when he realized that he hadn’t bathed in a long time.

His never before sloppiness made him laugh. He looked around and saw Shark sleeping on his back beside him. Gu Mingxi stood up and pulled out a change of clothes from his bag. He piled the clothes onto his shoulder, then pulled out his back scratcher and walked into the bathroom.

In the mirror, he saw a young man with puffy eyes, greasy hair, stubble all across his chin, and a white t-shirt that was wrinkled like a pickle, after being worn for several days and nights.

Gu Mingxi took a deep breath as he looked at the image in the mirror. He sat down on the toilet lid, bent over, and pulled his shirt off from the collar with his toes. He leaned over the sink and brushed his teeth, washed his face, shaved, and then stepped into the shower before carefully washing. Then he changed into a clean pair of underpants, a sky-blue short sleeved shirt, and beige trousers. He stood in front of the mirror and looked at himself again. He finally felt very refreshed.

Shark’s girlfriend, Xiao Le, had already woken Shark up, and she was currently in the kitchen making breakfast for the two boys. Wearing just a pair of underpants, Shark ran over to the bathroom. When he saw Gu Mingxi, he quipped, “Ey, looking good.”

He put some gel into Gu Mingxi’s hair. “You going on a date with Little Crab today?”

“…” Gu Mingxi’s face reddened. Shark helped him pull up his hair and then neatened up his shirt. He said, “Kid, don’t think about your mom’s sickness for today. It’s been a long time since you’ve seen Little Crab, so just have fun. Be happy. Got me?”

He gave Gu Mingxi a strong pat on his back and then stuffed a few hundred bucks into Gu Mingxi’s pant’s pocket. “I should be acting as your host now that you’re here in Shanghai, but I can’t interrupt your date with Crab. So your activities today are on me. Don’t leave any money. Whatever Crab wants to eat or do, just go along with her.

Gu Mingxi just looked at him, but he didn’t refuse. He said, “Thanks, Shark.”

When he saw it was about time, Shark drove Gu Mingxi to the front gate of SHUFE.

It was 8:20 AM. The road in front of SHUFE was congested with cars and people were hurrying past. Pang Qian walked out from the school gates, feeling some ill at ease, when she suddenly heard a familiar voice.

“Pang Pang.”

She jerked her head back and saw his smiling face.

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of useRead Novels Online Free
Home  My Mister Ostrich  Chapter 80 Gentle and Cautious
MY MISTER OSTRICH
Chapter 80 Gentle and Cautious
Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter 80 ?Gentle and Cautious
Translated by Twelve_Months_of_May

Whether it was ten years ago, or ten years later, you didn’t forget to take me along in your dreams. Thank you.

Pang Qian happiled ran over to Gu Mingxi. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail, she wasn’t wearing any makeup, and she wore a simple pink t-shirt, jeans, and white sneakers. A small purse hung from her shoulder. She opened her hands for Gu Mingxi to see, “Look, I didn’t bring my phone. Today, no one will be able to bother us.”

Gu Mingxi said, “Don’t you still have class in the afternoon?”

“I’m a good student, and I don’t usually skip class. Nothing will happen if I skip just once.” She giggled. “I asked Yang Lu to help me ask for time off. It’s fine.”

Seeing a strange look in Gu Mingxi’s eyes, Pang Qian said, “Don’t look at me like that. I’m sure that you never skip class, but I’ll have you know, skipping class in college once in awhile isn’t a big deal.”

Gu Mingxi smiled and said, “Mm, I know.”

He hadn’t told Gu Guoxiang or Pang Shuisheng about him withdrawing from school, and he didn’t plan on telling Pang Qian. He’d only told Shark, who was understanding of his situation.

With regards to his future, Gu Mingxi was a bit confused. But more than that, he was too busy with other concerns. He was much more worried about his mother’s condition. This was the most important thing in front of him. The doctor said that Li Han might recover, and as long as there was even the thinnest thread of hope, Gu Mingxi wouldn’t let go.

He asked Pang Qian, “Pang Pang, where do you want to go?”

Pang Qian curled her lips and said, “Why are you making it seem like you’re the host? You’re clearly the one in my territory right now! I should be the one asking you. Gu Mingxi, where do you want to go?”

He couldn’t help laughing. He said, “I’ve seen most of the highlights of Shanghai.”

Pang Qian said, “But I still have a lot of places I haven’t seen, like the Oriental Pearl Tower.”

Gu Mingxi was surprised. “You’ve been in Shanghai for a year, and you still haven’t gone to see the Oriental Pearl Tower?”

“I wanted to go with you,” Pang Qian said quietly. “When we came to Shanghai in junior high, you said you would take me there, but then we didn’t end up going. After I got to Shanghai, the whole class went to see it, but I still didn’t go.”

“…” Gu Mingxi saw her childlike expression and said, “Then, let’s go see the Oriental Pearl Tower.”

Several years ago, when he and Pang Qian came to Shanghai for the comic convention, Gu Mingxi had prepared a map in advance and carefully studied the roads they would take. But now, he didn’t need to worry about those things since Pang Qian knew all about Shanghai. She led him to the bus, where they sat for several stops, before getting to the Jiangwan stop on Line 3 of the metro.

Note: Accuracy in no way guaranteed for the following paragraph, since I don’t know Shanghainese.

Along the way, Pang Qian chattered to Gu Mingxi and even mimicked the Shanghai dialect for him to see. “Ala shanghai ning (I’m from Shanghai).” “Wu tong ni yibadao baixiang (I’ll take you out to play).” “Jinchao tianqi jiao guanhao (The weather’s really nice today).” “Nong xiang nanengah (Where do you want to go)?” …When she saw Gu Mingxi’s dumbfounded expression, Pang Qian covered her mouth and kept laughing.

“Yang Lu taught me. She said that if I was going to stay in Shanghai to work, I should learn some Shanghainese.”

Gu Mingxi asked, “You’re not going back to E City after graduation?”

Pang Qian smiled. “I will. My parents won’t let me stay in Shanghai to work. But I’ve thought about working in Shanghai for two years first. Jobs in my field are easier to find in Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou. I’m worried that if I head back to E City, I might not be able to find a good job to start out. If I start working in Shanghai for two years first, I can change jobs and get a better salary.”

Pang Qian and Gu Mingxi stood at the metro station, waiting for Line 3. The station was elevated, and outside the glass windows, you could see the pale blue sky. Pang Qian looked out the window at the white clouds in the sky and asked the person beside her, “Gu Mingxi, what do you plan to do after graduating? Will you go on to postgraduate studies? Or if you’re working, which city do you want to go to? If you’re studying, are you staying at B University or will you go somewhere else?”

This was a difficult question for Gu Mingxi to answer. Pang Qian asked in great detail, so he couldn’t even just answer roughly. He just bit the bullet and said, “I’ll probably keep going to school. As for where I’m going to study, I don’t know for now.”

“I want to keep studying too, but one of the older girls I know told me that if it’s possible, it would be best to work for two years first. And then if I’m not satisfied with things at work, I can choose to do postgraduate studies in some field that will be helpful for my career. That would be more useful than going straight into postgrad studies right after graduating. She also worked a bit before she went back to school. She even plans on studying abroad for her postgrad. So cool!”

As she kept talking on, she realized that Gu Mingxi was zoning out. Pang Qian leaned over and tapped him on the shoulder. She said, “What, you think all the stuff I’m saying is boring? This is what the students usually talk about. After all, we’re already in our second year of college, I…”

She suddenly blushed. Quietly, she said, “I’ve wondered before, which city you’ll stay at in the future. Actually, I really want you to come to Shanghai for your postgraduate studies.”

Gu Mingxi lowered his head and looked over at her, but he didn’t say anything.

There were a lot of people on the metro. Pang Qian and Gu Mingxi stood in the corner as the train car swayed slightly. Gu Mingxi leaned back against the wall of the car, and she stood in front of him, her arm gently wrapped around his waist.

Anyone who saw the two of them would think they were a pair of lovers. They looked very close. Pang Qian gently rested her head on Gu Mingxi’s chest, and said in a voice that only he could hear, “Gu Mingxi, you’re not stinky today. You smell really nice.”

He smiled quietly and bumped his chin onto the top of her head.

The transferred to Line 1 and got off the metro at Lujiazui (area in Shanghai). Pang Qian and Gu Mingxi headed up to the.

Under the white clouds and blue sky, the tall and imposing broadcast tower looked very grand. Pang Qian and Gu Mingxi got onto the elevator to head up. This was the fastest elevator she’d ever ridden in her entire life. As the elevator whooshed up, she stood close to Gu Mingxi. She closed her eyes in fright and even gave out a startled cry.

The elevator was full of people so Gu Mingxi chided her, “Your friends are all braver than you.”

Pang Qian turned to the side unsatisfied. Two 7 or 8 year old kids were indeed watching her with a curious look.

Gu Mingxi had gone up the tower before with his parents, when he was in primary school. Almost ten years had already passed since then. It was the first time for Pang Qian. When they reached the second sphere, she glued herself to the glass window and called down to the cars and pedestrians down below, as excited as a little kid.

Rows upon rows of tall buildings, boats traveling to and fro across the peacefully flowing Huangpu River. Gu Mingxi stood beside Pang Qian at the window. Even with the bustling Shanghai scenery beneath him, he only had eyes for the twinkling, smiling girl beside him.

Pointing to the Jinmao Tower, Pang Qian said to Gu Mingxi, “I’m going to work in that building in the future!”

Gu Mingxi, “Ah…”

Then she pointed to several other buildings, “That place is okay too, and that one’s not bad! Ah, that one doesn’t look good. Who designed it? It’s so ugly!” She turned to him, face glowing. “Gu Mingxi, Lujiazui is the financial district of Shanghai, and Shanghai’s the economic hub of China. My dream is to work here one day! Make big money! Buy a big house!”

When she finished, she laughed happily. “Gu Mingxi, when I hit it big, don’t hesitate to ask me for help!”

Gu Mingxi blinked his eyes, and then asked, “Do you still remember your dream from ten years ago?”

“Ten years ago? When I was 9?” How would Pang Qian remember. She shook her head. “I don’t remember. Did I tell you?”

“Mm. You went to a street vendor to buy some food. You told me you only had 50 cents, and you couldn’t afford a skewer of fried pork fillet, so you could only buy fried millet cake,” Gu Mingxi recalled. “And then you said your dream was to have lots of money in the future so that you could buy lots of fried pork fillet. If you didn’t finish eating, you’d invite me over.”

Pang Qian was dumbfounded. “Ah…”

Gu Mingxi laughed happily, his shoulders shaking. He asked, “Do you still want to eat fried pork fillet?”

She whacked him, “So annoying!”

“Pang Pang,” he suddenly said gently. “Thank you.”

Pang Qian was very surprised, “Ah? For what?”

He said, “Whether it was ten years ago, or ten years later, you didn’t forget to take me along in your dreams. Thank you.”

When they got back down from the Oriental Pearl Tower, it was still early. Gu Mingxi and Pang Qian took a walk around the ocean aquarium. Pang Qian bought two key-chains as souvenirs. A very interesting red, cartoon crab.

They found a restaurant nearby Lujiazui. Gu Mingxi had to use the restroom urgently, so Pang Qian calmly accompanied him to the restroom to help him relieve himself.

This was the second time she’d helped him to the bathroom, but for some reason, she didn’t feel at all awkward or embarrassed. She tried not to look down and just relied on her hands. Without any fabric in the way, her hands inevitably touched him there. With her body stuck close to his, her fingers held onto his little birdie as she heard the rustling sound of flowing water.

Pang Qian felt very calm. She looked up at Gu Mingxi but was met with a very chaotic face. Their eyes met and he turned away, his eyes bright red. Then Pang Qian’s face finally started burning.

When they were eating, Pang Qian asked Gu Mingxi, “Didn’t you come to Shanghai with your parents once to get prosthetics?”

“Ah? Mm…” They ordered two plates of Indonesian fried rice. Gu Mingxi picked up his spoon with his foot to eat. “In fifth grade. We came to Shanghai to get the custom order.”

Pang Qian asked, “So what happened with the prosthetics?”

“Weren’t you the one who said they were disgusting? I didn’t wear them after that.” Gu Mingxi laughed. “I haven’t seen them since we moved. We probably threw it away. For things like that, you have to keep making them as your body grows. It’s really expensive.”

Pang Qian hesitated for a bit, and then said, “Gu Mingxi, it’s already been more than ten years. Science has advanced a lot. Have there been any new developments in prosthetics?”

“Probably. They’ve constantly been researching it overseas,” Gu Mingxi said indifferently.

Pang Qian’s eyes widened. “Then have you ever thought about getting a set of arms that you can do things with?”

Gu Mingxi lifted his head and looked at her. He said, “Pang Pang, I don’t plan to get prosthetics. Let me put it this way. Whatever I’ll be able to do with prosthetic arms, I’ll be able to do with my legs as well. Even things I can’t do with the prosthetics, I can probably do them with my legs. Whatever I can’t do, I still won’t be able to do even with prosthetic arms.”

“…” Pang Qian lowered her head disappointed and continued to eat her rice gloomily.

Gu Mingxi smiled and said, “Don’t be like that. Aren’t I fine right now?”

Pang Qian glanced up at him and curled her lips unhappily.

In the afternoon, they took a walk along Riverside Avenue. The sky was blue with some clouds, and the air was fresh and clean. On the hills beside the platforms over the water, the beautiful green landscape separated them from the hustle and bustle of the big city. Pang Qian and Gu Mingxi leaned against the railing and looked over to the elegant buildings the overlooked the Puxi Bund and the perpetually moving boats across the Huangpu River. Neither of them spoke, just enjoying this comfortable and calm feeling.

As the early autumn wind blew, Pang Qian felt deeply satisfied. She glanced to the profile beside her. Although he’d gotten thinner and tanned, his facial features still revealed a certain determination, and his eyes carried a power that was hard to shake. In Pang Qian’s eyes, he was ever more masculine than before.

Her heart started to thump and thump. Pang Qian slowly moved closer to Gu Mingxi, her finger tracing his empty shirt sleeve.

As if they were holding hands, she felt a bit of joy. Pang Qian looked over at him again, but his head was lowered, a loneliness revealed in his eyes.

Pang Qian had never asked him directly, but she felt that she’d been very obvious in her actions. Pang Qian had been so expressive, but she was still a girl. She hoped that Gu Mingxi would be able to stir up their relationship.

On the other hand, Pang Qian felt a bit concerned about Yang Lu’s words. She and Gu Mingxi were indeed strange. Usually, his response was very disorderly. He didn’t carry his phone most of the time, and Pang Qian just couldn’t contact him at all. Pang Qian knew that Gu Mingxi had feelings for her, and she had feelings for him. But at this time, she really couldn’t be sure what kind of “liking” Gu Mingxi felt for her now.

If he really liked her enough, shouldn’t he want to spend all his time contacting her? Texting, calling, QQ, emailing, video chatting… There were so many ways to contact someone instantly in today’s world. How could he disappear for several months without any news?

It’s only because Pang Qian understood Gu Mingxi too well, so she didn’t get angry at him. If it were any other girl, who would be able to stand a boy ignoring her this way?

And most importantly, Pang Qian had asked Gu Mingxi many times about his plans after graduation. But even until today, he still hadn’t given her a concrete answer.

Pang Qian couldn’t go to Z City. She was studying finance. If she went to a small northern city, she couldn’t be able to find a suitable job. She thought, if Gu Mingxi could concretely tell her that he would come to Shanghai for his postgraduate studies, then she would have the confidence to persist on.

In the future, whether in Shanghai, back in E City, or to Beijing or Guangzhou, she would be able to stay with him.

Pang Qian bit her lip, fingers tugging on Gu Mingxi’s shirt sleeve. He turned to look at her, his dark eyes looking right into her soul. Pang Qian said, “Will you stay in Z City for the next New Year’s?”

Gu Mingxi nodded.

“Can I come to visit?” she asked, gently and cautiously.

Gu Mingxi reflexively said, “Winters in Z City are really cold. It’s better if you don’t come.”

“…” Pang Qian said, “I want to go in the winter because I’ve never seen the snow in the north.”

“Really, it won’t be comfortable for you,” Gu Mingxi said. “Or why don’t you come the year after.”

“What about next summer?” Pang Qian looked up at him, watching. “Can I come next summer?”

She asked very aggressively and Gu Mingx gulped. In a heavy tone, he said, “Let’s talk about it again when the time comes.”

“Gu Mingxi…” Pang Qian lowered her head. “Don’t act like this. Between us… In any case, don’t think about too many things, and don’t worry about anything. I hope that… I hope that… I hope that you can come to Shanghai to study. Really. As long as you come to Shanghai to study, I promise that I’ll stay in Shanghai with you.”

Gu Mingxi couldn’t keep talking about this topic. He suddenly said, “Last night, that Sheng Feng guy, is he pursuing you?”

“Ah?” Pang Qian’s mouth dropped. “He… He is pursuing me, so what? I don’t like him anyway.”

“Actually, Pang Pang…” He became emotional as he said, “You can try to accept him. Not dating in college would be too boring.”

Pang Qian’s mind went boom! Her expression immediately changed, and then she said, “Gu Mingxi, let’s go back.”

It was just afternoon. On the metro ride back, Pang Qian leaned against Gu Mingxi’s shoulder and slept. Gu Mingxi sat stiffly, his heart very heavy.

This was a very happy day. It had been a long time since he’d gone out and had such fun. But he was dejected to find that there were several topics that he couldn’t talk about with Pang Qian.

Her life was as wonderful was he had imagined. The Pang Qian who had stumbled through high school was now studying well in college. She did well on her homework, she got along with others, and her campus life was colorful. She told Gu Mingxi that she’d joined the school’s ping pong team. Even a dabbler like herself was able to get to the third round of Shanghai’s college table tennis competition.

Her classmates often discussed their plans for the future, whether they’d go to graduate school or go abroad. Pang Qian didn’t dare imagine going abroad. Even if she could apply for a scholarship, it would be hard for her family to be able to afford the high living costs. Pang Qian had mentioned to Gu Mingxi numerous times about postgraduate studies, as if it would be a matter of course for her.

How could she find out that the boy beside her didn’t know when he’d be able to return to school. In fact, he might not ever return.

When they exited the metro station, Gu Mingxi saw a movie theater. He suddenly said, “Pang Pang, let’s go watch a movie.”

Pang Qian said, “Oh, okay. Harry Potter 3 is out right now, and I’ve been wanting to watch it.”

Gu Mingxi, “…”

“Have you seen the first two?”

He shook his head.

“Have you read the books?”

He shook his head again. Pang Qian shrugged and then indifferently continued on. “Then we can watch Jackie Chan’s Police Story.”

When they went to buy tickets, the ticket lady said that the only seats available were the front-most ones or the couple seats in the back. Pang Qian said, “The couple seats then. Your neck hurts if you sit right in front.”

After they got their tickets, she went to buy drinks and popcorn. Gu Mingxi saw how gloomy she looked and his mood dropped as well.

It was the first time that Pang Qian sat in the couples seats at the movie theater. Sitting together with Gu Mingxi, she grew very curious.

“These seats are really comfy.” She smiled and then brought the cola in front of Gu Mingxi. He obediently took a sip, and then she grabbed some popcorn for him to eat.

After the movie started, the lights in the theater turned off. The audio in the film was very good, pounding at the audience’s ears and hearts.

Gu Mingxi’s nerves gradually settled. Inside this dark theater, he finally let down his defenses. Sitting lazily in his chair, he took in the familiarity of the girl beside him. She was eating popcorn, and didn’t forget to bring some up to his mouth as well. Occasionally she drank some cola and swallowed it with a gulp…

Gu Mingxi didn’t know what was going on in the movie at all. He just shifted slightly and moved closer to her. He thanked the person who designed these couple seats, and then closed his eyes and gently inhaled the scent of her hair.

Pang Qian wouldn’t know that this was the last opportunity Gu Mingxi was giving himself to indulge a little. He indulged in being close to her, forgetting all the troubles on his mind. His mother’s illness, the expensive treatment fees, his terrible school situation, the bleak little city, his unreasonable relatives, the house he couldn’t return to, his middle-aged father and second wife…

For just awhile, he left Z City, left those people and those things. Gu Mingxi admitted that he’d relaxed a bit, but a responsibility still weighed down on his shoulders. No matter how pleasurable and glamorous the world outside was, he had to return home and return to his mother’s side.

At some point in their lives, people must learn to let go, to compromise. As Gu Mingxi was faced with his unpredictable future, he wondered if maybe he should let go of his little crab.

The movie was already 40 minutes in, and Pang Qian was entirely entranced by it. She brought some popcorn to her mouth, and then she brought some up to Gu Mingxi.

It was very dark, and she didn’t turn, but she was thoroughly surprised.

The back of her index finger felt the edge of his mouth, near his cheek. Fingers were very sensitive, so even though it was just a brief moment, she felt that beside his lips were slightly damp.

Pang Qian turned her head, the popcorn falling from her hands. Her fingers touched his cheek again, but this time he moved his head away. Pang Qian’s heart was beating wildly, and then she brought her fingers to his eyes.

He didn’t give her the opportunity to keep exploring, immediately pulling his head away from her hand and lowering it. He bowed his head down deeply. Pang Qian slowly pulled her neck down and brought her head to the same level as his.

Their breathing was light as they breathed toward each other’s faces, carrying the scent of popcorn. Gu Mingxi lifted his head and brought his lips to her eyebrow. His Adam’s apple slid as he closed his eyes and gently pressed his lips on her face.

A slight warm and wet sensation landed on her silently. Pang Qian still held the container of popcorn in her left hand, her right hand holding its original position resting on his shoulder. She curled up her fingers and slowly grabbed his collar. And then Gu Mingxi’s lips approached her and landed on her cheek.

Pang Qian’s face was already burning, but she didn’t hide. Gu Mingxi’s kisses were gently and cautious. He kissed her nose and then the two of them froze.

The two of them gasped deeply, both able to hear the other’s heart beating. Pang Qian pressed her fingers against his neck, the veins there pulsing, blazing like they’d burn through into her bloodstream.

Pang Qian didn’t move, she didn’t hide, and she didn’t go along with him. Finally, Gu Mingxi stirred. He searched, as if looking for the world’s greatest treasure. Then he slowly lowered his head, his cold lips touching her warm ones. In that moment, the rest of the world ceased to exist.

The rest of the popcorn in Pang Qian’s hand dropped to the floor. The crashing popcorn box startled the couple beside them, who glanced curiously at their neighbor before returning their eyes to the movie screen.

Pang Qian’s arms circled his neck, her leg raised up on top of his. She raised her chin, eyes closed, and accepted his unbridled kiss.

He did all he could to move closer to her, his shoulders extending. Pang Qian’s fingers moved down his neck to his shoulders and grabbed onto his shirt. Without restraint, she held onto his cut-off shoulders. She even pinched him with her nails, which brought out a repressed moan from his throat and another wave of frantic kissing.

She felt his warm and wet tears fall onto her cheek, drop by drop, without a sound. She couldn’t help but cup his cheek and wipe away his tears with trembling fingers.

In the end, his kiss grew gentle. He kissed her lips lightly and sucked onto her tongue as their faces collided together. His eyes were closed the whole time, his long eyelashes sprinkling tears across her cheeks. It was itchy, but it made her own tears fall.

She choked, unable to stop herself. Her body shook, and she helped him wipe away the tears at his eyes. In the darkness, Gu Mingxi finally opened his eyes. His eyes were watery and gentle. Like the brightest stars in the sky, they quietly stared into her eyes.

Prev Chapter

Next Chapter
Chapter error report
FreeWebnovel.Com
Read Books Online & Free Novels Online
Contact - Sitemap
Privacy & Terms of useRead Novels Online Free

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

3.2M 187K 77
Nobody ever loved him; she was the first who loved him. He did not have a family and then one day she entered into his life and became a world for h...
1.8M 114K 200
**Story is gonna be slow paced. Read only if you have patience. 🔥** Isha Sharma married a driver whom she had just met. She was taking a huge risk...
429K 23.9K 17
𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐱 𝐑𝐮𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐤𝐬𝐡 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 ~By 𝐊𝐚𝐣𝐮ꨄ︎...
3M 193K 89
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...