The Mughal Princess (Complet...

By the_insouciant_lass

The Mughal Princess fell in love with Rajput Prince. A beautiful love blossomed and soon the wedding prepar... More

Aditya Raj Suryavanshi
Maheen
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
Cast
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
Letters !
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
Epilogue
A/N

39.

16K 1.4K 216
By the_insouciant_lass

Maheen made her way across the courtyard towards her chamber. Ignoring the pain in her leg, Gehna who was calling her name and the greetings people threw her way as she walked pass them.

All she could think of was her doomed future now that Dev was back.

"Slow down Maheen." Gehna called out to her as she too ran behind Maheen. "Your leg is still healing you -."

"I need to talk to Aditya."

"And you will, just slow down or you'll hurt yourself."

"Gehna you don't understand. It's all over, he is back and now .. I .. I can't."

"Maheen nothing is going to change. Aditya is a grown man and he is wise and mature and -.."

Maheen ignored Gehna and pushed the doors of her chamber and entered inside.

"Aditya ... Aditya." She called her voice cracking.

"Adit-." Maheen stopped as she saw him walk out of the study looking panicked.

Maheen rushed towards him and flung herself into his arms. She held on to him tightly, cluttering his kurta in her fist. She shut her eyes closed and a sob left her throat.

"Ma..Maheen what's wrong ? Is your leg hurting ? Should I call the doctor." He said panicked.

He tried to pull her away but she held on to him tighter.

"What is wrong Mahi ?" He asked gently stroking her hair. "Gehna will you tell me ?" He said looking behind Maheen to see Gehna standing at the door looking at her friend sympathetically.

"I think I should go, Maheen will let you know." She said stepped outside the room and closing the door behind her.

"Maheen you have to let me know what's wrong. If you keep crying like this I won't be able to help you." He said pulling her away from her successfully.

He held her arms as she looked at her. She looked adorable with her red nose and flushed cheeks, she had overshadowed her beauty buy any jewellery or makeup and Aditya looked at her softly, she looked so vulnerable.

"Come sit down." He said guiding her towards their bed and making her sit. He bent down in front of her and took her hand between his.

"Will you tell me now what's bothering you so much ?" He asked.

"Ad..Aditya he is back." Maheen croaked.

"What are you saying Maheen.. who is-." Aditya stopped mid sentence, he knew who 'he' was. He knew Dev was coming home, he had to tell Maheen himself, he had carelessly forgotten.

"Dev." He whispered and Maheen stiffened.

"I.. I don't want to see him." Maheen hiccuped.

"Maheen... it's going to be okay."

"No.. no please. He will ruin everything Aditya, he will tell Mohini and Rani maa and then everyone and they wouldn't look at me in the same way they did and I .. you .. I don't want this Adi he will ruin whatever I've built and -."

"Maheen !" Aditya shut her up. "Nothing of this sorts will happen. You have me, I'll make sure nothing like this will happen. I promise Mahi." He said holding her hand tightly.

Maheen looked at him with puffy eyes and nodded.

"Now do you want to have lunch ? I'm starving !"

•••

Aditya had tucked Maheen to bed, all the excretion she had put her foot through had made the healing undone.

He stepped out of their chamber and instructed the guards outside to not let anyone in except Gehna.

Mangal and his prime minister stood outside waiting for Aditya.

"How was I not informed about Dev's return ?" Aditya asked sternly looking between the two men.

"Sorry Bhaisa we -."

"Agar ek parinda bhi iss mehal se ho kar guzar raha hai mujhe uski bhi jaankari hona avashyak hai." (I need to be informed about everything that passes through or inside this palace.)

"Ji Bhaisa." Mangal said with his head hanging low.

Aditya walked towards the courtyard with Mangal walking behind him.

"Where is Dev ?" He asked.

"Raj Bhavan Bhaisa." Mangal informed. "He went to the royal residence as soon as he came and he is in his room since."

"Alright." Aditya said. "Cancel everything which was on schedule today and please if you can ask Gehna to go to check on Maheen in some time."

As Mangal left Aditya walked into the royal residence and took the flight stair straight up to Dev's floor.

He knocked on the door and pushed it open.

The blues of the room were familiar and so was the face in front of him.

"Bhaisa !" Dev exclaimed and took quick steps towards Aditya before holding Aditya in a hug.

"How are have you been ! Did you miss me ?" Dev asked holding on to Aditya.

Aditya wrapped his arms around Dev and let out a sigh. He was grateful that his brother was safe.

"How are you Dev ?" He asked pulling away from the hug.

"I'm okay." Dev replied looking at Aditya. "I .. I'm sor-."

"Abeer would have known by now that you are back in Awadh. I'm going to ask you to not pull any stunt this time and stay here."

"Of course Bhaisa where would -."

"You will also not mention about what happened in Agra to anyone. Anyone Dev, not Rani maa, not Mohini."

"I won't Bhaisa."

"You will learn to respect the changes which have taken place in your absence."

"I know about it. Congratulations on the wedding Bhaisa." Dev said with a small smile. "She is a wonderful girl and you both wou-."

"I have to go get back to Maheen, I'll talk to you later." Aditya said cutting him in the middle.

"Maheen." Dev whispered her name making Aditya stop in his way. "How is she bhaisa ?"

"Isn't it a little to late to ask Dev. You left us with a lot of damage, it's taken a lot of time for things to take a turn for the better, do not do anything foolish to spoil it again."

"I won't I promise."

•••

Aditya had made sure that Maheen was in bed all day. It was only the next morning that Maheen was allowed to step down from the bed.

"Rani maa is back." Aditya said as he pushed his hand through the kurta.

"When did she get here ?" Maheen asked as she braided her hair.

The two of them were getting dressed to go for the morning prayers. Aditya had skipped his morning sword fighting session to help maheen to the temple.

"Maheen I'm stuck." Aditya called out looking funny as both his hands were raised in the air and his head was stuck halfway through the head hole.

Maheen let out a chuckle getting up from the stool after placing her bindi on her forehead.
"What did you do ?" She asked walking towards him.

"I think I forgot to undo the buttons."

"You did." Maheen said. "Bend down a little." She asked and quickly opened the buttons of his kurta so his head could slip out.

"Oh god ! Thank you." Aditya huffed.
"Now let's go." He said taking Maheen's hand.

The two stepped out of their room and the guards outside greeted them.

As they walked down the corridor towards the courtyard Maheen stopped.

"What happened! Does your leg hurt ? Should we go back up ?" Aditya asked confused.

"No. My leg is fine, but I'm not fine with all these people following us."

"Maheen they are for your safety." Aditya said.

"Safety ? If I'm not safe in my own house I won't be safe anywhere with anyone Aditya." Maheen argued.

"It's just precauti-."

"No !" Maheen said. "I don't want them following me like my shadow. Everyone living here is family Aditya. Please." Maheen said looking at him with tender eyes.

"Stop looking at me like that." He grumbled. He turned around and instructed the guards to go back to their positions outside their chamber.

"Aren't you being an obedient husband."

"Do you not want me to ?" Aditya asked challengingly.

"Of course I do." Maheen said sticking her tongue out at him.
"Aditya." She said. "We will have to tell Bhaijaan about De..Dev."

"You don't worry. I have informed him already. I've also told him that we'll be coming to Agra after Holi and whatever must be done will be decided once we reach Agra."

"Adi.. you don't have to worry. I'll talk to bhaijaan, he won't ask you to do anything you wouldn't want." Maheen said.

"Maheen I -."

"If you think it's because I feel anything for him, please don't. He is just your brother to me Adi. I will ask my brother to not ask something of my husband which I know would be difficult or testing for you. I know you love him, will love him no matter what."

Aditya looked at her and smiled.

"You don't have to Maheen." He smiled at her softly.

"I am also the Queen remember."

"Yes my queen." Aditya said faking a bow making Maheen laugh.

The two entered the temple to see Rani maa present there.

"Rani maa, how was your journey ?" Aditya asked bending down to touch her feet.

"Very fruitful." She replied placing her hand on his head.

"Rani maa." Maheen greeted her following Aditya and touching her feet.

Mandira looked at her and smiled, a smile that quite didn't reach her eye.

"Maheen, have you forgotten that you have a husband ?" Mandira said looking at her.

"Ji ?" Maheen asked looking confused.

"Sindoor kaha hai aapka, apse zada shagun toh vidva aurate pehenti hai." She said bitterly. "Agar Awadh ki maharani banne ka shok tha toh zara raniyo jaisa rehna bhi seekh lo maheen."

"Rani maa I.. I just -."

"Maa." The voice interrupted her.
"Dev bhai is coming I've informed him. I think we should start." Mohini said.

Maheen looked at her feet, her eyes burning with unshed tears. Mandira had always been kind to her and her words had pierced her heart.

Aditya silently slipped his hand into hers and gave it a gentle squeeze.

The old priest had begun the prayer, and soon the entire place was filled with chants and hymns.

Maheen soon had forgotten about Mandira's scolding. As the pooja came to an end the old priest had handed her the aarti which she took around for everyone to take.

Aditya had suddenly disappeared from her side. She noticed that Mohini and Gehna stood discussing about something at the back.

Maheen took the aarti towards them.

"Ahem." She cleared her throat. "What are you two gossiping about ?"

"We were planning to go somewhere, we know you wouldn't be interested to come." Gehna said.

"Where ?"

"To the witches. She is in town, she is going to read our hand."

"Gehna grow up." Maheen said rolling her eyes. She pushed the holy fire ahead and the two took the blessings.

The only people now left were the queen mother and Dev who stood by the old priest.

Rani maa was talking to him and Dev stood behind her.

Maheen's heart hammered as she took careful steps in their direction.

"Rani maa." Maheen said pushing her hand forward with the holy fire.

Mandira looked at her and then took the blessings. She next turned the plate towards Dev without sparing him a glance.

"Beta have you offered it to everyone?" The old priest asked her kindly.

"No pandit ji, I can't find Aditya he .. only he is remaining." Maheen said and the old man nodded.

"You can't find Aditya ?" Mandira scoffed. "Is there anything you can do Maheen ? Look at you, what are you wearing. These old tatters you have scavenged from somewhere." She said pointing at the saree Maheen had worn from the trunk she had found at the old Haveli. "Our maids look better than you do, I don't know what my son found in you that -."

"Maa please .. stop." Dev said placing his hand on his mothers shoulder.
By this point everyone had formed a circle and watched silently the mother queen insulted Maheen.

"I will not. If you are to be a part of us at least try to behave in that way -."

"Maa stop !" Dev whispered.

"You will not go prancing around in those rags Maheen, you don't have a class but I do, I will not-."

"That will be enough." The thunderous voice made the crowd split immediately.

Aditya walked past everyone and stood in front of Mandira beside Maheen.

"Look at her Aditya, is th-."

"I said enough." He said in a voice so calm that it sent chills down everyone's backs.

"Maheen will wear what she wants, she will not wear what she doesn't. She will do as she pleases, she won't if she doesn't." He said looking at her.

Maheen's head was bowed, he could see the tears drip down her eyes to the floor.

"Nobody, nobody not you, not even me can talk to her like that."

"And is that how you speak to your mother ?" Mandira said looking at Aditya accusingly.

"Maa please, don't stretch this." Dev said.

"No. I do all this for you and look at you raising your voice at me for her." She spat venomously.
"Look at her, looking like a widow in that saree and now mourning like one." Mandira said looking at Maheen who tried to hold in her sobs.

"Enough Rani maa." Aditya exclaimed.

Aditya said placing his finger under Maheen's chin and lifting it up.

"You will not cry." He said to her.

"If it bothers you so much Rani maa let me deal with it." He said taking a pinch on sindoor from the plate Maheen held and placing it on the parting of her hair.

"You'll have to excuse us now." He said placing his hand on Maheen's lower back and guided her out of the temple.

Everyone watched.

They watched their king restore the dignity of their queen which the queen mother had tried to strip off.

They watched how a son had tactfully handled his mother.

They saw a husband take a stand for his wife.

They all watched from the side lines as the queen mother ragingly stomped out.

However they failed to see or decipher the expression of their Prince, who was trying really hard to make sense of what he had just witnessed.

AN: what is this hattrick !!!
Where are my votes lovely readers ???
I swear if you guys cross 400 on this by tomorrow I'll update.
On to writing the next chapter now.
I'm loving this !!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

807K 52K 35
( π“π‘πž π‘π¨π²πšπ₯ 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐬 #𝟏) "Alright this is getting out of my head, just out with it, who is she?" His best friend asked him.. "MERI HONE...
13.6K 2.2K 26
In light of the crown prince abdicating the throne for the love of his life, all the responsibilities of the country and the woman betrothed to his b...
2.1M 126K 65
β€’Completedβ€’ *Read only if you can accept the grey shade of life* The Kazi was called in, a few prayers were read in a tongue unknown to her and then...
814K 52.9K 71
β€’||Book one in Royalty series ||β€’ The Tales of Rakshatra #1 Zravasaya X Tanirika When one of the strongest kingdom on earth is abducted ruthlessly by...