The Incident Concerning The A...

By TiNyDiAmOnD101

When asked in the future about her sister's cases, Isabel Winter would always refer to the Incident Concernin... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
The Curtain Call

Chapter 7

2.8K 285 43
By TiNyDiAmOnD101

Sadly, I had to wait until the morning to get any answers to my questions. I found out from Newham that Dr. Scott had grossly overexaggerated my illness that didn't even exist, so therefore I was stuck in bed hearing tales of Barnes plodding around asking everyone, even my friends, extremely awkward questions. I finished A Process Of Elimination, and afterwards vowed never to talk to Hettie ever again. She had been keeping the ending of the book as a closely guarded secret, and now I realized it was undoubtedly her revenge for what I had put her through when she read Mystery Man.

Still, it was a fantastic end.

Dr. Scott gave me his diagnosis over lunch, which he and Newham came to share with me in my room. Being my two oldest friends, they said it only seemed right.

"Well, I checked out the stain and the dog food" the doctor began, after we had explained the whole situation to Newham.

"And?" I prompted.

"They both contained quite large amounts of a rather nasty knockout drug. Lethal, in large doses. Even if you inhale it, it can still make for some pretty powerful effects" the doctor told us both.

I snapped my fingers together triumphantly.

"That's why I kept passing out! I sniffed the dog food and the cocoa stain a few minutes before, both times. It makes sense!" I exclaimed. Both Newham and the doctor smiled.

"I should have guessed it was something like that, Allie" Newham sighed. "You've never really been one for fainting."

"Thank you" I laughed.

"Is that what you expected?" Dr. Scott asked. I shrugged.

"More or less. I'll have to read up on it now, though. There's one thing that doesn't make sense, and only research can solve it."

"I'll go though the library for you, after lunch" Dr. Scott offered, and I accepted gratefully. We then put the murder to one side, and enjoyed the rest of our meal.

I was two thirds of the way through the pile of library books later on in the afternoon, when Isabel, Fisher and Amber came back to see me. I was now doing a very good job of pretending to be ill, with a little help from Hettie's face powder. She was much paler than I was, so her powder washed out my skin very well.

"So" I whispered. "What did you find?"

"Nothing was missing, no valuables, anything" Amber told me worriedly. "I checked all his usual places for hiding things, and went through all the drawers. There's nothing valuable missing that I know about, and I'd like to think I know about everything."

"Did you count sets of clothes?" I asked. Isabel nodded.

"We did. If Amber's right about how many sets of clothes he had, all that's missing is one set" she confirmed.

"What he was wearing when he died" Amber sniffed.

"But...but the jacket was different, er, wasn't it?" Fisher stammered. Everyone looked at him, surprised.

"What do you mean, Fisher?" Isabel asked.

Fisher blanched at being the centre of attention.

"I mean, er, Miss Gray, you said so yourself, when we were, er, looking around" the Deputy Inspector explained hurriedly. "You said that...well, that the missing jacket didn't match the, er, missing trousers."

"I...did" Amber agreed, as if only realising it for the first time. "But that's not like Matthew."

There was a silence, as everyone, including me, tried to work out what that meant, to no avail.

We were interrupted by a huge commotion outside in the hall. Looking at each other confusedly, I jumped out of bed and wrapped a shawl around my shoulders as we all hurried out onto the landing to see what the problem was. Barnes was standing in the middle of the hallway, surrounded by the rest of the troupe, along with the Brokers, Newham, and the doctor.

"So the dog was fed?" Barnes was asking Newham.

"He was" I called down. "That's what I was checking before I fell ill."

"And you say you saw Matthew feeding the dog?" Barnes then asked Linda Luck, who nodded.

"Out of my window, y'see. You can see right down to the dogpen from it" Linda explained. I was amazed, and really confused. That didn't fit at all.

"What time was this?" I asked from the landing above.

Linda frowned.

"Can't say. Quite early, I imagine. I was preparing for my death, so anywhere between eight o'clock and ten" she replied vaguely. I sighed.

"Right."

Barnes moved into 'I am in charge here' mode.

"You do realise, Miss Luck, that this means you were the last person to see Matthew Sharp alive?" he asked. Linda looked shocked, then shook her head.

"Well, er, this rather complicates matters" Fisher remarked.

"You don't say" I murmured. "I think I should go back to bed."

Leaving them all staring after me, I plodded back to the room I had been staying in, which, coincidentally, was Isabel's; my sister having moved to my old turret room. I curled solemnly back up in the bed.

"Are you alright, Allie?" Isabel herself asked, poking her head through the door.

"Just having to start back from square one" I sighed.

"Can I get you anything?" Isabel asked. I thought for a second.

"Yes. Ellie."

Isabel rolled her eyes and shut the door, leaving me to my thoughts.

It was a long while later when Ellie finally made her appearance.

"What's the matter?" she grumbled.

"Nothing" I smiled, sitting up in the bed. "Just one or two questions."

"More questions?" Ellie asked irritably. I'm sick to death of questions."

"Three questions" I reasoned. "And anything you'd like to ask me."

It was a good bargain, and Ellie knew it. She humphed to herself and sat down with a thud on a chair.

"Go on" she sighed.

"Thanks" I said pleasantly. "First question. Where's Oscar's food kept?"

Ellie snorted.

"Silly question to ask. I had assumed you would be asking more along the lines of 'What relationship did you have with Matthew Sharp?' or 'Have you and Matthew Sharp had any arguments recently?' or 'Do you know if Matthew Sharp had any enemies?' or something like that. You know typical detective questions. Maybe that illness of yours has gotten to your head."

"I'm not a typical detective" I corrected calmly. "Now answer the question."

I fancied Ellie wasn't used to speaking to people like me, as she humphed and clucked and fidgeted to herself before she answered.

"In the back corridor, in the little cupboard by the door, with all Oscar's other things" she replied reluctantly. "Why do you want to know?"

"Because I want to know if it's possible for anyone else to get to it without you noticing" I told her truthfully. I had decided that in Ellie's case, honesty was the best policy.

Ellie humphed and clucked a bit more. I waited patiently for her to finish.

"Second question" I said, still keeping the calm, pleasant demeanour that seemed to annoy Ellie so much. "Linda Luck is saying that she saw Matthew Sharp feeding Oscar yesterday morning. Did you see him go through the kitchen?"

Ellie looked stunned.

"Nobody came in the kitchen, Miss Winter, I'll bet my life on that!" she protested. "I came in the morning at six to do the breakfast, and didn't leave until I came to tell you all about Oscar!"

"I don't doubt your judgement" I commented.

"You should be right to! Linda Luck, she's always making up things to get the spotlight on her. She'll do anything for a speck of attention. I wouldn't believe anything she says, personally. I don't think Oscar was fed at all."

"But his bowl was half full when I went to look at it" I pointed out, being careful not to ask any extra questions of Ellie. She seemed the type to try and cheat me out of information like that.

"Well, it beats me" Ellie sighed. "It really does beat me..."

"It beats me too, at the moment" I agreed. "And I'm the detective."

"Fat lot of good you are, then" Ellie snorted. I took the insult on the chin. Chances were she had been waiting for an opportunity like that to one-up me. I let her have it. It had been rather a petty comment.

"Third question" I smiled, glad that this interview would soon be over. "Can I have a look at the troupe makeup kit, if you've got one?"

This time, Ellie properly started to laugh at me.

"I'm going to go and get your doctor friend, straight after this" she chortled. "You're practically delirious!"

I resisted the urge to punch her in the face.

"Do what you will. Just bring me the kit, please" I sighed, feeling my patience stretching towards breaking point.

"Fine! Ellie sniggered. "I'll send someone up with it. Now, if I'm not mistaken, that's your three questions, young lady!" she added, with a hint of triumph in her tone.

"And that's everything I needed to know!" I announced brightly, beaming falsely at her from my bed. "Thank you ever so much for your help, Mrs. Gray. I shan't keep you any longer. Goodbye."

With that, I leant back on my pillows, picked up A Process Of Elimination, flicked to a random page and began to read.

I heard Ellie give a snort of derision before leaving. I gave it a few minutes, before putting the book away and trying to stifle the giggles. Playing Ellie at her own game really was hilarious fun. I felt rather proud of myself.

A short time later, Amber came up with my dinner and the makeup box. I was half expecting not to get any dinner, but it appeared Ellie didn't let her feelings get in the way of her cooking.

"I say" Amber smirked, as she set the tray down. "You missed the most hilarious riot at tea today. Mother was going on about how utterly delirious you were, asking about Oscar's food and the makeup box. We all totally agreed, I'm afraid, but then that Lieutenant Newham spoke up and said that usually when you start spouting stuff like that, you're awfully close to solving the case. Of course, then Mrs. Broker and the other Miss Winter and that rather loud Chief Inspector backed him up, and then poor Mother really was up against the wall. Hilarious fun. Barely anyone ever gets the better of her. We were all laughing ourselves silly."

I couldn't help it as a smile split my face in two.

"So are you nearly there?" Amber asked. I sighed.

"Perhaps. Once I've been through this makeup box I'll be a bit closer. I'm still rather confused as to motive, though."

"I do hope you solve it" Amber said warmly. "I'd hate it if you didn't. Matthew deserves a good send off. Caleb was saying that the other day."

"Was he, now?" I asked. "Do you two get on well?"

Amber blushed.

"We do. We always have. But when Matthew came to the troupe we sort of drifted apart. It seems he's waited for me, though. He's been nothing but kindness, throughout this whole affair. I'm awfully glad I've got him" she admitted. "My parents never really liked Matthew that much. As a perspective husband, I mean. I think they'll be much happier now if I end up with Caleb."

"Well don't feel like you're being forced to do anything" I advised.

Amber nodded, sitting down on the end of the bed.

"You know, your sister's getting on very well with that Deputy Inspector" she commented.

"What?" I asked sharply, nearly upsetting the tray. Amber nodded.

"Oh, didn't you realize? The Chief Inspector said he didnt need him, so the Deputy Inspector took her riding this morning. They borrowed some horses" she told me. I was amazed.

"You look surprised" Amber said, wearing a rather puzzled expression.

"I am surprised" I pointed out.

"Why?" Amber said amusedly. "I mean, I know they aren't the most conventional of couples, bt surely..."

"Not that" I butted in, still in a state of mild shock.

"What, then?" Amber asked.

"Isabel can't ride."

Amber rather ungracefully burst into hysterical giggles. I smiled wolfishly at her as I tucked into my tea.

"So what do you think?" she finally asked me, having calmed herself.

"I think that there must be something serious going on if Fisher can get my sister on a horse!" I exclaimed, sending Amber off laughing again. This time, even I couldn't hide a giggle at my own comedy genius, made better by the fact it was all absolutely true.

"Miss Winter, won't you be serious for one second!" Amber gasped, trying to catch her breath. "Do you mind your sister going off with a Deputy Inspector?"

"Well" I sighed, sobering up. "Fisher isn't just some random Deputy Inspector. We're excellent friends, he and I. Personally" I paused for dramatic effect. "I couldn't have picked a better man for her if I tried."

Amber smiled warmly again.

"And I'm sure she'll be very happy to hear me say that" I continued. "Chances are, she's listening at the door or you're under orders to report back. Either that or it's Fisher. Although, something tells me it's most likely to be the former..." I trailed off, noticing that Amber looked crestfallen.

"It wasn't your fault" I said comfortingly. "You did very well, trying to slip it into the conversation. But hey. If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. You're still very young, and you've a lot of time to practice."

Amber gave a sort of half-smile.

"You're too good for me" she sighed. "I've never really enjoyed acting that much. Matthew and I were planning on leaving the troupe once we were married. Shame that won't happen now."
She turned away, heading for the door. I sighed.

"Thank you, Miss Gray."

"It's no problem, Miss Winter."

I settled down with my dinner as she left, thinking about everything I knew. It all seemed a little haphazard. Originally we had assumed Oscar hadn't been fed, but then Matthew had been seen feeding him sometime in the morning, feeding him food we now knew was drugged. Matthew himself had also been drugged in his cocoa using the same drug as had been used on Oscar, but when and how and why I still didn't know. Oscar had been barking at half past eight, at a guess, most likely because Matthew had been feeding him. But Newham, who had been in the same room as the people who had heard the barking, at the time when Oscar barked, hadn't heard it. Matthew himself had somehow managed to get past Ellie in the kitchen twice, if not three times, the third time with whoever killed him.

Then there was a question of motive, and as far as I could see everyone had very little in ways of that. I flicked open the makeup box with my toe. Due to its organisation, I could tell at once was was missing. Hmmm. That made quite a bit of sense, actually.

I didn't bother reading the rest of the library books. I had already found what I needed to know, in a book called Household Drugs And Their Uses. So, after I had finished my dinner and left it outside the door, I curled up and went to sleep. I needed time to think about motive.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.5K 3.9K 43
After solving a double murder - twice - Imogen Fox, the personal assistant of the John Oakby, the Mayor of a tiny own of Fleckney Woulds, has sworn t...
55K 4.6K 36
Lady Eliza Winter has one friend in the world and she happens to go missing. And when Eliza goes to report the disappearance to the police they won't...
16.7K 3.1K 25
When heiress Alexis Dupont asks part-time P.I Evie Harper to search her sisters room for an expensive missing heirloom it seems like an easy gig to g...
1.3K 117 54
Fly fishing was something that her late husband, Harry Pell, loved to do. When Hadley's friend, Hobie Stricker, invites her to try for the Big One, s...