WalkerZ - A Zombie Apocalypse...

By TheOrangutan

As a scout for what remains of the government in a post-outbreak world, Merryn is sent to investigate an old... More

Chapter 1 - Peaches and Dog Food
Chapter 2 - Zombies in Uniform
Chapter 3 - Lab Rats and Zombie Kisses
Chapter 4 - Wave at Stan
Chapter 5 - VariantZ
Chapter 6 - Gang Warfare
Chapter 7 - Exit Stage Left
Chapter 8 - Morse Code on the Moors
Chapter 9 - The Return of Stan
Chapter 10 - Marcia, Indomitable
Chapter 12 - First Contact
Chapter 13 - An Odious Toad
Chapter 14 - Corporal Punishment
Chapter 15 - Teacher's Pet
Chapter 16 - Stan Overboard
Chapter 17 - It Came from the Sea
Chapter 18 - A New Threat
Chapter 19 - Concert of The Damned
Chapter 20 - A Place of Madness
Chapter 21 - Turn it Up to 11
Chapter 22 - A Walk Through the Past
Chapter 23 - Dockyard Brawlers
Chapter 24 - Pilots of Penzance
Chapter 25 - In Search of Wings
Chapter 26 - The Worst Audience Ever
Chapter 27 - Catch 22
Chapter 28 - Movement
Chapter 29 - Zombie Football
Chapter 30 - A Man in Uniform
Chapter 31 - A Skein of Shining Silver
Chapter 32 - A Tin of Pineapple Chunks
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter - Mal's Story

Chapter 11 - Commander Pike

180 35 7
By TheOrangutan

Once the gate was firmly secured, she ushered them inside the nearest building. As they walked through the door a brown and white terrier ran up to her and rubbed against her legs, whining. "Don't worry Alan, we're safe, these nice people saved us."

"Alan?" whispered Andrew, grinning at Tom, who shrugged.

"I'd better go and check the perimeter," said Tom, and Merryn nodded.

Marcia bustled over to a wood-burning stove in one corner of her hut, adding sticks to the fire and placing a large kettle on top. Then she lowered herself into a chair and looked at them, her eyes brimming with tears.

"Thank you," she said simply.

"You're welcome," said Merryn and sat down next to her, reaching out to take her hand and hold it, feeling the warmth from her skin transfer into the cooler parchment-thin skin of the older woman.

"How long have you been here Marcia?"

"Since the start of the Outbreak. Up until then, I lived in the farmhouse over the hill. But when everything started going to hell in a handbag I decided I'd come over here and see if the army lads could look after an old lady. They were either dead or had buggered off so I thought I'd move in as it seemed a bit more secure than my farm. I dropped their corpses in the peat bog over there, the one with the red moss on it, they're always the deep ones. I gave 'em a prayer then started to make the place home.

"Apart from those horrible moaning bastards out there, you're the first people I've seen since the outbreak."

The kettle whistled and the old woman grabbed the arms of the chair to lift herself from its cushioned depths.

"I got it," said Hope and lifted the kettle with a cloth as the woman settled back into her chair with a sigh of appreciation.

"Thank you, dear. There are cups in the cupboard there, teabags too, and some milk in the fridge."

Merryn shook her head in awe. "You are somewhat incredible Marcia. Where do you get milk from?"

"I've got a few animals in one of the other buildings. I brought them over with me when I realised the army had cleared out."

Tom reappeared in the doorway and nodded at Merryn.

"Don't worry dear, Alan will let us know if any more turn up. He's an abject coward but a good watchdog."

She clasped Merryn's hand warmly again. "It's so good to see you dear, and children too. I didn't think I would see anyone again. Have you seen anyone else?"

"We're part of a group based in Exeter, we live in the old marine base there at Calstone. We're connected to the larger government force located on the Isle of Wight. That's a safe zone, free of walkers and there are a couple of thousand survivors there."

"That sounds nice dear. I was so scared earlier. Poor old Alan only has me to protect him."

Merryn enveloped the older woman in a hug and held her as she sobbed. Months of loneliness and terror worked their way out and the others in the group made tea, found some food, and prepared a meal.

After a few moments, Marcia disengaged from Merryn, brushed herself off, and pulled a tissue from a pocket. "Thank you, dear, I needed that. I've missed a good hug, and you do hugs rather well."

"My pleasure Marcia," said Merryn wiping a tear from her cheek. "I think I needed that too."

Over a cup of tea, Merryn brought Marcia up to speed on their own travels and then stopped.

"But that's why we're here of course. The base at Calstone picked up a Morse code signal from this base. Set on a loop, repeating over and over."

"Yes dear, that was me. I'm glad it worked. There were some old radios in the store here and an instruction manual and some technical information. I didn't have much else to do in the evenings so I taught myself to work it. I did break a couple though. You'll have to send me a bill for those."

"Well perhaps I can ask Captain Summers at base about that," said Merryn with a smile.

"That reminds me, we'd better call in." Merryn reached into her pack and set up the radio.

"Hello, Control? This is Scout 2, are you receiving me?"

"Scout 2, this is Control. Good to hear you Merryn. How's the team?"

"We're fine, and we've found another survivor at the old army camp on the moor."

"Hang on Scout 2. Let me get Captain Summers."

There was a pause and Merryn looked over at Marcia who was engaged in a game of cards with Tom, who appeared to be losing.

"Control. Summers here. You appear to be surviving Scout 2."

"Yes sir, all is well here and we've made contact with the base on the moor. There are no army personnel, and from what we've managed to ascertain they're all dead or left at the start of the outbreak. What we have found is a rather formidable woman called Marcia, a local farmer who's retreated here because it's more defensible than her farmhouse. She is well stocked, armed to the teeth, and has set up a smallholding within the fence."

"She sounds like a very resourceful lady. How was your trip there?"

"A little hairy going through Tavistock and we have encountered Stan again. There's something different about that one Captain. He took on several deadheads with a weapon. Admittedly it was a great hulk of wood, but he still used it as a weapon. And today we've seen something different. When we reached the base, Marcia was defending against a swarm of about fifty walkers. They seemed to be working in concert."

There was a pause from the other end of the line. "We're getting multiple reports of similar behaviour elsewhere Scout 2. Your drone footage from the gang attack in Plymouth seemed to indicate the same sort of swarm behaviour, and the folks in the Isle of Wight have reports coming in from scouts to the east saying the same thing. They've even had recent contact from a group in France that seems to confirm this. Things are changing Merryn. We're putting in place some contingency plans here, but I suggest you get yourself and your new friend back here as soon as you can."

"I ain't leavin'." Marcia had put down her cards and had been listening to the conversation, a determined look on her face. "This is my home now, and no goddam brain-sucking shambling smelly zombie bastard is going to make me leave."

"That'll be a 'no' then," muttered Andrew, grinning.

"Scout 2, is there an issue?"

"Our new friend is somewhat determined to stay here and look after the base."

"Then you'll need to convince her to move Scout 2."

Merryn paused for a moment considering her next words carefully. "Sir, did you ever have an older relative who ran the family, and everyone instinctively obeyed when they got together? Like a matriarch?"

"Yes," came the cautious reply.

"Well, that's what we have here. Respectfully, sir, I am going to decline your request."

"It was an order, Scout 2."

Marcia stood and walked over to the radio, her hand held out for the receiver. Merryn smiled and passed it to her pointing at the transmit button on the side.

Eddie winced. "Someone is about to get their arse handed to them," she whispered.

"Scout 2?"

"You will call me Mrs. Pike when you speak to me young man," began Marcia. "I have lived on this moor my entire life, and at eighty-five I am too damn long in the tooth to start taking orders from some voice on the squawk box. If you want me to join up then I will do so, but I will be defending this place against anything that wants to try and harm me or Alan. Do I make myself clear?"

There was a long silence and then a voice crackled across the airwaves. "Mrs. Pike, I accept your offer of joining up. You sound like you have the situation well in hand. If you would continue as acting Commander of the camp there I will inform the powers that be in the Isle of Wight that we have a field promotion. Thank you."

"Thank you, Captain. And if you could supply me with a working radio once your team has left it would be much appreciated. I'll send back some bilberry jam in trade."

"Thank you, Commander Pike. May I speak to Scout 2 please?"

Marcia handed the radio back to Merryn. "Such a nice young man," she said sitting back down opposite Tom who also now had a broad grin on his face.

"Damn Mrs P, remind me not to annoy you, ever," said Andrew, sketching a bow from the other side of the cabin where he'd been staring out of the window.

"You're fine dear, You saved me and Alan so you're always welcome here, as are the rest of you."

Merryn finished her conversation with Summers, signed off, and switched off the radio. "Right team, we head out tomorrow. Let's check the groaning heap of deadheads outside and get them moved away from the fence, then we can get a good night's sleep before we move on.

"Merryn?"

"Yes, Andrew?"

"We may have one more thing to do." Andrew pointed outside to where the lone figure of Stan stood looking at them through the fence. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

739 175 25
This story is an outcome of a drastically declining future. When humanity was completely lost and there was no one left on Earth taking care for it o...
4.1K 1K 27
The Wildfire Virus. That's the illness the eggheads have called dubbed that has spread alarmingly fast all over the world. No could figure out at fir...
Alive By teacup_s

Science Fiction

190 2 10
≫ ──── ≪•◦ ✦ ◦•≫ ──── ≪ │ 愛🧟‍♀️Surviving The End🧟‍♂️*.:。 ๑➴੭*ˊᵕˋ੭. _______________________________________ │༄🧟‍♂️ Many have their own idea...
58K 1.2K 23
{Most chapters are over 1,000 words} (Seasons 1 & 2) book one **** I AM EDITING THE EARLIER CHAPTERS **** y/n had known Daryl since before the world...