A Struggle of Power

Af starring697

Betrothed to the dark prince, Asterin must decide between choosing her duties, or her happiness. She already... Mere

Three Princesses
The princes
Aftermath
The Kings
New Beginnings
Shattered
Revelations and Betrayal
Unexpected
Family bearings
Fit for a Queen
Prince of darkness
War
Days end
Life's Short
On the line
Reign

The Nights of Bloomings

16 4 0
Af starring697

Asterin woke up looking up at the ceiling. She felt a heaviness pushing her into her bed, and she realized it was just her own excitement, and fear hitting her. She sighed replaying the previous day's events. It had all happened so fast. The sudden engagement, sudden asking to spy, sudden change Alexei had that made her heart flutter. It was all so fast and so quick for her. A soft knock at the door pulled her up.

"Is the princess awake?" Her Lady's voice brought a spark of joy through her. She jumped up and ran to her. All the heaviness had lifted from her leaving her light and free.

"Lady Winifred!" She wrapped her arms around her. "I didn't know you were coming." She smiled in excitement. She squeezed tightly as she sighed.

"Yes, well we decided we should be here on both big days. After all there will be a lot of people here, some that might threaten your life." She shrugged.

"You do realize there are plenty of guards here?" Asterin looked at her. She paused for a moment realizing the words that Winifred spoke that she had overlooked. "What do you mean by we?"

"I think she means me."

"Nikolai!" Asterin hugged her right hand. He was by her side as she grew up. He was the one she trusted the most at court, besides Winifred. Without him she would be at a total loss. "Oh it's so good to see you all again." She smiled.

"We as well." He smiled. "I think you two have some getting ready to do. I'll be just outside the door." He bowed, walking out of the room leaving the two alone.

"I brought you a new dress." Lady Winifred turned and grabbed the small box Asterin had overlooked. She opened the box and revealed her new dress. It was a pale blue, almost gray, and the top was see through. Silver flowers on the side that reached up and around her torso, creating stems on her chest. A silver neckline with small pearls wrapped loosely around her neck. The sleeves cut off on her shoulders and skirt made a little resemblance to a sky. "What do you think?"

"I love it." Asterin whispered. She slowly pulled it out of the box. "It's stunning."

"Good." She smiled. "Let's get you ready." She said.

Asterin smiled. She quickly turned, pulling the dress with her to the mirror. She looked at it pretending it was already on her. "I can't believe it." She said. "It's the most beautiful dress I have ever seen."

"Well, I want you to make a fabulous first expression." Lady Winifred added. "Well I guess it wouldn't be first." She quickly corrected it.

"I'm so excited." She added. "I am so excited for tonight." Asterin admitted.

"Is Prince Dietrich around?"

"Ugh." Asterin moaned. "Yes unfortunately. King Gallo has asked me to try and snoop around to figure out why he is offering his troops for them. Except he isn't allowing them to give much in return. He isn't asking for practically anything."

"It seems too good to be true." Lady Winnifred responded as she began to set the dress.

"I agree." She responded. "Except we don't like each other so I doubt he will tell me what I want to know." Asterin sighed looking at the mirror. "Madeline says I should ask Oriana for help in getting me out of the marriage."

With her head popping up meeting her eyes in the mirror Asterin could tell she was surprised. "What could she do to help? She is only just a princess."

"Yes, well, she'll be queen soon. King Gallo is sick." Asterin turned to look at her Lady.

"This is dangerous. She's not engaged and King Rheiner is looking for his son to be married when he takes the throne. If she is able to stop the marriage, she will have to provide someone else with plenty of power for marriage."

"It would also anger him to the point he would be targeting her and her people." Asterin sighed. She moved and sat on the long couch. "I cannot put her in that position. I really don't want to ask her, but I don't want to marry him."

"Have you talked to her about the engagement?"

"No. I haven't told her anything. I honestly didn't want Madeline to know but here I am." She raised her arms. "I have never felt so weak in my life."

"That's because you are far from being weak." Lady Winifred sat next to her. "You are strong, brave, and intelligent just like your mother." She grabbed her hand. "You are just like the snow that comes down on the court. Free, and with every passing second capable of doing something so different."

"Thank you. It means a lot to me." She gave her a hug. "At least this will be a party." She smiled.

"Now don't go too far off the rails though. You need a clear mind if you're going to do what King Gallo asked you to."

With that the two laughed and started to get ready again. It was going to be a beautiful journey and an even more beautiful night.

Madeline walked the halls early with Alexander next to her. They talked a little about politics, and how things were going with Mary back at home. When Alexander told her things had only gotten worse she felt her heart break.

"The people are rebelling against her. She is inciting fear into the people they don't want to trust her or you. They're afraid to leave their homes, and they're afraid for their lives. She said she was going to be tolerant of everyone, but she isn't. She's slaughtering them. Despite their religion, one wrong move and one wrong word they're dead."

"I'll write to her. I need her to understand she has to understand the dangers of this situation. I'll remind her of who she is." Madeline responded. "This doesn't seem like her." She sighed. "I'm worried about her." She added.

"We all are." He nodded. "We need to be careful about this." He added. "Approaching things will be slippery."

"I expect nothing else from politics." She responded.

Together they continued to walk through the castle. Smiling and nodding at everyone who bowed. The amount of people increased immensely. It felt almost too crowded for her liking, but this festival was always large. It was always like this because the Gallos always knew how to celebrate something.

"Princess Madeline!" King Gallo greeted her with open arms, like he always did. "Are you excited?"

"Very. It is good to take a break." She smiled. "It already looks so beautiful." She added.

"Yes, well it's not close to being done." He smiled in return. "I must take a leave. Ser Alexander." He bowed. "I'll see both of you tonight."

Once he was out of range Alexander leaned in and whispered. "He knows my name."

"Yes he does." Madeline added. "I have to get ready, and you should too." She smiled.

Walking back to her quarters. As she entered she saw Elise lining up a series of dresses. She sighed. She had to wear another dress. She wasn't used to wearing dresses so often and was getting very tired. She was looking forward to just ending the festival and returning to her comfortable armor.

"Oh good you're back. Which one would you like to wear tonight?" Elise smiled at her.

"I don't know. Which one looks more appropriate?" She asked. Watching Elise gesture to the golden dress she smiled. It was soft colored, and the material weaved, like a sash, over her shoulders. The chest was covered with a thin fabric, seen through. Underneath the sashes, there was an intricate design, almost representing flowers blooming, and a darker material falling down the dress. A little slit towards the bottom, while the sides smoothed. It was perfect. Elegant, soft, and nothing too extravagant. She smiled.

The two began to work at readying her. They started with a quick slip. Looking down and then picking up the dress and slowly placing it on her. As they smoothed the fabric Madeline had missed the small detail of jewels placed like flower petals on the top of the thin fabric by the neck. They looked for snags, and tucks of the dress. Madeline spun around and looked at every aspect.

"Oh you look beautiful!" Oriana walked into the room. "Lady Elise, your work is incomparable." She smiled. "I brought this for you. It will go perfectly with your dress." She handed her a small box.

Madeline slowly pulled the bow off and opened it. "Oh Oriana, this is beautiful!" She smiled. A small golden crown, thin and light, laid perfectly. A few small beads plated around.

"You can weave them in your hair." Oriana spoke. "I know you love to wear your hair in braids, which make these perfect to weave."

"It's so beautiful. I love it." Madeline spoke. She let her hands glide over them. She smiled. "I can't wait to wear it." She smiled. "Shouldn't you be getting ready?" Madeline broke her eyes and looked at him.

"I'll be getting ready soon." Oriana waved her hand. "I'll let you finish."

Left alone she smiled at the small box again and then smiled at Elise. "Shall we do the hair next?" She gestures to Elise.

Sitting down Madeline looked at herself in the smaller mirror. She smiled and watched as Elise let her hair fall. It was long and as they started working she had never realized how long her hair truly was. Watching Elise slowly pull back her hair and braid it, weaving the small golden threads and beads to go in. She smiled at how her hair was coming together. Leaving a few strands loose at the sides it looked incredible. Elise turned and slowly started to place the small crown on her.

"You look beautiful." Elise spoke. "We need to do your shoes, and your makeup."

"Yes." Madeline turned around and looked at the shoes lined up. "These ones." She pointed to a nice pair of heels, her most comfortable that matched with her dress well. "Not too much makeup though Elise." She matched her friends eyes and they laughed.

It had taken longer to finish than anticipated, but at least she didn't have to lounge around the room and wait. When they were done Madeline had stood up and walked to the ball. The first night was always a catch as she was able to see people she hadn't seen for so long.

Walking into the large room she found flowers, and vines reaching up the pillars. Candles lit the room with much light as the room was covered. The music was loud, as predicted, and the people on the dance floor seemed to enjoy themselves. Their colors are just as vibrant as the flowers. It was a beautiful thing. She smiled to herself as she watched everyone laugh.

"Princess Madeline."

She didn't recognize the voice, but as soon as she turned around she recognized who it was. "Prince Ignacio." She smiled. "It's been a long time." She bowed her head.

"It has been indeed." He smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm good, what about you?"

"I am well."

"I won't lie to you Ignacio, I am surprised to see you here."

"I am more surprised that I even got an invitation." He added. "Nonetheless I am hopeful to mend whatever happened that day with Oriana and Dietrich."

"Good idea, but good luck with her telling you what happened." Madeline looked down. "She's never been the same. She also disappears a lot more than usual, and no one but Alexei knows where she goes. Even then I'm positive he doesn't know." She added.

"Well I have to try." He added.

"Princess Madeline, Prince Ignacio!"

"King Gallo." The two said harmoniously. They bowed together and smiled.

"I hope you are all enjoying the night." He added.

"Of course. There's no other spring festival around the world that proves to be better than the one here." Ignacio commented.

"Ah, Ignacio you always know how to please the ears." The King smiled and brought him in for a tight hug.

"I always try." He laughed, embracing the hug. No one was safe around the King. He was intimate, and hugged everyone he could.

"Look! Oriana actually showed up." King Gallo looked over their shoulders. The two turned and faced the entrance of the room.

Oriana wore a black dress. The cover of her chest was see through much like the others, except black, with small red spots flowed up the chest almost creating a heart. Her torso was covered in ruffled flowers, and simply linings as if representing grass with small shiny black beads. Her hair was straight, a golden head band covering her head with a thin thread of beads falling at the sides.

Madeline leaned in to whisper to Ignacio, "You should pick your jaw up before her father sees." She laughed and approached her friend. "Oriana!" She hugged her greatly. "You look amazing."

"Oh please, you look perfect!" Oriana responded. "Is that prince Ignacio?" She asked.

"Yes it is, You should say hello before you get carried away."

"Carried away with what?"

"Carried away by Asterin and I." She laughed.

Together the two walked back to the others and smiled. "Hello Prince Ignacio." She was polite, and then quickly turned her attention to her father. "Father." She embraced her father's hug.

The four talked for a little time, and then when King Gallo excused himself he asked Madeline to come with him. "Is everything ok King Gallo?"

"Yes everything is fine, and I am sure you are well aware of their relationship. Let them mend it at the time of festivals."

Oriana stood there silently with Ignacio. She was nervous to see him after all these years. She didn't know what to say so she just admired the party. The colors, flowers, scent, laughter, and groups of people. As people walked by and bowed to them they remained silent for most of the small chit chat.

"Oriana." He broke the silence first. He looked at her and she met his eyes for the first time. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you." She responded.

"It's been a long time." He added. "I'm glad to see you are doing well. Can we talk about what happened?"

"I'd rather not Ignacio." She responded.

"I don't know what happened and all these years I have been pondering why you did it."

"I said I would like to stop talking about it." Oriana nodded. "I have to greet the guests." She responded.

She began to walk away. She walked through the crowd greeting, and talking to the others. Arriving at Asterin who tucked herself away in a small corner Oriana sighed in relief. When she approached closer she realized Asterin had collected bottles and hid.

"Would you like a drink?" She offered.

"No thank you. Stay sober though you have to dance at least once." Oriana warned. As they watched the groups they saw Alexei avoiding any close contact with anyone. They saw Madeline approaching them and stood straighter. "Done making your rounds?"

"I don't make rounds." Madeline responded. "Asterin, did you loot the castle's winery?" She looked around.

"No, I just found them lying around." She added.

A song of their childhood started to play. Oriana jumped in glee and reached for her friends. They people started to clap. "Come dance with me." She grabbed their hands and pulled them with her.

In the middle of the room they danced in a circle holding hands, laughing, and then letting go spinning. They invited others to join and as they began their pattern of solo dancing, partner dancing and group dancing they found all of them in a frenzy. They trotted, weaved, and ducked around each other. She enjoyed this. It was a statement from them all and they continued to run around. A circle engulfed them as they continued.

The crowded room uproared as the song ended. Hugging each other and bowing as they dissipated back into their groups. Oriana found herself grabbed by the wrist and when she turned around she found herself facing Ignacio. This was always his way of asking her to dance, and she had never been one to decline a dance no matter who it was. The music started slowly as they met each other's hands making eye contact. Stepping together in circles as he grabbed her hand and spun her.

"This was the first song we ever danced together to." He spoke.

"I'm surprised you remembered." She responded as she followed his steps, her hand over her head connecting with his and her other arm wrapping around his waist.

"I could never forget." He claimed. He gripped her hand and began to spin her again until she faced him and then dipped her. As the music halted the two faced each other.

"I have to go. I need air." She stuttered and rushed past him and the others. She ran into the large halls.

Asterin walked up to Ignacio, alone on the floor. "Chase after her." She spoke.

Oriana met the night breeze with a sudden gasp. She stood there looking at the darkness of the trees before her. The only light was the small moon and stars. She looked up, forming the images in the sky.

"What happened? What happened that night?" It was hard to see him in the dark light. Except his features were defined even in the dark. He was stern and he clearly wanted to know.

"I do not want to talk about it." Oriana looked at him. "I should've never blamed it on you. What happened with Dietrich is something I don't know if I can forgive. You and Dietrich are best friends. He is like a brother to you. You would've sided with him anyways. It doesn't matter. It happened years ago and I will never forget it. Ignacio what happened that day is between him and I." Oriana kept her face as serious as she could.

"If you told me I would've sided with you. I have always sided with you." He reached for her hand.

"You wouldn't have. You two were practically inseparable." She spoke. "You would've agreed with him because honestly I do."

"I'm confused."

"Then stop pushing." She paused. "Look, Ignacio I don't want to talk about it so please leave me be."

"I will, just promise me you'll wear this." He handed her a flower. "Wear it on your wrist. Take a boat ride together, and then we can talk. Together we can talk and try to mend our friendship. I have met dozens of suitable women to marry, but none of them were you. I have only ever wanted you. I am willing to start at the beginning all over again if it means I get to have you."

She grabbed the flower. She remained silent and when he walked away she found herself alone again. Alone but peaceful. Alone and when she was sure no one was watching she let herself fall into the grass.

"Oriana?" Asterin's voice was god-like to her.

"You're not drunk yet." She laughed.

"No, I decided to wait for one of us to have a crazy breakdown. We'll all get drunk together. You got a flower."

"I see you did too." Oriana breathed. "Who gave you yours?"

"Dietrich." Asterin responded in a soft whisper.

"What?" Oriana looked at her. "Dietrich gave you his flower?"

"Yes and to be exact he said 'it would only be right if the to-be husband gave his to-be wife a flower'. Isn't it so weird? All of us were just kids when we all met, and now here we are. Getting flowers at the nights of bloomings from the people we knew as a young kid." Asterin let out a small laugh.

"Are you ok with having to marry Dietrich?" Oriana looked at her friend.

"Not even close. I hate him. I hate him so much. He just wants my country. He wants my power, and he wants to ruin everything. After everything he did to all of us I can't just simply forgive him." Asterin added. "I don't even know what he did to you, but you know what he did to me?"

"No I don't. We never talked about him. We agreed not to."

"He talks about me being the child of a heretic so I belong to the devil and not God. He says the throne is not mine to take because of that. He constantly wants to fight us all. He doesn't rule for his people, no matter their title. He rules for himself." Asterin began to cry. The cracks in her voice and sniffles was the only reason Oriana knew.

She reached for her friend. "I will help you if you wish. Dietrich doesn't deserve a good woman like you."

"Thank you, but I cannot ask you to do so. If you do, you would have to offer another person for him. Someone somehow equal to me in power. I will figure it out."

"Anything you need I am here." Oriana squeezed her hand. "I promise. Now let's go finish our party. Let us drink, and get drunk. Forget all of our worries." She claimed.

The two stood up and rushed to the castle. Entering the run to Madeline and pulling her to their dark corner. They took their drinks and chugged them as fast as they could. "To friendship." Asterin said. "To powerful females." The others cheered as they grabbed their drinks and chugged again.

After a while their giggles were filled with alcohol. They stood wearily, and drifted from side to side. They danced by themselves in the dark corner. They smiled and shouted. Telling jokes and explaining humorous events.

"Tomorrow is the festival. Midday we will begin with activities. Madeline!" Oriana slurred her words. "Oh please be my knight in archery and win my heart by shooting the mannequin in theirs."

"I would be honored." Madeline responded. "I will wear all my armor and come to you on a white horse!"

"I love you so much!" Oriana reached forward. "You too Asterin. Even when there are three of you."

"Uh-oh sounds like Oriana got in over her head." Asterin laughed. She tried to walk but found herself almost falling. "I guess we all did." The others joined her in laughter. "King Gallo oh so kind of you to join us!"

"I think it's time for the three of you to retire." He smiled. Alexei, Alexander and Nikolai came from behind him. "Your guards will take you home."

"No! I don't have a guard tonight. Alexei is on a break." Oriana looked at her father.

"I'll take princess Oriana back to her quarters." Nikolai jumped in. "Alexei if you could take Princess Asterin to hers."

"Of course." Alexei responded.

"Boo! You're all bores." Oriana responded.

"Shhhh! Oriana, they'll hear you if you say that too loud." Asterin hit her.

"Oh you're right." Oriana began to panic. "If they know I think of them as bores then what will they do?"

"They might give up on trying to chase us down and find us. Then we would be all alone." Madeline responded.

"That won't happen. Come on." Alexander responded to her and then holstered her up.

"Oh no I'm being dragged away!" Madeline reached back.

"You're next." Alexei and Nikolai stepped in and picked the others up.

"No!" Oriana pushed Nikolai off.

"Just put her over your shoulder." Alexei responded.

Nikolai nodded and soon the girls were swaying and as Oriana was placed in her chambers where her lady Leda took it from there.

Madeline woke up to her head throbbing. She groaned as she rubbed her temples. She looked around and suddenly came to realize. Flowers were everywhere in her room. She began to look for a note to explain why there were so many. Her tabletops were lined with colors of all sorts of flowers. Finding no note she sighed. Confusion painted her face as she began to wonder.

"Princess." Alexander walked into her room. She turned and saw him smiling. "How was your night?"

"I wish I knew." She laughed. "Do you know who did this?" She asked.

"I may know someone involved, yes." He shrugged.

"They're beautiful. Tell the person in charge of it I will say thank you."

"I'm sure they're more than happy to do it." He added. "You have archery today at the festivals. That is if you are up to it. You'll be up against Dietrich."

"Oh I'm doing it. I'll do anything to humiliate that joke of a man." She spoke. "Do you have my armor?"

"Elise is bringing it as we speak. I just wanted to make sure you were up to it." Alexander stepped closer to her.

"Is that all Ser Alexander?" He was so close she could feel his breath.

A soft kiss from him was all that made her weak. "Now it is." He smiled. He took a few steps away as she recollected herself. Flashing him a smile she turned around. "Elise will be here soon. I'll stand on guard outside the door."

"Thank you." She responded to him. "Tell Elise to just come on in."

After dressing in her trousers, and loose shirt, with a leather corset over her. She wore her leather boots and her leather glove. She grabbed her bow and quiver and looked at Elise. Neither said anything but they knew what she was thinking. She was a little nervous. She was going to face many other excellent archers. She was excited, but scared. As a female she is scorned for her passions, and scorned for standing up against the norms of her society.

As she walked to the large outdoor festivals she saw everyone smiling. The tents were lined up and the flags that flew with the flowers that bloomed gave an intense color. She walked through the grass as people stole glances, and whispered to the person next to them. Their whispers were nothing good, but she knew she wasn't going to turn around. As she walked through the crowd she came across Asterin who seemed completely fine from the night before.

"Wow. You look like last night was nothing." Madeline walked up to her.

"That's because for me it wasn't." Asterin smirked at her. "Are you part of the archery event today?" The two turned around as they walked linked in arms. Madeline nodded as they walked together. "Who is it you're up against?"

"Dietrich." Madeline looked at her friend. "Kind of excited to beat him though."

"All my luck to you." Asterin added. "He's good, but you're better." She squeezed her arm.

"Thank you. By the way, your flower is beautiful in your hair." Madeline added. "Will you and Dietrich be on the boats tonight?"

"Yes. I still have to talk to him about his intentions with Monvir." Asterin added.

"Well good luck with that." She said.

The two split them up and Madeline walked up to the tent she was assigned to. She smiled and looked around. "So inspiring." Dietrich's voice only made her roll her eyes. As she turned she saw him wearing the same clothes as hers, but his leather was darker than hers. He wore black leather pants.

"What do you want Dietrich?"

"Just wanted to tell you good luck. Between you and I it's quite wonderful that you are going against what everyone else is saying and doing this."

"Oh Prince Dietrich does have a heart."

He chuckled. "No I don't. You see just cause it's admirable still doesn't make you qualified." He stepped closer to her. He towered over her considerably.

"You see Dietrich. I am not afraid of you. You are nothing more than a man who thinks God loves him more than anyone else." She pushed him back. "I also will not be treated anything less than what I am by you or anyone else."

"Good luck, Princess."

She took in a breath as they walked out of the tent. The king sat the their left with the queen. Oriana sat in front of them. This was the first time she saw the royal family all together. They all wore Monvir colors and sat presentably. The other royals sat just to the side of them in their own section.

She took in a breath and pulled her arrow from the quiver. She closed her eyes. She slowly placed the arrow on the thin string and raised it. She pulled it back and began to steady her breathing and focused. She released it and the arrow fired into the air and hit the heart. Perfect. She thought. Dietrich repeated her actions. When he barely hit the target he sighed.

"One point Stuart!" A man yelled.

"Good job Madeline. It's the only time you will do one." He responded. He grabbed another arrow and took more time. When he hit the target perfectly he smirked and huffed in approval.

She grabbed her next arrow. Taking her time she closed her eyes and imagined it right in front of her. She opened her eyes and then let it fly. It hit the target perfectly.

"Tie breaker!" The man screamed.

She grabbed the arrow and set herself ready. He did the same. When she smiled she released and again hit it perfectly. When she turned her head and watched him she saw him miss the target perfectly.

"Two Stuart! Game Stuart!" The crowd clapped and when she turned she bowed to the royals of Monvir and thanked them for hosting the event. For the first time she made eye contact with Oriana. She seemed serious, more so than usual. She didn't smile but bowed her head. When she turned to Asterin she saw her smiling.

Walking back to her tent she heard Dietrich walk behind her. "It was pure luck. I was off my game."

"No Dietrich. I won because I am better than you." Madeline faced him. "Now you should go and get ready. You have a boat ride with your to-be wife." She spoke.

"You're right I do." He smirked. "It's interesting to see how all of this will turn out in the end."

"What does that mean?"

"Oh you haven't heard the news?"

"What news?" She looked at him.

"King Gallo is sick, soon Oriana will be queen. I know you and the other two don't want me to marry Asterin. News flash, we don't get to choose." He spoke. "You and Oriana secretly plan on figuring out how to get Asterin out of this engagement. Well my father also knows of it." His eyes darkened. "Stop figuring it out now."

"Why?"

"Because if I don't marry her I would be forced to marry you or Oriana. It's how my dad is. Oriana's father would never approve, and if he dies, she becomes Queen. My father would do everything he can to force her hand. If she says no then you would be next. You and I both know that your heart is on someone else."

"Watch your tongue Dietrich." She slapped him.

"Stop it now." He spoke. He walked out of the tent and she felt her gut drop, heart stop, chest tighten and her tears threaten.

For the first time in her life she had felt threatened by something other than Nescain. She felt her heart begin to throb. Her breath shortened as she sat down. He was right. She hated to even think the words, but he was. He was right, and there was nothing they could do about it.

Oriana watched through the activities accepting the friendly hugs and warm greetings. She had ignored her friends most of the day, mainly because she knew wherever they would be Ignacio, or Dietrich would be there too. She had stuck with her mother for most of the time.

"Don't look so serious Oriana."

"Sorry mother." Oriana spoke. "I am just trying to do my duties."

"It is a bright day, a festival. Your duty is to be happy."

Oriana felt herself deplete. She was deflated. It was a hard morning. She had woken up from the previous day and remembered what was asked of her. She was asked to wear a flower on her wrist, and she had greatly wondered if she should. Part of her wanted to, and part of her didn't want to. She struggled to decide, but agreed to do so.

The flower wrapped around her wrist and as she walked through, doing her best to enjoy herself as she watched people do their activities. She smiled and laughed at people's plays and humor. They greeted her with such kindness.

"Princess Oriana."

"Nostradamus." She smiled. "It is wonderful to see you here. Thank you for accepting the invitation."

"Thank you for the kind invitation. I wanted to talk to you about something." He whispered. Oriana followed him off to the side to speak to him. When alone, the two looked around and continued. "I've had a vision. Two of you will face great tragedy. One will face blood, and another will face the death of a partner. One will face the ultimate betrayal. "

"Can you tell me who?" She asked.

"No. Last time I did this, I was betrayed." He responded.

"I understand your caution. I thank you for the information." She smiled. "Have you thought about my offer for staying at court?"

"I have and I am afraid to accept it."

"I understand, but you do have my word. No one at Monvir will hurt you, and if they try they will be convicted of treason." Oriana spoke. "Nonetheless the offer stands no matter your decision. I must get back to the festival."

Walking back through the bright grass she was grabbed by a strong hand and dragged into a tent. She gasped as she felt panic rise into her. She turned around quickly and faced Dietrich who stood leaning against a table. He had changed outfits, wearing black trousers and a black and gold shirt. He grinned at her as she straightened herself.

"Apologies if I startled you Princess." He pushed himself off and looked at her. "I just had to get a private meeting with you."

"Prince Dietrich, you didn't have to hijack my travels to speak to me. Request a meeting." She responded.

"Well it's urgent." He responded. "Princess, I got word. Othia is planning on attacking you. My men are ready to fight for you. Say the word."

"Why would I trust you?" Oriana looked at him. "You don't have a good record for me to trust you."

"Yes well I do have an ulterior motive, but one that doesn't relate to you or Monvir. Monvir would be helpful as an ally." Dietrich, for once, looked serious, and soft. He looked weaker than normal, as if something was bugging him.

"Dietrich, if Monvir is going to be your ally, then you need to prove to me I can trust you." She softened. "You and I have a dark history. Don't think I forgot what you said to me." She turned and walked out. Leaving him alone and her to sort through her thoughts.

She hurried her way to the courtyards of the castle. Closer to the walls and further from people. Between Nostradamus, and Dietrich the day became more and more peachy. She threw her hand over her stomach and began to ease her breathing. She felt alone in the large world, but to her it felt as if it was slowly caving in. Her father was dying, and he was dying rather quickly.

He was slowly losing himself every night. Oriana forced herself to stay strong around him and focus on helping him. This morning when she met him before leading to the festival, he had forgotten what he was doing, and had fallen over. His weakened state forced him to sit down most of the day. Knowing the truth made her heart break. He had taught her everything she knew. He had prepared her to take the throne.

Her mother was never found. It was simple to her. The day the King fell she wasn't around. Oriana, as the heir rushed to find her. Only to find her in the bed with another man. She knew her mother wasn't in love with her father, but she expected her to set a show. Her mother, now, pretended like nothing happened and she understood that there was nothing she could do to make her mother understand.

Now Othia was arranging for an attack, and she was lost. She didn't know what she wanted to do. She wanted to fight for her people, but the Othians wanted her land. They wanted her people, and who knew what they would do if they got it. She began to turn to the words of Dietrich. Could he be trusted? No, but she needed the help. Maybe Asterin could assist instead, but she couldn't ask that without much to give in return.

"Oriana?" Asterin walked into the smaller courtyard. "What's wrong?"

"Everything." Oriana spoke. "My father is ill, and soon will pass. Othia is planning an attack on us, and we have barely anything to stand our ground." She looked at her friend. "I'm afraid I have to accept the help of Dietrich."

"We will help you." Asterin placed her hand on her shoulder.

"I can't ask you to do that. Not without anything to give."

"Oriana, please do not worry about it." Asterin laid her head on her shoulder. "Whatever it is, we will do it together. You, Madeline, and I. The three of us will work together."

"Get back to the festival. I only need a minute."

Left alone she looked through her own mind trying to find something to latch onto. Something that would give her hope to fight. There wasn't much she found. There was no family for her. She was going to be left alone. That was something she would have to deal with eventually.

Walking back to the festival she felt her heart race when she was greeted by Ignacio's familiar smile. He was by a tent and said a simple goodbye to the group of men he spoke to. He walked over to her, and for the first time in a while she found herself following. Meeting him half way she gave a shy smile, and then grabbed his arm. She didn't say anything, but she wanted to. Except just being in the presence of someone would be for the best.

He seemed to know what she was thinking because he didn't respond either. He walked with her stopping wherever she stopped to see something. He marveled at how she was admiring all the handiwork people brought. All the colors, all the flowers, and all the laughter. It seemed right to him. It felt like it was meant to be this way. He was caught off guard when she froze and pulled away from his arm as Dietrich came into their view.

He watched her turn and walk away. She was fast and he wanted to follow her, he wanted to be next to her, but the urge to walk to Dietrich, his best friend, and ask him what had happened all those years ago was much stronger.

Asterin had enjoyed the festival as much as everyone else. As always it was beautiful. Monvir was a dream during the Spring, and Summer. The colors were extraordinary. The smells of the fruit seeped and lingered throughout the air. The thing that made the festival just that much better was how the people just got along.

"Princess Asterin." Nikolai walked up to her. "We couldn't find you, you had us worried."

"I am well Nikolai. I am sure there is no one here that would hurt me or attempt it." She added.

"Just checking. You can never be too careful." He added. "The sun is setting and the boats are being readied. I assume you will be going with Prince Dietrich."

"Of course. I will be on my way to find him. It would be good for both of our appearances to spend time together." Asterin sighed. "Do you know where he is?"

"I saw him earlier by the archery tent again. Do you think Princess Madeline hurt his dignity?" He joked.

"I don't know, but I hope so. Walk with me Nikolai. Tell me, have you heard from my father?"

"No, but I assume tomorrow if not by late tonight. Are you going to tell Princess Oriana and her father that you have asked your father to aid them?"

"No, at least not yet. I want to know my father's answer before I say anything. There is no reason for me to get their hopes up. If Othia is going to attack them then I need to make sure that I have a handle on what Ravkia will do." She saw Dietrich sitting down on a small stool. He held her hand.

"The sun is going down. Why don't you ask your future king to take a stroll before the boat rides down the canal." He whispered.

"I don't like the idea at all." She responded. "I suppose you are right though. I should at least make friendly conversations a thing if I am to wed him." As she began to walk over she stopped. Ignacio had stepped in front of Dietrich and began to talk to him. "What do you think they're talking about?" She asked.

"I don't know but by the way Prince Ignacio is gritting his teeth and the vein in his neck is popping, I'd assume he is not happy." Nikolai responded. "It looks like he might do something, why don't you go save your prince." He smirked.

"You have too much fun torturing me with this engagement." She poked at him. "Maybe if he kills him though I'll be free to go."

"And if he kills him then Prince Ignacio will be held accountable and your friend Oriana would be heartbroken. Save them both." He pushed her lightly forward and walked to the two men standing.

"I hate to interrupt what looks like a conversation of importance." She stopped before them. Ignacio smiled at her lightly, while Dietrich stood there watching her carefully. "I was only hoping to take a small stroll with my fiance before the boats. I haven't been able to talk to him all day with the festival activities." She smiled warmly at the men.

"Of course. I have to go find Princess Oriana anyways." He smiled at her, but she noticed the intense glance he made to Dietrich before making his leave.

"What is it you really want, Princess?" He looked at her carefully.

"I meant what I said." She responded by meeting his eyes. She had put on her soft eyes, as Winifred called them. "Please take a stroll with me."

He hesitated for a minute and then bent his arm allowing her to loop her within. "I guess I should say thank you for getting me out of that conservation."

"Prince Ignacio looked quite angry." Asterin kept her head down watch as their feet matched each other's strides. "Why was he angry?"

"Apparently Princess Oriana still isn't over what I had said when we were kids." He shrugged. "I won't take back what I said."

"What did you say?" She added.

"Oh she didn't tell you?" He stopped, pulling her by the elbow in which they were connected and looked at her.

"She hasn't told anyone I am sure. What you said to her really hurt her." Asterin looked at the cold man in front of her. Darkness in his eyes made him look even more sinister than before.

"Then I stand by what I said. I won't tell others what I said to her out of respect." Asterin scoffed at his remark. "What?"

"Respect? Since when did you have respect?" She unhooked their arms, placing her hands on her hips.

"Don't get me wrong, it doesn't come around often." He said. "I do respect her. I just show it differently. Now I thought you wanted a stroll, not an interrogation." He held his arm back out waiting for her to take it.

The sun had dipped completely leaving the stars to the naked eye and the moon to shine down. Asterin walked with Dietrich in silence after their talk. He was gentle and smiled at people who had congratulated them for their engagement. He thanked them, bowing nothing but his head and placing his free hand over hers.

After the crowd had dispersed and the only ones left were those pursuing the courtships he led her to their small boat. He grabbed her hand and guided her. He released her hand after he had pushed them off the shore and jumped in. The small lanterns on both sides were their only light source. The faint laughter and giggles made her feel alone. Everyone seemed happy, but she seemed sad.

He rowed them out and stopped. She kept her eyes on her hands as she played them together. The silence between the two was exhausting. She found herself thinking if it was Alexei there would be no silence. He would talk to her, joke with her, and laugh. God his laugh. She held back the smile when she replayed the laugh she had heard from him the night before.

"Princess." Dietrich finally spoke. She didn't feel like looking into his soulless eyes so she kept them down. When she felt his hand push her chin up she flinched. He laughed as if her scared reaction to his touch was some sort of power resemblance. "If I wanted to hurt you I already would've." He whispered, but his whispered hissed in her ears. "If you're thinking about that guard I'd suggest stopping. He's no good for you."

She rolled her eyes. "You know nothing about me."

"That makes two of us." He leaned back.

"There are rumors..." She began before he cut her off.

"As there always is."

"Rumors about you offering to help Monvir without a price." She finished. "Is it true?"

"I'm sure the other Princess already told you the truth."

"Maybe so, but I want to hear what you have to say." She spit the venom laced words at him.

"Yes." He added. "I have my own reasons, and I will not share them. Especially with someone like you."

She felt the daggers thrown in her stomach. "Someone like me? What do you mean a heretic's daughter? Or are you simply finding another way to say I am a woman of power that you don't agree with?" She couldn't let him have the satisfaction of hurting her. "My mother was a brave woman, and she did so much for everyone in my country. More than you will ever do."

"Easy with your words Princess." He gritted through his teeth.

"Or what you'll have me hanged? Perhaps burned at the stake with more heretic accusations. Oh but if you did, you would lose Ravkia, and you'd never have our precious kingdom that expands across all the land." For a moment there was silence. As she looked at him she could've sworn he was hurt, but in a second the darkness in his eyes were back.

"Is that what you think of me?" He asked. "Let me tell you something Princess. If you were to die, I would marry any other woman that held something to their name. This includes your precious friends. Which one do you think my father would prefer? The one fighting Nescair or the one fighting Othia?"

Asterin stopped for a second. She never thought about that. The three of them were always single women, and it wasn't until recently her father began to look for a suitor, and landed on Dietrich.

"They would never accept the marriage proposal." She responded.

"They wouldn't have to. Their King, or Queen, would. You think about this now. Would Queen Mary turn down the offer to marry a Beleras Prince?"

He was right, but he was also wrong. "Queen Mary wants Madeline to love the man she marries, so no she wouldn't accept. Not for her sister. Take me back, I would like to rest." She finished.

His small scoff didn't go unnoticed. As he rowed them back and helped her out she hurried off. Rushing to her room she closed the door behind her quickly. Breathing heavily she fought the tears that threatened her. Why was he right? Why was he almost always right?

"Princess Asterin." The small voice of Alexei came from behind the door. When she opened it and met his eyes, all her fear went away. "Are you ok? I saw you running, I wanted to make sure you weren't hurt or in danger."

"I'm fine Alexei. Why are you back?" She asked, shocked.

"I didn't give my flower to anyone last night, so no court." He shied away.

"No one caught your eye?" She smiled.

"One did, but it was silly." He shrugged.

"No, come on, tell me." She pushed his shoulder a little bit.

"Promise not to laugh."

"I only promise I will laugh if it's Oriana." She smiled again.

"Well it's not, it's you." He rushed the words, she was sure she would've missed them if she had been slightly distracted. Her heart stopped beating and fell to her stomach, creating a wave of fluttering butterflies. He handed her a small flower and turned on his heels to walk away. It was then she realized she didn't respond and he felt it was best to leave her.

She reached for his hand and pulled him back gently before he could get too far. She looked him in the eyes and smiled. She gave him a light peck in his lips before letting him go. Expecting him to walk away he stood there. Just as shocked as she was.

"Tomorrow, meet me in the maze we used to run around in as kids." She whispered before walking into her room and closing the door.

Madeline had returned to her quarters early. She didn't want to court anyone, but the man she loved. She had her heart set on him. Her heart and mind was always beating and working for him. When he knocked on her door and showed himself she leaped up and hugged him with great intensity.

His warmth enveloped her neatly as he hugged her back. The two stood with their arms wrapped around the other. Had someone walked in she would surely be doomed. Except she didn't care, she just wanted him. Alexander was the one she wanted with every drop of blood she had.

"I missed you." She whispered.

Feeling his hot breath on her skin he whispered back, "I missed you too." He finally pulled away. His light brown eyes staring deep into hers, as if he was reading her soul. "We have a word from the Queen. He pulled the small parchment out of his pocket and handed it to her.

She grabbed the paper from his hand and slowly turned away. She began to walk through the room as she read the letter. She felt her hand cup her mouth to stifle the whimper she almost released. The movement was enough for Alexander to jump to her side quickly. She felt him examining her with his eyes. Trying to find where she hurt.

"Mary." She looked up at him. "Mary lost the child." She sighed. She looked at him with blurry vision. He hugged her tightly. Without an heir that makes their home a target. They were vulnerable to Nescair. She gripped him tightly before slowly falling to the ground. He held her closely in his arms.

"It's going to be ok. She will conceive another heir." He whispered. He kissed her head. "Mary is strong and she will push through. Nescair will not hold any claim onto the throne Ryraq. I assure you."

The sadness that swelled her heat made her weak. She was deeply ruined by the news. The heir was the only good thing they had going. Mary had been avoiding Darnley, but their child was an extreme surprise and when the child was born there was not doubt that the child would one day rule Nescair and Ryraq, the feud finally fading away. The threat finally coming to a halt.

A loud noise drew her attention. She shook away the tears and gripped onto Alexander who was already on guard. His sword was drawn as he ordered her to step back and prepare to run if there was danger. He patiently waited, all focused on the door that led to her chambers.

"If someone catches the two of us in here." She whispered.

"I came in to give you the letter, and then the loud noise happened. There's no evidence that there is anything happening." He didn't turn to look at her. He just watched the door. Her heart pounded as she waited for the door to bust open. What would happen? Would they die? Would they survive?

She reached up and pulled him into a kiss. She wanted him to know she loved him, no matter what happened. When she pulled away she whispered the words to him to ensure the meaning. He nodded as he returned his gaze to the door. The commotion outside was loud and almost threatening.

She jumped when the door swung open. Alexander lunged quicker than she had ever seen before but pulled back when he saw Nikolai and Princess Asterin. He closed the door and looked at them. "What's going on?"

"Othia." Asterin responded.

A light knock came to meet the door. "It's Alexei." Nikolai was quick to open the door and let the final soldier in. He looked around grateful to see the others around, but then froze. "Does anyone know where she is?" His eyes closed. When no one responde he sighed. For the first time his anger fumed him. "Alright, we have to get you to the stables. Once at the stables there are horses for you to take. Take them and ride north. Go to the mountain, and there will be a small cottage for you to go to. Take shelter there and I or another guard will come to get you when it is clear."

"How do we get to the stables?" Madeline looked at him.

"By following me." He responded.

"What about Oriana?"

"She's managed to get out of my sights more than once, and I believe she can get out of theirs." Alexei nodded. He turned and peeked out to the hallway and then began to lead them.

Madeline had felt her heart pound as Alexei to the front and Alexander took the back. Watching all the ways the three knights protected the two of them. They were silent and crept through the halls and stopped pushing their backs against the cold stone to avoid being seen. Madeline looked across the blood stained floors and splattered windows. She wanted to stop and pray for every soul lost but she knew she couldn't. That was when her attention turned to Alexei holding Asterin's hand guiding them.

Reaching the gates they slipped through a small crack and went to the stables quicker than she thought possible. The air was warm on her cheeks, and the loud noises alerted her more. She looked at the horses and sighed. Something else she was good at, riding. She jumped onto the back side of the horse waiting for Alexander and Nikolai to join them.

Once they were, they nodded to Alexei who pushed them off. He slipped a small guide in Asterin's hand before they were long gone. Madeline had noticed how they were all so visibly shaken. To attack a place on a night of celebration was disastrous. It was an abomination really. Even Nescair wouldn't dare do such a thing on such a sacred day for her people. They stopped at a small tree line and looked back. The loud commotion still very real to them the two knights had to keep them going.

"I hope Oriana is ok." She spoke first.

"She will be." Alexander nodded. "Just like Alexei said, she knows her way around more than most people, and I am more than positive she will do everything she can to stay safe, and keep those around her safe as well."

Madeline nodded. "I just worry about her. She hasn't been the same since we were kids, but no one knows why."

"It's because Dietrich said something to her." Asterin shrugged. "We just don't know what."

"I wish we did. Maybe we would know why she's always running around and hiding."

"She's hiding?" Nikolai looked over.

"Understatement." Asterin responded.

Silence blanketed them once again as they rode and the noises came to a muffle, and then stopped. Too far to hear anything Madeline felt her heart stop. It was too hard to think about people she knew and adored dead, but even harder to think that there was nothing they could do about it.

Oriana had heard the cries of attack before. She knew who was coming, and she knew it was too late. When the attack started she rushed to her small hobby room. She grabbed her sword, and a dagger for safe measures. She quickly discarded her dress and placed nice cloth on her, only to cover it with her black armor. She ran down the winding stair as she drew her sword and parried the strike coming right at her. Slicing the arm of the man and then kicking him down the stairs to his ultimate death.

She rushed down and saw Ignacio fighting. He was quick on his feet but he was starting to get overwhelmed. Rushing to him, she thrusted her sword into one of the men taking his own, and then threw it into one of the others. The two placed their backs together as they began to become surrounded.

"Oh look, it's the princess." One of the men snarled.

"Maybe we'll keep her around." Another responded.

A quick shot to the head that came from their side took her attention. "Lorenzo!" She smiled. The tall man with blonde hair and blue eyes rushed to them and began to fight. The three huddles in the blood bath as she used her armor to shield what she could when she knew she couldn't parry.

Looking at the dead bodies she heard a loud horn. Their retreat horn. They had somehow managed to fight them off and win. Othia was retreating and the only thing that was to be left was the blood of their people spilled on her soil.

"Are you ok?" Lorenzo cupped her cheek.

"I'm just fine, Lord Lorenzo." She smiled. She pulled from his touch and went to Ignacio. "Are you ok?" She asked.

"I am, because of you." He smiled. "Lord Lorenzo I'd say it's nice to see you but under the circumstances I can't say it and mean it."

This brought a laugh from the other man. "I'm just glad you are both ok." He looked at the two.

The sound of heavy armor dragged their attention away. "Princess Oriana." Three men bowed to her. She could feel the heavy news, as she recognized them all. Her father's guards.

"Where is he?" She demanded.

"With Nostradamus." They responded.

She hurried knowing the other two followed them. She rushed to the medical room where many people were getting wrapped up and bandaged for their wounds. She saw the small curtain and pushed it back to reveal a door. When she opened it she saw her father laying on the bed. He was already weakened and now he was not strong enough to survive this.

"Father." She walked in. "Father it's me." He groaned as he turned his head to see her. He smiled loosely and she could tell it was only minutes.

"You will be the strongest leader Monvir has ever seen." He spoke. His words whispered, but still loud in her ears. "Don't let the past dictate you now. Let your heart decide." He spoke. "I loved your mother, but as I began to see she didn't love me the same, I lost myself. Lorenzo, and Alexei were placed to protect you as your bastard brothers for a reason. Let them help you in times of need." He cupped her cheek, using his thumb to wipe away a tear that escaped its confines. "You are the heir to the throne, and you will be the best Monvir has ever seen."

"Father, don't go." She whispered.

"It's ok to be afraid." He responded. "I was too. I'm not going anywhere just yet." He smiled more firmly now. "It isn't my time. This I know." He responded. "You just need to hear the words now, because after I get out of bed I will be hunting Othia." He sighed. "Tomorrow, I need you to take the throne, and tell the people it is ok."

"What if they don't believe me?" She grabbed her father's hand.

"They will, because you have two wonderful, bastard brothers." She smiled at their little secret. "Alexei, and Lorenzo will lead the people in understanding and believing. You just have to believe it yourself." 

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

347 29 32
In a few short months, everything changed as Damira discovered things about herself and her past she never would have thought possible, but was it wo...
561 239 17
"Young Girls are told to be delicate princesses but you can be a warrior." ⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕✴⭕ A warrior is born. Destined to be...
34.1K 3K 39
THE WEIGHT OF THE CROWN IS FEATHERS COMPARED TO A BROKEN HEART. After a heartbreaking betrayal, Raelle prepares to face the man she was falling in lo...
1.4K 159 125
In a world where darkness makes its presence felt more and more with each passing day, two sisters who live away from curious eyes are about to disco...