My Rowdy Cowboy. (3B Ranch S...

Por _Becca_Lynn__

With the eighth anniversary of his twin brother's death during a military detail drawing near, Randy (Rowdy)... Más

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
Epilogue

24

5.4K 351 11
Por _Becca_Lynn__

**** The men were setting up camp when...

"Boss, you there? Over."

"Go ahead, Charley. Over."

"Uh, you're not gonna believe this, but we found some cattle in a little boxed in ravine. Over."

All work stopped as everyone digested the words.

"Our cattle? Over."

"The 3B brand boss. They've been kept up. Guess the rustlers were waitin' for others so they could ship a bigger herd."

"Can we get 'um out? They in good enough shape to go back with us? Over."

"Yesssirrreee to both! Over."

Beau glanced around at his hands and family with a grin. He looked at the girls,

"You two up to turning the trip back home into a round up?"

"Yeah!" Kaylee squealed.

"Awesome!" Ava added.

"What are your coordinates? Do you need help? Over."

"There's four of us here and about thirty five head so we can manage, sir. There's a pretty well traveled trail into and out of the ravine. It's just been really well camouflaged, we woulda missed if a calf hadn't bawled. We could probably get back to you late tonight or tomorrow mornin'. I think this could be used as a temporary holding pen in the future when we're gatherin' for market. Over."

"Good man. The guys are already designating an area for them. We'll start back to the ranch the day after you get um here. No rush, it's been a rough day, rest up tonight and start 'em back tomorrow mornin' after breakfast and coffee, we'll be waitin'. Let me know if ya need help. Over."

"Thanks boss, will do. Um, boss, how the girls doing?"

Beau smiled and held the walkie toward the girls with the button down.

"Hi, Charlie!"  Kaylee called.

"We're fine Charlie, thanks for helping find us." Ava added.

Beau was chuckling as he added, "I think they'll do Charlie. I think we'll  all feel better after the girls see for themselves that Topper will live. "

"I think we'll  all feel better for that Boss. Any word when he'll be coming home?"

"Dr says he'll be there a bit." He turned to the men and added, "And I want to thank you guys, each and every one you. Thank you, I'll  never be able to repay my debt to you." He held the walkie to his mouth again, "See you when you get here Charlie. Over and out."

Beau turned toward the gathering, "That goes for all of you. I can't begin to thank you all enough for all you've done." There were many boots scraping the dirt and "Aw, its ok." "They're our girls too boss," etc. Beau had to take a moment before he could continue. Brett cupped his shoulder, so proud that his brother was the quality of man that inspired such loyalty, sacrifice and courage.

"I realize that men, but it was a dangerous mission. One you didn't have to volunteer for. But I am forever grateful and I hope you all know that if there is ever anything I can do for any of you....just ask."

There was much muttering and more than a few damp eyes.

* * *

Beau and Brett looked at each other.

"Well, that's a sure fine way to end the day." Brett grinned.

"It sure is." His younger brother answered with a sigh of relief. "Darn shame Rowdy had ta go on to the clinic to take care of the wounded and stabilize them."

"You can call and tell him about it, Dad." Ava suggested.

"Oooh yeah! That'd sure make him feel better, don't ya think?" Kaylee added hopefully.

"Beau looked at Brett and winked.

"Maybe you're right at that, would you two like ta do the honors?"

"Could we?" Ava squealed.

"Really?" Kaylee gasped.

"I believe that would do him a world of good, so, be my guest - he deserves it." Their father assured them with a smile.

The girls were on the phone with Rowdy for the next 30 minutes sharing the exciting news and finding out how Deputy Small Bear, who had now risen to hero status was doing well. He would spend some time in the hospital in case infection set in. The girls asked Rowdy to relay their get well soon wishes, feel better and thank you and promised to visit him while he was layed up.

"That's good ta hear, ladies! Makes my night. So when does yer pop think you'll be headed back to the ranch? Any idea?" He asked.

"He told Charley to make camp tonight and rest then bring the cattle to us tomorrow." Ava answered. Then Kaylee finished,

"Then he said we'd start herding them back to the ranch the day after they get the cattle back here. We get to be on a real round up! That hasn't happened since last year!"

"That's great, ladies. How 'bout lettin' me talk ta yer dad a minute."

"All right." Ava answered and held the phone up between herself and her sister and they said together after counting to three....

"Bye, Uncle Rowdy! We love you!"

"I love you too." The cowboy medic could be heard chuckling as the phone was handed over to Beau, who was grinning. He immediately turned the speaker off (much to the girls' disappointment).

"You take the phone off speaker?" Rowdy asked.

"Yyyyuup! Guess you can guess what certain people think about that." Beau answered.

"They're probably frowin' atcha right about now." Rowdy chuckled again.

"You'd be right about that."

Over the next few minutes Rowdy peppered his friend with questions regarding the girl's physical condition, particularly Ava.

"Do ya really think she's up to it? That idiot was apparently pretty rough when he yanked her off that horse."

Beau walked away to speak more privately while Brett garnered the girls' attention with a card game.

"Brett 'n I have both talked ta Patricia 'bout that. She seems to think if we travel slow, reduce the bumping as much as possible Ava will be ok. She's so excited about the prospect I'd hate to deny her and we do have her saddle. One of the hands repaired it already and received a hug."

Rowdy chuckled, "I know she'd be disappointed ta miss it....and you couldn't very well send her home an' let Kaylee stay."

"No, that wouldn't be fair. She's not been askin' for the pain meds much and I haven't seen signs of a lotta pain. Brett hasn't either, an' we've all been watchin' for the least sign believe me."

"Is Trish still with you just in case?" Rowdy asked of his sister.

"Yes 'n no. She should be here in an hour or so with the Land Rover and medi-camper," Beau chuckled.

"She never was too thrilled about campin' out in the great outdoors as I recall."

The two friends laughed outright together and shared a couple of Trish stories. Beau was thankful that the two were on good terms again. He knew how much their separation had hurt his friend.

"Ok then, as long as Trish is in easy access and helps keep ahead of Ava's pain. She knows what she's doin'."

Beau chuckled again, "She's deliberately stayin' far enough away that the girls can't see where she set up her idea of a camp. If we need her, she's just a few minutes away and if it gets too bad for Ava, she'll ride in the Land Rover like it or not."

"Uh huh." Rowdy added skeptically, glad Beau couldn't see the wide grin on his face.

"I should be back at the ranch when you guys get back. The hospital is sending their chopper out for these guys tomorrow. I'm keeping them all on IV antibiotics to ward off infection. There's been no sign of it yet and so far, Small Bear is holding his own, but you know how fast infection can take hold with animal bites."

"That's great. Sooo, what kind of prognosis does he have? Any guesses?" Beau asked, almost afraid of the answer.

"Well, that arm won't be the same. I expect he'll have decent use of it, but not like before. I think that his good sense in not tryin' ta pull his arm away went a long ways in saving a lot a problems."

The former bull rider looked toward the sky and silently gave thanks.

"I'm glad ta hear it, Rowdy. Real glad. Thank God it wasn't his right arm."

"Yeah. That's a big somethin' to be grateful for.  Pop, Bobbi an' I have talked some about that. The miracles just keep happenin'.  With all the bad that happened, there are still blessings and that's a big one. He'll be keepin' his good arm barrin' unforseen problems. Not sure yet how it might affect his job though."

"Well, if that becomes an issue, he'll always have one here, That's for sure. Thank God we didn't lose any of our people. How's Topper doing? They're keeping him sedated. The surgery went well. It'll be a rough recovery. "

"I imagine. Hmm. Maybe now would be a good time for him to start the plans for that Paleontology camp he's been askin' about. And we might as well get a church built, he could take over as minister. Several of the hands have spoke about gettin' their families into church, but they're all so far away."

"That's a great idea Beau, it would benefit so many people!" Rowdy exclaimed.

"The Good Lord was sure lookin' out for us, it's time we made Him more welcome." Beau answered.

"Da-a-ad!" The girls called in unison.

Rowdy chuckled, "I think yer bein' paged, Bro. They're probably afraid we're cookin' up a way ta send 'em back."

Beau joined him in the laughter, thankful to have something to laugh about.

The conversation over, he slipped the phone back in his pocket. The rest of the evening past pleasantly around the campfire. Several of the hands had gone hunting and came back with rabbits and game hens. While they were being cooked over the open fire, Trish had arrived and put the camper stove and oven to use. They had a meal of roast rabbit and game hens, baked potatoes, mac 'n cheese, green beans and brownies for dessert.

Everyone savored the meal, the company, and the knowledge that Tap was receiving the best of care and would soon be home. One of the hands had taken the Land Rover and delivered a meal to the hands who watched over the herd.

As everyone was settling down for the night, Beau got out his guitar from the camper and began to strum softly.

"Da-a-d-d-y?" Ava asked. "Do you remember when we camped out that night after you adopted me?"

Remember? He would never forget. It was one of the happiest days of his life. He smiled as he strummed.

"I remember, Tadpole. It was a good night." He smiled and winked at her.

"That night, you sang that song. That one that I like so much, you remember? Sing it for us tonight. I don't think Kaylee's ever heard you sing it before and you do it way better than those famous guys."

Brett chuckled and lifted his boots off the ground and studied them.

"You think it's gettin' a little deep around here, bro?"

"Don't think there's any think to it." He grinned and looked at his daughter under raised eyebrows.

"It's true! I love that song and the way you sing it, is awesome. And it's a cattle herding, camp out kinda song, please."

Several of the hands who had been listening to the conversation winked at each other and added,

"Plea-ea-ease."

Beau gave his men a good glare. They just laughed. 'Well, that didn't work out quite as planned.'

They all knew he could sing, and all agreed that he could have gone pro had he put his mind to it.

"Alright, but I'll need background."

The men agreed. Happy with that little victory Beau began to yodel softly as he strummed the guitar and sang in his deep baritone voice about the cattle lowin', jinglin' spurs and a lonesome cattle call.

"Oh, wow! That was awesome, dad!" Kaylee praised starry eyed.

"Sing it again....please."

"Please." Ava begged.

The two brothers smiled at each other. Feeling contented and thankful, he sang the song again softer and softer. By the last verse he was singing to his beautiful, happy, sleeping daughters. He continued strumming his guitar and humming the song as several of the hands joined softly. They too enjoyed hearing their boss sing the old campfire songs that fit his voice and him so perfectly.

They all agreed that he and Rowdy were keeping the wonderful life of the cowboy alive and well and they couldn't be happier.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

16.3K 550 10
Kaylee Worthington isn't your typical, rich teenage girl. In fact, she's a tech geek. Two days after witnessing her father's murder, she runs to her...
13.6K 1.3K 45
📖Featured by @adultfiction on "Kills and Thrills" reading list📖 Previously known as "Undercover: Fake Identity" *** "What are you running away from...
1.7K 254 63
In this third novel of the Terribly Acronymed Detective Club, a year has passed since the events of "Rude Awakenings." Rachel and Al are now foster p...
25.5K 527 18
The AK's, and Evie, Jay, Carlos, and Mal are all in their senior year of school. Ben broke Mal's heart by cheating on her with Audrey. Carlos swooped...