Paris

By 19RaeNegade

In times where a war between the rich and the poor commences and evil lurks in the darkness, miraculous rebel... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77

17

431 28 10
By 19RaeNegade

{+}{+}{+}

Marinette's P.O.V

   The room grows ever more silent at Lila's command, even the guards seem taken back (but keep a stoic face). I tense, eyes widening from the shock of current events. My body suddenly feels frigid and my trembles turn into full-on shaking.

The guards didn't hesitate much longer, readying their swords for a final attack. Neither of them wants to commit the deed in slaying both the blonde and me. Yet, they do not have a choice. It is either kill us...or them and their families. Another despicable and stupid rule by the "lovely mayor."

   I close my eyes, waiting upon the pain. My heart rapidly beats against my chest like it wants to break loose and run just as much as my feet do.

   I do not want to die but no one else is going to be willing to stand forth. No one would have defended the blonde male. They are all too afraid and cowardly. Yet, I do not blame them for such fears with how broken and messed up the laws are.

   Hopefully, my sacrifice will give Chat Noir enough time to escape. I hate leaving Tikki shortly after she lost a other holder. But we all have to play a part in this war.

   It is not like I will be mourned upon or missed...nobody has ever cared for me, anyway.

   Clang!

   I shoot my eyes open at the sound of metal against metal. I gasp, seeing the close proximity of two-weapon collide near my face. A sword that was about to pierce my skin is halted by a familiar baton, blocking the attack. I blink, letting what is happening process before glancing to my right.

   Chat Noir is in a protective stance, eyelids narrow with justice swimming in the color green. My mouth is left slightly agape, unbelieving of what I am seeing.

Chat Noir is protecting me.

But why?

I thought he hates the wealthy class?

"I think you need to get your priorities straightened," Chat Noir retorts, pushing back the guard. With a smirk, Chat Noir mockingly taunts the guards, "Would you ladies like to dance? This is a party, after all."

Clashing of weapons commences. I carefully watch, naming every sword fighting move in my head Chat Noir displays. The battle carries on for a little while when my arm is suddenly yanked on.

I stumble, somehow keeping on my feet. My mother I urging me to follow her while Chat Noir creates a perfect distraction for us to get away. Everyone is too focused on the fight (and probably placing bets on who will win) to focus on our escape. Though I could've sworn, I saw Lila watch us go and smirking about who knows what. I did not put much thought into it at the moment.

I follow mother out the doors we entered earlier, heading for our carriage parked outback. The coachman is holding open the carriage's door while father is sitting within it. Father stands up and offers a hand, helping mother and me into the horse-drawn transportation.

   "Are you two okay?" He asks, concern laced in his voice. I nod in confirmation while mother keeps quiet. She is rubbing the sides of her temples as a headache has formed.

   "Sabine?" father questions.

   "I am delightful," mother sarcastically replies.

   The carriage shakes, signaling our departure and movement from Lila's household. I watch it grow smaller and wonder how Chat Noir is doing. Did he get captured? I do not believe so, considering he is a fully-trained miraculous user. Plus, he is a very talented sword fighter. I am sure he can take down a few guards with ease.

   Yet...I do not know what is going to happen to me now after what just happened.

   I know the consequences will be severe.

   Maybe, I will finally be placed into the poor class. Then, I will not have to be forced to marry Luka. I will never see the other two "ladies" again. No more extreme rules or laws. No more being locked away. I can practice the art of sword fighting.

   This might actually be a blessing in disguise. Although, I could have done without the life-threatening part.

   "You have made a humongous mess of things this time, Marinette," mother seethes, "I will need to arrange for the wedding to be sooner."

   "What?!" I exclaim.

   "Do not say another word, young lady. You have already done enough damage as is. If have any sensible reasoning left in your head, I suggest you bite down on your tongue right now and keep quiet! The only time you will talk again is when you apologize to Lady Rossi and your fiancé."

   The woman I thought was changing her ways suddenly vanishes. My old mother has returned. I clutch the skirt of my dress and grit my teeth.

   "I will never apologize for protecting an innocent man's life," I growl. I am through with her abusive words and empty threats. I am done being her perfect puppet and letting her pull my strings. I am prepared for whatever heinous rebuttal mother will retaliate with.

Yet, it does not come.

Instead, mother's facial features soften a little and let out a long sigh. She gloomily said, "I know you will not."

She turns her attention toward the passing buildings, resting her chin in the palm of her hand. I did not expect her to say that. I am confused by the shift in her attitude. One moment, mother is a raging hurricane. The next, she is a dreary drizzle. I wish I can read mother better to understand whatever conflict is progressing within herself.

I thought I knew my mother but it turns out she is just as mysterious as Gabriel Agreste.

I turn my attention the other way, watching the city's scenery pass by. Paris's lamplights shine through the night, giving the streets an ominous glow. My mind wonders, picturing what this city would look like from a higher point during the night.

"It must be beautiful," I think, my gaze drawn to the heavens. I blink, narrowing my eyes when spotting a glimpse of movement in the rooftop's shadows. I try searching for more movement but my attempts are futile.

   Maybe, it was just an animal or my mind playing tricks on me. I do not get the chance to think about it any further when we arrive at the mansion. Honestly, I am very relieved to be back. It has been a long night and I have a busy day tomorrow.

   "Welcome back, Marinette," Ella greets me with a curtsy once I enter my room, "I have drawn a bubble bath and set a fresh pair of sleepwear on the counter for you."

   "Thank you, Ella. I appreciate it," I smile at her full of gratitude. I understand that it is her job but I will always see to it that hard work will never be ignored. I head for the bathroom to destress myself.

Chat Noir's P.O.V

   After escaping that wretched place, I track down the maskless maiden and follow her carriage to her home. I watch the bluenette enter a mansion, curious about who she is. In my many years, I have never known an upperclassman like her before. She looks the part, lives the part, and plays the part of a wealthy person. Yet, she does not act the part.

   She is different from other wealthy civilians.

   She does not flaunt her money or brag about her family's prosperous reputation. She has this fiery confidence that does not dampen her modesty. She protects and defends a stranger's life though her hands tremble in fright. The rich are taught to keep a perfect, happy front but she shows true human emotion. I see it fitting how she was maskless (besides her fiancé) unlike everyone else at the party.

   It is refreshing to see the slightest bit of change in the wealthy class. It is not extraordinarily big but it is a start. Where else does change happen but the beginning. A singular person can make a significant difference.

   My baton vibrates, alerting me of a call. I open my weapon, seeing Rena Rouge and Carapace on the screen.

   "Did everything go well? You should have returned an hour ago and we noticed you moved somewhere else on the tracker," Rena asks. The couple has a look of concerned parents on their faces. My fake ears droop a little. I feel somewhat guilty for making them worry.

   "I apologize. Yes, I am alright. I just got a little...sidetracked. Also, I may have a big lead on who Hawkmoth is," I quickly answer so the two would not question why I was "side-tracked." Rena and Carapace express shocked looks on their face.

   "What?! Who is it?" Rena questions, particularly pushing the turtle hero aside and putting her entire face in the picture.

Seriousness radiates from my stature when answering their question, "Gabriel Agreste."

   A strange noise comes from my left, immediately making me go on high alert. I get a strange feeling that I am being watched and scan the perimeter for anything unusual. The darkness does nothing to coat my vision since my feline powers let me see through it. Though, I do not see anything amiss. Though there is a strange smell in the air.

   "Is everything okay?" Carapace asks, "You look a bit on edge."

   "Yes..." I half-lie, keeping my guard up, "...I am returning right now. I will see you all in a bit."

   I end the call and vigilantly search one last time. I vault off into a random direction that does not lead toward the poor section. I continue over the rooftops until I know it is safe to return. I land on the dojo's roof and slide into the building. Rena and Carapace are huddled on a bench until my presence captures their attention.

   "There you are!" Rena bursts, shooting off the bench and onto her feet, "Where in all of Paris were you? Do not think I am just going to let that "side-tracked" excuse slide away? We thought you were kidnapped or something!"

   I huff, "I can handle myself just swimmingly. I am sorry for getting off track but something caught my attention. You are aware one of my feline attributes is curiosity."

   "You could have at least told us you were going to be out a little while longer," Rena continues arguing.

"Why do you need to know my every move? I am not your child!" I hiss. I wave of silence washes over the room. Realization crosses Rena's face before it shifts into a stricken one. Her shoulders sag and seem to shrink in on herself. I tilt my head to the side, wondering what has come over the fox heroine. I have rarely—if ever—seen her in this state before.

Carapace seems just as confused as I am with Rena's sudden quietness.

"Uh...yes...of course, you are not..." she murmurs, hugging herself, "I...I think it is time for me to go home..."

"Hey, what is the matter?" Carapace questions, moving by Rena Rouge's side. Before he could place a comforting hand on his girlfriend's shoulder, a look of fear appears and flinches away. Rena realizes what she has done and sorrow fills her brown eyes.

"Sorry...I just...I need some sleep is all," she reassures with a grimace and heads for the skylight, "Goodnight, you two. Also, Chat Noir...I am sorry for yelling at you."

She exits the building and heads back home. My gaze lands on Carapace, who seems just as lost as I am.

"What was that about?" I ask.

"I honestly do not know," he replies, "I will need to talk with her. You did a really good job tonight, by the way."

I give a nod, "Thank you. I think it is time that I turn in for the night."

"As will I," Carapace agreed. We both gave each other a fist bump before going our separate ways. I land in my bedroom and detransform, my Kwami greeting me in the same way he always does.

   "I am going to die of hunger. Need food," Plagg feebly says in a dramatic tone. I toss him some cheese, recalling the strangeness of today. The party. Gabriel Agreste. The maskless woman. The feeling of being stalked. Rena Rouge. Everything that happened tonight.

There are many puzzle pieces placed out in front of me and missing ones. I just need to put together what I have and find the rest to form the entire picture.

I will discover the truth one piece at a time.

{+}{+}{+}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

233K 4.8K 33
[UNDER EDITING]Marinette and Adrien take on Hawkmoth in the final battle, overcoming challenges Ladybug never thought she'd face again... including C...
484K 11.3K 60
During their Junior year in Highschool, Marinette was forced to go back to her roots. The country of China. Leaving her friends, and Adrien was hard...
14.8K 536 28
Marinette has always been there for Paris as Ladybug with the help of the charming Chat Noir. After having a terrible accident, Marinette is unable t...
76.3K 4.1K 47
When an akumatized victim begins to attack Marinette with the supervision of Hawkmoth, Chat Noir attempts at being her protector. Due to a distracti...