Never Left Me (Completed)

By GenHope

"Even when we departed you never left me. I carried everything you said to me and did for me even when we wer... More

Description
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four, Part One
Thirty-Four, Part Two
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four
Fifty-Five
Fifty-Six
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-One
Sixty-Two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-Six
Sixty-Seven
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy

Twenty-Five

8.2K 835 1.3K
By GenHope

Hearing the irritating sound of his phone ringing, Genesis groans flipping over in his bed. He blindly stretches his arm to his nightstand feeling for his phone with his eyes still closed. Finally, grabbing it he looks to see it's Kross calling him.

"Hello?" Gee asks with attitude still half-asleep.

"Have you heard from or seen Caprice?" He wipes the sleep out of his eyes looking up at the ceiling. He's used to these types of calls because being a manager proves to be just like being a parent to bad ass, wild kids.

"Not really. It's 11 in the morning," he looks at the clock on his nightstand that reads 11:22a.m.. That's early considering he went from the club for one of his artist's shows to the studio for another's recording session. He was up until 5 in the morning.

"Can you do me a favor?" Not really.

"Yeah."

"I'm in Atlanta right now. Can you go to Caprice's Houston condo and see if he's there? Then get him on a flight. He had a mandatory court date this morning in L.A. that he missed. They issued a $50,000 bench warrant for his arrest because he didn't show up. They rescheduled it for 3 days from now. Go with him and make sure he gets there and everything's sorted out."

"Got it." They hang up and Gee drops his phone to the bed letting it bounce. He sighs while sitting up on the edge of his bed. "I don't get paid enough for this shit."

He looks at the windows that shine in light and he just takes a second to listen. It's completely quiet. It should be no surprise considering he lives alone, but sometimes it doesn't hit him. He's alone. Went to sleep alone and woke up alone. He might not have been in love with Kelsey, but it was better than nothing. Him thinking like that is the sad part. He knows he needs to get a handle on that mentality.

He was finally doing good in life. In every sense of the definition he'd be considered successful. All the people he thought he could share it with are no longer around. His closest friends from back home are either dead, incarcerated, or turned out to be fake. His mother and grandmother won't move out of Kentucky despite him making the offer. And now his father's deceased.

Gee gets out of his bed looking at a picture frame that's flipped down. It's a photo of him and his father where Gee was a child and Genaro was fresh home from prison. They both wear big smiles happy to be reunited. It was given to him by his grandmother, but he couldn't even glance at it most days.

"I love you, but you gotta let me sleep peacefully, big dog," he says as if his father's right there in the room with him.

If Gee's not having dreams about his father, he's having very vivid flashbacks that can be deemed as nightmares. They're either from the night he was shot, when he killed Kasino and shot Fade, or when Juju died in front of him. As great as his life is now he wonders about karma coming back on him. His grandmother always said you reap what you sow.

Lately, Gee uses work to avoid sleeping. Even the nights he's able to go to bed early, he ends up waking up at 2 in the morning. So he rather do something productive until the wee hours of the morning. That leaves him with only a few hours of sleep everyday, but it's better than dealing with soul-stirring visions every night. It's at night when he's home alone that he's tormented by his grief and suffering.

After taking a shower and getting dressed, he goes downstairs to his kitchen. When it comes to Caprice he's taking his own sweet time getting in contact with him. Regardless, the rescheduled court date isn't for another few days, so there's time to buy. It's not like he went on the run or something stupid.

While fixing a cup of coffee, he looks at the G shaped flower box that Magenta got him. He's confused how they went from her giving him this, the long talk in the car, or having fun taking pictures and doing the interview to her being cold again.

It was no different at Pandora's birthday party. She started off distant then they seemed to be good at the club. Then in the car it went back to cold after what he said. Gee was drunk when he made that small confession, but he meant it. A drunk mind speaks a sober heart.

It's been two days since that car ride. He's not surprised he hasn't heard a word from her. A lot has changed about Magenta, but she still seems to be a runner when it comes to him. He'll give her grace. He's not trying to rush anything. But he's also going to make some things clear, so they don't end up in the same situation as college...

By the time Gee gets to Caprice's condo it's after 1p.m. He called his phone numerous times with no answer, so he had to get in his car and drive over. He wanted to avoid doing that, but he needed to at least pinpoint Caprice's location since no one on his team could.

He knocks on his door patiently waiting. It takes repeatedly knocking and waiting ten minutes, but the door finally opens. Caprice is shirtless with his hair all over his head as he wipes his sniffling nose. "What's going on?" He asks in confusion with squinted eyes.

"What's going on is you're supposed to be in L.A. for a court appearance."

"Shit, I forgot," Caprice runs his hand over his head.

"Nigga, how you forget? You have a warrant for your arrest now. Pack a bag and I'm booking a flight. Be ready when I tell you. I'll let you know when we're leaving." Gee blows out air already starting down the hall for the elevator.

Genesis thinks about all the stuff he needs to do. He still has to pick up his suit for Choice's wedding from his tailor. He also has to pick up the gift considering he ties the knot this weekend. He doesn't need this right now. It's throwing off his schedule.

Two Days Later...

Sitting near the gate for his flight to Los Angeles at the Bush Intercontinental Airport, Gee has airpods in. Flying to another state for his artist's legal problems isn't exactly what he planned for this week. This is exactly what he was talking about with Kross before they signed Caprice. It brings more stress and problems taking the focus away from his career.

Gee's glad Caprice went to go get something to eat. Gee responds to emails in peace when he hears a familiar jarring, female voice. Looking up he sees Amil standing over him trying to get his attention. She wears big shades to hide the swollen and black eye she got from Magenta.

Pulling one of his airpods out he raises his eyebrows. "Hey. I've been seeing you a lot lately." More than I would like.

"You going to L.A. too? Can I sit?" Before he can answer she's moving his backpack and sitting anyway.

"What was that about at the club?" He can't help himself from asking, especially because Gen didn't say.

The night of the fight Amil went on to make some tweets and Instagram story threats. It was to save face after the video started circulating on lower-level blogs. Gen didn't respond though. Clearly it was on sight for her and she didn't want to do any talking.

Amil smacks her lips. "That shit was out of the blue. That girls mad about something that happened 4 months ago. She had how many months to do that? All because we went out and I left her. Fuck her. She grown. We're grown. She was drunk as hell passed out. This ain't college. I didn't have time to deal with her sloppy ass."

Gee can see she hasn't changed a bit and that's not a good thing. "It doesn't matter what a person's got going on. You make sure they're good. If we came together, we're walking out together. How could you feel right telling their people you went somewhere and left them if something happens to them?"

"She's in her feelings. She'll get over it like always," Amil brushes it off.

She done beat yo ass twice. I don't think so, he ponders to himself. He thought he'd be glad when Caprice came back and he started talking to Amil. Gee pretended he couldn't hear them with his headphones in, but truthfully, he listened to their conversation. All he could make out was them talking about the fight between Amil and Gen. What he made out for the source of contention seemed to be missing pieces. All he could gather was that Caprice didn't think Amil was wrong for leaving Gen.

Gee's glad when they land in L.A. and go to the courthouse. He wants to get back to Texas as soon as possible. Sitting around for hours, Caprice is finally called to see the judge. Gee sits with the rest of Caprice's team in the audience as he explains why he missed the original court date.

He listens to the judge and attorneys discuss Caprice's charge for possession of an unregistered firearm. They all decide there's enough evidence to go to trial before the prosecutor steps forward.

"After further investigation and a grand jury vote we would like to add the charges of rape and reckless endangerment based on witness testimony and evidence provided." It's like time stops as Gee stares at the back of Caprice who sits next to his standing attorney. "The defendant's formally accused of having sex with a woman while she was incapable of consent by reason of being physically helpless or mentally incapacitated."

"Do you understand the charges?"

Before Caprice can answer and give his plea, Gee is walking out of the court room into the hallway. He's seething with anger. He knew his gut feeling was right. It all added up between his old management dropping him and his label rushing the release of his album.

Gee wastes no time calling Kross. "Did you know Caprice was being charged with rape?" he shoots out.

He can hear Kross let out a long sigh. "He told me he was being investigated, but it wouldn't turn into anything because it was bullshit. His lawyer said only the gun charge should stick. They charged him?"

"Yes, it's going to trial. No one said anything about rape charges. How am I supposed to work with him in good conscious?" Gee paces.

"What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Niggas get accused of rape all the time. It damn near comes with the fame to get a rape case. Rappers, athletes, politicians... They all get accused of some shit for the sake of money," Kross makes excuses.

"But here's the thing... This isn't a civil suit. It's a criminal case. The victim doesn't want a pay out. Whoever this is wants this nigga in jail. Clearly this isn't a lie for the sake of money or clout."

"A woman scorned. Some women are so demented they'll go to these lengths for revenge over a broken heart or promise. Who knows. We just have to let this play out and find a strategy for his career to maneuver through this. If he's found guilty before our year is up, we drop him. It's going to trial and now we'll get all the details."

"And what if the details are so undeniable nobody believes his innocence? It'll be a waste of time and money to keep him signed. Whatever, bruh," Gee hangs up. With a groan he sits on a bench before throwing his phone that slides across the granite floor. "Bullshit."

While Gee's in the hallway trying to work this out in his head Caprice's legal team is trying to work out the petition they put in to let him tour internationally. They asked to push the February court date to the summer. The judge agrees to allowing him to tour, but the court date will remain the same.

To others this may be an example of how the judicial system doesn't take rape charges that serious allowing him to travel so freely. He is prohibited from being near the alleged victim, possessing a firearm, and the use of illegal drugs. The judge also up'd Caprice's bail to $500,000. While his team goes to post it, Gee decides to go look at the court documents since he's at the courthouse.

Gee's able to get access to the police affidavit regarding probable cause. From first glance a lot of it's redacted for privacy reasons which is understandable. From looking them over he gets enough information...

The charges began being investigated after an August interview with the victim who's only listed as a Jane Doe. In the affidavit, the woman says she was drinking with the defendant and others before she began to doze off and lose memory before fully blacking out. She believes she may have been drugged.

The woman said she doesn't remember much after drinking until the next morning. She woke up still at the studio at 5a.m. undressed on a couch next to the defendant. The victim had no specific memory of an assault taking place. The defendant was still asleep and she didn't know where her phone was because they took them the previous night. Without a phone she couldn't call an Uber. She asked him for her phone, he refused. She asked him to take her home he refused and continued to sleep.

The alleged victim admits to taking his car and keys to leave still feeling out of it. A few hours later the defendant, his security, and two friends showed up at her hotel to get the car. While there, the victim was threatened for refusing to give his car back until she got her phone back in exchange.

During the dispute, Wilcox pulled a gun on the victim beginning to threaten her. That's where the reckless endangerment charge came from for brandishing a firearm. During the argument it was also mentioned that she had sex with Caprice and there was video of it. They threatened to release it if she didn't give the car back. She did not remember engaging in sexual intercourse let alone it being recorded.

The complaining witness ended up giving the defendant his car keys without receiving her phone not wanting to further escalate the situation. She immediately went to the hospital where a rape kit was conducted and a police report was filed.

The woman claims she suffered injuries that includes bruising on her arm, neck, thighs, and inner knee. She also claims when asking people who were in attendance what happened that one of the defendant's friends said the guys were talking about "teaching a lesson".

Caprice is facing a maximum sentence of life in prison if found guilty. Although, he plead not guilty to the charges today.

By that afternoon Caprice is all over headlines and blogs. TMZ got the exclusive and was the first to post about it considering they were in the courtroom. They also looked at the court documents. This resulted in Caprice trending on Twitter as the public weighed in with their opinions.

Right now Gee's feeling like they're fucked.

The same day that Gee got back in from Los Angeles, he had to be at Choice's wedding that evening in Houston. In a Dior suit he tries to knock the edge off with a glass of D'usse. He's glad they welcomed the guests with a red carpet, live jazz, and drinks. He needs it.

The elegant decorations in the dimly lit room set the perfect atmosphere. Staring over the top of his glass Genesis furrows his eyebrows when he sees Pandora and Colby walking in together. Gee raises his head noticing her red silk slip dress slightly matches Jux's suit pocket square.

Gee narrows his eyes letting out a 'hm.' It was one thing that they were all over each other on her birthday at the club. He equated that to the large consumptions of alcohol. Wildly twerking and making out didn't constitute anything major.

They both also tend to be on the free side anyway. Pandora was also flirting with his friend, Kross, all night and they exchanged numbers. Gee tucked this in his brain as 'peeped' then decided to mind his business.

"I must've not got the memo to bring a date," Gee says slyly after Jux and Pandora greet him.

"Date? I didn't even use my free plus one. We just rode in the same car. Saving gas," Jux explains as they both shrug taking sips from their champagne glasses at the same time.

Before Gee can respond Pandora asks, "Since when did he get out of prison?" It makes them all look in the direction she is. They all have confused faces looking at Breon talking amongst multiple men.

That quickly they're distracted by Magenta's mother rushing up. "There you are Pandora. Twinkle's looking for you. Hey, Jux," she says clearly scatter brained at the moment. Gee looks at her with a smile waiting for her to notice him.

"Gee?" Tempest says with revelation. He nods and she grabs him into a hug. "Oh my goodness! I haven't seen you in forever. My boy," she pinches his cheek making him laugh. "You know I've been keeping our secret Facebook conversations away from my daughter."

"She knows."

"Really? Who snitched? She probably saw them when she was fixing my laptop."

"I told her," he leans in. Seeing her eyes light up, Gee looks just as amused.

"You two talked?" He nods. "I'm shocked. That girl can hold a grudge if you really push her where it hurts," Tempest shakes her head. "I'm glad. You two were so close. You became family. You came over on Thanksgiving. Anybody who puts up with that shit more than one year is insane."

"Oh, nah. It was either be alone and y'all always welcomed me."

"I'm glad you're here. I'm hoping you'll be my next child-in-law," she tilts her head making him chuckle because Tempest was never one for subtlety.

"One step at a time, Ms. Temp." Someone yelling her name makes Tempest snap back into the fact she's the mother of the groom with less than an hour before the ceremony starts.

"I'll see you at the reception. Glad you're here," she quickly hugs him once again before leaving with Pandora.

"You and ol' boy good?" Jux asks nodding towards Fade who's across the room every so often looking at Gee already.

"On my end, yeah. At first, my mind is no talkin' when I see his ass again. He was doing all that social media shit when it first happened. That ain't me. It's just when I see you, I'm on that with you. We can discuss it like men or it can be Merry Fist-mis."

Jux laughs asking, "Now?"

"I'm far removed from that street shit, but it's always in me. I just rather leave it in the past," Gee swallows down the rest of his drink. But he knows the reality is he shot Fade. That's not something someone's going to forget or let go of.

Fade had been spreading lies for years that Gee had statements (that don't exist) sealed and he's the one who told. He blames the move back to Kentucky on the fact Gee was scared Fade would retaliate, so he asked to go back to his home state. That's a lie, but he's running with it like it's the truth.

Fade even went as far as making threats that Gee's not allowed back in Texas, especially Dallas, as if this isn't a big ass state. He doesn't run shit. Gee's been living back in Houston since he got shot in 2018. He doesn't know why people think they can run him out of anywhere.

Jux blows out air seeing Fade approach them. He feels awkward when Fade only acknowledges him. "I thought you had five years?" Gee asks bluntly.

"Good behavior...Surprised you're still friends with Choice. We usually don't associate with people who tell."

Gee laughs truly finding it funny. "You don't even believe the bullshit you're spewing. You and I got the exact same sentence. 5 years probation. The only difference is I wasn't stupid enough to violate, better yet, get caught for a violation and have to actually do the five years."

"The truth is...You snitched and ran back home to Kentucky knowing you wouldn't be safe."

"The truth is you're a snake. How are you at the wedding of a nigga you were jealous of?" Gee's about to bring up how he still thinks Fade had something to do with Choice getting robbed and shot. He almost brought up the night he saw Fade with Kasino before he killed him, but not with Jux standing here.

"It was all a misunderstanding," Fade smirks drinking some of his champagne. "Me and Choice always bounce back."

"That's absolutely fine."

"You wanna know the difference between you and I?" Fade asks stepping closer to Gee as if that should intimidate him. "There's a quote... If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

Gee narrows his eyes. It means if there's a fight and injuries are inflicted you should finish it in a conclusive manner. Don't let things linger. Don't wonder where you stand or what's going to happen next. It's better than leaving loose ends.

It was his way of saying Gee should've finished the job when he shot him.

"Oh, and thanks for taking care of my son with Trinidad those first few months," Fade makes the shot with the laugh. "See you in the wedding..." He holds up his glass walking away.

Magenta looks at herself in the mirror as her makeup and hair is now done. She wears a bridesmaid dress made out of satin. The bodice has a built-in corset that accentuates her small waist and hourglass shape. She smooths her hand over the fabric knowing she looks beautiful, but not really feeling it.

After seeing Caprice all over the blogs now that his rape charge is public she doesn't know how to feel. At first she wanted to run and hide even though no one knows it's her who's the victim. Her anxiety's on ten wondering if her identity could be outed at any minute.

She knows if people discover she's the accuser it could ruin her career in the music industry. Once you out someone with more superstar power you're at risk for never working again. Honestly, when she reported it, she didn't actually think the charges would be picked up. If the person has power, money, and fame it disappears somehow.

It's very rare that a victim in the music industry can step forward and keep their career. You would have to give it up. It's the sad reality. That's why she chose to be anonymous.

There's no way she'll be able to interview the artists she wants. Work with the artists she wants. Get invited to label parties, award shows, events. The industry's a small place and people will talk. And 90% of the time they're going to take the side of the male artist over a woman behind the scenes. This is hip-hop where it's male dominated or the women involved play the game to keep their connections.

Without even knowing who the alleged victim is people are still dragging her. She's been every name in the book without anyone knowing her name. She's a liar, clout chaser, hoe, thot, groupie, money hungry, you name it.

Despite the serious accusations on his name, Caprice declined to make a statement at this time but maintains his innocence.

In the grand scheme of things, that doesn't even matter today. Something much more important is happening. Her favorite sibling is finally saying 'I do.' This is a huge moment, especially for a man who spent most of his life taking care of the most important women in his life. Today he's about to gain another one to spoil, protect, care for, and love along with his mother and sisters.

Gen sighs giving herself one more glance over. She moves the dramatic side sweeping sash on the train of the gown stepping out of the bathroom. Her heels click as she knocks on another dressing room that's occupied by Choice's bride-to-be. Chandrika says come in and she opens the door smiling at the sight of her...

Magenta always liked ChaCha for her brother. Most of their life she lived down the street from them. Chandrika met Choice when they were 10-years-old. She was the pretty, cool older girl in the neighborhood. Her and Choice always found their way back to one another. Finally, he proposed on a boat with ChaCha's dream engagement ring that they designed together.

ChaCha's brushed out wavy tresses go perfect with the Old Hollywood, vintage glam of the wedding. It makes Gen gawk upon her entrance. "Chandrika."

"Ooh, sis, I love you, but just cause you knew me ya whole life doesn't mean you can keep hollering my government name, Twinkle," she teasingly smiles.

"Excuse me, ChaCha."

"Actually, that's a little childish at my age now. Call me Mrs. Thomas," she gloats making them both laugh before hugging rocking back and forth.

"Isn't life funny? I remember you sneaking into his window all those nights and I had to hear y'all fucking. Scarred my young, precious ears."

"You used to hear us?" Cha covers her mouth.

"Girl, I was young, but not slow. Now y'all are getting married," she squeals. "Can I ask a question? How did you and my brother come back together after all those years? How'd you know he was the one?"

She shrugs. "It kinda was fate. It wasn't planned at all. We ran into each other and we started dating again from there. But it was like dating a brand new person. We didn't come in expecting the person we knew as a kid or teenagers. A fresh start. And how I knew he was the one? When you know, you know. You may not know it when you're younger, but you will eventually."

Gen thinks on it. Mostly about Gee and what he said the other night. It's always been you, has been haunting her.

"Well, I'm glad you two knew. I'm ready for some nieces and nephews. I just knew one of my siblings was going to pop up knocked up. I swore he was gonna have a bunch of baby mama's. I'm proud he doesn't, but I need some kids to spoil."

"I haven't even walked down the aisle yet. Slow ya roll, sis," ChaCha laughs.

"Sorry."

Chandrika's aunt barges into the room saying, "She needs to get in her dress. Let's go." Everyone else is running around stressed, but the bride's completely relaxed. There's no nerves when you know you're making the right decision.

"See you at the end of the aisle," she waves being dragged out of the room.

Magenta leans against the vanity when Felicity walks in. Gen stands up straight immediately feeling uncomfortable because she still hasn't told her about Caprice. "You look nice," she compliments her sister awkwardly as if they don't have on the exact same dress.

"You hooked up with Caprice?" Felicity blurts out putting weight on one hip peering into Gen.

"What? I know you're not doing this on our brother's wedding day."

"It's been bothering me a few days. I heard rumors you were at the studio with him, your friends, and his friends some months ago. Someone there said you were making out with him and you gave him a lap dance. I didn't want to believe it considering you're my sister."

Gen furrows her eyebrows not thinking this would be confronted today. "Who told you that? Never once was I giving him a lap dance or making out with him." She stops herself wondering why she's explaining this. "Is that why you tried to kiss Gee? As payback for a rumor that's not even true?" Gen asks remembering what he told her.

"Don't change the subject. You went behind my back and hung out with my ex. With a bunch of groupie hoes at that. Why didn't you tell me?"

Getting frustrated, Magenta paces making her heels click. "I'm the Jane Doe!" She yells making Felicity's face turn to stone.

"What?"

"I'm sure you've seen the accusations against him. The night you're asking about is the night from the case. That was me. I'm the Jane Doe. I was taken advantage of." She still hasn't been able to utter the words rape or even sexual assault since it happened.

Magenta doesn't know what to expect her sister's reaction to be. But not this... "Just tell the truth if you hooked up with him. You don't have to lie by saying you were drugged and taken advantage of. Drag it out and take it to court, especially with no proof!"

"No proof!? I have a whole criminal case. It's not hard to look up the documents and affidavit that outlines everything."

"I read it and it says the girl," she stops to correct herself. "–you don't remember anything between a certain timeframe. How can you just accuse Caprice? How do you know what really happened then?"

Gen could feel her heart shattering into a million pieces as her eyes become glossy. "Something happened to me, Tink!"

"Do you realize what you're saying? You're accusing him of rape. Caprice is a lot of things, but rapist isn't one. You could ruin his career, his life."

"My life has been ruined these last couple of months. Me! Your sister! You're worried about a nigga who doesn't give a fuck about you?!"

"Caprice and I are back together," Felicity holds her head high as if that's something to be proud about.

"Even after the accusations? Regardless if it was me or not."

"I'm standing by him. You didn't tell me. You should've told me sooner. It's been how many months? If it really happened don't you think that's something you'd tell your sister?"

"I was wrong for being there in the first place knowing your history with him. I wasn't thinking I shouldn't be there hanging with your ex. That's the first step where I went wrong. I shouldn't have been there. I should've told you sooner, but this hasn't been easy to process. Especially when I'm still unsure of all that took place that night."

"You kept hanging out with him a secret, so it makes me wonder what else you kept hidden. If you slept with him and this is your way of not looking like a fake bitch who backdoored your sister by fucking her ex give it up. Just drop the charges," Felicity crosses her arms over her chest.

Felicity didn't say, 'I don't believe you,' but she's implying it. Gen scoffs saying, "Fuck you! I'm not dropping shit." She tries to walk by Felicity who's in the doorway as their shoulders bump. Her sister grabs her arm making her say, "Move!"

They hold a stare and Felicity tries to pull her back. From there they're in a tug of war. Gen snatches her arm back as they begin pushing one another. They clearly don't want to full-on fist fight, so they scuffle like when they were little kids.

"Hey!" They hear as their mother sprints in. "I know you two aren't fighting?! It's your brother's big day and nothing should ruin it. This is my first child getting married. Don't start y'alls shit!" She stands in between them.

"She-" Felicity starts, but Tempest holds her hand up in her face.

"I don't know what you two are fighting about, but right now it doesn't matter. We can talk about this later. We have 15 minutes until showtime. You two need to be lining up. Let's go!" Tempest snaps. Magenta glares at her sister before fixing her hair and dress following behind their mother.

Magenta was able to put on a smile despite having to stand next to Felicity during the ceremony and the wedding party pictures. Gen's glad when they get to the reception portion of the night sitting at her assigned seat. She watches with a smile as Choice and Chandrika have their first dance to My First Love by Avant and KeKe Wyatt.

She's trying to be happy about the festivities, but it's hard when she wants to molly-whop Felicity upside her head. She stares off noticing Gee sitting at a table across the venue. The lyrics of the song don't help her already conflicting feelings. Gee raises his hand and holds up two fingers as a wave. Gen gives a wave back before looking away.

Sitting through the wedding party toasts, she's glad when the long speeches are done. Everyone thought they were until Fade taps a glass and stands up receiving confused looks.

"I know I'm not a part of the wedding party, but there was no way I couldn't say something. I've known Choice practically my whole life." Gen rolls her eyes wishing he'd go away. "I still remember when Drika went off to college at Prairie View. You were sick and in distress. Three hours was like having to catch a boat, plane, train, and bus to you back then," he makes people laugh. "We've been through everything together. And if anybody knows how much he loves ChaCha it's me. I'm glad to see you got your happy ending, bruh. You deserve it. I'm also glad we're back coo. You're my best friend. Just know I'm here to stay."

Magenta follows Fade's eyes realizing he's staring straight at Genesis. She knows Fade being out isn't going to bring anything good for anyone...

After dinner the music is turned up and people fill the dance floor. The DJ's playing all the Dallas dance hits from the early 2000's that had the house parties going up. Flex by The Party Boyz plays as her and Pandora dance with each other like it's a middle school function.

When they start playing slow songs she decides to take a break. Fanning herself she gets another drink before sitting down at a table. Tempest sits in the seat next to her with a plop. "Woo!"

"Dancing a little too hard, huh?" Gen chuckles.

"Your brother invited RayRay and I had to show him I still got it," she fans herself with a menu.

"Mr. Ray? The man who owns the pawn shop you used to work at when we were kids?"

"Yeah. He done got fine with that salt and pepper beard. He divorced now too."

"You're a mess," she laughs. "I'm surprised you've been single so long since the divorce with Savino. You always kept a man."

Tempest rubs her feet after removing her heels. "Relationships aren't end all, be all. It's okay to be single. I've dated, but it's about having a good time now. I like my freedom and independence. Have you dated since the breakup with Noah?"

"Uh, not really. My generation is interesting," is the only way she can put it.

"I think you have the perfect candidate available.." Tempest nods to the dance floor where Gee can be seen dancing with her grandma Evelyn. His family's making it clear they missed his presence. Gee's a very likeable and impressionable person, so no one forgot him. "That's if he's single."

"I don't know. We're just friends right now. Getting to know each other again," she sighs watching Gee spin her granny who wears a big smile.

"You better find out. Don't wanna miss out on him again like you did in the past," Tempest suggests staring at Mr. Ray who's motioning her back to the dance floor.

"Again? Who said–"

"He's the one," Tempest leans in kissing her daughter's temple.

"You said that about Noah."

"I said he could be the one if you wanted him to be. If you make him be the one, which it was clear you were forcing him to be. There's a difference. Gotta go. A fine man is calling me," Tempest scurries off.

Magenta sighs checking the time on her phone wondering when the night will be over. Wedding's are such a long, tedious day especially when you're in the wedding party. "Can I have this dance, Miss Lady?" She looks up seeing Gee standing over her with his hand extended.

"Do you know how to slow dance?" She asks still sitting.

"I do good enough." Hearing I Can't Stop Loving You by Kem playing her tongue curls towards the roof of her mouth trying not to smile. They used to play his music and sing their hearts out.

"Don't step on my toes," she warns while standing up.

"If I do, I don't mean nothing by it," he smiles shortly as they make their way to the dance floor.

They fall into position with one of her hands going to his shoulder and the other in his hand. He makes sure to put his other hand at an appropriate level on her back as they begin swaying with the music.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing with Jux and Pandora?" Gee makes conversation.

"Yes, I am. I don't know. I think they'd be cute together," she shrugs looking over at them. It is surprising because neither seem to be in a rush to be in a serious relationship. "They've been like this a couple years though. Since Jux is around so much seeing as we have the company together."

"I guess I've been missing out."

"Haven't you been in contact with Jux all these years?"

Gee nods. "Still not the same as hanging out, coming to stuff like this." He looks around the room then down at Gen who's been staring around his shoulder just to avoid eye contact.

I can't stop loving you
I can't help myself
And I can't get over you
No matter what I tell myself, baby

"You look amazing, by the way," Gee compliments.

"Thank you," she smiles bashfully staring into his chest. "I didn't think you even owned a suit."

"Whatchu mean? I'm on my grown man shit. You see me." She looks down at him tapping his foot that's in a dress shoe like he's Thumper from Bambi.

She laughs saying, "I indeed see you, Mr. put it on. My bad." Feeling his hand go from hers and glide down to her wrist she looks to see what he's doing.

Gee's thumb brushes against her 222 tattoo that matches his before saying, "I'm surprised you didn't get it covered up."

"Why would I do that?"

"Figured you wouldn't want anything that reminds you of me."

Gen shakes her head. "Covering it up would be a little extreme." She finally looks up as they both hold eye contact. His hand moves from her forearm back to her hand lacing his fingers into hers.

Never thought I'd love anyone else
In my weakness I think about us
And I think about the day
You left without speaking

She doesn't like this feeling. The closeness. The butterflies rising in her stomach. Her chest close to his making her heartbeat faster. Feeling a lump in her throat she clears it ripping her eyes from his.

"I need to use the bathroom," she stops the dance abruptly quickly walking away. You would've thought she was Cinderella at the royal ball and the clock hit midnight.

She did go to the bathroom for a breather, but she was gone from the reception so long she missed the bouquet and garter toss. She's now on the balcony despite it being cold outside. She took a random person's jacket from the coat check as she drinks straight from a champagne bottle thinking to herself.

She sniffles from the cold air and shedding a few tears earlier. There's too much going on to enjoy the night. Hearing the balcony door open she quickly gets herself together. "Found you. They're about to cut the cake," Gee walks out joining her. "You okay?"

"I needed to think," she says lowly looking at the view as he stops next to her.

"About?"

"Me, you..."

"Us?"

"Was there ever even an us?" She glances at him.

"There could've been."

"But there wasn't. It might be petty, however it's not as easy as I thought letting you back into my life."

"I'm trying to be your friend again, but all I get in return is more distance and a cold shoulder," he lashes out getting a little frustrated.

"Because you left me!" She gives him attitude back.

"You act like it's all my fault. You act like I had a choice. I had real life shit going on. Not that petty boyfriend shit you chose to always keep yourself in. Fighting charges, my football career not working out, thinking I had a baby on the way. I'm sorry you weren't the first or last thing on my mind."

Gen scoffs turning towards him fully. Is it attack Magenta day? "I may have put myself in 'petty boyfriend shit', but you put yourself in a lot situations your damn self. I tried warning you to stop. You getting arrested and having to leave was your fault from stupid decisions! And if I wasn't the first or last thing on your mind, keep it that way!"

Magenta tucks her bottom lip to keep from saying anything else that could further escalate this. "Why are you here? Why are you coming back in my life right now? Because you really don't give a fuck about me," she looks up at him.

"Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. I do know I regret letting our friendship fall apart," Gee says not being able to find anything else to say.

"You made a bunch of promises you couldn't keep and I believed them. We still could've been friends. You could've answered a call or text. You literally went radio silent. Now I'm supposed to welcome you with open arms and things be like they were when we were 18, 19, 20? News fuckin' flash, it doesn't work like that. From 21 through now I've been through some shit. My trust was at a minimum and now it's at zero."

"That's fine. I'm willing to start from scratch if I have to. The excuse was always the timing never being right, but things have changed."

"Why now? Why do you want to reconnect after all these years?" She urges. That small thought that he's coming back because of his connection to Caprice is still there and she wants him to admit it.

"I told you I needed to become the man that you needed me to be."

She shakes her head. "I look around and I think about how you kept in touch with everyone over the years except me. My brother, Destin, Jux, my mother. I don't get it. We were the closest. I was basically alone after you left. What's the difference between them and me?"

Gee rubs his forehead feeling stressed out. "I wasn't in love with them," he admits. Feeling her eyes becoming watery she looks away. "It was becoming way too hard just to be your friend, so I cut ties hoping the feelings would go away. Can you for one second believe what we had was special?"

Feeling a tear roll down her cheek she quickly wipes it away. She can't believes she's crying in front of him. "You hurt me. You broke my heart when you left the way you did."

"You hurt me first over and over again, but I still believe we could be something. I was already battling all those demons and I just-" He purses his lips and balls his fist bouncing it against the balcony railing. "It didn't seem worth it to hang on anymore. You were always so unsure and I couldn't leave the streets alone."

She thinks about her past conversations with Pandora, but can't bring herself to tell him. Not with how she's feeling now. "It didn't seem worth it," she repeats in a faint voice. "Wow. I can't do this right now."

She tries to walk around him, but he grabs her hand gently. Her mind and emotions were already out of control and before she could get them in check Gee's arms are around her. Once again Gen felt the rush of powerlessness that she did on the dancefloor  while in his hold earlier.

Gen's caught off guard when he kisses her softly as it quickly grows in intensity. It was evoking feelings she hasn't been capable of having in a long time. It gave her a sense of familiarity as a bunch of memories from college rush through her mind. Before she knew it she was kissing him back. Clinging to him she's overwhelmed by the needed reminder of what he could make her feel.

"Oh, y'all tryna have a private moment?" They hear making them pull apart. "My bad. Y'all gotta lighter though?" The random wedding guest pats his pockets.

In true Choice fashion as a weed connoisseur he has a marijuana bar at his wedding. It offers multiple strains of weed he's grown himself for guests to indulge in blunts and joints. People had been high all night as if it's legal in Texas, including this guest.

"Um," Gee awkwardly reaches into his slack pockets handing it to him. Gen touches her lips in embarrassment as the guy steps onto the balcony lighting his joint. He has no sense of privacy.

Magenta ruffles her hair rubbing her red nose from the cold weather and crying. "I gotta go," she grabs the champagne bottle going back inside without another word.

_________

Charges being added for Caprice? Gee learning more details about his case? Do you think he'll figure out who the Jane Doe is?

Fade getting out of prison?

Felicity's reaction? Do you think she'll still deal with Caprice despite Gen telling her the truth?

Gen & Gee's conversation?

Comment / Vote💫

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25K 826 18
"You're my drug, I can't live without you."
303K 9.3K 29
i'll love you forever (short story)
467K 28.6K 33
you was my happiness, that high i felt when around you. love aint even the word to describe it. 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐲𝐲𝐛𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞𝐞 • 2021