The Great Escape

By Apple_Brooklyn

Paranoid and frightened, Ada bears the scars of her past on her charred skin and tortured mind. Slaving away... More

Prologue- Burned
Chapter- 1
Chapter- 2
Chapter- 3
Lady Kiara
Chapter- 4
Chapter- 5
Chapter- 6
Chapter- 8
Chapter- 9
Chapter- 10
Chapter- 11
Audience Part I
Audience Part II
Chapter- 12
Chapter- 13
Chapter- 14
Chapter- 15
Chapter- 16
Chapter- 17
Chapter- 18
Chapter- 19
Chapter- 20
Chapter- 21
Chapter-22
Chapter - 23
Chapter-24

Chapter- 7

118 16 87
By Apple_Brooklyn

Misty was shaking on the ground.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she rubbed her hands in front of her and bowed back and forth while kneeling, seeking forgiveness.

Disrespect was never taken lightly.

Ada, on the other hand, stared outside the window. The red vines on her palms had finally disappeared. She let loose her clenched fists. Nonetheless, her nose still tingled, the foul stench of blood burning it.

What henceforth? Her mind raced.

She had reacted in haste and now, as she heard the violent sobbing beside her, Ada realized at what level this would be misinterpreted.

And what was that even?

She had acted so quickly and the creature had reacted with the double fold of her swiftness that she was not exactly able to decipher what it was. There were, in fact, many creatures which looked so much alike that it was hard to spot the difference between them at first glance.

Was it a ghoul with no cloak? Or worse, was it a Sut?

Ada gulped at the possibility of the creature being the latter one.

A flick on her forehead made her flinch and look up at the Lady's face, twisted into an annoyed expression.

"You have nothing to say?"

The noble woman was drenched. The droplets of murky water trickled down her forehead and face, dropping in fast succession as they reached her chin and the ends of her voluminous, loose hair. The gown she was wearing had patches where mud water had been soaked in. There were patches which were lighter than the others. Ada noted they were, however, slowly deepening in hue as the fabric soaked in the water.

Ada licked her lips. She had so much to say. But she could not. If she were alone, she could have made any excuse.

But with Misty with her, that would bore nothing for her but the title of liar because the creature was invisible to Misty.

She heard the Lady huff.

"Y—" 

A scream.

Ada was quick to stand up and whip her head towards the wide-open door.

Is the horrid creature still here?

Or did someone discover the bodies?

She fisted her skirt and took a step forward but stopped as the Lady ordered, "Stop. Stay here, both of you. I will deal with you when I come back."

No, she can't!

Danger, danger, danger!

"My Lady—" Ada started, trying her best to keep the panic off her voice.

But the Lady was already out of the door, slamming it shut behind her and locking it from outside.

Ada took in a sharp breath; her eyes widened in the state of distress. The wailing girl on the ground did not help her situation much either.

She wanted to comfort her but feared that she would lash out and blame her for her current state. So, Ada trod a few steps away from Misty and sat down near the foot of the bed with her knees tucked to her chest.

--------------------

This one was my favorite gown!  Kiara thought to herself as she locked the door.

What were they even doing in my room?

She quickly spun on her heels and her first instinct was to look for her guards. A frown marred her face as she realised they were not there.

Of course, they were not. She thought after a moment. That is the only way the two girls were—

Lady Kiara pressed her palm on her forehead and slid it down her face to her chin. She shook her palm to get the excess water out of it, then tucked her hair in a tight bun. Flash of red she had seen the moment her eyes opened as cold water made contact with her warm skin— she remembered the image yet again.

Her knights would never leave their post. Unless something happens to force them.

The Lady bit her lip. With one last look at the locked door, she paced towards the right end of the hallway, trying to locate the source of the scream.

I will interrogate the maids later.

A guard was walking her way. He stopped to bow.

"Search for the Rothewardean guards," she ordered.

"My Lady—"

"Do not cause me to repeat my words." Warning laced her low voice, making the guard scurry away.

She heard some commotion from a small room at the furthermost corner of the floor. A guard was rushing out of the room. Then she saw a maid— at most in her mid-thirties— sobbing violently; her eyes wide and puffy, body shaking, sweat dripping down her face.

Another one, a little more aged than the prior, was holding her close as she escorted her out of the room.

Kiara frowned as she approached the maids.

"What happened here?" She softly whispered, afraid that raising her voice even barely would shatter the already hysterical woman.

"My—" The older maid started greeting but Kiara was quick to hold up her palm.

"You should get her to her room. She looks like she will faint." She patted the woman lightly and walked towards the room.

Two guards were in there when she entered the room. They were standing near a small door on the ground, which they had left open and were gazing down at. There was a queer smell lingering in the air as she stepped further into what looked like a small storeroom.

One of the guards sensed her presence. "My Lady!" He bowed, and the second guard followed the suit.

"Please allow us to escort you back to your room."

"I will. But what was all that about?" Kiara gestured towards outside.

The guards looked at each other, uncertainty washing over their faces. After a minute of silence, Kiara lightly knocked at the surface of the small piece of furniture placed near her. "I am waiting. I despise waiting."

She instantly regretted touching it as her knuckles were covered with specks of dust and a spider's web got stuck on them.

The first guard started speaking but was immediately cut off by the sound of heavy footsteps, getting louder every second.

Lady Kiara turned around to see more guards marching towards the room with their armsman on the front.

"My Lady—" The armsman bowed as soon as he came inside the room, his long sandy blond hair tied back in a pony. "I will escort you to your room." He handed the lamp he was holding in his hand to the guards standing behind Kiara.

He passed her a look as he saw the wet dress, his light red eyes looking at her with a silent question, but Kiara chose to ignore it.

"What happened here?" Kiara asked again, raising one eyebrow at the half-blooded vampire.

"It is nothing that should concern you, My Lady. Please, let us—"

"What concerns me and what concerns me not— let me be the one who decides that, soldier." Lady Kiara raised an eyebrow. She walked towards him, forcing him to take few steps back.

"Disturbing the continuity of your work is hardly what I wish to do. However, since my presence has already graced this room—" she smiled at her own choice of words,"— does it not sounds better to tell me already what happened. You see, I happen to be a very curious one."

"We will—" The armsman stopped mid sentence to clear his throat to force out the squeakiness off his voice. Lady Kiara tilted her head and backed down when she realized their proximity was making him intimidated and uncomfortable.

"We will tell you, my Lady," he stated as he fiddled with his sword,"Once we know what has happened."

"I can be of assistance." Kiara smiled. "I have been told I am an excellent investigator".

"You are a guest—"

"I insist," she emphasized and turned around to stalk further into the room without waiting for him to answer.

Her gaze shifted to swipe across the room as faint smell of blood permeated in the atmosphere.

"My Lady, please—" she heard protests from behind when she glanced towards the small passage at which the two guards were staring. Only to be immediately stuck in the spot.

A blue and golden badge with the emblem of an eagle on it.

The light emitted from the lamp reflected against the splashes of blood, making them appear lighter then they were. It was lying at the feet of the guards from earlier, near the passage.

The badge of Rotheward.

They were in Sorraine, there was no one here who would wear these badges, unless it was her guards.

She had an unpleasant feeling about this.

"Where are my guards? I did not see them when I came out of my room." Kiara asked, her voice low yet clear while her eyes did not stray away from the badge.

Before the armsman could say anything, Kiara started walking towards the passage. The guards standing near the door were quick to knock it down and slam the doorway shut.

Dust blew up. Lady Kiara sat down on her toes and picked up the bloody batch. She swiped it with her thumb. Thick,wet blood collected at the sides of her fingers.

She took in a shuddering breath.

"Open the door," she ordered after a minute of observing the badge.

"My—"

Kiara huffed and pushed the guard aside. Taking a hold of the knob, she pulled it up.

She froze.

The guard beside her took a long sigh.

Hastily pushing it down, she retrieved her hand back. Her fingers burned. Her other hand held her wrist. Kiara backed away.

Across that door, laid the bodies of her knights.

All chalky and white.

Blood.

Blood was painted all across the staircase.

On the wall.

On the floor.

But the dead bodies looked deprived of it.

Twisting her fingers, she tightened her grip on her wrist. Her feet, heavy with despair and dread, moved forward. She stepped on the the first step of the stair, her white slippers squelching the pool of blood.

On the second step placed was the head of her knight— separate from the rest of his body. 

His name was Wilson. A middle aged man with an adolescent son, who was aspiring to be a physician. His wife owned a flower shop back in their hometown.

Overstepping the severed head, Lady Kiara stepped on the fourth step, her hands holding the railing for support. The blood made the stairs slippery. She flinched when her feet accidentally touched the hand of another fallen comrade. Bending down, she turned his head around.

Ralph. Young Ralph. Had just crossed twenty. The only grandson of an ill grandfather. His lower jaw was missing.

Kiara shut her eyes. The stench of blood was stronger.

Descending the stairs, she reached the heap of dead mutilated dead bodies. Some of them were Sorrainean guards. She counted her own.

Eight.

Eight of her men were dead.

They were thirteen in total.

"My Lady—" a trembling voice said from above, "We are unable to locate your guards."

Her jaw ticked brutally.

"Inform your master— Lady Kiara is waiting for him in his office. Right away."

A/N: I forgot to update this chapter yesterday lol. And you have a really angry Lady Kiara on your way :) What do you think she is going to do next?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 314 59
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...
81 5 14
"Wisteria is a beautiful kingdom, a safe haven for those who struggle from the darkness outside. However, it soon won't be regard the "perfect" kingd...
15.1K 674 63
Book one in "The Reign of The Flame" series "If she became queen, she would be the end of us all." A disinherited princess and a kingdom on the verge...
72 6 10
After the sinking of the Titanic, Mary (Sophia) de la Reue swore that she'd never love again. However, when she receives a second chance at life as a...