we the cursed, nct dream ✔

By pinkpaesta

Juno's life will never be the same. She was normal, before. But a series of unfortunate events lands her in t... More

foreword
the beginning
part one
part two
part three
part four
part five
part six
part seven
part eight
part nine
part ten
part eleven
part twelve
part thirteen
part fourteen
part fifteen
part sixteen
part seventeen
part eighteen
part nineteen
part twenty
part twenty-one
part twenty-two
part twenty-three
part twenty-four
part twenty-five
part twenty-six
part twenty-seven
part twenty-eight
part twenty-nine
part thirty
part thirty-one
part thirty-two
part thirty-three
part thirty-four
part thirty-five
part thirty-six
part thirty-seven
part thirty-eight
part thirty-nine
part forty
part forty-one
part forty-two
part forty-three
part forty-four
part forty-five
part forty-six
part forty-seven
part forty-eight
part forty-nine
part fifty
part fifty-two
part fifty-three
part fifty-four
part fifty-five
part fifty-six
part fifty-seven
part fifty-eight
part fifty-nine
part sixty
part sixty-one
part sixty-two
part sixty-three
part sixty-four
part sixty-five
part sixty-six
part sixty-seven
part sixty-eight
part sixty-nine
the end
the end pt. 2
afterword

part fifty-one

599 51 17
By pinkpaesta

the one where they wait.

part fifty-one

A month passes. Livi isn't dead.

Yet.

Juno refuses to fool herself into believing the culprit's done. They can and will strike any day now, and she still hasn't found out who they are.

And when they eventually do come for Livi, what can she do?

Even so, Juno has refused to let the girl out of her sight. The plan between the friends had been to keep tight surveillance on Juno after her coma, but Juno insisted that it was Livi they needed to watch closely. Maybe that's why it was taking their murderer so long; they weren't able to find an opportunity that would allow them to kill Livi and still remain anonymous because she was so tightly guarded.

Not for long, Juno thinks darkly. I will find them and kill them before I allow them to hurt Olivia.

She's a little startled to realize how much she means it.

By now the videos on her stolen camera are piling up quickly. Juno has been documenting everything: the conversations she's had with various students since as part of their investigation, the various places in the school she's snuck into, even her own personal feelings about everything, and those of her friends, too. She's determined to leave no stone unturned. Not in the face of this horror. Not when her best friend has become a moving target.

It is mid-March now. They graduate in three months. And yet, Juno doesn't think they're any closer to answers today than they were back in September. Where did all the time go?

More. She needs to do more.

But it is a little ironic. Everything else in Juno's life has gone to shit, but her grades have never been better. She'd finished the previous semester with astronomically high marks, and it's looking like she's on track to do the same during this second half. She should be ecstatic; does this not mean she's practically a shoo-in for university? The truth is, Juno hasn't even applied to any yet. Because she cannot be sure that she will make it out of here alive. It's macabre, but true.

Right now, Juno is loitering in the fourth floor lobby by herself, waiting for the bell to ring for the last class of the day. Well, not the last. Flair practice and Physicals are after, but they don't take as long as normal classes and only happen twice every week, so she's relieved nonetheless.

The conversation between a nearby group of boys catches her attention. "Did you hear? Apparently the murderer has a fucking list they're following."

"A list? Of what, people?"

"Yeah." Then one of them laughs. "But it's obvious that only the strong ones are getting killed off, so you shouldn't worry."

"Shut up, you bastard." Uproarious laughter. "Who do you think is next?"

"Me," another answers, and Juno rolls her eyes as they dissolve into laughs again. These guys think they're so funny. "I don't know, though. There are some bitches I would like to see gone, so fingers crossed."

"This murderer person is actually doing the rest of us a favor by getting rid of scum."

"I know. All those freakishly strong assholes used to walk around so high and mighty, but they're now six feet deep in the ground." The boy chuckles. "Aren't we better of than they are now?"

"Of course. I hope we never catch the culprit."

"I need some more people to die, but just a few. Just the ones who haven't learned and still think they're the shit just because they destroy the rest of us in Physicals."

"Write a list. Maybe our culprit would be happy to oblige." They laugh again.

Juno pushes off the wall, unable to stand it anymore. "Let's not make fun of dead people," she says, voice catching the group's attention. "Anything could happen. That could be you soon, "six feet deep in the ground." Would you want you to be shit-talked like this?"

"Is that a threat, Mother Teresa?" One of them steps the slightest bit forward. "They're dead. It's not like they can hear."

"But I can. And your voices make me want to vomit, so shut up."

"Hey, Sung-ho, you might want to write this one down on your list," he calls to one of his friends, but his eyes stay on her. "Crawled her way up to fourth place and suddenly thinks she can tell the rest of us what the fuck to do."

"That's right." Juno smiles insincerely, bringing her hands up to arrange his collar, taking pleasure in his flinch. "Watch yourself."

"And if I don't?" The nameless guy comes even closer.

"Then," Juno grins, "I will not hold back."

"I'd like to see that." He's cocky even though she's stronger than him, probably concluding that there's only so much she can do in such a public area of the school. And he's right, but not for the reason he thinks. His hand comes around her waist, pulling her flush to his chest in what he probably believes is an assertion of dominance. "I don't like bitches that talk shit."

"Neither do I," she says, and then she punches him.

The guy lets go promptly. "What the fuck?" he roars, bringing a hand up to his bleeding nose. "You crazy-!"

"Shut up." But soon, his friends are advancing on her, probably figuring that more of them means a higher chance of their success. It doesn't, of course, and Juno knows that, but for reasons undisclosed, she turns around and runs.

They follow.

Juno doesn't get very far before she slams into someone. Their hands come to steady her, and she looks up to see the boy with honey hair and constellations on his cheeks. "Oh, hello."

"Hi." Haechan cocks a brow. "Why are you running?"

She turns and points to the group of boys that were chasing her, who have suddenly stopped in their tracks and just stare back at her. "I got into a bit of an... altercation."

"Do I need to-"

"No. I'm sure they'll stay right where they are," Juno replies, raising her voice so that they can hear that last sentence. They seem at odds, trying to decide whether they should get revenge for their friend or leave without having to face two of the school's strongest students.

The group of boys turns around and walks away.

Juno smirks. At least they know when to cut their losses. "Let's get to class," Haechan tells her, taking her satchel and herding her in the other direction. "Did you break that guy's nose?" he asks as they start walking, amusement in his tone.

"Not broke, just... shifted it a little, I think."

"Ah."

"Indeed."

She waits for him to ask why, about what happened, but he does not. Haechan peeks at her again. "So, I've noticed something lately."

"What's that?"

"You've been using your flair less and less."

Juno stops, surprised by his observation. He's right. Juno has been avoiding calling upon her ability, because she's been losing control too often recently. Her outbursts are bigger and stronger. Things go flying when she'd only meant to move them a little... people get seriously hurt when she'd only meant to make a point.

There will be no death on her hands by the time she gets out of here. Except for maybe that of the killer, if it comes to that.

"So?" Haechan is still eyeing Juno, who seems to have zoned out a bit. "What's the deal?"

She looks at him. This is something that has also changed recently; their closeness. A few months ago, it would've been Jeno or Renjun or Mark or Livi she went to immediately when something was bothering her. And she still does. But Haechan is just always there, not because she seeks him out but because he just is, and while she's definitely growing too comfortable with that, he also has this way of knowing what's bothering her without her having to say a word.

Irritating, yet... refreshing.

"I'm getting stronger every single day, and it's freaking me out," Juno answers finally, honestly. "I don't know. So I'm just keeping it on the down low for a bit."

"Okay. But you do know that it takes a toll on your body as you use it less, right?"

She looks at him with surprise. "Really?"

He stares back at her. "Don't tell me you didn't know that."

"I didn't." They enter the classroom. Coding is the elective class they share, and none of their other friends are in it. He drops her bag on the seat next to his, and Juno slides into it. "I just don't want to go crazy."

"You're already crazy, Sherry," he laughs, and she snorts. Haechan casts another sidelong look at her. "But maybe you should ask Jeno, again? For help. He's the strongest in the school, after all."

"Hmm. Maybe," Juno says, but she knows she won't.

"I have them," Reina declares, entering the PC room.

"You are... so loud," Juno says, glancing pointedly at the other students that are using computers. "But thank you. Is that a full list?"

"Yes." Reina hands the papers over. "Everyone in this school whose flair usage is under 50%."

"All possible candidates for our culprit." It's about six pages full of general student profiles, Juno sees as she skimmed through. She cocks a brow as her eyes catch on one of the pictures. "Now why are you on here?"

"Because I'm weak," Reina chuckles, coming to sit beside her. "Not all of us can be the fourth strongest, babe." It's true. As of the last Flair Strength List, the one posted at the end of February, Juno had been #4 - just one spot behind Haechan. Before him were Jeno and Mark, but that was how it'd been since forever.

"What even is your flair?" Juno inquires then, realizing that she honestly does not know. She and Reina had never shared any Practice or Physicals sessions, so she'd also never seen her in action. And she wasn't one of those that called on her ability for mundane everyday activities.

"Ready?" Without warning, Reina takes her hand, and together they blink out of sight.

Juno looks down at her limbs, but she cannot see them. Then she looks to the side, but she can't see Reina, either. "What was that?"

Reina shoots her a mischievous grin. "We've gone invisible."

Juno stares at her. "You're kidding."

Reina shakes her head. "It won't last very long, because like I said, I'm weak. But it does come in handy whenever I feel like disappearing."

"I can relate to that," Juno mutters. Then she realizes. "Are we visible again?"

"We are." Reina lets go of her hand. "So, what are you planning to do with all those people?"

Juno glanced down at the stack of papers. "I'm not sure," she admits. "I think I might just go and strike up conversations with them, get a feel for, you know, how they think or act or whatever. Do some interviews."

"And Haechan will be accompanying you, right?"

"Probably," Juno replies, without thinking, and then her eyes narrow. "I'm not sure I like that look you're giving me."

"What look?" Reina blinks innocently.

"That one." Juno laughs.

Her friend just stares at her for a long moment. Then she says, "I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but I've known Donghyuck for years. Our families were really close, even before we came here."

"Okay." Juno cocks a brow. "Why? Are you into him?"

"What?! No, God, no." Reina actually recoils. Then she smirks. "Are you into him?" Juno doesn't even bother dignifying the question with a response, just leans over and lightly wraps her fingers around Reina's neck. Even she isn't actually being strangled, the other girl screams loudly. "Fine, fine, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" she yelps. "I guess you aren't into him."

Because they aren't the only ones fooling around, nobody else is fazed by their loudness. Juno dramatically dusts off her hands. "Anyway, what was the point you were even trying to make?"

Reina sits up straight. "I was going to warn you. He doesn't really do relationships, you know."

"I don't need you to tell me that," Juno scoffs. "And don't worry. I hate his guts."

"Funny, he said the same thing about you." Reina's tone is skeptical. "And yet, I don't really think either of you means it at all."

Juno just looks at her, unsure of what to say.

"But I realized the other day," the pink-haired girl continues, "that... he seems a bit different, with you."

"How?"

"Well, he doesn't seem to flirt nearly as much."

"Yes, because he hates my guts," Juno emphasizes.

"No, that's not what I mean. From him, with you, there's this consciousness." Reina cocks her head to the side. "It's almost like he gets... shy."

"Haechan?" Juno's tone is disbelieving. "Shy?"

"Yes." Reina crosses her legs and regards her friend. "So what do you think of him? Could you ever develop feelings for him?"

"I learned a long time ago that there are certain people you should never fall for. Haechan is one of them," Juno says.

"Why?"

"Well, you yourself said he doesn't do relationships."

"You sound disappointed."

"I'm not, believe me." Juno pauses. "Besides, why would I ever catch feelings? Donghyuck's a little bitch."

"So are you. Two peas in a pod."

Reina slides out of the way as Juno hand whips out to punch her lightly. "Shut up."

"But..." Reina refuses to drop it. "What if, somehow, he caught feelings for you?"

"I don't think he's ever fallen for anybody," Juno replies, "and I seriously doubt that I would be the first." Instead of continuing their little debate, she decides in favor of changing the subject. "So. When am I finally going to meet your roommate?"

Reina stills. "She's super busy. And shy."

"Not around me, she won't be." Juno's confident. "What's her name, anyway?"

"Ho Ri-el."

"Doesn't ring a bell."

"Didn't expect it to. And soon. You'll meet her soon." Reina rises. "I have some work to do, so I'm going to leave now. If you need help with anything else, let me know."

"Okay, see you." Juno beams. "And thank you." Reina nods, then leans down to place a kiss on her cheek before leaving.

And after she does, Juno just sits there. Something is making her uneasy, but she isn't sure what. She shifts uncomfortably, racking her brain.

Then she stops. It doesn't matter. There is no time to dwell on useless gut feelings. She needs to focus completely on finding this murderer and finding them fast, because she is running out of time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 178 16
THIS IS A SEQUEL, YOU HAVE TO READ 'OBSIDIAN BLACK' FIRST in which you think you're trading away a third of your life for your dream job, but you end...
34.8K 4K 44
Top - KIM TAEHYUNG Bottom - JEON JUNGKOOK VKOOK ေမာင္ကအတၱႀကီးတယ္!လိုခ်င္တာကိုလည္းရေအာင္ယူမယ္!ကိုကိုအလွေလးက ေမာင့္အပိုင္ပဲျဖစ္သင့္တာ! မောင်ကအတ္တကြီးတ...
77.9K 7.3K 40
''The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing. And an offended heart is the breeding ground of deception.'' This is the story of a girl w...
310K 18.3K 46
@donghyucked: get ur life straight yesterday u said that ur president is jung jaewon @eunhazel: listen here u dirty rat - i wrote this when i was 13...