The Woman at The End of The W...

By VRLove7

Vanessa Taylor, a sassy blue haired, tattooed cosmetologist with a mouth of a sailor was born and raised in O... More

authors note
prologue.
new message.
one.
two.
three.
four.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twentyone.
twentytwo.
twentythree.
twentyfour.
twentyfive.
twentysix.
twentyseven.
twentyeight.
twentynine.
thirty.
thirtyone.
thirtytwo.
intermission.
thirtythree.
thirtyfour.
thirtyfive.
thirtysix.
thirtyseven.
thirtyeight.
thirtynine.
forty.
fortyone.
fortytwo.
fortythree.
fortyfour.
fortyfive.
fortysix.
fortyseven.
fortyeight.
fortynine.
fifty.
fiftyone.
fiftytwo.
fiftythree.
fiftyfour.
fiftyfive.
fiftysix.
fiftyseven.
fiftyeight.
fiftynine.
sixty.
sixtyone.
sixtytwo.
sixtythree.
sixtyfour.
intermission 2.0
sixtyfive.
sixtysix.
sixtyseven.
sixtyeight.
sixtynine.
seventy.
seventyone.
seventytwo.
seventythree.
seventyfour.
seventyfive.
seventysix.
seventyseven.
seventyeight.
seventynine.
eighty.
eightyone.
eightytwo.
eightythree
eightyfour.
eightyfive.
eightysix.
eightyseven.
eightyeight.
eightynine.
ninety.
ninetyone.
ninetytwo.
ninetythree.
ninetyfour.
ninetyfive.
ninetysix.
ninetyseven.
ninetyeight.
ninetynine.
intermission 3.0
onehundred.
onehundredone.
onehundredtwo.
onehundredthree.
onehundredfour.
onehundredfive.
onehundredsix.
onehundredseven.
onehundredeight.
onehundrednine.

five.

3.3K 104 8
By VRLove7

I locate my way back shortly before nightfall, hearing some fighting amongst the group. "You used her for bait!?" It seems by the the gruff tone that Rick, Daryl and Shane, maybe Dale too, are at odds. I'm able to distinguish a few different voices coming from their own campsite. I shake my head, hoping to sneak into my tent under everyone's radar.

Eventually, I start dozing off. No longer after, I pick up on someone rustling outside of my tent. I shoot up, grabbing my knife, sitting quietly listening to the sounds around me.

"Vanessa, I know you're back," Rick's voice quietly calls out. "You missed dinner. We left some for you over by the campsite, if you're hungry."

I relax, rubbing the sleepiness out of my eyes, "yeah, thanks." I snag my coat, pulling it on. I clamber of my tent, to meet Rick face to face.

He's in stride with me as we start the trek across the darkened yard. "When Daryl came back, he told me he found you," he hesitates, "you were used as bait?"

"It's copasetic, for the good for the group, and all." I shrug, too tired to care at the moment. "I did say I had nothing else to do. Did I pass some sort of group initiation?"

He chuckles, "He was pretty upset when he got back. I heard him mention you were from Ohio."

I sigh, "yeah. I was on my way back from seeing my dad when they decided to evacuate the city. He's sick or was. I don't know. I always flew by myself," I spread my arms, "which is why I was alone when you found me."

"Glenn found me. I was shot in the line of duty. I was in a coma when the virus broke out, left in the hospital. Without him, I wouldn't have found my wife and son."

I cast a glance over at him, "so you were a cop?"

He nods, "sheriff's deputy. Shane was my partner."

"Explains what you were wearing when I met you. My impression was right!" I grin, "so it was like a family reunion, huh?"

We reach the campsite, sitting in the chair I found in the middle, eating the food they left me, graciously. Rick and I continue talking amongst ourselves, about life before it got flipped upside down. Dale saunters over, joining us. Daryl is across from me; I can feel his eyes boring into me, listening without lending anything to the conversation. I ignore him.

I stumble out of my tent the next morning, cursing myself for sleeping in. Though, it's been months since I felt safe enough to lower my guard, and sleep. I migrate over to the group; Glenn lends me a peach on my way to the little powwow around the truck. "Thanks." I grumble.

"Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high." Daryl estimates with his hand, nodding at me upon my arrival.

"It could've been anyone... Hey, Vanessa, you're about that height, did he find your old sleeping spot?" Shane pats me on the back, I shift towards him, narrowing my eyes.

Oh, I want to knock him out for touching me; I shove his hand off of me. "Yeah, cause I'm totally Harry Potter with a pussy." I roll my eyes, already over with this man today. "Short jokes, how original of you, old man." I return my attention back to the map, "anyway, It's a good lead."

"Someone isn't a morning person, are we?" Shane snickers.

"Bite me." I sneer. I turn my head away from him, making eye contact with Daryl, observing our interaction play out.

Rick speaks, disregarding our banter, "Maybe we'll pick up her trail again. "

"No maybe about it. I'm gonna borrow a horse, head up to this ridge right here, take a bird's-eye view of the whole grid. If she's up there, I'll spot her." Daryl lists off his plans for the day. I peer at him. He really wants to find this little girl. For some reason, he's taking this personal. I respect him for that. 

"Good idea."

"Maybe you'll see your chupacabra up there too. " T-dog needles Daryl.

"Chupacabra?" Rick and I question at the same time. Dale walks up from the RV to join the company.

"You never heard this? Our first night in camp, Daryl tells us that the whole thing reminds him of a time when he went squirrel hunting and he saw a chupacabra." Dale reveals. I snort as Beth's boyfriend Jimmy laughs at Daryl's expense.

"What are you braying at, jackass?" Daryl threatens Jimmy, ignoring my outburst. It's no skin off my nose. I like not being in his crosshairs—less likely I'll have an arrow in my skull.

Daryl clearly scared Jimmy, causing him to clam up. I don't blame him; at first glance Daryl seems to be someone you wouldn't want to cross. It was only a few days ago I had my first encounter with the redneck. I was pretty shaken, until I realize he's not all bad, just rough around the edges. Something tells me he's not a violent individual, though. I can picture him throwing hands when the time calls for it. Maybe. I've been wrong before.

Rick is a bit apprehensive about the news, he cocks his head, scrutinizes Daryl, "you believe in a blood-sucking dog?"

"Probably believes in vampires, werewolves, and dark wizards with no nose, too." I giggle, peering between Rick and Daryl.

"Do you believe dead people walking around?" Daryl counters, finally turning his deadly gaze at me, as Jimmy reaches to grab the shot gun sitting on the car in front of us. I wave at him, winking. He scoffs, shaking his head at me. Is that red I see on your cheeks, Mr. Dixon?

Something about this man makes it fun to tease him. I take in the shock faces around me as I poke fun at Daryl. He really only scared me when he had the crossbow in my face. Shit, I wouldn't even consider what felt as scared. Just startled. I've known scarier. Fuck, I can be scarier when the situation calls for it.

"Hey! Ever fire one before?" Rick interrogates the kid, bringing me back to reality, dragging my eyes off the redneck in front of me.

"Well, if I'm going out, I want one." Jimmy pleads.

"Yeah, and people in hell want slurpees." Daryl snaps. I snort, walking away. They really don't need my help, so I'm going on about my day, with my own plans.

"Vanessa, why don't you come train with us tomorrow? You look like you could use it. I'm a certified instructor." Shane hollers at me.

Turning around, smirking, I take in the sparkle in his eyes. He doubts my ability to take care of myself. "Nah, I'm good. My ex-hubby already taught me." I cock my head, shit eating grin paints my face when Daryl's, Ricks, and Shane's mouth drop at that revelation. I point two fingers in the shape of a gun at them, winking. I'm full of surprises, I proudly thought to myself. I'm no hunter, but I'm a great shot. "Have a good day, gentlemen." I wave, spinning on my heels, sauntering away from them. I love when I'm underestimated, it's why I never show my cards all at once.

I hear Dale chuckle, "I have a feeling there's more to that girl than any of us could fathom."

I grab my gun from Dale, heading on my own adventure. Growing up, I hated the outdoors, but after being alone so long, I find solace in it, finding peace within myself. As an introvert, I always had my small circle - Charlee, Kelly and Wren, and didn't really need anyone else's company. My social battery runs out fast after being around people for an extended period time.

I overhear branches snap as a horse comes flying by me out of nowhere. What the fuck? Suddenly, I remember, Daryl went out with a horse by himself. Fuck, I swear. I rush in the direction it came from, looking for the archer himself.

"Daryl?" I call out, hoping a herd isn't passing by this second.

A corpse stumbles in my path, without thinking, I take it down with a swift motion with my knife to its skull. At this point, it's muscle memory from being on my own for so long. I walk over the body, continuing on.

Eventually, I take a step, not realizing the ground stops. I catch myself,  forcing myself to fall backwards, so I don't stumble down the cliff. I glance down, realizing Daryl's fighting with the dead, not noticing another was close by. I take my gun out, aiming; successfully taking it down. I observe him cut ears off of walkers, grumbling to himself. I stand there unsure if I should announce my presence. I notice blood has been soaking through this green shirt. What the fuck happened?

I crotch down the second he starts to climb over the ravine, "Daryl?"

"I did better when you was missin'."He grunts out, not looking at me. Excuse me? He continues to tell me that I never took care of him, or cared, I realize he's hallucinating. Blood loss is a bitch. Whoever he is talking to must've really hurt him. I could tell he was hurting and angry over something, by his actions, and body language. But to this extent? I sigh, rubbing my face. I've been there. My face sours at the runaway thought of Owen. Soon, he turns to face me, screaming, "you best shut the hell up!"

I snicker, I didn't say anything.

When this hand reaches to the ground in front of me, I grab it with both of my mine, helping him up. He still doesn't realize I'm here, and I don't want to see him tumble back down. Though, I'm not exactly sure how to handle someone in this state.

"Jesus Christ, you're heavier than you look." I stumble back when I let go once, he is ground level with me.

"Vanessa?" He whispers. "Ya here, too?"

Too? "Uh, it's just you and I." I motion to the world around us. I glance down at his side, keeping my hands to myself, knowing he'll snap if I get close to him. "You're hurt. We need to get you back to Hershel."

"I don't need your help." He spits.

I roll my eyes, "you're one stubborn asshole. Men and their 'I'm big and bad' mentality. I'm staying with you until we get back to the farmhouse."

He scoffs, walking ahead of me. Stumbling and limping, rather. I'm not letting him out of my sight, he can be mad all he desires after he's on the mend.

He breaks through the tree line a few feet ahead of me. I pick up speed, so I don't lose the archer. I reach the where the trees open up several moments later -

BANG!

I scream as Daryl's body crumples to the ground. I dash to his side. "No! No! No!" I hear someone panic, maybe it was Rick, as I register that he's nearby. Maybe it was me. I could hear the blood rush to my ears.

"Rick! What on earth's going on out here?" Hershels stern voice calls over.

He better not be dead. I'm about to eat my words about the funeral.

"I was kidding." Daryl groans out.

"Oh my God. Oh my God, is he dead?" Andrea shouts as she runs in our direction. "Did I kill him?"

I round on her, "You stupid fucking bitch. You could've killed him! He's lucky you're a terrible shot." I punch her in the nose. "I made sure his ass got here so he wouldn't fucking die!" I snarl.

Dale and T-dog yank me off of her. I shake them off, turning to help Rick and Glenn carry Daryl in the house.

"But look at him." Glenns words oozing with concern, "what the hell happened? He's wearing ears."

Rick reaches over and rips the walker ear necklace off of Daryl and throws it before Hershel notices. "Let's keep that to ourselves." Rick faces me, "you found him?" I nod, not sure how to explain what I saw back there. Some parts I don't feel comfortable sharing with anyone.

"Guys, isn't this Sophia's?" T-dogs tone dragging our attention to the doll in Daryl's grip.

I continue to help them get him into the room so Hershel could look hm over. I walk out, I can't sit there and listen to our friendly doctor belittle our situation. When did I become so attached to some of the people here? When did I get attached to Daryl?

I stalk to my tent, fishing out my pack of cigarettes. I sit outside, lighting a cigarette. So much for quitting, I scold myself as I take a long drag.

Tonight, we were invited to eat inside the Greene's dining room. I sit in a corner next to Glenn, ignoring the awkward conversations. I catch some weird looks my way. I shrug, it's not something I'm not used to. I punched a member of the group. I let my anger get the best of me. Memories of the day replay over and over. I feel like my anger is justified. Maybe, Rick will send me packing after the display.

I finish eating, I gather my plate, head into the kitchen. Carol smiles at my entrance taking the dishes from me, handing over a tray. I cock my head at her, confused.

"Take this to Daryl for me, please." She requests, "I would, but I want to start clearing dishes for Maggie and Beth."

I nod, "sure."

On the way to his room, I play with the idea that I thought it was odd that she asked me of all people to bring this to him. We barely like each other. I just made sure he got back safely. I reach the door, knocking a second before entering to make my presence known, not waiting for his reply.

He has his back facing me, I watch him quickly pull the blanket up around his naked chest.

"How are you feeling?" I question quietly as I set the tray down. I don't know how much he remembers from the day.

"As good as I look." He grunts.

"I brought you some dinner. You must be starving." I lean against the doorframe, crossing my arms.

"Thanks."

"You need to know something. What you're doing for that little girl is really commendable. I respect you for that."

"I didn't do anything Rick or Shane wouldn't have done. "

I look over at him, noting his back is still to me. "You're every bit as good as them. But I don't think Shane is all that good as he tries to appear. That man gives me the heebie jeebies. That's besides the point." When he doesn't reply, I continue. "I'm sorry for calling you an asshole the other day. I don't take kindly to the word freak. I only wanted to help... I don't want to watch anyone else die. That's why I made sure you came back today." I push off the door, "goodnight, Daryl." I walk out not waiting for his reply.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.8K 2.3K 52
it's a ๐—•๐—Ÿ๐—จ๐—˜ ๐—ช๐—ข๐—ฅ๐—Ÿ๐—— without you, it's a ๐—•๐—Ÿ๐—จ๐—˜ ๐—ช๐—ข๐—ฅ๐—Ÿ๐—— alone โ—ฆโ€ขโ—ฆ season 6 multiple ocs / love interests BOOK ONE *slow updates* โ—ฆโ€ขโ—ฆ WARNI...
6.4K 215 10
Some would say the world ended the moment the dead began to roam the earth and eat the living. Others, would say it had only just begun, because for...
29 0 10
A girl who waited her whole life for this moment was met with a cold reality check. In this story Natasha wished something more would come out of her...
4.8K 140 31
When Rossary decided to move away from home and to Atlanta, Georgia, she never once thought the world would end. Along with her friend, Matthew, Ross...