Raven Knight

By RobClark5

It's the year 2309 and the question of whether we are alone in the universe is finally answered; an answer wh... More

Chapter 1 - War of the Underworld
Chapter 2 - Europan Dream
Chapter 3 - Family Connections
Chapter 4 - The Crazy Tigers
Chapter 5 - Pure Fury
Chapter 6 - Planet Loki
Chapter 7 - Mayday, Mayday, Mayday
Chapter 8 - Dire Straights
Chapter 9 - First Contact
Chapter 10 - Bring the rain
Chapter 11 - Medevac
Chapter 12 - Grace & Brutality
Chapter 13 - Major Debrief
Chapter 14 - Queen to Knight
Chapter 15 - Blue Ravens
Chapter 16 - Conspiracy Theorist
Chapter 17 - Saviour or Executioner
Chapter 18 - Even Knights Need Queens
Chapter 19 - Behind Enemy Lines
Chapter 20 - Stuttgart
Chapter 21 - The Enemy of My Enemy
Chapter 22 - How it all Began
Chapter 23 - Dangerous Truths
Chapter 24 - The Ultimate Connection
Chapter 25 - Rehabilitation & Refocus
Chapter 26 - Hero or Villain
Chapter 27 - The Duchess Heissenberger
Chapter 28 - Ravens of the Damned
Chapter 30 - Trauma
Chapter 31 - Final Stronghold
Chapter 32 - 17th Special Operations Unit
Chapter 33 - Alea Iacta Est
Chapter 34 - The Dead Do Tell Tales
Chapter 35 - Fury of a Raven
Chapter 36 - Incarcerated
Chapter 37 - Vive La Resistance
Appendix I - Individuals
Appendix II - Rank Structure & Acronyms

Chapter 29 - Assassin

479 45 7
By RobClark5

11th September 2311 13:16 EST - Silence was a bizarre entity. At times, it was welcoming and longed to be embraced, an opportunity to reflect and take stock, yet at this time it was undesirable and grating.

As the silence between Jason and Donnelly taunted him mercilessly, Jason's thoughts were bombarding him like a tsunami, crashing his psyche with loud unwelcome reflections.

The weapon discharge had scraped the security chief Jackson's forehead, leaving him in agony and a singed scar on his temple as the two Blue Ravens had made for the exit.

Relief had initially gripped Jason, glad that the shot was not an execution, but when the silence hit, so did the questions. Was it mercy, or had Donnelly left him to a much worse fate as the facility was set to self destruct in just over twenty minutes? Was the woman he had fallen in love with actually some psychotic murderer or was she simply doing what must be done to keep up the pretence? What sacrifices must be made to expose those responsible for some of the greatest war crimes in centuries? Could he live with himself for what he had done?

What had he done, though? Until now, he had acted in self-defence and stood by as Donnelly began her act of terror. And there it was, the realisation of it all that he had actually done nothing, and by doing nothing, he had made himself an accomplice.

Glancing over towards Donnelly, her facial expressions were ones he had not seen before. He had seen her angry, sad, frustrated, happy, gleeful and peaceful, but what he saw now was something new, something that he had only seen a handful of times before on the battlefield, specifically after the crash landing on Loki. There was devastation, hopelessness and bitterness etched deeply into her pale and corrupted features, a traumatised soul aware that her next task could be the last one that shatters her soul to the core.

As they reached a door, Donnelly suddenly stopped before placing her hand on it and lowering her head. Jason could clearly hear the deep breaths that she was taking, gasping for what little she could to prepare her for the task at hand. The breaths then changed to sniffles and when a tear dropped anxiously to the floor, splashing on the cold hard surface, it was then that Jason could see just how traumatised she was.

For the first time since the server room, she spoke, her voice cracked and hoarse, "The Ravens, they take everything from you. Take everything that makes you human."

Before Jason could react, Donnelly had already wiped her face and entered the room. As he stepped into the brightened chambers of the Duchess, he watched as Donnelly forced a smile onto her face, and it was at that moment that Jason could not believe that he had dared to doubt her.

"Josie? What on earth is happening?"

The voice was harsh and direct, cutting through the tense atmosphere like a knife. Both of the Ravens looked up, greeted by the dysfunctional disgruntled features of the Duchess Heissenberger.

"Unfortunately ma'am, we need to evacuate the facility, a major reactor failure has been diagnosed, and we've been ordered to reach the escape submersibles urgently," Donnelly replied.

"We have, my dear, not we've. Honestly, how many times must I correct you?" the Duchess responded.

"One more time?" Donnelly replied instantly, causing both women to burst into laughter. "Jackson sends his apologies for not being able to retrieve you himself."

"Oh do not concern yourself with such trivial matters, besides, I find Jackson such a bore; you are far more of an entertaining chaperone."

Donnelly smiled as she stepped towards the elderly woman who was struggling to lift herself from the bed she was resting on.

Jason gingerly followed Donnelly into the room, instantly catching the gaze of the bewildered Duchess.

"This is highly irregular, Josie?" the Duchess asked as she swung her stumpy legs around.

"I apologise, ma'am, it was deemed necessary to escort Mr Standerwick to the nearest escape submersible. Unfortunately, protocol dictates that we must all embark your vessel immediately, instead of trying to find one suitable for a man of his stature." Donnelly explained.

"Well at least he is pleasant to look at," the Duchess responded flippantly.

Jason was frustrated at how the two of them spoke so openly about him in his presence. He had encountered a few members of the aristocracy when his father attended functions during Jason's childhood. He found their aloof personalities coarse and frustrating, yet trying to identify those who had been born into their position of wealth or earned it had always been a source of amusement, especially as he studied their luxurious outfits and fake personalities.

It, perhaps, frustrated him even further when he remembered that he too was born into a position of substantial wealth. Yet he never felt more at ease than when he was deep in the dirt with his fellow soldier, side by side with his brother or sister in arms. Wealth never mattered there, nor did your upbringing or background, just that you served and protected those around you.

His thoughts had taken over his senses, and it was only when Donnelly coughed artificially that Jason returned to the room, silently watching the elderly duchess as she was escorted to the far side of the exceptionally large room.

Donnelly's eyes appeared to be full of urgency reminding Jason that the facility was likely to explode within the next ten minutes.

Reaching a hatch at the far side of the room, Donnelly placed her hand squarely on it causing the door to hiss and grunt in pain. Sliding open, behind the door revealed the plush interior of a submersible. Its glass surroundings were initially nauseating as the dark angry water enveloped it completely, but the nausea was replaced by fascination as prehistoric-looking fish felt the need to investigate the other side of the transparent material.

Donnelly escorted the Duchess to her chair, easing her into it softly as it reclined, allowing her to groan in comfort. Ensuring she remained secure, Donnelly expertly and diligently investigated all the security measures designed so nothing untoward could happen to the aristocrat.

"Everything is set, ma'am, are you content that we set off," Donnelly asked as Jason took to the copilot's seat.

"That I am," the Duchess replied, smiling as she gazed into the darkness, "I've been waiting some time for this day."

Initially confused by the response, Donnelly decided against pressing her thoughts, instead, taking to sit next to Jason.

"Do you know how to work this?" Jason asked.

"Once we release, the autopilot takes over, then we just sit back and revel in the ride," Donnelly responded, her voice bland and despondent. Reaching down for a button, she sighed before pressing it, allowing the submersible to come to life. Within moments, the creaking door had returned to its original position, groaning and complaining as it sealed itself from the outside world. A loud clunk could be heard, before a jolt took the submersible slowly away from the large, soon to be destroyed facility.

Jason watched as the facility's bright lights appeared to be numbed by the dark water around them, and as they were drowned out, all that was left was the pitiful beams extending in front of them from the submersible. Donnelly remained quiet, her eyes were closed, her lashes were wet, she knew what was to come and it would forever torment her soul as a result.

There was a brief flash, strong enough to lighten up the ocean around them, followed by a few smaller ones barely strong enough to be truly noticeable, but as the submersible rocked unconventionally, the evil deed had been confirmed complete and the many lives on the station were no more.

Donnelly sighed, contemplating how she could put mass murderer onto her resume. Anger coursed through her veins when she realised that despite the loss of life, one more life still needed to be taken, the one life which was the whole reason that she was here.

After confirming that no vessels had left the facility, she unstrapped herself, casually standing and walking towards the Duchess as she lay comfortably staring into the darkness.

As Donnelly stirred, the Duchess appeared to smile, "Is it time Jacqueline?"

Donnelly's face turned to one of horror as the Duchess looked at her peacefully. "It's Josie," she replied, hoping that it was a moment of forgetfulness.

"I am aware that you go by the name Jacqueline Donnelly and that you are a member of the United Solar Military, just as I am aware that the handsome young man that sits with you is Jason Scharn, son of Yulrian Scharn, a man wrongfully discharged and convicted of insubordination and incompetence."

Donnelly froze as she stared at the elderly lady who laid back gracefully in her reclined seat. Her face seemed lifeless and devastated by the recent revelation, and her next task appeared even more difficult than before.

"Do not threat, my dear," the Duchess explained, "for years I knew this day would come, that I had painted a target on my back the moment I gathered so much information on some of the most powerful men and women in the Human Confederate. I would be murdered, that was inevitable, either by someone's hand or the cancer that plagues my body, yet what would occur after my death was something that I needed to dictate, not by the forces of General von Striken. That is why I chose you."

"Chose me?" Donnelly asked before grabbing ahold of the nearest seat and resting her shaky unstable legs.

"You were not the first that attempted to track me down, nor would you have been the last, yet this way I can control the outcome." the Duchess smiled.

"I... I don't understand," Donnelly wept.

"The riches that I own are nothing compared to the vast amount of information I had stored on my servers. Information that could destroy some of the most powerful people in existence. Tens of thousands of people have either been removed, disappeared or executed to keep the truth hidden from the masses, a truth that started this war and continues to fuel it."

"And what is that truth?" Jason interjected.

"You already know, my boy," the Duchess smiled, "that the war was not started by the race of aliens, but by the weapons of mass destruction authorised and launched by the General himself."

"But if you knew, why not do something about it?" Jason asked.

"And who would listen to a little old lady gradually making her way to her death bed. One who has spent years in seclusion, even before obtaining this information? The voice of one batty old woman against a mighty heroic General with the backing of several members of government and other key people in the Confederate."

"And what makes you think that they will listen to the words of two soldiers?" Jason questioned.

"Both of you are masters of subterfuge and espionage. Would it not have been for Jackson's unwelcomed interference, none on my station, except myself, would have known that your end game was to end my life, or to gather the vital information which would have been lost with my final breath." The Duchess exhaled deeply, "Do not believe that you have gained a foothold over the General, he will be named President at the next election, that is for certain, and having unanimous control over key members of the government and military, the potential for him to gain absolute power of the Human Confederate is very real."

The Duchess moved around uncomfortably on her reclining chair. "Where I failed, you must succeed, for billions of lives depend on it."

Thoughts ran rampant through Jason's mind. How was it possible that General von Striken was capable of rigging a democratic election? Who else supported his actions, and how deep did this conspiracy go?

The thoughts were broken as the whimpers from Donnelly cut through the silence, "This is insane, how can we go up against someone who is consolidating absolute power? Why is no one else doing anything about it?" then she asked the question that mattered more to her than any other, "and why did you choose me?"

The Duchess raised her frail hand and placed it softly on Donnelly's face, wiping away a rogue tear. "I was a poor mother, focused on my own personal happiness to the detriment of others, using my wealth to experience the highs that humanity has to offer, so much so that I failed to see my daughter, Irina, grow up to be a powerful, talented and exceptional woman. While I partied, she studied, while I recovered from the various drugs that plagued my system, she sat by my side, ensuring that I would eventually wake up while also ensuring that my activities remained completely discreet for my reputation. At most times, I was not even aware she was doing it."

Tears flooded the Duchess' eyes as she recollected times that brought her joy and sadness in equal measure. "The day that she informed me that she was joining the USM was the last day we ever spoke. I shouted and screamed at her, told her how selfish she was, and flung a million credit glass statue at her head. As I excommunicated her, I realised that the selfishness was not coming from her, but from within, and from that day I hated myself for it."

Grabbing a hold of Donnelly's hand, she continued, "Months before the war began, I received my very last communication from Irina, in it she said that she was part of the team that launched biological weapons on an alien satellite, as it was deemed to hold significant resources that could take steps to advance humanity. Ordered by General von Striken, they wanted to cleanse all life on the satellite to mine it at the earliest opportunity, yet they had miscalculated that the indigenous life, was in fact a spacefaring race, and retribution was inevitable." The Duchess took a deep breath as her voice broke, "She warned that all members of her team had mysteriously disappeared or killed in bizarre accidental circumstance and that it would be a matter of time before she would endure the same fate. A couple of days later I received confirmation of her death in a scientific experiment that went awry."

Her dulled eyes turned away from Donnelly for a moment, "I... I remember her last words to me were of forgiveness and love, while my last words were of hate and spitefulness," she stuttered, "I have longed for death since that moment."

The Duchess' gaze returned to Donnelly, "You remind me of her," she smiled, "her strength, her intelligence, her determination, her empathy. You were positioned in the right place for this end game, had the correct allegiance and the right drive to succeed, but having studied you, among many others, you reminded me so much of her, my Irina, my star, that it had to be you. For no one else would have made my final days in this universe worthwhile."

As Donnelly's face continued to glisten in dampness, she leant down and embraced the Duchess tight, as if it was her own mother that lay in front of her.

"I thank you, for these last few months," the Duchess responded, "I never believed in redemption, but you have given it to me in some measure, I just ask that you and your handsome young man here complete the fight, and bring justice to my daughter and so many others that deserve it."

"You have my word," Jason responded as the Duchess' smile lingered on him.

"Now, do what you came to do, let me rest so I can be with my Irina once more."

Donnelly released the embrace and allowed the Duchess to rest in her reclining chair once again. Removing a small device from her pocket, Donnelly took the Duchess' arm, raising her sleeve so she could take ahold of the inside of her elbow. Placing the device on her skin, a small hiss could be heard, before liquid could be seen dispensing from inside the device.

Once emptied, Donnelly placed the device back in her pocket, before resting the Duchess' arm back down.

The Duchess smiled at Donnelly one last time as her eyes gradually closed, "Thank you for making this painless, it's much more than I... More than... I... Deserve."

Donnelly's gaze did not leave the Duchess as she breathed her last, the silence in the room seemed more apparent as three people's breathing was reduced to two. The more the silence continued, a groan could be heard, a groan which turned to a wail and before long, Donnelly was on the deck of the submersible on her hands and knees bellowing out an inhumane cry.

Jason jumped down to her, embracing her tightly as the cries echoed mercilessly throughout the vehicle. His confusion became apparent as he had never seen this stalwart woman break down in such a manner before, he did not know what to do except to hold her.

For some minutes, the crying continued, as did the embrace, but as it gradually stopped, Donnelly's desire to be held was waining too. Pushing herself away from Jason, she sat beside the Duchess' lifeless body. Her face was pale, her eyes appeared devoid of life, and she seemed a spectre of her former self.

Suddenly her eyes skitted around the submersible erratically causing her to stand abruptly. "We must prepare to scuttle the boat," she croaked.

Jason stood with her, confused by her sudden switch in demeanour. "Donnelly, do we need to talk?" he asked.

"We need to sabotage the vessel and exit it when we reach three hundred metres in depth. I have arranged for our extraction,"

"Donnelly?" Jason tried to interject.

"We have breathers for the ocean, but we should be picked up within five minutes of activating the beacon."

"JACQUELINE!" Jason shouted, grabbing hold of Donnelly's attention instantly.

She stopped, but her eyes continued to dart around the submersible, avoiding contact with Jason or the Duchess.

Jason took her head in his hands, eager to gain her attention, "Jacqueline, I'm here for you, you know that?"

Anger seemed to take control of her face, pushing Jason violently back without remorse. "You shouldn't be, I should be condemned for what I have done here today, you don't deserve to go down with me."

Jason pushed his way forward, grabbing and embracing her once again, despite the punches and pushes that Donnelly was inflicting on him. "No matter what you've done, or what you will do, I am here for you. I love you."

Donnelly remained quiet, but her attempts at violence were no more.

"I will get them for this," Donnelly exclaimed, "Anyone involved in Operation Rebirth, anyone associated with General von Striken, anyone who ordered me to kill the Duchess Heissenberger, I will rain fire on their schemes and tear them apart, I will make them suffer for all that has transpired this day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191 30 20
"And what will you do if you have to destroy an entire planet to end this war? Are you really willing to become a monster?" Nierhæ turned towards me...
898 88 47
How do you defeat an enemy you cannot reason with, you cannot hide from, you cannot escape, you cannot kill? For they are not truly alive. *They are...
3.1K 231 21
Humans are quite possibly the lowest level of life from what I can tell. They just come and go as they please, destroy what they please, and contain...
22.4K 17.4K 40
Spectres are agents of the Samarian Empire, the first line of defence before diplomats or the military are required. Immune from prosecution and trai...