π™Ώπ™΄π™½π™Όπ™°π™½πš‚π™·π™Έπ™Ώ - πšƒ. πš‚...

By EstellaNovella

In which a young author finds herself in Small Heath and discovers herself a mysterious muse. TOMMY SHELBY X... More

CAST
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27

6

9.5K 300 14
By EstellaNovella

Juliet was cleaning the back steps of the Garrison when the sound of hooves hitting the cobbles causes her to look up. She spots a stunning white horse and her eyes look to the equally stunning man who was holding the reins of the horse. Juliet watches the horse become spooked by the loud noises of the factory and more of the enigma that is Thomas Shelby is revealed as he soothes the horse with soft-spoken words and kindness, stroking his nose until the horse becomes calm once again.

Juliet picks up the bucket, having finished her task and sloshes it out when she spots a pair of feet jumping back to avoid the small wave of filth sloshing onto the street. Juliet has to bite her lip to prevent herself from laughing as she looks at the unimpressed face of Tommy.

"Sorry Mr Shelby," Juliet says, but the amusement in her voice made it clear to Tommy that the apology was anything but sincere. Much like the one he had given her upon their second meeting.

"Call me Tommy," The man says. "Mr Shelby makes me feel old"

"So is it not fitting?" Juliet asks and Tommy raises his eyebrows at her joke.

"I've never met a woman with such a sharp tongue," Tommy says. "Besides my Aunt Polly but she's a law unto herself"

"I'm just honest," Juliet says with a smile and Tommy nods.

"Honesty is something you like to play with isn't it, Juliet?" Tommy asks and the woman shrugs.

"Where is the fun in storytelling if there is no fiction?"

"So you enjoy telling stories?"

"Yes, my imagination is vast so it is a particular talent of mine,"

"Your imagination is refreshing," Tommy says.

"My imagination allows me to be anyone and go anywhere even when confined in a small town,"

"And who are you now?"

"That I'm still trying to discover," Juliet says before glancing to the horse once again. "What's his name?"

"He doesn't have one," Tommy says.

"A horse this beautiful deserves a name," Juliet says.

"You have something to say to me" Tommy states.

"I believe your ban on singing is wrong," Juliet says. "The men of this town trudge around miserable and yet something as simple as music brings that joy that was lost back to their hearts. Harry was too scared to ask and Grace didn't know how to approach you."

"But not you,"

"I believe I've made it quite clear that I do not fear you, Thomas," Juliet says. "And I love music, the songs all contain stories"

"Spoken like a true writer," Tommy says. "Do you like horses? Fancy earning some extra money?"

"Doing what?" Juliet was cautious of the offer, knowing nothing with Thomas Shelby came without a price.

"Dig out a nice dress. I'm taking you to the races,"

A loud bang on the Garrison door startles Juliet out of her count. Harry had wanted to spend some time with his wife and had left Juliet in charge of the money count. Juliet cautiously opens the door, worried about what could be waiting on the other side.

Once the door was open, a soaking wet Tommy Shelby was revealed to her.

"We're closed Thomas," Juliet says.

"Just get me a drink," Tommy says, sitting down at the table where Juliet had been doing the count as the woman picks up her half smoked cigarette.

Juliet allows the stick to rest between her lips as she picks a bottle of rum and two glasses before placing them on the table. Tommy grabs the bottle and pours himself and Juliet a glass of rum.

"Where's Harry?"

"Spending time with his wife," Juliet says. "I told him I'd do the count and lock up. How's the horse?"

"I just put a bullet in his head," Tommy says.

"Oh," Juliet says quietly. "Was he lame?"

"He looked at me the wrong way," Tommy says. "No one looks at Tommy Shelby the wrong way"

"And what is the wrong way to look at Tommy Shelby?"

"With anything other than respect and fear,"

"And yet I look at you with neither," Juliet says. "Does that mean I should be waiting for a bullet to enter my skull?"

"No," Tommy shakes his head.

"You just get more confusing every time you open your mouth," Juliet says.

"You know, in France," Tommy says. "In France, I got used to seeing the men die. Never got used to seeing horses die, they die badly"

"The war spared no one," Juliet says. "Man or beast. I dug out a dress as you asked. Is it Cheltenham you were asking about?"

"The King will be there," Tommy says after a nod to Juliet's question.

"Billy Kimber?" Juliet asks and Tommy looks surprised.

"How do you know that?"

"I may be a woman but I'm not stupid. He's King of the racetracks," Juliet says. "And what is it I will be doing?"

"For two pounds, you'll do what I ask you to do," Tommy says.

"I want three. If I am meeting a King, I won't be wearing a cheap dress. Also, you'll allow singing as part of the deal too"

"Since when?" Tommy asks.

"Because I know you love music too. Saturday nights, open and easy. Grace and I. Everyone gets to sing their song just like I did in London and Grace in Dublin"

"I did some digging," Tommy says. "For what you were earning in that bar in London there is no way you could afford the clothing you own"

"Bartending is not my only talent Thomas," Juliet says.

"Then I found you would visit a publisher in London often but there are no works in your name," Tommy says. "Then I thought about your initials J.M Barrie."

"You figured it out," Juliet says. "Well done. Took you longer than I was expecting"

"So the locked room?"

"My study," Juliet says. "Filled with drafts and random bursts of inspiration"

"So," Tommy leans forward. "Is Peter a villain or a hero?"

"It's ambiguous," Juliet says and Tommy watches her listening to everything she said.

"He may be a hero to some, saving boys from parents who don't want them. But he can also be viewed as a villain. It's all about the point of view of the story. The point of view characters of the story are Wendy, John and Micheal and they never find out the truth. To them, Captain Hook is just an evil pirate chasing after their friend Peter Pan for no apparent reason. The story is framed to look like a good-hearted boy who just doesn't want to grow up being chased down by an evil pirate the true situation of the story is much darker. The real story is about a psychopath who tortures people just because he finds it fun being chased down by one of his victims who has been driven mad and now goes to extremes just in the name of revenge. But as I said, it's completely ambiguous"

"Do you believe people can be viewed with such ambiguity?"

"Yes," Juliet says. "I believe they can. It's about perspective and personal moralities"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 54.2K 100
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
132K 5.5K 98
a sister who's actions are untamed, and a brother who's feelings are untamed. With complete different personalities, yet an awesome bond, the sibling...
117K 4.2K 95
'How I obsessively adore you' ˏˋ°‒*β€βž· startedβž›30/03/2024 finishedβž› ˏˋ°‒*β€βž· cover by me x