The Fumble Of A Quarterback

Door darlaH

Nora hated football more than anything else in her life. But when her father, the head coach for Ohio State U... Meer

Chapter 1: More Fun Than The Street Fair
Chapter 2: You've Met All The People Here
Chapter 3: Boba Tea Is My Jam
Chapter 5: Like To Stay Busy
Chapter 6: We Aren't Friends
Chapter 7: Team That Isn't A Team
Chapter 8: I Hated Him
Chapter 9: They Are Sharks
Chapter 10: It Makes You Hateable
Chapter 11: Nothing Escapes You
Chapter 12: Convinced I Wouldn't Date
Chapter 13: He Mentioned It So Causally
Chapter 14: The Coach's Daughter
Chapter 15: What Is His Name
Chapter 16: First Game Of The Season
Chapter 17: Football Wasn't His Life
Chapter 18: Trusts You The Most
Chapter 19: Haven't Noticed
Chapter 20: You're The First Person
Chapter 21: Placing Me In The Spotlight
Chapter 22: J-Walking Is A Crime
Chapter 23: He Misses You
Chapter 24: Like Death
Chapter 25: You Made A Mistake
Chapter 26: Saw It Coming
Chapter 27: Wasn't Expecting
Chapter 28: Tell Me More Lies
Chapter 29: Charles Will Being An Explosion
Chapter 30: Charles
Chapter 31: You Owe Me
Chapter 32: Run the article
Chapter 33: They Dated
Chapter 34: Death to the Team
Chapter 35: Did Something Terrible
Chapter 36: Never Be The Same
Chapter 37: I Still Hate Football

Chapter 4: Know Who You Are

11.4K 145 19
Door darlaH

Look out for the <>!

Darla

"ITTTTSSSSS Saturday! Boy, oh boy, do I love Saturdays. We get so much stuff done on these days," dad said as he walked into the dining room that mom and I sat at quietly eating breakfast.

Mom nodded as she scrolled on her phone, not looking up at him. "Yes, Saturdays are nice," mom said with less enthusiasm than dad. But then again, she often had less than him. I don't think I've met someone with as much energy and positivity as my dad. Dad was the dreamer, but mom was the realist. I think that was one reason they balanced each other out.

"Nojo! It's your day off. What are your plans?"

I shrugged as I took a sip of tea then stretched my aching legs. "Don't know. Maybe have a lazy day?" I stated as I thought about how I spent all week long with dad, running countless errands. As useful as I felt helping him, I was now tired and needed a break. 

"You can always go out for yoga with me," mom stated as she put her phone down, giving me full attention. Mom loved yoga like I love boba tea and was always looking for a partner to join her.

"When do you plan on going?"

"In five minutes."

I held back a sigh as I thought about how tired my legs were. But after spending so much time with dad, I thought she needed some quality time too. It had been a while since I joined her for yoga. "Sure, I'll go. Let me change really quick," I said then walked out of the dining room.

Before I knew it, I was in the car driving to yoga with mom. Moments passed in silence as I hummed the radio tune and looked out the window. Mom was always quieter than dad was. She was ok with silence, whereas dad hated it.

"So tell me all about your week and working with dad," mom said finally.

I smiled as I thought about all the projects he asked me to do. He was good at keeping me busy as I ran errands and hassled players for signed forms. Dad was just as busy which made me wonder what he would do without me. I was sure he would be much busier. "Dad is just as cheerful on the field as he is at home."

She smiled as she pushed her sunglasses up her nose. "I thought he would be."

"Have you ever seen him coach?"

"Nah, he never asked me before. I mean, I have dropped by, but never have I stayed for a whole training."

"It's pretty magical," I stated. 

Just this week, I watched him heal a broken relationship of some players, stop a fight that looked extreme, and bond with the maintenance crew. He also brokered a deal between the grass cutting person and Tad so Tad would have the chance to set the practice material up before they arrived. 

I already had an idea that Dad knew people. But seeing him in action, I realized he knew how to deal with people flawlessly. He solved problems so naturally. It was cool to see it in practice.

"I can only imagine."

"You should drop by one time, spend a few hours, see for yourself."

"Maybe I should."

"He would like that.

She chuckled. "He likes a lot of things."

I chuckled with her, knowing how easily pleased he was with almost everything. Growing up, I only saw him mad a very few times, and it was never very extreme. I honestly, couldn't remember the last time he was mad about anything.

"But maybe you have a point. I'll have to make time for it. Are you planning to go in with dad every day next week?"

One thing that I had quickly realized was that he did need the help. As tiring as it was, I should be there for him and provide as much help as I could manage. So as long as he went to the training, I would go with him. "Planning on it."

She turned into a small parking lot in back of a brick two story building. "Ok, well, I think I'll make the trip to see both of my superstars."

I smiled, liking that idea of having mom show up at practice. It would really be a family endeavor then, which sounded so special to me. 

"Sounds like a plan." With that, we got out of the car with yoga mats in hand to get to the second floor of the brick building where mom had been participating in yoga since we moved here.

The only thing different today was that I had never gone at this time before. Sure, I have gone on Saturdays to yoga, but never this early.

"I think this is going to be an easy yoga day," mom said as we walked up the stairs.

"Good. I need something easy."

Working for dad forced me to walk all over the stadium and also campus. I was walking around more than I did when school was in session. My feet were not used to that, and I needed a casual practice to help me get into shape.

"Dad's not working you too hard, right?" she asked with concern as we walked into the yoga studio.

I shook my head. I saw how the players trained; I knew he could work me much harder. "Nah, I'm fine. It's been all very lively."

Mom smiled as she set up our yoga mats on the floor. "Good. But if you are getting too tired, don't be afraid to tell him. You can take a break if you need. That's one good side to having dad as your boss."

Taking breaks were not on my agenda. If dad was there, I wanted to be too. "Sure. You know I would tell him if I was too tired."

She gave me a pointed look, knowing I probably wouldn't do such a thing.

I was about to say something witty when one of mom's friends came up to talk to her. I recognized her, but I couldn't remember her name. She smiled at me before wrapping her arm around mom. 

"Hey Kate, I was hoping to see you today! Thanks for being early," she said with excited, squeaky tones that made me cringe slightly.

"I told you I would be here," mom said with a smile as she embraced her friend.

<>

Knowing mom could talk forever, my eyes traced room as I tried to find someone I knew. Upper Arlington was a small close-knit community, so I was bound to find someone to pass the time until class started. Suddenly, I made eye contact with Everett from the football team.

My heart race in my chest. I had never seen him outside of practice before so this encounter left my hands sweaty. Out of any player I could have run into, Everett was the last person I wanted to run into. I thought about how Everett shoved Tad into the lockers the day before while dad wasn't looking. It made me sick to my stomach as I wondered if he enjoyed causing trouble. 

After Everett and his friends left, I told Tad he should report it but he didn't. I think Everett knew Tad would never report him, so that was one reason why he did it.

He waved at me which I did not return. 

Our lives were completely different. We had nothing in common except my father and I had no plan to talk to him. What would we talk about anyhow? Practice? It was one thing to see him at practice, but seeing him here, it made him more real, like he actually lived in the area.

I cast my gaze at the floor, hoping he would leave me alone, if I was lucky. Last thing I needed was for him to come and talk to me as if we were friends. 

Everett and I had never talked. I had no plans to do so either. Why would I talk to someone that shoved other players around or started fights in the locker room? 

I remembered the conversation I had with dad in the car the other day. Dad wasn't sure how to get through to Everett since he seemed to not respond to any of dad's guidance. It worried him, even if he didn't say those words to me. Dad told me there was a time last year when he was kind, and wanted to be part of the team, but during the season, things changed. Everett wasn't the kind kid dad knew anymore and he wanted to try to bring that person back. I personally had a hard time believing that Everett would ever be nice, though. I tried to think of a time when Everett could have been someone different than he was, but I couldn't even imagine it.

"It's Nora, right?" his voice rang out from beside me.

I looked up from my water bottle and met his dark eyes. He towered over my small frame, and it made me even more uncomfortable. I don't remember him ever being so close to me before. 

My sweaty hands gripped my water bottle as I tried to figure out what to say. He was a jerk, a bully, he cared only about himself, so why was he talking to me? "Yeah. That's me."

"I don't think I've introduced myself. I'm-"

"I already know who you are," I cut him off, not wanting to give him room to talk. 

As much trouble as he was, I knew he was one of the star players. I heard the assistant coaches talking about him as if he could do anything. He must have loved that. He must live for the attention. I was sure he wanted my attention, but I would never give it to him. 

The corners of his mouth quickly fell down for a second before changing to his standard face. "Ok. So what brings you here?"

I rolled my eyes at him, wondering why he was trying so hard to talk to me. We weren't friends and we would never be. Why did he even care?  It's not like he tried hard to be friends with many on the team. "I could ask you the same question."

He smiled, but remained quiet he shoved his hands into his pockets. For a second; he looked unsure. 

Breaking us from this awkward encounter was when the teacher started class. 

My gaze switched to her for a moment before turning it back to Everett who was collecting his things.

"Well, I will see you on Monday, Nora," he stated.

I nodded, although I wasn't looking forward to it. Would he even mention this interaction with his friends? Would he treat me any differently at practice because of this? As of now, he barely looked at me, let alone talked to me. But this could change things, probably for the worse. 

"Nora, come here, you don't want to miss the stretch!" mom called out to me.

I turned to her and with a smile, walked over and sat down next to her, hoping I would forget about this encounter, just like maybe Everett would. 

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

2.4M 74K 40
Best Ranking: #5 in Teen Fiction - Preview- "Do you actually care?" he questioned, raising an eyebrow tauntingly. I grinned, trying to emulate his e...
14.7K 567 23
Desean Jackson FanFic. Kayla was the perfect example of what every parent wanted their daughter to be , she made straight A's in school , head cheerl...
388 15 36
Hannah joins college in Chicago due to her dad's job transfer, the sudden change of her environment makes her feel uncomfortable. She starts experien...
1.6K 94 30
For nineteen-year-old Aliyah Mitchell, her freshman year of college was all she could think about. From rooming with her friends, becoming a member o...