The Fumble Of A Quarterback

By darlaH

Nora hated football more than anything else in her life. But when her father, the head coach for Ohio State U... More

Chapter 1: More Fun Than The Street Fair
Chapter 2: You've Met All The People Here
Chapter 4: Know Who You Are
Chapter 5: Like To Stay Busy
Chapter 6: We Aren't Friends
Chapter 7: Team That Isn't A Team
Chapter 8: I Hated Him
Chapter 9: They Are Sharks
Chapter 10: It Makes You Hateable
Chapter 11: Nothing Escapes You
Chapter 12: Convinced I Wouldn't Date
Chapter 13: He Mentioned It So Causally
Chapter 14: The Coach's Daughter
Chapter 15: What Is His Name
Chapter 16: First Game Of The Season
Chapter 17: Football Wasn't His Life
Chapter 18: Trusts You The Most
Chapter 19: Haven't Noticed
Chapter 20: You're The First Person
Chapter 21: Placing Me In The Spotlight
Chapter 22: J-Walking Is A Crime
Chapter 23: He Misses You
Chapter 24: Like Death
Chapter 25: You Made A Mistake
Chapter 26: Saw It Coming
Chapter 27: Wasn't Expecting
Chapter 28: Tell Me More Lies
Chapter 29: Charles Will Being An Explosion
Chapter 30: Charles
Chapter 31: You Owe Me
Chapter 32: Run the article
Chapter 33: They Dated
Chapter 34: Death to the Team
Chapter 35: Did Something Terrible
Chapter 36: Never Be The Same
Chapter 37: I Still Hate Football

Chapter 3: Boba Tea Is My Jam

12.8K 150 56
By darlaH

Look out for the <>!!!

"Nora, are you ready in there?" dad asked as he tapped on my door the next morning.

"Of course, I am," I called out as I slipped on a pair of khakis, then opened the door to see dad also wearing a pair of khakis to match his OSU polo. 

Hi grinned as he looked out my outfit. "Why look at that. We're like two peas in a pod."

I glanced at my outfit as I wondered if I really thought like him. "Is that a good thing?"

"You bet your bottom buck it is! We're so cool, a real father daughter team! Now, come on, let's get out of here."

He was right about that. We were a team. I followed him down the stairs to see mom standing with confidence by the door, waiting for us to leave. In her manicured hands were two lunch boxes.

"Why don't you look stunning. Come here, do a little turn for me," dad said as he spun mom around as he took the lunches.

She laughed as she did a turn, allowing her diamond earrings to catch the sun light. She was more polished today than normal and I wondered what she was off to do. "I have a breakfast date with a few of the wives on the athletic faculty board."

"Please say something good about me."

She nodded. "I always do. Why do you think I go to these things?"

With a simple kiss, he left out the door and got into his SUV with me on his tail. 

As he backed out of the driveway, he shook his head and said, "I feel lucky waking up beside her every day. Your mother is the most beautiful person in the world. She's like a diamond next to a block of coal. The coal is me if you didn't get it."

I smiled. "I got you."

He returned the smile as he drove down the road. "Good, because you know, I always knew you were a smarty pants."

I chuckled as I shook my head, switching my attention out the windshield as the campus neared. 

"So, what are my jobs today?" I asked as we drove to campus.

Dad shrugged. "Have no clue, but I can promise you, it'll be fun." He finger gunned me with a wink.

I nodded. I should have expected that. Dad was always keeping me on my toes. Whatever I would be doing might not be fun, but it would be at least memorable. "Cool."

<>

Time passed and before I knew it, I was on the practice field with an massive red O on the side. I stook silently as dad gave the team some preppy talk. They all listened intently as he told them about teamwork and giving it their all. As the talk ended, and the team dispersed into different groups, ready for training. They had such determination in their eyes, making me wonder what they were thinking. Was football really their life? Were they doing this because they loved the sport?

"No no no Nora! There you are," dad said as he walked up to me with a smile.

"Here I am."

"Can you do a coffee run for me?"

I nodded. At least that was something for me to do. Hopefully that would make me feel useful because so far, I hadn't done much. "Sure, what do you want?"

"Just whatever you're getting."

I smiled as I shook my head. I told him a million times over that I hated the taste of coffee. Maybe it was another thing he wanted me to be hooked on since everyone else in the family lived off of it. "I would but rather get boba tea. That's my jam."

"Then I want that. Do they have it upstairs in the caffeteria?" he asked as his gaze turned to some windows on the second floor.

I shook my head with a chuckle. "I hardly doudt they would be offering boba for the athletes." 

He nodded. "Good point. Well, get whatever you normally buy," he said as he pulled out his credit card from his worn-out leather wallet.

I smiled, happy with any excuse to buy boba. "No need for the card. I have an app," I said as I pulled out my iphone. 

"You and your apps. I find that there are apps for everything now adays. Who knew it would turn into that." 

"I know. Crazy times we live in." 

"You gotta believe it." 

"Well, anyhow, I'll get the drinks. I'll see you later."

________________

Within thirty minutes, I was back with two cups of boba tea in my hands, walking towards dad as he blew his whistle on the field.  

"Hey Nojo! Did you know that even though the windows here, you can still get sun burnt? You should get some sunscreen on today," dad said as he held up a bottle of sunscreen. "We all know how you burn and turn red like a tomato." 

A few of the players stopped practicing to look at me. One chuckled which was enough to bring heat to my cheeks and my hands to feel sticky. 

I handed him a boba tea while he gave me sunscreen. "I don't think I need it."

"Suit yourself, but you'll wish you did when you're my age and have no skin cancer," he stated as he took a sipped of the boba tea. His excited face slowly turned to horror as he coughed, spitting up some of the tea he just drank onto the ground.

"There are tapioca balls in it," I said casually.

"What the flipping dogs is this? Are they trying to choke someone?" He looked at one player who got a cup of water from the sidelines. "Do you like boba tea, Rick?"

The play shrugged as he drank the water. "It's not bad. I like the little bubbles in it."

"Little, these things are not little. I could only imagine them getting lodged down my windpipe, like a clog in a shower drain. You know, one time I got a wad of toilet paper stuck down in the shower. That was just as clogging as these 'little' bubbles."

I shook my head. "It's called boba tea for a reason." 

Dad sipped the tea again. "It tastes fantastic though. Just not the bubbles."

"Well, drink the tea and I'll have your bubbles."

Suddenly, his attention turned to some players arguing. He blew his whistle loudly, then shouted with a preppy tone. If you didn't know him well, you wouldn't think he was mad, but I knew that tone. "Whoa now, what the flippy flip flop is going on here?" he asked as he walked over to them to give them some kind of lesson on teamwork.

I watched silently as I continued to drink my boba. 

Not knowing what to do next, I looked around to find an answer. Although since this was only my second day on the job, I had no idea what I could do. In my attempt to find something, I made eye contact with a thin tall guy around my age dressed in a black OSU shirt. 

He smiled lightly, then swung a towel over his shoulder and walked up to me. 

For a second, I panicked, unsure why he was approaching. He looked official, making me worried I was doing something wrong. I wiped my sweaty hands on my pants as I took a step back.

"Hey, I'm Tad," the guy said as he held out his hand.

"Nora," I replied as I shook it, hoping he didn't notice my damp hands.

"So, what's your job here, Nora?"

I shrugged as my attention switched to dad as he gave some kind of lecture to Everett. There was disappointment in my father's eyes, however, he didn't raise his voice. I wondered what Everett did. 

"Intern. But I do pretty much anything the head coach wants. You?" I said as nodded towards dad.

"Sounds fancy. I'm just the towel boy."

"Don't sell yourself short Tad. You're not just  the towel boy.  The team isn't the same without you. You're a pinnacle part of this team," dad said as he walked past us.

Tad thumbed to my dad then smiled. "He's one of the only people here that remembers my name."

"He's a good guy," I said as I watched dad talk to another group. My insides felt warm as thought about how I was lucky enough to have him as my father. 

"Hey, towel boy, come here and bring water," Everett said with a chuckle as his posy laughed around him.

Tad sighed and grabbed a cup of water from the nearest table and mumbled, "I'll be back."

I nodded as Tad went to give water to Everett, who dumped it on his head then crushed the cup and tossed it on the ground, making Tad pick it up. He laughed then turned his back towards him. 

Tad looked like he hated every minute of this encounter, which made me hate Everett. He gave the most problems and cared for only himself. Football was a team sport, but he was not a team player. I didn't understand how Everett managed to stay on the team. Everett was a dick. period. 

Tad came back to me and wiped a sheen of sweat from his forehead.

"How long has Everett been giving you a hard time?"

Tad chuckled as he shook his head, as if there was something I didn't get. "Practically since I started. But he gives everyone a hard time. That's just Everett."

I glared at Everett even though he was paying no attention to us as he threw a ball in the air and caught it, as if too good to play with anyone else. 

"Hey, towel boy, can you get me a Band Aid?" another player asked as he held up his bloodied finger.

"Sure thing, Shelly!" Tad said as he pulled out a band aide from his pocket and ran to help him. 

Within a minute Tad was back to talking with me. But in the small conversation we had, he was called by at least two other players. Tad didn't seem to mind. Tad remembered every player's name even though no one seemed to remember his. I wondered if it bothered him as much as it bothered me.

"The pay isn't bad for getting the opportunity to look at men in spandex every day." He winked at me before adding, "Just don't tell my girlfriend that."

I nodded, although I was shocked at his honesty even after I just met him. "Your secret is safe with me."

"Great. Thanks."

"Hey, Tad, could you run these notes to the dean? I want him to look them over," dad said as he walked up to us with a stack of papers in his hands.

"Oh, yeah, sure, I can do that." Tad took the papers and gave one more smile towards me before walking off the field.

"So I see you met Tad," dad said as he watched the players practice flipping large tires around.

I nodded. "He's nice."

"I love that kid. He's the best."

"You think everyone is the best," I pointed out.

He chuckled as he put his sunglasses on. "You better believe it! Because everyone can be the best. They just need to be reminded of this."

I chuckled as I shook my head. "Who is going to remind you?"

"Well, you can I guess."

I nodded as Tyler came up to us. "Hey Tyler," I said with a wave.

He smiled. "Hey, you remembered my name this time. I was worried I would have to introduce myself again."

My cheeks burned as my hands grew sweaty again. "I won't forget again. Promise." I promised myself it would never happen again. Maybe I wouldn't know every player's name, but I would at least know the coaches.

He nodded with a smile. "So, what do you think of running some plays today, Paul?"

Paul pulled out his phone to check the time. "Nah, these kids are tired. We don't want to keep them all day long. I say have them work on passes and we can be done for the day."

"Ok. I'll tell the rest of the assistant coaches."

"Great, you are a rock star." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 441 27
I used to not believe in love. I thought it was all just a fantasy, and that it was, Just a fantasy. Until now. Until him. Nina Carson- just moves to...
146K 1.8K 23
Annie is a part of a sportsy family. Her dad is the football coach at her school. Her brother plays football at his college. Her mother is the cheer...
18.8K 776 46
Completed. Charlie McKinley felt like he had the entire world in the palm of his hand. He was the one to finally pull the Jefferson Jackrabbits out o...
253K 6.1K 39
Summer and Bryce used to hate each other, until they found out they shared the same passion. Soccer. They fell in love with each other. But now as th...